New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Need assistance in making up setting

I know very well that I should make up the various political unit and race before making a map, but I just felt like making the map more than the actual setting itself.

However, without all sort of cities, political units, and geographical names, the map looks kind of blank. The names I made up are incredibly cheesy at times, so yeah.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Need assistance in making up setting

What kind of setting exactly are you planning on?
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

One thing I like to do for making up names and such is to go to a translation website and pick a language, I usually go with Latin, then translate common words into that language and change a few letters around.

For instance, if it's a coastal city, you translate the word boat and get 'navis'. Then I just take that word and make it sound like a city and end up with Naviali, a shipbuilding coastal city. It's an easy procedure and you end up with some fairly realistic names.

Maps are fun.
    "Quiet tales of hamsters are foolish, but a man and his hamster that tear evil limb from limb? That's scary!" - Minsc

My DeviantArt: http://jlechuga.deviantart.com/
    If you like my work, feel free to watch me, favorite, tell your friends, or make a request. It might take me some time, but I'll take a crack at just about anything thrown my way.

If you'd like to use any of my pictures, just a link back to my DA page will work for credit. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually forgot I made a thread.

For the names, I could do that, but it's more of a case that I need more help in setting up a culture for each area, and then putting appropriate names for that area. I mean, putting Latin names in a place dominated by powerful steppe hordes isn't going to work.