New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Draymier: A Step Towards Tomorrow

The rain was coming down in sheets. It turned the road to mud and soaked you to the skin, leaving only the items stowed in backpacks and pouches dry. Each step threatened to bog you down in soft muck or send you sliding down the slope that followed the right edge of the path. The lights of a town flickered in the distance, beckoning you with promises of warmth and food. The events of the previous week still ruled over your thoughts and the comfort would be welcome.

The creatures plaguing the hills outside Welbroe were no match for your combined skills and tactical planning. Goblins mostly, some orcs among them, had infested a natural cavern near the town. A careful sweep through the first section of tunnels had eliminated guards and scouts, leaving the inner caves ignorant of your presence. A night assault there quickly brought down the unprepared warriors and you soon found yourself facing the last of the beast's in a chamber deep under the hills. They'd fallen back and regrouped there under the guidance of some sort of orc shaman.

It was near dusk, though the storm made it impossible to tell the exact time. Keth's lantern flickered from the rear of the group, casting gloomy light out across the darkened path. By contrast, the glow of Fiero's continual light spell was steady and clear. That light had served to guide you deep into the warrens, bound as it was to ring on his left hand. Magic had been both friend and foe during the last battle.

The fight had been difficult, with everyone doing their part. The remaining warriors met your own fighters head on. Trevor was able to open a gap in the line while Gruk and Ascier covered his flanks, allowing Talanos and Isaac through. Unable to face opponents from both sides, the line of warriors fell into disarray and were dispatched. That was when the spells began, fire and ice raining down on the group as they moved to spread out and present a wider target. The shaman called upon powers that you'd not prepared for, and his spells were only halted by a Keth's Silence spell.

A wagon sat on the side of the road, covered by canvas from under which a light shone. A child peeked out as you drew near, alerted by the light of your own lanterns, but a woman's chiding voice called the boy back into the wagon's safety. Whispers from inside, at least four voices, follow you as you move past the wagon. The horses turned their heads to watch you as you passed, and you were reminded of your own mounts.

Magic Missiles and arrows dropped the shaman to his knees. Perhaps it was desperation that led to his lifting the wand above his head. Perhaps he simply wasn't going to die alone. The energy that crackled free of that wand sent a shudder through the tunnel system. Stone cracked as tunnels collapsed and tons of debris clogged passages at random. When the shaman fell dead, he'd managed to block off your route back to the cave entrance. After collecting the salvageable gear from the chamber, you were forced to set off along another path. That path had exited nearly half a day's travel north of the road you now walked.

Your packs were heavier, laden with items plucked from the creatures' horde. Fiero had made use of the Identify scrolls he'd purchased before setting off to discern the properties of the magical objects while everyone rested outside the caves. The next morning, this morning in fact, you'd tended your wounds and set off for the nearest town to divide the spoils and seek out some recreation. As you all drew near the town you could make out the shapes of buildings and houses. One building, a two story with a flat roof, seemed to be the most active and would most certainly be an inn. Fiero motioned for everyone to gather up.

"Alright, let's see if their inn has a common room. I'll pass out shares and then we'll take a few days to rest and equip. This town doesn't look too small to have some work. I'll see about another contract while the rest of you take some time for yourselves." He waited for comments before starting into the town. While Fiero had enlisted you under the agreement to provide training and fair shares of any contract funds, he was indisputably the group's leader. You'd each signed on near a year ago in hopes of honing your skills and getting your feet wet in the profitable 'Freelance Adventurer' market without dying on your first run. As you trudged towards the center of activity you passed a large sign that announced the town's name.

Malhaven.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2008-03-18 at 12:09 AM.
    "Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chants out between two worlds
    fire...walk with me." -- Twin Peaks

"I have emerged from the place of
    spells and fairies!" -- Bender, 'Futurama'

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Draymier: A Step Towards Tommorrow

Trevor

The rugged warrior toughed through the muck, his head held high with a smile breaking through the generally blank look on his face. Yes he was tired, but he was still elated at their recent escapade and couldn't wait to get a hold of his share of the loot.

His family's sword hung on its scabbard across his back. He had never been terribly bright, but he knew enough that he wouldn't like doing anything that wouldn't make his family proud of them. The sword served as a constant reminder.

He was looking forward to a night of rest and drinking at the local inn. Maybe he could convince a comely barmaid to accompany him for the evening. He wasn't particularly handsome in the face, but most women were impressed enough with his muscles to not really care. For now he is chatting with Gruk, Ascier, and Keth excitedly.

(To Keth)
    "Thanks for that last minute cure back there. I thought that sling bullet hitting me in the face was the last thing I was going to see!"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-17 at 06:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Isaac

Isaac doesn't have any comments for the commander, and then follows the group into the inn. Malhaven huh? I've never heard of it.

A short, thin, easygoing fellow, Isaac stays towards the front of the group as they go towards the inn. He couldn't keep his mind off the new treasures they had won, and was excited to get something new to use. I hope Fiero gives me something shiny this time.

Once inside the inn, Isaac will sit with the group and listen to what they have to say, interjecting a small point if needed. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but his dad always told him to only speak if needed, and he was smart enough to not say anything too stupid.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Escier

Never one to tolerate discomfort any longer than necessary, Escier got a room as soon as they reached the inn. Needing no words between himself and his twin, Ascier knew the room could be shared if desired. Not even bothering with an initial drink, or a word of explanation to the others, the elven conjurer went straight up to his room.

Hanging up his wet and dirty cloak to dry and setting his pack on the bed, Escier searched the room briefly. He then took off robe and set it out to dry as well. Knowing he could clean one of them tomorrow with a cantrip, he settled on getting the cloak cleaned elsewhere. For now, he used his Clean cantrip to remove as much of the filth from himself as possible. Satisfied for the moment, he put on his spare robe, hung a dagger and his pouches (one has money, the other has spell components) from his belt, and took his spell book out of his pack before stuffing the pack under the bed. Leaving everything else in the room, he returned to the common room with book in hand.

The whole time, his mind strayed between what spells he wanted to learn next, what treasure he would gain from his latest fray, and what Fiero might find for them to do next. Joining the others upon returning to the common room, he inquired about getting clothes cleaned, then ordered some food and drink.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Draymier: A Step Towards Tomorrow

The stern priest trudged along through the muck, his heavy holy symbol bouncing off his chest with each stride and clacking noisily against his armor. Their first foray into the world of adventuring had gone fairly well. There had been no casualties which prompted Keth to consider the mission a success. Many a goblin and a few orcs had been killed, which as far as Keth was concerned was a good thing...not so much because orcs and goblins were generally evil creatures but because they had upset the careful balance established in Welbroe, and more importantly because they disrupted the law and order of the region. He was certain Jasari would approve. Fingering the iron symbol around his neck, he said a silent prayer of thanks to his deity for seeing he and his companions through the difficult mission. He hoped to donate a portion of his haul to the church at the first opportunity.

He was pulled out of his thoughts when Trevor addressed him. "Aye, friend. That was an ill-placed shot. Thank Jasari, as it is through him that I am able to perform my miracles."

Upon arriving in Malhaven, Keth's first thought was to wonder if there was a temple to Jasari in town, or at least a shrine of some sort. That could wait until morning though. He was hungry and ready to get out of the rain and dry out by a warm fire. He acquired a room, willing to share with someone if there was a person so inclined. Once lodging was secured, he ordered a meal and a stout ale to take off the chill.
    Last edited by ToricArthendain; 2008-03-16 at 02:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gruk

Gruk simply nodded to Fiero at his words. Gruk hopes he gets lots of shineys from Fiero. He trudges along with the others as they enter town, not even paying attention to the sign. He could read, but it took time and he rarely found a use for it. Perhaps it was better to say that he rarely found a use for reading because something else was going on at the time.

At this point, his stomach was growling severely and his mind wandered to the food and drink that awaited them at the inn. He didn't much care for the rain, but it's resulting soaking didn't bother him all that much. He just tired of the drops hitting him in the face, hence he walked mostly with his head low.

Upon reaching the town, he followed the others to the inn as well as their lead on acquiring rooms. The half-orc ordered a room for himself and attempted to match the symbol on the key with the plate on the door. Once in his room, he plopped his belongings onto the floor and then looked around. Grabbing his sword and shield, he locked the door and thumped back to the main hall and looked or a table where his companions would be.

Sitting with the others he looked to the closest bar wench. "Gruk want 2 big mead and 2 big steak. And bread too. And butter. Gruk like butter." Satisfied with his order, he nodded to the wench. He then looked to his companions. "Gruk like smashing gobbies and orcs. Was fun." He slapped Trevor on the shoulder as they sat waiting for their food. "You did good. Head hurt from rock smacking you in face?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor had tried his best to get a private room, where he had deposited his possessions, save for his sword. That remained strapped to his back.

He grinned and winked at the prettiest barmaid. "Hullo beautiful, I want some ale, and some meat, and some bread and cheese."

Trevor sees that the seat next to Gruk is available. Since they both have the most in common, he decides to keep the conversation going.

After being slapped on the back and asked about his recent wound, Trevor says "It hurt bad, I think my nose was broke. Blood was everywhere but it was below my eyes so I could still swing my sword at the goblin heads. But Keth sorta sang a bit and put his hands on my face, it was burning hot, then suddenly cold. It don't hurt now."

Trevor playfully gives Gruk a punch on the shoulder. "But you are a good warrior, we killed many goblins together."

8. - Top - End - #8

Ascier rode along so far everything had worked out rather well. He chatted with Trevor making jokes about the likely hood of spending the night in a room with a lovely wench for company. His conversation was about the beauty of elven women compared to other races and a few a bawdy jokes were told as the made their way into town.

When the commander said his piece Ascier nodded his head but had no questions to ask. The sign only got a moment glance as the elf patted his horses neck.
    “Almost there boy then it a nice stable for you and a warm bed with a hot wench for me.”

Arriving at the inn Ascier took charge of not only his horse but his brothers as well. Making sure the horse was properly stable before he went into the inn. Arriving inside the inn Ascier found a table either alone or with one of the group if they called him over to them. Ordered a meal for him self and a couple of drinks. Watching his brother head upstairs Ascier knew that he have a room and bed if he could not find better arrangements elsewhere. Like most of the men in the inn he had his eye on the ladies trying to see if he could catch ones eye.

Ascier sat near the group that seemed to be sharing a table together. He saluted the other at the table and proposed a toast, “Ti new friend and our company may all our battles end like our last did with us looting their pocket for spare change.”

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Isaac called over a barmaid, and ordered a drink and small meal. He then raised his glass in the toast. "Amen to that, my elven friend. May we all find success in life." Not feeling like seducing any 'big women' like the rest of the group, Isaac retired to his room a little early, deciding to get some extra rest for the day ahead.

10. - Top - End - #10

( The horses mentioned in the previous post belong to the wagon. You have no mounts, having lost them when you were unable to return to the cave entrance you started at. Thus the trudging you've been forced to do. Sorry for any confusion. )

The building bears a triangular sign, painted green, with the words 'The Gem' across it in black. The warmth of the place hits you the moment you step through the door, water dripping from your clothing onto a stained grey rug by the door. Your entrance is met by the stares of half a dozen patrons scattered about the common area. The smells mingle in your senses; burning wood, roasted meat and fragrant alcohol. A woman, still young but having seen better days, sits behind the desk near the stairs while a slightly older man hovers over the small counter in the back. Room inquires are directed to the woman who passes along a similar story all who approach her.

"We don't get a lot of travelers through here so our accomodations may not be up to your standards. We got two rooms with beds for four that go for 12 silver a night, three rooms that suit two for 8 a night, and three private rooms for 5. Each room provides a bed, wash basin and storage chest for each occupant. All rooms come with a morning meal and a single drink per occupant from the bar each evening." She pauses to look you all over before continuing. "Laundry services are available for 2 copper per item to be cleaned."

Fiero offers to pay the rate for the largest rooms and provide those beds at two silver a night which he will deduct from your shares. Anyone who opts for a different arrangement will have to cover their own costs.

Once everyone has stowed their gear and cleaned up, you meet up in the common area. Fiero has laid claim to a small area in the back of the room cut off by curtains. As you gather at the table there a younger version of the desk matron peeks around the curtain and asks about orders. The half-orc's request elicits a soft smirk from the girl as she plants her hands on her hips. "Honey, if we had that kind of food I'd be eating it myself. I can get you all mutton in cuts or in a stew with potato and carrots. Bread and ale is easy enough, though. And two meads for the big guy. Anything else?" Once everyone has made their requests and Fiero agrees to cover the collective tab at the end of the night she hurries off to deal with the rest of the crowd, which has grown to near a dozen.

With the eyes of the tavern cut off by the curtains, Fiero begins to pull objects out of the storage chest he brought down from his room. "This was a good haul, gentlemen. You guy fought hard, but more importantly you fought smart. I'm proud to have been involved in your training and I think you may well be ready to set off on your own in a few months." He begins by sliding small pouches across the table to each of you. Within are an uneven assortment of coins and gems. "The monetary side of things comes to 120 gold per share." He follows this up by sliding a number of bottles and vials into the center of the table. "I've made my decisions on dispensation of items based on the good of the group. If you choose to trade up with another, that's your business." He begins sliding the bottles to their respective owners.

"Ascier - one potion that grants flight (Flying) and this scroll since you're the only one who can use it." A quick examination of the scroll reveals it to contain Hold Portal, Darkness 15' Radius, Protection from Normal Missiles, and Ice Storm.

"Escier - one oil to enhance your blade (sharpness) and this ring to protect you (Protection +2) since you can't make use of better armor."

"Keth - one oil to strengthen the blows of your mace (impact) and this pack (Hewards Handy Haversack). You'll find that it keeps everything you need right at hand."

"Isaac - one potion to cast off your voice (ventiloquism)...should make a handy distraction...as well as this scroll of proof against poison (Protection from Poison). If anyone needs this, it's you."

"Trevor - one strong potion of healing (Extra-Healing)...your nose will thank me...and this suit of enchanted scale mail (scale +1). Always keep your frontline fighters properly equipped."

"Talanos - one potion for water breathing and this blade enchanted against regeneration (short sword +1, +3 vs regenerating creatures."

"Gruk - one potion to charm hill giants (Giant Control) and this enchanted shield (shield +2). You've trained to use your weapon in one or both hands, so this will benefit you when you need protection over offense."

That done, he sets a small wand on the table before him. "This is a terrible device. The common name is Wand of Wonder, but it brings about bad as often as good. You all saw what it did to the caverns...and that's but one use. The possible results of activating this thing are so entirely random that it cannot be relied upon to benefit us. I will keep it as my share until I can find someone I can trust to destroy it." The girl returned with plates of meat or bowls of stew for those who requested it. Mead, ale, wine and water were distributed around the table. Fiero lifted his glass toward the center. "Eat and drink, friends. You've earned celebration."

The common area is lively during the night, teaming with just over twenty people at peak time. The woman at the desk, revealed to be the innkeeper's wife, and her barmaid daughter show no interest in fraternizing with customers. Four other women, all fairly comely and clearly regulars, make appearances at the inn during the night. Each takes little effort in cajoling into a roll in the hay, a few drinks and some idle flattery will suffice.

Those of you who spend your time carousing with the locals learn a few facts about the place in exchange for some stories of your exploits. It seems what the innkeep's wife has said was true regarding travelers. Malhaven was staging ground for troops during the widow's war, a front against the island nation of Erijon. Since the end of the war there has been little use for the place. Fishing is difficult in the rocky waters off its coast and the farms around grow enough to maintain only a steady exchange of goods within the town itself.

Around seventy five people claim Malhaven and its outlying areas as home, including several farms (and one spider ranch...whatever that is) and an old temple to a god that goes unnamed and is barely even remembered by most. Beyond that, the town is standard fare with the usual merchants and mayoral government.

Inquiries into a chapel are directed to the south of town, not bad directions when the place consists of only a couple dozen buildings. The church served the priests of Styx and Keral during the war but the town's priest has since converted it to a general place of worship for all gods. Each of the nine commonly worshipped gods had a shrine as well as a simple shrine for worship of the elements or any diety that didn't fit.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2008-03-18 at 05:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor laughs when he is handed the potion. "Next time I might lose more than a nose!"

After his laughter dies he eagerly fingers the metal scales of his new armor. "It is so pretty. I think it might take more than a rock to break through this..." He picks up the helmet that comes with the armor as he speaks.

He keeps the armor and the potion with him, not wanting to risk leaving it alone for the night. For the remainder of the evening he will not stray out of sight of his new possessions, lugging them around if need be. He eats his meal quickly, but takes the time on his ale though he will go through several flagons. As for sleeping arrangements, Trevor will require some privacy, so he will likely fork out the money for a private room. (OOC is that silver or gold? He pays it either way)

Trevor does not concern himself with any of the serious business nor does he care about learning more about the town or doing any reconnaissance. He is just too simple to worry too much about tomorrow. He is happiest when he is told what to do and who to swing his sword at. But it is moments like this that Trevor is most glad to be an adventurer.

Trevor will eventually invite over one of the available girls. "How much you wanna bet I can lift you?"
    If it moves on from there Trevor will, with armor in one hand and girl in the other, retire to his private room for the night.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-18 at 02:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Escier

The elven magic user frowned slightly as he accepted his share of the treasures. Once everyone had their share, he commented with an edge of irritation in his voice, “So by default of being the only one here of my chosen profession, I am forced to accept a lesser treasure as reward. Well so be it, after all, not much in life is fair and equitable. I can only hope that I will benefit in the future when we find better booty, and gain more than others by virtue of the same distribution due to similar default.”

Placing the potion in a pouch and the scroll in a robe pocket, Escier fell silent as he ate a hearty meal, but he spent little time in the common room after that. Shortly after finishing his meal, he discussed the room situation in elven briefly with his brother. Whatever was decided, he then paid for his lodgings and headed up to his bed for the night.

OOC: He’ll still want to share the room with his twin, each paying 4 sp. If Ascier wants another arrangement, Escier will just get a private room and spend the 5 sp. He’ll skip paying for laundry and just do it himself with cantrips when he can.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Keth remained stoically silent throughout the entire distribution of loot, accepting his items with only a nod. The pack would certainly be useful and the oil would help harden the blows from his mace but nevertheless he quietly looked over the items for a moment before stowing both of them within the folds of his cloak. He would deal with distributing his possessions into the pack in the morning. He finished his meal and drink in silence and retired to his room to get some sleep.

In the morning, he rose at dawn and made his way down to the church to make a modest donation of 20 gold pieces to the local priest. While there he prayed to Jasari for guidance in the coming day and for his spells.

OOC: Same spell array as listed in character sheet.
    Last edited by ToricArthendain; 2008-03-18 at 07:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

[OOC] Sorry I missed the beginning. Somehow missed where the threads were posted. [/OOC]

Talanos accepts the offer of the shared room. He is not normally one to trust, but his fellows had had ample opportunity to kill him in his sleep before now. He did not believe they would suddenly turn on him.

He ordered his food and drink with a simple wave of his hand to the server. When it arrived, he set to it quickly, but without shoveling it. His Guild Master had been very strict with the trainees about learning manners. "If ye look like an arse, you'll stick out like one!" the old man had said so many times that the phrase was burned into Talanos's mind. "Assassins blend into their surroundings."

He smiled at Trevor's comment about the stone. That's what you get for making such a target of yourself. Blend into the background and everyone ignores you.

When he finished eating, he picked up his weapons and drink, then carried them to a shadowed corner of the room. He took out his whetstone and began honing the blade of his dagger.
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2008-03-18 at 07:40 PM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Isaac gladly accepts his reward, placing the potion and scroll in a pocket. After he finishes his meal, he asks some of the townspeople where the best places in town are to buy some gear. Es seems sad, maybe I'll get him something shiny to cheer him up...no, he doesn't like shiny stuff too much. Maybe a scroll? I need some better armor too, one with those shiny studs on it since this one's starting to wear a little. A new sword would be nice too, I lost my old one in the caves. Isaac will stay in one of the rooms Fiero bought for them, giving Fiero the two silver pieces for the room.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gruk

The half-orc quickly accepted his items and looked them over. Nothing shiny, although he wasn't stupid enough to not realize that the shield would be very helpful. He then looked in the bag containing 120gp worth of different coins and gems guarding it as if it were some great secret as to what he got. He then watched the others to see what they had received and tried to "sneak a peek" as if he were trying to look at anothers hand in a card game.

Satisfied with his haul, he looked at the elf mage and shook his head. "Gruk not think you can use shield. You too small to lift it, so it mine. Gruk will give you drink for one of your shineys." He motions to the potion he was recently given, swirling it around in it's bottle as though he is trying to be a bit of a salesman.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once the others head off to their respective rooms, Gruk tries his hand at learning some of the same information regarding a smithy. He wanted to see if there was some type of armor that might better fit his needs than what he currently had. Satisfied that he learned the location, he continued to drink well into the night. He was careful to not drink himself into a stupor though as he had important business on the morrow with the local smithy.

OOC:
    Gryndel, feel free to have the potion if your willing to part with a big and pretty gem. Doesn't have to be the most expensive. He'd be happy with whatever catches his eye. Feel free to get creative on this if you'd like to. If not, he'll hang onto the potion.
    Last edited by maddmic; 2008-03-19 at 05:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Escier

The elf smiled at the half orc as he pulled out three gems in his right palm. He set each gem on the table in front of him as he described them, “This is call an azurite, (mottled deep blue) this one is a tiger eye, (rich brown with golden center under-hue) and this one is known as an eye agate. (circles of grey, white, brown, and green) Each pretty on its own, certainly.”

Escier put his left hand over the gems and sighed sadly, “But even added all together, they are not as valuable as that potion.” He grinned and winked, leaning a bit closer as he added in a hushed tone, “Besides, would it not be fun to have a hill giant friend and tell it what to do?”

OOC: As much as I’d like to take advantage of this, I just don’t see E cheating Gruk by trading him 30 gp worth of gems for a 1,000 gp potion. Though the half orc would probably never know, others would, and E just doesn’t want to trick his companions and potential friends.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2008-03-20 at 02:25 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

18. - Top - End - #18

(Anyone with intentions for the day that haven't already been expressed is free to do so now so that I can account for them.)

The night passes uneventfully, or perhaps quite eventfully for those who indulge in some companionship. None of the ladies remain when dawn arrives, and each of you is allowed to sleep in until as late as you desire. The city reaches it's busiest around midday and the sounds of trade reach your windows from the market below. A half dozen stalls dot the small plaza, surrounded by more permenant structures. A well sits in the center next to a statue of a man hefting a pickaxe. A crier's voice can be heard, announcing the upcoming Founder's Day celebration and the mayor's intent to host a festival.

Those who partake of the morning meal find it to be a pleasant combination of egg and ham, bread with fresh honey and milk.

Gruk & Isaac

You each find yourselves in the smith's shop during the course of the day. Averi, the town's smith, is a thick, stocky woman with a ruddy complexion. Weapons line the wall, swords of various types as well as a few maces and shields. She has a few items for display to show the quality of her work, which appears to be pretty standard for a town of this size. She also has some ready-made pieces but nothing designed to fit someone of your stature or bulk.

"I can adjust anything of chainmail or lesser quality to fit from my existing stocks by tommorrow. If you want splint or plate, I'll need atleast three days to make those adjustments. I happen to have a couple suits around from back when the army was based here. Don't get much call for plate so they've just been sitting in the back. I've kept em nice and clean, though. Good quality steel." She rattles off numbers if you inquire, and while the goods aren't cheap they're also the only armor you'll find in the village. Alterations, she claims, don't come cheap.

( Consider the costs to be as the PHB +25% )

Keth

The chapel is a one-room building on the east edge of town. The room is ringed by small shrines to each of the major dieties. As you approach the marker for Jasari, a slightly stooped man with graying hair approaches you from a door in the back. He walks with a limp, assisted by a stout wooden cane, and he offers a smile that brightens notably when you provide your offering.

"Jasari bless and keep you. This will go far in helping keep our town properly monitored and guarded. I shall see that it is devoted to the cause of law and justice." Once your prayer is complete the priest offers you bread and cheese from his pantry, asking about your travels and how the gods fare in other towns that you've passed through. You glean that his name is Rufio and that he is a devotee to Wajot and a skilled healer. As you leave, he offers you the hospitality of the chapel anytime you require and explains that he maintains a small stock of scrolls and potions for sale should you require them.
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2008-03-20 at 04:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor slaps the girl on the rear end as she sneaks out of his room "See you around, beautiful."

He yawns, and dresses, before going down to breakfast. He makes sure to wear his new shiny armor, even though he isn't going anywhere he wants to show off. He also makes sure to keep his sword with him, that is something that he never intends to trade or get rid of.

However, he decides that it might be a good idea to see if there might be a place where he could find even better armor... he doesn't quite understand the concept of magical armor, only that its supposed to protect him more. Its a funny feeling though, because the armor is lighter than his old chain suit and doesn't seem to cover as much... Thats it! He thinks, I can sell my old chain suit!

He bursts through the doors of the smithy. "I want to see what you have! I have money!" He tosses his chain armor on a table. "And I want to sell this!"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-03-20 at 10:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Talanos

Talanos awoke suddenly, then paused to remember where he was. That's right, the inn in that town...

After breakfast, he adjusted his dagger in a way known only to members of the Assassin's Guild and began walking the side streets. Just because I'm signed on with Fiero doesn't mean I can't freelance on the side, he thought, a humorless smile crossing his lips. Or maybe there's a job that can't be handled by the Guild. Besides, I need to stay in practice.

His walk was deceptivly nonchalant. Only someone astute would realize that he was always studying his surroundings. Only someone familiar with the techniques of thieves would realize that he was sizing everything up for use in combat or escape.

Edit: To clarify, Talanos is wearing his armor and has his sword.
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2008-03-21 at 10:11 AM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Inn

Gruk looked at Escier with anticipation as he showed him the gems on the table. They were so sparkly and wonderful. He couldn't believe his luck! He was getting THREE pretties for the liquid. He listened half-heartedly to what the elf was saying until he covered the gems up with his hand. Gruk looked at the elf puzzled. He then heard that somehow this liquid was worth more than ALL of those gems combined. He couldn't understand it. He reluctantly pulled the potion back and looked at Escier with a puzzled face. He couldn't understand. He thought that it was a fair trade, but if the elf said that the potion was worth much more, perhaps he'd have to test that out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Smithy
    It was a very restful night and Gruk was eager to get on his way in the morning. He dressed quickly in his armor and grabbed his shield and sword. He never left his sword behind and perhaps he could trade his current armor for something new and better. Plus since he had a new shield, his old was also expendable.

He listened to the woman and was happy to hear about the plate, but not sure he could afford the asking price. He hoped that Escier was right and the potion was indeed worth much more than gems. He cleared his throat and looked at the woman. "Gruk have this he like to give you for steel plate. It worth a lot and Gruk trade you." He produces the potion and swirls it around as if to accentuate it's value.

"You want potion? Or maybe you know somebody who give Gruk money for potion? Then Gruk give you money for armor. Oh and you know somebody who sell bow? Gruk broke his."

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

Isaac puts on a nice grin. "How much would it cost to put some studs on this suit of leather here? Could I also get a longsword while you're up? Isaac will give her the required gold for what she says.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Escier

The elf grinned at the half orc and put his gems back into his pouch.

In the morning Escier prepared his spells for the day*, then told his twin, “I intend to tour the town today and seek out any other magic users who might be here. You are welcome to come along, if you wish.” He used his CLEAN cantrip on his cloak, then sorted through his gear. Leaving his rations, waterskin, and extra robe in the room, he took everything else, then went downstairs and slowly enjoyed a nice breakfast.

After making polite inquiries at the inn about other magic users in town, Escier walked around. He discreetly asked anyone he met who looked like they might know if there were any magic users in town. While he was out he bought the ink and other ingredients he needed to make magic ink to write spells in his book.

*Change out a Magic Missile and Shield for 2 Read Magic spells, just in case.

OOC: I detailed the three gems in the previous post, each is worth 10 gp. I also held out a 100 gp pearl for identify spell. With the deduction for the ink, that leaves 7 gp and 3 sp.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Keth accepted the bread and cheese from Rufio with a nod of thanks, eating while he conversed with the priest. He provided details on the exploits of he and his companions over the last few days, ending with their arrival in Malhaven. The story was likely more informative than it was entertaining as Keth was more of a lawyer than a storyteller.

After spending a fair amount of time with Rufio, Keth took his leave, offering his thanks to the man for his hospitality and promising to return if he should need any of the potions or scrolls. He then spent a couple of hours wandering through the small market and then around the town in general, offering Jasari's blessing to anyone he passed before returning to the inn by midday to check in with Fiero.
    Last edited by ToricArthendain; 2008-03-21 at 09:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

After thinking for a bit, Isaac decides that the studded leather, while shiny, would just weigh him down too much. "Pardon miss, but I'll pass on the armor. I'd still like the longsword though.

26. - Top - End - #26

Ascier made his way from the single room he had shared with one of the local ladies. While she had not been as young as the first one he had his eye on nor as pretty as the second Ascier had to admit she was a hellcat in bed. Rubbing his eyes he made his way to his brother room.

[Escier]
    In the morning Escier prepared his spells for the day*, then told his twin, “I intend to tour the town today and seek out any other magic users who might be here. You are welcome to come along, if you wish.”

[Ascier]

Ascier said with a grin noticing his brother clean his garment with a spell wondering if he wondering if his would get the same treatment.

“Oh I think I will come along to watch your back and if nothing else be your pack mule in case you discover some tome or other you just have to get.”

Ascier joined his brother for breakfast enjoying his twins company and giving him a bit of new about the lady he had meet the night before. As they made their visit of the town Ascier enjoy the sight keeping an eye out for any thieves that may try to way lay them.

27. - Top - End - #27

Escier, Gruk & Ascier

Your inquiries, either to the people of the town or the blacksmith, direct you to a two-story shop near the center of the market and its owner, Yulani. Yulani is an older women with streaks of grey in her hair and a hint of elf to her features. Her smile is bright, however, and she makes herself available for any questions.

Gruk's potion is examined for half an hour, a drop of it exposed to various testing, before she returns the bottle to him and explains rather dejectedly that she simply cannot provide him with appropriate recompense for such an item. "I could give you three hundred gold out of my business' savings but that wouldn't be near the price you could get from a big city like Alsbros. I could offer you a few potions to cover the difference, but even then you'd probably end up several hundred gold short of what you rightly deserve for it."

The stock at the shop is pretty broad for such a small town merchant. Many potions, labeled with tags through the stoppers, are lined up for display on the west wall. The east wall holds several sticks of wood or metal in varying thicknesses, wand and rods for the initiated, as well as a few small trinkets. Tables in the center of the room hold scroll cases with labels.

(Her prices are as the DMG +5%, very fair pricing compared to most. Let me know about anything specific you are looking for and I'll see if it's available.)

Isaac & Trevor

The smith holds out a longsword for Isaac to inspect. It's pretty awkward, given your size, but with some effort you could probably get used to it. "It'll be 18 gold if you're interested. Scabbard included." Trevor's sudden appearance grabs her attention and she trots over to the display table to deal with him. A few minutes of poking at the chain later, she turns back to him.

"It's seen better days. I'll give you 30 for it, or 40 in credit towards another purchase." She motions to the walls and display cases as she says it.

(Reference the prior post to Gruk and Issac for item options.)

Talanos

It takes less than a half hour of wandering for you to decide that this town had no guild representative. It probably hasn't seen an assassin in a decade. The whole place can be walked from end to end in less than ten minutes. You make note of half a dozen beggars set up around the market district, and while the merchants seem to do well enough for themselves, it's not likely most people here could even afford an assassin's services.

You get a few looks from people you pass on the streets. It doesn't take long to realize that, beyond the town guardsmen and your fellows in the group, you are the only person wearing armor and carrying a real weapon. The occassional merchant may have a dagger on his hip but nobody's toting swords around. Even the guards wear light chain and carry heavy truncheons or halberds. In total you count a dozen of them during your circuit of the area.

Keth

People seem glad to accept the blessing you offer. All in all, the town seems to be very ordered and abiding of law. While there doesn't appear to be an abundance of guardsmen, you notice no criminal activity during your walk. In truth, you probably brought the most criminal element in the whole city with you when you arrived. Your offer of prayer is met with a loaf of bread from the baker and a small bottle of sweetwine from the vinter, each grateful to have their shop honored by the god of Justice.

Upon returning to the inn, you find Fiero in discussion opposite a table in the common room with a well-dressed man. He motions you over and introduces you to Heinrich, seneschal and herald for the city's noble family. Fiero often introduces you to potential clients, knowing the value that a priest of Jasari can add to the group in many people's eyes. Heinrich greets you with the trained etiquette of his position and explains to Fiero that he will have to speak with his master before agreeing, but that the prices seem fair and he doesn't foresee an issue. After bidding a good evening to the man, Fiero offers you a seat.

"Things look good. It seems there's some sort of bandit encampment in the hills north of here. They hit traders on their way to Alsbros a couple times a month. Lord Westerling is looking to get rid of them and I think we may be in for that job."
    Last edited by DoNotFearToTread; 2008-03-29 at 06:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

Isaac pays for the longsword (-18 gp) and then leaves for the potion shop. Once inside, he asks the woman there about potions of healing, and, after noticing the shiny trinkets, asks what they do and if any are less than 100 pieces of gold.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor thinks for a moment, a rare feat, scratches his head. 30 gold is a lot for his old armor... but 40 gold would be more if he bought armor...
    The lady had mentioned plate armor... and he stood staring at the suit on display. It was very pretty, and covered nearly all of the important points. He knew that his armor was magical, and that was neat too, but it didn't cover as much of him as that plate... or that splint...

Trevor was getting frustrated, he didn't know what to do...

"Okay lady, you can take my chain armor. Would you take the shiny scale I am wearing for plate armor... Do you have two? I know my friend Gruk already asked for one, but I want one too. This armor is magic, should be worth a lot right?"

Trevor starts to remove his armor, standing now in his trousers and shirt. He dumps the armor on the table next to his chain, looking dumbly and hopefully at the smithy lady.

"I would also like a shortbow and arrows if you have some more. That can be part of the trade!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Keth was excited to receive the bread and wine. Blessing the populace was thirsty work. A little bread washed down with wine was just the thing to hit the spot. He thanked the shopkeepers and returned to the inn.

The stoic priest conducted himself well in the presence of the seneschal, minding his manners. Not that he had any difficulty showing proper respect. Priesthood had taught him a few things it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by DoNotFearToTread View Post
    "Things look good. It seems there's some sort of bandit encampment in the hills north of here. They hit traders on their way to Alsbros a couple times a month. Lord Westerling is looking to get rid of them and I think we may be in for that job."
    Keth nodded to Fiero. "Excellent. I am more than ready to return to action. There are many that need the gentle touch of Jasari," he remarked with a hint of a smile, patting his mace with his right hand.