New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Darkworld IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Darkworld IC

Elva

With the dragon's roar still ringing in her ears, Elva thinks that this is the end, every beast in this mountain has turned against them, and nothing can save them now.
    "Don't mind the sound, it's not dangerous! Just make sure the others know that, and rally them by the fire!"
    Arlen's words make her blink in disbelief, but seeing him just march into the forest brings her to her senses. If we don't focus, we'll never make it. she thinks, frowning, and bursts into activity. Hustling forward, she shouts to the others.

"Everybody go north and keep away from the forest! Jeb, get up! Edder, come on boy, come with me!" As she walks, her eyes search frantically the woods for any sign of the second pack. We'll be prepared this time. Gray doesn't need to be told anything, a nod and she follows swiftly, despite the fact she's now leaving a trail of blood in the snow.

"Yell if you see them coming close!" cries Elva, worried that with the dark and the rain she might fail to locate the wolves in time.

In the meantime, alerted by the dragon's roar, the hippogriff flaps its wings and flies up in a steep angle, heading west. It glances up and around in mid-air from 30 feet high, perhaps upset but without slowing down, and suddenly looks down again and dives straight for the wolf caught in the south end of the web, fast and hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elva moves to N-10
    Spot (1d20+8)[25]
    Listen (1d20+8)[12]
    Readies action: Entangle spell (40ft radius centered at the junction of D1,D2,E1,E2)
    Trigger: if she perceives (via spot/listen checks, or if someone else warns her) wolves having entered for good in the northwest quarter of the map. "For good" means around colums D and E. If she fails to notice them in time, and so much as a muzzle appears out of the forest in the west, she'll cast it immediately.
    (OK, that seemed complicated, sorry, but I think it just took a lot of words to describe something quite reasonable. Right?)
    Gray moves to O-11.

PS- It goes without saying that I don't intend to entangle allies. I assumed Arlen is safely around lines 9 or 10 and colums G or H. If by any chance he's gone deeper, I'll move the spell's area accordingly.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arlen

As his spellcasting concludes, Arlen drops his hands to his sides, clutching his bow and coming somewhat to his senses again. The focus of the moment had caught him up - so fiercely had he grasped at his flimsy stratagem that he had not had time to think of fear or self-preservation. Now, when there is nothing to do but await the outcome of his spell, the situation comes over him in a rush: the next gust of wind seems to go straight through him, and he is suddenly conscious of his surroundings, in front of the group and facing the wolves nearly alone. Perhaps the fear of the group had been a more sensible reaction than his reckless offensive...

Nervously, he notices Kraalkar, only a few paces away, but noticeably farther than the wolves struggling to free themselves in the portion of the web nearest him. Reaching out for the comfort of his connection with Sul, who circles protectively overhead, the canny woodsman shivers. Offering a quick prayer to Oloriel, the goddess of Nature, he peers around the battlefield, hoping that this evening will see them safe and warm in Stone, and fearing for the first time that this might not be the case for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing but fluff and a free action.

Arlen:
    Spot - (1d20+16)[36]
    Listen - (1d20+13)[19]

Sul:
    Spot - (1d20+18)[35]
    Listen - (1d20+18)[23]

Edit: I am Arlen and this is Sul, and we are: The All-Seeing!!
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-18 at 12:40 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Again, the wild, impossibly powerful roar almost deafens you. Though you think you heard Arlen clearly, you still have to struggle to keep your wits about you in the face of such a realistic aural assault. Your mind believes there is a huge beast only a few dozen paces away, yet your eyes cannot confirm or deny its presence due to the poor illumination of the torchlight.

And for a few moments after the crashing and roaring have subsided, you hear very little, besides the sounds of your companions and the caravanners to the north and the sleet cascading onto the icy snow.

Imbrus has made it to the caravanners, and is shouting orders in a quavering, yet surpisingly convincing voice:

Yes. Exactly. He said to chop down limbs or anything you can find. Yes, we should set them on fire. What? I'm not going to argue! Are you? Do it now! What? What are you talking about?

Uluia races to Jeb's side and helps him get to his feet, but he is leaning heavily on him. It's all she can do to hold him up.

Edder does not move forward. He falls to his knees instead, his palms face up, a blank expression on his face.

Vululf, the fighter caught in the web, is pale faced with terror. He is attempting to free himself, but to no avail.

The hippogriff, perhaps sensing an easy kill, climbs into the sky and flies straight down towards one of the mired wolves, talons extended.

Kralkar takes a mighty swing at a mired wolf, badly wounding it, but not killing it. The wolf's struggles intensify as it tries to escape its doom. Kralkar is about to take another swing just as the "Dragon" screams again, and his aim is thrown off by the terrifying sound.

A few of the mired wolves free themselves and then run quickly into the night away from the scene of their matriarch's fall.

Two wolves are angered by Kralkar's attack, and once they free themselves, they leap at Kralkar, mindless of their own safety.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These wolves (J-12 and J-13) were previously at I-12 and I-13. Take your attacks of opportunity (if you get two?). If you don't kill the I-12 wolf with this blow (or the cleave blow, if any, he hits you for 14 damage. I-13 misses.

The shining eyes of the wolves in the darkness do not advance or retreat.

You hear only the sleet falling all around you.

END ROUND FIVE. BEGIN ROUND SIX.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by harmonictempest View Post
    Arlen

As his spellcasting concludes, Arlen drops his hands to his sides, clutching his bow and coming somewhat to his senses again. The focus of the moment had caught him up - so fiercely had he grasped at his flimsy stratagem that he had not had time to think of fear or self-preservation. Now, when there is nothing to do but await the outcome of his spell, the situation comes over him in a rush: the next gust of wind seems to go straight through him, and he is suddenly conscious of his surroundings, in front of the group and facing the wolves nearly alone. Perhaps the fear of the group had been a more sensible reaction than his reckless offensive...

Nervously, he notices Kraalkar, only a few paces away, but noticeably farther than the wolves struggling to free themselves in the portion of the web nearest him. Reaching out for the comfort of his connection with Sul, who circles protectively overhead, the canny woodsman shivers. Offering a quick prayer to Oloriel, the goddess of Nature, he peers around the battlefield, hoping that this evening will see them safe and warm in Stone, and fearing for the first time that this might not be the case for him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing but fluff and a free action.

Arlen:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]

Sul:
    [roll2]
    [roll3]

Edit: I am Arlen and this is Sul, and we are: The All-Seeing!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can pick out the leader, as he is still illuminated by the waxing moon from your angle. He has drawn a bead on you, and though his ears perk when you cast your aural illusion, he barks orders to his footsoldiers--not a retreat. Sul is quite nervous, and is finding that the sleet is impeding her movement just a bit. Take -5 from her move speed.

You hear both sides of Imbrus' conversation with the caravanners:
    What? They want us to start a fire?
    Yes. Exactly. He said to chop down limbs or anything you can find.
    Build a fire, here? Like a camp?
    Yes, we should set them on fire.
    Bollocks to that. I'm not going to set up camp here. I'm gonna find shelter. Where the wolves and whatever else is out there can't find me.
    What? I'm not going to argue! Are you?
    I'm gettin the hells out of 'ere.
    Do it now!
    I'm goin down in the hole.
    What? What are you talking about?
    DOWN THE HOLE, you dumb F***.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Kraalkar: attack of opportunity while I consider my options.

(1d20+7)[27] Attack of opportunity vs. I-12 (woohoo, crit!)
    (3d6+6)[14] Damage

(1d20+7)[16] Cleave attack (if necessary)
    (3d6+6)[14] Damage
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-18 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarification

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[26] Attack 1 vs. J-13 (19 is a crit threat with a greatsword, woot!)
    (3d6+6)[17] Damage

(1d20+7)[23] Attack 2 vs. J-13 if the first attack didn't kill it
    (3d6+6)[16] Damage

I had Cleaved J-13 after dropping the previous wolf from the AoO. (Cleave can be used once per round, but I had only hit once on my turn (didn't kill the wolf) and so hadn't Cleaved yet this round.) If my first attack hits and kills J-13, I will forgo my second attack and instead take a move action (40 ft.) to O/P 6/7. Otherwise I will take both attacks against J-13.

Blood from the crumpled corpses surrounding him makes the footing treacherous, but the barbarian sets his feet firmly and growls, focusing his strength into a massive two-handed blow at the last wolf.

Kraalkar feels his anger-driven energy fading as he stands over the bodies of the wolves, chest heaving. The sword is suddenly heavier in his hands. I must hold it together...for a little while longer... he thinks desperately. The caravan...

Marshalling the last of his reserves, Kraalkar straightens to his impressive height and squares his shoulders, then turns and moves rapidly toward the camp. "Stop your squabbling, little man!" he booms, injecting stern warning into his deep voice. "You waste valuable time. Build up the fire!"
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-18 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added the description

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[19] Bluff check to appear strong and commanding
    (1d20+9)[13] Perform (oratory) check for vocal inflections

Not sure if you want these, but I'll throw them out there in case you do. I want to take charge of the situation and get people organized. My rage will end at the end of my next round, by the way.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    If you look West, you can see the wolves melt into the darkness of the woods. Some head North, and others move South. The giant wolf seems to have disappeared.

Zimmia: it's no problem for her to hoist him on her shoulder, if she wants. He weighs about 170 lbs.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-18 at 03:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Daar

Daar looks around her, taking in all their dwindling options. She spies Jebb being held up by Uluia and turns around to help them. She comes up to him on his right and puts her left arm around him, about to hoist him up when she thinks the better of it and picks him up gently and puts him over her shoulder. "None of us will be left behind," she says encouragingly and the three of them head toward the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move back to N/M20 (or meet them if they manage to move forward) and take Jebbs weight from Uluia. The fatigue and the large size cancel each other out and she has a STR of 16. I'd like to get them moving right now. If the 16 isn't enough to help him along, she will stop and cast bulls strength, but only as a last resort - we're already far enough behind the others that I don't really want to stop to cast the spell when we're so spread out. (edit, thanks for the clarification)
    Spot: (1d20+8)[10]
    Listen: (1d20+11)[28]
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2008-03-18 at 06:43 PM.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

10. - Top - End - #70

Arlen

Suddenly, the wolves vanish into the darkness, heading either north or south. Arlen's breath whistles in through his teeth with surprise. That's not good...

Whirling around, he sees Daar already helping Jeff as Kraalkar cuts through some of the last wolves. Appraising the situation, he calls "Kraalkar, can you help Vululf out of the web? Elva, can you or your hound try to drag Edder along? The wolves have gone to attack from another angle, and we need to regroup by the fire before then." He moves slightly west then, standing ready to help anyone who may need it, and ward off unexpected attacks. With a word, he sends Sul to watch for the least sign of the wolves returning.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you find Arlen's words to be selfish, you should realize that he currently has 8 Str (with the fatigue penalty) and it is obvious to your character that he would not be much help dragging people around.

Five-foot step to 10L.
    Readying an attack on any wolves who appear unexpectedly to attack his comrades.
    Sending Sul toward the fire, which she will circle, watching for the wolves. This set of Spot/Listen is made by her at approximately 7N, height of 30 feet, on her way toward the fire, looking for wolves. She ends her turn about 15 feet north of the fire, beginning to circle it (and will complete one full lap each turn).
    Spot - (1d20+18)[20]
    Listen - (1d20+18)[38]
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-03-18 at 11:12 PM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva
    "Kraalkar, can you help Vululf out of the web? Elva, can you or your hound try to drag Edder along? The wolves have gone to attack from another angle, and we need to regroup by the fire before then."
    They are surrounding us as we speak. The boy is beyond help, Gray is wounded and I need to keep my eyes open. Cullen's plan might... work, after all. Elva looks like she's been stabbed in the heart. For a moment it seems as if she's about to head north again. The Circle would certainly approve, she thinks sullenly and leans on her staff.

"Mered!" she shouts suddenly in anger, a rather obscene colloquialism of her homeland that the Circle would certainly not approve. She spins around and stomps towards Edder, wiping the rain and her wet hair from her eyes, and plunging her staff in the snow with more force than necessary. Gray follows silently.

"Come on, then" she says simply to the boy when she gets near him, and without waiting for any kind of response, she kneels and passes her hand under his. Her eyes dart around as she picks him up, expecting to catch a glimpse of the wolves any time now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I wasn't very clear about Edder, but I didn't know how he would react (or how heavy he is). If he can walk supported by Elva, we'll do that, with him in the middle and Gray on the left. If not, she'll try to carry him, preferably in her arms if he's small and light enough. Is there any chance he resists? We'll go straight north after that.
    Spot: (1d20+8)[27]
    Listen:(1d20+8)[22]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The wolves leap at Kralkar as soon as they have freed themselves fromt the mire, but he is ready. He sidesteps one and lays the other open, shearing its breastbone and exposing its innards. The wolf doesn't even twitch as it falls face-first into the snow.

Kralkar's backswing is powerful enough to sever the second wolf's spinal column between the shoulderblades with a single blow. Its head still moves, but its body lies limp as if it was made of wood. Its death takes but a few moments.

Daar and Elva are able to help Edder and Jeb about 20 feet towards the fire, though neither is helping much.

You can get me out. Don't leave me for them! You can get me. Just a tug or two. That's all it'd take!

Vululf is still stuck fast, and he is hissing across the snow:

Don't leave me here! Please! Oh god!

Vululf points into the Southern woods just outside the clearing.

Here they come!

Uluia moves to help him.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you make a DC 25 listen: You can hear the yips and growls of the advancing wolves. They are all around you.

You also hear some shouting. There is a fight breaking just to the north of the fire.

If you make a DC 25 Spot, you see shadowy wolfen figures along the treeline to the West. You can see shining eyes lined up along the road to the south.

To the north, you can see the caravanners bunching up just north of the fire. Some are thrusting their spears, and others have their bows drawn and ready to fire. Imbrus' voice rises above the group.

Get your spears in there. It's the only way. Meg Gerney is waving her firebrand at the back of the group.

It's him or us!

To the South, you hear several barks in quick succession, followed by a low, long howl. The voice is at least an octave lower than the other wolf voices you have heard tonight. It must be the giant wolf.

End Round Six. Begin Round Seven.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-19 at 11:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva looks north, then south and feels her mouth drying up. Gray, it seems very likely that it will be our bodies that will delay them from getting to the others. For all the good that may do. Forgive me. Trying to think of a way out of this, and for the moment failing, Elva informs the others of the wolves' whereabouts, at least those she has managed to locate.

"About twenty of them and their leader are coming from the south, and about a dozen from the north-west." Her voice is loud and dull, as if there's nothing to be alarmed of, but also nothing anyone can do about it. As if to demonstrate that you have no reason to pull a fit when you are already beyond hope.

Spoiler
    Show
    As I said in OOC, that was fluff and free action, proper actions for the round are to follow.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The fight beyond the fire is intensifying. One caravanner cries out in pain.

harmonictempest: From Sul are waves of anxiety at seeing so many wolves as well as an earnest plea to retreat to the fire. Sul sees hope beyond the fire.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-20 at 12:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Finally, Elva touches her torc and whispers a few words with half-closed eyes. And the forest to her west comes alive. The trees bend and writhe, the boughs wrap around the wolves holding them fast and every branch searches for a loose limb to entwine.

Elva glances south again and holds Edder more tightly. "Come on now, let's walk faster and get to that nice and warm fire, shall we?" With the boy in the middle, she and Gray head north, while looking back all the time at the pack of wolves following them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once again, we move together north, as far as possible.
    Entangle centered at the junction of B5,C5,B6,C6.
    And a (rather desperate) diplomacy check: (1d20-1)[3]
    Edit- yeap, pretty hopeless
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-20 at 01:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Daar

With Jebb over her shoulder, Daar puts a free hand on Uluia's arm. "We should join the others at the fire," she says larconically, and continues to move toward the fire. She is far too concerned about just how they're going to survive to utter any assurance about their future but feels she should say something else. "In my tribe, the spirits of our ancestors watch over us and give us protection and guidance. It is perhaps more familial than the gods of humans. Right now, I wouldn't refuse anyone's blessing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move toward the fire as quickly as Uluia's movement will allow us.

-Walt Disney

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Daar, Elva, Sul, Gray, and Kraalkar:

Spoiler
    Show
    The closer you get to the fire, the more clear the picture becomes. You see a wide cave mouth with a large boulder pushed in front of it. Out of a 2-foot square opening at the top Western side of the cave juts a spear that is almost twice the size of those your party carries. It is jabbing out of the cave entrance at anyone who comes close enough. One caravanner is dead. Three others are bleeding profusely from deep wounds, and have been carried to the back of the group.

Four of the caravanners are attempting to pry the boulder away from the entrance with their spears from the East side of the entrance. Fear and desperation plays across most of the faces in the crowd.

Meg Gerney is at the back of the group, but she obviously understands the situation.

Burn him out! It's him or us!

18. - Top - End - #78

Arlen

Arlen stands frozen for a minute, as he realizes how completely surrounded they are. His shoulder sag, and for the briefest of moments he considers fading off to the east, where he could evade the wolves as they focus on weaker targets. Suddenly, Sul echoes in his head, and as he puzzles over it, something he'd heard earlier finally falls into place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed's Dead View Post
    I'm goin down in the hole.
    What? What are you talking about?
    DOWN THE HOLE, you dumb F***.
    We have to get to the fire. NOW.

Watching the remaining members of the group flee towards the fire, Arlen did what he could to slow the advancing wolves long enough to take advantage of this "hole". With a thought, he whipped the globes of light south toward where he'd heard the lead wolf, setting them dancing in the hope that they would, if not distract the wolves, at least make them detour around it. Then, quickly molding another small lump of wax, this time into a beak, he tossed it high into the air toward the south. Immediately, the fearsome cry of a Storm Roc was heard in the darkness above, as if diving down toward the wolves below. Then he turned and, like the others, headed toward the fire, hoping to find some safety against the impossible odds they were facing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not my best RPing, I'm afraid. But my internal writer doesn't quite wake up every day. ;-)

Redirecting Dancing Lights to 18 K and 18M- free action
    Casting Ghost Sound in 16L - standard action
    Moving towards the fire (not sure where I'll end up 'cause of the crowd) - move action

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar takes in the situation at a glance. "The hole", eh? The large barbarian moves alongside the men who are straining against the stone, and crouches down. "Altogether, then, on the count of three," he says quietly. Spirits help us, I don't have anything left...but this stone has to move. That nejas is condemning us all to death, and I will not allow it! Kraalkar feels a weary anger stir in his chest. He takes a deep breath, braces his shoulder against the stone, and growls "One...two...THREE." With an explosive groan, he channels everything he has left into moving the stone.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18] Strength check to move the stone. I believe the others can Aid Another (me)....I hope.

Rage ends as of this turn.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-20 at 11:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

With the five of you straining, the rock begins to move. The spear stops its deadly dance and disappears into the cave. The rock stops moving. The spear-carrying brute must be pulling the rock back into place.

Imbrus somehow makes himself heard above the sleet shower and grunting men.

What are you waiting for? Push that god-forsaken rock out of the way. We must find shelter!

Imbrus throws his shoulder into it as three other men grasp whatever handholds they can in order to push the rock out of place.

The cave entrance is opened just enough for a man to walk through with squared shoulders.

There, standing in the firelight, is a large, hairy man, powerfully built, with a protruding brow, a jutting jaw, and a mass of twisted teeth. His proportions are ape-like, and his body is hairy and almost naked.

He is ready. The brute has grabbed his spear again.

COLOR="Olive"]Grrraaaaaahhhhh![[/COLOR]

He shoves the wide flint tip deeply into Imbrus' side and then uses his leverage and incredible strength to disembowel Imbrus.

The boy falls stricken into the snow--his lifeblood pouring out of him, a strange, haunting smile on his face.

Before the brute can move, two spears and an arrow find their way into his naked chest and belly. All the fury and anguish built up over the last three days' hunt add a kind of ruthless power to the attackers. The brute is hurt, but he tries successfully to ignore his wounds.

Ululia is not close enough to thrust, so instead she draws her spear back and lets it fly through the air. It sails clear of the branches cris-crossing its path, and buries itself in the giant's neck.

The brute grasps for its shaft and pulls it out, but a spout of blood from his jugular springs forth. His face is ashen in the torchlight as he realizes his doom, but he does not yet fall.

Another low, long howl eminates from the South, and the almost forgotten wolf horde approaches slowly and cautiously from the North and South. Those to the west are otherwise occupied. [Heh.]

Three wolves break from the safety of the pack and leap upon Vululf. He is ripped to shreds before he has a chance to defend himself or even cry out.

Meg Gerney grabs another firebrand from the brute's fire. She is strangely silent, but her jaw is set in determination as she peers into the dark.

Edder comes to himself, pulls free, and takes a step toward the Wolf Leader. He is sobbing.

blood...blood...blood...blood...blood...

DC 25 Spot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody make a spot check. If you hit DC 25, you will see that several of the wolves caught in the Web and Entangle spells are terrified, realizing they are easy prey for the Storm Roc. Much of their confidence seems to lie in their mobility. The entire group looks wary, and the pack does not make the offensive you expected. Only the leader and a few others look ready to fight at this moment.

End Round 7. Begin Round 8.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-21 at 01:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva looks behind her, sees the wolves closing in and takes a deep breath. "Keep going north! Daar, don't take even a step back!" she shouts, and makes a gesture with her left hand, her bracelet of beads dangling on her wrist. The trees on her left bend their branches once more, twisting and wrapping around anything that moves. And beneath the snow, the sleeping grass and roots wake up from their winter slumber, find their way up and writhe wildly above the white surface.

"Edder come back! You can't go in there!" yells Elva as the boy passes in front of her and walks headlong to the giant wolf's mouth - and the living trap that the ground has just become. She stretches her hand to grab him before it's too late, all the while staring at the huge wolf with a mixture of resolve and pleading.

And Gray, who has seen many a time the woods of his homeland come alive like that, jumps undaunted on the wolf behind them.

Spoiler
    Show

Entangle (via Pearl of Power) centered at U-11,V-11,U-12,V-12.
    http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/81/round8aagl5.jpg
    spot (1d20+8)[18]
    listen (1d20+8)[10]
    Gray moves to L-8 and attacks the wolf at M-9.
    attack (1d20+6)[20]
    damage (1d6+6)[8]

A note about this round's actions: If grabbing Edder counts as more than a move action, I can't do it. I suggest we keep it for fluff (she tried and failed) and I'll use my remaining move action to draw the scimitar.
    If it does count as a move action, we're jolly good. And in case you need a roll for that, here's a d20: [roll]1d20[/roll]
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-03-22 at 03:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Daar

Watching the brute in the cave, Daar gives a joyful cry and moves once more forward with Jebb. "You might as well fall over now, or Daar will slice you right in two when she gets there. That's our cave now!" She is about to look around for the wolves when she hears Evla's warning. Knowing that some sort of spell is about to be cast, she decides instead just to move on. Daar wipes some of the snow and sweat out of her eyes and stalks ever closer to the cave. When she reaches the others, she gently sets Jebb down, looking to see the state of the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would it require a spot check to see how injured our own group are? I think it's probably more a heal check, but we'll do both just in case:
    spot: (1d20+8)[18]
    heal: (1d20+9)[18]

-Walt Disney

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

The stone moves, then stops, and Kraalkar's strength drains out of his limbs. I can't...do it... He slumps to his knees, still stubbornly leaning against the stone. His vision seems to flicker. From the corner of his eye Kraalkar sees Imbrus rallying the men, and then a broad spear head bursts from his belly and the boy falls.

NO! Kraalkar twists his body and stares up at the brutish figure wielding the gory spear. "No!" He staggers to his feet, gripping his greatsword in two fists, and swings--to late for Imbrus--at the killer. Someone is screaming in anger, but Kraalkar only dimly registers that the sound issues from his throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[22] Attack
    (3d6)[10] Damage

Please add +1 to attack and damage; I miscalculated the Strength score of an exhausted and Enlarged barbarian.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-23 at 01:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see the bloodshed just past the fire continue. You also see that the wolves to the north are closing.

Gray viciously bites an overconfident wolf in the neck, drawing blood before she loosens her hold and regains her fighting stance.

Though Elva is quick, Edder seems bent on self-destruction. Perhaps he believes this will be a faster way to end his suffering. Perhaps he is simply frightened out of his wits.

Daar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daar knows pretty clearly that everybody around her has suffered some injury, however minor. It would take a closer look to see who is closes to death, but Kraalkar's blood and the blood of those he slew is certainly intermingled. Though Imbrus has been disemboweled, you have seen a few recover from wounds as grievous as this.

Kraalkar:

Spoiler
    Show
    Incredibly, Kraalkar finds the will to fight, despite his weakness. His sword slices neatly through the breastbone of the brute, spilling blood and tissue. The brute crashes to the ground. The wolves wait beyond him...as does the cave.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-23 at 09:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Arlen

A grim nod. The wolves were closing ever nearer, but with any luck, they'd make it in time. While the others clear the cave entrance (a pity really; we could have shared it, had he listened), Arlen darts to Imbris' side. Drawing some thick moss and bandages from his pack, he attempts to staunch the bleeding and close the wound as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal - (1d20+8)[18]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Arlen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your minstrations have slowed the bleeding, but it will take something just short of a miracle to save Imbrus now.

The large, hairy manlike thing falls heavily to the snow. The cave entrance is dark, and a deeply repugnant smell eminates, easily nosed by all within the immediate vicinity.

The vines, grasses, and tree limbs of the forest reach out and grasp most of the wolves within their grasp. Those not immediately held fast move very slowly through the area, forcing their way toward their prey. This supernatural attack has unnerved many of the wolves. Their eyes roll, and little plaintive yips escape their black lips. The writhing flora only serves to infuriate the leader, however, who redoubles his efforts to make his kills.

Edder walks right into the fray, and his unnerving muttering is cut short as the Wolf Leader takes him into his mouth and crunches his bones. Edder, ironically, comes alive in those last moments, as if he has startled from a waking dream. His arms and legs flail about, and he screams from the depths of his soul until there is no more breath left in his body. The Wolf Leader grunts heavily, tosses the boy's body aside, and howls with an unnerving and shrill challenge to those who would dare oppose him. His hackles are up, and his eyes are bright.

The wolves from the north, unrestrained, must have seen this strike as their call to arms. They charge across the frozen ground and leap, snapping and growling, onto their prey. More than half a dozen caravanners are cut down in an instant. The few who thought to set their spears against the charge are somewhat successful. No wolf is killed, but three are injured. Three caravanners run into the cave out of sheer desparation and fear, only one torch between them. No wolf yet follows.

Kraalkar is bitten savagely on the thigh by a snarling wolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take an attack of opportunity against one attacking wolf, since you have reach, and it must pass through your threatened square in order to hit you. If you don't kill it outright, take 16 damage

Daar, too, finds a snarling wolf attacking her leg and lacerating her calf to the bone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take an attack of opportunity against one attacking wolf, since you have reach, and it must pass through your threatened square in order to hit you. If you don't kill it outright, take 15 damage.

The wolves from the south are more careful. They see the sticky web and writing vines on either side, and they especially see that these effects can be easily felt by their brothers and sisters. They proceed more slowly, and they do not yet attack.

Meg takes several steps north, almost into the front lines of the battle. The surviving caravanners have formed a kind of protective semicircle around her and a few of the weaker members of the group, but she shouts to her defenders,

Step aside. I'll fry these pups where they stand.

At once, two bold wolves run forward, directly at her. Just before they reach her, Meg waves her firebrands in the air, weaving a strange fiery symbol which hangs in space before her. Twin streams of fire burst forth from her torches, searing both wolves and causing them to burst into flames. Their cries of pain, terror, and confusion cut through the sounds of the battle, and even those caravanners on the edge of despair are awed and amazed by what they have seen the old woman do.

The burning wolves run back to the North, colliding with each other, with the trees, and with other wolves as they run. In just a dozen steps, they both lie dead, smoldering in the snow.

Meg manages to screech a challenge above the din.
    There! I'll fry ya all, and eat ya fer supper, ya mangy curs!

Spoiler
    Show
    On the caravanner casualties--remember, often two or three caravanners (especially the weaker ones) occupy the same square. It might get a bit thick for a bit, but I'll make sure to count as precisely as I can. I think we're running pretty low on friendly NPCs now, however. By the way, I'll have a new map sometime Monday evening. I'm finishing the nine weeks right now. Tura, could you send me an larger version of your modified map if you have one? If not, it's ok.

End round 8. Begin round 9.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-03-24 at 01:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Take an attack of opportunity against one attacking wolf, since you have reach, and it must pass through your threatened square in order to hit you. If you don't kill it outright, take 16 damage
    (1d20+5)[17] Attack of opportunity
    (3d6+1)[16] Damage
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-03-24 at 08:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Spoiler
    Show
    Take an attack of opportunity against one attacking wolf, since you have reach, and it must pass through your threatened square in order to hit you. If you don't kill it outright, take 15 damage.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[18]
    damage: (3d6)[11]

-Walt Disney

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kraalkar and Daar see the wolves coming. They swing in unison, their blades whistling though the air. Both wolves are grievously wounded, but both stay on their feet and finish their charge.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

This is hardly the first time Elva finds herself watching at close range a man being eaten alive by wolves. And back in the forest of her homeland, one could simply not afford to be squeamish about such things. Still, the sheer size and power of that wolf makes the scene more unnerving than anything she has ever witnessed, and the growing feeling of personal failure only makes matter worse.

"..too late. And for nothing. And at the expense of..."
    With a glance to her right, Elva sees Gray in danger of being surrounded and immediately comes to her senses. "Down, Gray, get out of there, and watch it!" She nods to her and runs back north, not in a straight line but heading west and then turning, showing the elkhound that she should take a similar route. She arrives next to the fire, steps over a dead body and hastily attacks the nearest wolf, shouting to the men near her: "Run to that hole now!"

Gray retreats carefully to the forest, turns around before the snapping branches, positions herself next to Elva and growls to all directions.

Spoiler
    Show

Gray withdraws (no AoO please) and moves to K-7, then to O-3.
    Elva moves in a semicircle: N-6--> N-4--> O-3-->P-4 and attacks the wolf at P-5.
    attack: (1d20+6)[11]
    damage: (1d6+4)[8]
    spot: (1d20+8)[16]
    listen: (1d20+8)[19]