New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori [IC]

Chester

*I can't believe how many men I lose that way. What was so important about that book that it would have had 2 people try to steal it in the same day. Let me go inside and see what i can find out. Hey, my handcuffs!*

Chester then takes his handcuffs off of the man and searches him for any form of identification. After he is sure there is nothing else to find, he heads inside the library to see what everyone knows.

Chester Gould, P.I.! Now what has happened here, who was that man and what book did he steal?

Spoiler
    Show
    Search(1d20+3)[14]
    Investigate (1d20+9)[22]
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Miller steps out onto his doorstep and stares morosely at the dreary sky. He looks back inside at the boring apartment that he has not left for two days. After weighing his options for a few moments, he decides that a little rain never hurt anyone and he needs the exercise, so he snatches his umbrella and sets out for a walk.
    From this arises the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both: but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.
    -Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli

the average man thinks he isn't

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

((Drat! forgot to ask for your sanity check for the vanishing man, may I have one please?))

You stride through the doors into the library and find it almost devoid of life. Only an elderly lady at the front desk jabbering on the telephone ("y-yes, please! Send someone right away ... yes, I'll stay here ...") and a short, serious looking man who seems to hold the world at fault for his lack of inches. Other than his stern grey eyes, the man looks rather normal, nearly too normal. A gentleman with large wire-framed glasses hang off a large English nose, a perfectly tied tie hanging around his thin neck and prominent Adam's apple, coupled with his gray tweed jacket crammed full of notes.

((Artur and James, I'll post you guys up your next bit in a bit, I have some work to do))
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Excuse me sir. I'm going to need to question you on what you've seen here today. You were the man who yelled to me from the window, correct?

Chester says, taking his hat off and showing the gentleman his badge.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[24]
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-03-15 at 07:24 AM.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

"Yes officer, that would be me. I am Jonathan Langston, the poet and I would be glad to answer any questions for you, Mr. Gould."

Doing his best imitation of calm, Jonathan extends his hand in greeting to the PI.

"I do not know exactly what book was stolen. He ran me over before his dramatic escape and drew his firearm, saying something to the effect of 'Don't get in my way, I was just hired to get the book. I'll shoot if I have to.'

I backed off and raised my hands. I'm a poet, not a policeman. He then noticed a ring I was wearing and left.

I don't suppose you were able to stop him? I'd very much like my ring back."
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-03-14 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Decided to give a more detailed answer. I sometiems forget the slower pace of PbP
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Artur

There are several reports of note in various newspaper articles and references in the expedition notes regarding the Italian soldiers. You infer from the sources that the platoon were part of a larger force, that was sent to Africa to support General Smuts' campaign against the Germans in Rwanda-Burundi in 1916. Presumably, the Italians were intending to travel down the Red Sea from the north, into the Indian Ocean and link up with their allies in Mozambique.

However, it would appear that the forces were waylaid by Austrio-Hungarian forces in the mediterranian and were forced to land in Egypt. One newspaper account suggests that there was some discord among the Italian troops. One half wanted to return to Italy to rearm and regroup, while the other wanted to continue south. After some in-fighting, two platoons were sent back to await reinforcements, while the rest of the troops continued south, down the Nile to Thebes, then across to the Red Sea.

The expedition notes record the presence of about twenty Italian troops in the cave system. Why they had entered the cave is not noted, but there was the suggestion of some fighting in the caves. Among the items recovered from the caves, a journal of sorts was found, but your rummagings in the recovered items yield no such book. The inventory of the items that were sent here, including several pottery fragments, religious texts and ritual items are all accounted for with the exception of the journal. Although, it is possible that it was sent up to Edinborough by mistake. (It appears that the University of Edinborough had financed some of the operation and some of the findings were sent there, but the inventory list states that the journal should be with the rest of the items around you)

James

The rain drums off of your umbrella as you splash your way down the street, lost in your own thoughts.

((Where would you like to go today?))
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

With one hand in his pocket and the other gripping his umbrella, Arthur nonchalantly stolls down the street, taking in the fresh air. He heads towards the docks to watch the activity on the water.
    ((I was going to meet up with the party by walking to the library, but I'm going on vacation from the 18th to the 28th and won't be able to reply. Terribly sorry my character has begun his intro by not doing anything at all yet. I promise to be more involved when I come back.))
    From this arises the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both: but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.
    -Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli

the average man thinks he isn't

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

Artur

"Dratted lax records!" He mutters more about English efficiency or the lack thereof then heads out to the curators office.

Once there:
    "Your hospitality has been most kind good sir, however there is one item that may cast some light on my search that seems to be missing. Is there a journal that came with the Sudanese items that has, perhaps, been misplaced?" While talking to him about the findings, Artur will casually cast his eye about the office, looking for interesting items.

Spot - (1d20)[13]
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhowan

Sighing deeply and shaking his head, Rhowan puts the rat poison on a table and start rummaging for a kettle and Mr. Goldsmith's tea supply, ((if he doesn't find it he'll take his own)) when he finishes rummaging about, he turns to the room where Valerie's in.
    "Miss Valerie, you fancy some tea?
    Might not be an appropriate time, but it'll get you warm n' take the mind of th' recent events if just fer a moment"

Warm... Rhowan looks at Valerie and once again realizes her condition.
    "Oh bloody he... You must be freezing, go sit by the stove while I find a blanket"
    Not waiting for a reply, Rhowan looks around for a blanket and a couple of clean mugs or cups, making sure to put one by Mr. Goldsmith's body, along with the box of poison.
    "Oh god... what is it I'm doing?
    I'm waiting on a half-mad girl, that has just killed my landlord for performing "unspeakable acts", and I'm now helping a experienced forger cover up the fact that he was smothered to death by shadows.
    Not only that, I'm helping them escape...

Rhowan sighs again, and gives the blanket to Valerie, ignoring any protests ((well unless she becomes hysterical about the blanket belonging to Mr. Goldsmith)) and instead focuses on making the tea.
    This had turned out to be quite an unforeseen turn of events on a rainy Wednesday...
    ((Yes I just did some internal monologue, but i found it rather fitting))
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    Trouble is, they've already done so many "death of Superman" comics I have to admit I'm a bit biased about the whole idea. I say let's give him a shellfish allergy and let Aquaman or Namor kick his ass.

Are you... Local?..

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

I'm sorry Mr. Langston but do you have any proof that this man stole your ring? What did the ring look like? I find it quite peculiar that he would put the ring on before leaving the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[8]

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

Drawing himself up haughtily to his full height, Langston chillingly responds to the detectives suspicions.

"Yes, it would be quite illogical for a thief to store and hide a ring on his finger, wouldn't it. Who would think of such a thing?

Besides, I never said he wore it, Detective. I said he had it. I don't know what he did with it, I was more concerned with the pistol in my face.

Either way, I find your distrust disturbing. I warn you of a thief, he flees and a shooting match occurs.

Why, pray tell, do you think I knew he was a thief? Yes, he mentioned a book, but I never saw it. If he hadn't wagged a pistol in my face and taken my ring, I wouldn't have known anything strange about a book. Respectable people leave libraries with books all the time. You might even say that's why libraries exist."

As he speaks, Jonathan thinks to himself, "This isn't needed. The fool knows nothing, and need know nothing. He is a lackey of temporal powers, nothing more. I shall play his game...the Order is sufficiently connected to twist the Law to our ends.

Visibly calming after his tirade, Langston meekly continues,

I apologize for that, sir. It was unnecessary. I am simply...unsettled...by todays events. I beg your forgiveness. I will, of course, file a missing items sheet with the Police Department. Are there any questions you have for me?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Artur

The curator peers at the inventory before nodding. "Yes, it is possible. However, this inventory is drawn up as items come off the ship and were put into the correct trucks. I think we have one for when the items arrived at the museum, let's see ..." he rummages around his desk for the sheet. While he does, you take a moment to scan the room for interesting items. Nothing particularly grabs your attention for your current investigations, but you can see that if you do need anything usefully archaic in the future, this would certainly be a good place to start. Your musings are interrupted by a triumphant "ah ha!" The curator scans the two sheets as you peer over his shoulder. You both notice at the same time that the journal left the ship, but did not arrive at the museum. "Blast!" curses the curator "This is the third time this has happened this year! Foolish workmen!" His mild temper wanes almost immediately, however and he laughs "Well, it seems to be quite a mystery, my Germanic friend and you have the look of a curious soul. I say, if you find the journal, and whoever's been stealing our ancient oddities, you're welcome to keep it. Call it a reward, a prize for completing such a Homeric quest."

Rhowan

Valerie is totally submissive and makes her way slowly to the stove and pulls the blanket around her and over her head. Her shivering slowly begins to recede as the warm from the stove softly bathes her ghostly skin, spreading some life info her sallow face. As you busy yourself with the tea, you just about her a quite "Thank you" from under the blanket.

Jonathan

((Jonathan, I’m going to need a Bluff check, I’m afraid))
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh well. for what it's worth, I was telling the complete truth by the end.

Bluff (d20+2)[8]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

I'm sorry for offending you Mr. Langston. I was just testing you, there was no proof that the man had worn this ring for any longer than a minute or two. Here's your ring back sir. Can you please tell me anything you know of why this man was stealing the book. What else did he say to you? Also, what "Order" was he talking about.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Artur

"May I?" Artur will take the bill of lading and copy down the info on the company and any signatures or names on it. Once done, he tucks the copy into his brief and returns the original to the Curator.

"I thank you for your hospitality."
    Artur will sketch a quick bow. "Should you need anything, please feel free to contact me" He will give a calling card that has his current address written on the back.

Once out on the street, Artur will consider his next steps as he makes his way home.
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

Langston takes the ring from the detective and slips it quickly into his pocket.

"The fool. This shall be easier than I had hoped."

Responding politely to the inquiry, Langston keeps his eye out for the bobbies who should be arriving soon.

"He ran into me, and told me I was in his way, I had to leave or he'd shoot. That was the extent of our interaction. You saw everything from then on. He fled to the streets. Evidently, you were able to apprehend him. That is the sum of my knowledge."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Could you please take me to where this happened? It would be very appreciated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigate (once we get to the scene)
    (1d20+9)[18]

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

"Certainly, sir. Do you mind if I use the restroom first? It has been a stressful few moments."

With that, Langston heads to the restroom.

"I hope this works."

Jonathan slips the thief's ring onto his finger.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Artur

The name of the shipping company is Livingstone & Sons (Est. 1865). A moderately sized logistics and shipping partnership based in Liverpool's thriving docks. Amongst various illegible scrawl, which passes for handwriting these days, one name - Stephen Livingstone, seems to be the name of the man who signed for the shipment and its split.

You mull over these thoughts as you make your way home. The constant sussurrus of falling raining is most soothing and your mind begins to clear as you begin to sort though the facts of this newly discovered puzzle.

Chester

The gentleman walks away towards the restroom, leaving you alone in the front entrance with the receptionist. In the distance, you can hear the whine of a siren.

Jonathan

For a moment, you hold the ring before your finger and feel the buzz of adrenalin shoot through you. The prospect of finally experiencing, first hand, the power of the occult arts has been your amibition for so long and he you are, stood in a library toilet with such an opportunity! To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed, better than the memory, the moment of anticipation ...

You slide the ring onto your finger and feel the cold silver against your skin. YOu don't feel any different, and the world looks the same. You look down at your hands and see that your are still intact and a glance in the bathroom mirror confirms the same.

Rhowan

Valerie says nothing more for a time, but you can feel her large, blue gaze on your back as you prepare the tea. Every time you turn, however, you spot that she averts her gaze. After a time, you hear the sound of the door knocking.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

Somewhat disappointed, Jonathan leaves the restroom and heads towards the yellow trench coat wearing detective.

Waiting silently for the detectives response, Jonathan peers around the room.

Spoiler
    Show

IF he sees me and says something, or in anyway makes it obvious that he knows I'm there, I say,

"We might want to wait for the bobbies to get here Mr. Gould. I'm certain they'll have their own questions."

On the other hand, if I'm invisible I'm going to test it for a minute, and then walk out a side door.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Sorry bout the long time of inactivity, once again RL interferes))

Rhowan

Not expecting Mr. Felix to knock, Rhowan raises a brow and looks to the corpse and rat-poison before walking to the door and slowly opening it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trouble is, they've already done so many "death of Superman" comics I have to admit I'm a bit biased about the whole idea. I say let's give him a shellfish allergy and let Aquaman or Namor kick his ass.

Are you... Local?..

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

You notice Mr Langston leave the restroom and hear his remark.

Rhowan

You open the door to find Felix carrying two large suitcases. It would appear that he knocked with his foot. "Ah, good man, right then, let's crack on shall we?"

He places the suitcases on the floor and spends several minutes comforting Valerie and talking quietly. Then he stands up, opens one of the suitcases and pulls out a black leather portfolio. Inside are a selection of paper, pens, stamps and other writing tools. After about 45 minutes of painstaking work, he is done, having used a copy of your lease agreement as a basis for his handwriting forgery. The handwriting is uncannily accurate, and you realise that you are in the presence of a truely skilled man.

"Okay, this should do it, one apologetic suicide note and we're covered." He hands you the note. It reads:

The Last Confession of Gareth Goldsmith.

If you are reading this, I have left the world I had no right to be in. Hopefully this account and confession will polish this man's tainted soul so that he at least catches the smallest glimpse of paradise. Over the past few weeks, my dark hunger, my vice which has no right being penned on this Earth, reached an unbearable climax. I have performed such unspeakable acts to those poor young children that I do not deserve to live on this Earth any longer. Guilt has filled the void that satisfying my hunger has left and now I've nowhere left to turn. My only hope is that my sincere apologies and desperate request for forgiveness not fall on the deaf ears of the families I have wronged. I am so sorry for what I have become and I only my own weakness to blame. So now this tortured soul leaves this Earth, with nothing more than a whisper, a fitting end to a man who's acts should never be heard of again.

Deepest sympathies to those I have wronged,

Gareth Goldsmith.
    Last edited by Penril; 2008-03-25 at 11:30 AM.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

Yes i suppose you are right, wait here i'll be with you in a moment.

With that Chester walks back outside towards the body of the dead man and tries to get the cops attention.

Excuse me! Chester Gould P.I. This man tried to attack me.

Chester holds his badge out and waits for the men.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chester

The siren whines into silence and three policemen step down from the vehicle and you begin the familiar process of explaining things to the police. They take a statement from you and ask to look at the body first, so as not to scare anyone. They haul the body into the back of the van and prepare to enter the library to take a look at the crime scene. All of this takes about 15 minutes.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

While Chester is out with the bobbies, Jonathan quickly heads upstairs to ensure the secret chamber is closed.

After this is done, he returns downstairs and pulls out his notepad, working on his latest masterpiece-- an ode to a woman he's never met and whom he shall always love.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan and Chester

The detective, flanked by two policemen return indoors. The policemen shake the rain from their coats and peer around the dark, silent library.

((Besides the taking of statements, is there anything specific either of you wish to do? All the clues you are going to get have been laid before you ))
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mr. Langston

After dealing with the policeman, Langston begs his leave and returns upstairs to the hidden chamber and sits down to read the book he came for in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show
    If this is unfeasible do to continued police/detective presence, Langson heads home.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jonathan

The policemen are still wandering around the library, looking for clues, but in reality, making a mess and getting in the way. You decide it is more prudent to head home for now. You make your way back through the wet streets and mull over the evening's events in your head, trying to figure out what to do. Feeling more than a little disappointed at being unable to enjoy a quiet evening of plumbing the depths of the occult, you reach your home and hang your coat up on the stand. As you make your way through the hall, you notice a package on the table by the door. A chill runs down your spine. The door was locked when you left...

The package is a large oblong shape, wrapped in brown paper and secured with string. By the weight and feel of it, you recognise immediately that it is a book. Curious, you carefully untie the string, forcing the excited quiver from you hands and trying not to expect too much as you open the paper slowly, without tearing it. Inside is, as you guessed, a book. A large, simple, leather-bound affair with time-yellowed, dog-eared pages. The leather is thin and well scuffed and the faded gold lettering reads "Experimentarius"

Where there's a will, there's a way, it seems.

You rush to your study and click on the light of your desk and open the cover. The first page is blank, but resting inside is a folded piece of paper. The note reads:

Mr Langston,

Make no mistake, we are fully aware of the events that have occurred this night and rest assured, we are aware that you have no nefarious role in these actions. As part of your initiation, we grant you loan of Experimentarius for study for two weeks. However, it seems that cogs are turning earlier than we had anticipated. The book thief is but a pawn in a larger plot that we have been monitoring for some time, and now we must press deeper into this mystery and uncover the masters pulling the strings. No doubt you have uncovered some information that will lead you down the path of Truth and we place our trust in you to investigate this theft and find out who was behind it and why.

You will not be alone; however, the telephone number below may be used to contact another member of our Circle, should you need guidance, supplies or other aid. His name is Chamberlain.

Report back in 3 days to Chamberlain with your findings and we will consider your position within our organisation with a few to reallocating your skills to a more appropriate arena.

We trust you will leave at once,

-AZ

Chester

An interesting night to say the least. Two dead men, a book theft, a mysterious stranger or two ... not to mention almost being killed. Quite the web you have stumbled into. However, you have some clues. Having done everything besides dangling the library assistant out of the window, you get the title of the stolen book, "The King in Yellow" by R Davies. The book is apparently a play and the copy stolen was a first edition. Also, you have a name, Stephen Winterton.

((Make either a Research check on the book or a Gather Information check on the name))

Rhowan

You and Felix arrange the man on his bed and ingest him with rat poison. After this rather morbid activity, Felix turns to you and says "Right, this is it, your last chance to drop out. We're heading for the train station right away.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Chester

*What a life I have. I'm a P.I. and i am researching a book. Or should I start checking out things about this man, this Stephen Winterton? What better place to research than a library? I just had a brilliant idea... Is Paranormal Investigator copyrighted? Hmm I need to check that some time. Anyway, back to my research.*

Chester walks back to the librarian and his assistant and says very authoratatively.

Well, I need to get a start on research of this book and the man you told me about so i'm going to have to spend the night here at the library. No, no, don't object it's not going to do any good.

With that, Chester walks back into the maze of books to find something useful.

*Reading always makes me so tired.*

After hours of research, Chester dozes of in a chair surrounded by opened books.

Spoiler
    Show
    Research (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-03-28 at 06:45 AM.

Aidan Gasteau

A Shadow Falls

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhowan

Looking over the scene, Rhowan taken in a deep breath and slowly exhales.
    "Let us get going then, I've got little to pack, and I've little desire to remain here"
    Rhowan nods to the two and heads down into his apartment, packing a change of clothes, his tool set, a thick book, the cleaning kit and two boxes of bullets for the Tranter.
    Throwing on a thick overcoat he heads upstairs to the two.
    Spoiler
    Show

Are you... Local?..