New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Other Axis

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default The Other Axis

Three traitors and a fool...

The four people that Seņor Elmo Constanz wished to be notified in the event of his death. A letter from his employer and comrade, Denali Patchkin, has been delivered to each of you, asking you to meet in the logging town of Nestor as soon you can.

Captain Hieronymous Squarejaw, you encountered Constanz frequently while harrying the officers of the Baron del Lagos. You knew his real name and although he came and went as he pleased, he was a formidable ally when he was at your side. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the town of Chassen, where you were recuperating from an infected wound. You've been well for days, but have lingered overlong. Chassen lies three days south of Nestor, by foot.

Sir Kevin Robertson, when you first met Seņor Constanz, he was using the name Eduardo Chubb. He showed you the true, wicked nature of Duke Carmine del Destrehan and helped you to escape from his service. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the village of Pancorn in the Barony of del Lagos, where you were negotiating with the Baron for extra food. The region has suffered a drought this year and the Baron's taxation is notoriously stiff. Pancorn is a week's ride from Nestor. Fortunately, a paladin never wants for a reliable steed.

Seņora J'barnabar Ripley, you never knew Elmo Constanz except by the name of John Saint Drake. In some ways, he betrayed you, but you also owe him your life. The letter informing you of his death reaches you at Dropwater Fair, five days to the west of Nestor. You were enjoying some rest and relaxation with the mercenary company you've been riding with lately. Perhaps it is time for a new direction?

Seņor Zigurds, you knew Constanz only as Eliot Percival. He appeared one evening at your campfire, accompanied you for about six months, and then disappeared. He was a useful bloke, though, and worthy company. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the village of Pillrose, a week's walk Southwest of Nestor. You have just lost a bid to clear out a warren of goblins from the local mine.

Denali Patchkin approaches each of you discretely shortly after you arrive in town. Upon the arrival of the last of you, he requests your attendance at the evening mass at the chapel of Ehlona, the Starlit Lady.

OOC: My preferred posting format is black text with speech in bold. Any necessary OOC comments (such as stating that you're using power attack, confirming the state of the game, or rolling dice) should follow your post and be as brief as possible.
    Last edited by Ephraim; 2008-04-14 at 09:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: The Other Axis

Here's some info on the town: Nestor is a small logging town in northern Zazoo (the nation of free men.) To the north and to the east lies the feudal republic of Gateau. Nestor is located a few days south of the nearest spur of the Imperial Highway (constructed by the Holy Barrish Empire, a dwarven nation.) The population is mostly human. There are almost no elves, dwarves, or halflings, a handful of gnomes, and a notable population of orcs and half-orcs, who make good lumberjacks.

There are about thirty people present for the evening mass at the chapel of Ehlonna. Denali Patchkin is present.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

A middle-aged gentleman punctually strolls into the chapel. His steady gaze surveys the interior of the temple; upon recognizing Denali, he walks over to the same row and silently sits down.

His clothing is a nondescript suit of travelling clothes, noticably worn, yet for all of the wear on it, there are no stains, nor are there rips or frayed edges. His hair is a slightly greying blond. His jawline is pronounced and clean-shaven, his cheekbones distinct.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

A tall, dark skinned woman stands at the entrance to the chapel. She's wearing woodsman's garb - with what appears to be breastplate under a dull, dark green cloak. Momentarily she looks about the room, taking a quick note of the building and the occupants before walking to the altar and briefly paying her respects to the Starlit Lady.

She unslings her bow from her shoulder and seats herself near Patchkin to wait for mass to being.

OOC: Is there an OOC thread? Not sure if it's appropriate - but I've linked the players and their sheets below.

Spoiler
    Show

Apollyon plays Captain Hieronymous Squarejaw - Human male Scout/Rogue
    Tichrondrius plays Kevin Robertson - Human male Paladin of Freedom
    Akiata plays J'barnabar Ripley - Human female Fighter/Scout
    Hydra plays Zigurds - Human male Sorcerer.
    Last edited by Akiata; 2008-03-31 at 06:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

The gentleman looks over at the stranger who just entered and sat in the same pew as him. His unshakable gaze partakes the entirety of the stranger, looking her from head to toe with a minimum of head movement. He quickly glances over at Denali and makes an almost-imperceptible gesture with his head in her direction, before returning his gaze towards the stranger. After half a minute, he rubs his hand along his jaw, looks at the bow, and then faces back forward.

"What are you planning on doing with that in here?", he quietly asks in a pleasing baritone. His hand darts to his belt pouch and emerges with a rock that he throws in the air from hand to hand, the height of the rock under the top of the pew.

6. - Top - End - #6

Sigurds

Still a bet perturbed over losing his bid to deal with those silly goblins and that annoyance compounded by the loss of a friend (and one of the few willing to listen to Sigurds as he regaled about his many accomplishments), Sigurds walks into the chapel. He contemplates making a gesture of respect to the Starlit Lady, but decides he'd rather not acknowledge a being he had no desire to worship.

Gazing across the chapel, Sigurds spots Mr. Patchkin along with two strangers whom Sigurds has never met. Never one to be deterred by strangers, Sigurds adjusts the overly flashy and obviously overpriced outfit he chose for this and walks over to the group, bowing slightly to the three before removing his cap from his blond head.

"It's a shame, Eliot left us far too young, but even in tragedy some good can come of it. Sigurds the name, brightening hope amongst the free peoples of this land my specialty." Sigurds glances over the three, no doubt anxious to receive acknowledgment.

OOC: Here's the link to my guy, sorry for not posting it sooner.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

At Sigurds' greeting, Denali Patchkin places a ribbon into his prayer book to mark his place and meets the newcomer's eye. "Well met, Seņor Sigurds," he replies. "I am," he says, smiling politely, "aware of your reputation. It seems that Seņor Constanz -- your Mr. Percival -- also thought you a man of character."

He rests his gaze on J'barnabar and Hieronymus in turn. "I am pleased that you agreed to join me tonight for the mass. Elmo's passing still rests heavy upon my conscience and I find Monsignora Marqueen's homilies to be comforting." He absently strokes the cover of his prayer book while a ripple of remorse passes over his face. "Of course, afterward, I will explain to you all everything that you need to know."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

"Now you have piqued my curiosity, but I shall have to wait to find out more details until afterwards." He turns towards the two strangers, "My name is Captain Squarejaw. And, Sigurds was it? I hope that you aren't boasting when you say that you can bring cheer. There is much that needs cheering in this world."

With that said, he turns forward, clamps his jaw shut, and stares ahead, not interrupting the rhythm of the rock in the least throughout the exchange.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

"Seņor Constanz? Mr. Percival? Elmo?!! Just who was he?"

For all the questions running through her head, Barnie gives little if anything away outwardly. A calm, smile graces her face as she responds to the newcomer.

"Well met Seņor Zigurds," and nodding in the direction of the queer man tossing rocks about, "Captain Squarejaw. Would that we might have met under better circumstances. I am J'barnanabar Ripley, but folks call me Barnie." She finishes and turns toward the Monsignora to await the service to begin, but then turns back momentarily to say, "Oh, and I tend to find it's more comfortable to unsling one's bow before sitting. Suppose that might be a might strange to some..." She says with eyebrow raised.

/OOC: Guys I'm off on holidays for ten days to Amsterdam and then Milan today, and I will not be able post very frequently. I'm really sorry - the timing's terrible I know. I'll get on as often as I can - feel free to NPC J'barnabar in the mean time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

He turns towards the armored figure, affixes her with a hard stare, his jaw tightening, the rock throwing ending. "I didn't mean to ask as to why you put it there, that much is obvious. I wanted to know why you brought a bow into this temple. I realize that you are most likely eager to show off your new armor and weapon that you bought with a sack of gold that you found under a freshly-clubbed baby kobold. But there's a time and place for wearing armor and carrying a weapon, and a temple is rarely it, unless you fear getting a splinter."

OOC: Have fun in A'dam and Milan.
    Last edited by Apollyon; 2008-03-15 at 09:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Sigurds

Sigurds, sensing the hostility in the air, quickly positions himself between the captain and Barnie, not wanting to risk the loss of any potential allies.

"Now now, we should be seeing joy in the fact that even in the wake of this down heartening situation we can make new friends and allies, not seeking to take out our emotions on one another! Come, let's learn what we can from this service, then we can discuss other matters, yes?"

Sigurds shoots both a "trust me" smile before taking a seat on the pew, placing himself between the two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

As Sigurds' intervenes, J'barnabar bites back a retort but continues to eye Hieronymus. "Very well," she replies coolly.

Seņor Patchkin appears as though he is about to say something, himself, when he is interrupted by the beginning of the mass. A boy-acolyte raises a song of praise as the priestess emerges from her chambers at the rear of the chancel. Clad in dark blue and white vestments, she steps up to the pulpit and begins to speak.

The service is brief, consisting only of Monsignora Marqueen's message, a few prayers, and a blessing. As the rest of the congregation begins to depart, Patchkin whispers to you, "We will meet with the Monsignora shortly."

Once the chapel has cleared, the priestess approaches Patchkin and gives him a hug. "Good evening, Denali," she says. "Are these Elmo's friends?"

"Just so, Luz," Patchkin replies. "And I believe that Markoni will be joining us presently." To the rest of you, he says, "Please allow me to introduce you. This is Monsignora Luz Marqueen. Luz, these are Captain Hieronymus Squarejaw, Seņor Sigurds, and Seņora J'barnabar Ripley." He pulls a handkerchief out of his pocket and dabs at his glossy forehead.

"And now, I believe that I promised an explanation," he says. "Each of you knew Elmo under different circumstances, but his real name was Elmo Constanz. He was a spy in my employ and he was invaluable in preserving the tenuous balance that prevents Gateau from making open war on Zazoo. Several months ago, a dreadful rumour reached us. I asked Elmo to travel north to investigate it, but a little more than two weeks ago, he was killed." He gestures to the priestess. "Show them the bracelet, Luz."

She pulls back the sleeve of her tunic to reveal an iron bracelet on her right wrist, now rusted and pitted with corrosion. "Elmo and I each wore one," she explains. "In the event of his death, the iron would rust." While she is speaking, a burly, young man smelling of sawdust enters the chapel and approaches quietly. "So tonight, we intend to conduct a séance to speak with his ghost. We would like..." She chews her lip pensively. "We would like you to travel north to find out what happened to him and to bring back his body, if you could, so that we can give him a proper burial."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

"That sounds like a valuable service that I could provide for him. I am indebted to him; no member of the Squarejaw family would dare leave a debt unfulfilled."

He turns his neck back around towards the new arrival, his jaw resting upon his shoulder. He turns back around towards Monsignora Luz and merely raises an eyebrow, rolling his eyes back towards the top of his skull with a slight elevation of his head.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sigurds

Sigurds nods in agreement.

"A friend of Mr. Elmo is a friend of mine. I shall see that he receives in death what he deserved in life.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Luz takes in the assent for a moment and then says, "I can't tell you how grateful we are for you agreeing to help." She graces each of you with a warm smile in turn and then directs her attention to the newcomer. "Thank you for joining us tonight, Pitr," she says to him. "Friends, this is Pitr Markoni. He was close to Elmo -- like a brother."

Pitr clears his throat and mumbles, "Hello."

Patchkin clasps Pitr's shoulder and says, "Don't be bashful, Markoni."

"No, sir," Markoni replies. "Of course not."

The is a moment of awkward silence before the priestess speaks up again. "Shall we adjourn to my study? I laid out everything before mass." Her tongue pokes out from beneath her lips as she surveys the group and then she frowns. "Gracious... Didn't you say that there would be seven, Denali? I hope that this doesn't spoil the ritual."

"I have every confidence in you, Luz," Patchkin says. "Seven or six, it ought not matter." He crosses the chancel to the door to Monsignora's Marqueens' chambers and holds it open.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

"Greetings, Senor Markoni. I'm sorry for your loss. I spent some time with him; I had no thoughts after hearing of his passing, but of getting here." After greeting Markoni, he turns towards Patchkin.

"Who else was supposed to arrive? I can't say much for them if they weren't willing to honor their commitments." He pauses for a minute, irritation evident in his eyes and the slight tensing of his jaw.

"Would it be more advisable to wait until we have seven? I can't say that I know much about rituals."
    Last edited by Apollyon; 2008-03-20 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Semicolons FTW!

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

J'barbabar

Having freely given her consent to assisting in this task, J'barnabar wonders for a second if it's what she wants to be doing. "It would be the least I could be for him," she decides quickly - her mind coming to the same conclusion her heart knew all along.

"Monsignora, if your séance is as touching as your service was, I'm sure everything will go smoothly." She reaches out to squeeze her hand in reassurance and gestures that the preistess should lead the way.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sigurds

Sigurds looks at all his companions before scratching his chin.

"While I've never been in one of these rituals, if it will bring ease to the minds of the bereaved I would be more than willing to participate," Sigurds chimes in, "and I wouldn't want it to be known that I wasn't willing to take part in a little magic."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Monsignora Marqueen leads the way into her chambers. The rooms are plainly decorated, but not, perhaps, as austere as one might have expected from a priestess. To the left lies a curtained alcove with a bed and a dressing table. To the right, paintings of derring-do adorn the wall. There is also a stand upon which hangs a serviceable suit of mail, a longbow, and a spear.

At the rear of the chamber is the Monsignora's study. The collection of books and scrolls on the cases is hardly opulent, but it suggests wealth beyond the means of a logging village. There is an oblong table as well, with ten plain chairs. A square of linen conceals a bundle thereupon. It is toward this table which Luz leads you.

"As you know, she explains, "summoning the spirit of a dead man is singularly difficult. Even, we, six of his most respected friends, will only be able to speak with him briefly.

She removes the cloth and reveals the accoutrements of the séance: a wooden bowl filled with milk, a lock of hair, a silver coin, and a sprig of pine. "Once Elmo's spirit appears to us, each of us may ask one and only one question of him. She drags four of the chairs away from the table. "Ask him whatever is closest to your heart. The ritual is empowered by our admiration for him."

She seats herself at the chair nearest the components of the spell and invites the rest of you to join her.
    Last edited by Ephraim; 2008-03-28 at 09:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

As she seats her self at the table, Barnie's mind begins racing through millions of questions, but one that sticks almost immediately she realises she can ask of Patchkin now.

"What was this dreadful rumour that you sent Elmo to investigate?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Denali Patchkin seats himself and tugs at an earlobe as he considers J'barnabar's question. "Well, as you know," he begins, "there's been increased tension along the border the past few years. The word is, Gateau is planning another campaign to re-annex Zazoo. That, of course, is nothing new. Plotting the conquest of Zazoo is almost a party game to the nobility."

He pauses and casts a glance over at the priestess, who is fussing over the pine sprig. "How much time do I have, Luz?"

"As much as you need, Denali," she replies. "I can cast the spells any time tonight."

Patchkin nods and then continues his explanation. "The new archmage at the church of Wee Jas, however, adds a complication. We don't know what exactly he's doing, but it appears that he's prepared to lend more power to Gateau than his predecessor was.

"We have reliable testimony that a Savant has been seen at the court of Duke Carmine del Destrehan. The Duke is ambitious and not especially bright. That lends credence to the less reliable testimony we have received that he is bankrolling experiments with black magic by the Church of Wee Jas. If it's true, King Aramis would have him beheaded. Of course, the Duke probably knows less about what his cohort is doing than we do -- which is very little.

OOC: I apologize for the long delay. Work has been very taxing and I've been in a creative rut.

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

Taking Patchkin's words on board Barnie begins to put the pieces together - thinking out loud.

"So I imagine you sent John to, uh, Elmo to investigate what this archmage was up to. And if the rumours of black magic are true, a fate most foul may have befallen him..."

This disturbing thought gives her pause and she pales - visibly unsettled. She regains her composure after a moment, and clears her throat.

"I will ask the spirit of Elmo how best his death might be avenged."

23. - Top - End - #23

Sigurds

Sigurds scratches his chin, taking in the new information.

"I personally would like to know what purpose he had in allying himself with me if he had much important things to attend to than the hodge podge of adventures we had."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

"I wonder as to what he learned before he died. I have little doubt that he was killed, given what you told me." He grabs his head, his thumb on his temple and his fingers touching the top of his skull.

He pauses for the better part of a minute. He then slides his hand down his face, creating a fist and cracking 3 of his knuckles on his jaw. His arm falls to rest flat upon the table as he gives a great sigh.

"I don't doubt that I shall learn what he knew, given time. I think the most disappointing thing is that he died without being able to tell certain people important things, or just farewell. I've seen many die without being able to pass on even something like a farewell to family. My question to him shall be: 'Would you like me to give a message to anyone?'"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

As the conversation around the table dwindles, Luz Marqueen begins to sing a hymn to the goddess Ehlona. It is a song of gratitude and celebration for romantic love. Between each verse, the priestess pauses and begs the goddess for her power.

During the final verse, she wraps the lock of hair around the sprig of pine and tucks it like an ornament into her own coif. She concludes her song and once again, asks Ehlona to fulfill her supplication. She pushes the bowl of milk into the middle of the table and then with a practiced flick of her wrist, she bounces the coin into the bowl.

The splash freezes before it falls and a milky mist rises from the bowl. The mist takes the shape of a man. As it coalesces, though, it becomes evident that the man is bound in chains. Monsignora Marqueen claps her hand to her mouth and stifles a moan. "The questions," she murmers. "Ask your questions."

Patchkin speaks up immediately. "Elmo, what did you discover of the rumours we sent you to investigate?" The spirit orients on Patchkin and replies, "Denali, it is worse than we imagined." Constanz's spirit falls silent and Patchkin seems about to speak up again, but the priestess inhales sharply and he bites his tongue.

To J'barnabar's question, he strains against his bonds and answers, "Break the chains."

Pitr Markoni asks, "Who is responsible for your death?" The spirit struggles with this question, the chains constricting about him as he searches for an answer. Finally, he says, "del Destrehan's Hubris."

Sigurds question actually elicits a mirthless laugh from Contanz's ghost. "Seņor Sigurds," he replies, "you were suspicious."

Monsignora Marqueen asks him, "Where will we find your body?" The chains constrict immediately around Constanz. In fact, they even glow with a reddish hue. To Contanz, it is clearly agonizing. Try as he might, he is unable to answer. Only when he ceases to try do the chains relent. She turns to Hieronymous and urges him to hurry.

In response to Captain Squarejaw's question, the spirit replies, "Tell Moskowitz the baker, in Fharlangh's Footstep, that I always enjoyed the meat pies."

When Constanz finishes, the priestess tugs the pine sprig from her hair and tosses it into the bowl of milk. Immediately, the splash resumes splashing and the apparition dissipates.
    Last edited by Ephraim; 2008-05-07 at 06:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

Eyes wide with awe and heart stricken with sadness, Barnie continues to stare at the bowl of milk for a few minutes, long after the apparition has vanished.

Still looking blankly at the bowl, her voice breaks just a little as she asks, "why keep his spirit chained like that? Who would do such a thing..." she trails off for a moment and then looks up at Patchkin. "Could this be the work of Destrehan's black mage?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Detrehan or Destrehan? I'm assuming they're not two seperate people.

That was an awesome description of the spell - great work!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

OOC: Destrehan. The previous post has been corrected.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Captain Squarejaw

He moves his jaw to the side, creating a half-frown, a large crease surrounding his cheekbone. "Well, that certainly was interesting. I had expected him to give me a message telling his family that he loves them. I suppose this news will be easier than telling someone that a loved one has died."

His frown disappears as his lips grow tight. "Telling someone of a death of a loved one is the worst possible job that I have ever performed. I suppose that I don't have to perform that duty this time."

He looks over towards Monsignora Marqueen, "Is J'barnabar correct? Is his soul truly being held captive? I would hate that her first time of being correct is this one."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Luz Marqueen wrings her hands as she continues to stare at the now-still bowl of milk. "I don't know," she stammers. "I think that's what it means. I don't have to cast that spell very often and the spirit of the deceased manifests differently every time. I've never seen anything like that before, though. I think that yes, his spirit must be held captive.

Patchkin sits with his head bowed, a hand held over his eyes. "Friends, I believe that this adds new urgency to what I ask of you. I thought just to give Elmo a dignified burial. It seems that more is at stake, however, than just the resting place of his bones."
    Last edited by Ephraim; 2008-05-12 at 11:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

J'barnabar

With a long exhale, Elle thinks to herself, "Patchkin's right - it's time to get on with this." But when Captain Squarejaw makes his quip, she can't resist a quick retort.

"Squarejaw, if you're coming with me to free Elmo's spirit and see to it that his death was not in vain, you'd best get used to me being correct. Otherwise you'll find yourself too bewildered to be of any use." Pausing for effect, the corners of her mouth curl upward playfully to form a wry grin. "It's been a while since I've heard good banter. Maybe this one's not as stiff as I first thought..."

Turning to Patchkin she says, "I'd like to leave immediately - it's time Duke Destrehan was paid a visit. Can you tell me - is Fharlangh's Footstep on the way there?"