New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer GM

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Killer GM

Koga has several chairs and a couch out on the porch, he prefers to game outside. Fresh air, no phones or parents to bother us, and noone invading the fridge. Mom really hates that lol!

Outside besides the places to lounge there's the gaming table, a cooler with lots of off-brand diets, (Koga is sticking it to the man by not purchasing corporate soda!) and two box fans. As for snacks, there is off-brand rice-cakes, some twizzlers, and there's a fruit tree in the yard so you can go pick an orange if you want. Koga has am evil smirk on his face, but that's nothing new.

"I've assembled you here to tryout D&D 5th edition! WOTC denies it's existence but I'm one step ahead of the bourgeoise bastards! Rolling up your characters will be easy as Angelina Jolie.

Just roll six d20 and re-arrange them where you like between the six stats."

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Killer GM

Why do we always have to change systems right after I've got everything figured out?

Either way, I've learned from my mistakes, you aren't going to trick me into another useless character, I need to know what effects my stats are going to have before I order them.

(1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[6]

EDIT: And what are the reroll rules.
    Last edited by Chosen_of_Vecna; 2008-04-05 at 11:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Ha! Thanks for taking away the bad rolls." Pink says, pausing his game long enough to snag up vecna's dice, despite the fact that he has a couple d20s of his own, and rolling six times.

(1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[8]

"Ummm...I think his dice are broken...Can I reroll using my own now?"
    Last edited by Pink; 2008-04-06 at 12:39 AM.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    Why do we always have to change systems right after I've got everything figured out?

Either way, I've learned from my mistakes, you aren't going to trick me into another useless character, I need to know what effects my stats are going to have before I order them.

And what are the reroll rules.
    Strength:
    Determines attack success and damage for melee weapons and throwing weapons, carrying capacity, and strength based skillchecks.
    (Damage modifier is strength score divided by two rounded down. Though some weapons add additional damage anyway. For example if a longsword has 1d8+3, it does that even if your str score was 1. If your str score is 10 it actually becomes 1d8+3+5)

Constitution:
    Determines HP, fort save success, bonus lives, and fatigue point reserve.

Dexterity:
    Determines ranged attack success rate, initiative order, reflex save success, and dextertity based skills.

Intelligence:
    Determines intelligence based skills, sometimes spells/abilities, and certain starting gear.

Wisdom:
    Determines wisdom based skills, sometimes spells/abilities, and will save success.

Charisma:
    Determines charisma based skills, sometimes spells/abilities, and certain starting gear.

And sense the system is very linear, no need for re-rolls more or less it's like a percentile die roll. If say you go to swing your sword, you roll a d20 and try to roll equal to or under your strength score to succeed. A 20 is always a failure, a 1 is always a success. Even when your strength score is over 20 a 20 still constitutes as a critical miss. The only reason to have stats over 20 is for specific purposes, such as to increase damage dealt....
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-06 at 08:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Wow, that's a pretty neat system. Hmm, let's see..." Pink begins alternating between playing his DS and filling out a Character sheet, eventually creating somthing that looks like this:

Character Name: Link
    Race: Elf
    Player: Pink
    Class: Warrior Fighter Hero

Str: 15
    Dex: 14
    Con: 9
    Int: 8
    Wis: 2
    Cha: 4

"Woot! Sword and Bow wielding hero of time, oh yeah! this character is gonna rock...even if Vecna's dice are gimped." *rolls his own d20*

(1d20)[19]

"See! THAT! That is how dice are supposed to roll." Pink smiles proudly at the nineteen.
    Last edited by Pink; 2008-04-06 at 01:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, that's how stats work? Cool! I thought I read everything in the SRD, but I must have missed stats. OK, here goes!"

Surly pulls out the bag of beautifully shiny and incredibly expensive tungsten dice that the gaming store owner tricked him into buying. He starts rolling.

(1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Good job Pink, I'll assume Link is a ranger considering there is no "hero" class..

His gear is as follows:

LINK
    HP: 29
    Strength: 15 Dexterity: 16 (+2 dexterity) Constitution: 9 Intelligence: 8 Wisdom: 2 Charisma: 4

Bow
    Damage: 1d12
    Quiver: 8

Longsword
    Damage: 1d8+3

Leather Armor
    Damage Reduction -2.

Special Ability: See invisibility. Bonus attack (Ranged).
    Elves Hearing: Can re-roll any listen check.

And here's your miniature.
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-06 at 12:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A young man wearing long robes and carring a foam sword picks up his battered dice. He then pulls out several bundles of paper, each one a background for charactors with different combination of statistics. "Lets roll!"

(d20)[10]
    (d20)[1]
    (d20)[9]
    (d20)[13]
    (d20)[9]
    (d20)[16]

Edit: "Hmm... yes, to be expected." He grabs on of the bundles of paper. "John the Old, a wizard." He then reaches into his robe (which seem to be a portal to infinate hammerspace) and produces a grey wig, a fake beard, a pair scissors, and a nightstick. "Could somebody cut my pony-tail? It won't fit under my wig."
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2008-04-06 at 11:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Why do we always roll? Point Buy is far more balanced, and fair to everyone. We always roll, I always roll crappy, then my character dies and I roll even worse, eventually at about character number 10 I have a decent enough character that I don't die every two encounters, and I can actually start enjoying them game.

For once I'd like to skip the part where I get invested in a series of fail characters that all last less the a session. I come to every session with multiple character ideas.

*insert stubborn GM argument here*

Well here is the first of my many characters:

Name: Not Even Going to Bother
    Race: Something with an Int bonus, don't know what because the DM changed systems again.
    Player: Chosen
    Class: Something based on Int and skills, the DM will probably give me a rogue even though there's probably a factotum somewhere out there, but no, we had to change systems and so we don't own anything but the Core books and he won't even let use see those.

Str: 1
    Dex: 13
    Con: 10
    Int: 15
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 6

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The Koga points to a page in the black and white, lack of artwork rules book prototype that because of rampant PC death, rather then trying to make the monsters more "fair", in later editions they decided to just give "bonus lives" equal to constitution score. NPCs and monsters do not have this, only PCs.. Koga has tried meationing this online and providing evidence that 5th edition will be alot like an adventure game. But noone believes him.

(Yes, he turned an old Hamburglar toy into a miniature)
    NOT EVEN GOING TO BOTHER (Neg for short)
    HP: 26
    Race: Gnome
    Class: Rogue
    Strength: 1 Dexterity: 13 Constitution: 10 Intelligence: 17 (+2 int) Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 6

Special abilities:
    Sneak attack (deal +1d6 damage to an unsuspecting foe)
    Gnome Magic (you may emulate any level 0 spell once per day as a spell-like ability, spell-like abilities cost no mana, but still require a stat check. In this case; intelligence)

Gear:
    Knife
    1d4+2

Throwing Dagger(s)
    1d4 (can be used as a melee weapon but comes at -1 atk penalty)
    Quiver: 11

Poison Vile
    Slip in drinks or throw at someone, they make a constitution check or take 1d10 constitution damage.

Hamburgers
    (Cures two fatigue points, must be eaten within two days of purchase or become tainted. Tainted food requires a fort save and if you fail you become sickend for 24 hours.)

Amount: 7
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-06 at 11:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

A young man walks out to the table and puts down his dice. "Yay! A new system to brake!"

He rolls his dice as per The Koga's instructions.

(1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d20)[19]

Let's see. I think 19 strength, 13 dexterity, 17 constitution, 12 wisdom, 10 intelligence, and dump the five in charisma!
    Character Name- Killstealr
    Class- Gladiator
    Race- Half-Ogre Half-Elf Half-Dragon Orc
    Str-19
    Dex-13
    Con-17
    Wis- 12
    Int- 10
    Cha- 5
    Last edited by expirement10K14; 2008-04-06 at 03:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

"You'll still need to pick a class/race expirement.."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"No, no one?" Phil cuts his own hair and places the wig and fake beard on his head. "Now," he profers the nightstick to the DM "hit me in the leg as hard as you can."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
    "No, no one?" Phil cuts his own hair and places the wig and fake beard on his head. "Now," he profers the nightstick to the DM "hit me in the leg as hard as you can."
    "Don't worry, DM, I'll take care of this one for you!"

Snatching the nightstick from Phil's hands, Jimmy aimed a blow to the man's left leg, just above the knee. As he was swinging, a thought came to him.

I wonder if I should pull my swing...

But before he could make a decision on whether to soften the blow or not, a resounding THWACK! filled the air.

"Here you go!" Jimmy says with a smile, handing the object back to Phil.

"Now...time for person-making!" Snatching the shiniest set of dice he could see, he let them loose, and made his rolls.
    Last edited by Maxma; 2008-04-06 at 06:26 PM.
    - Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard -
    - but Love Softly, and with all your Heart -

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

(1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[9]

After rolling, Jimmy nonchalantly tosses the Tungsten dice back to the middle of the table, and huddles over his paper.

"Awesome! What kind of character should I make? With this new system, it's going to make things interesting. I wonder what the Fonz would do?

"Let's see...he's gotta be charming, like me, quick, smart...yeah, I think this'll do!"

Name: Jimmy
    Class: Bard
    Race: Kender

Stats (With racial traits):

Str -8
    Dex -20
    Con -12
    Int -16
    Wis -6
    Cha -19

"Alright! With his wits to guide him, his people skills to save him when his wits fail, and Sarcasm and Nonsense always at hand, Jimmy the Kender will win the day!

*mutters*Because we all know we can't trust a Half-Ogre Half-Elf Half-Dragon Orc to do anything right...
    Last edited by Maxma; 2008-04-06 at 08:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

OOC: Just wondering, but are we using usernames as our ooc name (as in idiot GM) or not? I assumed we were cause it does make things easier to remember.
    "That is an AWESOME mini Koga. Totally perfect. And ranger, yeah, that works. Aragorn was a ranger. Ranger is like, The hero class then." Pink says enthusiastically, placing the miniature in front of him and then unpausing his DS again. "K guys, tell me when we're ready to go. I think I'll be done this level pretty soon." While playing Pink seems to ignore the willing assault going on in the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Let's see. I think 19 strength, 13 dexterity, 17 constitution, 12 wisdom, 10 intelligence, and dump the five in charisma!
    Class- Gladiator
    Race- Half-Ogre Half-Elf Half-Dragon Orc
    Str-19
    Dex-13
    Con-17
    Wis- 12
    Int- 10
    Cha- 5

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Gives expirement10K14 his miniature. "I didn't get around to painting it yet, hope you don't mind.."

Class- Gladiator (Barbarian?)
    Race- Half-Ogre Half-Elf Half-Dragon Orc (Orc lol)
    HP: 38
    Str-21
    Dex-13
    Con-17
    Wis- 12
    Int- 10
    Cha- 5

Special ability:
    Rage (Can at will go into a raging frenzy dealing +1d6 with all attack damage rolls, and all damage done to a rager is reduced by -2. The rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to con-score. Requires a move action to activate, and DC 4 to activate)
    You cannot attempt skillchecks while in rage.

Racial ability:
    Darkvision.

Gear:
    Two-Handed Axe
    1d8+6

Shortsword
    2d4+1
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-06 at 08:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Surly looks up from the dense pile of notes and printed-out forum discussions he has been scanning over since he rolled. He turns to Koga and opens his mouth, then suddenly turns away. Surly scoops his dice back from the center of the table and begans carefully lining them up before his attention skips back to what he was about to say.

"I've got my character figured out! It's going to be a cleric. Not a boring normal cleric though, a totally unique awesome one!"

Character Name- Xtremkz Aw'zumsauze
    Class- Cleric
    Race- Dark elf
    Str- 10
    Dex- 13
    Con-9
    Wis- 16
    Int- 7
    Cha- 9

"He's sweet, isn't he? I wanna have him dual-wield bastard swords! That's the only thing that could make him even better!" Surly literally cannot stop himself from bouncing up and down with excitement, as he has already drinken half a bottle of Mountain Dew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Awesome idea, here's your mini and your whole sheet.

Character Name- Xtremkz Aw'zumsauze
    HP: 25 Mana: 23
    Class- Cleric
    Race- Dark elf
    Str- 10
    Dex- 13
    Con-9
    Wis- 16
    Int- 7
    Cha- 9

Gear:
    Bastard Sword(s)
    1d10+1. (Small reach weapon)
    (You wield the bastard swords at a -2 attack penalty because clerics are not profficient with that weapon and neither is Lloth the drow goddess.)

Racial ability:
    Gains two-weapon fighting.

---Spells Known----
    Commune With Nature (lvl 5, mana cost: 11) [Good/Requires one hand]
    Wail of the Banshee (lvl 9, mana cost: 19) [Evil/Requires one hand]
    Death Ward (lvl 4, mana cost: 9) [Requires two hands]
    Command Plants (lvl 4, mana cost: 9) [Good/Requires one hand]
    Summon Nature's Ally VIII (lvl 8, mana cost: 17) [Requires both hands]
    Fire Sheild (lvl 4, mana cost: 9) [Requires both hands]
    All clerics must face temptation of the opposing forces. You must decide for yourself if you will give in... It will decide what ayou can summon, etc.

Once alignment has been determined, spells of opposing alignment cost +1 mana to cast per spell-level. Though if you peform enough alignment deeds and cast the spells enough you can transition to that alignment. But at some point in time you will have an opposing spell-list. Also casting spells of opposing alignment irritates your god. Lloth is an evil diety, however, you can be tempted to turn toward the Light by Eholahn: the god of elves.

Spellcasting requires expending mana (as indicated by the spell it's cost) and making a mental stat check. (For clerics that's wisdom) Some spells require one or both hands to cast.
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-07 at 02:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

"Oh sorry Maxma, almost forgot about you.."

Name: Jimmy
    Class: Bard
    Race: Kender
    HP: 28

Stats (With racial traits):
    Str -8
    Dex -20
    Con -12
    Int -16
    Wis -6
    Cha -19

Class abilities:
    Bardic music (level 0)
    You can immitate any level 0 spell without paying mana. However, you must make two checks instead of one to cast succesfully. The check is charisma based.

Racial Abilities:
    Pouch.
    As a supernatural effect, kender can draw items from out of thin air by reaching into their pocket. The size of the item drawn can be no bigger then they themselves could lift with ease in one hand, and they roll a percentile roll for success. Roll a d100 and try to roll equal to or under charisma score.

Gear:
    Bullwhip
    Damage: 1 (Far reach)

Pistol
    Damage: 1d12+5
    Magizine: 17
    Ammunition you have: 17

Lute of Ghost Sound
    (At will the lute can emulate the spell ghost sound by playing it)
    Last edited by Koga; 2008-04-07 at 01:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

"Well, it looks like everyone's, ready, so let's get this game started!"

Koga goes and behind one of his books is some poptarts which apparently he left for himself and muches on one as he kicks back and explains the scenario.

Rather then you all meeting IN a tavern, you find that you, and quite a few other people are unable to get INTO the tavern, it's locked from all sides, which is unusual. This is a very big, and popular tavern. There's talk outside and a couple of the local drunks aren't too happy about it. There's probably not going to be any rioting or anything, but it is awfuly strange isn't it?

23. - Top - End - #23

"My character gets angry and yells,
    'Hey, I spent my sweet time walking over here. WHERE IS THE BEER,'
    And bangs his fist on the door."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

No one seems to answer. It's eerie quite inside.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Of course!" a voice pipes from behind Killstealr, "Why hadn't anybody in this large mob of people standing around the building thought to knock on the door, before you showed up!? Thank you for that amazingly profound solution, oh Big and Bright One."

Jimmy smiled at his own wit, and cracked his whip in the air. "Unfortunately, it would appear that your plan is as ineffectual when executed by you as it was when it was executed by every other villager in this Intelligence-forsaken town."

Leaving the large abomination to think on his words, Jimmy slides past him to examine the building, and the door in particular, to see if he can figure out how it's boarded and, more importantly, how to get past whatever barred them from entering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search Check
    (1d20)[17]

26. - Top - End - #26

OOC: "What? You're starting already? I'm fighting the boss right now though!" Pink says, frantically mashing some buttons and moving from side to side on his chair as though that would help.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    OOC: "What? You're starting already? I'm fighting the boss right now though!" Pink says, frantically mashing some buttons and moving from side to side on his chair as though that would help.

Instantly intrigued, Jimmy the Person (not Jimmy the Kender) vaults halfway across the room to stare intently over Pink's shoulder.

"Oh, man, I didn't know you were playing THIS game! Wait...Aw, what are you doing! No, no, no! Hit him from the backside! No, not now, do you know -anything- about computer game villains! After his attack, you hit him from the back! No, not -that- attack, use the -other- attack, so he can'..."

Jimmy (the Person, not the Kender) continued to shout commands and jump wildly, as if his vehemence might affect the gameplay in a positive manner.
    Last edited by Maxma; 2008-04-07 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

[OOC: Actually, it's a Nintendo DS as I think I've mentioned once or twice. But I'd imagine there's a TV and 360/PS2 as a back-up in case the batteries die.]

"What are you talking about? That only works if you're playing the normal version. This is the extra extra hard version that's only unlocked when you've played through the game 13.6 times. See, you don't use the X-button attack, instead you swing around like this, dodge the first volley and..." Pink suddenly stops moving around as, by a telltale beep from the DS, his character obviously bites the dust.

"Umm...so, what are our characters doing again?" Humbly sets down the DS.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

[OOC: oops...that was my ADD moment...sorry, I'll edit the above post accordingly in just a moment]

"What are you talking about? That only works if you're playing the normal version. This is the extra extra hard version that's only unlocked when you've played through the game 13.6 times. See, you don't use the X-button attack, instead you swing around like this, dodge the first volley and..."
    Jimmy (the Person) began to feel a substantial amount of respect growing for this female who knew the game so well. That changed quickly, however.
    Pink suddenly stops moving around as, by a telltale beep from the DS, his character obviously bites the dust.

"Umm...so, what are our characters doing again?" Humbly sets down the DS.

Sullenly, Jimmy returns to his seat, muttering "Full of fail," and other unkind but trivial things.

Plopping himself down on his seat, he looks to the DM.

"Alright, oh Mighty Master of the Fantastical and Mysterious, did Jimmy find anything?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

OOC: Pink's a girl? (No seriously, I didn't know...)

Jimmy doesn't manage to find anything out of the ordinary, just locked doors, locked windows, etc.