New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond Myria (IC) - Book 2

Jyn begins to let the exhaustion take hold of her. It has been a difficult day with much fighting and running. And now the discovery of a new race of friendly people, she is overwhelmed. Although her body has taken its toll, her mind continues to run as fast as the long-legged winter deer.

After cleaning as best she can, and donning the light-weight ringmail, she looks in search of the shaman. She wants to talk to him and the statue about the history behind the standard bearers, and how the one she saw with the lizard warriors came to be. She would love their assistance in helping her device a banner worthy of a bearer and of her companions.
    Wonderful Avatar by Kain_Tempest

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jyn sways with exhaustion as she forces her feet to take her back to the large chamber. The shaman speaks with the dvarf, surrounded by other workers and she sits down to wait. Her thoughts ramble on but her body soon carries her away to sleep.

Thyr emerges some time later and watches as the cavern folk go about their lives.
    Each of them part of a small pocket dedicted to certain tasks, such as growing and farming the underground foods (watering mushrooms and worms), looking after the hatchery (turning the eggs so they get evenly heated), sewing and mending.
    Strange how easily she could see the people of Pinval below echoed in their work patterns. Save the sunlight, and the grass, and the fact that these folk are more akin to reptiles...

And of course, Pinval had no warriors to speak of. They were farmers, prey to be plundered. The Ringed Forest people had moved to this foreign terrain to protect the things their ancestors had fought for. And now they had raised their baner again and marched to war. Against Thyr's own people.

One worker turns the tongs in the super-heated lava pool with thick hide gloves. To her right, the shaman Oak takes the bronze tree and leaves the chamber with several of his people, they pass the pillars and cross the bridge. As they move off, Thyr notices Jyn slumped asleep against a wall.

The anvil and tools laid out, a pit dug and filled with sand, several large hide containers water and a pair of thick gloves. Faillune becomes more and more expectant, then the shaman's group returns with several steel bars from the vault below.

---------------------------------

It's been several hours and Thyr has been hard at work. The steel is tough and unresponsive at first. The heat is intense, making it hard to find the right malleability and to choose the best combination of airing and steaming. Thyr is hot and sweaty with a smiths red glow about her skin. The statue remains still, eyes closed and the folk of the caverns keep away, going about their business in silence.
    Two ingots of steel are finally entwined together, wrapped into a single long bar and buried in the thick dark soil to cool.
    Thyr finally sits to mop her brow and cool herself with ice water from a side chamber that trickles from the snow above.

--------------------

Activity awakens the peaceful sleepers. A strange musky odour is around as foreign bodies move about the resting chamber, setting out hides and taking turns at the water pool.
    Vesha, Noj and Ingvar find themselves surrounded by burly lizards removing armour and disrobing. A small passage to one side is used to treat a dozen wounded while the others seem to prepare to rest.

Bleary eyed but instantly aware, the three men are ignored and looking through the mass of bodies they see the shaman and the standard bearer leave the cavern again.

Standing above them a particularly tall and erect creature looks down with soft green alien eyes past a rag covered face. It bends closer and you sense a smile form under the covering, a hand reaches out to beckon you which is surprisingly delicate, pink, and fleshy.
    "You are awake. Perhaps you would join us?" the feminine voice is melifluous and soothing. She steps back a pace, and you see the small lavender-eyed lizard hanging close to her. The two invite you to stand and lead you from the chamber.

Thyr and Jyn find themselves awoken gently and led behind, up carved stone steps to an alcove that overhangs, and looks down on, the pool in the main chamber.

Water is brought in rough pottery jugs and placed on smooth stone tablets. You sit about as a group and Oak is brought to join you.
    The tall woman removes her face scarf to reveal a human face set with green saurian eyes, sharp featured and not ugly but perhaps too unhuman to be handsome. She smiles with thin lips and the gesture pulls her nose into an unintended sneer.
    "We turned back the raiders and returned to find you. Oak has spoken of you a little and I have told him of the battle. Now perhaps we can share what we know together. You can call me Yelissur. We will treat like strangers, though I hope we can be allies, despite the spirit you brought with you."
    Her manner is haughty, though her sudden precise movements remind you that she is not entirely human and you should not read her entirely like one.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-13 at 12:34 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn eases off to sleep along the wall of the cavern. She had hoped to have the energy to speak with the statue of the standard bearers and such, but fatigue overcame her. Drifting off, she dreams of a simpler time. She was maybe 8 or 9 years old and her uncle had just returned from his Voyage of Enlightenment, as such travels of discovery were called among her people. He had been gone for four years without any contact with the tribe she had been told, which is unusually long. He had returned with some vague stories of men of cold blood that had sought refuge within a fiery mountain ages ago. Many thought his tale would be proven false once all knowledge was obtained. But in her memory-filled sleep, Jyn smiles briefly. She would love to bring the truth home to her people.

As her dream shifts to her mother, Jyn is gently shaken and awakens with a start to find alien eyes upon her. Not permitting fear to overtake her, she focuses on the uniqueness of the experience and accepts her predicament with awe. Moving with Thyr to join the others, she meets a strange amalgamation of human and lizard.

"Yelissur you say? Well my name is Jyn and these are my companions Thyr, Noj, Vesha, and Ingvar. We have travelled far and I can personally say am marvelled by what I see here today. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to meet a people such as you and am truly honored. I hope allies, if not friends, can be made of us all. I do not know how long I have been sleeping, but must assume you have some knowledge of why we have delved into your mountain. The dvarf statue suggests that we must gain more knowledge and power before we continue the quest. But I hope you can impart us with further knowledge to ease the burdens of our quest," she says to Yelissur as she points out her companions as she named them.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

What do you mean by being allies despite the spirit we brought? grunts Vesha. He waves towards the statue. Surely you are glad I brought the Dvarf spirit.

5. - Top - End - #215

Your three hosts watch Jyn intently as she speaks, and briefly make motions to each other. They all seem to understand though Yellisar adds some extra words of her own.

Yellisur seems to still herself before Vesha's question, to retain calmness or prepare herself, she had been expecting an argument here perhaps.
    "It is known that dvarf do not think like any of the Peoples. They are from another world and have ideas of their own. They do not understand what it means to protect your family and those you love," she spreads a hand and motions down to the folk moving around the chamber.

I believe they favour stability above all things, surity, the predicatable. And they will only act when they see something to gain. I know that they have helped us all, that is true. I also know they could have acted to prevent horrendous things and have not."

Oak hisses his long tongue and waves a hand, palm up. Yellisur turns to look before continuing quickly.

He disagrees of course... Look how close we are to extermination again. Barely have the Peoples survived the deathly ice to build communities again, and already we have this terrible horde which will sweep us all away."

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj takes this opportunity to observe the lizard-warriors a little more closely as they file past. Even half-reassured of their good intent for the moment, Noj's quick eyes flicker across joints, measuring their gait, watching the wounded to see which wounds pain them particularly. Anything that wasn't human was Wendigo; that's how the Avalanche had seen things for ages, and it had served them well. He wasn't about to get his guts eaten because of a talking statue.

However, well conscious that his particular talents are ill-suited to any kind of negotiation, Noj merely watches on as Jyn and the shaman ply words.

Yelissur was...interesting. She was treated to an equal analysis, Ophidian eyes aside. Here and there Noj's gaze lingered...but then quickly moved again, he cursing himself silently
    Not time to be admiring that, you fool; Shiverbit have beautiful eyes, but it's never time to notice that when they're circling you...
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

"horde? You mean the Adelmada?"

8. - Top - End - #218

Yellisur eyes flick to Noj's as he looks away, then to Ingvar.

Her spawn yes, they run freely across most of the land to the south and east. The People's of Bathoc have somehow become aligned to them, their greedy rulers seek power I believe. They may all be traitors.

We could use your strength and knowledge to battle the horde. You may even be able to move amongst Bathoc's People and find what they are about.

I have led groups to find the city in the west. If the loremasters there still exist they may be able to help us defeat the horde, but I don't know how much time we have.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-17 at 06:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha grunts. These Loremasters might know more about how to free the sun.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj kicks his boot against he ground, handling the heavy worn pommel of his scimitar fretfully.
    "It sounds like...more than just us think this crazy dream o' freeing the sun is...actually possible. I had'na thought to hope."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar ponders the woman's words before speaking. "Tell us about this... Bathoc. Who are they?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr was both impressed but also disappointed by her handiwork. Her little brother had taken on the duties of a smith at Shatterhorn, he would have become an expert, and shared some of his knowledge with her, only an inkling more however than the average raider. Raiders did, after all, have to be content with ranging for long distances, so they had to be able to at least beat an edge onto their weapons.
    Her face was a mixture of determination, pride, exhaustion and sadness. She slowly shook her head as she plunged the rod into the sand, glancing at Jyn and remembering her off to help her. Her pride refused to allow another to help her with Faillune, but there was no way she could face the Adelbrood without her friend by her side.

Cooling her exposed and reddened skin with the water, she dozed off in the corner of the chamber again.

As the meeting with the new creature was conducted, Thyr had studied the being known as Yellisur intently. Her arms crossed she would lower her head, eyes closed every so often, absorbing the information. She glanced sidelong at Noj.
    "It's not impossible, just unacheivable by mortal will alone." Thyr murmurred. "If the she-witch stole the sun, then it's possible to bring it back. It has to..." Thyr is struck by a thought.
    "The people of the Column had spoken of the city to the west, they believed that the pathfinder knew the way... For that matter, who or what, are the pathfinders? And how did they come to know about the location of the fabled city?"
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

13. - Top - End - #223

Oak seems energised by your comments, and makes some replies of his own through Yellisur while the other saurian looks on with interest.

Oak reminds me that the Ringed Forest people came here to hold Mittelheim against our foes. He believes we should not try to find Tywyn, because we may find it easier to abandon our task and flee there, than to stay and fight.

The Loremasters were the first of the Men who travelled into the west and allied with the Peoples against the Vendigo.

They brought knowledge of the tribes of Men and Apekatt and agreed to bring more Men into the west as allies.
    Tywyn is the great city on the sea. It was once a city of peace, learning and trade between the Peoples, and it was the council there that blessed Raenis on his quest. The Loremasters began to collect all the knowledge they could in their archives at Tywyn, the sagas of all the Peoples and the Men and what they could learn of the Vendigo. One day they will come to rescue us.

I am not sure what the column is that you speak of, Thyr. Oak's ancestors taught us that the Loremasters were the only ones who travelled so far across Myria, from the great tribes of Men in the East to the lands of the Peoples, and to Tywyn in the far West.

Bathoc was one of the first Loremasters to come to Tywyn. He became their champion and Raenis' companion on his quest, leading the army of Men - the ones who travelled to Tywyn and became wise.

Yellisur looks at Vesha, then lowers her eyes.

I am sorry, but it is known that the tribes of Men were the chattel of the Vendigo, little more than animals and allies of the People's great enemy. Those than travelled to the west learnt much and became great sages.

Oak looks at Vesha as well, his solemn expression seeks to impress the truth of the words.
    Yellisur continues, speaking to Ingvar.

After Raenis was... trapped here, so he could never leave, it was decided that Bathoc must take the Men away and not return to Tywyn, in case the Vendigo followed him and learnt of where it is.

Not far to the south, the People's of Bathoc flourish. They live all around the western shore of a great lake, building and trading, and think themselves almost alone. They have forgotten most of their wisdom and become greedy.

Since the Wolvun come mostly from the south, there must be something between them, I believe they are allies or partners. Though I do not know what Bathoc's People could gain from it, unless they serve in fear.

Spoiler
    Show
    It occurs to Mynas that Shatterhorn was some way to the east of a large stretch of water. The prey villages were all about, extenidng to the west of Shatterhorn upto the edge of the waters.
    Ingvar also knows that there was a large body of fresh water to the south-west of Gniepr's Mill, and is away of many small communities along the edge of this lake.
    Neither of you have ever known someone to cross or circumnavigate the waters.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-17 at 06:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha thinks for a moment. It does not sound promising... perhaps the sages of Tywyn would know, but not necessarily. They wouldn't know the details... but it doesn't sound like the people of Bathoc would either. But Bathoc sounds like our best bet.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

"But if the People of Bathoc are allied with the Wulven, what safe travel can we expect in those lands? And would anyone freely share knowledge with us if it was known we work against the Wulven cause? I do not know how we can act as one with the Bathoc people, we are likely to alien to their culture," reflects Jyn on what she has heard so far.

16. - Top - End - #226

I only know that Bathoc's People look like you and speak like you, there is no chance for one of the Ringed Forest to pass among them, but for you... maybe.

Your goal to free the sun and warm the land is noble, courageous and I also admire your ambition. Yet what I know is that the Wolvun come closer and closer, that the people of Pinval are in danger, and that Mittelheim may soon be discovered. What if that Wolvun were to find the Adelmada?!

Oak nods sagely, and the idea seems to scare the younger female greatly.

We fought a war leader and his Mammut beast out on the snow. With him was a spirit-grasper who called things back from death. If these are Jarls of the Wolvun who come to find us, then how powerful are their Thanes and their Kings?
    I would ask you to help us, at least to deal them a mighty blow to weaken them, before you try to find Tywyn and the loremasters. Then you may have more time to seek what you wish.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-17 at 06:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn continues, "Whatever endeavor we partake, we are likely to need better supplies than we carry now. Luckily we were able to improve some of our gear from Raenis' vault. But if your people could assist us it would be greatly appreciated. We are low on arrows for one thing. And building a sled to help carry any provisions would be useful. But I digress, I am probably thinking too far in advance. There is too much knowledge here for me to ignore. Before we leave on whatever course is decided, I would love to speak with you some more," Jyn says directed at Yellisur and Oak.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

"Indeed, arrows would be useful.. I also would like to take a closer look at your people's bows, they are most effective in combat. Lastly," A rare smile lights up his lean face, "I would appreciate if I could trade for some cloth or leather, to fashion a tunic... more for my companions' benefit than my own." He then turns to Vesha, Noj, Thyr, and Jyn.

"So... are you all up for a little information gathering at Bathoc? We may even be able to get some supplies there."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha doesn't say anything immediately, instead stands looking into the distance. But then he speaks. Bathoc doesn't look easy. They work with the Adelmeda, and they've sold their lore. But unfortunately it looks like the best possibility we have. I don't think we have an alternative.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr thinks about the information, puzzling over it a little.
    "I've heard of a lake like the one you described close to my homeland. If all of the Cadinoc have been turned to the side of the Adelbrood, then Bathoc is the Cadinoc fort's sphere of influence." She slowly shook her head. "I may be able to stomach hiding among our enemies, but I'm afraid that I'll be found out." She pointed to the tell-tale Cadinoc tattoo on her face. "Odds are that my true allegiances will be found out faster than any others... Especially if any of my traitor kin are there."
    "Well... If the Cadinoc have turned and the Bathoc work for the Adelbrood, then you'll look like a friend. You can probably talk like a friend... But how would we make you sound and smell like one?" Faillune wondered.
    "In either case, it sounds like Mittelheim is going to be under siege soon. Pinval is doomed however. The place doesn't seem the least bit defensible and your people should neither give aid or safe haven, the brood's tracker's would just find the empty village far too suspicious and foreign warriors would be equally damning.
    "As you've said, we'd have to wipe out the entire army of them, but there's no telling how many runners and scouters that they will have scattered all over the field. Odds are, their main forces will know of resistance near Pinval and the Adelmada is as good as found."
    She sighed.
    "Needless to say, the immediate situation is pretty bleak. Unless we can break their lines of communication and command."
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

21. - Top - End - #231

Oak and Yellisur help to make you comfortable enough to stay with them for some time. As long as you can stand the food, you can take a few days to rest and make arrangements with them.
    They are keen to hear your thoughts, though some of them do not suggest easy solutions for them.
    Their knowledge of geography is excellent, helping to explain some features of the map and to find your homelands:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...p_labelled.jpg

It seems that the Ringed Forest folk have become accustomed to their way of life over many generations, though they are still not best suited to it. They have their best scouts surveying the mountains to the south, and they expect to hear warnings should any enemies be seen. The scouts cannot survive long outside, and each will return once a day.

You are offered what meager supplies they have. Weapons and arrows are not plentiful though they have the metal for you to use as you wish.
    They clearly know much about Pinval and suggest you go there for food and wood. In fact it seems that Yellisur is related to those people.

Once you have slept the remainder of the night, there is time to talk more. Very few of the wounded have died overnight and it seems the battle was successful from that point of view, if only no Wolvun had escaped to send news back to Shatterhorn.

Thyr spends the morning finishing the haft for Faillune. The dvarf provides more guidance this time, now that he has seen her skill and finished talking with Oak. The dvarf has no need to instruct or direct, some simple suggestions to Mynas allow her to choose for herself, learning to feel the flow of the steel, focussing her mind on the work and using the tools as an extension of her hands.
    When the haft is buried once more in the soil to cool, it seems much more suited to accept the teeth, the join will not be seemless but it will seem natural. Although the balance will have changed, Failune seems suited to the shape, once they are joined Thyr will just need to learn how the new weapon can be wielded. But will Failune accept the new haft as easily?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Changed to match K_T/Thyr's subsequent post

Oak takes the others around the caverns, showing the community at work.

The warrior caste live apart from the peons and barely give you any attention. The young shaman seems hostile and keeps away from you. The brief glances you catch of him, he is always snarling and gesturing wildly, always wearing white warpaint that shows wide teeth across his face.

Yellisur is there for a short time to translate for Oak. His answers to your questions are direct and simple. He knows Raenis' story in part, not much of the whole tale but much where it concerns the Ringed Forest people, their old home and their personal struggles with the Vendigo. Their exodus and new quest to defend Mittelheim fills much of their history.
    It seems that there were seven armies of the Peoples raised against the Vendigo. Their own standard has been repaired and refreshed many times but it is one of their artefacts that they are most proud of. They once had several smaller for the different warrior groups, but with so few left these have fallen away to ruin.
    The Ringed Forest people are pledged to maintain the traditions that the Peoples started together. Organised warfare, discipline in battle, planning and tactics, logistics and supply. These were the ways that they were taught to defeat the Vendigo and their hordes of Men and Apekatt.

Yellisur is keen to bring the people of Pinval into Mittelheim. They can gather together their supply and come in for defense. She is unsure what they will make of the strange race, but believes they can live together.

As the sun begins to set on the day after you arrived, you are again in a high alcove. This one is in a darkened corner up some way from the living areas. It has heat but no light from below, and you can see the sky and feel the wind when it shifts. Yellisur comes to you all with Oak behind her.
    "It seems our warriors have been in council. They did not take well to your arrival for they do not appreciate change. Oak and I have been able to speak well of you, they see your value and your use although they do not understand many of your ways.
    They wish to know what you think of the Pinval people. They also wish to know why you leave your dead to rest in the snow outside gazing at the skies. To them it is offensive and they want to know your reasons.
    "
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-20 at 03:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

After the steel rod had cooled, Thyr took it with her to the alcove, with the intent of keeping it close but to also get some information from Jyn, namely in what she ought to be doing to get better use out of the steel. When Yellisur and Oak arrive, Thyr had set herself up against one wall of the alcove, Faillune to her side along with the rod.
    "If you ask me, the people of Pinval are soft. If it weren't for us, their village would have been wiped out by a group of raiders. They've gotten by on abundance rather than ability, I certainly doubt that they'll prove to be an asset when the Adelbrood arrive in force. Moreover they're a liability." Thyr leaned forward looking at Jyn and Noj, being that they would be the ones better to describe the concept of death, that and her opinion of it was obvious, if they meant the Column, then Thyr merely ignored them because they were not her people, and in the case of those at Pinval, again, those they lost were not her kin... Not even the Cadinoc raiders slain at the tower could be considered that. Perhaps Noj could see it the same way, now that he was a tribe of one himself.

23. - Top - End - #233

Oak watches Thyr carefully as she speaks, once putting a restraining hand gently on her arm as she seems about to reply. He mimes something, accompanied by a low soft noise.
    Oak says you judge them harshly, though perhaps not unfairly.
    To me what you say seems cruel... They have done what was asked of them, I don't see that they have failed at all... except for losing the horn but that was destiny. They have maintained their traditions, their duty as Raenis gave it to them. Though they do not have the warriors they once did they were prepared to fight when needed.

Oak says that if they had bred warriors before now, they may have been more aggressive and gone seeking raiders. Then they might have neglected their other duties.
    I need to convince our Syriah that these people can be warriors again. And that their skills of the open sky are useful to us.

Yellisur bows her head and speaks more quietly. I need to convince Pine as well.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj avoids the eye of Thyr, apparently all too aware of her intent. He keeps his eyes instead on the smooth but uneven floor of the cavern.
    "Ach," he says, abruptly, "I wouldn't like to see those stupid wet-calf villagers wiped out. They're daft enough not to know a quick man from a dead one, and they're cowards, but there's some flint buried in all that chalk yet. They'll never be as good as me or Vesha or Minas, but I'll claim they can learn a thing or two, especially if they know what's coming for them."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Learn from whom? asks Vesha in his strange, windy voice. Us? We've got to go and rescue the sun.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar shakes his head in wonder, then barks a harsh laugh, his feral eyes blazing as he addresses Noj and Thyr. "Hah! What know either of you of REAL courage and strength? Sure, fighting takes skill, and that you have. But all you risk is your own life. These farmers and herdsmen you belittle toil agains predators and the vagaries of weather, and they have not the option of running... for if they do, all their loved ones starve or wither away from disease. And I have seen more self-pity in the last day in our group of so-called heroes, than most of these 'weak' farmers show in a lifetime! Bah!" He then looks back to Oak and Yellisur, and he makes an effort to calm down.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn echoes Ingvar's words internally. Why would Noj only acknowledge his or Thyr's or Vesha's skill and ignore any contribution Ingvar or she could offer? And why belittle these people?

"These people you belittle, as we learned from Raenis, were much stronger than any of us could imagine. They were strong enough to send their own to offer their life for our safety. Without their sacrifice how long ago could the Alemada have broken free from her prison and reigned death upon all the world. It is true something must be done to bolster the protection of this area, since its existance is now known."

Turning to Oak and Yellisur, Jyn continues, "Oh I forgot to ask earlier. Before we made it to the summit and were able to enter the mountain, we were attacked by some giant-like creatures. Do they have a name? And are they guardians along with your people, or they just happened to be in the mountains? "

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

I told you before, snaps Vesha, they are Apekatt, evil spirits of stone and hunger.
    He turns to Ingvar, Mynas and Noj. It is irrelevant whether they are brave or not. They will win or lose depending on how the spirits decide. It is not important. We must rescue the sun. How? That is all that matters.

29. - Top - End - #239

Oak murmurs to Yellisur as the three watch you talk. Yellisur is beaten to answer Jyn by Vesha, so she adds

Yesss, we call them Apekatt also. They came from highlands and mountain places, mostly in the East where they feuded with the tribes of Men.
    They were the most dangerous enemies that the Peoples of old faced. The Vendigo used them in their armies alongside Men. Sometimes they worked on them with their magiking and their metals to make them... fiercer.

They are little danger to larger groups, they seem to have reverted to simple beasts since the Vendigo no longer discipline them.

Yellisur pauses and looks back to Oak and then around you all.

You wish to free the sun... well, we all wish that. You have some insight into how it was captured, you have the book of sorcery that the Adelmada used. We may be able to help you find some of the places that the Vendigo used for their rites.
    You can learn from all these things, but we would ask you to first help to protect the people of Pinval, and this place from the Wolvu...

Yellisur stops with a glance at Thyr, Adelbrood., she finishes with slight embarrassment.
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-05-23 at 01:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj stands and leaves, his head bowed so that his sweat-clotted hair hangs about his eyes, masking their expression.