New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Darkworld IC

1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Darkworld IC

Kraalkar

The flicker of firelight reflects off the walls of the right-hand passage. We can't afford to be wrong... Kraalkar catches the dark-skinned elf's gesture and turns toward the left-hand passage. It is dark and silent, but the elf has proven he knows his way around the wilderness. With a return nod, Kraalkar moves into the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move to C/D 15/16.
    (1d20)[13] Spot check
    (1d20)[5] Listen check
    (1d20+5)[12] Survival check (if needed)
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-07 at 09:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kraalkar trots downward through the passage to the left. He carries no light, but he travels confidently through the cavern. He quickly disappears into the darkness.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arlen

The elf follows Kraalkar down the passage, unhurriedly observing the cave walls and floor as he goes. Too bad we can't spend the night here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving down the left passage, far as I can for now without stepping on someone's toes.
    Spot - (1d20+16)[24]
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

4. - Top - End - #154

Daar

Hearing the excited voices of the cave-people, Daar moves out of the way of the narrow corner in the cave, and toward the left-side tunnel, out of the way of the female she hears. 'It's only a little time left,' she thinks to herself as she feels the energy of the enlarge spell start to waver and her muscles and tendons begin to feel like elastic bands in an oven. It could be perfect though, if the others are drawn into battle with the wolves at the entrance, then they had a chance to escape down the left fork. She had no idea where it would take them, but the breeze was a good indication that it went somewhere.

And at the moment, somewhere was their best option.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll results: spot: 17, listen 28, survival 14
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva takes a last look to the right, and hastily follows to the left tunnel, glancing behind her from time to time to check if the Walkers are distracted enough by the wolves to not bother with them for now. Gray moves a step ahead of her, always alert.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, I really need to check my emails more often... Sorry about that.
    Moving north full speed.
    Spot: (1d20+8)[9]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[20]
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+10)[23]
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) untrained: (1d20)[1]
    knowledge checks to guess where the tunnel could lead (outside, inside, sleeping Walkers, animals...). Mainly wondering if walking around with a torch is a good idea.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva and Arlen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check your email. I sent you a new map. and a description. If you know Woric, you can hear the following conversation as you stand in the next chamber.

Daar: [/spoiler] You hear approaching voices and foosteps from the right passage. As Elva and Arlen head into the left passage, you hear a shuffling and the sound of rocks falling to the cavern floor. I don't think you know Woric, so the following dialog will be gibberish to you. Unless you know it, of course.[/spoiler]

Elva and Arlen disappear into the left passageway, taking their light with them. Four large humanoids shuffle into the chamber, spears in hand, looking for a fight. One is a female, and the others are males. The males point their spears at Daar menacingly.

2nd male: <Who you? What you do here?>

female: <Where Gok and Vred?>

3rd male: <Look tasty, you. We eat you tonight. Big meal!>

END ROUND ONE. BEGIN ROUND TWO. NEW MAP ON EMAIL.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-09 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added content

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

The stone is cold on Kraalkar's arms as he muscles himself over the ledge, forcing his exhausted limbs to obey him, and the bitter wind drives sleet into his face as he breaks through the layer of snow. The ice is coming down harder, working its way into a real storm, and the frigid wind leeches heat from his skin with frightening speed. The barbarian lowers his head and peers around. Nothing moves near him. This might work after all...

Kraalkar reverts to his normal human voice. "Aaaah! Help, wolves!" And then in Gok's voice: "Hey! Get away, wolf! You no come in Gok's cave! Raaaaaah!" And again in Gok's voice and this time in the Woric tongue, <Aaaarr, now I kill you wolf!>

Shaking from exhaustion, Kraalkar releases the fading energy that holds his large form together and dismisses the illusion that makes him look like Gok. His body collapses in on itself as his bones and muscles reshape themselves into familiar lines. Sweat bursts from his pores and his body is racked with pain. The wind whistles through him and freezes his sweat-soaked furs against his body. Almost...there...

He quickly falls to his knees--more of a collapse, really--and rolls in the snow and then, gripping his greatsword wide of his body, drops through the hole into the cave.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[6] Spot check

Rolls from email roleplay:
    Perform (oratory) check: 26
    Bluff check: 24

The check to climb out of the cave was part of my last round through email, but I included it here for the sake of completeness.
    Last edited by GeekLord; 2008-04-09 at 11:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva, Arlen, and Kraalkar

Spoiler
    Show

Elva and Arlen have just entered the dark chamber and discovered the bodies when Kraalkar calls out.

Kraalkar reverts to his normal human voice. "Aaaah! Help, wolves!" And then in Gok's voice: "Hey! Get away, wolf! You no come in Gok's cave! Raaaaaah!" And again in Gok's voice and this time in the Woric tongue, <Aaaarr, now I kill you wolf!>
    A few moments later, Kraalkar drops through the hole in the ceiling onto the pile of snow, ice, and rock.

9. - Top - End - #159

Daar

Eyes open wide in true surprise, Daar finds herself suddenly surrounded, while the divine power in the spell granted by the spirits begins to wain, and she wobbles a little bit on her feet. She holds up her hands and looks from one to the other. "I am a friend... I help Gok"

Spoiler
    Show
    Daar doesn't speak Woric, but those spears kinda speak for themselves

-Walt Disney

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Daar:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Walkers, who looked like they were about to skewer you on the spot, pause at your mentioning Gok's name.

OOC: Please make a bluff check.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Daar:

Perhaps it's your familiarity with the social norms of tribal society, or perhaps you somehow intuitively sensed the fear-driven aggressive behavior of the Walkers surrounding you, but somehow you modulate your vocal pitch and use your body language to calm the Walkers immediately.

Sensing that you don't speak their language, the female speaks Varsa to you.

You help Gok too. Good. Where he? Where Vred?

Simultaneously, you all hear a vicious growling sound coming from the cave entrance. The Walker covering the entrance, who you assume is named Vred, howls victoriously.

The Walkers' heads turn simultaneously toward the sounds.

Female: Vred?

Male #4 Gok?

Without a word, two of the males run into the left passage while the female and remaining male run toward the entrance.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva looks around the chamber, wondering if the dead bodies are Walkers of the same tribe and why they weren't buried properly. While she observes the bodies, the chamber and the passages that branch out of it, trying to remember what kind of odd burial rituals the Walkers were known to have, the Uruk crashes down. Elva forgets the corpses and swiftly moves next to him, helping him up and looking for any new injuries.

Then the two Walkers come stomping in, and Elva puts a hand on Gray's fur and soothes her before she starts growling at the newcomers. She looks at them, trying to keep as calm as possible, and waits for Kraalkar to complete his explanation. For some odd reason, despite the urgency of the situation, she remembers an old custom of her village, a theatrical sketch of sorts (where one would play the role of a warrior, another the role of a werewolf and they would pretend to fight), and she smiles. And here is someone who plays both roles at the same time.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot (1d20+8)[25]
    listen (1d20+8)[14]
    knowledge nature (1d20+10)[13]
    knowledge dungeoneering (1d20)[8]
    survival (1d20+14)[16]
    (to see/hear/understand anything about the chamber, three passages, and especially the corpses.)

and
    heal (I think) (1d20+3)[16] to see if Kraalkar is hurt from the fall

13. - Top - End - #163

Arlen

Despite the darkness, Arlen moves fluidly. Backwards as it may seem, he is more comfortable in this mysterious place with secrets to explore than in any well-known comfortable retreat. He paces confidently toward the bodies, wondering what happened to them. Strange, one would think even the Walkers would bury their dead. As Arlen reached the bodies and bent to examine them, he was interrupted by Kraalkar's energetic roleplaying. As their companion fell through the roof, once again small as life, two more Walkers rushed into the chamber.

Hmm, well that would certainly be one way out. Might be a little difficult to reach, though. I wonder where the other villagers went? Arlen stands, giving a curt nod of acknowledgement to the two new arrivals, and waiting for Kraalkar to give his explanation. "Why don't you go see how safe of an exit that is, Sul-lah?" he whispers to the owl on his hand. "Then we can start looking for the other members of our caravan." She takes off, dropping a few feet towards the floor before her powerful wings kick her up towards the opening in the ceiling. Waiting for the interaction before him to progress, Arlen bends slightly again, looking for any trace of the other villagers. With a slight twinge, he remembered the fire down the other passage, and hoped their companions had not so speedily been made into a meal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Arlen didn't see any trace of them earlier, did he?
    -Sending Sul up through the roof to scout around and see if that exit's safe and if she sees any sign of the other villagers.
    -Arlen speaks Woric, just for the record. He's simply choosing to let Kraalkar lead the way.
    -"-lah" is an Elven diminutive. Added to Sul (wind), it means "breeze" (literally, "little wind").
    To look for tracks of the villagers: Survival - (1d20+15)[18]
    To know the burial customs of the Walkers: Know geography - (1d20+8)[14]
    Sul's Spot and Listen once she gets topside: Spot - (1d20+18)[36] Listen - (1d20+18)[24]
    If Kraalkar does not immediately get up/begin speaking, Spot and Heal checks to see if he's okay: Spot - (1d20+16)[20] Heal - (1d20+8)[14]
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

14. - Top - End - #164

Daar

Relieved beyond belief, Daar watches the four others disperse down two legs of the tunnel and immediately heads down the left to catch up with her friends. As she walks she concentrates for a moment and the energies keeping her double size dissipate and she returns to normal with a groan as her muscles reduce in size, but very comfortable to be her usual self. Moving down the left passage, she looks around her intently for the others, and any hint of where this leg might go.

Spoiler
    Show

move to E-14 (I think - I can't actually see the letters on the map), and dismiss the enlarge person. If time, add some checks (if not these can serve for next time)
    spot: (1d20+8)[22]
    listen: (1d20+11)[18]

-Walt Disney

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You look around the room, looking and listening intently for anything which would shed a clue of what this place might be. You notice that two of the corpses have stone weapons in their hands. Another has what looks like a stone scraping tool and a small leather pouch on its chest.

Arlen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see no tracks other than those of your party and the Walkers. Perhaps if you went back to the central chamber...

You notice that the weather has worsened. Heavy sleet is falling through the opening in the ceiling.

You get a strong sense of anxiety from Sul. She is coming back in.

Kraalkar seems fine. He landed on the pile of snow and ice, which broke his fall.

Daar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the others as you head down the corridor. If you peek around the corner, you see the map.

If you don't peek, don't look at the map. :)

edit:
    The two Walkers eye the three of you suspiciously.

<Where Gok? We hear him in here.>
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-11 at 08:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar's eyes widen in surprise at the sudden appearance of the large Walkers, and he staggers clumsily to his feet. "Who...what..." He stops, takes a deep breath, and grounds the point of his sword at his feet.

<I greet you, friends. I do not know who "Gok" is, but one such as yourselves erupted from the snow and killed the wolf that was attacking me, and then chased the second wolf...> he glances up at the ceiling and thinks a moment, <...that way.> Kraalkar points in the general direction of the cave's entrance. <I tried to follow, but I fell down this hole.>

Kraalkar glances around and lets out a joyful shout. "Arlen! Elva! You're safe!" He turns back to the Walkers and bows. <I thank you for welcoming my friends to your fire.>

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[24] Bluff check
    (1d20+13)[17] Diplomacy check

Let me know if this is too much for one round. I'm using my standard action, move action, and free actions to speak.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

<They did welcome us to their fire, and we were offered food and shelter> Elva nods to Kraalkar, and turns to the Walkers <by Vred> she concludes, hoping the mention of a familiar name will ease their suspicious minds a bit. She had heard the female inquiring Daar about him, and was sure that he was the one who told them to stay.

No need to make this more complicated than it already is. These Walkers aren't very hospitable, but they are merely protecting their den. I can't blame them.

Spoiler
    Show
    If (and only IF) it is possible to Aid Another for a diplomacy check, I'll try my chances to roll 10 or higher.
    (1d20-1)[12]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Walkers look confused for a moment. They glance at each other, and then look up at the hole in the ceiling.

Without another thought, one crouches low and offers his leg as support. The other stands on his leg and easily lifts himself out of the cave into the storm, then extending his hand for his companion, who is lifted out of the hole. The moves are practiced and immediate.

They disappear into the stormy night.

19. - Top - End - #169

Arlen

As the pause following the Walkers' departure stretches thin, Arlen finally breaks the silence. "I suppose that could have gone much worse. Should we head to the main chamber to share the dinner they offered?" As Sul flaps back to his wrist, he relaxes at the thought of some shelter in this weather. Then, as he thinks on where the real Gok is (and what might happen if they leave that way in the morning and his body is discovered), and the other bodies in this room, and the strange absence of the other villagers, "Then again, perhaps we should explore the cavern further."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

"Yes, perhaps we should." Elva looks around at the chamber pensively. The two Walkers had climbed up for a reason, to find the real Gok. Sure, the weather was worsening and the wolves had been feasting on the bodies for some time now, but even under such unfavorable circumstances, she didn't expect them to resign easily, and she didn't want to risk it - not after they had managed to avoid bloodshed so far.

Elva lowers her voice before continuing.
    "About 100 yards south on the surface, there is a dead body obviously not killed by wolves. And if they find it, I suspect sharing dinner won't be an option for much longer."

21. - Top - End - #171

Daar

Daar moves further down the tunnel, taking in the scene of Kralkaar on the ground, and the rubble, and the hole where she caught the two Walkers climbing through and shook her head, as though trying to piece together what's happened. The confusion still in her eyes, she nods at Elva, "Retribution will probably be swift" she says in a quiet voice, "and if we're here we will almost certainly be caught in the middle of it."

With that, she starts off further down the cave.

Spoiler
    Show

Int check to see if Daar can piece together what's happened (I hope she rolls better than I do): (1d20)[7]
    Move at half speed down the tunnel:
    move silently: (1d20-3)[0]
    listen: (1d20+11)[22]
    spot: (1d20+8)[25]

-Walt Disney

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Kraalkar

Kraalkar nods wearily, his shoulders slumping as the energy of immediate crisis fades. Elva's point is well taken. His ploy has bought them time--best not to waste it. He sheathes his greatsword and moves off after Daar.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[19] Spot check
    (1d20)[14] Listen check
    (1d20+5)[15] Survival check

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The cave is reverberating with sound, obscuring your hushed voices. The sleet pours in through the hole in the ceiling and seems to crash into the floor of the cave. You hear murmurs of Woric speak in the southern part of the cave--a kind of celebratory hooting. And also, under that, perhaps something else.

Spoiler
    Show

DC 15 or above Listen:

Spoiler
    Show
    You hear growls--some humanoid, some animal, in the storm above you. The two males are actively fighting the wolves, from the sound of it.

DC 20 Listen

Spoiler
    Show
    There is a low moaning from the passage Daar and Kraalkar have started down. It's eerie. You can't tell if it's the wind, a voice, or possibly voices.

Daar drops something large and metal. Perhaps it's her blade. You can't tell, as she marches ahead down the passage. The clatter echoes down the corridor and throughout the cave.

24. - Top - End - #174

Arlen

About to suggest to Elva that they move down the other available path, Arlen pauses as he hears the strange moaning sound. "Probably the wind across a hole, but be careful all the same", he says quietly as he falls into line behind Daar and Kraalkar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+13)[26]
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-04-14 at 12:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elva

Elva looks at the others as they walk down the middle tunnel, wondering what made them choose this particular one. "If you don't mind a slight delay" she calls to them, "I'd like to look for tracks at least at the opening of the tunnels."

She crouches down and looks closely at the ground, holding the torch over every bit of rubble that could seem disturbed or any other sign that someone has passed through. Years of scouting have made this a second nature to her, and although she is more used to tracking through a soft forest bed than this hard rock, she is confident enough that experience will help her determine something.

Gray recognizes this familiar posture, and immediately puts her muzzle down and begins sniffing the ground. Elva glances at the dog from time to time. She knows that, during the journey, Gray has registered the caravaners' scents as friendly, and expects her reactions to be telling, should she smell something. Without pausing, she explains her reasoning to the others.

"Three of our people are somewhere down here, and we don't know which way they went. Avoiding more Walkers might be a good idea, too."

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20+8)[12]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[28]
    Survival (track): (1d20+16)[33]
    Gray Aids another (me) with Survival: (1d20+9)[13]

Note: It takes more than one round to cover the openings of all three tunnels (I have to move at half speed), but since we stopped counting rounds I hope it's not a big problem. I'd like to be thorough with it. But if you prefer me to take only actions for one round, Elva searches just the left and middle openings for now.

EDIT- Hey, I totally missed the noise (I actually ROLLED A 4), but if there's something visible or invisible there, I can see it! Tracking wasn't no bad either. :)
    Last edited by Tura; 2008-04-14 at 06:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Arlen:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The moaning sound continues, unabated. The hard stone of the cave reflects every sound, so it's hard to tell your distance from the sound, but you're confident it eminates from this passage.

You can still hear sounds of hooting from near the cave entrance. It's easier to tell where those sounds are coming from because you've been there.

You hear the pad of large, naked feet approaching from the south.

A yip from above seems to indicate a wolf has been injured.

Elva:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you examine the ground closely, you see many Walker tracks, but no human-sized tracks. Rats have been here, gnawing on the Walkers' remains.

North passage (the one Daar entered) A large, heavy object, probably made of rock, was dragged North through the passageway that Daar and the others just entered. It has scraped the floor and walls. This passage rises at a slight angle. Upon close inspection, you find there is something carved into the floor, covered with dust. There is only a faint outline to reveal its presence. When you brush it off, you can see it clearly. It is a rune.

No Walker tracks continue past the corpses in the Western passage (left hand path), but you see many rat footprints leading back and forth over a long period of time. Their spoor is here, as well. The passage doesn't rise or fall. There is a rune here, as well.

The Eastern passage (right hand path) is almost devoid of tracks. The rock is different here--chalky--and alkaline to the taste. A rune appears here, too. Check your gmail for the runes.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-14 at 11:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Daar

With Elva's words, Daar rocks on the balls of her feet and then turns back toward the others. "Many spears make Daar nervous, who knows how many more they are," she says quietly although with some impatience although the last of her thought trails off. "Better to know what's ahead. Plan better than no plan," she agrees. As the others with more experience of caves and the like look for trackes, she keeps her senses alert for any of the other walkers.

Spoiler
    Show
    covering my previous goof. Move back toward the others (H21) and the usual rolls:
    spot (Daar can't track, so she's slipping back into defender mode - looking for possible hostilities: (1d20+8)[20]
    listen: (1d20+11)[23]

-Walt Disney

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tura:

Spoiler
    Show

Pondering the details of your examination, you notice that the configuration of the rats' tracks suggest they are not the blind cave-dwelling variety, but a common rat.

You don't see any tracks larger than centepede and other insect tracks in the eastern tunnel.

The soil in the Eastern tunnel seems as if it has been saturated with a base--such as lye, and allowed to dry.

All:
    One of the male walkers you saw earlier falls through the hole in the ceiling and crashes to the ground. He is bleeding profusely from his arms, legs, and torso.

A dire wolf leaps through the hole after the Walker and lands on his chest. The wolf bites the Walker's throat.

Roll initiative.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-04-15 at 07:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll initiative since I'm online.
    (1d20+6)[15]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

The wolf's teeth are locked on the brute's neck. You are too stunned to move. The wolf shakes its head back and forth. There is a loud popping sound, and the wolf rips the Walker's throat out.