New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Game of Nations

2051, January.

The Game of Nations has started...

Regional unrest continues, all regions affected differently.
    ((note your civil score will not help you until the start of the next turn...this is to start of everyone with a bit of spice))

Euronews

In a surprising move Greece's government has announced plans to secede from the EU, claiming it is not comfortable with the mostly catholic and Lutheran tone this government is wielding. It has send envoys to the Ukraine and Russia asking them to support them if there is a need. Turkey might also feel the need to get involved with their neighbor, especially since European Cyprus might follow the Greek lead.

(1 population, 1 economy and 1 resources can potentially be lost by the EU by losing greece and cyprus; not yet, but possible)

Central Asian Pact

Kazachstan and Pakistan announce the 'central asian pact'. This is to ensure peace in that region, minors from all over the region are invited, potentially creating a powerblock that Russia, Iran, India and China will have to deal with.

(no minors have joined yet, but they need to have incentives not to...and incentives don't have to be nice...there are both carrots and sticks)

Armenian Conflict

Armenia and Azerbajan has resumed a long standing dispute over a region, a new government in both countries seeking to deliver a final blow to the other. Russian and Turkish interest are under threat as Kurds in Turkey and minors in Russia might seek to capitalize on this. Iran is also nearby and is likely to have some troubles near the border.

(potentially 1 economic damage and 1 population unhappy for all, which might spread.)

Native American Rights Movement

All over South America native Americans are rising up and claiming more power. Peru, Bolivia and Chili have governments made up mostly of them, the conflict threatens to spread to Brazil and Argentina.

(unrest from revolting population possible)

A central African War

2050 has seen a stop in financial aid to Africa and the ensuing chaos has caused revolts in nearly every Sub Saharan country. A humanitarian crisis of immense scale is unfolding that could spill beyond borders. For now South Africa is most likely to be effected. But the vast resources of Africa could be easily claimed by those willing to deal arms.

(If conflict ensues Economies will be damaged worldwide, due to african resources stopped; however one could capitalise on this new 'regimes' and get some very beneficial arms deals...)

Hispanic Movement

In the USA a large 'Hispanic Movement' arises, claiming more and more rights, for what has become an immense part of the population. Some seek to merge with Mexico whilst the WASP population (white anglo saxon protestants) prefers closer ties with Canada to stave of this threat.

Northern Ireland

Some Irish catholics in northern Ireland, Britain , are detesting the English dominated rule and would like independence. They are actively seeking to undermine the government. The rebels look to Australia for aid, seeing there another nation freed of British post imperialism. In addition they look to Ireland (=EU), especially considering the new 'pro religion' tour the EU is taking.

Taiwan Declares Independence

Finally the government of Taiwan declares independence fully from China. It is looking to Japan and Indonesia for support, as well as the old friendly USA.

(more minorities in china could get funny idea's if this succeeds, yet if Taiwan is invaded by china it could throw the region into economic crisis, even Australia and India could be effected)

((OOC: research area's will follow later. Happy gaming!!!))

((Oh and guys remember don't PM bombard me, put your actions in spoilers. Also to make this easier, all diplomacy done with others in spoilers requires only one espionage roll to cover it up. List the cover up values though. Also remember your budget is open save for a small bit, use a seperate spoiler to place the hidden budget and it's cover value (if you have any). Wealth can be spend directly on research as well (less efficient in the long run, but great for quickly finishing projects), ask if you are wondering about spending in the recruiting thread))
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-09 at 07:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Game of Nations

"Capitalist Economists, outraged by our habit of printing money to pay for government expenditures and careful tending of our entire economy's production, say that our Pesos are not worth very much, and that there are far too many of them. We say the same thing about Capitalist Economists."
    --The Movement press release following the establishment of the CMJS

Confederación Mexicano para Justicio Social

National Legislature Announces the Formation of ALPHA

CMJS diplomats today announced the formation of the Alianza Liberal para la Proteccion del Hemisferio Americana, ALPHA for short. The defensive and trade alliance includes the CMJS, Argentina, Brazil and Canada. Their goals include mutual protection and bootstrapping these four powers into the next century.

CMJS Press Release Regarding Native American Rights Movement

The Movement would like to point out that Democracy is the only vouchsafe to tyranny, and that oppression of any sort of person is inexcusable. We call upon our South American friends to recognize the rights of their own people, and give Native Americans the equal rights that other South Americans have tried so hard for in the past.

However, we would also like to point out that violence is not an acceptable engine of change, and will resoundingly condemn any atrocities by any party.

Re: Hispanic Rights Movement

The USA has a longstanding history of being a paragon of freedom and individual liberty, and we fully expect them to live up to their reputation. Reactionary oppression of a minority over such trivial things as race and ethnicity is, we hope, an artifact from the distant past. It would be awfully hypocritical to deny these citizens their rights.

((These aren't hidden-- they're just spoilered for space reasons.))
    @Central American and Caribbean Minor Powers
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings from the CMJS;
    We see that the world has entered a new stage of turmoil, and wish to let you know that your neighbors are always willing to help. Should you need assistance of any sort, please do not hesitate to call on us. In the spirit of neighborliness, we offer a favorable trade balance; we will reciprocate on your trade goods at a 2:1 ratio as a measure of goodwill, up to 2 units per region.

((In effect, I want to establish a total of 2 points of trade split between the minor of Central America, and another 2 points between the minors in the Caribbean. I ask only 1 point total from each region in return.))

@South Africa
    Spoiler
    Show

Greetings from the CMJS;
    We note that Africa is again on the verge of turmoil, and wish to offer our friendship and our assistance. We have 1 unit of trade left to assign for the next 5 years, and would like to establish a 1:1 trade.

Additionally, we offer our military assistance, should war become inevitable-- we do not want to repeat the last century.

@Wizard

Spoiler
    Show

Are any of the rebel groups/militias/semi-legitimate governments CMJS-leaning in their political ideology? If so, where are they, how strong are they, and do they have at least relatively clean hands?

Trade breakdown for turn 2:
    Spoiler
    Show

Total: 16:14
    Nation: (Giving):(Receiving)
    Brazil: 5:5
    Argentina: 3:3
    Canada: 3:3
    South Africa (pending): 1:1
    Central American Minor Powers (Pending): 2:1
    Caribbean Minor Powers (Pending): 2:1
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-09 at 08:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Federal Republic of Ukraine

Spending Summary
    Wealth: +15 (2+7+6)
    Trade Income: +13 (global free trade)
    Upkeep: -11 (55/5)
    Total: +17

Economy +2 (4 points)
    Air +2 (4 points)
    Army +2 (4 points)
    Tech +1 (2 points)
    Civil +1 (2 points)
    Total: -16

Spending Details
    The government of Ukraine has enacted several policies to stimulate their fragile economy in the wake of recent unrest. In addition to relaxing tariffs and trade restrictions toward other Eastern European nations, the Verkhovna Rada has instituted numerous tax breaks for manufacturers and small businesses, particularly in the Technology and Information sectors. At the same time, government spending has increased, with many public funds going to pay private manufacturers and construction companies to maintain and upgrade Ukraine's flaggind social infrastructure. Finally, several major defense contracts were awarded as Ukraine began a major overhaul of their armed forces. Of note were contracts awarded to replace the nation's arsenal turn-of-the-century T-84 main battle tanks with newer models and to Antonov Inc. to design a new series of jet combat aircraft.

Trade Offer Summary
    Nation (Give:Receive)
    Russia (4:4) Confirmed
    Belarus (1:1) NPC
    Romania (1:1) NPC
    Bulgaria (1:1) NPC
    Balkan Minors (1:1) NPC
    Baltic Minors (1:1) NPC
    Turkey (4:4) Not Confirmed

Trade Offer Detail

As a prelude to the Eastern Europe Trade Agreement (see News and Diplomacy, below), Ukraine has opened up significant trade with various minor powers, primarily exporting food and automotives for cash. In addition, Ukrained maintains strong trade relations with Federation Inc., exchanging food and nuclear fuel for high-tech goods and increasingly expensive petroleum products. An offer is also on the table with Turkey for major cross-Black Sea trade, but it has not been confirmed yet.

News and Diplomacy

@Wizard

The Economist: The big news today in Eastern Europe was Ukrainian PM Vasyl Dzubenko's public announcement of the Eastern Europe Trade Agreement (EETA), a proposition put forward by Ukraine's government for a trade organization to encompass many of the non-European Union nations in Eastern Europe. The proposed charter, to be agreed upon by member nations, extends invitations to all former Yugoslavian nations, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria, Belarus, and Moldova. Dzubenko added that Greece would also be considered for membership if it had grown dissatisfied with the EU's economic governance. The agreement would serve a similar purpose to NAFTA or ASEAN, establishing fair trade and economic benefits between member nations, rather than the economic standards of an organization like the European Economic Community, which later became today's EU. It would also include provisions for special trade benefits to nearby major powers such as Russia and Turkey. "It is in these troubled times that the peoples of Eastern Europe should band together," said Dzubenko. "Lest our homes once again fall into chaos or the predations of opportunists."

AP: Ukraine speaks out in support of Greek Independence. The Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada voted today 142 votes to 8 to diplomatically support the nation of Greece's secession from the European Union.

@Everyone

The Ukrainian delegate to the United Nations has urged the Security Council to immediately enact widespread and committed peacekeeping efforts in Central Africa, lest the conflict spread.

@Turkey and Russia

AP: In response to the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan, Ukraine has come forward to offer its CIS allies any needed military aid in resolving the conflict between the two minor nations.

@Turkey

OOC: Please confirm or reject the 4:4 trade. Thanks a lot, sorry to nag, necessary for planning, etc.

(More diplomacy will follow in response to others)
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-09 at 09:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OOC: Placeholder for a detailed post coming tomorrow when I am not falling asleep at the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

@Wizard re: native crisis (not secret, spoilered for space considerations)
    Spoiler
    Show

What exactly is going on with the native American problem? Are the natives in Argentina clamoring for more power? Are you implying that I don't take good care of my native population?

Are the natives in Chile, Bolivia, and Peru clamoring for more power? Are those governments oppressing their native populations?

Either way, are there any outspoken leaders of these movements? Have they stated any aims?

@Wizard (sort of secret)
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd like to set up pro-Argentine communist revolutionary movements in Chile, Peru, and Bolivia. What would that take in terms of numbers? I just want to lay the groundwork right now, not to arm them or anything. Mostly I'll be distributing informational literature *cough* Propaganda *cough* and politicizing the population. I figure I can send a few points of spy in to establish them. Can I use, say, 3 points of spy and reasonably expect it to work? Making it work would be my primary objective - covering it up would be secondary since they wouldn't actually be doing anything illegal.

Also, are there any populations in Central/Southern Africa that might welcome my help in staging a Marxist revolution to secure their country from the ravages of war sweeping the continent? I'd be willing to commit some troops to make this happen. What sort of military force would serve to secure a relatively small African nation? How about something like Namibia? I read that Namibia currently has unemployment in the 30-40% range and a very small military - sounds like the sort of place that might suffer heavily from foreign aid being cut off. Maybe Angola? Tanzania?

I would of course undertake this mission with the humanitarian interests of the people at heart, and I'd make my best honest effort to establish a stable and prosperous government there. I'd also only do it if I knew I could count on the (at least initial) support of at least a majority of the people. Please consider my agents dispatched to the region pronto to investigate the possibility of this plan, and to spread the gospel of Marxism (edit: these 'ambassadors' will also bring food and medicine as signs of goodwill).

La Unión de Comunas Argentinas (The Union of Argentine Communes)

National Congress Approves Executive Council Decision to Join ALPHA

The UCA joins Mexico in officially declaring its membership in the economic and defensive pact ALPHA. We hope that by forging close bonds with our neighbors we may save the Americas from the fires of war.

UCA Opens Borders to Uruguay, Paraguay

In an effort to improve relations with our Guayer neighbors, we are offering them each 1:1 trade deals.

[More to come later when I have a better understanding of the conflicts going on]
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2008-03-09 at 11:14 PM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Australia has made a formal proposal to New Zealand to join it and form one nation.

Prime Minister Robert Daniels reminds the people of New Zealand that Australia has been their nation's greatest supporter both in terms of economy and defense. He also mentions how the USA decided to stop protecting New Zealand under the ANZUS security treaty because it would not allow nuclear powered or armed ships to settle in its harbors but Australia continued to protect it. Australia respects New Zealand's dedication to upholding a nuclear free policy and ensures it will be protected as Australia feels the same way. In fact, Australia has decided to become an official nuclear free country and strongly opposes ever changing this stance. Instead of using nuclear power it will conduct research into the use of hydroelectric and wind energy.

Robert promises that New Zealand will be treated with the same respect all states of Australia currently receive and will do everything in his power to help it achieve greater prosperity. Although some may feel offended by what Robert has next proposed he says it is not meant to be derogatory. He has asked that New Zealand become known officially as New Australia purely as a sign of unity among peoples.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-03-09 at 11:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    Cover 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    ~~from the depths of the Hungarian plains...

from submarines surfacing in the Eastern Mediterranean and Baltic Sea~~

... from the manifold airfields and missile silos of the European Union, from the Strategic Bombers on patrol over Continental Europe...

under the deep blue sea submarines rose to attack level
    Carriers came to a full alert as the most recent-generation fighters, the Continental Striker developed by Germany, Italy and France, the Schwarze Bombardier, The Griffin Blue of the proud and independent Swedish models...
    ... artillery pounded out into the night already at the moment the announcement had come on television, the first wave of attacks were already en route against the military of Ukraine and the Headquarters of the the junta of the Ukrainian flats...
    Rebels deserve a declaration, but they do not deserve to be alerted of a surprise in store for them.

the tactical nukes detonated where they passed through what naval barrier fire could be assembled against the hyperspeed missiles, the short-range ballistic missiles went off on airburst at higher altitudes... targeting airbases and ports and army concentrations as tertiary targets...

This was an all-out assault, even ICBMs were put to use. Only the russian (as in Ukrainian) rebel population would be spared the wrath of the EU... the military would be subject to everything that did not destroy cities and towns (unless they're really bunched up, a few tactical nukes would only do superficial damage to a township while destroying a military base completely)... as long as the military cowardly stayed in their cities they would only be subject to 50-100 ton TNT cruise missiles and SRBMs...

The army took no action however, other than liberally testing half combined artillery of the EU to see if the barrels really could withstand such temperatures as the producers claimed and fortifying the border to Ukraine and setting up missile defenses along the border and all across the EU... The electromagnetic railguns invented for battleships by the US and EU in the early years of the new millenium had been carefully deployed across the EUs eastern borders and on ships, blasting merrily away with their thousands of kilometers of range...

News blackouts hit frequently across the Ukraine, giving the EU hours or days as their satellites and most powerful radio stations jammed signals... EMP missiles were fired off across the most sensitive areas of Ukrainian military and news agencies... if it could be shut down the EU took pride in doing so to confuse and bewilder all who lived there.

Cover 5 (same thing), not story, but Orders (separated for ease)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's start with the nuke attack.

When the reports that the Ukrainian rebels had broken the truce with their diplomatic intentions and statement and the EUs response to it came in the EU calmly stated that it would never, and could never accept such blatant attempts to decapitate the EUs body without asking the EU if it is ok first.
    Moeris Villera told the world that it was her sincere belief that the EU is not a warmonger, but will not tolerate obvious attempts to partition the organization.
    "I ask for the world's support in crushing the Ukrainian aggressor. As you can see we are a peaceful nation and seek only peaceful resolutions and respect the territorial integrity of Britain. As for Greece we are intent that they allow us a chance to prove our good intentions first. The action taken against Ukraine today is a guarantor for every great nation that partitioning their territory is not acceptable. The US would never let its Hispanic states go. Would Canada accept Quebec's independence? Would China allow its manifold regions to secede? Would Japan allow Hokkaido to just leave? Would Australia let Tasmania and its interior become Aboriginee states? Would Brazil let the Indians leave? What of Argentina? Would it accept the secessionists among its Indians? India? What of your muslim and Buddhist and Christian minorities? Pakistan? Do you not remember the pain of losing Bangladesh? Does not Britain enjoy my respect for the Union of their four island nations? Does Mexico wish to give up the Yucatan? Does Turkey want to secede its east to Armenians and its west to Bulgarians? What of Iraq and Iran with its Shia and Sunni minorities? Or Indonesia and its Christians and Buddhists and Hindus? Shall we all become a thousand tiny states because juntas like the one in the Ukrainian flats wishes to conquer and divide?

The EU is not even as defensive as that. All we wish is the chance to prove to Greece that we love them as they are part of us.

It is time to return the Ukrainian flats to a sane nation.
    It is time to support the use of the EUs air force, navy and cruise missiles and non-radioactive tactical low-yield nukes only slightly more powerful than the high-yield cruise missiles in the battle against rebel forces.

I call upon Russia, I call upon Turkey, I call upon Ukraine's neighbors to understand. I call upon the west and the east and the south and the southwest and the southeast to join us in this battle against evil intentions.

I do not even wish for this territory myself. May Romania or Belarus or Poland (yes an EU state) or Russia or Turkey rule it. But as an EU promise I seal my word that Ukraine will not become part of the EU. My interest is purely defensive.

And while the EUs ambitions are few and modest other than our interest in space I warn you. This is how we deal with foreign interference. If you wish to support an independence movements, ask for permission, as we have asked Britain for permission to encourage a referendum and Catholic voters to participate."
    You did wrong.

To cover something up you need to invest Espionage points and assign primary/secondary/tertiary, roll the action dice and see what comes out. Also you cannot cover up a nuclear strike.

I assume you want a maxed strength action (primary), some cover up (secondary). I'll railroad you here as an example (note that improperly written order, and those without action points will be ignored in the future.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Moechi_Vill View Post
    OK, I think I got it this time:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74665
    I don't understand these rules yet, so I'll just roll my dice and stay out of CO-GMing for faraway interest until I've got a better hold of them.

Nuclear Strike 1: Rolled 6 against Ukrainian army.
    Nuclear Strike 2: Rolled 3 against Ukrainian air force.
    Nuclear Strike 3: Rolled 4 against against Ukrainian army, rolled 4 against Ukrainian air force.

Follow-up strike concentrating on hitting their ports and ships in the open for the naval offense and airbases for air superiority mission (that's the strategy):
    PS. I'm not sure if Ukraine still HAS any army or air left, depending on whether the rules directly transfer the 4d6 I rolled as damage or whether there is some calculation that divide or subtract from the damage?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74665
    (A dice thread I started.)

Rolled 33 for naval offense mission with 9 navy.

Rolled 29 for air superiority mission with 10 air.

There's also 4 armies across the border, shelling Ukraine with artillery and fortifying defensively, but I don't think they get any action dice.
    Nope, you didn't get it right.

You need to compare each d6's results to the table of action points.

roll 1 on d6 = 1 primary
    roll 2 on d6 = 1 primary
    roll 3 on d6 = 2 primary
    roll 4 on d6 = 2 primary + 1 Secondary
    roll 5 on d6 = 2 primary + 1 Secondary
    roll 6 on d6 = 3 primary + 2 Secondary + 1 Tertiary

Using 9 navy and 10 Air an olling this:

military Spearhead: airforce 10 prime: Air strength second: Air Defence Tertiary: Naval bombing Navy 9 prime: Naval strength second: Naval Defence Tertiary: Naval bombing (1d6=1, 1d6=3, 1d6=5, 1d6=3, 1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=1, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=2)

Air: 1,3,5,3,2,2,1,1,6,4
    Navy:4,3,4,2,2,6,2,4,2
    Referencing the tableyou get

Air: 16 Prime (air strength)/ 4 Secondary (air defence)/ 1 Tertiary (navy attack)
    Navy: 15 Prime (navy strength)/ 6 Secondary (navy defence)/ 1 Tertiary (air attack)

Nukes are thus as follows:

Army nuke: (rolled a 6) 3 Prime/ 2 Second / 1 Tertiary
    Air force nuke: (rolled a 3) 2 Prime
    Army nuke: (rolled a 4) 2 Prime/ 1 second

------------------------
    GM:

Sirens roar across the Ukraine as the entire EU nuclear arsenal is unloaded onto their territory.

Ukraine takes damage:
    5 Army lost
    2 Air lost
    3 Economy lost (2nd)
    1 Population lost (3rd)

Nuclear dust clouds appear and fallout spreads...threatening to cover EUROPE, TURKEY and EUROPEAN RUSSIA.

Radar systems all over the region detect EU ships and aircraft streaming towards the Ukraine.

All minors in the Balkan strongly condemn the EU for the use of Nuclear weapons. Greece and Cyprus Secede from the EU. Greek ships in the fleet leave EU as does their army (-1 navy, -1 army). The balkan nations are mobilizing their forces near the EU border.

(more to come)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

The Crowned Republic of South Africa

+Incoming/Outgoing Summary
    Wealth: +13 (1+6+6)
    Trade Income: +10
    Upkeep: -11 (55/5)

Total: +12

+Spending Summary
    Economy +2 (6 points) [revised for global economic slowdown]
    Technology +2 (4 points)
    Space +1 (2 points)

Total: -12

+Spending Details

The South African government has been flexing its muscles, estimated economic expansion over the next five years is (50%), certainly a boom growth level for these depleted times. Government and private/public partnership projects to integrate the highest level of technology coming out of leading universities at home and abroad into the citizens lives are underway in several fields particularly healthcare and education, it is hoped that as a century ago labour saving devices improved the quality of life for millions the same will be true in this day and age. The Crown Republic Space Agency (CRSA) has also been expanded, a small but significant portion of the budget allocated in perpetuity to a project which the press have lambasted but the nation loves, 'One day the lights twinkling above us will be our own'.

+Trade Offer Summary

Swaziland 1:1
    Lesotho 1:1
    Namibia 1:1
    Zimbabwe 2:2
    Mozambique 2:2
    Britain 2:2
    Mexico 1:1
    Ukraine 2:0

+Trade Offer Detail

Economist: South African trade has expanded in the last year, ttempting to stave off the crisis in central africa from reaching them, South africa has been desperately attempting to prop up the economies of many of its neighboring nations with mutually lucrative trade deals, they have also entered into a minor trade compact with CMJS, recognising their mutual goals of brining peace to troubled formerly exploited regions.

EDIT: In the wake of the nuclear assault on the Ukraine the South African government announced a large economic stimulus and humanitarian aid program for the nation and region.

+News and Diplomacy

Reuters: The South African representative on the Security Council has called an emergency meeting tabling a motion calling for a halt in the violence in Eastern Europe and for both sides to stand down their weapons to allow for a UN 'clean-up' and monitoring mission; UNSEMIEE (United Nations Security and Environmental Mission in Eastern Europe) whilst a diplomatic solution is sought.

AFP: The South African government today made appeals to the Commonwealth and the African Union to help bring peace to Africa by restoring financial aid and humanitarian projects. South Africa warned of growing extremism and unrest threatening both themselves and the global community if the situation persisted.

BBCworld: The Crowned Republic of South Africa said today in a statement that "Whilst the marginalised parties in Northern Ireland have legitimate grievances the way to air them is not through violence and terrorism, we support both the territorial integrity of the United Kingdom and the right to self determination of the Northern Irish people." Asked if he would support of referendum on the Northern Irish question South Africa's Ambassador to the UK, Dr. Nkosazana said that that was a purely a matter to be left up to the British government but that it seemed a sensible way to measure the popular feeling which in the past has always favoured Northern Ireland remaining part of the United Kingdom.
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-03-15 at 03:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

((I know Chernobyl differs from Hiroshima, but you just unloaded the entire EU arsenal... Think Hiroshima x approximately 500...and your risking a world war))

Trade with European minors to EU is stopped. EU loses 5 trade. (you had 7 unassigned trade last I checked)

Many Foreigners dead

Due to EETA trade talks any foreign diplomats have been killed in the Nuclear bombardment of the Ukraine. In addition virtually every mayor and medium power on the globe has suffered civilian casualties within the Ukraine, consulates have been wiped of the map, tourists were killed and lots more now face the problem that they cannot leave the ruined country.

Papacy is remarkably quiet.

Despite condemnations from almost all Orthodox, Anglican and numerous catholic bishops in the America's the Pope is rather quiet on the EUs actions. It is likely that if he doesn't act fast it could cause a schism within the Catholic Church.

Worldwide condemnation

Following the Balkan minors the EUs usage of nuclear weapons is widely condemned. The massive deaths of foreigners due to the immense bombardment without forewarning has rioters taking to the streets in nearly every country. Most minors are as such strongly condemning the EUs actions, but few would dare act without a power to rally behind.

@everyone but not EU
    Spoiler
    Show

Kenya tells the security council members they would be willing to support sanctions on the EU.

Central Asian Pact (CAP)

Kazachstan and Pakistan strongly condemn the EU actions, they warn that any such action against them would result in an immediate retaliation.

@Australia and New Zealand

The prime minister of New Zealand feels that their independence serves them well. Likewise the population laughs of the Australian proposal. Clearly some leverage (money, invasion, etc...) is needed to make them see your side of the argument. Still they are willing to talk on defensive co-operation and opening trade for now. (make them a good offer to increase relations)

@Mexico

Spoiler
    Show
    Use some espionage to find out about the rebel groups. There are many, but contact is difficult (espionage, strength 1 to succeed).

Your trade deals with minors are accepted. They are happy with the generous trade balance and lack of tarifs.

@Ukraine

The EETA proposal was welcomed by the minors, but the nuclear strike by the EU has managed to kill quite a few of the officials involved in the process. Diplomats from nearly all the invited minors have been killed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomatic intercepts state outrage at the EUs actions, most nations are mobilizing forces and will commit to defend Ukraine from further attack if need be. They fear they could be next. Still the EU is a potent force and securing help from another medium or mayor power would perhaps push them over the line of actually joining the fight directly.

@Argentina

The issue is one of social classes mostly, it seems the Native Americans feel the wealth is unjustly distributed and they still resent the Spanish populations that are in power. ((your government too is backed by the Spanish portions).

Spoiler
    Show
    The revolutions would require a combination of weapons and/or money to succeed. You can secret these to the right rebel groups once you find them (espionage, strength 1 to succeed) and secretly give them to them (espionage, strength equal to money and weapons provided to succeed)

@EU

Spoiler
    Show
    There are many christian nations in africa, if you want to send them weapons they will give 3 wealth for every 1 points of air/navy or military send to them. This is essentially blood money you are given by 'rebels' with no more legitimacy then the range of their guns. The 'real' governments will trade only 2 wealth for 1 point of military (essentially making it cost neutral). In either case you'd likely cause the violence to spread, but if given to Christian groups the cross will be spread by fire...
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-10 at 08:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Pakistan Orders
    Spoiler
    Show
    Send 6 armies and 4 air to the EU by airlifts and ships to help protect their lands in return for technology aid and 5 space assets.

Pay upkeep and trade with minors across the world for 8 and spend it on 4 armies.
    Last edited by Excelsior; 2008-03-10 at 08:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Pakistan Orders
    Spoiler
    Show
    Send eight armies to the EU by airlifts and ships to help protect their lands in return for technology aid and 5 space assets.
    ((you might first want to say hello in the recruiting thread...and get a reply there))

Also...
    Spoiler
    Show
    also you might want to contact the EU player about such a deal. A PM or a spoiler ed post addressing him would be nice.

Space assets and technology are non transferable, they are launch installations and the amount of computers on people's desks and such. You might be able to get wealth from them or have them perform launches on your behalf or otherwise ask them to give you all their research data they accumulate
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-10 at 08:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The Federal Republic of Ukraine declares war on the European Union! Obviously!

Meanwhile, in a speech to the United Nations, Ukraine's delegate delivers an impassioned speech condemning the European Union's unprovoked, full-scale nuclear assault on his homeland over what he termed "a minor diplomatic disagreement." Excerpts follow:

"This is completely insane!" exclaimed the delegate at one point. "Our nation may never recover from this cowardly assault. We call upon the UN to immediately remove the EU from the Security Council, and for all freedom-loving nations of the world to condemn them, and join our fight against this obvious prelude to invasion..."

"...This sort of attack is unprecedented in the history of the world, even among the most insane dictatorships! Their careless use of nuclear weapons has not only killed hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian civilians, but the fallout from the attack threatens the entire western world! All this because Ukraine dared speak out in favor of an independence movement!"

At one point, the delegate even broke down in tears, revealing that he hadn't spoken to his wife or children since the attacks and, in the confusion, didn't yet know whether they were alive or dead.

The Federal Republic's surviving military forces are currently mostly occupied with controlling the panicking population and helping to herd civilians away from the fallout zones. Military action will follow in my next post.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-10 at 08:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Indonesia

News Broadcast: Cold Feet for Indonesia?

Indonesian leaders are yet to reveal their stance considering Taiwan's newly proposed independent state.

Atom war in Europe!!

The actions of Europe against Ukraine have been condemned by Indonesian authorities. Indonesia asks for a damage budget from both Europe and Ukraine. Indonesia urges the Security Council to override Europe's veto and act on the matter.

The Speaker for Indonesia, Authorities representative:

"Have we ever resorted to the use of nuclear weapons since World War II? During the Cold War, Russia and the USA were sensible enough to avoid it. It seems that Europe has decided to forget about tradition and past deals, and exercises its nuclear power on lesser nations.

After the development of the atom bomb, there was a general consensus that prevented anyone from using it. That the atom was a dissuasive element rather than a weapon in itself after we saw the damage caused on both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We have seen the horrors of a nuclear Holocaust on the civilian population when Tchernobyl put Europe under its cloud of radiation.

It seems the incidents aren't enough to deter the senseless European government. Years later, when its own historians condems the acts, it uses the atom against secessionists. Diplomats killed, thousands of innocent civilians, butchered in the blast. Thousands more will die from the radiation. Europe itself will suffer from it.

Indonesia has lost a number of tourists in Ukraine. We will do everything in our power that no such atrocity will ever occur again. This is a promise. A promise to the people that are rioting in the streets. This will not go unchecked."

Indonesia has then sent propositions of sanctions to the UN council: Among the sanctions include the complete dismantlement of all the EU nuclear arsenal.

Japan, GM

Spoiler
    Show
    Indonesia would like to trade with Japan for 5 points worth. If Japan has less than the current ratio, Indonesia is willing to consider military options, or/and financial/political agreements. It would like to discuss sanctions for the EU.

Australia, GM

Spoiler
    Show
    Indonesia is trading 5 points worth with Australia. (5/5 ratio, right?) It would also additionally like to discuss sanctions for the EU.

China, GM

Spoiler
    Show
    Indonesia would be interested in trading 5 points worth in a 5/5 ratio with China. It would also like to discuss sanctions for the preposterous EU usage of Nuclear Weapons. It would also be glad to seal a deal for a bigger return ratio, in return for which they would provide support, against the independence of Taiwan.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-10 at 09:00 AM.
    A Revenant

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Voting to recognize a nation's sovereignty is not an act of war, you lunatic!"
    -Vasyl Dzubenko, Prime Minister of Ukraine, from an Undisclosed Location.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

((quick primer on the UN: The UN is the collective vote of all member states (doesn't have powers of it's own), only combined action in the Security Council and General Assembly could lead to the EU losing their French permanent eat. And remember that they can veto it... Of course if all except the EU decide the EU has crossed the line too far, then of course it's easy for them all to leave and set up a new united nations without France in the security council. Whilst technically not legal it is an option. Still a vote in the General Assembly might be able to over-rule the security council on certain issues, such as membership...if somehow successful. (officially it cannot, but in the past it has succeeded once or twice) ))

@Indonesia: The EU has just dismantled it's own nuclear arsenal...even if be it by dropping it on Ukraine. (just a minor note I found amusing)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-10 at 09:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

@Russia, Britain, USA, Canada, Turkey, all European Minor Powers and, why the hell not, Switzerland
    Spoiler
    Show
    The leadership of the European Union has clearly gone mad, as their nuclear attack on our homeland shows. I know that some, perhaps all, of you have formed an alliance with them for mutual defense. Nonetheless, this craven assault cannot stand and I implore you, if you have any remaining sense of decency or liberty, to join me in paying them back for this atrocity.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-10 at 09:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Indonesia

Here follows a short summary from Indonesian authorities:

Proposed EU Sanctions include:

1. Trade Blockade.

2. Dismantlement of Nuclear Launch Sites.
    3. Dismantlement of Nuclear Nukes production Lines.
    4. Expatriation of a number of European Nuclear physicists.

5. Security Council veto revoked.
    6. UN approval of Greek Independence.
    7. UN forces intervention in Ukraine.
    A Revenant

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

In my earlier post, I forgot to report Ukraine's pleas for civilian aid in getting food, water, and basic services for its scores of thousands of displaced civilians. Which is rather important, so I should mention it now.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

AP, Cape Town, South Africa: South Africa today joined the vanguard of the international community by recognising both the newly formed Greek and Taiwanese governments. Her Majesty Queen Diana accredited ambassadors to both the new nations. The South African Foreign office has dispatched one of the nation's top environmentalists Dr. J. Matimba to Athens whilst a career diplomat Ms. W. Nhlapo has been moved from ambassador to Thailand to Taiwan to be replaced in Bangkok by a promotion from within the Embassy there.

South Africa's ambassador to the European Union has been recalled "in protest against the unprovoked, unnecessary, reckless and UN-mandateless use of WMD against the Ukraine without even an attempt at a Diplomatic solution," whilst the Ambassador to China is reported as having called for a highest-level meeting with the Chinese government to reassure them that recognition of Taiwan does not constitute an assault on China's territorial integrity. Prince George has returned to Cape Town with his children, his wife, the crown Princess of Sweden is reportedly remaining in Stockholm.

Reuters, Praetoria, South Africa: The South African Army today raised their alert level to prepare for an immediate deployment whilst the SARAF (South African Royal Air Force) and SARN (South African Royal Navy) have been engaging in maneuvers over international waters in the neighborhood of those countries most affected by the current level of unrest in Central Africa. SAMC3 (South Africa Military Command, Communication and Co-ordination) stated that these were routine manoevers designed to keep the Crowned Republic's armed forces in condition to support the legitimate governments to which South Africa and the International Community have committed their support.

Channel Africa, Praetoria, South Africa: The South African President today announced that the Chinese trade mission in progress had been cancelled to provide economic aid to the devastated Ukraine. SARAF pilots will be co-ordinating with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent to provide unarmed humanitarian aid whilst economic reconstruction packages are being assembled even now.

[ooc: spoilers for space purposes]

@China
    Spoiler
    Show

We don't seek to assault your sovereignty at all, merely recognise an established fact of a century of self-determination in line with the UN charter. Our trade cancellation is a humanitarian effort and we would be eager to trade further with you in the near future.

@EU
    Spoiler
    Show

We are withdrawing our ambassador to the Union in protest for your unprovoked Nuclear attack on the Ukraine.

@Ukraine
    Spoiler
    Show

A 2:0 trade deal from my spares is going to you now.

@ South and South-Central African Minors
    Spoiler
    Show

Any and all support, diplomatic, economic and military is available to those who request it of us, South Africa is committed to supporting your governments and people and protecting our investments in a more prosperous and peaceful Africa.

@GM
    Spoiler
    Show

Providing 2 Trade to the Ukraine for free from the last of my two spares.
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-03-10 at 09:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Allah Akhbar! God is great! Death to the Infidels! Now that you have depleted your weapons of doom Pakistan will weigh in! Europe shall be cleansed of all evil and Islam shall reach across the Danube and Seinen again! You will choke on radioactive dust as we, the unconquerable whom you have stepped on from the age of Isaac, rise in finality!

Allah will destroy them all in one night! Strike as you may, your efforts are futile. The people of Ishmael will grasp their inheritance!

You foolish people who believe in three gods, you will fall!
    You godless unbelievers, you filthy semites! You shall all fall!
    Though you may destroy one nation in response, many more shall rise up against your cowardice!

Tonight, ARMAGEDDON dines with Sem and Jafet!

NUCLEAR ATTACK

Ukraine, Target: Population
    4: 2 Primary effect, 1 Seconday
    1: 1 Primary effect
    = 3 Primary effect, 1 Secondary

Bulgaria, Target: Population
    3: 2 Primary effect
    = 2 Primary effect

Romania, Target: Population
    4: 2 Primary effect, 1 Secondary
    = 2 Primary effect, 1 Secondary

Greece, Target: Population
    1: 1 Primary Effect
    = 1 Primary Effect

Israel, Target: Population
    6: 3 Primary, 2 Secondary, 1 Tertiary
    5: 2 Primary, 1 Secondary
    = 5 Primary, 3 Secondary, 1 Tertiary

East Timor, Target: Population
    5: 2 Primary, 1 Secondary
    = 2 Primary, 1 Secondary

22. - Top - End - #22

We the South African Government beg the Pakistani authorities to reconsider their actions and delay this announced Nuclear strike.

Please for the sake of all of us, restrain your wrath.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Japan budget for the new government period: A strong Nation has a strong Economy!

12 Economy
    4 Tech
    2 Civil
    2 Space
    2 Spy

The Parliament announced today an entire host of new measures to improve the growth of the Japanese Economy, which had suffered from low growth rates in the last few years.
    -Japanese companies will no longer have to pay custom duties and taxes on any imports or exports. These will also be significantly reduced for foreign enterprises.
    -New-founded companies with new and original business ideas will have the option to aqcuire interest free loans with a duration of three years, when they are able to present their idea to a council of experts.
    -Investors investing in the japanese industry or banks will profit from especially low property taxes during this five year period.

To handle this additional administration efforts, the government will be slowly expanded and restructurated, to make it both larger and more efficient.

Trade
    Indonesia 5-5
    Argentina 3-3
    Brazil 5-5
    South-east asian minors (those mentioned in the OOC): 4-4

The Taiwan issue
    A speaker of the parliament announced that while Japan wishes to support the Taiwanese people if they desire independence, the government would also like to state that they would prefer a peaceful solution and would not be in the position to interfere with it's military if the conflict should escalate.
    Japan offers it's services as a mediator, should one be needed.

Public Outrage over nuclear bombardment
    Hundreds of thousands of angry protesters filled Japans streets today, waving transparents reading "REMEMBER HIROSHIMA!" and "NEVER AGAIN!".
    The Shogun personally annouced that he condemns the unprovoked European nuclear strike against it's weaker neighbour.
    "We will make sure that Europe will never trade with Japan again.", Tokugawa said with a grim expression.
    "This is a crime that can never be undone."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

So, uh, am I out of the game for 0 population? Have the EU and their Pakistani hirelings succeeded where Nazi death camps and Soviet cultural pogroms failed? Tune in next GM post, I guess...
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-10 at 09:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Income:

25 Income from Wealth
    6 Trade income
    23 upkeep(115/5)

Spending:
    Civil: 2 points
    Economy: 2 points
    Tech: 2 points
    (2 points unspent for now)

---------------------

Attention Everyone: U.S. seeks trade

The United States is looking to expand its trade networks with the nations of the world. We are looking to establish close ties with more nations of the world to our mutual beneficial.

@GM:The United States is also going to promote trade with NPC nations.

Response to Hispanic Movement:
    The United States has activated the National Guard in the southern border states to police these protests and protect them from escalating. Guard units are also being placed along the Mexican border to prevent illegal border crossings.

Attention Canada:

The United States is very interested in establishing stronger relations with our culturally similar neighbor to the north.
    Last edited by LongVin; 2008-03-11 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

26. - Top - End - #26

@ Pakistan

Several seconds after the Pakistani president/caliph/sultan/whateverheiscalledin2050 orders the nuclear strike he hears a gunshot and it feels warm. The general that just shot him holsters his pistol and takes his seat. His first act as the new dictator general of Pakistan will be to undo the orders of the last president. Fortunatly the Pakistani army is very loyal to it's commanders and all the orders are reverted.

A broadcast to the world:

"Dear leaders of the world,

My predecessor had a bout of insanity when he was willing to destroy Allah's creation. Certainly no true follower of Islam would ever consider such an act. As such Pakistan will join the ranks of the peacefull and continue it's co-operation with central asian nations to ensure such things do not happen to us."

((OOC: Excelsior you have been eliminated... No Pakistani nukes ever went off, no holdings were transferred.))

((OOC: to others, I'm sorry, but I am not going to allow random people jumping in just to nuke everything...the actions of Pakistan were just too random and as such warranted a random response.))
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-10 at 11:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"The EU officially apologizes for the civilian casualties in Ukraine. While it is too late to withdraw our naval troops and aircraft from their operations, we will conclude a withdrawal to our bases after this set of operations and hope for the arrival of peacekeepers."

OOC: I didn't mean to apologize for attacking you Nerd-O-Rama, just for ruining your fun and being a bit paranoid. ;) I regret nothing! That said, I IC hope to not fight any longer. Good luck rebuilding and having your revenge.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Federal Republic of Ukraine

Revised Statline (Turn 1)

Army 2/Navy 5/Air 5/Space 3/Population 1/Economy 4/Resources 6/Spy 4/Tech 7/Civil 7/Nuclear 0/Defenses 0
    Total 44/Wealth 11/Power 16/Social 17

Revised Spending Summary (Turn 1)

Wealth: +11 (1+4+6)
    Trade Income: +11 (Global Free Trade for first turn)
    Upkeep: -8 (44/5)
    Total: +14

Army: +3 (6 points)
    Air: +2 (4 points)
    Population: +1 (2 points)
    Economy: +1 (2 points)
    Total: -14

Revised Spending Details (Turn 1)

In the wake of the nuclear strike by the European Union, the Federal Republic of Ukraine has instituted martial law and a compulsory draft among citizens still fit to fight. In addition, the nation's defense production was left largely untouched, so new T-86 Main Battle Tanks and AN-64 fighter/bombers continue to roll off assembly lines as the nation gears up for retaliation.

Due to rapid implementation of martial law, the government has evacuated most of the populace from fallout zones and implemented a food rationing system that has proven effective for the moment. An outpouring of charity aid and the fact that the manufacturing industry stayed mostly intact has also helped stave off the worst effects on the national economy.

Updated Trade Agreements (Turn 1)

Russia (4:4) Confirmed
    Belarus (1:1) NPC
    Romania (1:1) NPC
    Bulgaria (1:1) NPC
    Balkan Minors (1:1) NPC
    Baltic Minors (1:1) NPC
    Turkey (4:4) Confirmed
    South Africa (0:2) Confirmed (Humanitarian Aid)
    Switzerland (0:1) Confirmed (Humanitarian Aid)

EDIT: See later post.

Military action declarations pending...don't move on without them.

GM Eyes Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using 4 points of Espionage to provoke a diplomatic incident between the EU and Russia...say, sabotaging an EU radar station so that an EU bomber with a nuclear payload violates Kaliningrad airspace.

Primary: Cover-Up
    Secondary: Strength of Action
    Tertiary: Extra benefits.

[rollv=Action Dice]4d6[/roll]
    EDIT: Forgot the stupid freaking cannot enter rolls in edits rule. Here are my rolls in the dice thread.

9 Primary
    4 Secondary
    1 Tertiary
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-11 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Russia, Inc.

To the eyes of mr. President, only:

Report of All-Russian Trade Commitee:

Trade:

Canada: 7
    EU: 9
    Turkey: 5
    Britain: 5
    Ukraine: 4

Total: 30

[Note to Chairwoman: Fire that idiot that approved that. Now!]

Report of Ministry of Finance Spokesman:

After upkeep: 12 wealth.

So, 42 [30+12] points spent on:
    Spoiler
    Show
    15 economy, 3 nuclear, 2 tech and 1 civil.

That is, we will finally replace the rest of out obsolete infrastructure, such as the Transsiberian railroad being upgraded to maglev train, which shold reduce travelling time from two weeks to two day, infinitely increasing its economical attractiveness and significance, especially considering high-tech exports from Japan and China, that will be transported almost as fast as on the plane, for fraction of the cost; new electric, domestically produced cars being subsidied; or free, high-speed holonet wireless transmitters being installed in every mayor city, replacing the old soviet-style copper cables as means of communication; Investments will also be made in our high-tech sector, both nuclear and rocketry ones, which will allow them to fund new research projects, and a major overhaul of police forces will began.

[Note to self: our market and economical shares aren't going up fast enough. Maybe I should ask GRU to make a little crisis to slow our opponents down? Also: sell that Dacha (Villa) in Yalta. Nobody will want it, though.]

Special International Affairs Committee:

We are in a deep **** right now.

[Really, Einsteins?]

Report of current diplomatic operations [our stances]:

Armenian Conflict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will do everything to stop that conflict, but as we are busy right now, we will give you a chance to close the matters peacifully. Turn down that offer, and we WILL intervene, as soon as the matter on the west is dealt with.

CAP:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to do that, join EAST. Russia will not tolerate any potential antagonist on her borders. We reserve right to act according to how severe threat from you will be; and to any minor nations in the area: You have a viable alternative. We strongly suggest using it, for your sake.

Africa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Russia has the greatest stockpile of preserved equipment, from simple T-55 tanks [with upgraded engines and weapons, as we can make them better now than they were when designed] to modern Su-55 fighters we will offer our merchandise to anyone we feel can be our close ally, especially legitimate governments.

UN Statement:
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone who even thinks about using one more missile or other WMD anywhere near Russia's borders should think twice, because he won't get a third chance. I'm putting all strategical forces, be it bombers, trains, or submarines on high level of readiness. Not war level, mind you, but we are ready to use it now at the first warning.
    And to stop the current crisis before it escalates to unmanageable size I have ordered certain measures that should contain the situation and stabilize it.
    I won't waste my words on condemning anyone, as it will be vetoed anyway and I hate idle chatter.

Report of current military operations:

Arctic Shield
    Spoiler
    Show
    Semi-secret
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, arming all nuclear missiles, trains [ICBM on a train - since Russia has hundreds of thousands of kilometers of railways, a mobile launcher on those is almost impossible to intercept before it launches - we don't station anything in silos, too easy to destroy] and submarines, deploying from their bases, both carriers with their combat groups [one in the far east, one in Murmansk] and all submarines, both conventional and nuclear leaving port, bombers being dispersed on secondary airfields, etc, etc, to be ready at any time. Also, raising the readiness state of all fighters and interceptors to war-levels, to be ready for intercepting ballistic missiles and enemy bombers. All other forces, heightened readiness levels.

Arctic Fox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ukraine, mostly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two armored divisions with the new T-115 MBT's from nearby garrisons will be ordered into Ukraine; they are to blitz through it and stop at the Ukrainian-EU border, creating a buffer between both sides, acting as de facto UN peacekeeping forces, as we cannot pass that in UN council, or any condemning resolution for that matter. Six Mechanized divisions are to follow them the next day; engineering brigades of each division will be ordered to repair any bridge/road/tunnel/whatever they can along the way but they shouldn't linger for too long. in total, 8 divisions [6 points of land] should reach the border giving humanitarian aid whenever possible on the sixth day of the operation; as they have full NBC protection, they should be fine. Resistance from Ukrainian forces should be minimal and besides, we already have handed them ultimatum concerning right of passage. Civilian forces capable of dealing with natural disasters will be offered, too, and airlifted to any intact runway capable of receiving heavy transport planes.

Report of current GRU and FSB operations [espionage]:

Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1523173/ [in order, 6d6 per operation]

Tempest [6 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Cover: 12 Strength: 5 Extra Benefits: 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Moldavia - Specnaz teams from GRU, posing as Romanian-speaking minority and EU agents [in fact, they will have western papers and will be chosen only from soldiers fluent in other languages, as they cannot even show the knowledge of Russian on this one] will began terrorizing the Russian-speaking majority; as these aren't simple terrorists, they should deal easily with local police forces. Their targets will also include prominent politicians [but only these that don't like Russia very much, or these who like, but are unimportant] and will spread leaflets rallying Romanians to rise in uprising and secede from Moldavia. Each specnaz team will be given Hero of Federation Gold Star, the highest award, if they succeed; it they are killed or captured, they cannot count on our support. They are western agents, anyway, not ours. They will be given some misleading, forged documents they will occasionally lose [especially when killed/captured] showing preparations to much larger operation against Moldavia being prepared.

Whirlwind [6 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Cover: 13 Strength: 6 Extra Benefits: 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Belarus - Specnaz teams posing as Polish/German/French specforces soldiers deep-raiding it's territory will do the same as above, but it will be the Polish minority this time, and it will look like preparations to EU military action.

Rainbow [6 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Cover: 11 Strength: 4 Extra Benefits: -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Russia will offer Armenia note proposing "lending" soldiers [as instructors and pilots], and vehicles [unmarked, of course] from our base in the region [which should be unnoticeable; we use the same weapons, anyway] if the government is willing to become a closer ally after the conflict and join the EAST after annexing their enemy - [support will be 2 points of land worth, if they agree]. Also, in the same operation, elite Specnaz teams recruited from Caucasian Highlanders will be dropped in the region, posing as soldiers/sympathetics of both sides. Their target: to make conflict a bit more hot, by terrorizing both soldiers and populace alike in hit and run missions. Fake leads, languages etc. as in above operations. Given how poorly trained are their opponents that shouldn't be difficult.

Spoiler
    Show

What these should accomplish? Simply, we have a base in every country targeted, so we want their governments asking us for help and increased presence in these bases, in return of some concessions. Also, an atmosphere of panic will be discreetly increased by any unofficially Russian-owned tv, radio station or mayor newspaper in these [and neighboring] countries. The more crying for help against scary EU will come to us, the better.
    Last edited by Irbis; 2008-03-10 at 05:01 PM.
    Above Us Only Sky

30. - Top - End - #30

BlueKnightGuy

Ernesto Guevara II Addresses UN General Assembly

Spoilered because it's huge, but everyone can and should read it
    Spoiler
    Show

I would first like to commend Indonesia for being the first to step forward in condemning the EU's actions and proposing sanctions. However, I feel as though the Indonesian proposal does not go far enough. To remind everyone, the Indonesian proposal was as follows:

1. Trade Blockade.

2. Dismantlement of Nuclear Launch Sites.
    3. Dismantlement of Nuclear Nukes production Lines.
    4. Expatriation of a number of European Nuclear physicists.

5. Security Council veto revoked.
    6. UN approval of Greek Independence.
    7. UN forces intervention in Ukraine.

On the first point I agree wholeheartedly: we must call upon all responsible nations to immediately cease trade with the EU. There is yet time to negotiate trade deals to replace those that were in effect with the EU. While there still exist conscientious nations on this Earth, we cannot in good faith support a leader who makes unilateral nuclear strikes without warning; if we allow trade to continue with the EU and the income from it funds the reconstruction of the EU nuclear arsenal, none of us will be able to live with ourselves.

On the second and third points, I would add that UN inspectors be mandated to monitor the EU such that any attempts to construct nuclear weaponry or the equipment or facilities related to nuclear weaponry may be known immediately and prevented.

On the fourth point, I would reject the idea of forced expatriation of nuclear physicists. I do not believe Indonesia called for this, but the resolution was unclear, and I would like to make it clear. The UN is not in the business of mandating the movements of people based on their occupations. However, I would rewrite this proposal to state that the UN will fully support the right of EU citizens who are outraged by their government's actions to emigrate, and will tolerate no interference by the EU in the freedom of their people.

On the fifth point, I would not only remove the EU's veto power, but abolish its Security Council seat entirely. A government that has such blatant disregard for the diplomatic process has no right to sit on the United Nations Security Council.

As for the Indonesian propositions six and seven, I would remove them from this resolution. They are important issues, but this is a resolution of punitive measures against the government of the EU; the rest can be decided in other resolutions.

We stand at a defining moment in the history of the United Nations. Will we allow a massive unilateral nuclear strike by a country once considered worthy of a seat on the Security Council to go unpunished, or will we stand firm to our core principles of peace and prosperity through mutli-lateral action?

@Wizard and EVERYONE

I am formally calling for a vote on this resolution by the UN General Assembly. All player-Nations, please post with your nation's vote, and, if you'd like, an impassioned speech supporting your position. Wizard, please post how the various non-player voting members respond.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein