Attack; (1d20+6)[21]
    If Hit; (1d6+1)[5]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Portal

Orian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orian attacs the croc at K4. attack (1d20+8)[19] damage (1d8+4)[9] fire damage (1d6)[4]
    Edit: forgot to put the end spoiler
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2008-03-15 at 09:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Relentlessly persuade, the injured crocodile falls under Alanor's pressing attack and Orain's crushing might.

With the the carnivorous bush destroyed, two of the crocs dying, and the remaining two beasts in retreat the waters still and the land quiets.

Someone with a ranged attack may attempt to take out crocA (trailing blood as it slowly limps off the grid to the top right) or try to track down crocD (which has escaped into hiding off the grid to the bottom right) if they so wish. Otherwise, combat rounds are now over. For now.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

An arrow zips seemingly from mid-air at fleeing crocodile (croc A).

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Modifiers: Invisible and attacking a sighted opponent +2
    Also, the Croc loses any Dex bonus to AC

Attack roll: (1d20+12)[19](31)
    Damage: (2d6+5)[2][1](8)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barag, still in Hybrid form, sniffs to see if he can detect the scent of any other dangers.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+15)[16] Scent check
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor climbs out of the water onto the bank.

Climb check?
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[15]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seeing croc A being handled, Oggy tries to spot the other croc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+22)[1](23)
    If he does see it, he shoots at it, despite it's distance. No need for it to go alert others of their presence here.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[20](29) -relevant modifiers
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7](10)
    Shock: (1d6)[6](6)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[7](16) -relevant modifiers
    Damage: (1d8+3)[1](4)
    Shock: (1d6)[4](4)
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Alanor: You find a steep slope stabilized by roots (G5) that you can easily climb up.

Amilia casually shoots an arrow into Croc A. It spasms once then goes limp.

Barag: You can smell nothing other than the mud and crocodile blood you are covered in.

Everyone:
    The swamp you are in extends as far as the eye can see... which isn't far. A light mist is rising off the swamp in places which limits visibility to 2-3 miles. This swamp is about 60% water, and 100% green. The ground is covered in reeds, grasses, and light vegetation. The water is covered in lilies, algae patches, and water-reeds.

Anyone with either Knowledge(nature) or Knowledge(Arcitecture) realizes that this was once many decades (or centuries) ago an artificially crafted terrain with a cannel perhaps a quarter mile in front of the portal that feed a pond that surrounded an artificial peninsula that once had a ring of stone arches or blocks. Time has recovered the landscaping and begun eroding the peninsula.

To the right (of a person exiting the gate) the penensula extends to a large flattened hill perhaps 250 ft away. There the ruins of some once ornate and impressive building complex sit. 2/3 of the way to the ruins stand a pair of crumbling vine-covered statues.

Strewn across the bank below the portal and around the smaller islands to the gate's left lie crumpled bits of metal and fabric, the legacy of the previous explores.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

Oggy keeps his bow out, but lowers it from a ready position, looking around. Seeing the artifical nature of the terrain, he frowned. There had been 'people' here, some time ago, and that meant there might still be some around. "Amilia, you're the only one who can fly. Go back through the portal and report on what we've seen. Somebody look through the junk down there, see if they left anything we can use. The rest should spread out and search the area for anything that looks even vaguely out-of-place, but stay in sight until Amilia gets back." He said, pointing to the various people and tasks mentioned. "And if you can get on top of something, do it. we don't want any surprises from under the surface." He added.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Spoiler
    Show
    Oop, forgot to spot for anything unusual. Like, say, more of those violent plants.
    Spot: (1d20+22)[20](42)
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Amilia pops into a view as she gently lands near the edge of peninsula. "Actually, I think any of you go back through the portal with the proper application of some rope. Personally, I'm in no rush to be surrounded by a bunch of guards like I was a petty criminal or something."

"In fact, as the bathroom in the lodge last night offended my delicate feminine sensibilities, I think I'm going to take this opportunity to bathe." With that, Amilia vanishes again. You notice her backpack appear next to the location where she was standing. Then her outer-garments appear on top of the pack in a neatly folded pile. Playfully, her voice calls out, "And Graaf-Niig, while I certainly enjoy admirers, I am still very much a lady and if you cast See Invisible my honor will only be satisfied by personally emptying your eye-sockets. Best to leave things to your imagination." She giggles, and her undergarments begin to appear neatly folded on top of the rest of her gear. Moments later, you hear some splashing in the water.

12. - Top - End - #132

((And I just now got my knowledge-info. Let's add that in, shall we?))

After a long look around, a few things appeared to his eyes. "Guys, out of the water. No hurry, but don't dawdle, either. I'm seeing another croc a hundred feet past the portal, and what's probably a water elemental a little closer than that. They should leave us alone if we don't bug them, but let's not take any chances. The bigger issue is up nearer those ruins, there's another of those damn bush-things, probably related to this one, but bigger and badder, and two lizards of some sort nearby. They've got warding colors, so they've got something predators don't like going on. I can't see a way to move around them on this little strip of land, and if the thing behind us really is a water elemental, I don't think swimming around is much of an option, either."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Barag ducks under the water to wash some of the crocodile blood off, then emerges and climbs up the roots, before concealing himself as best he can at the top.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[2] Climb
    Hide: (1d20+19)[22]
    Move Silently: (1d20+19)[28]
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    Alanor, now out of the water starts to search through the junk around him for anything valuable, Whilst doing so he offhandedly comments; Oggy, Are those lizards humanoid? Do you uhh think I could manage a shift to look like those things?

Spoiler
    Show

Search; (1d20+4)[8]

15. - Top - End - #135

"The lizards are definitely not humanoid. They're only a few feet long, and they've got blue stripes. That's all I can tell from here." Oggy replied. "We still need someone to go back through the portal. Volunteers?" He asked, looking over the ragtag bunch.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Barag: You make it half way up before slipping and rolling backward head over heals to land in the water with a spectacular splash. After that embarrassment you try again more carefully (taking 10) and arrive at the top.

Alanor: You find 3 different varieties of grass, a new species of grub, and one of Oggy's arrows, now shattered from the electric shock it carried. It was a less than satisfying search.

Amilia briefly accelerates her bathing efforts with lots of slashing and a bit of diving, but those watching don't see any predators come forward to investigate.

Note: Reentering the portal requires either a DC 15 climb check, a DC 20 balance check, a DC 25 jump check, or flight. Other creative methods may be considered.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-16 at 06:41 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian

Orian says. "Help me get these crocs up onto the shore. Asuming someone helps him get them up he puts onyx gems into their I socets. Then you see him touch the crocs and chant while moving his arms. After he is done you see the once dead crocs start moving.

18. - Top - End - #138

Oggy hops down and helps Orian, thinking it would be smart to keep as much blood out of the water as possible. He was vaguely surprised when Orian cast his spell bringing them to unlife. "Helpful, if disturbing." HE muttered to himself as he went back to his perch, trying to think of a way around the lizards and the bush. "Somebody's gotta go back and talk to the humankin. If we ddon't they assume we died and might even close the portal. At the moment I'm more likely to headbutt that smug elf bastard than do anything productive, so I'm not going to be the one crossing back."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

Seeing that the others are attempting to haul dead crocodiles around, Amilia decides to go forward with her bathing plan. As the others start moving the nearer crocodiles, you hear her call out from the direction of the most distant crocodile, "You just want their skeletons, right? They'll be a lot easier to move if you gut them first. I'll take care of this one. Then I will go bathe a bit to the south, away from all this blood and with extra soap!"

Aside from this brief bit of conversation, Amilia does her best to keep her eyes out for the creatures Oggy sighted and to move quietly through the water. If she notices any of them approaching her, she gets her little pixie butt out of the water and into the air FAST!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Graaf-Niig

"Well, someone needs to go through. I will if nobody else will."

Graaf-Niig looks for an easy route up from the sandbank he's on, and takes it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb - (1d20+2)[19].

"If I can't make it up, somebody toss down a rope. If all the ropes are down here, cut a 5# length and I'll use a Mage Hand to make sure it gets up there."

"It looks like each of these arches used to be a gate until something happened. That one over there actually looks like it's in better shape than the gate we came through. Amilia, when you're done, maybe you could go invisibile and fly over to look at it."

The viper stays in the water at the bottom of the water bank, chasing small fish but remaining in the area.
    Last edited by J-H; 2008-03-17 at 07:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Getting the crocs out of the water is a big endeavor, that requires (1d4)[2] minutes of work. In the process you discover that the two closest ones aren't quite dead yet. (Both managed to stabilize within two rounds). Do you kill one or both of the crocs?

You'll never know if Amilia's croc still lived. It's certainly no-longer alive now that she has begun to disembowel it.
    Random Encounter Amillia - (1d100)[26] <= 20 for trouble.

Orian: How many of the crocs do you kill (and animate)? A crocodile skeleton requires a gem of 150 gp or more, and a crocodile zombie needs one of at least 300 gp.

Oggy: Traveling down the mainland passes within 50 ft of the suspicious plant and lizards. Alternatively, you could detour through the swamp.

Edit: Gaaf-Niig climbs back up into the portal and vanish from sight with very little trouble. The gate he mentioned as being potentially operational is the one in F3.

As everyone goes about their self appointed tasks, the viper eventually disappears back to wherever it came from.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-17 at 07:26 AM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian

"Thanks for the help" Orian coup de graces the crocs then turns one of them into a zombie and one into a skeleton.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

After cutting open the dead crocodile, the water nearby becomes illuminated. A moment later, the invisible Amilia holds up in the air a small-sized headband made with bronze chain on which someone appears to have cast Continual Flame. "Nice trinket. Guess the crocodile thought it might be tasty. Anyone want a light source? Maybe one of you could wear it as a bracelet." Amilia places the headband on her head, to see if it has any obvious effects other than glowing.

The others may see the glowing headband float through the air and lands gently several feet away from Amilia's gear.

"Okay, now to get these crocodile guts off me. Eww." Amilia hops back into the water and finishes her bathing. A bit later, anyone paying attention sees a bar of soap float back through the air and place itself in Amilia's pack. Amilia's clothes float into the air and bit by bit her visible clothes outline her invisible body. Once fully dressed, she becomes visible again. "That was delightfully refreshing! I haven't had a chance to enjoy water so pristine since I moved to the city, ages ago."

"I wonder when Master Gaaf-Niig will return."

With little else to do at the moment, Amilia spends some time surveying the surroundings and seeing if she can make out the creatures that Oggy pointed out earlier.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot, take 20: 20 + 7 = 27

Specific questions:

How far away are the lizards and the plant-thing?

How big (size category) are each of the creatures, particularly the plant-thing and the probably-a-water-elemental?

24. - Top - End - #144

Oggy stoked his chin for a moment in though, considering what to do about the various dangers about. Eventually, he spoke up. "My vote for what we should do is we wait for Gaaf-Niig to get back, then we try to take out the lizards from as far as we can. The bush is slow, we won't need to worry too much about it. The lizards should go down in just a few volleys, they probably won't even reach us. Barag and Orian's undead take point to keep the lizards from reaching us, just in case, and then charge in to take on the bush as we keep peppering it with arrows. All in all, it should be pretty simple." Oggy exlained to Amilia. "Gaaf-niig should save his spells for once we get into the ruins. Alanor and Orian will be most useful as light support in this one." He added. "For now, we'll ignore the water elemental, but stay out of the water as much as we can. We want to take the ruins as soon as possible, they would make the most easily defensible position to work outwards from."
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"That's an excellent tactic analysis, Master Oggy. It minimizes our risk while maximizing our advantage. We await Master Graaf-Niig, then."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

"Actually, while we're waiting, I think I'll run some reconnaissance around the peninsula. I'll keep my distance from all those creatures. I'll be back in a few!"

She draws her bow (just in case), hops into the air and vanishes.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Orian
    Orian casts cure light wounds on himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Healing roll (1d8+5)[11] It is 1d8+ caster level right?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Amillia: You don't see any water elementals, but then they are hard to spot when they are in/part of the water. You think you see the bush in question, but to you it looks like an unexceptional pile of vine encrusted rubbish. If it is a creature, it's size: large. You only see one lizard, but it's natural camouflage is effective enough that you can't make out more than that at least one small sized lizard is in that area. The bush and lizards are about 170 ft away by the crumbling statues.

Edit:
    Orian: Correct
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-03-17 at 06:29 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amilia

After a minute or two, Amilia's voice can be heard from nearby, "The pile of ruble over there is covered by some overgrown plant that isn't rooted to the ground". Amilia notices everyone looking around for the source of her voice. "Oh, right. Forgot about that!", she says as she pops into view. "I also spotted a third of those funny-colored lizards, and it looks like one of those crumbling statues was hit by lightning." Amilia looks at the sky, for signs of thunderclouds. "There's also two more of those viney-bush things on the bank, and I think I spotted another water elemental in the water."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Alanor
    This plan does sound rather good, I'd like to see what is up at these ruins, I may be able to finally put my talents to good use.
    Alanor stands and watches the water elemental.