New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default I Am the Danger [3.5 Vestige]

Heisenberg, the Corroded Chemist
    Once a great alchemist, Heisenberg is now a vestige. His granted abilities give summoners powers related to alchemy and deceit.
    Legend: Heisenberg was one of the best alchemists of his time, if not the best. However, his talents went unrecognized as he sold out just before his endeavors would have led him to great prosperity.
    Later, Heisenberg was spurned by Incabulos, the god of plagues. Afflicted terribly, Heisenberg delved deeper into his knowledge and created "dark alchemy," a practice that would soon become illegal in most lands. Creating vile substances that simultaneously caused great pleasure and incredible health problems in the imbiber, Heisenberg hoped to earn enough gold to pay for the cure for his plague. Time was limited.
    By the time Heisenberg had earned enough for his treatment, however, he had become as corrupted and dark as the chemicals he crafted. Dark deeds and deception were what he was good at, he realized. For the rest of his life, he threatened and destroyed to get what he wanted.
    His dark alchemical materials took a toll on his soul, however, and it was corroded until nothing remained but a husk of its former self. Upon his death, Heisenberg's soul had been blackened too much for it to even be recognized, and so no deity took him. Instead, the dark alchemy that corrupted him in life led him on a path to the void where vestiges lie in wait.
    Special Requirement: You must say Heisenberg's name after drawing his symbol on a flat, immaculate surface.
    Manifestation: Heisenberg manifests in a cloud of acidic green smoke, appearing as a middle-aged man wearing a black pork-pie hat. His clothes appear a little too large for him and hang loosely on his body. When Heisenberg is fully in sight, he says, "You're goddamn right."
    Sign: Your hair falls out and if you are capable of such, you grow a beard. In addition, a black pork-pie hat appears on your head. The hat can be taken off, but must be held at hand at all times it's not on your head.
    Influence: You must sell any alchemical items or potions you create while bound to Heisenberg. In addition, you must create in as clandestine a location as possible, avoiding any scrutiny (except for potential partners in creation). If someone asks about where you were or what you were doing, you must lie.
    Granted Abilities: While bound to Heisenberg, you gain some of the prowess he held in life, as well as the darker parts of his personality.
    Blue Sky: You gain a +4 competence bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks and gain the ability to craft alchemical items as if you were a spellcaster. Finally, you gain the Brew Potion feat and can create a potion without access to the required spell. You gain a craft reserve (as the artificer class feature) of 4 XP per effective binder level you possess. This craft reserve disappears when Heisenberg is no longer bound. The next time you bind Heisenberg, you gain a new craft reserve. Any reserve XP not used while Heisenberg is bound disappears.
    Breaking Bad: You are the corrupted corrupter. You can influence a creature's actions by succeeding on a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check opposed by the creature's Will saving throw. If you succeed, you are able to suggest a certain action as per the suggestion spell to the creature. You may only make one suggestion per use of this ability. Upon completion of the suggestion, the creature is released from the compulsion and you cannot use this ability for 1 hour. A single creature can only be influenced in this manner for a number of hours equal to your effective binder level in a day and the same creature cannot be affected twice in the same day. Finally, if you influence a creature to commit an evil act, the act's weight falls on the creature's soul, not yours.
    The One Who Knocks: You add your Intelligence modifier or your Charisma modifier (whichever is higher) to Bluff and Intimidate checks and you can take 10 on these checks.
    We're Done When I Say We're Done: Upon dealing enough damage to down a creature, leaving it either unconscious or dead, you may choose to keep it conscious or alive with 1 hp more than would knock it out or kill it. The creature is still helpless, but is aware of its surroundings and can communicate normally. This state lasts for a number of minutes equal to your effective binder level, at which point you can choose to let the creature get up or stay down. If you don't make a choice, roll 1d2 to determine the creature's fate.

Last edited by Temotei; 2015-01-09 at 02:32 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Am the Danger [3.5 Vestige]

Breaking Binder, only on GitP.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darn. I thought this was going to be about the other Heisenberg. Now I'm all disapointed.

On the other hand, I am now thinking about what a bunch of vestiges with echos of great scientists would be like. You'd probably want Neuton, Franklin, Tesla, Schrodinger, Oppenheimer and/or Einstein, Turing and Marie Curie.
    That wouldn't end horribly. Not at all.
    Last edited by Epsilon Rose; 2013-10-31 at 11:23 PM.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    You all know exactly who I am. I'm the 'brewer. I'm the man who made Heisenberg. "Orc feces. Faeries made Heisenberg." You sure?...That's right. Now: Say my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon Rose View Post
    Darn. I thought this was going to be about the other Heisenberg. Now I'm all disapointed.
    I'm sorry. I actually thought about that, too.

On the other hand, I am now thinking about what a bunch of vestiges with echos of great scientists would be like. You'd probably want Neuton, Franklin, Tesla, Schrodinger, Oppenheimer and/or Einstein, Turing and Marie Curie.
    That wouldn't end horribly. Not at all.
    Schrodinger and Tesla would definitely be interesting. Well, all of them would be, but I can picture those two right now.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This craft reserve disappears when Heisenberg is no longer bound and is not added to the reserve you gain the next time you bind Heisenberg.
    Is the craft reserve you get the next time you bind Heisenberg filled up back to 4 x Binder level then, or do you lose any XP you used during earlier bindings? If the former, which I presume, you might better word it as "This craft reserve disappears when Heisenberg is no longer bound. The next time you bind Heisenberg, you have a new craft reserve of 4 XP times Binder level. Any XP not used while Heisenberg is bound disappears."

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Schrodinger and Tesla would definitely be interesting. Well, all of them would be, but I can picture those two right now.
    Do it.

I can picture something for Newton (gravity-based abilities), Franklin (lightning, maybe flight?) and Oppenheimer (explosions, death effect rays; BOOM, BABY!) as well, though I wouldn't count Franklin amongst great scientists.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Or you could say that when around this vestige you are in a zone of danger...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HkG6OSo3E

(Daaanger Zone)
    [/opinion]... Usually.

Weapon Skills (Rough Draft 1)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Weapon-Skills

Coming soon! Some 8 Bit Sub-Classes!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ings)-(WIP!!!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

But... Asimov wasn't a scientist.

He was "just" one of the most prolific writers in the English language. And was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Is the craft reserve you get the next time you bind Heisenberg filled up back to 4 x Binder level then, or do you lose any XP you used during earlier bindings? If the former, which I presume, you might better word it as "This craft reserve disappears when Heisenberg is no longer bound. The next time you bind Heisenberg, you have a new craft reserve of 4 XP times Binder level. Any XP not used while Heisenberg is bound disappears."
    Reworded. I made sure people knew it was the reserve XP they're losing when Heisenberg is unbound, not all XP, so neither of our original wordings are being used.

Thanks for that catch, though.

But yeah, the other scientists would be pretty great. I think I'll start up on them some time today or tomorrow. Maybe Sunday.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

eek Re: I Am the Danger [3.5 Vestige]

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Do it.

I can picture something for Newton (gravity-based abilities), Franklin (lightning, maybe flight?) and Oppenheimer (explosions, death effect rays; BOOM, BABY!) as well, though I wouldn't count Franklin amongst great scientists.
    I'd actually give electricity to Tesla and make Franklin a face, because he was basically a rock star. Depending on what you do with Oppenheimer, you could give something gravity or time based to Einstein and something based on linear movement or momentum to Newton (remember, he's the deadliest monkey in space).
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Actually, he was one. He particular academic speciality was biochemistry, and he held tenure at Boston University.
    Huh. I misremembered that position as being honorary.

My bad. I am shamed. SHAMED!
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

How about Nobel? That one should be pretty easy.

In D&D terms he's probably a hellbred of some description that escaped the fates of both his good and bad sides to hecome a vestige.
    Or something.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Blue Sky: You gain a +4 competence bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks and gain the ability to craft alchemical items as if you were a spellcaster. Finally, you gain the Brew Potion feat and can create a potion without access to the required spell. You gain a craft reserve (as the artificer class feature) of 4 XP per effective binder level you possess. This craft reserve disappears when Heisenberg is no longer bound. The next time you bind Heisenberg, you gain a new craft reserve. Any reserve XP not used while Heisenberg is bound disappears.
    If I had levels in a caster class, and one of the other item creation feats, could I use this temporary craft reserve for non-potion creations?

I'm not saying it should work this way, but that might be interesting.

Also, awesome vestige. Definitely going to use this in my campaign.
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    If I had levels in a caster class, and one of the other item creation feats, could I use this temporary craft reserve for non-potion creations?

I'm not saying it should work this way, but that might be interesting.
    Honestly, I didn't think about that. The way it's worded right now, it would work that way.

It's a cool idea. A dip in binder with Improved Binding wouldn't be a bad idea for crafting-focused characters. I think I'll leave it for the cool factor, unless there's an objection with justification.

Also, awesome vestige. Definitely going to use this in my campaign.
    Thanks. It's my first vestige. Good to see all the positive feedback.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-11-04 at 06:11 PM.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Really good vestige. Given it's level it could be viable to take the Bind Vestige feat line. Which 2 abilities would you have be accessible from the feats?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder what a Vestige of Jesse Pinkman would look like?

... Bitch!
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoPenumbra View Post
    Really good vestige. Given it's level it could be viable to take the Bind Vestige feat line. Which 2 abilities would you have be accessible from the feats?
    Oh, boy. Um. Probably Blue Sky and either Breaking Bad or We're Done When I Say We're Done. I'm not sure. If Breaking Bad were included, it would be the Practiced Binder power with Blue Sky as the Bind Vestige power. We're Done When I Say We're Done would be the Bind Vestige power if that were to be included, though. I think Blue Sky is just too iconic not to include, though, so it'd definitely be in there.

Personally, I'd probably go Blue Sky and Breaking Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I wonder what a Vestige of Jesse Pinkman would look like?

... Bitch!
    Probably improvement through degradation.

There would definitely be a "Bitch!" ability. Possibly a "Yo!" ability, too.
    Homebrew