New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Darkworld IC

1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Darkworld IC

Kraalkar

Take a moment to regain your strength, huruz-mau. At least for now we are not in immediate danger.
    Kraalkar grips his amulet as the warm energy flows once more from Daar's hands, and the pain of his wounds recedes. "Once again I thank you, shinja," he says solemnly. Twice now she has rendered aid, though under no obligation to do so. My toh'grul increases...Mutani send I have an opportunity to repay the debt soon.

Slowly Kraalkar's trembling muscles relax. They are safe for now. At the expense of your companions' lives, whispers a cold voice in his mind. Kraalkar flinches. We had to! he yells back. They said to do it! The voice is remorseless. You are useless, Kraalkar, just as the warriors said. You abandoned your shieldmates! You abandoned Imbris! Kraalkar crushes the voice with a mental snarl. He would deal with those ghosts later. Right now we have to get out of this thrice-cursed hole.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-01 at 12:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

You have a moment to look around. The cave, lit only by torchlight, is made up of a kind of dark grey rock with occasional crystal deposits. The floor is dirt, presumably tracked in from the outside over years of use. there are scrape-marks on the rock that has been rolled over the entrance--a sign of long use. The entrance chamber itself is fairly level, but at the back, where the passage narrows, the floor slopes downward at a sharp angle. If you go toward the passage, you will feel a slight draft on your face. It's warmer than the air outside, certainly above freezing.

Once your breathing quiets, the cave is nearly silent. The voices, one deep and one high, continue to murmur and echo through the dark cavern.

Arlen speaks softly into the darkness.

The voices stop.

Gray whines. Her nose twitches, and she looks back at Elva.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-02 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Gray is a she! Sorry, Tura.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"What is it, Gray?"
    , asks Elva and pets the elkhound behind the ears. She moves towards the tunnel, calling Gray to follow her, with her leaf-shaped sword in hand just in case. She rises the torch up, and looks down the slope.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm not stepping literally on Arlen's toes, I'm in M-7.
    (And Gray is a she.)
    Listen: (1d20+8)[20]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[11]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

DC 20 Listen: edit: just added to the spoiler as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    The voices have changed to whispers. They sound human, but this is not the Varsa tongue. After a few moments of listening and peering intot he dark, you can hear the scrape of boots on stone.

Gray's hackles stand up, and she takes two steps forward toward the narrow, darkened passage.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-02 at 08:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"Footsteps. They heard us, I think."
    Elva follows the dog down the tunnel and squints a bit, trying to shed some light in there with the torch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving about 10-15 feet. Can we open the map a a bit?
    Spot: (1d20+8)[25]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[10]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar steps away from the cave entrance toward the sloping tunnel, his attention on the elkhound. That dog doesn't like whatever's down there. Best be cautious. Pushing his fatigue aside with an effort, the barbarian lifts his sword into a ready position, sword tip aimed at the tunnel entrance. He pitches his voice to reach Elva where she stands with torch raised, peering around a bend in the tunnel. "What do you see?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[13] Spot check
    (1d20)[20] Listen check

Moving to squares J/K-5/6. I'm readying my standard action to attack anything overtly threatening that comes within reach (undead, tentacled cave monsters, etc.) especially if I see it threaten/attack Elva.

Yay for working ears!
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-03 at 09:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thrusting your torch forward and squinting past its brightness into the dark, you can see that the passage opens up to a room about twice the size of the entrance chamber you just left. Two large, brutish humanoids with jutting jaws, protruding brows, and hairy bodies are moving toward you, bent double because of the low ceiling. One is male and the other, female. They wear furs about their waists, and their torsos are bare and hairy.

When you thrust your torch forward, they grip their spears with both hands and crouch, so their backs can straighten in the small space. The larger one with the deep voice
    GET OUT! THIS OUR CAVE!

Kralkaar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the deep voice shout in the echoy cave, and you can understand his heavily accented Varsa. GET OUT! THIS OUR CAVE!

Daar and Arlen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make a listen check. If you don't hit DC 20, you can certainly hear a shouting humanoid voice thundering through the passage, but the echoes make it difficult to understand the thickly accented Varsa.

All:

Spoiler
    Show
    Make knowledge (nature) and/or knowledge (local) checks, please.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daar

Even though her healing touch had been directed to Kralkaar, Daar took confort in the closeness with the spirits as she cast the spell. During her long journey this far, it had always reminded her that though she was far from her tribe, the reach of the spirits was infinite, and allowed her to remain focused on her goal of reaching Stone. She straightened and moved away from the mouth of the cave, shutting out the sounds of the feeding wolves. She caught the sound of Elva's companion as it guarded and realized anew that their troubles were not completely over. Raising her blade, she stood upright and took a deep breath, concentrating on what was beyond the glowing reach of the torch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E/F-4/5, and ready standard action.
    Listen: (1d20+11)[26]
    spot: (1d20+8)[24]
    Knowledge nature: (1d20)[1]
    Knowledge local: (1d20)[10]
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"We mean no harm." Elva speaks calmly, trying to reassure the Walkers as well as Gray with the tone of her voice, and takes a moment to sheathe her blade before raising her right hand, palm out, to show it's empty. She tries to talk loud enough to be heard in the other room, but not so loud as to sound threatening.

"Of course the cave is yours. But there is a pack of wolves outside, big ones, and if they get in, we'll all be in danger. We can help you defend the cave, and we can share our food with you. We'll leave as soon as the wolves go away. And if there is a way out the back, we can leave right now, if you like."

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the torch the only source of light in there? How many more exits are there in the room?
    Oh, and here's a d20 just in case you need it. (1d20)[14]

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The male Walker narrows his eyes and takes a step closer to Elva.

Wolves?

He glances at the female.

<Where Gok? Gok outside?>

The female answers

<He cook deer.>

He looks back at Elva.

You CLOSE CAAAVE! GOK OUTSIDE WITH WOOOOLVES!

Spoiler
    Show
    The language he speaks is Darkworld's equivalent of Sylvan. Even if you don't speak it, you may recognize the language.

I'll answer all your questions regarding position, etc. tonight. I'll get a new map out, which should clear things up quickly. There is only one torch. These guys have low-light vision, something I should have included in their description for the hella-high knowledge check.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-03 at 05:26 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

You CLOSE CAAAVE! GOK OUTSIDE WITH WOOOOLVES!
    Aye, it would have to be that way. "Gok" is outside... The idea comes suddenly, and no sooner does it enter his mind than Kraalkar acts upon it. He whispers a word of power and suddenly his form shimmers and morphs, until a brutish humanoid looms in his place. Instead of a sword, he appears to hold a large spear. I hope this works...

Moving past Arlen, Kraalkar steps up to the hole in the wall and mimes thrusting his spear at attacking foes. "GOK CLOSE CAAAVE! NO WOOLVES!"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[25] Perform (oratory) check to mimic Gok's voice
    (1d20+11)[12] Bluff check
    (1d20+17)[27] Disguise check

Standard action to activate my disguise, move action to shift position to F/G 3/4, and free action to speak.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

At the sound of Gok's voice, both Walkers run to the narrow space between the chambers. The male pushes past Elva and Gray and looks at Kraalkar. His eyes are bright, and he laughs when he sees Kraalkar.

Gok! Hasah Vu!

Ke Nane? Ka Nane vul-vesh?

Spoiler
    Show
    translation: <Gok! You live!>

<Who are they? Who are these Other-landers?>
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-03 at 08:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

"That one save me!" Kraalkar gestures back at Elva, but keeps his attention on the narrow opening and his "spear" poised as though to strike a target outside the cave. "I repay debt."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[23] Bluff check
    (1d20+9)[26] Oratory check
    (1d20+17)[25] Disguise check to impersonate Gok (as per the skill description)

I don't know if you want these each time I interact with them, so use/discard these rolls as necessary.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Now what? Kraalkar wonders as he peers through the crack, trying to get an idea of what the wolves are doing outside. The familiar rush of energy he feels during a performance sharpens his mind. I wonder if I could... He surreptitiously pulls a few hairs from his fur clothing and blows them toward the opening, blocking his actions with his bulky body. The air whispers from his lips, through the hole in the wall, and suddenly a wolf snarls outside the entrance.

"HA! You no get my friend!" Kraalkar thrusts the spear through the hole and crows in victory as the "wolf" yelps in pain. The sound moves away from the boulder and fades into the distance. Kraalkar turns toward the passage. "It danger there. I show them other way."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[6] Spot check to see what's outside.
    (1d100)[96] Spell failure check (1-20 means the spell fizzles) on ghost sound.
    (1d20+11)[27] Bluff check to interact with potential attackers in an authentic manner...
    (1d20+9)[16] Oratory check. Let me know if I need to make these to mimic Gok's voice as best as I can when I talk.

Also, please let me know if I'm doing too much here. I'm trying to cast a spell (standard), mime an attack (move), and talk as a free action.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-04 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Clarified my actions

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

It takes a moment for Elva to realize what's going on, though she assumes this is one of the black elf's tricks. As she finds herself between the two Walkers, she involuntarily takes a few steps back, quietly calling Gray next to her. She's not sure how far this will take them, and doesn't feel too comfortable about lying to the Walkers either, but she understands that the truth may.. complicate the situation.

<These are no ordinary wolves. The son of Fenris leads them. Even the mightiest warrior doesn't stand a chance against them. We fought them as best as we could, but most of us fell. We are wounded and tired. May we pass? Can you show us the way?>

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, it still makes sense after geeklord's post, I'm keeping it.
    Note: Elva doesn't like lying and generally avoids it. The "son of Fenris" part isn't meant to be a lie, but a description - their vocabulary wouldn't allow the long explanation.
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-04-04 at 10:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Arlen

Sizing up the situation in a moment, the elf relaxes. Here was an area others were far more expert in than he, and he was content to watch Kraalkar's stultified facade with mild amusement. Slinging his bow back across his back, he leans quietly against the wall of the cave, cooing to Sul to come sit on his leather-gloved fist. Stroking her absently, he nearly cracks a smile, and an amused glint flickers in his gray eyes as he watches the pretense play out. Acting always seemed so...silly, like a game where other people pretended it was a good idea for you to look like an idiot. At any rate, it afforded them all a light-hearted moment to forget the pain of the last few minutes, and a distraction from weary legs and stiffening muscles.

Besides, a strange cavern to explore? That thought alone makes Arlen glad for the possibility of delving deeper into the cave. Turning away from Kraalkar, he follows Elva toward the rear of the cave, Sul on his hand so that she won't have to try to fly in this cramped space.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-04-05 at 10:42 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The large male Walker looks at Kraalkar and nods his head. Then he looks at Elva and claps her on the shoulder. Elva feels she's been hit with a large sack of grain.

Gal Gok, Vu.<You help Gok.>

He smiles, revealing surprisingly white teeth.

<I know Fenris' grandson. He kill us. He eat us, still alive. He not stop.>

The male looks at the floor with regret.

Then, he turns to the female and points down the right corridor.

Vred Dreck Dol. Maman nee.
    <Go start fire in pit. We cook.>

He looks at Elva, and then gestures to the party.

Harh das, vu. Das. Vrenvren gas, vo vu.
    <You stay here. Stay. Morning come, you leave.>

He then turns to Kraalkar.

Gok kashk arooo meme?
    <Me help kill wolf, Gok?>

He brandishes his spear.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-04 at 01:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar grunts agreement. "You kill wolf. Show them they not come here." He turns to Daar and Arlen. "Come, fire this way. You rest."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The brute forces his way through the tight spot and walks toward the cave entrance.

He motions to the party.

<Go. Eat. Hot food good. You save Gok. Eat food. Share drink. Is good.>

He looks at Kraalkar.

<We fight wolf all night. Kill many, eh?>

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

"Yes, many!" Kraalkar grins toothily. "We be warm soon, plenty fur." Kraalkar glances toward the flickering torchlight in the passage. "That one save Gok. You watch here. I talk to that one, then we fight wolf."

Kraalkar moves toward the tunnel and Elva, adopting a serious expression appropriate for any discussion touching his honor.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-04 at 03:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The brute heads toward the blocked entrance. He pauses for a minute, looking at the others, and says,

Vul-vesh chik, chine Gok?
    <Why you talk Out-Land, Gok?>
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-04 at 03:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Daar

As she realized that Kraalkar was not just talented as a warrior and arcane instrument, he also had another astonishing quality. She kept her face passive as the interaction between 'Gok' and his friends continued, feeling that at last their luck had changed. She was a little alarmed when Kraalkar suggested that he and the others go and kill the wolf, but she also realized that the two were fresh and were going to be fighting from the best defensible position.

"Just maybe..." she thought.
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2008-04-04 at 08:01 PM.

-Walt Disney

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

<Out-Land their way of talking. I talk Out-Land so they know we their friend and we no hurt them.> Kraalkar switches back to heavily-accented Varsa and gestures to Daar and Arlen. "Come, I show you fire. Eat food. You safe here. No wolf come." He leads the way toward the fire beyond the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving 40 feet (double move) to M8, which includes reduced movement from squeezing through the tight space.

(1d20)[14] Spot as I come around the corner.

Let me know if you need any other rolls.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

<We thank you for your hospitality.> says Elva loudly, but as soon as "Gok" approaches she hushes her voice and whispers urgently "How much more time?", gesturing to his new looks.

She moves between the two passages, trying to see what's going on in both tunnels, and has Gray stand guard in front of the left one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to I-12, Gray to G-13, guarding.
    Spot: (1d20+8)[21]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-04-07 at 09:56 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GeekLord View Post
    Kraalkar

<Out-Land their way of talking. I talk Out-Land so they know we their friend and we no hurt them.>
    The brute smiles at this, then smiles (or perhaps leers) at the others.

HA! Yes. No hurt them!

He peers through the crack as as Kraalkar and Arlen leave the room. Evidently, Kraalkar's spell has earned the interest of the wolves. The brute jabs his spear through the opening, and a loud yelp eminates from beyond cave entrance.

<HA! I hurt wolf, Gok!>

As you each make your way into the next room, you can see that the passage to the right is illuminated by fire. The passage to the left is dark.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-07 at 12:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

Daar

"Good hunting" Daar says as she passes the male brute and makes her way down the tunnel to join the others. So far so good, but she also knew that Kralkaar couldn't keep it up forever. At least it's giving them a chance to take a breath before they have to fight again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to the bend in the cave, L/M-7/8
    Last edited by Zimmia; 2008-04-07 at 02:50 PM.

-Walt Disney

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

How much more time?
    Kraalkar shakes his head at Elva's urgent whisper. He can feel the energy binding his large frame together begin to unravel at the edges. Overstretched tendons protest sharply, and his joints feel tight. Not long now... I have to find that exit before this fades, or it isn't going to work! He pauses beside Elva and glances down each tunnel. "I need to exit the cave in this form to explain where Gok went, and to explain "my" appearance. But I have only moments." His whisper does not travel beyond her ears. "Do you know which tunnel leads to the exit?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to J/K 10/11.
    (1d20)[14] Spot check for external illumination/exit signs.
    (1d20)[7] Listen check for wolves/outside sounds.
    (1d20+5)[22] Survival check for any indicators.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-07 at 02:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can hear voices and see firelight reflecting off of the walls of the right corridor. The left corridor is quite dark in comparison. You may hear the whistling of the wind to your left.

Kraalkar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In order to make this move more smoothly, and in order to keep up with your time (somewhat less than a minute) remaining on the spell, let's post per round. No initiative necessary.

All: We're going to move into per round actions in order to keep up with Kraalkar's spell duration. No initiative needed at this point. Whoever posts first, acts first.

The chamber is dark and quiet. The large brute behind you at the entrance is thrusting with his spear, keeping an actual wolf at bay.

There are two passages: one which leads off to the right, and one which curves to the left.

Begin Round One

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Daar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perhaps it's your darkvision, but as you look carefully around the room, you see the hair of Gray's coat flutter as if he were standing in the wind. Though you might expect it to be warmer away from the entrance, it actually seems just as cold.

30. - Top - End - #150

Arlen

Arlen, still relaxed, catches Kraalkar's eye. With the tiniest inclination of his head, he indicates the left passage. Standing erect from his position where he had been leaning against the wall, he takes a step toward it, obviously in no great hurry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No bluff check needed because Arlen actually is totally relaxed, and rather amused by the situation, truth be told.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)