New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: When The Voice Whispers IC

Wrath summons his holy power and smites the foul creature, striking it from the sky and rending its body in two.

Aliae's lightning singes the final aberration, sending it jerking and spasming in its flight, but fails to slay the creature.
    Will be away for the month of July, working at Camp

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Rhabin in "The first of Lharvion"
    Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"
    "When the Voice Whispers"

Escaping Purgatory

Avatar done by the Illustrious Dr. Bath
    Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

OOC: We waiting on Thaddius for the Train?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

((No the hold up is, I am on a business trip, and don't have digital copies of my monster manuals, so while I can keep running a combat I already started, I don't have the stats to start up yours. I should post it tonight when I get home...might be late though.))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

Shrike, Thaddius, if we get through this, remind me to kill every frightened old man we come across just to be safe.~Morituri

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breten View Post
    Wrath summons his holy power and smites the foul creature, striking it from the sky and rending its body in two.

Aliae's lightning singes the final aberration, sending it jerking and spasming in its flight, but fails to slay the creature.
    The two halves of the flying fiend drop limply to the ground as Wrath's first swordstroke cleaves it asunder. Its gore does not even spatter the sanctified soldier for it smokes into acrid fumes as it spurts from the horrendously gaping wounds. On the second slash, the two halves are quartered in midair and consumed by the hallowed flames of the righteous rager's sword. Charred into naught but a hollow, blackened husk, the daemon's corpse crackles apart into shards of hardnened ash as it falls to the floor.

Wrath's silvern gaze tracks the last remaining viscerator as it flies spasmodically, still convulsing from Ailae's thunderbolt. The warforged paladin then turns about, seeking and ascertaining the locations and conditions of the other Khyberspawn... MULTIPLE HOSTILES... SUPERNATURAL THREATS... EVIL NATURE... FLYER, INJURED... GROUNDPOUNDERS... DOLGRIMS... ENGAGED WITH MONKS... STATUS UNCERTAIN... ANALYZING TARGETS...

A thousand calculations run through Wrath's processor in a single heartbeat yet most of them are foiled by the still-hot savagery system. Nevertheless, the liveroot sinews in his limbs tense in preparation for either a charge or the hurling of the trident at the remaining flyer.

From the recesses of his mind, his reasoning self scrabbles for a hold on his faculties and Wrath grinds out the words of congratulation and command, "Good work, Lady d'Orien. Sir Woland, concentrate fire on the flying fiend, finish it off. I'll deal with it if it comes aground. If not...”
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-03-30 at 11:34 AM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

OOC: Wow- totally just realized my post didn't go through the other day.

Thaddius d'Cannith

Pulling a long wand of spun silver and gold from his quiver, Thaddius furrows his brow and looks directly at the Dwarf, "Good sir, Master Dwarf, I fully respect your duties and those of your house- but sadly, we have a duty to our host and our current charge. We're moving in there now, and I think it would be wise of you to let us through without issue."
    Be kind... click on my dragons!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Ten-four", confirms Alestair, as he lets loose on the remaining beast, with a vengeance. Three arrows, coated by writhing snakes of blue-white energy, streak through what little distance lies between the man and his prey.

attack 1 - (1d20+12)[16]
    attack 2 - (1d20+12)[27]
    attack 3 - (1d20+7)[17]

critical 1 - (1d20+12)[24]
    critical 2 - (1d20+12)[14]
    critical 3 - (1d20+7)[18]

damage 1 - (1d8+3)[5]
    damage 2 - (1d8+3)[5]
    damage 3 - (1d8+3)[4]

shock 1 - (1d6)[1]
    shock 2 - (1d6)[1]
    shock 3 - (1d6)[2]
    "Urggzob is ten doctors!"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

The volley of arrows streaks across the sky, but only one finds its mark, while the others two bounce harmlessly of the orphanage wall. The one arrow that does fly true sticks itself in the creatures wing, and its movements become more erratic, but though grievously injured it remains single minded in its attempts to slay the wounded sorceress beneath it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Claw(1d20+9)[25]
    Claw(1d20+9)[20]
    Stinger(1d20+4)[6]

Crit(1d20+9)[29]
    Crit(1d20+9)[18]
    Crit(1d20+4)[24]

Dam:(1d8+2)[8]
    Dam:(1d8+2)[3]
    Dam:(1d6+1)[6]

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Train to Sharn

You step into the dim illumination of the rail car. Only a single flickering light makes things visible, and shadows loom everywhere, cast by the piled boxes of cargo all marked as Confidential. There is a 10ft wide aisle between the piles of cargo, and at the far end you see a beautiful woman dressed in loose fitting black clothes with a green sash tied around her waist. As the door opens and you enter her head whips around to regard you and her body flows liquidly into a defensive stance. Her eyes glow red in the darkness.

Leave now. This is not your business. Leave or you will suffer the same fate as the meddling dwarf.

As she mentions it you notice the dwarf laying in the aisle his neck twisted to an improbable angle.

((Roll Initiative, and check out the battle map HERE The blog is different from before because for some reason the other one got marked as spam, and I haven't sorted how to unlock it.))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

"This is our business now, murderess," Shrike spits, jerking his head at the dead body and reaching for his bow. "Come quietly, and the authorities of this land may not demand your head."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Vampire? I'm thinking vampire. Maybe.
    Init roll : 25 (in OOC thread)
    Last edited by Glawackus; 2008-03-31 at 01:26 PM.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Oh Bloody Hell...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (d20+5)[15]

11. - Top - End - #131

Ailae, battered by the beast's continuing assault focuses as much as she can upon it, sticking to Simeon's side. The lighting about her fingers continues to dance to its eldritch tune. Having unleashed the full power of her lightning she instead simply points, no somatics, no secret invocation, simply a channeled release as a strike of electricity stabs out at the faltering beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Storm Bolt, ranged attack roll; (1d20+8)[26], Damage; (4d6)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ailae d'Orien in When the Voice Whispers.

Deyn Aygnys in The Castle Builders

Nicholas Nuttall-MacDonald in High Stakes

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

The final abomination drops from the sky and lays still. As you look around, the monks have killed the dolgrims, though it has cost two their lives. Simeon has stopped convulsing, but still is unconscious, mutter to himself of "Father"

Father Tal reappears, clutching a large ornate scroll.

Thank the Host you are still okay, and have beaten off those creatures. With this scroll I can seal the rift.

He looks at Aliae in horror

You are wounded! Oh let me help you!

He reaches out with a touch, and muttered prayer and you feel your wounds begin to heal.

CSW: (3d8+5)[20]

As you look over the bodies of the creatures you have been fighting you notice a strange glimmering in the carapaces. Looking closer you find a small silver ring inbedded in it's carapace. You pry it out and look it over and discover that it is a magic ring. Checking over the creatures you find several such magic items inbedded in them. In total you find

2 Amulets of Natural Armour
    1 Ring of Protection+1
    Lesser Iron Ward Crystal
    2 Potions of Resist Fire(10)
    Last edited by Breten; 2008-03-31 at 09:25 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Train to Sharn

Rolling Initiative for Derwood so we can get this going.

(1d20+4)[9]

And the woman with the glowing red eyes...

(1d20+7)[10]

Okay so initiative order goes like this:

Shrike
    Elden
    Mort
    Glowing Eyed Woman
    Thaddius
    Last edited by Breten; 2008-03-31 at 09:31 PM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thaddius d'Cannith

"It certainly appears to be our business now that you're tossing threats our way. Now why don't we get a better look at what's going on here!"

Pulling a flat circular stone from his pocket, Thaddius taps it with his wand. With the mutterance of a few words, the stone instantly shines up with the intensity of the sun. Tossing it towards the woman, Thaddius draws a different wand from his quiver, this one a length of copper with a rougly cut garnet set in the base.

Spoiler
    Show

UMD for my eternal wand of daylight: (d20+19)[25]
    Init: (d20+4)[6]
    Be kind... click on my dragons!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Eyes narrowing at the sight of the fallen men and the woman responsible, Alfred quickly raises his hands and instantly dissolves into the shadows, the blade in his hand live and ready...

Spoiler
    Show
    Alfred casts Invisibility on himself, quietly moving forward to square R17 while carefully observing the woman. Move Silently: (d20+15)[25] (-5 penalty for moving 30ft)

I don't expect Shrike's or Eldon's actions to void this out.

16. - Top - End - #136

Shrike darts forward and touches his hand to his ancestor's symbol on his spirit shroud. "Arkallal, I call! Lighten my way!"

The symbol glows with an ethereal light, and he draws his bow perpendicular to his body, arrow ready to fly.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting light on the ancestral symbol (also Shrike's divine focus), and moving forward to R18, drawing the bow as he goes.

17. - Top - End - #137

OldWizardGuy

With a slight sigh of relief, Alestair confirms the situation to be finally in control as the last of the flying monstrosities is relieved of it's miserable existence. For a moment, his heart stings at the sight of the pain Wrath, Ailae and Simeon have had to suffer from the encounter, but cold reason keeps him from rushing to their aid. He draws another pair of arrows, finds himself a position where he stands directly in between the maw of Khyber and his friends, and takes aim toward it, with readiness to release a Manyshot at the first notice of trouble.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Elden scrambled back 10 feet from his distracted assailant, even as the women hisses at the party, then dodges left in between stacks of cargo and out of sight.

((note, her left, your right))

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Wrath nods in satisfaction as Ailae's bolt fells the last fiend, blasting it to smithereens. Still refusing to let the savagery subroutines deactivate out of hand just in case more fiends arise, he nevertheless tones down the rage just a little bit, enough to set his hardwired targetting systems on standby.

He sheathes his sword momentarily then strides solidly through the charred carcasses that are all that remain of their foes, wading and breaking through them with a cold disdain when he stumbles across something glinting in the ashes. It is not a mithral shard from his own body plating nor is it a piece of stained glass, rather, it seems to be some sort of protective amulet. Not somebody to let an advantage go to waste, Wrath seizes it and jams it into a rent in his armour where the liveroot sinews beneath are exposed.

Inexplicably, the enigmatic savagery subroutines die down and Wrath's senses clears of the sharp-yet-vague sensation during a rage. Unfazed, he continues on his purposeful march.

Walking through the carnage, Wrath manages to retrieve two more such defensive charms before he reaches Ailae. The warforged paladin kneels next to her and lays one hand upon her marred flesh and the other upon his own damaged frame. His ghulra, that mystic sigil of every warforged's individual identity, glows with a silvern light, illuminating itself as a sacred symbol of the Silver Flame as Wrath chants and channels divine power into both of them.

"On the Flame, I call
    To purge the evil and impure
    Banish injury"

The healing done, he shakes his hand left hand over hers and opens his fist, dropping the other two defensive charms into her palm. "Keep them, milady."

Before going back to the frontline, Wrath lays a hand upon Simeon as well and gives him a bit of healing as well. While he is doing so, he grinds out at the young man, "Ground. For your own safety, oracle, stay down"

With the healing done, he proceeds to move to a position adjacent Alestair's. There, on the precipice of doom, a silvern ray lances forth from his ghulra once more and blasts Sir Woland with hallowed light, empowering him and his weapon with divine power.

There he unshoulders his longbow and falls into a battle-ready stance, preparing to add his strength to that of his commander...

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands, yo!
    15 points on Ailae
    10 points on Wrath
    5 points on Simeon (if he's not dead yet, if he is, change that to '20 to Ailae')

Spellcasting:
    Protection from Evil on Ailae
    Divine Favour and Bless Weapon on Alestair

Combat Preparation:
    If foes emerge...
    ...and are out of melee-charge range, loose two arrows.
    ...and come into melee-charge range, drop the bow and charge with greatsword.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-04-01 at 11:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Shrike grunts and swings around the corner in a gust of cloth. "Get up above the crates!" he yells from somewhere among the boxes.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to O16

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Eldon staggers to his feet and runs back towards the party limping somewhat ending up in Q16.

She..she isn't human my lords! Be careful!

He stammers terrified.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

OOC: Quick question on order - by my count, the freaky glowing eyed woman is up for the first round, with Thaddius having an action pending immediately following. Is this the general consensus?

23. - Top - End - #143

Ailae collapses as the last chitinous horror flutters and dies; slumping to the ground she lies beside Simeon, staring at the sky, seemingly far from the noise of battle as he blood pools beside her arm.

She lies still as the Warforged and the Vassal heal her, under her rattling breath you hear a simple phrase repeated. "Silver light. Silver light." Almost visibly pulling herself together she grasps that which Wrath gave her and stands, bowing to the High Priest. "Father you are too kind, keep the miracles which which you have been blessed for your flock and please take these," She proffers the amulet and ring retrieved from the beasts, "We cannot stay, you may need them, or they should at least fetch enough on the Distant Exchange to pay for the damage I have done to your chapel. Please excuse me now Father."

Crossing to Alestair and Wrath she carefully skirts about the rent in the ground. Gently she lays a hand on Wrath's massive arm, "Thank you, simply thank you. You also Alestair. We can't stay to protect these people however. We must take Simeon and head for the others, I can take us to any big city in this side of Khorvaire, Vathirond to meet the other's on the train, Passage and Journey Home where we may find greater resources and safety, Wroat, the Medani have a great library of prophecy or maybe even Sharn and onto the Eye?"
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Suddenly the portal spews forth a cloud of disgusting smelling smoke that rolls through the courtyard. Visibility is reduced to 5ft, and everyone needs to make a DC 12 Fortitude check or be sickened

Oh and roll for Initiative! :D
    Last edited by Breten; 2008-04-02 at 10:57 AM.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

25. - Top - End - #145

Ailae coughs as smoke billows from the Khyber portal, covering her mouth with her left hand she shouts out to Father Tal, "Close the portal Father, we are in enormous danger!" Pointing toward where she remembers the shaft being she reigns out her power once again, lightning flickers about her right palm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude save; (1d20+6)[19]

Initiative; (1d20+7)[10].
    Last edited by Nycthemeron; 2008-04-02 at 11:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahem! If I'm not mistaken, warforged are immune to sickness... and so are paladins... but just in case...
    Fortitude save (1d20+18)[19]

Initiative roll: (1d20+3)[16]

"Too late, milady. Keep the defensive charms. You were damaged multiple times in the last melee--- you need them more than either of us. It would be unwise of you not to use them... at least in this encounter" Wrath grinds out...

...then swears in a manner most uncharacteristic for warforged, "KHYBER'S CRAP!"

Glaring at the fumes, Wrath says with a level yet urgent voice, "Comrades. Move backwards, slow and steady towards Simeon. We fight back to back. Sir Woland, I highly suggest you prepare to engage in melee. Archery is not likely to do good in this sort of visibility"

While speaking, his arms move swiftly and efficiently, stowing away the bow and arrow and then drawing the greatsword once more. Grasping the heavy weapon in both hands, Wrath resumes his battle-ready stance, liveroot muscles bunched and tensed with barely controlled power.

27. - Top - End - #147

OldWizardGuy

fortitude save - (1d20+10)[28]

initiative - (1d20+4)[11]

"I concur, Wrath. But nevertheless, I am of ill temper now - I resigned myself to the fact that I must endure resorting to violence on this assignment, even accepted it, but to have Khyber itself manifest it's fiery sphinct before me just to pass ill wind at me - never have I been insulted so!"

It is somewhat obvious through tone of voice and behavior that Alestair is speaking jokingly. He is nevertheless forced to pipe down as the disgusting fumes start to get to him.

(Can't tell what the roll results are while writing naturally, but in case everything goes smoothly I'll drop the peashooter and draw my shield and the byeshk hammer Wrath gave. Is it masterwork or normal, by the way?)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

((It's a +1 byeshk warhammer, yo! Ah... byeshk, how I bless thee!
    Ha-ha-ha! Good one! A far better gag than Wrath's "Khyber's crap"--- ha-ha-ha!

Hold on... um... remember to factor in the combat buffs that Wrath gave ye!))

"Hah. If so, then we should thank the Flame that Khyber hasn't fully excreted yet!" Wrath retorts, still slowly retreating towards Simeon's last known location.

And then he pauses for the slightest instant in his movement when something dawns on him. "Flame! Sir Woland, you mean to tell me that you weren't expecting violence on this foray?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Train to Sharn:

The woman has gone. It is Thaddius' action, and that back up to Shrike.

Aundair:

After a moment the noxious cloud begins to clear, and you can see a figure emerging from the smoke. Before you can make it out or react at all, there is a sudden ripple in the air around you find your brain reeling from some kind of overwhelming mental assault.

Father Tal, gurgles for a moment, and the stares blankly ahead, drooling absently from one side of his mouth.

Everyone else please roll a Will Save DC 17 to avoid being stunned.

As the smoke finally dissipates you recognize with dread the creature standing before you. It's seemingly humanoid silhouette shattered by the four tentacles waving from its pallid purple head.

Currently Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently DMing
    "Bertram's Shadow"

Escaping Purgatory

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

OOC: ...Oh! Sorry, misread that as Eldon dodging through the crates .