New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Fall of the Dead: Hidden Menace

Spoiler
    Show
    Here, I like giving music to help visualize scenes.

Waterdeep, a center of civilization and trade that acted as a beacon to the people of the realms. Hundreds of people lived within it's high stone walls, secure in the knowledge that the city watch and police would keep them safe from the dangers of the wild and the monsters that prowl the land. Every day a veritable sea of humanity bustled through it's streets and alleyways to conduct their own business, receding like the tide at night to the comfort of their own homes. The Masked Lords ensured that the peace was kept and that nothing would harm the citizens under their watch, neither monsters surging up from Undermountain or the insidious agents of such places like Thay. Religions kept their peace within it's walls where in other places they might have come to words or even blows at the differences in their faiths.

All around was idle chatter about the new star in the heavens, visible only some of the time at night with the proper position or equipment, but there all the same. Panic had flown through the masses at first...people worried that it was an omen from the gods that something was amiss or they had been wronged but in the end it seemed as if it meant nothing. It was still un-explained but appeared to be benign and so people ignored it.

Waterdeep was not as safe as it appeared.

Rumors had been flying around the streets and shadowed alleyways lately, stories that a group of people had assaulted a temple of Deneir. Each story was different in what exactly had happened and what the end result was, but the consensus was the same. The newly built temple had been broken into. Close to a full week later the slips of parchment had been nailed up at reputable taverns known for their...adventuresome clientèle. Chaplain Lausk had requested the aid of anyone who thought they possessed a modicum of experience and a willingness to risk their lives if necessary...

Each of them had their own reasons...their own motives for doing it...but the five found themselves waiting in the plain hall outside of the Chaplain's office, waiting for the man to become un-busy. Acolytes and petitioners walked or hurried through the halls of the temple, built merely a stone's throw away from the North Gate. There had been some..dispute about the temple's construction, many viewing it as unnecessary since there was already a temple of Oghma in the city and by many is viewed as more of a library then a place of worship. What could possibly be here that people would risk the wrath of a church to steal?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fall of the Dead: Hidden Menace

Norgrim Giantbreaker

The dwarf off to the side of the room smelled like he had spent the night in the gutter. In fact, he probably had.

Stocky and powerfully built like most dwarves, the warrior looked almost chiseled from the stone. Nothing but sharp angles and planes, he seemed to be all muscle. He had a flat nose, bent to one side from a multitude of breaks, and dark brown eyes that seemed to light up whenever a fight was looming. His black hair and beard were coiled into tight dreadlocks interwoven with metal bands and beads and tipped at their ends with small, iron statuettes of each of the dwarven gods. The largest of these statuettes was right down the center, hanging from his beard to his breastplate, depicting Clangeddin Silverbeard. His armor was some kind of odd full-plate of dwarven make with a multitude of spikes and sharp ridges that made the dwarf look like a pincushion. His helmet was T-visored with a bull's horns set into the sides and was currently residing in the hand he wasn't using to lift a waterskin to his mouth. From the strong, alcoholic smell and color, one could surmise that it did not contain water.

The dwarf smacked his lips, some of the ale that had escaped the waterskin before he righted it soaking into his beard. He punctuated the moment with a loud, rolling belch that echoed down the hallways. "AAaaah...Nothin' like a mid-mornin' drink to make yer day tha' much better, righ' lads? Who wants a sip of the innkeeper's best?" he proclaimed loudly. "Now when I say 'best' ye'll have ta keep in mind tha' the inkeeper was not a dwarf, but it gets the job done! At least it certainly did last night! HAHAHA!!" he broke out into boisterous laughter, slamming a hand down hard on a nearby wooden bench, causing the statuettes in his beard to jump and clank together. "Come on then, who'll drink with me?! I dunna like drinkin' alone! Not when there's comp'ny to be had!"

Perhaps the dwarf was still inebriated from the night before and had decided to just steamroll the hangover into a new buzz the next morning. More likely, the spiked, obnoxious dwarf was a few ships short of a fleet. Anyway, he'd either not noticed the fact that he was currently standing in a temple drinking and yelling or just didn't care. He was more interested in the mildest chance of adventure that had been presented to each of those present that day. A chance to earn some coin, do some good, and more than likely bash a few skulls in! Now THAT was a good time! He hadn't had a decent brawl since Sundabar!
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2008-03-04 at 12:12 AM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kayden Brangane

Small and slight, for a human at least, Kayden was used to being ignored or passed over. Being inconspicuous had it's advantages after all, especially in her line of work. She was dressed in her usual, dark soft pants tucked into a pair of well worn but serviceable mid-thigh boots, a blouse and a vest. All quite demure; giving the impression of someone who was well-to-do but still worked for a living. Her short, thick, black hair stuck out from her head at odd angles, giving the impression that she had just rolled out of bed not long ago. A closer look would reveal that her black hair was oddly peppered with gray and white, odd for a human not yet in her twenties. While her hair might seem a mess, Kayden's sharp grey eyes missed little.

She had been quietly sitting on the bench leafing through a book while she waited for the chaplain. She looked up over the pages of her book every now and then to note who was passing and in which direction but other than the soft whispher of paper when she turned a page, there was little activity in her corner.

She'd noticed the dwarf right away. It was hard not to. The man reeked of stale alcohol and was obviously still deep in his cups from the night before. People like this were an anomaly to Kayden, and she did her best to hide her grimace of distaste behind her book as the dwarf loudly invited everyone and anyone to join him.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bryan Matson

A sober human bearing the trappings accustomed to clerics sat aside watching the lively dwarf reveling in his drink. His sapphire blue eyes belied the thin smile at his lips telling of an inner desire for excitement being held at bay by a strong knowledge of purpose and place.
    In a tired motion he removed his helm, brushing aside the stray brown wisps of hair. Then resting his wight against the wall and placeing the helm next to a weather worn lantern he waves his hand toward the dwarf, "I am sorry friend dwarf but i am afraid that I do not have the strength to enjoy a drink after my dawn patrol, perhaps sometime later."
    He shifts his wight and moves his attention to the others gathered in the hall, "I am Bryan Matson and am curious to know the names of the men and women courageous enough to answer a call to arms against an unknown enemy confident enough to rob a temple of the faith and then escape unscathed."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

As far as he can be from the alcohol-reeking dwarf, another figure stands silent vigil. He stands about four-and-a-half feet tall. His lean body -- most would say emaciated body, especially for a dwarf, and given the proportions of his body, he definitely was one of the stout folk -- gives him a predatory appearance. Further accentuating the predatory look is the dusky skin, cold black eyes and long -- almost beak-like -- nose, which looks as if it had been broken and poorly healed many times.

A pair of goggles hang around his neck, their smoked lenses are affixed to a stretchy canvas that looks like it ties around the back of the head. Underneath the goggles, a silver symbol on a chain can barely be glimpsed: a gloved hand holding a two-faced coin. A wide-brimmed leather hat sits atop an obviously bald head, though a short but thick iron gray beard is the only hair to be seen upon the man's head.

A black traveler's cloak hangs from his shoulders. Under the cloak, protecting the man's torso, is a shirt of mithral chain. A bulge under the cloak hides most of a well-worn, but sturdy leather pack.

A strongly muscled right hand grasps the haft of a well-crafted scythe. Affixed to the head of the scythe is a transparent black crystal, which seems to glow with a sickly, inner light. The butt of the scythe rests against the right boot of a pair. Multiple brass buckles run from the ankle to the top of the calf on these finely crafted, black leather boots.

Stuck into the man's belt is a heavy pick, in easy reach if needed.
    The dwarf seemed to resemble a raven, if nothing else.

After the dwarf's outburst, a sneer crosses the man's lips, though it quickly disappears. Great. This one will at least draw attention so I can do my business properly.

His dispassionate eyes seemed to absorb light. He looks at the others in the room. A human woman, sitting quietly reading a book. Quiet at least. And not one to join in the frivolity of strong drink. But what does she do? The younger man, a priest of some sort, asked for introductions. A talker. He too can draw attention away from me. Hrafnar waits until the others introduce themselves before following suit.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-04 at 12:21 PM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Norgrim Giantbreaker

"BAH!" Norgrim said, giving the bench another slap for emphasis. "I can respect ye for doing yer duty, lad," he said to Bryan with a firm nod, causing the statuettes in his beard to clank together again. "Aye, but dunna think yer gettin' off that easy! Soon as yer up to it we ought to get to drinkin'! Ha!"

"I'm beginnin' to think I'm scaring these other two." he motioned towards Hrafnar and Kayden, who remained silent. "Not even a polite refusal like yerself. Hmph...well, I suppose ye can't expect any more from a damn duergar anyway." he singled out Hrafnar, spitting on the ground at the mention of his cursed race. "Don't think I haven't noticed ye skulkin' over there me dark cousin! Why yer even here I dunna even know! Me and my kin have sent hunnerds 'o' ye back down into yer stinkin' holes!" he grinned at Bryan. "Seems we missed one, eh, lad?" he sneered, turning back to point a gauntleted finger at Hrafnar. "And don't be thinkin' I won't be willin' to send ye along after em if ye cross the line around me! I'm watchin' ye, motherless deep-dweller!"

Norgrim nodded with a sense of finality, as he'd said his piece and knew he'd been heard. "Ah, but I haven't introduced meself, Master Matson! I'm Norgrim, of the Clan Giantbreaker out 'o' Citadel Felbarr to the North! Son of Hargrim, I am! Pleased to make yer acquaintance!" he announced with a thump of his fist to his breastplate.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

The duergar turns his impassive look to Norgrim. "The only things about you that scares me are your smell and your manners, deserter," he says in a deep monotone. "I did not wish to speak over another in introducing myself. I am Hrafnar Steelshadow. I do not drink when I am at work or about to work, though I thank you for the offer," Hrafnar mock bows, a thin smile touching the corners of his lips. "And if I ever cross a line with you, you won't see anything. Ever. Again."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

((Click for music.))

"I ask you not to do that again my friend. The acolytes who must clean the floors after you leave would not appreciate the extra work." The speaker of that kind voice, the sort that calms in times of troubles and settles jagged nerves, was a middle-aged man. Grey-streaked black hair was swept back raggedly from a weary face, tired brown eyes observing all of you with an equally appraising look is to take a measure of your moral fiber. Clad in the vestments of Deneir, he gestures for all of you to enter into the office.

Very...loosely furnished, one could go so far as to call it empty if was not for the desk littered with scrolls and registers or the shelf full of thick tomes set against the far wall. The man takes a seat behind the desk, letting each of you decide on your own to take one of the plain wooden chairs or to stand. Leaning his elbows on his desk, the man smiles for a brief moment before he spoke once more.

"As you may guessed by now, I am Chaplain Lausk and it is I who sent out the call for aid from the community. It heartens me to see such a prompt response from the people." He says with obvious relief, his sagging shoulders lifting some if a weight had begun to be risen from them and his voice grew in eagerness and anger as he continued. "Anyway I.... We, need your help. Last week, a group of robbers, a, a, a vile den of thieves came and robbed us. Can you believe that? Robbed us!"

Chaplain Lausk paused then, taking his face into his hands, kneading it as if that would work out the obvious stress just talking about this ordeal was bringing up. When he brought himself to speak once more, his voice held none of the vigor it had a moment ago. "Not only that, they killed several of my spiritual brothers in the process, leaving their bodies on the floor of our new temple. The rats could have at least done something for our dead if they took the time to deal with theirs...."

The chaplain stood, shaking his disgust at the treatment of his fallen brothers away and neared the business at hand. Pacing across the wooden floor behind the desk and falling silent, again appraising each of you for only a moment each. His hands clutching each other behind his back as he finally turned to face you fully, stern and un-yielding in his posture. "We are most worried about what they stole; An old manuscript from our vault. I don't know what it is, or really, that it was even there until it was gone, but we simply can not let them get away with such a valuable scroll! We have used our divinations to reveal that they are heading to the Maiden's Tomb Tor outside the city, and even sent a few agents to investigate. They have not returned, so we're pretty sure they have been killed or captured by our robbers there. Now, we want you to go there and see if you can not return that manuscript to us, and we would not oppose you bringing as many of those thieves to justice as you can in the process." Lausk smiled a bit wistfully at that but quickly shakes his head and returns his attention to the four who were currently with him.

"Of course you will be compensated for your troubles..I know this could be risky...And...I know what I said before. I truly do not believe those I have sent before to still be alive, but if there are or you find their remains then please return them here. The least I can do for their efforts is ensure a burial and that their family hears of their respective fates. Are there any questions I can answer for you? I really must return to my work..if there was one un-registered item there could be more!"
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2008-03-06 at 05:43 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Bryan

Bryan's face contorts between stern anger and solid determination as the chaplain speaks. Once he is done the statue that was Bryan comes alive as he asks his question. "Yes one, would you have, or know where to find, a map of the tomb and the area around it?"
    Last edited by Parsley Man; 2008-03-06 at 06:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Kayden Brangane

Kayden listens to the talk in the hallway with growing dismay. The two dwarfs could tear each other apart for all she cared but not on her time and not while risking her skin and profit! She stands up, slamming her book shut and storing it in her pack. She's about to speak when Chaplain Lausk beats her too it. Since she's already standing, she follows him into his office...? No. More like a library, fitting considering the setting, but not very comfortable. She takes one of the far chairs, sitting with one foot on the seat and her arms clasped around the shin. She listens quietly and when the chaplain finishes she asks, "Do you know how many were involved the other night? It'd be nice to have an idea before we leave." in a soft and calm voice.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2008-03-06 at 10:58 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

The duergar listens to the Chaplain's response to the previous questions before commenting. "Justice will find them. I will see to that," he says in his deep monotone, then bows his head briefly before looking up once more to meet Chaplain Lausk's eyes. "Did they leave anything behind?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"A map of the Tomb is not something that we possess. As a new church here in Waterdeep we have not yet had time to fully stock our shelves with Deneir's bounty so to speak. I believe that if you were to poke about the public records then you may find a map of it's construction...but I would prefer you wouldn't." Lausk says in a grave tone of voice, addressing Bryan first with a hint of respect for a fellow priest. "As it stands all there are only rumors about what has happened here. If you begin poking around in the records for a map of a memorial, so soon after visiting me, then it will be a sign of weakness to every brigand or house thief looking for an easy mark. To say nothing of the damage it could possibly do in our relations with other churches. This is a mark of shame and grief good priest...we do not wish to display it to others."

Finally returning to his seat behind his desk, the chaplain leans back. "No, nothing was left behind. They were almost meticulous in their work which also makes their numbers difficult to determine. Our efforts would put the number who struck here at less the a half-dozen, though there is always the potential they met with others once outside the city." Lausk rose and walked to the door to his office, opening the door standing there before he continued. "There should be another joining you. I'm surprised at his tardiness but I assure you that his particular talents should be invaluable in your efforts. Please...I know you may have more questions but I must return to my work. If you wait, I'm sure your last companion will arrive shortly. Make all haste with your duty...if something important does lay in that tome, then I shudder to think of it falling into the wrong hands or being sold to unsavory types."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diarmud should be back tomorrow, so he should be able to join in before you lot hurry off.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2008-03-09 at 10:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

"Your losses shall be avenged," the duergar vows. "By your leave," Hrafnar bows his head briefly and spins on his heel, leaving the room quickly and with barely a sound. He returns to the waiting area, hoping to find the tardy member of the small band waiting for them. With that not the case, he returns to his previous spot and waits -- silently staring -- once more.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-10 at 03:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Bryan

Frustrated, Bryan turns and follows Hrafnar out of the room and plops down on a bench in the hallway placing his tower shield between him and the rest of the hall as he mutters under his breath.

"Nothing has changed. The desk clergy always with the 'holier-than-thou' attitude looking down on the good men in the field doing the important work, only concerned with status and appearances. Always, always with the view that the world rides on them and their god's shoulders, every effort made to hide any sign of weakness with no actual willingness to admit mistakes and then work openly to fix them. It is not like no-one knows of the robbery, yet the chaplain acted as tho it was not already on the tips of every drunks tong and any possibility of drawing attention be avoided. Hah. But what can be done? This is the way it is and one voice will not change it. I must abide."

With a deep sigh the incomprehensible turmoil behind the shield ends.

A somber face is revealed as Bryan moves the shield aside producing a silver disk with the image of a brilliant sunrise on it and begins to pray.
    Last edited by Parsley Man; 2008-03-11 at 01:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Jannoth

A towering figure stomps its way into the receiving hall of the temple, a scowl marring an ugly, grey-green face. The figure obviously has orcish blood in his veins, but one might wonder at the concentration considering the yellow-brown tusks protruding from his lips, one from the bottom jaw up..and another from the top jaw down on opposite sides of his face.

His face is sun wrinkled, and battle-hardened. A bald pate sports a ring of greasy black hair that starts at each ear and circles behind his head. It hangs limply, clumping together in some places, thinned by age, stress, or gods knows what.

Dark green pupils sit centered in slightly bloodshot eyes, themselves almost shadowed by a severely protruding brow adorned with a forest of thick black hairs. Those same eyes dart between the group gathered there, taking in their measure. His focus stops and lingers on the duergar and eventually he nods slightly to himself as he apparently answers his own question.

His voice is low and gravelly as he addresses everyone,

"Guess you're here to help with the job? I'm guessing by yer looks that yer waitin on me. Sorry 'bout that, a little runt halfling decided ta try and lift my purse. He wont be trying that again for a while. Didja already talk to tha priests or were they waitin fer me afore givin up the details?"

His speech is simple, but direct.

Taking a closer look at him, his massive frame is well over six feet tall, and his shoulders might be close to 3 feet wide. His torso is covered by a well made, shirt of chain, though not nearly as impressive as the mithril worn by Hrafnar. The shoulder of the chain sports a small quartz crystal affixed to the links. A simple cloak grey is pinned around his neck, and a few small pouches adorn the leather belt he wears. Though his hair and teeth show obvious signs of neglect, all of his clothes appear clean and neat, and his belongings seem to be very organized on his person.

His massive hands envelop the leather-wrapped handle of a greataxe that has seen its share of use. It is hard to tell if the many nicks and notches in the blade are further evidence of this, or perhaps a wicked blacksmith's idea for improving on an old standard. The wood between the two heads of the axe sports a blood red gem apparently stuck directly into the wood. A silvery warhammer rests through a loop in his belt, hanging easily at his side. The spiked back of the hammer sports an odd gold ring from which dangles bright white ivory carving of a skeletal finger. The tip of a bowstave pokes from under the corner of the cloak over his left shoulder.

A tell-tale bulge under his cloak belies the stereotypical backpack that all adventurers carry, though perhaps his bag is larger than others. Even still, if it is...he does not appear to even notice its weight across his shoulders. His stance is rigid, almost military in its exactness.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

As the half-orc enters, Hrafnar locks his raptor-gaze upon him. He gives the man a slight nod in return for his own.

"Your tardiness is of no consequence. We have been briefed by Chaplain Lausk. Now that you have arrived, we head for Maiden's Tomb Tor. I am Hrafnar Steelshadow," the duergar explains in his deep monotonal voice. Resting the scythe in the crook of his arm, Hrafnar lifts his wide-brimmed hat back onto his bald head and places the smoky-lensed goggles over his eyes, allowing the silver symbol hanging around his neck to be more clearly seen.

"More information can be diseminated as we travel. Are you prepared to see this through to its conclusion, whether it be for weal or woe?" he asks as he tilts his head to one side and awaits a response, drawing yet another comparison to the raven he seems to resemble so much.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Norgrim Giantbreaker

"Half a dozen or two hunnerd dozen, they'll all taste the blade 'o' me axe if'n they want to get in front of it." Norgrim said as everyone filed out of the room. He'd been surprisingly quiet during the small briefing, simply taking it all in. Every once in awhile he'd shake his head or make a disgusted sound and some grumpy cursing noises, causing his beard to jostle about. "This be why temples to dwarven gods have armed guards! Ye'd ne'er be seein' these shenanigans happening at the lodge 'o' Moradin or Clangeddin Silverbeard! Somethin' to think on, methinks, Chaplain, eh?" he grinned at the human priest and slapped a hand down on the desk before following the others out.

At the sight of the half-orc, Norgrim's grin fell to a disgruntled scowl, his mustache bristling like an angry mutt. "Aye...first the deep-dwelling, fungus-eating, crow-begotten duergar and NOW an orc-spawn! Who'll be joinin' us next, eh? Drow? Giants?" he said, his whole body seeming to shake like a wet dog, resulting in much clanging of metal on metal. "Still, I s'pose I can't fault ye for one 'o' ye parents now can I? Long as ye don't still pal around with the hairy wretch." he said almost regretfully. "A warrior are ye, lad? Come to help us break a few damned thieves fer stickin their hands in Deneir's purse, eh?" he said, some of that grin returning as he marched up to the half-orc. The difference in their height was comical but Norgrim didn't seem to notice.

"The name's Norgrim, 'o' the clan Giantbreaker, by the way. I plan to notch me axe on some skulls before this adventure's at an end meself!"

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Kayden

Since they had the location and the "target," now all that remained was a) getting there, b) recovering the target, and c) returning for the reward. Getting there should be simple enough. If it was more than an hour or two away it'd be worth renting horses, ponies for the dwarfs... She risks a side long glance at Bryan as he starts mumbling to himself and, still walking forward, she almost runs straight into the large, solid, and threatening form of the orc... man. Half-orc maybe? Who knew? She hurriedly scurries back, surprise and startlement written all over her face.

"So-Sorry." She manages finally. "There isn't much to tell, nothing that can't be told on the way at least. Does anyone know how far away this tomb is? We might want to consider getting horses, or ponies." She finishes rather lamely looking a bit red in the face. What if they take offense to the pony-thing? she thinks to herself, well, what else would they ride? Mules?
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

19. - Top - End - #19

ClericGuy

Bryan

Using his shield to help him stand Bryan faces the latecomer. "I am Bryan Matson and pleased that you arrived without too much delay."
    Turning away he slowly gathers his gear while addressing the woman. "I agree with you, some mode of transportation would be useful especially for the return journey as we may have prisoners. I will go and procure a cart and mule from the merchant quarter where I am sure I can get simple directions. Afterward where shall I find everyone? At the edge of town? Or would a local tavern be more fitting?"
    He pauses mulling some thoughts over and then rejecting them with a shake of his head. Obviously he is unsatisfied with something, but what it is seems to elude his own mind.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Jorrath

Accepting the duergar's introduction with a slight inclination of his head, the large half-orc responds in kind,

"I am called Jorrath. Dont quite recognise the name o' tha place. One of you know where it is?"

At the dwarf's words, Jorrath visibly bristles and he moves to stand towering over the prickly dwarf. As he speaks, he holds up the hand not grasping his axe and extends a single finger while staring down,

"That'll be the only time talk of my family e'er escapes those beer-stenched lips of yers. Unnerstand?"

As the talk moves on to how to get where they're going, and Bryan begins discussing a mule and cart, the half-orc quirks and eyebrow and chuckles deep in his belly,

"I think we might be putting the ol' cart afore the horse here folks. Guess yer all doin this outta tha kindness o' yer hearts...and there's nothin wrong with that. But what I wanna know...is what we're getting in return for whatever it is they want done."

As he finishes he rubs his thumb and forefinger together in the well-known symbol for money.

"I wont know just 'ow willing I be ta see this through until I know if the.....ummmm"

He scrunches up his nose as he tries to remember the term that gnome had used in a similar sitution,

"....umm.....Spends justimfer the spleens.?."

The last part is almost spoken like a question, but the smile splitting his horrible features would seem to say that he is happy with himself for remembering properly, or at least properly enough for him.

21. - Top - End - #21

ClericGuy

Bryan

A thin smile passes his lips in responce to Jorrath's statement.

"That would be 'End justifies the means' my friend. Unfortunately, tho the good chaplain spoke much he said very little. As far as reward, he was quite vague. However if he should not provide enough to satisfy your/our wants after we have completed the task then not only will his name be tarnished but he wont get the item returned."

Smirking slightly he continues on.

"Simply put, he will pay very well or we will have items of great value to sell for high profit. My earlier statement regarding the cart shows that I believe that we may be walking away with a nice bit of loot after the mission."

His mood greatly improved after thoroughly enjoying his rant he turns a good natured smile back upon the group.

"So?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Jorrath

The large half-orc apathetically shrugged and shouldered his large axe.

"So long as none of you is gonna git all holier than pow if the priests dont wanna pay us and I dont wanna give em what we got for em. So, did they at least tell ya where this Toomtor thing is?"

23. - Top - End - #23

Kayden

Kayden winces at Bryan's words. Blackmail was the last thing she'd expected to hear out of the mouth of a "holy man." She quickly glances over her shoulder and notices that Chaplin Lausk's door is open, and that he obviously heard every stupid word that had just come out of Bryan's mouth.

"Stop it." She says looking back at the cleric. "You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting such a thing. We're not going to blackmail anyone." She says looking at each of the four men in turn before returning to Bryan. "If you want to do that, then leave. There's no place for you in this group. We were promised good pay for completing this task and if that's not enough for you then find another job." The quite shy girl is gone, having been replaced with one with flashing green eyes and steel in her voice and manner.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2008-03-13 at 10:12 PM. Reason: grammer
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

Hrafnar merely nods in acceptance of the human girl's -- no, woman's -- words. "Well said."

The duergar turns his gaze to the others assembled for the task as he thinks to himself. Clearly more to her than a first assessment allows. Good. We'll need someone else to help keep discipline amongst this lot. The priest surprises me with his mercenary attitude. I will have to keep watch on him.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-14 at 11:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Lausk's eyes had been steadily widening in outrage as he stood there listening to the mercenary comments from Bryan and from Jorrath though one was to be expected to a fashion. Mouth dropped open in shock, the chaplain merely stared until Kayden had spoken up before his mouth closed with an audible click.

"Perhaps this is a mistake..." the man said doubtfully, eyes growing even more worrisome before storming into his office and slamming the door shut with a loud bang that made several acolytes whip around and stare. Evidently Lausk was not known for such...loud displays of emotion. Without any further delay though you progress out into the city proper in order to locate a cart...and possibly directions as well.

Of course finding a cart was easy enough to find, but the disbelieving looks from a couple of people when asked for directions to the Tomb were more embrassing. Maiden's Tomb Tor may have been a monument to a barbarian but it was still at least known to roughly half the citizens of Waterdeep, even if they never really visited it. If one followed the road north out of Waterdeep until reaching the juncture of the High Road and Ampmail Road, then they could Ampmail for about day and a half on foot or at a walk for horses then turn north until you hit the tor and the small village that had set up close to the tor itself.

Destination in mind and supplies in hand you soon all gather at the road leading out past the walls of Waterdeep with the road ahead stretching out before you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take this opportunity to purchase any equipment last minute or finish something up inside of Waterdeep real quick before meeting at the gate and heading out.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

The duergar waits patiently, goggles covering his eyes and wide-brimmed hat pulled low over his bald head. "Are we prepared to begin" he asks the others.

"May Vengeance be satisfied," Hrafnar intones as the group sets out.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Jorrath

The half-orc merely shrugged as one of the priests slammed a door.

"Might bit of a touchy folk, these Deh-neerians. S'long as their gold is...well...gold, I'm 'appy."

Following the group out into the marketplace, he procures a steaming "meat" pie for himself and devours it in far fewer bites than would normally be required. Nodding to himself at having sated his appetite for a while, he also purchases a few days of food for the road.

Spoiler
    Show

3 days iron rations added to equipment

Hefting his axe and adjusting the straps on his backpack, he seems ready to leave and follows whoever drives the cart.

"Well...aint we a molty croo."
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-03-17 at 07:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrafnar Steelshadow

Hrafnar faces the half-orc, head tilted to the side for a moment as he considers Jorrath's words. "I believe the word you want is motley," he offers in his dry monotone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Where's eveyone?

29. - Top - End - #29

Kayden

The woman sighs at the half-orc's reaction. "They're not touchy; they're frustrated that the people they decided to trust don't trust them." Seeing the looks of incomprehension and uncaring on some of the faces around her she decides to drop the issue. "Well whatever let's get going. We're burning daylight standing around like this. I'm Kayden by the way, I don't think I had the opportunity to say so before." [hr] Once in the open air Kayden watches the group disperse with mixed feelings. She doesn't have anything to pick up at the marekt, so she waits on steps for the others to return.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGuy

Bryan

Slightly embarrassed and humbled by his failed attempt at diplomacy Bryan quietly goes off and purchases a cart and mule as he planed, getting basic directions from the merchant he meets up with the others and heads toward the tomb.

((ooc: char sheet updated with money reduction and item addition.))