New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Game of Nations

BBC, Cape Town, South Africa: South african representatives on the UN Security Council abstained yesterday on the proposed resolution censuring Turkey, they also voted yea on the recognition of Taiwan in compliance with their earlier establishment of diplomatic relations. Her Majesty Queen Diana herself also made a surprise visit to the United Nations, making an impassioned speech to the Security Council to stem the growing tide of conflict in Europe.

Agence France Press, Cape Town, South Africa: The South African government today dispatched new ambassadors to the former European Union. His Grace Johnathan Slack, the royal chaplain has been given papal approval to take up a secular position as the Crowned Republic's ambassador to the Kingdom of Heaven whilst career diplomat Robert van Tonder has been made Her Majesty Queen Diana's ambassador to the New European Union.

@Wizard, Eyes only.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I want to deploy my navy and airforce to the mediterranean, the Aegean particularly as a peace keeping force to stop the Turks, Greeks and Serbs blowing each other to hell.

I'd like to use all my Spy to cover this up until its a fait accompli.

I am sorry but I don't quite get the espionage rules, Primary effect I want to be hiding the troops, I apollogise for being useless, could you assign points as you see best after that? Thank you.
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-03-14 at 02:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ailae d'Orien in When the Voice Whispers.

Deyn Aygnys in The Castle Builders

Nicholas Nuttall-MacDonald in High Stakes

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Russia, Inc.

To the eyes of mr. President, only:

Report of All-Russian Trade Commitee:

Trade:

Canada: 7
    UK: 5
    Turkey: 5
    Britain: 5
    Ukraine: 3

We will propose 5 points to both Belarus, on 2:2 basis, and to NEU, on 3:3 basis.

Total: 30

Report of Ministry of Foreign Relations:

Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia and Russia are now all EAST members. Seeing that Moldavia and Belarus only wanted to wait to see if we cooperate they are free to join at any time they want.

Special Military and Equipment Committee:

We now have minus -0.6 in air forces, per attack of EU,
    and
    Spoiler
    Show
    +1 of air and navy, per KoH reparations. Our scientists have already began examining these new airplanes and ships, as well as their armament, and they are being manned and incorporated into our forces now. Also, we can count on forces provided by our EAST allies, but until a common command network has been established it is hard to say on how much.

Report of current operations:

Spoiler
    Show

I want anything discreetly raised to war-time readiness, since we seem to have a new crisis on the horizon. That includes air forces monitoring our southern border with fighters ready to be scrambled at any time if there is any signal about an attack from central Asia. That also includes the whole of nuclear arsenal.
    Also, we will begin withdrawal of our divisions from Ukraine to their bases in Volgograd, one at a time.

Report of current GRU and FSB operations [espionage]:

As previous operations reached their goals, the accompanying forces will move on to new targets:

Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1527152/ [in order, 4d6, 6d6 and 8d6 per operation]

Varsity [4 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Strength: 7 Extra Benefits(?): 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Counter espionage, as the new developments are disturbing. We especially want proofs who is smuggling weapons into our country, who's is their producer and where they are supposed to be used.

Rainbow 2.0 [6 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Strength: 11 Cover: 4 Extra Benefits: 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Specnaz teams that are currently deployed into Armenia and Azerbaijan will receive portable air defence systems with their orders changed - they are to proceed to Azerbaijan to gather proofs of foreign intervention, who are the nations involved and what they are using in the conflict. If they can shoot down several foreign planes and document that, the better. First team with proofs and/or pieces of the plane will receive Hero of Russia medals and all benefits that go with it. Their cover: Chechen mercenaries.

Ragnarok [8 spy]
    Spoiler
    Show
    GM only! Most Important! Cover: 19 Strength: 11 Extra Benefits: 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    I told you it's GM only, right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time for a little retribution. GRU will prepare our newest multirole nuclear stealth submarine to insert five best GRU teams we have on hand. Meanwhile, we will wait for two above operations to yield results. These responsible will see that Russia won't forgive of forget.

Above Us Only Sky

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

((Man, I entirely missed the last GM post. Which is weird because I've posted since then.))

@Greece and Serbia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ukraine is asking its allies to continue seeking a diplomatic solution to the Cyprus problem, rather than going so far as invading Turkey, which seems like needless escalation. And trust us, we know about needless escalation. We'd really like to see this end without either side starting violence, and believe that the situation can be defused without bloodshed.

We are asking Turkey one more time to end their occupation of Cyprus. At least give them time to respond.

As an additional note, Ukraine can not speak for Russia or EAST as a whole, but has asked the Federation to at least stay neutral in the conflict if they do not come in on the side of the Balkan states.

Ukraine is also continuing to make polite inquiries as to more complete reparations from the KOH and NEU. Their last diplomatic dispatches have not, in the opinion of Ukraine's state department, adequately addressed our concerns. We are also supporting the Russian requests for a semi-demilitarized zone. Russia's other requests, we feel, are a matter for the UN, but we fully support them in that venue.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

SEA Declaration (Indonesia, Australia, New Guinea, East Timor, New Zealand)

(edit)note: These are members of SEA. It has nothing to do with the information being directed to them specifically. Everyone can have a look.(/edit)

Article 1. Members of SEA have a liability, a responsibility of trading first and foremost with members of SEA. They also are to be protected as well as protect the other countries in SEA.

Article 2.a. Members of SEA are given power in the organization through the funding of a common army that is placed under command of Indonesian military officials. The larger the contribution, the greater amount of seats they gain in the Assembly. Member countries possess one seat by default. (This is calculated as a % of the military power they invest. There are 10 chairs to gain from dedicating military power. (100%))

Article 2.b. No nation can have more than 11 seats in the Assembly.

Article 3.a. For nations that do not desire to dedicate part of their armies, navies or air forces to SEA military, they have the option of gaining seats through military funding. (2 Wealth point == 1 seat.)

Article 3.b. All nations in SEA are required to fund SEA Military Corp every 10 years. (1 Wealth point). The method of gaining seats is no different. Refer to article 3.a.

Article 4. The UN's veto power is officially considered a great threat to the freedom of expression that SEA wants to allow to its members. There is no veto for either Indonesia (Founder) and Australia (Co-founder).

Article 5.a. All measures passed through SEA are to be passed with at least 90% of Assembly Seats. (Except article 4.b.) This measure is prone to re-arranging once more countries join. This is mainly to prevent abuse from either Indonesia and Australia which will have a majority until other countries feel safe enough to invest military power.

Article 5.b. To reclaim any portions of army from SEA military, the resolution will have to be put through the assembly at a 60% majority. The amount of seats gained through the % concerned are lost for that nation.

Article 6. Although the SEA army will be under Indonesian military command, the Assembly will have its say on declarations of war as well as peacekeeping missions. Military Operations themselves, for the obvious reason of counter-espionage, will remain confidential information.

Article 7. If a SEA country deeply rejects actions of SEA Military Corp. or are concerned about a violation of human rights, they can appeal to the Assembly for sanctions towards the Indonesian government with a 'go-ahead' majority set at 60% of Assembly Chairs.

Current Assembly Chairs:

Indonesia: 11 A. chairs.
    Australia: 11 A. chairs.
    New Zealand: 1 A. chair.
    New Guinea: 1 A. chair.
    East Timor: 1 A. chair.

SEA Military Corp

Army: 12
    Navy: 19
    Air: 16
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-14 at 06:35 PM.
    A Revenant

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turkey's research for the turn

advanced solar cells primary, synthetic foods secondary

4,1,3,5,6,4,3,2,+0
    Total:28

15 primary
    5 secondary
    1 tertiary
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Ukraine's research for turn 1. Rolls. Wow. Ridiculously productive. I guess we work well under pressure, nyet?

Primary: I'd like to prioritze Nuclear Fallout Scrubbing as primary, even though you didn't list that as a category. I'd rather like to have it.
    Secondary: Synthetic Foods.

If I can't select fallout scrubbing as a category, make Synthetic Foods Primary and Nuclear Fusion secondary.

Primary: 16(!)
    Secondary: 9
    Tertiary: 4
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

"Nations, like children, go through phases. At first they will be selfish and violent, lashing out at their peers at the slightest provocation, greedily coveting everything in sight merely because someone else does. The battlecry in these situations, both playground and battleground, soccer field and killing field, is often some derivative of 'No fair!'. It is only later that we realize that fairness and justice are not the same thing, and one is often detrimental to the other."
    --CMJS cover letter, "A Comprehensive Guide to Socialized Childcare"

CMJS Offers Itself as a Neutral Party for Turkey-Greece Peace Talks

Both Turkish and Greek diplomats are invited to the facilities in Mexico City, to talk through the issue without violence. The CMJS issues a public statement, that any war is deplorable, especially one over something so petty, and a diplomatic solution is much preferable to a murderous one.

@Wizard:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure about cover, asking Wizard about it. Do not read until then.
    Spoiler
    Show

Clandestinely selling 1 unit of Army to the previously located CMJS-sympathetic rebels at a 3:1 ratio (in northern or western Africa, if we can swing that). We promise that we will sell them much more in the immediate future, but we're waiting to see how they use it, and if they stick to their ideological guns when they're given more power. They are warned that ethnic cleansing and unnecessary bloodshed will be met with aid for their enemies. CMJS spies will watch the group as it uses the units. This uses 4 of my total 6 clandestine capacity. What's the cover value for this operation, and do I need to spend an espionage point to watch the rebels?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

Japan announces research budget

While Japan has been very quiet on the international scene lately, the Shogun was busy traveling around the country, visiting various new corporations founded as a result of their new economy policy. After carefully studying the current market situation, he announced that Japan would invest in corporations and universities researching the following subjects:

Advanced solar cells: (Primary - 13)
    Quantum Computers: (secondary - 1)

"Japan has always looked up to the sun. Now it will once again provide us with power, as the Sun's power is the mightiest in the system."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #129

SEA

The lesser SEA nations aren't too happy about the charter as it stands. They want the option to fully withdraw their military and don't want Indonesia to always be in command. They propose instead a free withdrawal of forces after each 5 year term and an integrated command structure in which a council of 3 generals makes the decisions, needing a full affirmation of all to condone action. One general should be from Indonesia, one Australian and one rotating between the minor members. It is unlikely they will commit any forces without these demands.

Singapore and Malaysia are considering joining with SEA and has formally requested membership, though it is likely that it will support the other minors in their desires.

Cyprus in the UN

It seems most minor nations abhor the Turkish actions and Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Britain, Indonesia and other powers that are in support of the Cypriot cause are gathering a lot of support in the UN and improving their international standing.

The US, Canada and Turkey are reducing their international standing by their actions. Public protests in Canada and the US are ongoing against the Turkish actions. Turkey however finds it's people rallying behind their government.

Russia and the Ukraine's neutrality seems to render them immune to blame.

Chinese Breakup???

With the Chinese no longer claiming Taiwan the peoples sentiments in other occupied regions shifts against the Chinese government. A rebellion breaks out in Tibet, east Turkistan and trouble seems to be stirring even in Inner Mongolia and Hong Kong.

China in regions
    Spoiler
    Show

Taiwan says it fully support the independence movements. Mongolia has announced it's entry into the Central Asian Pact, but also seems to be mobilizing, claiming 'it does not want the inner Mongolia trouble to flare up further and threaten to spread borders'.

Spanish Terrorism in USA

Explosions in major cities all over the USA are followed up by an announcement of the "Hispanic Liberation Front" ((naturally the name is in Spanish, but you'll have to forgive my lack of linguistic knowledge)) that "the new slaves of the US demand their freedom from the USA and the territories captured from Mexico be returned to the rule of their Hispanic owners ."

1 Economy is lost by the US as targets include financial centers, high technology companies and other economic resources. In addition the Hispanic strikes and riots prevent 1 point of resources from being extracted.

Caucasus Breakaway

Several minor russian states in the Caucassus have voted in their assemblies to break away from the Russian Federation, the new weapons, that seem remarkably similar to what Azerbaijan is using to fight armenia, empowering them to do so.

((OOC: note: i'm giving all great powers struggles to deal with. Power comes at a price and this is an unstable time))

map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.colorado.edu/ibs/waroutcomes/pics/ethnicMap.jpg

Central Asian Pact

The Central Asian pact now includes Pakistan, Kazachstan, Mongolia, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan.

Cypriot Struggle continues

0.2 Army is lost as the Cypriot resistance attacks their bases.

@turkey
    Spoiler
    Show
    generals are asking their government if they are allowed to 'use any means' to end the rebellion or if there is a political solution (probably requires a cash and/or spy influx, and isn't automatically successful)

EAST GROWS

All of the Ukrains allies, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, sign up to east. Moldova and Belarus likewise join.

East now holds: Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova and Belarus.

Balkan Alliance

Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania still invited the Ukraine to join the Balkan Alliance.

Balkan-Turkish War

@viggo: please state the numbers of forces and where they come from 'peacekeepers go home' means nothing to me as I have to go back and look it up. I am likely to ignore messages without numbers.

For now I assume that you have:

Cyprus
    3.5 armies
    2.5 navies
    4 air force

Istanbul region
    2 army
    2 navy
    2 airforce

Ankara Region
    3 army
    2 navy
    2 air force

The Greek and Serb military seem not to attack, but they offer turkey an ultimatum.They do however set up a blockade, aided by Romania and Bulgaria.

@Turkey: "As per the request of the Ukraine we shall give you one final chance to leave Cyprus. If you do not cease your occupation we shall use air, sea and ground forces to force you to liberate the island. "

@Ukraine: "We expect that you will aid us in our commitment if Turkey refuses to relinquish it's hold on Cyprus."
    ((note: likely diplomatic penalty with these countries if you refuse to place action behind your words))

Serbian-Greek Forces:
    4 Army
    4 Navy
    4 Air

Bulgarian-Romanian Forces:
    5 Army
    2 Navy
    3 Air

(note: they will likely not deploy everything at once, holding some back for home defence. Also Bulgaria and Romania are only blockading you in the Black Sea)

Effects of the Blockade (if unopposed): Trade with Russia (also due to unrest in Caucasus), Ukraine, Europe and Northern Africa blocked, trade with middle east (1/3 of total max) still possible.

NEU and KoH

Both are interested in trade with all nations of the world, but also continue to want to trade heavily with each other. (assume 10 points are avaiable in total, with I believe turkey, russia and switserland allready claiming a part of it???)

KoH and NEU are not responsible for the actions of a mad dictator/the antichrist. Your demands are in direct violation of the sovereignty of these member states and we do not agree. (russia suffers a diplomatic penalty with both).

((note the combined points for these two somewhat exceeds the EU (not so much in military, but other area's yes), remember member states did not give everything to the collective, to some extend the EU stats represented the degree of control of the central government; they are not weak by any measure...KoH could even be considered a great power in it's own right with the tithes from catholics worldwide, especially in South America))

Still it seems the two have concluded talks on an aid package for Ukraine, agreeing to share the burden. The combined economic aid offer comes in the following agreement:

Turn 1: 10 points of wealth are granted directly for economic reconstruction. (+5 Economy)

Turn 2 10 points of trade are offered in turn 2, requesting in exchange that the newly generated 5 point of economy are used for trade back to NEU and KoH and that all the trade income from turn 2 under this trade goes to economic development in the Ukraine. (10-5 trade/ the 10 trade received goes into +5 economy)

Turn 3 The trade offer is 10 trade from NEU and KOH in exchange for 10 trade from the Ukraine. (10-10 trade)
    Switserlands offers of protection of Lichtenstein and Austria are welcomed. Still Austria becomes a part of the (purely administrative) greater Germany. In effect making it a region that both the NEU and Switserland protect. A treaty agreeing to this 'dual protection' is offered by NEU, making Austria a far more autonomous region in NEU then most others. Switserland is also offered membership in NEU, which is far more like the european union of the early 21st century then the super state that was just dismantled.

Fallout from Ukraine

Ukraine, The Balkan region, Russia, KoH and Turkey: All receive -1 resources for 1 turn due to fallout that litters their fields and ruins their agriculture. A famine could be expected by some unless this is actively resolved. There are 3 points of fallout in total and each requires an investment of 1 wealth to clean up. (remember you could opt to 'just clean your bit', requiring 1 wealth from Ukraine and 0.5 for each other nation)

@all: If not handled collectively and fully you each receive -1 economy due to market unrest and damage from fallout. (KoH and Balkan minors have opted to just clean their bits, but refuse to do more)

((balkan region refers to the whole, not individual nations))

((to all: opening your borders to Ukrainian refugees might help a bit, but don't count on a huge bonus.))

World Economic Slowdown

The world economy is slowing down due to the recent nuclear troubles and the ongoing conflicts in mayor nations.

investing in economy costs 3 point for every 1 increase in the stat during turn 1...yes this means you have to recalculate

Still perhaps all nations in the UN could prevent this if they somehow made a unified effort to counter this. WTO and IMF experts warn that continued troubles would not help resolve the situation and that probably some kind of collective improvement in governance is needed to counteract the problems. Further escalation could even cause a recession.

((@Ukraine, unless this unified effort is sufficient, the KoH and NEU offers in effect are not as effective in turn 1))

SHADY DEALS

Could those of you conducting shady deals with rebels groups in any region (Africa, Russian Caucasus, USA, Native South Americans, Chinese etc..) and I have not addressed your actions yet please PM me with them. I'm having some difficulty with knowing what goes on in this area.

NEW ACTIONS can still be posted in this thread, but any old actions not PM-ed will be ignored.

(essentially I want an overview of shady actions if they are not covered yet in any of my posts)
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-15 at 10:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reallocation of Turkish military
    Cyprus
    3.5 armies
    2.5 navies
    2 air force

Istanbul region
    3 army
    3 airforce

Ankara Region
    3 army
    3 air force

Black Sea blockade breakers
    4 navy (I don't want them to fire unprovoked, but a heavy escort for every ship with trade goods should cover it).

A Speech to the United Nations

Our ports have been unfairly blockaded by several Eastern European nations. We reiterate, once elections have been resolved, all but a few Turkish troops will leave the island. We have already begun a scale-back of our forces with the removal of 2 air groups.

To our European, Russian and Ukranian allies, your well-being is harmed by the actions of these illegal blockades on my ports. I urge you to help me break this blockade.

It is ESPECIALLY heinous as a result of the cutoff of Turkish goods to Ukranian people attempting to recover from their recent disaster. How DARE you hand injury to these people in such a way?
    Last edited by viggo; 2008-03-15 at 02:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post

Armenia
    2 army (These have been here since I posted my orders... what's the deal with them?)
    Please PM me the link (this was meant by the last point in my post...I don't have a good view of who's doing what in that respect due to the large amount of players and the fact that I have to still instruct my CO-GMs (was going to do that starting turn 2, just so I could run turn 1 as a kind of pilot) )

Also I looked at your budged post. You cannot upgrade the population stat (simply not allowed), or the social stat (as it's a combination of other stats) (though I think that by the social investment you are seeking to quell unrest, which is a fair investment, but won't raise your social stat).

12. - Top - End - #132

Channel Africa, Praetoria, South Africa: BREAKING NEWS . . . BREAKING NEWS . . . BREAKING NEWS.

Moments ago the South African Government issued a statement on all domestic broadcast media channels, the statement reads as follows;

"It is the solemn duty of Her Majesty's government to inform the people of the Crowned Republic and the international community that the SARN and SARAF have deployed a task force to the eastern Mediterranean for the purpose of peacekeeping in the region. These ships and planes have been deployed in the spirit of peace in order to protect civilian and neutral shipping and air traffic and to deter further hostilities between the Baltic, Turkish and Hellenic Nations. It is our great hope that the United Nations will look kindly upon this measure and that the presence of neutral forces in the region will facilitate a diplomatic resolution to the current crisis."

Initial reports suggest that an unknown number of vessels and planes are currently being tracked by a variety of national radars though by what means this task force was deployed are currently unknown. The international community's reaction has yet to be seen.

-----

In other news the South african government has decried the Hispanic terrorism in the USA, stating that violence is never a valid way to express even legitimate grievances. The Foreign office also issued a statement regarding the independence movements in the Caucuses and China, declaring its support for the principal of self-determination and the sovereignty of Nations. The government has called for negotiation between factions to reach an equitable solution.

---

The Home Secretary has declared that the South Africa will be open to unrestricted immigration by refugees from the Ukraine and the provision of full access to the nation's socialised healthcare and special subsidised housing.

---

Spoiler
    Show
    A large force of South African ships and personnel are in international waters in the Mediterranian, though their exact numbers are hard to determine and how they go there is a mystery.
    espionage
    Spoiler
    Show
    cover 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 navy and 4 air in Mediterranean
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-03-15 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ailae d'Orien in When the Voice Whispers.

Deyn Aygnys in The Castle Builders

Nicholas Nuttall-MacDonald in High Stakes

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turkey's Updated Spending

4 to Civil, brokered deal with Armenians and Kurds should stop any sabre-rattling. Also, Kurdish history is now required curriculum alongside Turkish and Armenian history in schools. It will be phrased as unified history rather than individual to bring everyone closer together. Statues of Armenian and Kurdish leaders will be raised outside the capital in Ankara, as well as in key tourist areas along the Black Sea and Mediterranean.

10 to Army, raising total to 14. These units will be specially trained in nation-building techniques -- policing, distributing resources, languages, et cetera. One of these specifically will be trained from Armenian troops for the actions in Armenia.

10 to Economy. 2 of this will go to education, identifiying the youngest and smartest children and putting them in intensified educational programs. Another 2 will go to scholarship programs for these children if they are unable to afford universities. An aggressive exchange program will also be established, focusing primarily on the most effective economic nations -- the United States, Japan, Germany and the like. 4 will go to expanded infrastructure -- an effort to have broadband internet access in every home in the nation, much like South Korea, as well as a government-run free library of every book ever published ever. The last 2 will be in tax breaks to the following sectors, in order -- high-tech, heavy industry, medical. This will be focused 75% on building up domestic industry, but 25% of this will also be for foreign direct investment in a special area along the Mediterranean coast.

2 to radiation cleanup, particularly reclaiming lost resources.

Cyprus
    3.5 armies
    2.5 navies
    2 air force

Istanbul region
    3 army
    2 airforce

Ankara Region
    3 army
    2 air force

Black Sea blockade breakers
    4 navy (I don't want them to fire unprovoked, but a heavy escort for every ship with trade goods should cover it).
    2 air force (let's buzz the blockade ships, Russian-style. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 No firing, but harassing the sailors and keeping them on high alert. Any one of them goes down is causus belli.
    Last edited by viggo; 2008-03-15 at 04:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turkey Calls for Sanctions against Blockaders!

I hate to sound like a broken record, but those nations blockading Turkish ports are in CLEAR violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, or the Law of the Sea Treaty. They are invading sovereign Turkish territory, and any further presence will not be tolerated.

The government of Turkey hereby formally requests the punishment incumbent upon violations of this treaty, which are economic sanctions and a revocation of voting rights in the United Nations.

double post ftw.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yet another revision to Ukraine's spending

Revised Budget (Turn 1)

Wealth: +10 (1+4+5)
    Trade Income: +10 (Global Free Trade for first turn)
    Upkeep: -8 (44/5)
    Total: +12

Army: +2 (4 points)
    Air: +2 (4 points)
    Economy: +1 (3 points)
    Fallout Cleanup: 1 point
    Total: -12

Spending details were given in the last post on this subject, the change being that, as the economic recovery plans began to go overbudget and fallout cleanup's cost was assessed, some of the military rebuilding was cut.

Ukraine cleans its own fallout sectors, and apologizes that they do not yet have the capability to aid their neighbors in their own cleanup.

@KOH and NEU

That deal is acceptable, and we thank you for your kindness and responsibility in this matter.

Revised Trade Summary (Turn 1)

Total possible exports: 10 (4+6)
    Nation (Give:Receive)
    Russia (3:3) Confirmed
    Belarus (1:1) NPC
    Romania (1:1) NPC
    Bulgaria (1:1) NPC
    Balkan Minors (1:1) NPC
    Turkey (3:3) Confirmed
    South Africa (0:2) Confirmed (Humanitarian Aid)
    Switzerland (0:1) Confirmed (Humanitarian Aid)
    KOH and NEU (0:10) Confirmed (Reparations earmarked for Economy spending)

Total: (10:23)

If I missed any offers from anyone, let me know.

@Wizard: Since I can already scrubs fallout, I guess my research priorities are Synthetic Foods and Nuclear Fusion.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-15 at 02:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post

4 to Population. (From the rules post: "Population grows naturally, but can also be improved through government programs.")

Sure, but is was later changed in a later post. Population cannot be 'grown' like that (well not yet at least...once you develop the right tech though). Remember the rules were fluid during the creation process, this was changed when I was diversifying population, economy and resources. I will amended it slightly as i can see that this might cause some trouble.

It simply isn't possible to 'breed population' at the kind of rates that might be possible without the right set of technologies. ((hint: look at the life science technologies, but I'll give no further tips on this for now..some of the ones currently available are precursor techs for this)). It simply doesn't make sense that people could 'double' population in 5 years.

The government programs might have a sleight impact, but as a GM I'm not going to bother with that as I'd have to sift through each individual budget.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-15 at 02:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Colossus in the Playground

Daily Sunrise presents: "The Shoguns thought of the day"

What China now faces is the direct result of it's millenia-old history of imperialism. The Iron Fist of Communism has been lifted and China once again tastes the air of freedom. But now, others want to do the same. If China can't offer them a reason to stay, then it should be their right to leave. As much as we sympathize with China, we also believe in the freedom of choice.

Oh, and Japan's budget stays the same.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2008-03-15 at 02:51 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_of_the_Coat View Post
    Sure, but is was later changed in a later post. Population cannot be 'grown' like that (well not yet at least...once you develop the right tech though). Remember the rules were fluid during the creation process.
    Oh, it was? I bought a point of population, but flavored it as "rapid evacuation of civilians from the fallout zones", bringing my population score up to what it was before the attacks. Is this cool?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Oh, it was? I bought a point of population, but flavored it as "rapid evacuation of civilians from the fallout zones", bringing my population score up to what it was before the attacks. Is this cool?
    No it is not.

I'm sorry for not having all the rules in one place. I was going to do that with the onset of turn 2. I had no idea this game would be so popular and have such an immense OOC threat so quickly...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, more planes for me then. Updated budget in the above post. It's cool, but I'm definitely looking forward to a more complete ruleset.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Updated previous post, sorry about the confusion.

Turkey Petitions Former EU Nations for Economic Assistance with Radiation Cleanup

22. - Top - End - #142

SEA

The lesser SEA nations aren't too happy about the charter as it stands. They want the option to fully withdraw their military and don't want Indonesia to always be in command. They propose instead a free withdrawal of forces after each 5 year term and an integrated command structure in which a council of 3 generals makes the decisions, needing a full affirmation of all to condone action. One general should be from Indonesia, one Australian and one rotating between the minor members. It is unlikely they will commit any forces without these demands.

Singapore and Malaysia are considering joining with SEA and has formally requested membership, though it is likely that it will support the other minors in their desires.
    Indonesia agrees with the nation-members of SEA about the charter. It also officially admits Singapore and Malaysia in the pact.

"Indonesia is now working on a new charter that will satisfy the current issues raised by the new members. We also encourage the Philippines to join in the current talks to provide its own input."

SEA Declaration (Indonesia, Australia, New Guinea, East Timor, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore)

note: These are members of SEA. It has nothing to do with the information being directed to them specifically. Everyone can have a look.

Bolded articles: Changes made.

Spoiler
    Show

Official SEA Nations Charter

Article 1. Members of SEA have a liability, a responsibility of trading first and foremost with members of SEA. They also are to be protected as well as protect the other countries in SEA.

Article 2.a. Members of SEA are given power in the organization through the funding of a common army that is placed under command of Indonesian military officials. The larger the contribution, the greater amount of seats they gain in the Assembly. Member countries possess one seat by default. (This is calculated as a % of the military power they invest. There are 10 chairs to gain from dedicating military power. (100%))

Article 2.b. No nation can have more than 11 seats in the Assembly.

Article 3.a. For nations that do not desire to dedicate part of their armies, navies or air forces to SEA military, they have the option of gaining seats through military funding. (2 Wealth point == 1 seat.)

Article 3.b. For nations of SEA that have not dedicated the minimum of 10% of military power (Which is one seat), they are required to fund SEA Military Corp every 5 years. (1 Wealth point). The method of gaining seats is no different. Refer to article 3.a.

Article 4. The UN's veto power is officially considered a great threat to the freedom of expression that SEA wants to allow to its members. There is no veto for either Indonesia (Founder) and Australia (Co-founder).

Article 5.a. All measures passed through SEA are to be passed with at least 80% of Assembly Seats. (Except article 4.b.) This measure is prone to re-arranging once more countries join. This is mainly to prevent abuse from either Indonesia and Australia which will have a majority until other countries feel safe enough to invest military power.

Article 5.b. Any nation can freely reclaim any portions of their army from SEA military after every 10 year-term. (This is to prevent abuse to gain chairs, and in the same turn, vote, then remove military)

Article 6.a.The SEA army will be under the command of 3 Generals: A representative General of Indonesia, Australia, and a rotating general from the other nation members. They will decide, at a majority, how to put the army to its best use.

Article 6.b. The Assembly will have its say on declarations of war as well as peacekeeping missions. Military Operations themselves, for the obvious reason of counter-espionage, will remain confidential information.

Article 7. If a SEA country deeply rejects actions of SEA Military Corp. or are concerned about a violation of human rights, they can appeal to the Assembly for sanctions against the current general representatives with a 'go-ahead' majority set at 60% of Assembly Chairs.

Article 8.a. The Assembly may vote on the specific research areas for SEA Research Inc. facilities. SEA Research Inc. is a common area where willing countries dedicate the entirety of their scientific assets towards researching a common goal.

Article 8.b. Countries that do not dedicate to SEA Research Inc. will be able to buy Breakthroughs from the Institute. All the wealth points gained in those transactions will be re-invested in Research. Unless voted for by the participating researchers inside the Assembly, transactions will not occur outside SEA members.

Current Assembly Chairs:

Indonesia: 11 A. chairs.
    Australia: 11 A. chairs.
    New Zealand: 1 A. chair.
    New Guinea: 1 A. chair.
    East Timor: 1 A. chair.
    Singapore: 1 A. chair
    Malaysia: 1 A. chair.

SEA Military Corp

Army: 12
    Navy: 19
    Air: 16

SEA Research Inc

Indonesia, Australia
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-17 at 02:08 AM.
    A Revenant

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

"An old survey concluded that ninety percent of drivers feel that they are better drivers than average. This opinion, while mathematically impossible, persists in almost every area of the human condition. Capitalism is popular because everyone, from the richest oligarch to the poorest farm worker, thinks that, in some way, they are better than everyone else. Capitalism allows them to fantasize that their selfish aspirations, founded in their arrogance, may one day come to fruition. It takes a more mature society to realize that it is in everyone's best interest for this dreamy selfishness to go the way of Divine Right, Slavery, and Mercanitilism."
    --"Claro y Simple" (The Movement informational pamphlet)

CMJS Proposes a Solution to the Aegean Conflict

While it was disappointed that Turkish and Balkan diplomats turned down their offer, the CMJS would nontheless like to propose a solution to the mounting crisis that they feel could be satisfactory to both parties and prevent a war. The National Legislature Committee of foreign affairs today proposed a solution to the brewing war in the eastern Mediterrenian:

-Turkish military units will withdraw from the ethnically Greek portions of the island, along pre-invasion borders.
    -Free elections will be held in both portions of the island (yes, even the Greek portion-- the presence of the Turkish military certainly influenced the outcome), overseen by intelligence operatives from willing nations. The CMJS offers 1 point of espionage for precisely this purpose. The international community will recognize the outcome of these elections as a legitimate expression of self-determination, regardless of their outcome (yes, if the Turkish portion of the island votes to set up a Turkish Republic, the international community will recognize that, as well).
    -All forces will immediately cease all hostilities and withdraw to a safe distance to avoid confrontation.

Hopefully this will result in elections that are both legitimate and satisfactory to all parties, which can be reached without a pointless war.

CMJS Attempts to Squelch Violence in the US
    @Wizard (please don't tl;dr)
    The National Legislature today approved a measure asking the Provincial Legislatures for a sum of money to be used in the organization of the CMJS-sympathetic elements of US society into coherent, peaceful protests, rather than the deplorable terrorism that it is currently. Funding, and the pressure of the CMJS civil element, will be used to educate US citizens abroad in the CMJS on the teachings of the CMJS, effective, nonviolent protest techniques, and rhetoric. This funding will also go to advertising campaigns in the US, calling for an end to the violence of the Liberation Front, and advertising the peaceful protests that are being implemented in their place. It will also go to funding an organization of the movement along democratic lines, to put measures on the ballot in US elections for Liberation Front sticking points.

(1 point of wealth sent to CMJS Liberation Front Organization)
    Post number 22 in rolling thread--
    4 points of Civil are directed to this action:
    8 Primary (organizing and spreading the movement)
    2 Secondary (quelling their previous violent activities and making damn sure the movement is peaceful)
    1 Tertiary (DM boni)

English, Portuguese, French Become Additional Official Languages

The National Legislature today approved a measure making English, Portuguese and French official languages of the CMJS, and instituting quadra-lingual education throughout the country. They feel the new official languages will allow them to better interact with their neighbors and conjure a sense of regional unity, as the four languages that are spoken most in Central America and the Caribbean are now on all government documents.

CMJS Research

Subject to change, yada yada.
    Post 21 in the rolling thread
    14 Primary (Fossil Fuel Extraction)
    3 Secondary (Nuclear Fusion)
    1 Tertiary
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-15 at 08:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144

News Clip
    With recent economic changes (stupid 3 to 1 ratio) Canada has decided to reavaluate it's spending for the next 5 years. Also in response to public opinion a direct form with the goverment for any concerned citizen, and new action will be taken based on the public suggestions. (GM: what does my population want)

OOC: New actions to be posted soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    As a druid, I have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, and I've killed men with my bear hands.
    Avatar by kpenguin, Teal'c rocks...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Revised Australian Spending
    +11 to Technology

Since Australia is already the richest country based on a wealth to population ratio and it has been completely untouched by war Robert Daniels has decided to invest in technology rather than the military or economy.

Australia freely offers to share all its research with members of the SEA so long as they promise not to share research with countries outside the organization.

He says this is in SEA's best interest because immediately sharing technology with outsiders would remove any competitive advantage it would receive above other nations.

Currently Australia plans joint research with Indonesia (and any other SEA members who would like to) in these fields:
    Primary: Advanced Solar Cells
    Secondary: Supra-molecular Chemistry

Australia's research results so far are:
    25 primary
    9 secondary
    2 tertiary

Australia declares itself the future leader in all pharmaceutical and genetic research.
    Australia's current primary focus is researching solar power but once this study is complete it will move on to other fields such as:
    Synthetic Foods
    Genetic Medicine
    Body Replacements
    Supra-molecular Chemistry

Australia welcomes any donations from countries that are interested in these fields since the sooner it completes its studies, the sooner they will be made available to the public.

All forms of genetic and pharmaceutical researchers will automatically be accepted into Australia if they wish to immigrate and they will receive funding for all their research so long as it appears promising and funds are spent appropriately.

Australia also agrees with all changes made by Indonesia to the SEA charter.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-03-16 at 06:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

People’s Holy Republic of Persia, Turn 1
    Spending Summary
    Wealth: 14 (3+6+5)
    Upkeep: 13
    Total: +1

Quote Originally Posted by WotC
    Armenian Conflict

Armenia and Azerbajan has resumed a long standing dispute over a region, a new government in both countries seeking to deliver a final blow to the other. Russian and Turkish interest are under threat as Kurds in Turkey and minors in Russia might seek to capitalize on this. Iran is also nearby and is likely to have some troubles near the border.

(potentially 1 economic damage and 1 population unhappy for all, which might spread.)
    In an earlier press conference the most holy Imam al-Jamil expressed worry for our brothers across the north western border of Azerbaijan and Armenia and has ordered the most devout armed forces to the border to protect both our interests and insure that our brethren are not harmed in this conflict.

An Expansive Economy

Under the social-economical plan provided by some of the top and brightest minds of our most holy nation the Imam al-Jamil seeks to solidify our station as a world power by expanding trade with foreign nations. He is quoted as saying “If we wish to further strengthen our position in this brave new world we will need to expand our influence through economic propositions, and most important of those economic actions is the increase of trade with our foreign brethren.” Since this announcement several diplomats have undergone diplomatic missions to several nations around the world offering economic proposals to their leaders.

So far proposals have been made to other powers in the holy lands in an effort to strengthen the ties that bind us,
    Proposals sent to Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Turkey, and if Turkey declines Azerbaijan.

Research: (Post #23 in the Dice Thread)
    Primary: Enhanced Fossil Fuel Extraction
    Secondary: Advanced Solar Cells

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ziyou News Agency

Minor Disturbances Reported in Outlying Provinces of the Chinese Union

Reports of minor civil disturbances and separatists movements have been reported in border regions of the Chinese Union recently. The Premier has has announced a new program to provide food and economic aid to these regions that were neglected under the former regime. Also, upcoming elections for Parliament will allow disaffected citizens in these regions a voice in government and allow redress of their grievances. The Premier has also emphatically stated that military forces will not be used to quell this dissent. "To use Chinese boys to kill other Chinese boys would be an atrocity, and I will not allow it," he stated in a recent address.

The Premier also stated that this is an internal Chinese matter, and any outside interference would not be tolerated.

Chinese Union Ratifies Constitution

The Chinese Union ratified its Constitution yesterday in a public ceremony to at the new Monument to Liberty in Tienanmen Square. Highlights include the stipulation that all military actions must be approved by a nationwide referendum. Any military action must meet with 75% approval to be conducted. Also, the Chinese government is prohibited from entering any military alliances with foreign powers.

China Unilaterally Disarms

The Premier announced today that China will voluntary dismantle all nuclear weapons and convert all delivery systems to conventional or civilian purposes. The cost savings from ceasing to maintain the arsenal will be devoted to civilian programs and the development of a so-called missile shield to project the Union.

Project Tai Yang Announced

Project Tai Yang was announced today by the TTC and the Council for Technological Advancement. The project is a massive effort to research, build, and deploy massive space based solar power networks. The project is designed to provide a clean and reliable source of power for the Chinese nation and allow economic growth unrestrained by access to fossil fuels and the potentially unsavory regimes that control them. Project Tai Yang promises to revolutionize the Chinese economy, and the development of new technologies for the project will also help the Union. Local non-aligned nations are also invited to apply as junior members in the Project in order to share energy and technology from the project.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Current and Completed Diplomacy Games

The excellent Gen. George S. Patton avatar courtesy of Tomb_Raven

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Mexican Space Agency Announces Cooperation On Project Tai Yang

The MSA will be assisting the Chinese in constructing their orbital power station from 2050 to 2060, with the Chinese finishing the last bit of the station in the early 2060's. The Chinese have generously reciprocated with a favorable trade flow.

((All three MSA points will assist the Chinese in building their orbital power station this turn and next turn, in exchange for 3 points of Chinese trade in turn 2.))

@Wizard:
    Turn 1 in a nutshell
    Spoiler
    Show

Turn 2 trade breakdown:
    Total: 16:17
    Nation: (Giving):(Receiving)
    Brazil: 5:5
    Argentina: 3:3
    Canada: 3:3
    South Africa: 1:1
    Central American Minor Powers: 2:1
    Caribbean Minor Powers: 2:1
    China: 0:3

Turn 1 budget:
    Net income after Global Free Trade: 22
    3 income from undisclosed sources
    1 wealth sent to Hispanic Liberation Front
    18 spent on economy (+6)
    Spoiler
    Show

CMJS To Become Latin-American Powerhouse

Several Provinces have voted to allocate large amounts of production to the construction of Nuclear, Geothermal and Tidal power plants, though the main focus is on Nuclear power. The CMJS makes sure that this is strictly for non-military purposes, and invites UN weapons inspectors to all of its construction sites. They also begin construction of huge electrical vehicle, motor and industrial equipment manufacturing plants, with the aim to make the CMJS completely independent of fossil fuel in the next five to ten years.

((Spending on economy is almost entirely directed at this))

4 spent on Civil (+2)
    Spoiler
    Show

CMJS moves toward the Transparent Society

The National Legislature passed a measure to require all legislators, provincial commanders and all levels of government operatives (with the minor exception of the CMJS Intelligence Agency, which is only outlined broadly) to monthly declare their actions, policies and spending online. The archives are available for all to see, and the citizens are encouraged to look over them should they have an issue with a representative. A hotline is established to handle allegations of wrongdoing, and a judicial organization is created to handle them.

((Spending on Civil))

2 spent on Tech (+1)
    Spoiler
    Show

Major Overhaul, Expansion of Higher Education

The CMJS university system is seeing a major remodeling, as the stuffy older system is replaced with a new system which focuses on innovation and learning-by-doing. The old system of lectures and study is still there, of course, but work-study activities are now strictly mandatory in the industrial sector, which is possible because the state runs both the schools and the factories. New funding pours in, though it is shunted mostly toward the hard sciences and engineering departments, but some does end up in the humanities. Grants are handed out freely for ideas that seem reasonable, and this is used to synergize with the CMJS's attempt to attract foreign expertise.

(Spending on Tech)

Other important policy:
    Spoiler
    Show

Provincial Legislatures Announce Completely Open Borders

Nearly all of the provinces have opened their borders to any sort of immigration from any country, with citizenship being freely granted to anyone who wants it. Additionally, an advertising campaign is launched worldwide about the professional and educational opportunities in the CMJS, and monetary and lease incentives are given to highly-qualified professionals that decide to emigrate to Mexico. Particular attention is given to material scientists, chemists, nanotechnologists, doctors and electrical engineers.

Socialized Childcare Now Operational

The CMJS has set up a country-wide system of boardinghouses and schools, that aims to allow any child to become a ward of the state and live a happy, well-cared for life. The aim here is to boost the birth rate by eliminating the abortion rate, because caring for the child will become a nonissue. The funding also allows a stipend for potential parents to pay for a child they may be considering regardless of their means, so material resources do not get in the way of family planning.

English, Portuguese, French Become Additional Official Languages

The National Legislature today approved a measure making English, Portuguese and French official languages of the CMJS, and instituting quadra-lingual education throughout the country. They feel the new official languages will allow them to better interact with their neighbors and conjure a sense of regional unity, as the four languages that are spoken most in Central America and the Caribbean are now on all government documents.

New stats, before DM boni, should be:
    Army: 9
    Navy:4
    Air: 5
    Space: 3
    Population: 3 (not sure about growth)
    Economy: 13
    Resources: 9
    Spy: 6
    Tech: 9
    Civil: 10
    Nuclear: 0
    Defenses: 2

Research Progress:
    Maybe complete
    Enhanced Fossil Fuel Extraction: 14 (+14 from cooperative research with Argentina, or 18 if cooperative research is limited by fastest partner): 28 or 32, depending

EDIT: If I may append an "if" statement-- if cooperative research is limited by the slowest partner (IE I'll have 28 in Enhanced fossil fuel extraction), I'll spend 2 less on Civil and pump the 2 wealth from that into Enhanced Fossil Fuel Extraction.

Nuclear Fusion: 3
    All others: 1
    Last edited by Maldiem; 2008-03-17 at 02:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

BlueKnightGuy

@Wizard: Note, there's a new budget below this

Bernardo O'Higgins IV Convenes International Neo-Communist Ex-workers' Association (INEA)

"It is evident that communism needs a new face for the 21st century. A corrupt regime claiming the name of communism has recently been deposed, as well it should have been, in China. A consistent failure in the implementation of proper communist ideologies has lead to a violent backlash against the movement for some years now. And yet, we have never needed its message more than we do now.

At the same time, we need a fresh interpretation of communism that is explicitly relevant to our modern world. Marx prophetically predicted the ultimate failure of the capitalist system. Marx did not give the bourgeoisie quite enough credit. I look at the future - the very near future - and I see one in which the bourgeoisie realizes it no longer needs the working class to produce capital. With the rapid rate of technological advance, almost all jobs that are currently done can be done as well or better with unpaid robots, the upkeep costs of which will be far less than the wages paid to workers. Once those who control the means of production realize they can cut most of the population out of the equation, there will be no more 'class mobility.' The former working class will exist in a permanent state of abject poverty.

The solution to this problem is a revolution. It is, however, a revolution of ideas that we need, not one of guns. Revolutions with guns have never really changed anything. Yes, revolutions with guns may be necessary to divest the propertied class of its interests, but we must succeed first and foremost in the revolution of ideas.

In a Neo-Communist Ex-workers' state, the means of production are controlled collectively. The state's production complex, unconstrained by the antiquated notion of profit and free from the rules of competition, is able to produce at levels impossible in a capitalist system. Every member of the state can have its basic needs - and a high degree of non-basic needs - met by the state's production complex.

And yet, work is the fundamental human activity. What will we do if we achieve this paradise? We will return to real work, that is what we will do. The degrading menial labor which we have too long regarded as work is not work fit for the dignity of the human hand. We will return to the work that makes us human, the work that nurtures us and fulfills us. We will be clergy, we will be scholars, we will be poets, we will be musicians, we will be athletes, we will be husbands and wives; we will be lovers. We will be men, we will be women, and we will be children.

In this spirit, I call all those of like mind to join INEA and work to spread our revolution. My own Argentine people have graciously agreed to provide our organization with a headquarters in Buenos Aires. All who come with an open mind will be received with an open heart.

Re-Revised 2051-2055 Budget (With new fluff!)

15 Wealth - 13 upkeep = +2
    Global free trade = +14
    Sale of one army, one air each to Burkina Faso, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Cote d'Ivoire, and Liberia = +20
    Total = 36

-14: 7 points of spy

These 7 points of spy are mostly invested in the creation of the INEA HQ, which will serve as a base of operations and elite training facility for the element of my covert operations that involves the spread of INEA-ideology and grassroots organization in other countries.

-12: 4 points of economy

Argentina's modest investment in economy is enough to keep it one step ahead of rising upkeep costs. Most of this is directed towards the production of the heavy equipment needed to take full advantage of the resources made available in the coming years through Enhanced Fossil Fuel Extraction. Other areas of interest include increasing the food surplus and expanding the high-tech industry for trade with foreign powers.

-8: 4 points of tech

Research universities are expanded across the state, and the cutting edge of technology is brought to all corners of the country. No home is left without high-speed internet access, and the rail system is vastly improved so as to nearly make obsolete the use of cars.

-2: 1 point of civil

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

edit: Bit about the arms deal to rebels is no longer applicable - it was stopped before it happened.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2008-03-18 at 06:31 PM. Reason: revised Africa situation
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

New Indian Democracy

A small, balding brown man wearing glasses stands in front of a podium, surrounded by professional bodyguards. "In this time of troubles, India must make its voice heard. We applaud the Chinese for their recent democratic advances. Truly, with such a shining example of progress, with such a fundamental reversal... How can anyone sit in the darkness, contemplating violence?"

He shakes his head sadly, his hands gripping his podium. "We all must grow up! Please, all of you with armies in the field.... Think of those sons and daughters of your country... think of their bravery, their skill... but most of all, think of how much life they have yet to live! Let your young, your promise of the future... Let them see peace, once again! Please. The world already cries out from the attack on the peaceful people of the Ukraine... join your voices to the choir of peace, not the discord of fear, hatred, and violence!"

He pauses again. "We do not see a way to end this, except through negotiation. But know... your decisions on this matter take place on the world stage. All will see, and judge you, not just by your intentions, but by the results."

He stops for a moment, and visibly relaxes. "I am sorry for my vehemence, but this is a topic on which I feel very strongly. Now. On to another matter of import. Religion. Religion is a wonderful thing. It can lead one to a greater reverence for all things, and this is right and proper. However, one must constantly strive to see others as equals. Religion does not make you better than your fellows... and should drive you to help them. Not just help them find faith, but genuinely help them."

He stops, smiles. "Look at me, educating again." He chuckles. "I will get to the point. All religions should be treated with respect, and admiration. For they all are means to the same end... internal revelation, and answers to the hardest questions. To promote dialogs between the faiths, I am hereby beginning a great project... the Street of Faiths. We shall clear the land, and provide a site of serenity and calm for each of the largest faiths, and a grant of land also for the minor faiths to call home. We invite all faiths to our land, to talk, and grow in understanding of one another."

Smiling, he bows to the camera, opening his arms, seeming to bow to the entire world through the camera. He straightens, pushes up his glasses, and walks off stage right.

-General plans for the project are projected on the screen, in full animation, with a camera high above apparently looking down on a collection of different styles, recognizable adaptions of classic temple and church designs. There are 9 buildings, each with its own label... a larger tract of land with areas laid out for up to 50 smaller buildings, and a large outside amphitheater, a primitive amphitheater designed from modern materials, with a transparent dome overtop, which fogs momentarily (active gel for blocking sky) to a marble-like appearance.-

Later in the week, several other changes are announced, as follow-ups to the general Indian initiative promoting peace in its region and beyond. A special economic zone is established Jamshedpur, with any and all Burmese laborers given work visas.

Mega-Projects :

1) Street of Faiths : Located in Bhopal, an area with a checkered past, now site to the already fairly impressive combination monument and environmental reclamation project (See Bhopal industrial accident). With large areas of Bhopal touted as recently as 10 years ago as completely recovered (also completely bulldozed and naturified with specific plants designed to beautify and heal the area).
    Spoiler
    Show
    7 buildings : Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, primal-indigenous religions, African Traditional & Diasporic

1 Larger Expanse of land for all other faiths, divided by strategic natural barriers, false treelines, etc.

1 main ampitheater - area for debate, designed acoustically to deaden everyone equally, microphones placed at all seats, controlled by a main switchboard.

beautiful parks, etc.

2) An immense project dealing primarily with alteration of the Dam blocking waterflow to Burma from India, shoring up the rivers and increasing waterflow past the dam, while upgrading its efficiency to make up for any fall in energy output (read some Burma-India history for info).

Orders
    Spoiler
    Show

Budget, 2051-2055

Trade : (I give : I get, spoilered for space)
    Spoiler
    Show

Pakistan 3:3
    Mayanmar 2:2
    Nepal 1:1
    Burma 2:1
    Iran 3:3
    Khazikstan 2:2
    Thailand 2:2
    Saudi Arabia 2:2
    Oman 1:1
    Afghanistan 2:2

Trade : +19
    Wealth : +15+15+5
    Upkeep : -23
    Total Income : 31

Improving Stats :
    4pts - Espionage + 2
    4pts - Tech +2
    2pts - Civil +1

Civil Investments

2 Wealth - Helping uplift our skilled laborers to teaching and management positions. Subsidized learning.

2 Wealth - Private business loans for economic investment.

1 Wealth - Funding student exchange programs between various areas of India, local neighbors (Pakistan, Burma, Malaysia, Nepal mainly, overtures to others, but funding for these main 4)

Mega Projects : (not secret, spoilered for space)
    Spoiler
    Show

Street of Faiths : 15 Pts

To a certain degree (security reasons), all plans are publicly available. Details available include the appearance of both the outside of the buildings, and the insides of the public spaces within. Modifications are subject to vote, with those most highly voted for brought to the attention of the engineers in command of the various buildings.

7 wealth invested equally in building 7 buildings : Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, primal-indigenous religions, African Traditional & Diasporic

1.5 Wealth - Larger Expanse of land for all other faiths, divided by strategic natural barriers, false treelines, etc.

2 Wealth - Ampitheater

0.5 Wealth - Beautification, establishment of gardens, orchestra building, tourist booth, etc.

4 Wealth invested - Establishing funding for a private security force, neutral in all regards and with a reputation for sterling honesty. They have agreed to give up all other contracts and focus entirely on providing security for this site. (Basically 2 points espionage, but totally devoted to counter-intelligence : mission : uncover attacks on the Street of Faith.)

Dam modifications - 5 Wealth - Construction is projected to complete in the next 5 years, with significant increase in the waterflow to the people of Burma.

Technology : 11 Dice
    Primary : Greenhouse Reduction - 20
    Secondary : Synthetic Foods - 6
    Tertiary : Genetic Medicine - 1

Espionage : 8 Dice

blocked : esp 2
    Spoiler
    Show

blocked : esp 4
    Spoiler
    Show

blocked : esp 6
    Spoiler
    Show

blocked : esp 10
    Spoiler
    Show

Blocked (last) esp 15
    Spoiler
    Show

As a preface, I would like to say, before sending these ops teams, first I ask my advisors : is this even possible. So, lemme know if itll actually do anything :)

Massive Insertion of Special Ops teams into Burma, cover as returning laborers, co-ordination through student sharing plan, extra trade.
    Primary : Secrecy : 15
    Secondary Mission : 5 Infiltrate and 'turn' the Burmese Intelligence Network
    Tertiary Mission : 2 Train and organize pro-india 'democratic' rebels. No overt actions to be taken.

Diplomacy :

Diplomats at all embassies up their general level of activity, visiting local religious leaders, asking them to send scholars to the Street of Faiths once it is completed (2055).

Diplomats travel to China, hoping to open up trade negotiations, cultural exchange, et cetera.

Diplomats travel to Pakistan, basically showing interest in opening talks. Their first question : What does Pakistan want, and how can India help?

Diplomats travel to Nepal with no specific mission, merely wishing not to leave them out, and construct some safe topics of discussion for that purpose

Diplomats travel to Burma to discuss possible construction of a Railroad through Burma, with joint funding by India and Burma, completely under Burmese control.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-03-18 at 01:00 AM.