New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Lost Tribe (Goblin Gestalt)

OOC Thread located HERE

Change of plan for rolls. We will make all rolls in this thread as they come up, as part of posting the action (for example: I swing at the guy in front of me! (1d20+4) [19]). This will be easier to keep track of which rolls go where.

Furthermore, I may be making 'off board' rolls. This is when the PC's will not know if it worked or not, or in sensory cases, such as Spot checks. Results will be given, or not as the roll determines, via PM's. It will be up to the individual character to decide what he does with the information. So if player A is the only one to make a spot check, I will send him a PM telling him what he spotted. He can tell the rest of the party, or he can keep the information to himself. His choice.

Please remember, I do not prevent party conflict, I merely take advantage of it. *rubs hands together and gives the Evil Mastermind chuckle*

In the Lands traditionally claimed by the goblinkind, there has been a disturbing trend of Humans pressing themselves in from the East for the past generation or two. More and more of their raiding parties (also known by them as 'adventuring parties') have been raiding and pillaging deeper and deeper into the goblin territories. They have even established tribes of their own on lands that, two generations ago, were Goblin lands.

Once, the goblin lands spread east all the way to the Nasty Mountains, where the stinking dwarves and gnomes live. Many fine raids were once made into those mountains, some comming back with nice loot, others vanishing. However, the Humans arrived one day, in numbers of tribes worth of people, going through the Nasty Mountains, probably aided by those same stinking dwarves and gnomes, and established their own tribes after the bloodshed that ensued.

Your tribe's land is far from that place, and was thought to be safe from Human raids. The game is plentiful, you have defeated all tribes who try to claim your area, and your tribe prospers. Life is about as good as it's going to get for a Goblin.

You know there is an individual far to the West that has stated that the only way for all of the native races, Goblinoid, Orcish, Gnollish, and everyone else, to survive this invasion is to band together into a Tribe of Tribes and present a united front to these foul humans. However, the Chief has decided that, for now, it would not be in the Tribe's best interest to go join up.

Then one day, the tribe Wise Woman has a vision, saying that for the tribe to survive, a Grand Hunting Party must be made and go forth into a certain area to begin the greatest hunt of all time. She names the individuals who must form this Grand Hunting Party (that would be you PC's), who go forth, expecting plentiful game and many rewards when you get back. She states that they must go out for two weeks, no more, no less.

There was nothing there, not even a rabbit. The area was so empty you ended up on half rations by the time you got back. If it wasn't for the scouts and the ranger, you probably wouldn't have managed to find enough food to fill your own bellies, much less anything to bring back. Hanging your heads in shame, you return home empty handed.

You return to a desolate waste and ruins. Everything of value is either destroyed or burned. Not a single goblin is left alive. And this was all done very recently, probably no more than a few hours ago. This was no warring Goblin tribe, for Goblins 'adopt' the young of a tribe they conquer, but this raid killed all goblins, even the women and children.

This is the scene which spreads out before you: Your village, utterly destroyed, as the sun begins it's descent. It is a few hours afternoon, but you still have a few hours of daylight left. There is absolutely nothing of tangible worth in the entire village.

Gentlemen, start your RP!

Edit: For my records, I'm dropping links for every character sheet here. Makes it convenient that way

Chineselegolas - Shad'roh - Swordsage//Buckler

Methates - Gorm - Scout//Barbarian

quiet1mi - Lank - Cleric//Ranger

Jael_Darkwood - Malar - Wilder//Dread Necromancer

Derwood - Gribbus - Scout//Beguiler
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2008-03-11 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Lost Tribe (Goblin Gestalt)

Malar

He stands silently for a moment, taking in the view of the destroyed village. "The wise woman may have known.... But that doesn't matter now. We must seek out those who did this... and make them pay." He looks at the scout and ranger. "Maybe one of you can find us a trail to follow?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorm

"No no no no! Tribe can't be gone! We must find who did this! We must kill them!"
    Gorm nervously starts running about, searching for any tracks that might have been left (survival check - (1d20+3)[12]). He also keeps an eye out for anything unusual that either shouldn't be there, or might give a clue as to what kind of people destroyed the village (search check - (1d20+3)[11], take twenty if there is nothing more important to do [=23]).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lank

lank is staring in disbelief at the mountain of rubble that used to be his home. Malar is correct, Maglubiyet would not be pleased if we remain idle... it would be best to find out who committed this butchery and slay them in the most painful and slow manner possible...

searches the ground for any clues to who did this survival - (1d20+6)[25]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Malar

"We don't have much time... whoever did this, it looks like they were just here... some of the buildings are still smoking. We need to get on their trail asap, and take them tonight when they stop to set up camp."
    He smiles darkly. "As to their punishment... that we can take our time with."

6. - Top - End - #6

Shad'roh

"If the wise woman knew this was coming, wouldn't she have tried to save herself too?" Shad'roh said as he drifted around waking in and out of the smoke, parts of it seeming to come off him and others flowing into him. "But then again, she told us to return at this time. It makes no sense" he continued and knelt on the ground, pushing around some of the rubble of his hut.
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Your search for clues turned up the following:

There was a note in the Wise Woman's hut, in the metal box under her cot, still undamaged. It reads as follows:

To the Hunting Party

I am sorry, but it has to be this way. It is your destiny, and ours. The alternative would have been for all of us to die. This way, you can get revenge on them all.

You each have a great destiny, far more powerful than any I have seen before. I could not see the full scope of your destiny, but I did see that you have the potential to be the saving of the mindless slaughter of tribes upon tribes of people.

You are no hunting party, you are a raiding party. Avenge us, and you will start your path to greater things

(as an FYI, even if you have the Survival skill, you may ONLY find and follow tracks if you have the feat Track.)
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Lank

Maglubiyet must smile upon us today for I just found some tracks from those responsible...
    Lank kneels down and points to the newly discovered tracks. The pitiful humans did not even try to conceal them... it must be the will of Maglubiyet that we fallow and slaughter them... do not worry mother and father, you will be avenged!lank picks himself up and motions everyone to fallow him.it looks like my training in tracking humans will be put to good use
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2008-03-10 at 11:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

9. - Top - End - #9

Shad'roh

Standing and sheathing his sword, Shad'roh kicked over a rock and walked over to where Lank stood. "I care not for the other tribes the wise woman mentioned, but this was out land, our homes. We shall follow them like your shadow follows. Lurking always, ever present, never leaving you alone." Drawing his hunting knife, Shad'roh drove it into the ground looking over the village, "You will be avenged." Standing, he turned and followed after Lank, moving from shadow to shadow, his eyes darting around watching the surrounding for any other survivors.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lank follows the trail easily, it seems they were going more for speed than stealth. There seems to be six humans and one Medium quadraped with steel horseshoes, so probably either a mule or a pony, which seems to be loaded down.

He follows the trail, the group following him back east as the sun slowly sets behind them, not making up much distance, as they seem to be moving as fast as they can.

It is now dusk, you probably have at least three hours if they keep going, or less than an hour if they make camp. Thanks to Darkvision, Lank can continue to follow the tracks by night if necessary.

So, do you choose to camp for the night, or do you press on? How stealthy do you wish to be if you continue? How will the marching order go? Is anyone going to be significantly ahead of the party? (I'm giving you a freebee this time, unless otherwise stated, the default setting is 'not stealthy', which gives opponents a much easier time of trying to spot you. However, you only go half as fast in 'stealth mode', so it could take up to twice as long on the original time estimate if you do decide to go on from here in stealth)
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Shad'roh

Looking at the shadows, watching them lengthen, Shad'roh turned to the others, "Lets pick up the pace slightly, humans are blind by night and we should see them by the light of their fires before they even notice any change in this protective darkness."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorm

"Yes yes! Blood and bones, kill the humans!" Gorm rushes up to the front of the group. laughing. If Lank wasn't required to show him the path, Gorm might run all the way there on his own. But on the other hand, Gorm had enough sense to know that two goblins could take down a human more easily than one goblin. So he stayed to the front, going as fast as the party can go.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martoss Krumder, Dwarven Cleric of Wee Jas
    Gorm, Goblin Barbarian//Scout
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue
    Jin Durann, Tiefling Fighter
    Bilken Dessum, Fire Genasi Fighter//Favored Soul

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

-As an aside, the OOC thread is now up, and linked at the top of the first post.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled RP already in progress-

I'm waiting for the rest of the players to pipe up before progressing to the fight scene.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2008-03-11 at 07:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

OOC: Sorry for my tardyness- neglected to subscribe and just kinda.. yeah.. I'm dumb. lol

Jumping up and down in the middle of the path, Gribbus finally speaks up, furious, "We run and find them! Find them all and make them bloody and hurt! Hurt and bloody as they made tribe! OVER AND OVER AGAIN We make them all pay!"
    Be kind... click on my dragons!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

As the party moves onward, following the tracks, they see a fire up ahead in the distance. Currently, you are several hundred feet from the fire, you can just barely see it. You know that no Goblin tribes should be in this imediate area, since it's still your Tribe's territory.

Please remember, describe your actions carefully and completely. If you didn't say you did something, you didn't do it. If you said you did something, you did it. I will not accept 'but my character would have...' as a legitimate reason for allowing an action to take place or not take place to avoid negative concequences. I may, if I think the situation warrents, ask if this is what you really want to do. Your answer after that will be final and you will take any concequences, good or bad, from that action.

So, what does everyone do?

Since this is a potential combat situation, I'll want everyone to post their character's actions before we continue. RP between characters is perfectly acceptable.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorm

Gorm takes out his greataxe but keeps his voice down to a whisper.

"Shh! Shh! Don't let them hear us! We move quiet-like now...sneak up and bash their heads in, yes!" Gorm starts creeping towards the fire as quietly as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    move silently - (1d20+12)[20]
    hide - (1d20+12)[30]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue

17. - Top - End - #17

Lank

Gorm has the right idea we can sneak past their pathetic ears, so lets creep up on them and attack all at once...
    lank puts his buckler in his backpack and pulls out his crossbow, loads it and decides to fallow about 5 feet away from Gorm.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=hide]1d20+11[/roll][roll=move silently]1d20+11[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2008-03-13 at 06:05 PM. Reason: roll= not work
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    Lank

Gorm has the right idea we can sneak past their pathetic ears, so lets creep up on them and attack all at once...
    lank puts his buckler in his backpack and pulls out his crossbow, loads it and decides to fallow about 5 feet away from Gorm.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide - (1d20+11)[28]move silently - (1d20+11)[24]
    * post roll count doesn't match database

Try setting up the rolls again. Editing them won't work, it'll return an error.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Malar

"I will hang back and use spells.. you guys go in and bash some huuu-maaans (ferengi pronunciation styles!).. Make sure to take out the sentry quickly." Malar slowly sneaks closer (to about 30 ft from the closest enemy, relying on the poor lighting and the crackling of the fire to assist him (Hide(1d20+8)[15]Move Silently(1d20+8)[28]). Then he holds his action, waiting until just after someone else initiates combat to cast ray of enfeeblement on a big-burly-fighter-type enemy (move action to get (safely) in range, ranged touch attack (1d20+5)[14], (1d6)[3] strength penalty to target).
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-03-14 at 12:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Gribbus

As soon as Gribbus catches view of the camp fire, he growls and makes a number of gestures while muttering carefully selected arcane phrases. Taking off at great speed, he keeps to the shadows while staying as silent as possible.

"Time to stab stab..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Casting: Expedious Retreat

Hide: (d20+8)[21]
    Move Silently: (d20+8)[13]

OOC:
    Gribbus will get as close as he needs to in order to get a good look at the group and open fire.

Attack: (d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]
    Skirmish: (1d6)[1]
    Be kind... click on my dragons!

21. - Top - End - #21

(trying this again)

hide - (1d20+11)[26] move silently - (1d20+11)[29]
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorm

Seeing Gribbus rush past, ready to open fire, Gorm decides to veer off to the left slightly so that once Gribbus opens fire, they shouldn't be looking at where Gorm was coming from. He continues to sneak toward the enemy until he is close enough to charge one of them. If he has the chance, he'll either charge the physically weakest looking enemy, or the same enemy that Gribbus is attacking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Status: HP-15, AC-16(with charge, 17 with dodge bonus against the opponent Gorm attacks)
    Attack - (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[13]
    SkirmishDamage - (1d6)[3]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue

23. - Top - End - #23

Shad'roh

Circling off to the left, Shad'roh nodded at his fellow goblins and drew his darkened blade, holding it at the ready, grinning slightly as he moved into the shadows, them flowing around and through him.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide - (1d20+14)[24]
    move silently - (1d20+14)[22]
    Swift action activate stance (And stating now I always have it active unless I state otherwise (Which I suppose could come back to bite me in the ass but...))

When the first other goblin charges or he thinks he is spotted, Shad-roh will move at the closest robed non-goblin, If can't move at any then will charge closest robed non-goblin. If this is unable, move at closest other non-goblin, if out of range than charge

Spoiler
    Show
    AC 19 (20% miss chance) (17 if had to charge)
    HP 8
    to hit - (1d20+10)[21] (+2 if charging)
    damage - (1d4+6)[8]
    If crit threat (19-20) (Nope so ignore)
    Spoiler
    Show
    confirmation - (1d20+10)[17] (+2 if charging)
    extra damage - (1d4+6)[7]
    Last edited by Chineselegolas; 2008-03-14 at 04:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

when the enemy has been engaged lank will summon the power to of doubt into a non-engaged human. then he will start firing cross bolts into humans not engaged with anyone else.He will also keep his ear's open to any one who needs back up or healing.

Spoiler
    Show
    i am casting doom the dc:13 (will)

(see next post for attack rolls)
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2008-03-14 at 08:38 AM. Reason: forgot an attack roll
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+7)[12]damage - (1d6+2)[4]

if critical (19-20)
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+7)[20]damage - (1d6+2)[3]
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    As the party moves onward, following the tracks, they see a fire up ahead in the distance. Currently, you are several hundred feet from the fire, you can just barely see it. You know that no Goblin tribes should be in this imediate area, since it's still your Tribe's territory.
    Emphasis for clarification. No one can see anyone at the fire yet. You will have to close to see anyone at the fire.

At this time, I'm asking if you are attempting any sort of stealth to close, or if you don't care and are moving forward quickly.

Those using stealth, may I remind you that making more than half move carries significant penalties (-5), and making a full move while in stealth is practically impossible at your level (-20). These penalties are applied to both Hide and Move SIlently. In other words, you're probably not going to be able to keep up with anyone making a full move with any kind of silence.

You currently have no idea who is at the fire, who is active and alert, who may or may not be on guard duty specifically watching for ambush, or anything else about the area.

With this in mind, would anyone care to clarify their actions?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Shad'roh
    Circling off to left, taking -5 penalty till about 120ft away from the fire, then moving slower, until attacking conditions met
    Planning to enter camp at about a 60-90 degree angle from others
    (Giving an illusion of another goblin party from another direction. Psych warfare ftw)

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

mine is still the same, only change is if combat lights off before I am close enough I will abandon stealth and use a overcharged psionic zap to hit someone.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gribbus will get as close as he needs to in order to get a good look at the group and open fire.
    I took that to mean that Gribbus was going to open fire as soon as he got in range, but on second thought I suppose that might not be precisely right.

So anyhoo, to clarify, Gorm will sneak at half-speed (20 ft.) until he is close enough to see somebody. If somebody else attacks, Gorm won't attack as well until he is close enough to charge somebody. Otherwise, he will wait and scope out the group at the fire.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Van Veranti, Elven Rogue

30. - Top - End - #30

(ooc) my plan remains the same... if anyone attacks i doom an un-engaged guy and then start firing my cross bolts at any human not engaged in close combat.if any of my fellow goblins sustain heavy injury i will come to their aide but first...
    (ic) lank continue to move at stealth speed of 10ft per round until he reaches a range of 100 ft or someone charges/attacks
    (ooc) are we aloud to post battle plans in the ooc forum (in this situation especially) or do we have to do this all in character? ex: I will do X, gorm you go around and charge Y etc...
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2008-03-14 at 10:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show