New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 100 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 90

If it comes down to a dance-fight, with the amount of uncroaked on parsons side the coalition doesn't stand a chance

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Two thoughts;

1. The enmity between Jillian and Jetstone is probably the most exploitable crack in the coalition. And since Jillian is extremely unlikey to betray Ansom, Jetstone might be persuaded to either switch sides or leave the coalition. This all depends on what Parson knows, of course.

2. If Parson's intention was o move the battle into the tunnels, t was a smart move. It negates the coalition's flying units, and perhaps, to a lesser extent, their extreme advantage in numbers (can't surround someone in a tunnel easily...)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Oh Yes!

It is *DANCING* time with the *Silly Cows*

/obscure?
    *Dancing* is not obscure. The thought makes me *Frumple*. I am *squeezing the juice* and I am no longer so *frumple*.

Can Arkentools make *slippery places* for Orz to come through for *games*? Then it is *happy time*.

===
    This post has been brought to you by ... FRUNGY! The sport of kings!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hinotori View Post
    Parson wasn't able to get any leverage from Charlie at all.
    At least, he made contact, it looks like they are on friendly terms. Should the battle go badly, Parson can now expect Charlie to show some effort to salvage him...

I don't think Parson can break apart Ansom, Jillian or Vinnie - their personal bonds are quite strong.
    The marbits might be a better target, now that some serious tunnel-fighting is coming up.
    Last edited by hajo; 2008-03-19 at 09:27 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by isandhlwahna View Post
    Two thoughts;

1. The enmity between Jillian and Jetstone is probably the most exploitable crack in the coalition. And since Jillian is extremely unlikey to betray Ansom, Jetstone might be persuaded to either switch sides or leave the coalition. This all depends on what Parson knows, of course.
    Remember, Ansom is Jetstone's Chief Warlord and the field leader of the Coalition. Persuading them to drop the fight would probably end the war right there. However, that doesn't seem at all likely.

Looking at who knows what:

1. Parson knows that Jillian loves Ansom.
    1a. Parson has no way of knowing that there's (possibly) any bond between Jillian and Wanda other than the failed (and thus now irrelevant) suggestion spell.

2. Jillian knows that Stanley has left, and persuaded Ansom of that.
    2a. Parson has no way of knowing that they know that. He might hope that revealing that fact will convince them to back off of him and focus on going after the Tool (though that raises the question of how he'd avoid being disbanded if the Tool gets croaked).

3. Parson may or may not know about the strained relationship between Jillian and some of Ansom's warlords (depending on just what information Wanda got during the interrogation -- Jillian didn't hold anything back, but we don't know what questions were and were not asked).
    3a. Even if Parson knows that, he has no reason to think it's good for anything except possibly causing a few of Jetstone's warlords to break allegiance, which wouldn't do all that much good.

2. If Parson's intention was o move the battle into the tunnels, t was a smart move. It negates the coalition's flying units, and perhaps, to a lesser extent, their extreme advantage in numbers (can't surround someone in a tunnel easily...)
    True (though the latter point depends on yet-unknown bits of Erfworld combat mechanics).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-19 at 10:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

It is *DANCING* time with the *Silly Cows* /obscure?
    That reminds me of *happy days* some time ago
    -HaJo

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Parson has no way of knowing that there is any relationship other than the usual one between a prisoner and interrogator, and no reason to believe that Jillian has any feelings toward Wanda other than the anger and hatred one would normally expect under such circumstances.
    Untrue. He knows that Wanda's spell was based on Jillian's love for her.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Untrue. He knows that Wanda's spell was based on Jillian's love for her.
    He knows that the spell isn't strong enough to make her harm someone she loves, and will above all else prevent her from harming Wanda, but he (and the reader) has no way of knowing whether the two are aspects of the same "underpinnings" or whether the latter is an intended effect and the former is simply a limitation that just has to be put up with and worked around.

Wanda (on a story level) and Rob & Jamie (on a metastory level) are just too cagey to reveal the answer to that question (at least, as of yet).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-19 at 10:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Congrats on reaching Page 100, Erfworld!

Rrrrrmmm ... I just want this story to move faster. As in updating more often. As it is, I forget what happened each episode before the next episode comes out.

I think there is some real hinting here that Charlie is Parson's best source, in the long run, about information of how he got to Erfworld and what the implications are for him. It has something to do with his confidence that Parson will survive, but more to do with the way he talks like a modern Earth-person.

Maggie is annoying.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy Erfworld 100th comicversary!

At first I thought that the blond Archon was dressed up and putting her hair up, but now I see it is Jillian putting on a wig.

A few points: Parson has indeed fooled Ansom into making the tunnels the primary attack as I predicted. However, he still seems to be vulnerable to the coalition air forces.

Except that we have seen no evidence of the air forces other than the presence of Jillian, Vinny, and Ansom. The rest of the forces may have been sent under another warlord after Stanley. Jillian wouldn't be happy about that, but she may not have much of a choice. Ansom may have had to send someone else to placate the other coalition warlords who (likely) share Webinar and Vinnie's distrust of Jillian. Jillian wouldn't have much of a choice because without Ansom she has no income with which to pay for her and her unit's upkeep, and she has already expended her purse.

It is not at all unlikely that the Archons would have been sent as part of that force, as the dwagons were always the most dangerous part of Stanley's forces. The archons may (now) be under orders to keep Stanley alive. In fact, they plus the dwagons would likely easily wipe out the coalition forces. If the archons are to capture instead of croaking Stanley, then Parson can easily stay alive by retreating through the portal to the Magic Kingdom. That could explain Charlie's confidence in parson's survival.

Also, If the archons wipe out the entire coalition force (that is, the units sent after Stanley), they could return to Charlie and he could easily claim that the entire coalition force (including the archons) were wiped out. I doubt that whatever coalition warlord sent along would have time to use something like the magic hats to relay information on the betrayal. Furthermore, it is doubtful that Ansom would have sent the hats, as the archons are a much more effective mode of communication (and this is in line with Jillian and Vinny using the archons services to tell Ansom about Stanley's departure).

One final point: we still have no irrefutable evidence that there ever actually was a spell on Jillian. Even if there was, we have no irrefutable evidence that it was broken.

I think the best use of Maggie's limited remaining ability would be to coerce Jillian to turn against Ansom. It would cause a goodly amount of distrust in Ansom's judgment (in the other coalition leaders), plus demoralize Ansom himself.

Oh, and now we know that there is a limit to what a caster can do in a given period.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hello, Prince Ansom? This is Chief Warlord Hamster, of Gobwin Knob. Stanley's gone, as you've no doubt concluded, which gives me enough flexibility for diplomacy to be an option. Would you be willing to parlay?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsollen View Post
    to answer the question of 'dance-fighting' think back to Westside story if you ever saw it. Two rival gangs that want each other dead walk up to each other and...dance at each other. May the best dancer win.
    Hum...

"Dance Fighting, Super Ability

A unit with Dance Fighting that provokes a combat with an intelligent ennemy unit forces it to execute a Dance Challenge. Regular attack bonuses are ignored for the duration of the combat, and the only attack modifier used it Perform (Danse).

The loosing unit commit suicide out the shamed of being served"

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Except that we have seen no evidence of the air forces other than the presence of Jillian, Vinny, and Ansom. The rest of the forces may have been sent under another warlord after Stanley. Jillian wouldn't be happy about that, but she may not have much of a choice.
    Huh? All she has to do is not tell anybody else the specific details of where Faq is and what surrounding terrain might provide an opportunity to catch Stanley despite his head start, and they can't chase down His Toolishness without her.

It is not at all unlikely that the Archons would have been sent as part of that force, as the dwagons were always the most dangerous part of Stanley's forces. The archons may (now) be under orders to keep Stanley alive. In fact, they plus the dwagons would likely easily wipe out the coalition forces. If the archons are to capture instead of croaking Stanley, then Parson can easily stay alive by retreating through the portal to the Magic Kingdom. That could explain Charlie's confidence in parson's survival.

Also, If the archons wipe out the entire coalition force (that is, the units sent after Stanley), they could return to Charlie and he could easily claim that the entire coalition force (including the archons) were wiped out. I doubt that whatever coalition warlord sent along would have time to use something like the magic hats to relay information on the betrayal. Furthermore, it is doubtful that Ansom would have sent the hats, as the archons are a much more effective mode of communication (and this is in line with Jillian and Vinny using the archons services to tell Ansom about Stanley's departure).
    While the idea of Charlie doing a bit of triple-dealing (ostensibly rejecting Parson's offer, but actually switching sides) is interesting, I don't see where the payoff is for him. If Charlie backstabs the Coalition on his own initiative, why should Parson give him anything? Also, even if Ansom didn't send a message hat, Charlie has no way of knowing that he won't send scout units with a natural-Thinkamancy link back to the column.*

*We know that Jillian's plan to catch Stanley requires units with 26+ move, which excludes 22-move doombats. Orlies apparently don't have a similar link back to the column, given that Ansom didn't know that Jillian had been captured until her hat and sword turned up.

One final point: we still have no irrefutable evidence that there ever actually was a spell on Jillian. Even if there was, we have no irrefutable evidence that it was broken.
    While it's not irrefutable evidence, the fact that Maggie tried to bring Wanda out of her state of shock and didn't mention any sign that her condition was anything other than what she expected (backlash from a snapped suggestion spell) is fairly convincing. (Admittedly, it's possible that her Thinkamancy detected that Wanda 1)had feelings for Jillian and 2)would croak her slowly and painfully if she spilled the beans. )

That said, I noted that Wanda's crash occurred after Jillian had thrown off her indecision, recovered from her own moment of shock, and started hacking away. Whether this means anything (other than Wanda managing to hang on a bit before succumbing) is unclear.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-19 at 11:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

RedWizardGuy

Hum, Vinnie is talking about all the knights he (the tool) have, and that they (knights) are rockers... it seems to me that he and jillian are going after Stanley.

So it'll be Parson vs Ansom...

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicbunny View Post
    If it comes down to a dance-fight, with the amount of uncroaked on parsons side the coalition doesn't stand a chance
    I prefer this version, but that's probably because it's less creepy than Michael Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Parson can easily stay alive by retreating through the portal to the Magic Kingdom.
    We only have seen those portals used by Wanda and Sizemore, so it is not clear if they are also useable by ordinary persons.
    I suspect those portals can only be used by casters - otherwise they would provide loopholes for sneaky invasions, as well as fast & really cheap communication.
    -HaJo

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

There's also the matter of Charlie screwing with Parson's brain. That little hypno-swirly is probably just the effect of Charlie breaking the connection, but it could be something else as well.

If Charles (can I call him Charles?) wants Parson to win -- but also wants to be paid and won't be seen to betray Ansom, he could implant some essential information subconsciously in Parson. It's a sci-fi classic! Deeply embedded unconscious deus-ex-machina info stuck deep in the plucky human's head. Perhaps that's why he's confident about Parson's chances.

That is all.

*Hypno-swirly*

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldagriff View Post
    I think Charlie knows more than he tells Parson. He seems pretty confident that Parson sees through this whole mess alive.
    I'm inclined to the opinion that that was Charles being a salesman. "Oh, you'll be just fine. [And if you are, you'll remember me flattering you and assuring you you don't need me rather than me refusing to help you, and if you aren't, it's nothing to do with me.]"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

yeah, since casters are rare, the alliance would rather take them prisoner than croak a mathamancer. I doubt Parson's 'loyalty' (natural thinkamancy or not) would go down as far as dying for Stanley.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reignofevil View Post
    Grease vs kiss. Its gonna be a dance off.

Not necessarily "Grease". It could be "West Side Story" - Tony and Maria.

Dance... fighting.

Nooooooooo...!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I prefer this version, but that's probably because it's less creepy than Michael Jackson.
    And I was thinking of this other version

Suppose Parson does offer to parley with Ansom. Why should Ansom accept? Parson is no more royal than Stanley, and is likely just as offensive to Ansom's sensibilities.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

confused Re: 100 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 90

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmerridew View Post
    And I was thinking of this other version

Suppose Parson does offer to parley with Ansom. Why should Ansom accept? Parson is no more royal than Stanley, and is likely just as offensive to Ansom's sensibilities.
    Parson isn't claiming to be Lord of Gobwin Knob. If Parson surrendered under the condition that the new ruler continue to support the existing GK units, he could be Chief Warlord under Lord Vinnie (or someone similarly Ansom-acceptable). Do royals have objections to non-royal warlords?
    Last edited by Llelldorin; 2008-03-19 at 09:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

I somehow doubt Webinar is a royal. And Vinnie himself isn't a royal either, although he is Noble.
    Last edited by Tinox; 2008-03-19 at 10:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Parson: hey ansom could you quit and go home?

Ansom: ok.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmerridew View Post
    Well, if he can convince Ansom that "Lord Hamster" is a legitimate noble title....

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh Yes!

It is *DANCING* time with the *Silly Cows*

/obscure?
    Let's *SPITTING* the fun words for several *PIECES*, and then surprising things! (I just hope the *PIECES* don't take too long).

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    Who will Parson tap next? Vinnie? The Marbits? Or even Jillian herself? Who has the power to really change things for him? Who has the least loyalty to the side, who doesn't have a grudge against him?
    Hrm, why doesn't anybody think Parson would contact Stanley? Tempt him to fly dwagons over to take the Arkenhammer/Arkendish? Just a thought. :)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Hrm, why doesn't anybody think Parson would contact Stanley? Tempt him to fly dwagons over to take the Arkenhammer/Arkendish? Just a thought. :)
    Perhaps because Stanley has made it plain that he'll kill Parson if he ever sees or hears from him again.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

One reason Charlie might be so confident Parson will come through is...

[Second call] "Listen up, girls. You have a new objective. I want the Chief Warlord of GK captured and brought here. Yes, captured, not croaked..."
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    One reason Charlie might be so confident Parson will come through is...

[Second call] "Listen up, girls. You have a new objective. I want the Chief Warlord of GK captured and brought here. Yes, captured, not croaked..."
    That could be a difficult objective, since the Archons apparently can't airlift people (if they could, Ansom & Company could have returned to the column and avoided the attack they were expecting the next turn and would have gotten if Parson had been able to get His Toolishness to listen). They'd need a flying unit that can carry a passenger (setting aside the obvious jokes and assuming that a unit is a unit is a unit for that purpose according to Erfworld mechanics).