New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: War of the Burning Sky IC

Garret keeps his bow out, but at hearing the yell of surrender he looks back to Rex. "Just 'cuz it's a freakish spider gnome you're gonna surrender? Or is it the ball of light?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Claire

Getting closer to the rest of the group, Claire answers to Garret:

"That 'ball of light' is a Lantern Archon, my friend. It would not protect the gnome if he had ill-intentions. Maybe there is some misunderstanding happening here, and I don't think it would be wise to go against a Celestial so lightly."

While thinking to herself Or maybe he is being controlled or tricked..., Claire turns to the Archon and says:

"Hear me, holy Archon. We do not wish you harm. Why do you protect that gnome ? Please explain your motives."
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-03-30 at 12:48 PM.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

You sense that the ball of light turns towards Van when he speaks. It seems to stare at the elf for a few seconds before asking in a sing-song wispy voice,"Why do you fight against my Shahalesti friend?" The light intensifies for a second and the Archon says,"I cannot trust you, friend elf, because there is evil among you."

Last edited by druid_grif; 2008-03-30 at 03:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

The gnome heads towards the door at the top of the stairs. Before going out the door, the gnome commands in Shahalesti,"Come." He then exits and the door closes behind him. The Archon wavers a few seconds in the air, clearly as confused as a ball of light can look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy checks if you want to talk to the Archon. +2 if you are elf or half-elf. Is anyone going after the gnome?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Knowing nothing about this ball of light but clearly seeing the only lead they have slipping from their fingers, Duglan runs full speed at the retreating gnome.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex calls out to Duglan.
    Wait, don't scare him off.
    He follows the gnome to the door, speaking in halting Gnomish.
    I am sorry I shot you. I thought you were a bad man. Take this healing potion.
    Rex takes out a potion of Cure Light Wounds and places it on the floor, then steps back so the gnome can take it without getting too close.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check to get the gnome to stay and pick up the potion:(1d20+1)[9]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+4)[11] (with +2 for being an elf)

"But can't evil be turned to good in time? Can't the wicked be redeemed? Come, let us talk in peace...can't you convince your gnome friend to calm down?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martoss Krumder, Dwarven Cleric of Wee Jas
    Gorm, Goblin Barbarian//Scout
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue
    Jin Durann, Tiefling Fighter
    Bilken Dessum, Fire Genasi Fighter//Favored Soul

8. - Top - End - #158

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan slows down but still pursues the gnome if he shows any more signs of retreating.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

9. - Top - End - #159

Spoiler
    Show
    The gnome is outside the door.

Duglan runs to the door and tries to open it. It seems stuck so he puts his shoulder into it and it opens wide. Going out the door, the dwarf is almost dumbfounded by the scene. Heavy smoke and the orange of fires fills the sky about a mile and a half to the west. Just at that moment, a flight of griffons with riders swoop past the building, their battle horns drowning out the screeches of the griffons. Duglan looks around and sees the gnome climbing up the wall of the depository, about 15 feet straight up.

The Archon weighs Van's words and answers,"Your words make sense but some of your actions do not. My duty is to serve the Shahalesti in the protection of their homeland. It is my sacred honor to fulfill my purpose." The Archon seems to ignore Duglan.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex sighs and picks the potion up again.
    You shoot someone once and it becomes a big issue...
    He returns to the group.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Claire

Looking to the Archon with clear, confident eyes, Claire speaks to him:

"You can trust my words, Archon, we do not seek to mislead you from your duty, nor we mean harm to the Shahalesti. This was all a misunderstanding, we thought your friend was actually one of our enemies. We do not wish him any more harm, we would only like an explanation of what is happening."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[21]

12. - Top - End - #162

BardGuy

Garret allows the group to convince the ball of light as to their intentions, knowing that talking is something he isn't that good at anyways. He follows Duglan to the door but doesn't leave, instead sees the griffons and fires and says to Duglan, "Maybe we should be getting out of here. Now."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex sees Garret and Duglan staring out the door and goes to look. He gasps in shock, then turns to the rest of the group, holding the door open so they can all see out.
    Gate Pass is burning. I know you all want answers, but let's not stay here long.

14. - Top - End - #164

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Duglan stares blankly at the swooping griffons, caught completely off gaurd. After he finally composes himself, he grunts something that can be taken as agreement that the group needs to find a way out of the city quick.

15. - Top - End - #165

Duglan sees the Rivereye scramble up side of the Depository and on to the balcony of the third story. Torrent steps up even with Van, proudly displaying her blue metal armor and holy symbol. "Our actions here are honorable and true. We came seeking a package from the gnome who just ran from us. It is of vital importance to the resistance of the Ragesian empire and therefore the Shahalesti kingdom for us to retrieve the package."

The Archon seems to deliberate with itself for a few seconds," Maybe I have been to hasty in my judgement of your intentions. It seems my masters have some explaining to do for themselves. You will find what you seek on the fourth floor of this building. Tell your friend that I truly am sorry." With that, the ball of light bows to Torrent and Van, flying onto the third floor and out of sight.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Van Veranti

Van breathes a sigh of relief as the Archon flies away.

"That could have gone badly..."
    he says simply as he goes to retrieve the item that they came for, hurrying back down right away.

"So...shall we get out of here then?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex picks up his crossbow and conceals it under his robe.
    Yes, let's go.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

Waving her head in dissapointment, Claire mutters to herself:

"Humpf. Celestials..."

Before continuing on what she thought about Celestials, Van comes back from the fourth floor, and Claire is quick to say:

"Have you found what we needed to get, Van ? Good, let's get out of this city then, we have no time to waste !"

Claire heads to the stairs, ready to leave the tower and the burning city.

19. - Top - End - #169

As Van heads towards the stairs to the third and fourth floor, Torrent flags him to hold up for her. As they head to the third floor, she worries,"You would think, with the amount of guards on the outside of the building, that there would be patrols on the inside too. Celestial or not, something sinister is afoot." The third floor looks much the same as the first and second, and Van's elven sight does not see anything out of the ordinary.

They reach the fourth floor and start to search around the lockers. Van sees several human size lumps on the ground and runs over. Two guards and a gnome are tied up, gagged, and unconscious. At the same time as Van yells for Torrent, Torrent yells for Van. Van decides to stay and help the gnome and guards. He cuts the restraints and loosens the gag. Torrent runs over a minute later and explains,"I found a dead half-orc guard over there. His face is burnt to a crisp." Her face is the color of ash. She goes to the gnome to check his wounds, seeing none of consequence, she moves to the guards. After pulling out a healing salve and applying it to one of the guards head, the guard, an almost human looking half-orc, starts waking groggily. She comes back over to the gnome, lays a hand on his chest, and fills her mind with the sound of waves hitting rocky beach. A white and blue fire light emanates from her hands and seems to enter the gnomes chest. He awakes with a start, coming to his senses quickly. Van helps the guard and the gnome up, realizing it is the same ugly looking gnome as before. As he looks closer though, he sees minor details that weren't quite right about the other gnome, especially his height. The real Rivereye thanks them profusely for their rescue. "Again, thanks again for the help. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I tricked my captors into thinking there is a horrible trap on the case. The bad news is the case I was supposed to give to you has been stolen. There is some more good news, though. I overheard my captors, three elves and a Lantern Archon talking in Shahalesti. Now, I couldn't understand the elves as I don't know Shahelesti, but even though the Archon was speaking Elvish, I could understand it in my mind. That is a strange and useful power. Anyway, the Archon said something about meeting with someone at Gabal's school. I don't know Gatepass very well, but isn't that a wizard's academy in town?"

With the care provided by Torrent, the second guard, an overweight dwarf is brought to consciousness and they all head back down to the second floor. They meet up with the rest of the party, explain what they saw and the gnome said and head to the exit. In the gatehouse, the guards ask everyone questions but are cordial for finding their fellow guards. Torrent asks one of them about the status of the battle, and a half-orc says,"A guard troop went by the depository just ten minutes ago. One of 'dem said that the first gate is holding and the only big problems is the fires in the first section, Ragesio. I finds it funny that Ragesian is burning the part of the city primarily owned by their countrymen."

Torrent thanks the guard and then gathers the group into a huddle. "It looks like the city might hold out the night, so I would suggest we follow up with this lead at Gabal's school. Rex, did you happen to go to that school?"

Spoiler
    Show

Rex, did you go to the school or not? It isn't quite clear to me from your profile.

WotBS IC Thread
    WotBS OCC Thread
    Maps and other images

WotBS Player Characters:
    Rex Armiger
    Garret
    Duglan Strongheart
    Gerran Uthun
    Van Veranti
    Claire Bloodangel

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex nods.
    Yes. I'm actually still a student there, I'm just on temporary adventuring leave. I should be able to get you into the Castle easily enough. But this city is being invaded. Shouldn't we just get out now?

21. - Top - End - #171

BardGuy

Garret follows the group towards the real gnome, although it takes him a moment to pull away from the view of outside. "I don't know group. Does anyone think we could actually get to the school without fighting that army? Remember that flying thing too, they probably have more where that came from."

22. - Top - End - #172

"I will respect the decision of the group, but resistance leaders made it abundantly clear that the information in Rivereye's case is of vital importance to the resistance and the region as a whole. As for the Ragesian army, it looks like they are contained at the first gate and even if they broke through there, four more gates remain between them and us. According to my map, the school is in the next section of the city to the east. It is pretty much on the way."

Rivereye, who is quietly listening in, nods in agreement at Torrent's words.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Claire Bloodangel

"Let's go get the case already. We already took the trouble to come here looking for Rivereye, giving up on the info now would make all our actions here useless. And, as Torrent says, it's pretty much on the way anyway."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex thinks for a moment, then nods.
    If the army really is contained it should be fine. I'll come along and let you into the Castle. But I'm not hanging around for a pitched battle. Any serious military force and we have to run.

25. - Top - End - #175

BardGuy

Garret agrees with Rex on that, adding "If the town has that much resistance then we should have the time to make it there."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Van Veranti

"The main force of the army may be contained, but certain scouting parties might be able to find a way to penetrate deep into the city. Let's get this document and leave here as soon as possible. The longer we wait the more we risk."

Van keeps his longbow drawn and ready to use while he ponders what just happened in the depository.

Spoiler
    Show
    KnowledgeNobility - (1d20+5)[7]
    KnowledgeShahalesti - (1d20+5)[6]

Oy I suck x.x
    Last edited by Methates; 2008-04-04 at 08:11 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue

27. - Top - End - #177

WolfInSheepsClothing

Duglan

Duglan takes a while to come out of his revery and he says, "Let's head out then. I'm ready to put this city behind me and if we need this information, then we need this information." Magnum says in his single-minded approach to most situations.

28. - Top - End - #178

With the reluctant agreement reached, the group heads off towards Gabal's school of the Arcane. As you go through the gate into the next section of the city, the guards look at you funny but do not harrass you. They seem to be preoccupied with something else, and as you pass by, you hear the word "bells" uttered. You then realize that the temple bells have stopped ringing.

As you come within sight of the school, you see that one tower has been recently damaged. You head towards the gate. As you get close, a blue-robed figure steps out of the darkness. "This is a dark night to travel, especially to here. I welcome your return, Rex, and I hope you haven't caused any more trouble I have to get you out of." The middle aged man smiles warmly at the joke with his past student. To the rest of the group, he says," You are welcome into the school for whatever purpose, if only to get out of the cold. I am Diogenes, teacher at this school. Although, it seems I am doing gatekeeper duty, for I think trouble is coming."

Diogenes leads you through the gate and the front area of the castle. A mote surrounds the castle, and you see the corpse of a griffon in the water below. A student is pulling up a corpse of a human, telling Diogenes," I can use this for experimentation." Diogenes shoos the young mage away and you enter the castle. He leads you into an antechamber with a large table with equally large tomes on arcane matters on it. He invites you to sit, and takes a seat himself. "So, what brings you here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rex, Diogenes is an enchanter like you. He saw your aptitude and helped you along, although you never acknowledged it.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rex gestures casually to the rest of the party.
    These guys are in the Resistance. They're helping me fight the orc empire. There's some more guys at Lyceum who want to help me too, but I'm having trouble getting out of the city.
    He points to Torrent.
    The cleric wants me to pick up some documents before I leave, but they got stolen. Some genius in the elf empire hired a Lantern Archon as a spy. The only lead I have is that it was talking about meeting somone here, at the school. You seen any elves or gnomes or... well, talking balls of light acting funny around here?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive to detect any bluffs:(1d20+1)[18]

30. - Top - End - #180

Diogenes keeps a jovial smile as Rex introduces the group. He nods approvingly and wants to say something when the Lyceum is brought up but he remains silent. As you discuss the theft of the case, Diogenes's smile turns into concern, and then anger.

When Rex finishes, Diogenes says, "I knew that two faced bitch was up to something. You may remember Shealis Amlauril, an advanced student of Gabal's. I would bet you a gold piece she is a spy for the Shahalesti." Rex remembers hearing rumors of Gabal's favoritism for Shealis, and Diogenes' jealousy. "Whatever you plan to do to get information from her, count me in. We probably need to do it soon though. An elf came to visit her a while ago, and it looks like she is packing up to leave.

"I would normally suggest we take this to Gabal, but he has disappeared since the attack on the city started. I'm sure the townspeople will be happy about that." Diogenes thinks a bit and an idea comes to him," I have a thought. As a last gesture, I could challenge her to a spell dual. While we dual, a few of you could get into the room and look around. I could break the Spelldual spell and we could overwhelm her. Or, we can just bust down her door and take her by force. Any other ideas?

Spoiler
    Show

Rex, you feel as though Diogenes does not have a deceptive bone in him.

WotBS IC Thread
    WotBS OCC Thread
    Maps and other images

WotBS Player Characters:
    Rex Armiger
    Garret
    Duglan Strongheart
    Gerran Uthun
    Van Veranti
    Claire Bloodangel
    Last edited by druid_grif; 2008-04-05 at 10:55 AM.