New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default A Tale of Two Sides

Here is the IC thread for my campaign.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: A Tale of Two Sides

Roll Call!

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

If the spoiler doesnt have you name on it, don't read it. If you read it anyway, don't metagame with it.

MAJOR PLOT MOVEMENT!!!!!!!!!

all:
    Spoiler
    Show

Man #2: It was not my fault he...
    (cuts him off short)

Man: Silence! I have had enough of your failures! All you do is fail me! Are the troops ready?

Man #2: Yes.

Man: Good. What about our little orcish friend?

Man #2: He is traveling to Balis as we speak. The northern tribes represent no threat to us.

Man: Good. Then all is preceeding as planned. Go.

(Man #2 turns to leave)

Man: And Balamon... Do not fail me again.

Balamon: Yes father.

theres you little taste. Now i'm doing a roll call. We shall start once everyone posts saying that they are here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Kellen

Without a doubt Balis was the city of hustle and bustle that Kellen remembered from his youth. He stood languidly against a street corner, paging through a small book, occasionally glancing toward the massive throngs of life writhing throughout the metropolis.

Where shall I venture today?

Taking a small dagger from beneath his cloak Kellen places it on the ground and with a firm twist sets it to spinning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Geil Eighthblade

Geil holds his battleaxe, Agaziburk, before him, facing the simple practice dummy and focused, trying to sense the other dummies around him, each representing an ally or an enemy. A battle was never just a man and his enemy, and the Eighthblades had developed their techniques accordingly. Geil shifted his weight and stepped forward, slashing at the dummy with his axe, cutting the straw across its chest. With a sudden twist, he spun the axe around, leaving a splintered mark across the wood representing the dummy's shoulder.

Geil stepped closer and examined the second mark, nodding in approval. It wouldn't be a lasting wound, but that wasn't the goal. The small cut would be a painful one, which would cause most enemies to drop their guard slightly. Long enough for allies to press the advantage, at least.

"Time to go," Geil admitted to himself, returning Agaziburk to his holster behind his shoulder. Strapping his shield to his backpack and throwing onto his back, he headed out into the Balis.

6. - Top - End - #6

Goblin

Kharos

The hulking figure is attracting a great many hostile stares, but it does not seem to mind. It wanders aimlessly through the city of Balis, searching for a lead. It frequently enters taverns and other gathering places (to more stares), asking the populace in general for news from beyond the Lost Valley, or questioning where he can find the "chief 'round here".

It would probably have been thrown out each time, if anyone dared approach it. But how many people will manhandle a fully-grown, battle-scarred, heavily-armed half-orc?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

______

Moving through the throngs of people going in the busty of the marketplace, the construct listens to the crys of hawkers, the chatter of the of passing couples, and the rhythm of the city. Through the sense of peace and relief long deserved and still fresh, it searches for any rumors and noises of disquiet, worrying disturbances in the practiced movements of the everyday.

Later, it will head towards the library near the university, to research into history and possible links from the past to the current rumors. But now, in the light, is the time for research of a different kind, listening to these strange and wondrous, unpredictable creatures, and to find it's place among them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Maestro short, measured strides bore him steadily through the throng of the great unwashed. He kept his curved bow in hand, unwilling to trust it being jostled about behind him. Bad enough that the new rapier was banging at his hip.

The silver-skinned elf took the occasional startled glances of the proles in stride. Their curiosity was natural, forgivable. All that mattered was his goal.

He was nearly to the university, where he would be able to arrange to settle in for a short while, the better to search out possible magical clues to that new spell...but more on that when he got there. Here was a sight even rarer than himself - an automaton, a living construct, moving ahead of him through the crowd, and seemingly bent on the same destination. Interesting. Perhaps today would be...interesting.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

As each of you wander throughout the city, guards pass neraby and stop each of you, asking the same question.

Are you adventurers? If so meet at the palace gates at 6 pm sharp. Dress nicely.

With that, they leave you alone and hand you an invitation which reads as follows:

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I may have need of your personal service. If you would be so kind as to meet me for dinner at 6:30 pm in the megaron, I would be happy to explain the details in person, as it is unsafe to talk in letters. The rewards shall be copious, I promise you that. Dinner and entertainement shall be provided. Please show this letter to the guards at the palace gates at 6pm. Please do not be late.

Signed,
    You highness,

~ The King ~

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

______

Giving up it quiet hunt for rumors as futile (as it found that it was nearly always the topic of conversations it passed), the construct slips the kings invitation into it's backpack and heads to the library to finish off the rest of the afternoon.

It leaves the library early, to ensure it won't be late, and arrives before the palace at 5:50. Once there it politely proffers the invitation to the only soldier taking its presence in stride.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be posting rolls and mechanics in spoilers unless there is somewhere else you'd like them. And do we have an OoC thread?

Gather Information - (1d20+1)[17]
    Knowledge: History - (1d20+6)[19]
    Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+6)[11]

Rolls to see what I might glean in the library.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-03-11 at 11:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Maestro simply nodded to the guard's odd questions. He paused for a moment to read the curious note. Clearly, if the king was taking time to hand-write notes to strangers, this was serious.

Maestro sought out a quiet corner of a tavern, perhaps with a bit of light from a window, the better to pull out a book to read up on this king. When he finished, he ordered a tea and spent a bit of time in reverie, thinking of his home. And all that had been lost in the war.

Gathering his thoughts and his bow, Maestro turned his step towards the palace, where awaited an appointment with, if not destiny, at least its harbinger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pausing for a Knowledge Nobility check (1d20+8)[27] to see what he might already have heard about the king.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #12

Goblin

Kharos

The half-orc stares a while at the letter. Writing is something of a novelty to him, but he understands the message and makes sure to turn up outside the Palace by six o'clock, showing the letter to the guards to make them put their annoying swords away.

While he waits, the orc kneels on the ground outside the gates to shamelessly praise Glorious One-Eye, whose holy symbol hangs prominently from the creature's neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    MammonAzrael, I think you mean 5:45. 6:30 is when we'll meet the King, but we have to be at the gate by 6:00. Histority nobility was stuffy about its waiting times.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Approaching the gates, bow still in hand, Maestro stops suddenly, a deep inhalation the only outwards sign of his shock. An orc had penetrated the city, and was poised just outside the gates, ready to...

...to pray?

Baris would take some getting used to.

forcing himself to lower the bow, and to step nonchalantly past the creature, proffering his invitation to the guard.

14. - Top - End - #14

Geil

Geil accepts the not with a nod. It seemed like an unusual summons, but it wasn't one Geil wouldn't miss.

Geil arrived promptly at the gates that evening, taking careful measure of the others at the gate before approaching the guards and presenting his invitation.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kellen

Kellen watches the spinning dagger until the momentum it carried was lost. North, the dagger pointed. With a quick snatch Kellen whips the dagger back into his cloak and begins a leisurely northern walk.

For near an hour Kellen made causal observations of the peoples of Balis. He sighed, despite the war and his long absence from his hometown, the people of Balis remained unchanged in their ways. Intending to return to his home and consider his options Kellen makes an about face and in an instant his mind changes.

A being composed entirely of metal, a construct he recalled, was simply walking down the road. "Intriguing," he whispers to himself. Filled with purpose Kellen begins following the strange creature as it wanders throughout Balis. Simply watching it as it was accosted by a guard, receiving some sort of paper, Kellen knew that the causal observations of this specimen must be documented. Reaching for his pen Kellen curses himself for not being adequately prepared.

Quickly making his way to the guard Kellen takes an invitation and allows himself the smallest of smiles as he reads it. At the appointed time Kellen arrives at the palace gate, his quarry within sight. After handing his invitation to the guard Kellen stood back and simply observed and this time Kellen was prepared.

(With pen, ink and parchment mind you!)

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm... what does Kellen really know of constructs...

Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+13)[16]
    Knowledge: Arcana (Int + Rank + Skill Trick: Collector of Stories)

Also can we get an OOC thread please

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

for those of you who studied in the library all day, its really common knowledge.

all:
    Spoiler
    Show

Barthemew Liligon, successor of Alexander Liligon, who slayed Balamon in the war. No citizen of Balis would ever say anything bad against his name. He is a fair and just king, governing when needed, and making sure not to overdo it too much. He is liked by everybody and is said to have a cheerful manner about him.

For constructs:
    Spoiler
    Show

You know that they were made from the beginning of Balamon's War, and were continually improved. The latest models barely saw any battle action, but all are programmed to take orders from anyone loyal to the King of Balis, the elves or dwarfs, as long as they recognixe that he or she is a leader. You also know that they never rest or eat, and were the perfect to counter to the restless undead who neither needed food or rest.

As you arrive at the gate, you notice you aren't the only ones there. Other adventurers stand nearby, each with his or her own invitation. Many stare at the construct and the orc, each drawing attention to themselves, rumors and whispers spreading about.

At about five till six, the guard speaks.

Glad you all could make it. I'll have Brutus here accompany you to the megaron.

He says this as he points to a neraby servant who looks half terrified of the guests that arrived.

This way. Brutus says weakly and obidiently everyone follows.

As you enter the courtyard, a few people gasp. Such a beautiful sight is before you. Fountains tall as two men spray water high into the air. Lush trees and rose bushes are in full bloom before the palace. The lawn is well attended to, and servants scurry around with a purpose.

As you enter the the front doors, a few people let out low whistles. The palace seemed small from afar, but it was exactly opposite of that. The cieling reached over 50 feet high, and grand columns standing 30 feet high are inlaid with gold, silver, and gems of all assortments. The tile is freshly polished and has a shine to it as if no one ever walked on it before.

Don't stray. Brutus says as he leads you through more halls turning here and there. At last he brings you to the megaron, and it isn't as splendid as some thought it would be.

It was spacoius for a normal adventurer, although this might be cramped by a king's standard. Across the hall, a table is set up with a variety of food, and all around the room are jugglars, entertainers, and storytellers practicing. As they notice you, most stop and stare. The orc is drawing attention to himself again. All around the room, are tables enough to seat 8 people to each table. More than enough tbales for all of you.

OOC: Appreciated
    Spoiler
    Show

I probably won't make an OOC unless you really want me too. I rarely check the OOC thread and really you can just post anything in here if you need something. I check this more often than not. if by all means you cant stand the idea of not having an OOC thread, then I'll make it just for you. Just tell me.

On another note, I need books. My friends have failed me. I asked for an e-mail of the books they have, and none have responded so far. So if any of you can please a dm without any books isn't a very good dm. If someone could send an e-mail or a link to a website that i could download the books, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

List: PHB I/II
    Monster Manuals
    Completes
    DMG I/II
    BoED
    any other that someone used in their character creation.

[email protected]

(please dont send me trojans or the like )
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2008-03-12 at 01:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Maestro is slightly nonplussed that the orc is included in the invitation, but says nothing, and shows...almost nothing. The silver-skinned elf's eyes flare red, briefly. No more. He is fascinated by the construct, having heard of them in action but not yet seen one up close.

As they enter the Megaron, Maestro looks around at the other four with him, and at the plethora of entertainments and foods. Instinctively, he begins to pace off the room's perimeter, keeping an eye out for anything untoward. He smiles faintly at the entertainers and servants, and then ignores them. Finally, he comes to rest at a smaller table, selecting a single piece of fruit, and begins to munch...watching the others carefully.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not that I think there'll be anything, but he's effectively trying to spot any strangeness in entertainers, any hidden elements to the room. And just because he's paranoid, doesn't mean he's any good at it!
    Spot (1d20+2)[22]
    Sense Motive (1d20)[11]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

______

As it follows Brutus into the Megaron, the construct examines the other guests that have been summoned, presumably for the same reason. An odd mix, especially the half-orc priest, but no stranger than some other companions it has spent time with.

Once inside the Megaron, it finds an unoccupied spot near a corner that offers a good view of the room and it's entrances, and stands there politely. It watches the others invited here, with little more than initial notice of the various entertainers sprinkled about the room. It remains fairly quiet, but will respond if addressed, and waits patiently for the king to arrive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion check to see if it recognizes Gruumsh's holy symbol, and how much it knows of the deity and it's followers.
    Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+6)[19]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Kellen

Kellen, a short lithe man in his mid twenties, enters the Megaron and quickly spots the construct, apparently alone, in a corner. Many religious symbols jingle around his neck as Kellen strides to one of the smaller tables, his earthen toned cloak flapping noiselessly in his wake.

Kellen takes a seat across from an odd looking elf and places his writing implements in front of him. He attempts to look nonchalant as he begins the usual process and starts sketching the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession Artist: (1d20+1)[17]
    Last edited by MOD; 2008-03-12 at 08:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Geil

Geil studies each of the room's occupants in turn before turning his attention to the doors. He human shuffles for a moment, fiddling with his his dark brown hair for a moment and brushing imagined dirt off his attire.

"There's no point in wasting his time," he says after a few moments. "I assume you are all here under a similar invitation as I received. Given the apparent importance of the summons, I doubt we are expected to work individually. We may as well get to know each other and see how our strengths may complement each other in what ever this endeavor turns out to be. Please, feel free to announce yourselves and what trade it is you bring to the table.

"As for me, I am Geil Eighthblade. It has long been my family's duty to organize and motivate men, to push them to new heights and achievements. I've devoted my life to continuing this calling and I assure you that if you will hearken to my voice in times of need, you will find success much easier to reach. Our combine efforts will take you to heights greater then either of us could alone."

With that proclamation, he nods to the others and takes a set at the table, his brown eyes alert and awaiting for someone else to continue the introductions.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I was going to continue to today, but since Geil wants to do introdctions, I'll wait until tomorrow.

22. - Top - End - #22

OOC: Heh... well nothing else seemed to be going on. I've nothing against being interrupted...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Maestro turns to Geil as he speaks, but does not rise. As a silence grows after his speech, the elf's eyebrow initially arches, but then settles. His voice is soft.

You may call me Maestro. I am a student of the arcane.

24. - Top - End - #24

Goblin

Kharos

The orc stares around at the finery, entirely out of his depth. It takes him a moment to notice the man speaking.

"Trade? Kharos is above trades. Kharos is Chosen of the One-Eyed God, He-Who-Watches, He-Who-Never-Sleeps, the great Gruumsh."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Forgive me the clichéd 3rd-person-speech.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

______

Gazing impassively at Geil as he speaks, the construct says nothing, and gives away nothing. Once the elf introduces himself, in a notably more succinct manner, and the orc proclaims his questionable loyalties, it turns to look at the last member of their gathering, the curious man that glances at it frequently between scribbling something upon some parchment.

It looks at Geil, and a deep voice, with a slight, metallic echo, built for carrying long distances and easily heard over the pandemonium of battle, issues forth from where it's mouth would be in a soft thunder, "I kill the dead so the living may prosper." Turning it's head back toward the man and his paper, it's voice carries a difficult to distinguish tint to it, that a careful listener would most likely classify as something akin to amusement, "And you can simply ask if you have questions."

Spoiler
    Show
    Did my Knowledge: Religion check tell me anything about Gruumsh or Kharos?

Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+6)[19]
    This check is to see what I might recognize or glean from the multitude of religious symbols around Kellen's neck.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Kellen

Kellen simply stares as the construct lumbers toward the small table where the rather eclectic group seems to have gathered. He finishes up the drawing adding details he had failed to notice when it was the creature was further away. He stands, drawing completed, blowing gently on the paper hoping to dry the ink to avoid smudges. "Is there a name I should address you by?" Kellen says as he walks directly to the construct handing him the completed drawing, "Would you say this is an accurate rendition?"

Kellen turns towards the others giving them a glance that would suggest he was appraising them; the same glance someone appraising a horse at market would.

An elf, an orc, a construct and a human. This will be most informative. (your human right Mantid?)

"I am Kellen. A researcher by trade." He says blandly, and with as much disinterest as he can manage, which isn't much at all.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

mammon:
    Spoiler
    Show

You know that Gruumsh is an evil God and his symbol is represented by one eye. You also know that he is the god of ____ and ____ (cant remember what they are. )

As you guys introduce yourself, a sitr settles about the room and everyone quiets. You soon realize why, the King has taken the stand. He looks like a figure who has beared the burden of power. He carries his shoudlers tall and proud and it seems as if he has a commanding presence and powerful arua around him. He stares silently at the adventurers, his eye lingering on your table for a little longer than would seem appropriate.

Welcome! the King says in a loud voice as it carries across the room. I have brought you here today for there is a great need in this world. The Artifact of Balamon must be recovered. The undead are stirring again, and it is only time before they ravage our land yet again. I'm am paying any adventurer that brings the artifact back, or proof that they have helped our cause by slaying undead.

As he is speaking the doors are thrown open, and in staggers are messenger as he rans/walks politely toward the King. Upon seeing him, all eyes turn toward him and the King frowns. As he gets close up to him, the messenger whispers something. Everyone was silent in the room, and as the message was whispered, the King's face blanched.

He turned once more to you. WE have a problem he says lightly. Undead are heading toward the city, and shall be here within the hour. For every undead slain, I shall pay you handsomely. To arms! he cries out, and everyone in the room roars.

The King hurries out and adventureres file out of the room quickly, and all with a purpose. You have an hour to plan and prepare.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Kellen

As everyone rushes out of the Megaron Kellen quickly stands up and leaving his group behind struggles against the mob heading for the door. Kellen tries to spot the messenger that was, moments ago, speaking with the king. If he can Kellen will make every effort to grab the messenger before he can leave. "Don't let the messenger leave," Kellen calls out before disappearing into the mad rush of the mob.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot(1d20+7)[14]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The King left with the messenger and guards through the back way.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Maestro

Maestro smiles quizzically, and turns to Geil.

This...is a fascinating kingdom. Does this happen often here?

He is already slipping his curved bow off of his back and testing its pull, patting to confirm the placement of his quiver.

It sounds as if the King had intended the five of us to work together on a larger project. Perhaps we could see this, ah, incursion, as an opportunity to become more familiar with each other.

May I suggest that we move towards the walls as we talk. Depending on how many of these undead there are...I may need more arrows.

Taking up a large apple, he quickly drops it into his bag, and is heading for the back door, following the king, the courtiers, and Kellen.