New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Crossing the Worldwalls: Prologue [IC]

Huu walks through the ship, taking a casual tour of the place. He walks onto the deck again to take in the smell of the sea, and turns back eventually to find his room. He then scratches his chin, "This ought to be comfy."
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Descending into the ship, Hargil searches for the smallest, most compact room available. He doesn't possess much in the ways of material goods, and as such needs very few things to live with. After finding his room, he sits down and meditates. Turning his soul inwards, he psionically focuses his mind, and then returns on deck.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Erasmus responds to the ship with sheer amazement.

"I must admit this is beyond all my expectations..."

He chooses a room and enters, setting his few possessions on the shelves- the life of a monk is necessarily frugal, even a member of the Order of the Torch. Placing his crossbow and spear near the bed, he then wanders off for a casual tour of the ship (which could take some time, given the apparently infinite size...)

Spoiler
    Show
    What do I know about the Mistwalkers? Knowledge (Planes) (1d20+14)[29]- that's assuming they're extraplanar.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vaguely wishing he had a drink handy, Talask glanced around, and found a decanter on a table nearby. It was filled with a rather nice wine form some unknown world, and Talask poured himself a drink, before starting slightly and looking up at the others in a slightly sheepish manner.

"Forgive my bad manners. Would anyone else like a drink?"

after getting drinks for those who wanted them, talask turned to regard Azariah
    "So, how does a woman go about aquiring a name like the Blind Observer'?. It is a most intresting juxsposition." He said, looking at the blue skinned woman who was now wandering around the central room.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scribe, just how do you pronouce Azariah? I've been mentally bugging me for a while now (i'm that sort of guy). I'm going with Az-ar-re-ah, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-03-17 at 09:45 AM.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah

Azariah takes a glass, and, cautiously, as if not knowing how much it will go to her head, takes a minute sip.

Er ... well, it's a fairly embarassing story. I was put - or, rather, ended up, since one couldn't exactly say that there was anyone to guide me - in charge of a demiplanar vessel used for ... confidential matters in the ethereal plane. I ... I ... will you promise not to judge me for telling you?

Spoiler
    Show
    Azz-a-ree-ah, I believe. Whoops, I've just checked, and you were right.

Also,

Fort (1d20+5)[23] against the effects of alcohol. Because I feel like it.

6. - Top - End - #36

An eyebrow rose inquisitivly on talasks face as he took a drink of the wine. It was suprisingly good.

"I promise I will judge you by what you are now, not what you were then." He said smoothly.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

could just as easily have been Az-ar-rye-ah, or Az-ar-eye-ah, or A-zar-re-ah, or any of a multiude different pronouciations of the same spelling in english. I guessed you'd gone for a near-phonetic spelling, but who can tell in fanasty naming? I still don't have a clue how to pronouce a Certain Famous Dark Elf's last name correctly.

this is pretty much the reason we're all using time lord code names.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-03-17 at 04:44 PM.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah

I fear that I may not have changed a great deal, I'm afraid.

She laughs.

But I'll try. So, my story ... I was the sole crew member still alive aboard the Observation, and was looking after it all by myself. I happened to be in orbit over Waterdeep - you know the city? - when I became somewhat distracted by an interesting treatise that I had found in the hold. I ... I forgot to, well, pilot the craft.

It fell. It came down out of the sky over the great city. Can you imagine it? The potential damage that could be caused by piloting a demiplane on a collision course into a major city; it was unthinkable. It was only the action of the Shields that saved all those ...

At this point, she breaks off, and reasserts herself.

But it didn't crash, and that's what matters. That's why I have this name, too - a spy who never sees anything - and am here, too. It was thought better to send me off before I break something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, they're not fantasy names at all. Just a convenient outlet for all those long, long hours that I spent learning Biblical Hebrew - it's a piece of hiriq pointing.

8. - Top - End - #38

when asked about waterdeep, talask smiled and shook his head.

"Persuit of Knowledge is always a worthy task, and gaining practical expereince is, as well. The Fates move in misterious ways. but think of it as this: if you had not been so enraptured by this book, you would still be alone on this demiplane, and may have stayed there till the end of your days."

Talask gestured at the ship around them.
    "Here, you can put your skills to a use that benifits all the planes."

the slightest hint of a frown crossed Talask's face.
    "or at least Galifrey..."

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

9. - Top - End - #39

For Illiterate's Eyes ONLY
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Please, it is not necessary. Old habits are hard to to break, this I know. But it is not your fault. It was I who was unable to put you at ease."

((And due to the fact that you only drank a small amount, you find yourself completly unaffected by the wine.))

For Morkais' Eyes ONLY
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Mistwalkers are a race normally never seen by mortals who have never traveled beyond their homeworld. They are the only race naturally able to travel the Mists between worlds, and because of this, it is impossible for multiple beings to travel it together without being accompanied by one of the Mistwalkers. In their true form, their bodies are featureless, and seem to be made of dense fog, and are often mistaken for wraiths.

"I would not drink too much of that, if I were you." Silvera warns the samurai after appearing front of the console. "That is Blackbark wine from the world of Blamakar. It is well known to bestow infertility on thse that drink more then a single glass." She lets out a knowing smile as everyone eyes the drink.

Before she can say anymore, the sound of a foghorn reverberates through the room. It looks like it is time for us to be heading off. If you all want to step out on the deck, you will see a very interesting sight.

Anyone who walks out notices that the foghorn is quickly getting louder. After it goes off a few more times, the blue sky up above fades quickly into black, allowing thousands of stars to shine through. The actual ship sails out of the docks, and when it is about to go into the fog, a blue light begins to pulsate from the top of the ship's lighthouse; accompanied by what sounds like ((as Morkais put it)) keys being scraped up and down a piano's bass strings. The ship sails into the fog, and you can tell there is nothing more to be seen.

"Now that we are on our way, I can brief you on your first mission. Silvera says once everyone has once again made themselves comfortable in the main room. "The world we are heading to is called Kanitha; ritually known to its poeple as 'The Empire of the Dragon'. The important thing to keep in mind is that the people are in the middle of a civil war that has lasted for over a hundred years. The two factions are known as the Luxons and the Kurzicks. They have no idea why they are fighting anymore, and because of this, you must be careful.

"Your mission is investigate the actions of a wizard known as Yeago Dornahall, and if necessary, put a stop to them. He arrived on Kanitha some time ago, and has been manipulating the battles of the civil war for his own ends. No one is sure exactly what he is doing, so that is why you are being sent in."

((Well, that took me longer then I hoped to post up, but here it is.))
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then, that seems like an interesting tale... but could we learn more about this wizard perhaps? Are we supposed to just neutralize this person and be done with, or is he preferred alive?"

Hargil slowly crosses the room to the porthole, glancing out at the strange miasma of colors.

11. - Top - End - #41

Talask thought about the mission for a moment, then fired off a barrage of questions.

"Where is this wizard is currently? How close can this ship take us? Does Dornahall have any known allies that could help him? How close to the front lines will we be? How much will we stand out as outsiders? Is Dornahall aware he's being watched by the Sheilds? Do we have maps of the area?"

Spoiler
    Show

we're going to the Guild Wars planet? coolio. out of intrest, how many other well established settings are we going to visit?

don't actaully expect answers to most of those questions, it just the sort of things talask would ask.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

12. - Top - End - #42

"The last place he was seen was in western Kanitha, in Kaineng City. I will be able to get you as far as the docks. Unfortunatly, This ship can only travel the waters."

"As far as we can tell, Dornahall must have contacts from both of the factions, due to the fact can he can manuipulate both sides. We have no idea what he is up to, so if you need to stop him, the method is up to you."

"And don't worry about blending in, there are ways to disguise yourself on board."

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

13. - Top - End - #43

"A Wizard, you say? Then we may have to be careful- he vould have some more subtle means of detection than his own senses. I imagine the Observer may be able to help us here- is that right?"

Erasmus seems glad to be on his mission at last, and particularly interested to se how other worlds differ from his own.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, this ought to be easy enough. Don't suppose you have some more native apparel? Can't rightly go out there in a pinstripe suit and robe-can we?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, Silvera did say this ship had a way of disguising us... I don't feel or look any different than a few moments ago, so I believe the ship either does this magically, or perhaps we all gain items that disguise us or such."
    Last edited by Neftren; 2008-03-20 at 06:34 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

"I imagine the Shields have quite a range of apparel suitable to most locations... I wonder, though- would my habit be inconspicuous in the area?"

17. - Top - End - #47

"Well, I don't have a way to disguise your features, but there is a wardrobe." She points to one of the doors leading out of the room. "Through there, then take the first left, second right, third on the left, go straight ahead, under the stairs, past the bins, fifth door on your left." She she chuckles and shakes her head, making sure that you've got it all down.

"The Kanithan garb should be on the racks at the front. There are alternate versions of your mundane equipment as well. Can't change your magic items though. You'll just need to do your best to keep them inconspicuous."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd write more, but I'm dead tired. I'll be sure to get some more up tomorrow though.

Also, for some examples of Kanithan garb, these links should be most helpful.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

After a bit of searching for the right costume, Huu emerges wearing what he finds suits him best. His confident smile matches his new suit. "Fantastic."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sanz the mask and probably gloves. Just black and brown, too.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Choosing a cross between several outfits of varying colors, Hargil settles upon his traditional colors of Black, Green and White. He nods at the others selecting their outfits, hoping he won't appear too out of place.

Spoiler
    Show
    I won't be around until Thursday, so consider me partially NPC'ed until then. I'll see if I can check back in, but probably won't be able to until then.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah

One moment;

Azariah says to Erasmus, as she heads off in the direction indicated by Silvera.
    Discreet, you say?

She returns with a bundle under her arms, and goes into her room.

A shouted stream of consciousness ensues from Azariah's chamber, over the clattering of belongings being shifted about.
    What you said, Academe - it is indeed possible for me to imbue a certain subtlety that will enable us to go about relatively unmolested by prying diviners, but, due to its use of copious quantities of soul-essence, isn't exactly a long-term solution for use on all five of us. One possibility would be to shield the worldship as it enters Kaineng; that could give us the chance to become simply members of the crowd. Also, you are skilled in the use, and creation, of divine scrolls, are you not? Given the time, I could certainly set in motion a series of events that would allow you to access this spell.

Azariah walks out of the room, now bedecked in loose Kanithian robes. She is still clutching one of the long stone rods that she carries everywhere, and elicits a mild tingling in those nearby.

Well, I hope that this isn't too atypical for Kaineng. Silvera - how magically advanced are the Kanithians - will we need to hide all spellcasting from them, or just the more egregious items?

Spoiler
    Show
    In mechanics terms, I could cast nondetection out of a spellstoring item, but that costs XP. Alternatively, I could scribe a trickery-domain scroll of the same spell, thereby giving me access to it, and then contribute the spell, along with the crafting XP from reserve, towards Erasmus' crafting of a divine scroll of nondetection, which he could then move to his spellbook. But that's not as catchy.

Also, from what I remember of my short time spent playing GW at a friend's house, aren't Monks the supporting/buffing profession? As such, Azariah's disguised as one of these.

21. - Top - End - #51

"that may not be needed. If Dornahall may not be expecting the Sheilds to come after him, and we not need to disguise our entry into the world, as he won't be looking for it. Silvera, is it likey that Dornahall is expecting the Sheilds to follow him? is he even aware of the Shields?" Talask was looking at some of the armour suits in the canvous room as he spoke, and realised that his own suits stylings were broadly similar to several local types. He could likey get away with his magic plate armour without too much comment.

Spoiler
    Show

I can't really see talask sucessfuly disguising himself as a local anyway, what with his deeply Nightfall skin tones ( ), western styled platemail, and japanese katanas, so his best bet would to simply play on his outsider nature and claim to be a traveler seeking work.

that, and hiding like that is hardly very honourable.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah
    I don't know. I would just be a little concerned that, if he detects any extraplanar traffic, it would instantly set him on guard.

She shrugs.

Still, I'm sure that, should the worst come to the worst, our good friend Yeago can be confronted directly - peacefully or otherwise.

23. - Top - End - #53

Erasmus walks off and, after extensive seraching, finds some clothes that cover his armour, which he keeps on underneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Erasmus now looks like this.

Bit ridiculous that they don't have any proper Monk robes, in my view...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah

Walking over to the window, Azariah accidentally bumps into the table, nearly spilling the bottle of wine, but just catching it again.

She spends a long time just staring out of the porthole, into the fog, but then turns to Silveras.

I may regret asking this, but what plane are wo on, exactly?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Huu shares the view with Azariah, looking out at the world and picking his own brain for facts about the world about the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (the planes): (1d20+10)[17]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah
    Amazing, isn't it? I'd heard of spelljamming, and transport via the Plane of Shadow, but this .... it's different.

So, what brings you to work with the Shields, then, if I may be so bold as to ask?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Snapping out of a strange trance, Hargil appears to be awake again. "Aye, perhaps we'd all like to share our stories? I don't mind starting. I am a member of an elite order on my home plane, in which I exclusively hunt demons. I'm generally dispatched to get rid of the big ones, and I've become a sort of folk legend, with me being known simply as The Blackrose, for leaving a single black rose on the body of any demon I kill." Hargil opens the dark cloak he carries, revealing several black roses under his cloak.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah
    But what happens if you run out? Would you not be able to kill any demons until you had found some more?
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-03-28 at 07:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"Rest assured, I will not run out. I usually only leave them on major kill scenes, so the average demon will not be given the honor of a rose, not that it's an honor to be dead in the first place." Hargil grins at Azariah.

30. - Top - End - #60

"A demon hunter, you say? Interesting... I too am a member of an elite order- of a sort- known as the Order of the Torch. We guard my planet, keep the people safe from dangerous creatures- and dangerous knowledge. At least, that is the intention- some members are somewhat less dedicated to aiding the people than they should be. My own specialisation was as a specialist in occult and arcane knowledge- I have some expertise in that area (mainly, I must admit, in strategies for defeating extraplanar creatures), which I hope to bring to the Shields."