Init Order-
    Prowl - 27
    Smokey - 17
    Mercy - 7
    LMM-7
    War Machine - 6
    Firefly - 6
    Hill Giants - 6

As the giants begin to move away from him Prowl's speed is amazing as he leaps forward after them. The magic of the Dimension Door still tugs at him as he draws his bow maligning his aim. The arrow flies off into the scrub.

Smokey's Air Elemental streaks off toward the Giants easily covering half the distance in a few seconds. Smokey himself draws his spear and flies toward the giants. (Will fix your location on the map tonight, my mistake.)

Mercy stands tall in her stirrups and releases another fireball. This one catches the southern most pair of giants, both of them see it coming and dive for cover at the last moment. She then returns her horse to behind the wall. Little Miss Murder moves with her to provide cover and defense.

War Machine sits his horse behind the other end of the wall preparing to charge the Hill Giants as they close distance.

[OOC- Firefly none of you conditions tripped so you just hold action for now.]

The Hill Giants, seeing that their rocks are not useless begin to charge. Howling like giant apes they come running. Their arms are waving over their heads swinging their great clubes Squish dem! They are unable to cover to much ground as their heavy hide armor slows them, they are now almost 300 feet from the wall.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-27 at 02:30 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Grey Knights IC

Mercy

Seeing no reason to mess with success, especially now that the giants have given up on throwing rocks at her, Mercy shifts her horse back and to the edge of the wall, and lets fly with another fireball. Seeing what she hopes is one of Smokey's allies descend from above to join the fight, Mercy aims so as to miss the floater.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving the horse diagonally back from the wall of goo, and to just past its edge - about 20' back, to give LMM and War Machine plenty of room in front of her as desired.

Fireball: (10d6+3)[32]. Still reflex 19 to save. First priority is missing the elemental, then hitting as many of them as possible.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 28, t 20, ff 19 (AC includes Skirmish bonus and Expeditious Dodge bonus)

The little lizardfolk chases after the giants, easily firing off another shot at the central giant as he runs. "Whot? Y'all 'fraid a some li'l lizard? C'mon back here an' fight!" Prowl calls after them, trying to goad them into breaking off their charge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shot on the Run, 25' before/25' after. Next round I'll just run after them.
    Ignore PBS and Skirmish damage.
    Attack: (1d20+17)[25]; includes PBS.
    Crit?: (1d20+17)[25]; includes PBS.
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9]; includes PBS.
    Skirmish Damage (and +2 AC): (2d6)[10]
    Fleet Runner's Array: +2AC vs AoOs.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-03-27 at 01:44 PM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

The raptorian angles down, dropping the rest of the way to the ground before pulling up at the last second to plant the butt of his spear in the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    45 feet forward + all the way down.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

War Machine digs his heels into the flanks of his mount, sending the massive war horse forward. With hammer and shield both at the ready, he pulls on the horses reins before it reaches the ectoplasmic wall.

He bides his time, hoping for the giants to continue their reckless charge.

Spoiler
    Show

moving up to about ten feet behind the wall of goo.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder edges her horse out from behind the wall slightly; by her reckoning, Mercy can down the giants much faster than the giants could down her, and they needed to know when the giants would hit them. She sees Smokey out in front, and curses in Elven; the profanity is mild, but she gives it a twist that makes it sound much worse, especially to those who don't speak the language. "Smokey!" she howls. "Fall back before they close with you, and tell your thing to harry them without staying too near!" She hadn't worked much with Smokey's beasts before, but a giant's club could put a good-sized dent in almost anything; that was why she was letting them make the approach, rather than heading out to meet them. Hells, if they were really lucky, or staged a fighting retreat on horseback, Mercy might be able to take them out before they ever struck a blow.

... not that she was counting on that; she intended to make the giants regret they'd ever seen this group if they managed to close.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Init Order-
    Prowl - 27
    Smokey - 17
    Mercy - 7
    LMM-7
    War Machine - 6
    Firefly - 6
    Hill Giants - 6

Prowl pursues the Giants loping along behind them easily catching up to their huge forms.

The Air elemental swoops down attacking one of the giants. It stikes out at the southern most giant. While Smokey swoops to the earth infront of the oncoming Giants.
    Spoiler
    Show

To Hit (1d20+12)[11](23)
    CC (1d20+12)[30]
    Damage (2d6+12)[18]

Mercy edges he horse out from the edge of the wall and hurls another fiery bead. This one explodes between the 2 southern giants who both are caught in the edges of the blast and keep running.

Little Miss Murder calls out to Smokey.

War Machine rides out to the edge of the Wall of Snot, waiting for the giants to close further.

Firefly dismounts and summons a spectral construct that resembles an Umber Hulk.

TheSouthern Giant swings his club at the offending Air Elemental, howling Grah!! Bad Cloud me squish!
    Spoiler
    Show

To hit (1d20+16)[8](24)
    CC (1d20+16)[26]
    Damage (2d8+10)[14]

The other two giants continue to run toward Mercy closing the distance howling like injured bears.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-03-30 at 10:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Peering around the edge of the goo-wall at the onrushing pair, Mercy sizes up the distance between the two giants and lets fly. She then guides her horse further behind the wall, to discourage any thoughts of rock-flinging that might enter the giants' heads.

Spoiler
    Show
    Revised based on map:

Mercy will start with a move north, far enough so that she can target between the two closest giants with her fireball.

Again, if Mercy think I can catch both of them with a fireball, she does so, (10d6+3)[38] damage. [S]Otherwise, she'll target the middle giant with all five projectiles of a magic missile spell, (5d4+3)[15][s]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-03-30 at 02:23 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Hoping that Smokey complies and falls back, Miss Murder edges her horse forward, gauging the timing she'll need to start just before they reach her. Nothing she could do to help the hulking construct, and it was expendable anyway. "Charge 'em on my mark, War Machine." If Smokey still hasn't moved, she raises her voice, calling again, "Get out of their way, Smokey!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly 60 hp, AC 23, 105 pp (104 pp after this turn)

"Efly, you stand your ground!" he yells mentally to the construct (free action to direct the construct)

"I'll take care of the wall, you guys just make sure you're ready"

then firefly starts to sculpt an other piece of gooy ectoplasm (manifesting astral construct, 1 pp; specs and location need only to be decided next round)

Fir

Does nothing special (relais to Prowl that we're going to charge them)

Efly, the Umberhulk construct 68 hp, 31 AC (27 + 4 total defence)

the umber hulk crouches himself and keeps his armor plated arms in front of him, ready to catch any attack (total defence)
    Last edited by qube; 2008-04-03 at 01:15 AM.
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

11. - Top - End - #131

Smokey pulls back to be 10 feet north of the construct.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

((I'm without I-net for the weekend, so he're what firefly does: the astral construct he's summoning is a small one, with the mobility feat. It'll run around one of the gaints, provoking an Attack of Oppertunity, and possibly (if he survives) flanking.

The same turn firefly dispells his wall (standard action) so that his allies (and his construct) can charge the giant (who hopefully has used his AoO).))

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Prowl
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 81/81; AC: 28, t 20, ff 19 (AC includes Skirmish bonus and Expeditious Dodge bonus)

Prowl closes with the giants, firing off another arrow at the central one, before running off to the north several yards. "C'mon le's tussle!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Shot on the Run, 25' before/25' after. Next round I'll just run after them.
    Attack: (1d20+17)[31]; includes PBS.
    Crit?: (1d20+17)[28]; includes PBS.
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]; includes PBS.
    Skirmish Damage (and +2 AC): (2d6)[8]
    Fleet Runner's Array: +2AC vs AoOs.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

14. - Top - End - #134

Init Order-
    Prowl - 27
    Smokey - 17
    Mercy - 7
    LMM-7
    War Machine - 6
    Firefly - 6
    Hill Giants - 6

Prowls arrow finds its mark in the backside of the central giant. Its run is slowed a little as it stumbles and recovers its pace after glancing back at the little lizard.

Smokey, listening to Miss Murder's instruction (knowing that a cavalry charge will flatten the giants), backs off to just north of the construct. His elemental and the giant it is tangling with exhange heavy blows. The elemental taking the worst of it.

Mercy lets fly with another fireball, catching the northern giants in its expanse. The central giants falls grinding up a furrow of earth as its body skids to a thunderous halt. The northern most keeps going, smoking and burnt but now beyond reason.

Little Miss Murder moves her horse forward ready to charge the last oncoming giant.

Firefly begins sculpting another astral construct.

The one hill giant screams You kill Brudder! I make you mush! foam flecks his lips and madness crosses his face.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Trusting Mercy, War Machine and the others to deal with the closer giant, Mercy turns her attention to the more distant giant. Not wanting to destroy Smoky's pet, she switches to sniper fire. A quintet of spinning diamond shapes lick from her hand and dart towards the distant giant.

With a glance towards the smouldering giant, Mercy retreats back behind Firefly's wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile on the further giant: (5d4+8)[20]

Move to about the centre of the wall (north south) , 20' back from the the wall.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

"Mark!" Miss Murder barks as the giant comes on alone, spurring her horse forward into a run to meet it. She gives the war-trained little horse a last spurring as she nears the giant to speed it up in order to get inside the reach of the giant's club before it could swing, and swings her star-headed flail up in a swift arc into the giant's chest. The dense iron head, despite being smaller than most weapons of its sort, is heavy enough to crush a skull, and the spikes—arranged like a star; one on the tip and four on the sides—are designed to pierce metal plating and tough skin with ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Battle Leader's Charge; does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Attack (1d20+21)[27], damage (1d8+26)[28].

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

(my video card seemed to crap out on me this weekend, but today is functioning fine..quite odd!)

War Machine watches the diminuitive female elf charge the towering hill giant. He shakes his head, and his metal mouth takes on a wry smile.

Digging his heels into the flanks of his horse, he too decides that now is the time for action.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

The raptorian lets loose a piercing whistle, drawing the elemental to him as another begins to form nearby.

Spoiler
    Show
    Calling the first elemental back to me as a free action, Summon Monster IV (Medium Air Elemental) 20' towards the giants.
    The first elemental should stop withing 60' of me, to gain the +1 attack and damage, and next turn I'll be using Elemental Healing-Air and a turn attempt to heal 5d8 damage to the hurt elemental.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

19. - Top - End - #139

Init Order-
    Prowl - 27
    Smokey - 17
    Mercy - 7
    LMM-7
    War Machine - 6
    Firefly - 6
    Hill Giants - 6

Prowl again advances on the giants letting loose another arrow at is back.

Smokey calls his Elemental back to him. Before it leaves it swipes at the giant who reciprocates both of them missing. Smokey is able to heal his Elemental as it approaches.

Shining silvery missles fly true from Mercy's outstretched hand stiking the southernmost giant, making it grunt with fury.

In a coordinated movement, almost practiced, the Wall of Snot falls as the two mismatched warriors spur their horses into a charge. The pincer charge is flawless as both of them slam into the overgrown neanderthal. The force of the simultaneous blows stopping the giant in its tracks, dropping it to the ground, blood spurting from its mouth in a wordless howl of death.

The third giant with the death of its fellows and the departure of the harrying elemental, looks for a moment at the Greys and drops its club and begins to run in fear. No Kill Groth! No kill Groth! It screams as it runs into the brush to the south.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly 60 hp, AC 23, 104 pp

hmmm; the fight is won ... on the one hand I don't want to spend any of my powers to the defeated gaint ... who is now already beyond my reach; on the other hand ... if it heals it could attack our friends when they pass through ... Efly, fly past him and kill him, will ya?

and what about the new little one ... Frfy, make yourself usefull and check out what the gaints have on them

Efly umberhulk astral construct

firefly commands Efly fly past him (fly speed: 40ft speed; run x4 = 200ft) and then kill ...

Frfy small astray construct (mobility feat)

the small astral construct, looking like a short necked, big headed ostrich, that appeared just before the wall dissolved, starts to ransack the gaints for loot ...

Spoiler
    Show
    presuming that Efly needs 3 rounds to position himself, 1 charge attack, and 1 AoO if the gaint flees again the following round...
    charge attack (1d20+15)[26] (2d6+10)[20]
    attack of oppertunity (1d20+15)[17] (2d6+10)[14]
    Last edited by qube; 2008-04-07 at 06:06 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Not willing to risk the third giant taking revenge on their colleagues as they pass in a few day, Merch rides southwest, keeping the giant in sight and firing off another quintet of missiles.

Say good night, Groth.

Spoiler
    Show
    A single move action from the horse - nothing fast. As I calculate, we've got several rounds to bring down the third giant.

(5d4+8)[22] Magic Missile damage.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-07 at 08:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Mercy's bolts strike Groth. He stumbles in his run, slamming into the earth ripping up shrubs as he skids to a stop.

Silence fills the air for a moment as the rush of battle falls away.

Two air elementals attend Smokey, and the Snot-Hulk awaits orders as the other snot thing goes through searching the bodies of the giants. It lays out a pile of coin and junk next to each giant as well as other sundry items.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

The small woman breathes a sigh of relief. From a distance, she could deal with the giants just fine...up close would have been quite another issue.

She guides her horse over to Smoky.

Nicely done. Any chance you could do a bit of a wider recon in this area - make sure that they aren't part of a larger group we've got to seek out.

24. - Top - End - #144

(We waiting on me?)

The area proves to be clear of any other hostiles, a few rabbits, and a couple of wild goats are the largest things within a half mile radius.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Mercy nods at Smoky's report of the all-clear.

All right, then! Shall we gather up the spoils and be on our way? The bodies are already half-way to cremated anyway, and I don't relish losing hours burying them just to improve the view.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Mercy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd get this moving along.

Examining the spoils with the others, Mercy grimaces at the grime on everything.

And me without a stream to wash this in.

Efficiently, she divides the coin into five equal piles, and hands 32 pieces of platinum to each of the others. She holds up the diamond.

I say we leave this with Smokey for now. I've seen priests do miracles with diamonds. Literally. And it'd be nice to have a miracle on our side, when we really need it.

When consensus is reached, Mercy remounts and waits for Smokey and Prowl to assume their scouting positions once again before she proceeds.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Miss Murder

Miss Murder nods her approval to that, cleaning her flail off on the grass. She re-mounts and glances out over the plains; they were still just high enough that the countryside wasn't totally obscured by the hills and forested ground. "If the shield's not magic, we may as well leave it here." A long-time campaigner was loath to leave anything useful behind, but being burdened with extra weight could be worse.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

War Machine

"I agree." War Machine adds solemnly. "We do not need to be burdened more than necessary."

As he rides past Little Miss Murder, he 'chucks' her lightly, playfully, on her upper arm.

"Get some meat on your bones, you hit like a girl." his metallic mouth breaking into a grin.
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-04-10 at 08:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Firefly

waisting such valuable resources, tsk tsk ... "I don't know: you never know it could come in handy ..."
    the little dromite drags the shield toward his horse and ties it on the saddle ... then clumsely mounts it again

(added "A grubby nasty looking steel shield that looks like it has been used for a frying pan" to my inventory, and take 20 to mount the horse :) )

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Smokey

"Only if absolutely necessary."
    Smokey pockets the gem and waits for the others to set off before flying.
    "Lliendil's a bastard when it comes to that kind of thing."

Spoiler
    Show