New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Descent of Shadows: Project Shadow Returns

Here's the first batch of new path masteries. I'll get some more done later.

Scintillating Darkness [Path Mastery]
    You have twisted the powers of darkness to provide you power over light.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Sparkle and Shade mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: You gain an aura out to 10 feet that brightens darkness into shadowy illumination. Within this aura, all creatures are treated as if exposed to bright light (thus activating light sensitivity and light blindness, if any). This aura has no effect in areas already brightly lit.
    Furthermore, you gain immunity to blindness and a +4 bonus to saving throws against patterns.

Iron Master [Path Mastery]
    You have learned how to use metallic weapons and armor to aid your mysteries.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Cloak of Chains mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Add half of the enhancement bonus of any metallic armor you wear to all spell penetration rolls made when using mysteries. Subtract that value from all dispel checks made against your mysteries.
    In addition, add half of the enhancement bonus of any metallic weapon you wield to the save DCs of all mysteries you use. If wielding multiple weapons, only use the highest applicable enhancement bonus.

Warlord of Death [Path Mastery]
    Your mysteries can heal undead that happen to be caught in the crossfire.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Deathless Vigor mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Whenever a mystery you cast would harm an undead, you may instead choose to heal the undead for an equal amount. You make this decision individually for each undead caught in the path.

Forest Phantom [Path Mastery]
    You can take advantage of natural shadows to give yourself an ephemeral edge
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Forest of Night mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: You may walk on the surface of water or pass through mundane plants by paying 2 squares of movement per five feet of distance. If you end your movement on a liquid surface or within a plant, you sink or are ejected into the nearest open space, respectively.

Tainted Eye [Path Mastery]
    You can see evil in the hearts of others simply by concentrating
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Grim Pall of Night mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: You automatically recognize evil creatures on sight. As a full-round action, you may concentrate on a creature to learn the most recent evil act it has performed. The information gained is general (such as “murder” or “theft”, rather than “killed a guard” or “stole the king’s crown”). This ability allows no saving throw but is blocked by undetectable alignment and other effects that protect from divinations.

I know that warlord of death is powerful (a better uttercold assault) but there aren't many ways to get undead in your control via shadow magic (I count 2 mysteries that make them and 1 that makes a nightwing). As such, this will likely fall into the providence of either a shadow necromancer (which will have fun with this, believe me) or a nocturnomancer using both it and uttercold assault (which would be epic to behold).
    Also note that the save DC of Tainted Eye is intentionally low.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-16 at 11:10 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Also note that the save DC of Tainted Eye is intentionally low.
    Why? Detect evil is a No save ability that is available at 1st level (unlike this path mastery, where you need to blow a feat). Just make it a divination ability that is blocked by the undetectable alignment spell and remove the save altogether.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

Just wanted to say thank you as well for all this cool material. My group just wrapped an Epic level campaign where my character finished as a 28th level straight progression Shadowcaster. I was only able to use a few of the new mysteries, but the epic level stuff got me through. My shadowcaster, was really all about battlefield control, and I got a huge amount of mileage out of the Control Battlefield mystery and others like it. The epic shadowcasting material was great.

I even built out a spreadsheet for designing epic level mysteries, based on a spreadsheet someone had done for Epic Level Spells, I just tweaked it for mysteries using your rules. The only difference enforced by my DM was the cost and time factors, he wanted them the same as for Epic Level spells.

I put all the mysteries and the Epic Level stuff into a PDF for my DM for approval, but I'd really like to see this rolled up as a nice PDF once it is all complete.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the praise. I'll continue my work here and hopefully we'll end up with something PDF-worthy.

More path mysteries. There were a couple things here that I'm not 100% sure about so don't feel afraid to tear these things apart.

Dreamt Existence [Path Mastery]
    You have a chance of ignoring effects that target you
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Dreaming Soul mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Whenever a magical or supernatural effect specifically targets you, there is a 20% chance that you simply ignore it. This applies to both beneficial and harmful effects but does not protect you against area effects.

Wings of Night [Path Mastery]
    You are a talented flyer, even if you do not fly naturally
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Dark Angel’s Embrace mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: So long as you possess a fly speed from any source, increase that speed by +10 feet and your maneuverability by one step (maximum perfect).
    In addition, you only take half damage from falls.

Caller of Nightmares [Path Mastery]
    Your mysteries tend to damage the minds of others, filling them with fear and dread.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Dread Keening mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Whenever a creature fails a saving throw against one of your mysteries, it must make another Will save against the same DC or take 1d4-1 points of Wisdom damage (minimum 1).

Fade from the Real [Path Mastery]
    You can fade out of reality to protect yourself from attacks
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Shroud of Midnight mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: As a swift action, you may disappear from existence for a number of rounds up to your caster level (chosen at the time of activation). At the end of this time, you reappear in the same space (or in the nearest unoccupied space if necessary).

Primal Shadows [Path Mastery]
    Your shadows tap into the primal urges of natural predators.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Umbral Fangs mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Animals never attack you unless magically compelled to do so or if you attack them first. Furthermore, all animals within 30 feet of you gain a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls.

Empty Night [Path Mastery]
    You produce an aura of cold and negative energy while in shadow and darkness.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Dark Stars mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: While in conditions other than bright light, the area within a 10 feet/level-radius of you is reduced in temperature by two temperature bands (from hot to moderate or from cold to extreme cold, for example).
    The area within a 5 feet/level-radius of you is treated as possessing the minor negative energy dominance trait.
    You are unaffected by your own auras and your auras do not function in areas exposed to bright light.

Dark Minion [Path Mastery]
    You can call upon a special dark minion to do your bidding.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Shadowed Warrior mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: As a standard action, you may call upon a special minion to serve you or dismiss the minion. The minion is a dark homunculus with ability focus (poison) as a bonus feat. The minion lasts for a maximum of 1 hour/level each day, time that can be used at once or split up over the course of the day. Each time that the servant is called and dismissed, however, counts for at least 1 hour of its duration. Whenever the minion is called, all previously suffered injuries are gone. If the minion is slain, however, it cannot be called again until the next day.

Pry the Secrets [Path Mastery]
    You can see the truths behind the lies of others
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Sense the Darkness mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: You gain a +5 bonus on Sense Motive checks made to recognize a deception for what it is. Furthermore, if you succeed on such a check by 5 or more, you learn the truth that the target refuses to say.
    Lastly, Sense Motive is always a class skill for you, regardless of what class you take levels in. This last ability is not supernatural in nature.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-19 at 07:13 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

back from a trip with gf, i will check these and use them tomorow.( btw i was hoping for more). or that u would had finished by now.. np
    btw if u want any help ask pls.
    more tomorow gn for now
    Last edited by CaBaaL; 2010-02-23 at 06:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry for my recent slowness. I was doing a lot of work to try and get into a campaign and this momentarily slipped my mind (for the umpteenth time).

Here are another eight path masteries, including a weaker version of the jade phoenix capstone (making someone the shadow magic equivalent of a lich, kind of).

Words of Darkness [Path Mastery]
    Your words can empower your mysteries further
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Whispers in the Night mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Whenever you cast a mystery, you may choose to add a verbal component. If you do so, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level and to the save DC. The mystery, however, is accompanied by a susurrus of half-heard whispers, dictating the spell’s every action. Any creature that makes a DC 20 Listen check (modified for distance and ambient conditions as normal) knows the full effect of your mystery and gets a +2 bonus on saving throws made against it.

Into the Darkness [Path Mastery]
    You can vanish into the shadows and return at full health later on.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Midnight Shadows mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: As a full-round action, you can vanish from existence into a small pocket of the plane of shadows sequestered for this purpose. Over the course of the next week, you are healed to full health and all negative conditions that could be removed by a spell or mystery of 6th level or lower are removed. You may regain mysteries while sequestered but may take no other action and are immune to teleportation effects.
    One week after using this ability, you are deposited back to your last known space (or the nearest unoccupied space if needed). A dimensional anchor or similar effect prevents you from using this ability.

Dark Breeze [Path Mastery]
    Winds of shadow carry your abilities further.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Umbral Storm mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Your hair and clothing is perpetually ruffled by some unfelt wind. Whenever you cast a mystery, you may cast it as if you were occupying any square within 30 feet of your true location. This means that you could extend your range or even make melee touch attacks from a distance.

Black Oceans [Path Mastery]
    You can use the inky depths of the ocean to empower your mysteries
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Drown in Darkness mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: While at least 50% submerged in water, you gain a +2 insight bonus to spell penetration checks.
    While so submerged in a body of water at least as large as a pond, any mystery you would normally cast as a spell is instead treated as a spell-like ability.

Endless Abyss[Path Mastery]
    A dark ocean eternally stretches above your head
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Worm of the Shadow Abyss mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Within a 1,000 foot radius of you, there is always a faded black sky ocean floating above your head. The ocean is at an altitude 1000 ft over the highest surface within range.
    Although the ocean fades light a bit, it is insufficient to cause shadowy illumination and only imposes a –2 penalty against fear effects. Creatures that fly into it take 2d6 damage but can pass through it and do not risk drowning. Creatures may make a Reflex save to half the damage, using the DC of your black sky ocean mystery.
    Whenever you cast the black sky ocean mystery, the effects of this feat are suppressed for the mystery’s duration. Lastly, this feat is insufficient to truly power the worm of the shadow abyss but does increase its duration to 2 rounds if there is no active black sky ocean.

Forgotten Pathways [Path Mastery]
    You can take trails best left untaken by most.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Journey to Nowhere mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: With 10 minutes of work, you can vanish from existence. To do so, you must be able to move and explore freely (making it impossible if bound and gagged or held in prison). 2d4 days afterwards, you appear in any location of your choice within the same plane, so long as you know where it is. From your perspective, no time has passed since disappearing. You may also travel to another plane in this way but this takes 2d4 weeks (unless traveling to plane of shadow).
    You can take equipment with you but no other creatures.

Divorced from Nature [Path Mastery]
    The forces of nature have little power to stop you any longer.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Forest of Night mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: The physical attacks of animals, magical beasts, vermin, plants, fey, and elementals (other than shadow elementals) harmlessly pass through you, even when made using manufactured weapon.
    Furthermore, you gain a +5 resistance bonus to all saving throws made against the special abilities of such creatures.

Ebon Blade [Path Mastery]
    You channel your prowess with shadows into the weapons you wield.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast the Obsidian Edge mystery, Path Mastery
    Benefit: Any weapon that you wield gains the shadow striking property. Any nonmagical weapon that you wield gains a +1 enhancement bonus, even if not of masterwork craftsmanship. Both of these abilities last for as long as the weapon is wielded.

All that remain now are the couple of shadow nefarite paths and the phalse one paths. Goodnight for now.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-02-24 at 03:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This might just be me, but I'm running a game with descent of shadows rules right now, and I have a shadowcaster that loves the Ebon Alluvium path, but I can't find a path mastery for it. Does such a beast exist? (Should be based on summon ooze, if it does.)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While kind of embarrasing on my part, I wasn't the person who made that feat. On the first page of this thread, look at the "Links" post and click on the link "More Path Masteries".

Peacenlove made all of the path masteries that I didn't have the patience to make (and my eternal gratitude is with him for it). Unfortunately, the particular feat that you're looking is geared to work for Pathfinder.

Let's see if I can revise it. Just wait a second...

Slime Skin (Apprentice)
    The shadows grant you a thin layer of ooze. Whether that ooze is sticky or slippery depends on the situation.
    Prerequisites: Path Mastery, ability to cast the Summon Ooze mystery.
    Benefit: While in darkness or shadowy illumination, add your caster to all grapple and escape artist checks that you make. You also ignore the effects of all mold, fungus, and slime and are immune to acid damage dealt by oozes.

I guess that I kind of remade the feat from scratch in the end but I hope it works.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-15 at 05:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

NecromancerGirl

On that note i need to add that in that thread i have posted the remaining few path masteries that i forgot to brew (they are on the last post). Path masteries are now finally finished.

Slime Skin (Apprentice)
    The shadows grant you a thin layer of ooze. Whether that ooze is sticky or slippery depends on the situation.
    Prerequisites: Path Mastery, ability to cast the Summon Ooze mystery.
    Benefit: While in darkness or shadowy illumination, add your caster Level to all grapple and escape artist checks that you make. You also ignore the effects of all mold, fungus, and slime and are immune to acid damage dealt by oozes.
    Fixed, and you made it much stronger than my version (mine was only improving the defences against maneuvers, not making shadowcasters ubergrapplers. not that its bad or something just so you know ).
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-04-15 at 11:48 AM.

as Moira

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the praise. I'll continue my work here and hopefully we'll end up with something PDF-worthy.
    I think you already hit that level a long time back. :)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Believe me when I say that it would have long been a PDF if I had any clue what I was doing.

Also, although I appreciate the praise and seeing this thread again is nice, it's generally better to PM the creator about a creation that's sunk back a bit rather than to dredge it up.
    It would be a shame if I could never "complete" this thing because it was locked due to thread necromancy.

Edit: I just realized that you probably found this on page 2 or 3 due to the recent posts. In that case, I direct this comment more towards Buzzwolf.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah i commented cause I seen recent activity on the thread. I tend to come by and check the thread a couple of times a month to see what all new has shown up and if you have the PDF set up yet. Since I would love to have the PDF, my big fear is to come here one day and find it all gone.

13. - Top - End - #193

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mistress View Post
    Yeah i commented cause I seen recent activity on the thread. I tend to come by and check the thread a couple of times a month to see what all new has shown up and if you have the PDF set up yet. Since I would love to have the PDF, my big fear is to come here one day and find it all gone.
    I've got this project in word files separated in chapters (with improved mystery sorting by paths rather than alphabetically) so if something happens or if someone is impatient enough i can send them via mail by request. (please make requests in PM so as not to clutter and derail this thread)
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-04-19 at 04:28 PM.

as Moira

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

so i was wondering if you could make a primal shadow elemental as well as some other shadow monsters soon

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Noxsis View Post
    so i was wondering if you could make a primal shadow elemental as well as some other shadow monsters soon
    EDIT: Confused the Elementals
    However a primal shadow elemental wouldn't be very difficult, just model it from the primal air elemental (just what i did with my monolith, but i added some miscellaneous abilities for their lack of whirlwind and their cold damage will probably be ignored anyway) and the elder shadow elemental, the trouble is assigning a proper CR for them

Elementals, as they grow, they gain only modifications to ability scores, size and Hit die.

Here you go! (from my personal notes, also i was bored to assign to it feats, any suggestions are welcome)
    Note that I use the Pathfinder rule system.

Shadow Monolith
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gargantuan Outsider (Elemental, Extraplanar, Incorporeal)
    Hit Dice: 36d10+216 (378 hp)
    Initiative: +6 (+6 Dex)
    Speed: fly 40 ft. (perfect)
    AC: 15 (+6 Dex, +3 deflection, –4 size)
    Base Attack / CMB / CMD: +36/+ 46 / 56
    Attack: Incorporeal Touch +38 melee (4d6 + 12d6 cold)
    Full Attack: 2 Incorporeal Touches +38 melee (4d6 + 12d6 cold)
    Face/Reach: 20 ft. /20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Utterdark, Mystery Like Abilities
    Special Qualities: Elemental Traits, Outsider Traits, Incorporeal Traits, Blind Sight 120 ft., Cold Immunity, Evasion
    Saves: Fort +18, Ref +26, Will +22
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 22, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 17
    Skills: Stealth +29, Perception +41, Fly +41, Sense Motive +41, Acrobatics +45, +4 skills;
    Feats: +10 Non-epic, +7 Epic.
    Climate/Terrain: Plane of Shadow
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 19
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually neutral, often neutral evil
    Advancement: -

Lords of the Elemental Plane of Shadow, shadow monoliths seldom leave their home plane unless summoned. They speak Auran, and they are the most secretive and reserved of the elementals. The voice of a shadow monolith sounds like the freezing screech of a tremendous blizzard.

COMBAT

Like their lesser brethren, shadow monoliths enjoy blanketing their opponents in darkness and freezing them to death with their touch.

Utterdark (Su): As deeper darkness, constantly emanating from the Shadow Monolith, with a 120 ft. radius, and the light level is decreased by 3 steps rather than 2.

Shadow Mastery (Su): A shadow elemental gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls if both it and its foe are in an area of darkness or shadowy illumination. While in an area of bright light (such as sunlight or that caused by a daylight spell), shadow elementals take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls.

Mystery Like Abilities (Sp): 3/day: Any Mystery with the [Darkness] Descriptor of up to 7th level. Caster Level equals 1/2 of Shadow Monolith's HD. This is equivalent to a 7th level spell.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2011-03-01 at 02:55 AM.

as Moira

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

No, NO! This thread can't start adding new information! I'm too close to having it all compiled! NOOOOOOO!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

you know he is still missing the epic monsters right i know this because he said to see the epic monster list for information on perfect devourer

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

I joined this forum simply to praise all of you on some amazing work.

Realms of Chaos, you're my new hero. This is all fantastic.

Anyone who thinks this is "too dark" hasn't been living in 2011.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Project Shadow PDF:

Further updates will be sporadic due to how much of a pita they will be. (Converting tables is a pain.)

Version 1.6
    -3 of 4 chapter 1 charts fixed.
    -First 2 charts of chapter 3 fixed.
    -Nicer fonts added for chapter pages, book pages, and new sections.

http://www.4shared.com/office/NyAsuY...ersion_16.html

Version 1.5
    -A consistent system of headers added for section/book/chapter.
    -Artwork completed on all chapter and book pages.
    -Artwork for page 1 switched and moved to chapter 5 page.

http://www.4shared.com/office/lqHujX...ersion_15.html

Version 1.4
    -Table of Contents Completed
    -Artwork added to "Book One: Player Characters" Page ( I am having trouble adding additional artwork for the other book page and the chapter pages. Once I get the formatting issue figured out I will add artwork to the other pages.)

http://www.4shared.com/office/Scpdve...ersion_14.html

Version 1.3
    -Now with page breaks! Which means no more inconsistent beginnings for chapters because of hitting the enter key a bunch of times.
    -Now with Page numbers! Starting after the TOC page which was very difficult to do because explanations about how page breaks work are sparse and inadequate.
    -Now with tons more consistency fixes!
    -Now with more awesome!

http://www.4shared.com/office/LaGleN...ersion_13.html

Version 1.2
    -Well over a hundred minor format changes for consistency
    -Styles added to text which results in consistent headings and text formatting
    -Cover page added
    -Images temporarily removed due to Open Office not recognizing paragraphs which means I cannot anchor them consistently to pages yet. Images placed as backgrounds are still in the document.
    -Background image for pages after page 1 now mirrors itself
    -Other minor changes

http://www.4shared.com/office/k73z9y...ersion_12.html

Version 1.1

-Added in a Proto table of contents
    -Added in a background
    -Some image issues fixed
    -Some image issues added (They seem to crop up every time I make changes)
    -Additional images added
    -Feats table partially fixed yet incomplete

http://www.4shared.com/office/O89bNU...ersion_11.html

Version 1.0
    A proto-pdf of project shadow. It contains many errors but the information is there and it is getting close to a semblance of organization. I will update this link in a day or two with a better version.
    http://www.4shared.com/office/xsDN7s...F_Version.html
    Last edited by kits119710; 2012-01-02 at 06:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, this is awesome. I have the PDF and I am going to give it a read soon. So glad I stumbled upon this. Everyone in this project deserves a massive kudos for their hard work.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thumbs up Re: Descent of Shadows: Project Shadow Returns

I personally really like this addition, and have also read the xenotheurgy one. I think your work is absolutely amazing and would like to see more.

As for your first request (the better name), maybe "True Quicken"?

Here to work on the great system that is D&D. Though I will not shoot down 4e's, I am strictly 3.5e player.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

I absolutely love what has been done here. Ever since I popped open the Tome of Magic, I have been enthralled with the flavor of shadow magic. The PDF, all I can say is the tables need cleaned up a little bit. It would be nice if you could just insert a table, like one can do here or on word. But that process I don't think would be as simple, unfortunately.

That said, I have a request. An idea, if you will. A psionic based mystery user. Now, if you were to take this up, I have my own class (Psi-shade), which you may certainly steal and make your own changes to as desired to accomplish this. The whole augmentation thing and school to discipline changes are the primary issue with it as is (Road blocked on how to approach augmentation, and you've added a lot of powers, so.. yeah). Of course you can certainly take a very different approach than my own. I just would be interested to see how psionics would be under Descent of Shadow. How one would be if instead of drawing on the shadows around them and beyond, drew shadow from the darkest corners of their minds.

Regardless, I hope next time I'm in a campaign I can get the DM to allow use of this (or if I am DM, God forbid, this will be one of the first things on the table).

Edit: I had overlooked the dark mind unfortunately. My idea remains, as a core class idea, but.. For the most part on that, simply never mind.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-04-13 at 11:18 PM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It isn't in the PDF but there is something in the thread you might use.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

It isn't in the PDF but there is something in the thread you might use.
    Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Thank you very much.

One more thing. Looking through the PDF, I've noticed the feat 'Erudite Magus'. Have you considered other feats that allow class levels to stack for certain purposes? For instance, Cultist and Cleric levels stacking for Turn/Rebuke Undead and Influence Undead.

If its something else thats in the forum that i've overlooked, then I really need to look more closely at the forum in the future.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #205
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey, RoC are you going to come back and finish this?

Quotes to live by
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW
    "It’s important to be different. If we weren’t then there wouldn’t be any difference between us and machines.” Stay Gold, Bronyboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacharyW
    "Who’s really the messed up one? The person with the disorder or different religion, different race, sexuality, or even ethnic belief? Or is it the one that stoops so low as to insult them for being unique?" Stay Gold, Bronyboy

Other quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Is anyone else getting a mental image of the most macabre ice-trays ever?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

I have noticed something interesting, and so I thought I'd pose the question.

What do you do when a Mystery using class would gain access to a spell to be cast using it.

Do we:

1) Treat all spells of the same level, of a single source (Like, one PrC, feat, so on) As a single mystery for the purposes of casting.

2) Treat them the same way as expanded faith does, each being 1/day

3) Treat them as mysteries of their level, each useable as frequently as a mystery normally would its level.

4) Grant them a unique SpD progression, just tied to their mystery using caster level.

5) Do not grant them the spells.

This comes into play when we take certain PrCs. On one hand A Lawful Good Cultist could, unless I'm mistaken, meet the requirements to enter Prestige Paladin. Unique spells (The spells only held by the bard, paladin, and ranger classes), by raw, are granted but its said that the DM may make rulings effecting that.

On the other hand, shadowcasters could qualify for frost mage, which like most PrCs that grant spells, only give a small list.

Edit:

In addition. A shadowcaster takes Arcane acknowledgement. By raw this would then open up Arcane Disciple. Do we directly convert them to Mysteries, or simply make them (of each level: together or separately) usable 1/day?
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-04-14 at 04:11 PM.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #207

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by IKilledTheDevil View Post
    Hey, RoC are you going to come back and finish this?
    Unfortunately

Projects:[*]Descent of Shadows: A huge compendium regarding everything shadow-related. An attempt to increase the playability of shadow magic. Includes new classes, a new race, many new feats and alternate class features, new spells, new creatures, new prestige classes, new diseases and poisons, new magic items, and so on. Not quite completed but I’m pretty happy with where I left it.
    However hope dies last

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I have noticed something interesting, and so I thought I'd pose the question.

What do you do when a Mystery using class would gain access to a spell to be cast using it.

Do we:

1) Treat all spells of the same level, of a single source (Like, one PrC, feat, so on) As a single mystery for the purposes of casting.

2) Treat them the same way as expanded faith does, each being 1/day

3) Treat them as mysteries of their level, each useable as frequently as a mystery normally would its level.

4) Grant them a unique SpD progression, just tied to their mystery using caster level.

5) Do not grant them the spells.

This comes into play when we take certain PrCs. On one hand A Lawful Good Cultist could, unless I'm mistaken, meet the requirements to enter Prestige Paladin. Unique spells (The spells only held by the bard, paladin, and ranger classes), by raw, are granted but its said that the DM may make rulings effecting that.

On the other hand, shadowcasters could qualify for frost mage, which like most PrCs that grant spells, only give a small list.

Edit:

In addition. A shadowcaster takes Arcane acknowledgement. By raw this would then open up Arcane Disciple. Do we directly convert them to Mysteries, or simply make them (of each level: together or separately) usable 1/day?
    This question will also come up when you take the Mother Cyst or Cerebrosis feats.

My take on this question (and what I would allow )
    Since they are mysteries but not apprentice, initiate or master ones (there is a specific list of them) then what would closely resemble RAW (and IMO RAI) is that you gain the spell and cast it like an apprentice mystery forever (1/day, arcane spell without verbal, material), as a separate use. Also since they are "pathless" they wouldn't be counted in order to gain a feat. Metashadow rods wouldn't work on them since they are not apprentice/initiate/master, couldn't be "upgraded" with favored mystery, since they have no grade and so on.

The opposite effect is more problematic, but thankfully very rare, since mysteries default to standard actions but spells do not.
    Break enhancement and the summon umbral servant / army of shadow fall into this category.

Lastly Dark Silhouette needs a serious nerf bat. Greater shadow (Cr 8) summonable at lvl 8-9 and that nighthaunt guy (Cr 12, who can replicate finger of death, plane shift and other strong effects) at lvl 13, with suitable caster level increases, is a bit much for a 3rd level mystery. Just state that it summons a shadow per 4 caster levels (5,9,13 and so on), or even per 3 CL and keep the original duration. (my opinion might be skewed however because undead are far stronger in PF, and we, as a group, customize the feats of our summons)
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2013-04-15 at 04:17 AM.

as Moira

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    ….
    This question will also come up when you take the Mother Cyst or Cerebrosis feats.

My take on this question (and what I would allow )
    Since they are mysteries but not apprentice, initiate or master ones (there is a specific list of them) then what would closely resemble RAW (and IMO RAI) is that you gain the spell and cast it like an apprentice mystery forever (1/day, arcane spell without verbal, material), as a separate use. Also since they are "pathless" they wouldn't be counted in order to gain a feat. Metashadow rods wouldn't work on them since they are not apprentice/initiate/master, couldn't be "upgraded" with favored mystery, since they have no grade and so on.

The opposite effect is more problematic, but thankfully very rare, since mysteries default to standard actions but spells do not.
    Break enhancement and the summon umbral servant / army of shadow fall into this category.
    ….
    Thats a good way to approach it. I think I should compile lists for PrCs that grant spells, but don't specifically list them (For instance, Prestige bard/paladin/ranger). See just how valuable entering would be. I have this image of a Cultist/PrC Paladin. Though of course you could have Cultist/PrC Ranger, or Shadowcaster/ PrC Bard. Geomancer with Shadowcaster or Cultist could hold interesting results. Not to mention thematically a Cultist/Radiant Servant of Pelor would be rather interesting.
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Previously, I brought up the Prestigious Character classes. Upon entering one, by raw (unless I'm mistaken) you gain all unique spells of said class as spells known. After figuring out how they would interact with the cultist and shadowcaster, i've decided to list what you gain by entering them (as far as PHB spells only), and how you enter them in the first place. Enjoy.

Shadowcaster/Prestige Bard
    Entry Requirements:
    Alignment: Any non lawful
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Skills: Knowledge (any one) 4 ranks, Preform (any one) 8 ranks. (Seeing that preform isn't a class skill, you gotta find a way to make it one, or its level 13 before you reach that prerequisite)
    Special: Ability to cast at least one 1st-level arcane spell from each of the divination, enchantment, and illusion schools. (Arcane Acknowledgement. Divination and enchantment are easily met. Illusion, the lowest non-fundamental in ToM is 2nd level. Not a big deal either, especially since there are 1st level illusion mysteries posted here.)

(1st) Confusion, Lesser 1/day
    (3rd) Glibness 1/day
    (3rd) Good Hope 1/day
    (0) Lullaby 1/day
    (4th) Modify Memory 1/day
    (3rd) Sculpt Sound 1/day
    (5th) Sound of Discord 1/day
    (0) Summon Instrument 1/day
    (6th) Sympathetic Vibration 1/day
    (4th) Zone of Silence 1/day

Cultist/Prestige Paladin
    Entry Requirements:
    Alignment: Lawful good.
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2 ranks, Ride 4 ranks. (Nothing here that can't be met in your first 5 levels, so you could take the full progression of Prestige paladin easily, if not for other requirements)
    Feats: Mounted Combat.
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast protection from evil as a divine spell. (Divine Acknowledgement. Now, we get interesting. The required spell has a material component, so expanded faith cannot grab it. Southern magician + Arcane Disciple [Good domain] will get it for you though.)
    Special: Ability to turn undead. (Influence Undead)

(1st) Bless Weapon 1/day
    (4th) Holy Sword 1/day

Cultist/Prestige Ranger
    Entry Requirements:
    Base Attack Bonus: +4
    Skills: Knowledge (nature) 2 ranks, Survival 4 ranks. (Easily attained by 5th level, regardless that neither are class skills skills)
    Feats: Endurance, Track, and either Rapid Shot or two weapon fighting (A little feat intensive. Total of 4 feats with Divine acknowledgement. Without a bonus feat, your entering at the earliest at 10th)
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast calm animals as a divine spell. (Now things get interesting. The spells selected with expanded faith must be cleric spells. If domain spells are included, you can qualify just fine. If not, you cannot normally. To get around this, you can be cultist or shadowcaster. You'll need your respective acknowledgement feat, Southern magician, and Arcane Disciple [Animal domain]. This means a total of 6 feats required.)

[Do they get -any- unique spells in the PHB for the ranger class? UA states there are, but I couldn't find any.]

From this we can tell that entering prestige bard, just using the PHB spell lists, you stand the most to gain and its the easiest to enter, other than the skill requirements. All of them, however, stand to help create characters with interesting flavors.

If you insist upon adding paladin spells to your list, but still want to keep your caster levels and all, I advise a different path.

Cultist/Silver Pyromancer
    Requirements
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks
    Special: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells (Divine Acknowledgement + Southern magician.)
    Special Ability to turn undead (Influence Undead)

While this doesn't automatically grant you spells 1/day in this case, the paladin spell list becomes added to your list of mysteries you can learn. So after entering you can start throwing in paladin spells as you choose. In addition, you only lose one caster level. I advise picking up fire spells (via expanded faith and Arcane Disciple mostly) to take full advantage of the Pyromancer ability.

Bonus: Contradictory Combo. Light from Shadow
    Spoiler
    Show

Incase you ever feel like flying in the face of the very theme of shadow magic, well come with me my friend. Previously I mentioned Cultist/Radiant Servant of Pelor. Which is possible, but pending upon your interpretation may require certain hoops. But no, here I have something a bit more interesting.

Cultist/Master of Radiance
    Requirements
    Alignment: Any nonevil.
    Skills: Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks. (Unless you want to wait until 13th level to meet the prerequisites, heres what you do. Gotta get knowledge (nature) to be a class skill. That means feat, multi-classing, or use of the Devout Heretic alternate class feature, selecting the Animal domain or plant domain, or similar domains)
    Spells: Able to cast daylight as a divine spell. (Expanded faith. Feat wise, divine acknowledgement)

What does this to for us, you may ask. Well, at the sacrifice of one caster level, we can contradict the very basis of shadow magic. Effectively use it to create light and to better combat the undead. its level stack with your cultist levels for influence undead so thats a plus.

Bonus: What would give us the most extra spells in the form of 1/day?
    Spoiler
    Show

Shadowcaster/The Rainbow Servant

Requirements
    Alignment: Any nonevil and non chaotic.
    Skill: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks.
    Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells. (Arcane acknowledgement)
    Special: Must find the hidden jungle temples of the couatls.

Shadowcaster 5/The Rainbow Servant 1
    Gain:
    (1st) Protection from Evil 1/day
    (2nd) Aid 1/day
    (3rd) Magic Circle against Evil 1/day
    (4th) Holy Smite 1/day
    (5th) Dispel Evil 1/day
    (6th) Blade Barrier 1/day
    (7th) Holy Word 1/day
    (8th) Holy Aura 1/day
    (9th) Summon Monster IX (good creatures only) 1/day

Shadowcaster 5 (7)/The Rainbow Servant 4
    Gain:
    (1st) Obscuring Mist 1/day
    (2nd) Wind Wall 1/day
    (3rd) Gaseous Form 1/day
    (4th) Air Walk 1/day
    (5th) Control Winds 1/day
    (6th) Chain Lightning 1/day
    (7th) Control Weather 1/day
    (8th) Whirlwind 1/day
    (9th) Elemental Swarm (Air only) 1/day

Shadowcaster 5(9)/The Rainbow Servant 7
    Gain:
    (1st) Protection from Chaos 1/day
    (2nd) Calm Emotions 1/day
    (3rd) Magic Circle against Chaos 1/day
    (4th) Order's Wrath 1/day
    (5th) Dispel Chaos 1/day
    (6th) Hold Monster 1/day
    (7th) Dictum 1/day
    (8th) Shield of Law 1/day
    (9th) Summon Monster IX (Law only) 1/day

Shadowcaster 5(11)/The Rainbow Servant 10
    Gain:
    All Cleric Spells 1/day each?
    or
    Ability to Learn Cleric spells as Mysteries.
    (gonna want a ruling here)

You however do not gain access to 9th level spells before 20th level doing this.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-11-07 at 05:24 AM.
    Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #210

NecromancerGirl

Good and bad news for Rainbow servant.

The bad
    Cleric Spell Access: A 10th-level rainbow servant can learn and cast spells from the cleric list, even if they don’t appear on the lists of any spellcasting class he has.
    Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don’t appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists. This class feature grants access to the spells, but not extra spells per day.
    C.Arcane pg. 55. Sadly no. You can select (do not gain automatically) divine spells as mysteries that work like gradeless mysteries. But with no uses per day.
    Still getting the ability to cast them from spell completion / trigger items with your shadowcster caster level is comparable to a 4th level vestige, namely karsus.

The good
    Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new rainbow servant level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which she could cast 3rd-level arcane spells before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any
    other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, wild shape ability, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of rainbow servant to the level of whatever other spellcasting class the character has, then determines
    spells per day accordingly.
    Same page. Text triumphs table so you get your 9th's just fine.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2013-04-19 at 03:53 PM.

as Moira