New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default War of the Burning Sky IC

Having been given a message by a member of the resistance to meet with a cleric named Torrent, you arrive at the Poison Apple Pub slightly before midnight on New Years Eve. The streets are surprisingly empty in this poorer part of town, but the coming war has put a damper on the celebration.

You case the outside of the establishment and find that it is a two story building with a bridge connecting to another two story building. Both buildings are dark with no sign of life in the cloudy windows. The front door has a notice on it that reads:

Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple Pub, has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard, until such time that he can be questioned by representatives of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of hostile collusion. The Poison Apple Pub is hereby closed until further notice.”

You crunch through old snow as you go around to the side entrance as instructed by the messenger. You knock and a female opens the door slightly to see who it is. She lets you in with a resolute smile, saying,"Good to see you. Come in, have a seat and we will discuss things as soon as the entire company has arrived." She gestures to a table with a lamp, a map, several mugs, and a small keg of beer. "Help yourself to the libation. Just because we’re about to go to war doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the new year."

You look around the rest of the pub and see:
    The darkened pub is mostly empty now, its many tables and chairs pushed to one wall and covered with sheets. A single table sits in the middle of the room, with enough chairs for all of you. A small oil lamp and a keg sit on top of it, along with several mugs. At the back corner of the common room beside the bar, a staircase leads upstairs. The windows and door facing onto the street are closed, and you know they have been boarded up from the outside. On the wall behind the bar hangs a bronze bust of the former emperor of Ragesia, Drakus Coaltongue, a regal, aged half-orc with a scar cutting diagonally across his face. You and Torrent are the only people in the room.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: War of the Burning Sky IC

Rex Armiger strides confidently into the pub, his red robe spotless despite the slush in the streets outside. He starts to greet Torrent politely, until he sees the bust hanging behind the bar. Furious, he pushes past Torrent and pulls the bust off the wall, then throws it out into the street. He turns to address
    Torrent.
    I'm Rex Armiger. When my ancestors built this city they didn't intend for us to bow down to evil monsters.
    He sits down at the head of the table, still fuming.
    Last edited by gareth; 2008-03-10 at 02:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Van comes trudging up to the door, a small object is suddenly hurled toward him. Van dodges out of the way and starts to draw his longsword, when he takes a moment to examine the object. Then he kicks it to the side with irreverence and continues on.

"Good day, milady," says Van as he bows and kisses the hand of the woman who lets him in, "I am called Van. Van the Dissapointment to my family, Van the Wanted to the Shahalesti authorities, Van the Unfortunate to anyone who cares to listen to the truth, but you may simply call me Van. And just who might you be?" He smiles warmly and waits for the woman to answer, still holding her hand. Even if it were obviously the cleric that he had been told of, it would only be polite to make introductions first.
    Last edited by Methates; 2008-03-10 at 05:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Duglan walks cautiously over to the pub wondering to himself how he got mixed up with this so called resistance. He could here his fathers voice now, Yer walkin' inta trouble, and these aren't even clanfolks.

"Thank ya, kindly, ma'am," Duglan says to the lady as he enters and finds himself a seat.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #5

Torrent laughs as Rex throws the bust into the street. "Well, that used to be there as a sort of mocking gesture of his failed occupancy of Gate Pass, but maybe it's time for a change of traditions. Just don't try to pull down the 90 foot one in the middle of town." As tall and strong as the typical warrior, Torrent is a distinctive looking woman with tanned skin and short white hair. Under a dark winter coat she wears a breastplate decorated with blue wave-like etchings, and a holy symbol to Seaqean tied to her wrist with a leather cord. Her demeanor is smooth but forceful, like an ocean wave.

Torrent shakes Van's hand, comprehension dawning in her eyes as Van introduces himself. "Good moon to you my Elven friend. My name is Torrent, a name given to me at my monastery on my Wanderer's day. I would hear your story but maybe not in these circumstances. Let's hope the others arrive equally as early."

Torrent is pleased when another knock comes from the door, she opens it a bit and let's the dwarf in. I see this will be a multicultural expedition. Well met, Duglan."

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's have listen and spot checks also. I like to keep these up to date usually.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

Claire walks the street cautiously, her cloak covering her weapon, hidden but still in range in case of need. She arrives at the pub, said to be the meeting place, and gives a quick look to the two buildings towering over her. What a gloomy place, she thinks, giving a faint smile. Giving another quick glance to the notice on the front door, Claire heads to the side entrance.

"Hello, miss, I assume you are Torrent ?", Claire says to the woman who opens the door, entering the tavern while doing so. Seeing everyone and relaxing a little, her hand moving away from her morningstar, she continues: "You can call me Claire. Seems I am one of the last ones to arrive, am I not ? I hope you haven't waited for a long time."

After hearing everyone's names, Claire proceeds to take a seat in the table, taking a good look on the people she would soon be working to stop her parents' murderers' lust for conquest.
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-03-10 at 03:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

A tall young man enters the room just a moment after the woman. He is heavily armed, wearing a large sword at his side and a handaxe tucked into his belt. If one were to look at his other side, 4 small axes are laced across his back.

Ah, it seems that you are not quite the last one. I am sorry for any inconvenience my lateness may have caused. You may call me Gerran. I am a follower of the Way of the Nine Swords and offer my full abilities to the resistance. I suppose it runs in the family...

He inclines his head in greeting and smiles cheerfully. He sits down quietly and peers around at the other people present.
    Fun fact: My school gets the first day of buck season off.

Thanks to Sneak for the awesome, dual-wielding avatar

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Van gives another bow and takes his seat at the table. He holds one of the mugs up to his nose and takes a sniff, then makes a face. Slowly, he puts it back down.

"Van Veranti," he says to the others as he meets them. He eyes the beer warily, as it occurs to him that even if it's not as high quality as he likes, it might be the best he will have for quite some time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Another knock at the door is revealed to be a medium heighted man wearing a dark blue bandana. He walks in quickly, saying "Sorry I'm late, just had to finish up some business. Name's Garret, glad to meet almost all of you." His smoldering gaze turns towards Van as he takes a seat across from the elf, although he doesn't say anything to him. "Shall we get started?"
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2008-03-10 at 05:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

As you all settle at a table and Torrent makes sure that all mugs are full, Torrent and Claire tilt their heads towards the sounds of bells ringing. Soon, everyone hears the faint, but distinct ringing of church bells from all around the city.

Torrent grimaces and straightens in her chair, saying, “That’s one year gone. I guess it’s time to get down to business.

“The city’s in trouble. The Ragesian army is marching on us, and will be here by tomorrow. Before then, we have a mission.

“I used to study at a magic academy to the south, called Lyceum. They’re good people. So when word reached them about Ragesia’s ‘Scourge,’ they
    sent out messages calling for anyone fleeing Ragesia to come to them. They
    want to stand against the Ragesians, and the resistance wants their help. We just need to get a message to them.

“Normally we would have sent something by teleporting courier, but something strange is going on with planar magic. The last courier who teleported into Gate Pass, rumor is that he showed up burnt to a crisp. Not that I have that sort of magic anyway, but if we’re going to talk to Lyceum, we’re going to have to go overland. And that’s a problem, because the city’s walls are sealed.

“Ever since their emperor died, the Ragesians have been trying to show that they’re not weak, and they’re marching an army in our direction, since the mountain pass we’re in is apparently ‘strategically valuable.’ Either way, a few idiots on the city council want to negotiate with the Ragesians, and rumor is they’re going to invite a group of inquisitors into the city to look for ‘magic-users who are hostile to the empire.’ They’ve sealed the gates of the city so no one can get out, to make sure they look like they’re cooperating, and only military personnel can get in or out.

“We’re going to have to get out of the city, and I’m open to suggestions on how. Once we’re out, I can get us safely to Lyceum, but before we get ahead of ourselves, we have a mission tonight.

“The short version is that we’ve got to meet a contact — a gnome named Rivereye Badgerface — in about an hour at a guarded depository about
    a half-mile from here. He’s carrying a case of vital military intelligence which he stole from the Ragesian palace, and the heads of the resistance think that
    it needs to reach Lyceum. We’ve got to get that case, get out of the city, and get far away from here before the idiot city council lets the Ragesian inquisitors in. Once that happens, the odds of us escaping are —“
    she finishes off her mug of beer in one long guzzle “— slim.

“I know I’d love to stay here and fight against the Ragesians, but I’m no soldier, and this mission might be more important. Worst case, you get away from the Ragesians and we can part ways a few days down the road. Best case, you can come with me to Lyceum, and we come back with an army of our own to drive off the Ragesians. But we’ve got to act fast either way. Are you ready for this?”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

Having not touched her mug of beer, Claire listens closely to the information given by her fellow cleric, nodding once in a while in agreement.

"Damm this stupid council. They know nothing about those beasts. I'm in on anything to stop these fiends' madness. I'll go with you to this academy you talk about, Lyceum."

Claire remains silent for some minutes, thinking hard about their options, and paying attention to the others' reactions to this information. Then, she says:

"I don't have much ideas for a escape route, because I only got here some days ago, and don't know much about the land around here or the city itself. However, would'nt it be possible to go through the mountains ? Maybe the Resistance knows of some hidden path or cave that is easy to travel... Based on my little knowledge of these lands, that is the best option I could think about. Well, I'm sure someone will have a good idea. For now, we should go meet with this gnome fellow."
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Van furrows his brow as he sees the glare on Garret's face, but chooses not to say anything. While Torrent speaks, Van tries to take a strong swig of the beer in front of him. It takes all of his control not to spit it back out, or make a face, but he manages to get it down.

"A guarded depository? Sneaking out of the city? Getting away from the Ragesians before they take over the town? You can consider me interested"
    says Van once Torrent finishes speaking. "Tell us more about the guarded depository you mentioned..."

13. - Top - End - #13

BardGuy

Garret locks eyes with Van for a moment, then looks back to Torrent. "Ready as I'll ever be. Best escape route I can tell is to get outta here before anyone notices us." Giving what could be mistaken for a smile he adds to Van "You elves are good at escaping unseen, right? This'll be perfect for you."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gerran listens intently and then smile broadly. He leans back easily in his chair, radiating a false aura of confidence.

Aye, you can count me in for anything that will keep this city free. That's the most important there is. As for possible escape routes, I've been here my whole life. I imagine I could pull up one or two secret ways out if I think hard enough on it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Local-(1d20+4)[18]

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Duglan downs his mug thirstily as the plan is revealed and he listens as the others speak their peice. "Seeing as how I don't want to be stuck inside this city when the army gets 'ere, you can count me in," Duglan says. He opens his mouth as if to say more but thinks better of it. He rubs the hilt of his father ax to reassure himself of his decision.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex looks disappointed as the other adventurers enter. He mutters under his breath, something about "the best and the brightest". When Torrent finishes talking he nods in agreement.
    I'd love to stay here and fight off the Empire single-handedly, but I'm not quite that powerful yet. I'll come along, see how Lyceum can help me. I could try to charm a guard into letting us leave the city. As for this gnome, it could easily be a trap. We should only have one person approach him. The rest of us should hide within weapons range, or charging distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check (1d20+1)[3]
    Listen Check (1d20+1)[9]

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

Garret agrees with Rex. "Charming guards means not having to kill them. No messy body cleanup. Good plan." Garret seems ready to go, finishing off his drink and gathering himself together.
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2008-03-11 at 03:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

Strongly looking the red-robbed man in his blue eyes, as if trying to read his mind, Claire half-heartly agrees with his suggestion:

"I don't like charming enemies. An enemy left alive is an enemy that will return to cause trouble later. However, in the current circunstances, that may be our best bet." After a brief silence, she continues, "What you say about the gnome being a trap is true. We have to be cautious. I could be the 'bait', if no one else is willing to go. I don't have much experience in combat, though, so it's better if it is someone who can defend himself better." Claire finishes looking to the dwarf and the great axe he carries.

Claire then stands up, without ever touching her mug of beer, "At any rate, we should go soon. Time is a precious resource that we do not have."
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-03-11 at 07:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gerran scowls as his companions discuss possible plans. He leans forward in his chair and wears a serious look on his face.

Since when were the innocent guards of Gate Pass our enemy? I refuse to participate in the slaughter of my fellow citizens of this fine city. And growing up in this city has left me with a good amount of knowledge about its workings. Walking out of this city would be just plain impossible, and even sneaking out would be just about as hard as can be. I think this task will be much harder than you all seem to think. As for suggestions, all I can say is I will not participate in the killing of any guards. Perhaps looking for the least guarded door?

He sits back in thought, frustrated with his lack of solid ideas.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

"I am sorry if this is your hometown and if it is so important to you that you won't kill any of it's guards, but let me tell you something; my hometown was burned and destroyed by those damned beasts. If the guards of Gate Pass are not on our side and will even try to stop us, then yes, they are our enemy, and I will not hesitate to kill them to reach my goal. No, our goal. Which is, if you have so quickly forgotten, to protect this same city, and others, against those cursed monsters."

Claire seems pretty pissed at Gerran's response, thinking he is not seeing the whole picture and forgetting more important matters to protect only a few guardsmen.
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-03-11 at 08:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

To Claire's question Garret replies "I'll volunteer, these weapons ain't just for show." He can't place why Claire seems angry, but then again, women were never his strong point.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

A puzzled look crosses Gerran's face as he answers the young woman's reply.

While I'm not sure why the notion of not killing innocent guards, who are just doing what they have been told to, do angers you so much, I would say killing the men in charge of keeping our enemies out of the city would not go a long way towards protecting it. They have done nothing to harm us, are members of the city we are trying to protect, and have the ability to keep the Ragesians out. They sound a lot like allies to me. I am sure that there would be a way to escape the city without unnecessary bloodshed, although you seem to be opposed to that idea...

Gerran shakes his head, bemused at the fiery young woman sitting across from him. "Is she really that anxious to murder innocent guardsmen?" he thinks to himself in confusion.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Claire

With a harsh look to Gerran, Claire answers, sitting down again, seeing as they would not be leaving as soon as she though:

"What angers me is not the notion of not killing guards, fool, but the notion of failing or lenghtening our mission just because you couldn't bear to kill an innocent for a greater good. We are talking about a war here. These monsters will not leave you, or anyone, alone just because you showed compassion. And it doesn't matter if they are just following orders, they are still making things harder for us. And their ability to keep the Ragesians out ? I'm not so sure about that. Wasn't the city invaded in the past ? That's not a good example of keeping them out, is it ?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gerran is truly astonished at the anger this young woman he hardly knows is harboring against him. He chuckles to himself before answering.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from throwing childish insults at me, as we have just met and I would hate for discord to ruin this team so early on. I certainly don't consider myself a fool, and really don't enjoy being called one. That being said, you are correct that Gate Pass was invaded, and then its citizens threw the Ragesians out in a very short time. Many good men lost their lives to preserve the well-being of this city, and to kill some of its guards just for presenting us with an inconvenience would make that sacrifice meaningless. Killing when necessary is one thing, but the cold-blooded murder of men who are trying their very hardest to keep us safe is another. Your determination is admirable, but there is a certain line that must not be crossed when reaching one's goal. I would also like to point out that the murder of innocent guards would not sit well with the military of Gate Pass, and would likely make us the enemy of both this fine city and of the Ragesians. Now, let us at least try to search the deepest recesses of our mind for a plan that does not involve murder.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Claire

"Of course, my ingenuous friend, that there are no corrupt guards or, generally, people in the ranks of this city, right ? Of course not, everyone wishes everyone else so well and strives so hard to protect them ! Fine, then. We already have a murderless plan; let's go meet the gnome and then charm a guard to let us out of the city. However, as you have so much faith on those hard-working protectors of the city, don't ask for my help if the plan doesn't go so well and we are attacked by them. If you don't just switch sides and help them, I mean, which seems quite possible."

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGuy

Garret starts to worry about a fight breaking out. "Save it for the Rag's guys. We'll only kill someone if we have to, but if we have to we will." The last part seems emphasized.

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Duglan shakes his head and chuckles to himself, What my father said about the temper of the shorter lived races was true. He listens to the entire rant from both sides and tries to stay out of it. When there is finally a moments pause he chimes in, "I'm not killing a guard of this city for doing what he is paid to do, not for you or any man," he looks at all his companions as he continues, "but as I understand that isn't what was asked of us. If we run into any trouble I can knock a few heads with the flat of my blade and we can march right on out. Now enough talking let's move." Duglan emphasizes this last point by standing up and checking that all his gear is ready to travel.

28. - Top - End - #28

Torrent sits back in her chair, nursing another beer as the others talk. She even let's the argument between Garren and Claire go without saying anything. As the conversation starts to settle, she leans forward, "Have a seat for just a few more seconds, Duglan my friend. I want to emphasize something that Garren has brought up. I have only been in this town for a short time, but the gates out of the city, even the smaller ones are guarded by many men. If we are thinking of using magic to get out of here, we will need a lot of magic to get it done. I do not have access to that much magic, but maybe some of you do? Or, maybe we should think about what resources are available in the city to help us out."

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I really need a second set of Listen/Spot checks from everyone. Carry on with your plans otherwise.
    Last edited by druid_grif; 2008-03-11 at 10:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex looks annoyed at the argument.
    I'm sure we can come up with plan to get out of the city without having to kill guards. Right now, I can charm three people, one after the other. That'll make them friendly, but I'll probably need someone a bit more diplomatic to convince them to let us out. If I can sleep first, I can cast... well, Sleep. That can affect more people and I could do that three times too. But all of this is useless until we have a plan.
    He stands up, and moves to the stairs.
    I've lived in this city my whole life too. I should be able to figure what the easiest way out of the city is, if I have a bit of peace for five minutes. Keep it down to a dull roar while I'm gone. He walks up the stairs and into the upstairs room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+1)[20]
    Listen (1d20+1)[9]
    Local Knowledge: "Which way out of the city will be most lightly guarded?"(1d20+8)[13]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+3)[9]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[23]

Van narrows his eyes again, and then begins to get nervous as he fears an actual physical fight to break out. He doesn't understand what the big deal is anyways, as they had yet to come to a definite plan anyways. Then suddenly a thought occurs to him.

"You said Inquisitors are coming, correct? Well...what if we tried to pass ourselves off as Inquisitors? Or, perhaps part of the inquisitors' party? If I could get my hands on a proper disguise kit, I'm fairly confident I could bluff our way out the gate" says Van with a hopeful smile.

"Of course, I am always open to more ideas. But for now, shouldn't we concentrate on contacting this gnome?"
    Last edited by Methates; 2008-03-12 at 12:41 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martoss Krumder, Dwarven Cleric of Wee Jas
    Gorm, Goblin Barbarian//Scout
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue
    Jin Durann, Tiefling Fighter
    Bilken Dessum, Fire Genasi Fighter//Favored Soul