New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trials of the Desert Republic (IC)

Morgan

Morgan doesn't express any opinions for taking the road or staying off it, opting to let more concerned people decide that, and instead contents himself with whistling snatches of an old tune. When Michael introduces himself, Morgan cracks a grin.

"Name's Morgan, pleasure to meet'chya. Really, though, call me whatever ya like. Long as I know it's me you're asking for, I don't mind."

He extends one hand for a brief handshake, before returning it to where it was resting on the hilt or head of a weapon.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-03-08 at 09:28 PM.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kent stares at Mike and Morgan, trying to memorize the name to the face. He's had trouble with these kind of things before.

Kent. Nice and short, eh?

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan looks around, grinning sheepishly. "Sorry y'all. My name's Bryan. Bryan Mellor. Call me Bryan I guess."

4. - Top - End - #34

Brigham

"Brigham Jones."
    He said to introduce himself. "To be honest, I am kinda puzzled as to why I was chosen. I'm not a survival, scout, or combat person. I'm a techhead repair guy. However those where the orders so here I am, I just figured the man in charge of this little expedition." He nods his head toward the Doc. "Should know what tools he has to work with."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

What I see here is a broad range of skills that will, I'm sure, overcome any situation we face out there. My name, as you probably know is Edmund Larkin, but most people call me Doc. I'm sure that if we all work together and stay focused, my skills won't be required on this mission. Nnow, the area we have to look for our missing Rangers is big, so what I propose is that we says spread out in a line and comb the area as best we can. I want to see alot of space between each man. Keep your eyes peeled and we should be able to go in, grab our guys and get out. I agree with Bryan, the bandits use the road, so we won't, we'll take the same route as the missing group and hopefully find some clues on the way. Remember, finding that lost patrol is our primary objective, so don't get any ideas about chasing gun-ho after bandits. Any questions? No? Good. Lets go!

Edmund turns away from the group, takes a look at the vast desert ahead of him and marchs off. Wow, that was easier than I thought. Maybe I can be a leader ...
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

(I'm gonna start your guys out now.)

You follow the Ranger's route south. There is a rocky ridge that lines most of the highway, which you use to screen your movements so that no one who may be on the highway would be able to see you. Every half hour or so of travel you look over the ridge to check on the highway. Wrecked vehicles grow fewer and fewer as noon fast approaches and the air grows hotter.

The sun is now hanging directly overhead, and the town of Kingman is no longer visible. What you can now see is the ruins of various small buildings, settlements, and old gas stations that have long been picked through. These locales always offer scavenging opportunities, and the occasional adventurous types still wander out this far.

Times passes uneventfully, and no one in the spread formation you are taking notices any clue or indication about the Rangers that passed this way the week before. Eventually, the ridge that you are hiding behind curves sharply back north, while the highway itself turns to the Southwest. You are forced to abandon your cover in order to follow the highway. There is another ridge miles away, but it is impossible for you to reach before nightfall.

Night is now fast approaching, and suddenly an old farmhouse looms into your view. It looks long abandoned, but might make excellent shelter for the night, when, as Bryan said, all the critters like to come out. You have been walking with few breaks for nearly 12 hours and everyone (with the possible exception of Bryan) is starting to feel the need to bed down for the evening.

(Everyone please make spot checks to notice anything about the farm house at a distance. If you have binoculars in your possesion, add an additional +2 to the roll. Also, make sure that you consume at least one ration of food from your inventory for the day's activity.)
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-10 at 09:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

(1d20+8)[10]

Looks like a good spot to rest, or be ambushed. Keep your wits about, guys. I know its been a long day, but we don't want it to be our last.
    I am but a woman who has sorely... soarly? Soarly missed her beloved creation. Some have named me crone, gray lady, Yaga sister, night hag -- but MYSELF is my name, Ravel, Ravel who puzzles well, providing conundrums to decipher and laying impossibilities low!
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori Cthulhu-esque modern adventure of mystery and intrigue set in the 1920's

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Michael

Michael stays silent throughout the Doc's little tactics talk, and then he stays quiet all through the day as they march on, his mind on other things. As the farmhouse enters their vision, Michael is both wary and relieved. He was more than happy to find a place to rest, the days trek had tired him quite a lot, but he was more than aware that there could be any number of things inside that house that they really don't want to be meeting.

"Huh, it looks almost too good to be true.." he says, his voice mumbling a little, speaking to himself more than anyone else. "Whats the plan then Doc, we gonna go check it out?" While they walk he pulls his pair of binoculars out of his pack and stares through them, hoping for some indication of what they should expect from the house.

spot - (1d20+4)[10]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan nods after Doc finishes giving his orders and takes his place in the line. He tries and keeps an eye out for anything and everything, but sees nothing.
    After they spot the house and gather round, he takes out his binoculars and checks out the house, wondering whether the day was finally over, or just about to get interesting.

spot (1d20+4+2=16)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

Morgan grins as he catches sight of the farmhouse, and at first he strikes out towards it at once. He stops, however, when he notices others retrieving their binoculars and scoping it out.

"Oh... right, uh."

He hastily pulls out his own pair of lenses, and fixes them on the farmhouse. He crouches down as he looks, sweeping over the farmhouse and its surroundings quickly to see what he can see. As he watches, he continues to whistle snatches of arbitrary tunes, stopping and switching songs every now and then as he pauses, catching sight of some interesting feature or another.

spot - (1d20+3)[21]
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-03-10 at 11:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kent

Kent looks about at the others grabbing their binocs. He puts his head down and curses.
    Crap.

probably should have grabbed some.

(1d20+1)[6]

Kent looks towards their leader.

See anything? I can go check it out if you want. And radio back. He holds up his walkie-talkie.
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-03-11 at 12:50 AM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

12. - Top - End - #42

Brigham

The tech was tired. He wasn't really a big fan of walking. He was trained and drilled by the militia which allowed him keep up and pull his own weight, but he was by no means hardened to it.

Seeing the farmhouse, he shared the same thoughts as the others, could be a good place if it wasn't already being used for something

Spot_Check - (1d20+2)[18]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

To Morgan

Spoiler
    Show
    While scanning over the house with your binoculars, you notice that on the North side of the house there is what appears to be the decaying corpse of a horse. It has been dead for some time, and is covered in misshapen purple splotches.

No one else notices anything odd about the house itself. It is two stories, and the entry door is facing away from you (you are looking at its Eastern side.)

None of the house's windows are intact, but it is dark inside so you cannot see inside the house just yet. There is no movement.

You can tell that this house once sat on a farm, but that farm is now just apart of the desert wastes. The highway is also about a quarter-mile to the south of the house.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-11 at 02:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

Morgan puts his binoculars away and stands up grinning. He turns to look at the rest of the group with this big smile on his face, brushing a stray strand of blond hair out of his face then reaching for his weapons with a sense of eagerness.

"This farmhouse looks interesting. There's a dead animal outside, and it don't exactly look like he died o' starvation, in fact, I think we may be looking at a rad nest. Makes sense, anyways, they'd like somewhere to get out o' the heat, and the horse won't killed by guys like us, least that I can see from here."

He seems genuinely happy about this find, and eases both his weapons where they hang, tugging at his sword a little so that it rests lightly in its scabbard. Turning to look at Ed, he raises an eyebrow.

"So, we doing this thing?"
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2008-03-11 at 04:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Michael

A rad nest, eh? Well well well, heres me thinking the day was almost over and from the looks of it the funs just beginning. A grin spreads across his face at the prospect of a little combat. The task they had been set on would surely contain more bloodshed than he could ever wish for, but at this moment every ounce of his being urged for a fight.

If there was some fighting ahead of them then his bow would be little good to him in the tight confines of the house, his arrows would also probably be better saved for another time. So he tightened his grip on his bat, ready to use it at any second and waited for the Doc to answer Morgan, hoping the answer would be one he wanted.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan frowns as Morgan makes his announcement. He puts his binoculars away and loosens his hatchet in its loop. He then pulls out his bow and an arrow, preparing for trouble.
    "I don't wanna spend the night without any fire, and we can't have a fire out here in the open. We need that house, and we need it quick. The light's fading." He looks over at Doc, waiting for his decision.
    Last edited by Ipphli; 2008-03-11 at 05:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Kent Bellata

Interesting. So, who brought a flashlight? Perhaps a lantern? I got these if need be.

He holds out a couple candles and a few batteries.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

Edmund rakes his fingers through his hair and sighs Alright, lets go to work. Bryan, Kent and Brigham head round to the left, you other two with me round to the right. We surround the place and take them all out. We don't want any escaping if we can help it. Let's move.

((TwoBitWriter, how far is it to the farmhouse?))
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The farmhouse seems to be just under half a mile away (which isn't as far as it may seem.)

You approach the house. Moving carefully and in the groups of three that Penril described. The sun dips lower and lower and by the time you are about 100 feet from the house, it is twilight.

The house is fairly large, and you split into your groups.
    Bryan, Kent, and Brigham walk to the Southern face of the house.
    Edmund, Morgan, and Mike take to the Northen face.

Bryan, Kent, and Brigham

Spoiler
    Show
    The Southern part of the house is where the main door and patio are located. The door is intact, but propped open with stones and opens up into a hallway that ends in openings to the left and right, with a set of intact stairs at the opposite end. You smell a dusty, foul oder exuding from the entrance. As you approach the door, you see a Radscorpion about the size of a Labrador Retriever walk out, clicking its claws menacingly. It emerges slowly, swaying its stinger menacingly. Two more scorpions of about the same size as the first emerge, slowly approaching you.
    (Roll Initiative)

Edmund, Morgan, and Mike

Spoiler
    Show
    On the North wall is a series of large, broken windows that look into what was the kitchen. There is also the dead horse, which has been decaying for several days and has several large chunks of flesh missing, appearing torn away. Mike turns toward the house and sees that a Radscorpion, about the size of a man, has crawled out of one of the windows and is approaching your group. You see another scorpion crawl out of the house, but this one is about the size of a Labrador Retriever. (Roll Initiative)

20. - Top - End - #50

Brigham

They had been given plenty of warning, so Brigham had his crossbow ready. Still it is a bit unnerving such a huge bug.

Init - (1d20+1)[10]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Edmund

(1d20+2)[19]

Edmund grimly raises his crossbow and aims at the smaller one.
    - Ravel Puzzlewell

Games I am running:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan

initiative - (1d20+1)[8]

Morgan stuck close to the doctor as the circled around the house, keeping himself between the building and the other man. He hadn't drawn his weapons as early on as some others, but when he saw the chunks taken out of the horse, sword and hammer were soon in his hands.

Seeing the two scorpions crawling out of the house, he grins and drops into a combatants stance, sword held forward towards one of the scorpions, hammer held high.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan

Bryan frowns as the bugs appear. He raises his bow and prepares to fire.

(1d20)[17]

24. - Top - End - #54

Kent Bellata HP:9/9 Def:19 (16 FlatFoot)

Kent radios over to the other team: Contact. and raises his crossbow as well.

Lets take 'em down in a hail of arrows, eh boys?

(1d20+3)[19]

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

25. - Top - End - #55

Michael

Seeing the size of the beasts approaching them Mike swiftly shoved his bat into his belt and pulls his bow from off his back, aiming it at the largest of the scorpions. He pulls the arrow back onto the strings, ready to fire at any moment.

Initiative - (1d20+3)[11]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Combat order is as follows.

North Group:
    1) Edmund
    2) Large Radscorpion
    3) Mike
    4) Morgan
    5) Small Radscorpions

South Group:
    1)Kent
    2)Bryan
    3)Brigham
    4)Radscorpions
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-14 at 09:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryan figures the beasts are too close to get a shot off before they get close, so he drops his bow and pulls out his hatchet. He steps in front of his smaller comrades, preparing to meet the radscorpions head-on.

(Taking a five foot step to put himself in front and going total defense)

28. - Top - End - #58

Brigham

With the chaos if combat well underway Brigham looks for a clear target to fire at when he finds one he fires

[roll=Attack Roll]1d20=1[/roll]

EDIT: Sorry about the typo I rerolled in the OOC and got an 18
    Last edited by estradling; 2008-03-14 at 10:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Michael

After a short retreat back-wards Michael takes a steady aim on the largest of the radscoprions preparing to attack them and sends an arrow flying in its direction, hoping it would be on target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll - (1d20+3)[19] and Damage Roll - (1d8+2)[5]. This is after a five-foot step backwards and assuming that the large radscoprion doesn't die or charge into me before my turn.

30. - Top - End - #60

Kent Bellata HP:9/9 Def: 19

Hail of arrows, eh boys?

Kent releases his crossbow at the nearest Radscorp.

(1d20+3)[21]
    (1d10)[4]

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!