New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Kumite Round One, Match 2; Setting Sun Swordsage vs Diamond Mind Swordsage

Come forward, Monkey King and Hassan! You shall now fight for the honor of your schools. Enter now, declare yourselves and prepare for battle!

Spoiler
    Show

First post, put a combat block and roll initiative. You also describe your one standard action and one swift of prep. You may also wish to give a little speech to the people watching, but that's not required. All posts after that, the fight is on.

The arena, as rolled randomly, is 90 ft on a side and you're 40 feet apart. Floor and walls are smooth stone. Ceiling is 40 ft above you and magically transparent and capable of letting sound through; the crowd is watching from up there.

If I can, I'll update this for you, but if nothing else, you've got a named grid.
    Hassan is red, monkey king is orange. Your map gets obstacles, seemingly randomly placed pillars of the same stone as the walls and floor, just for the heck of it. If the pillar's 5x5, it's 10 ft tall, 5x10 it's 20 ft tall, 10x10 it's 40 ft tall and reaches the ceiling. You won't be able to knock them over. Don't try
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Kumite Round One, Match 2; Setting Sun Swordsage vs Diamond Mind Swordsage

A hunched, brown cloaked figure slowly and deliberately steps into the arena. His paces are measured and precise. The person before you is somewhat under height for a normal man, most likely due to the hunched position he is in.

The cloak he wears is a deep, dark brown and seems to be made from a light, breathable material. It has a hood, which covers the figure's face with shadow. The cloak covers most of the figure's torso, ending about mid-thigh. When there is a gap in the cloak you see that the figure wears a light-brown shirt under upon his body.

On his feet you see plain, though comfortable looking, brown leather slippers. One odd thing you notice about this person is that his feet are quite "bulky" and sturdy looking. They are wider and thicker than a normal human's.

On his legs, ending just above the knees, the figure wears brown cloth breeches, the same material as the shirt, if your eyes don't deceive you.

Beneath his cloak the figure has crossed his arms against his body.

What skin you can see appears to be deeply tanned and rough looking, not scaly, but not smooth, either. Upon it's tanned surface can be glimpsed dark colored designs.

The figure slowly bows to you, extending his arms out to the sides from beneath is cloak. In each hand you see a long black wand-like item.

Spoiler
    Show

[roll=Initiative]1d20+14[/roll] << grrr...stupid site :P

I'll post more actions once we determine initiative, because that can determine a lot about what my character can or will do.

Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-20 at 11:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Kumite Round One, Match 2; Setting Sun Swordsage vs Diamond Mind Swordsage

initiative, sorry it didn't work the first post

Initiative - (1d20+14)[29]

As he bows, in a tenor-pitched voice that is measured, slow, and as dry sounding as a desert, the person speaks.

"I am Hassan Mustafa Abd'al'Aziz. May the most skilled triumph."
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-21 at 12:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    initiative - (1d20+13)[17]
    Swift Action: Take on Shifting Defense stance
    Standard Action: Activate Robe of Scintillating Colors

A strange looking cloaked figure shuffles to his position. His gait is unusual, rolling, as though he stood on the deck of a ship. As he closes, it becomes clear that he is essentially a humanoid gorilla. He is dressed in brightly colored silk robes under his heavy cloak. Perched atop his head, seemingly quite precariously, is a rather ridiculous looking little crown.

In his hand is a large sword, with a strangely segmented appearance, as though the blade is assembled of many individual pieces. He sweeps it through a florid motion as he bows somewhat curiously, and it can be heard rattling strangely.

He straightens, but his posture is strange, his stance confusing. He tilts his head to the side, almost tauntingly.

"Will you face the Monkey King?" He grins.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-21 at 12:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a flick of his hands, the two wand-like things make a *schink* sound and expand to become a black and red colored fan.

He then raises one foot off the ground, touching it to his calf.

"I will face you, Monkey King." the man says, adopting a stance of his own, shifting his fans into a whirling pattern around him.

Spoiler
    Show

since i have initiative:
    1) adopt Supreme Blade Parry stance
    2) activate item
    3) make dc 16 will save vs. his robe

(1d20+17)[23]

First Round:
    The cloaked man disappears suddenly.

(DC 17 Martial Lore check to determine the maneuver)

The whirling fans slash around and around the Monkey King, one of them for certain finding purchase in the odd little person's flesh.
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-21 at 01:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The monkey King seems unfazed by his opponent's maneuver. Though the flashing fans fly true, and his opponent's form is nearly perfect, the apelike figure contorts bizarrely, managing to avoid the slashing blades through impossible, almost drunken gyrations.

As the first strike flashes past, the Monkey King spins, somehow ending up a step away as a few errant hairs drift to the ground, shorn away by the razor-edged fan. He grins at his opponent cheekily and bobs back and forth.

If his opponent attacks again, he slips away again, and the attack does not come as close the second time.

Spoiler
    Show
    First attack missed, used one AoO to step five feet away, to J6. If Hassan pursues, the second attack also misses, and the Monkey King steps away again, to J7.

Either one or two AoOs are used up, but the Monkey King is not hit.

The Monkey King seems to stagger back a step, brushing a few hairs away from his shoulder where the fan narrowly missed him, and then stumble forward again drunkenly. Unexpectedly, as he stumbles forward, he lashes out with his "sword", the blade separating, revealing the chain links holding the pieces together, his reach extending far enough to allow him to sweep the strange weapon at Hassan's knees. He makes the maneuvers casually, almost as if the attack were an accident.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiates Tornado Throw, steps back 5 feet, and then forward 5 again, to make 10 before attacking.

Regardless of whether that succeeds, the Monkey King continues to make 10 foot moves and throw attempts until he runs out of movement (30*2 = 60 / 10 = 6 throw attempts)

I'll need to see Hassan's strength check rolls to see how much damage I do, if any.

All attacks use Hassan's Touch AC as target number.
    attack1 - (1d20+29)[33] attack2 - (1d20+29)[37] attack3 - (1d20+29)[34] attack4 - (1d20+29)[47] attack5 - (1d20+29)[40] attack6 - (1d20+29)[44]

trip1 - (1d20+16)[33] trip2 - (1d20+16)[33] trip3 - (1d20+16)[27] trip4 - (1d20+16)[18] trip5 - (1d20+16)[18] trip6 - (1d20+16)[22]
    Just realized... I was reading Tornado Throw's description too conservatively. Actual modifiers for the trip rolls are +16, +20, +24, +28, +32, and +36.

Therefore my trip roll results are: 33, 37, 35, 30, 34, and 42
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-21 at 04:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

(will post more action in an hour when my sheet is available)

Seeing the Monkey King move out of his range, Hassan attempts to recall a similar maneuver his master did.

Martial Lore - (1d20+4)[16]

8. - Top - End - #8

OOC: Hassan (barely) figures out that the Monkey King is employing the Shifting defense stance
    The stance works twice, assuming Hassan took the 5ft step to keep attacking; Hassan, make the 6 opposed trip checks when you can see your sheet

EDIT: Monkey King, when we know the results, make sure to post where in the arena you and he end up
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-03-21 at 07:55 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

2nd through 6th opposed rolls (but i don't think he gets up to six, see my post in main thread)

Str 2 - (1d20+6)[21]
    Str 3 - (1d20+6)[26]
    Str 4 - (1d20+6)[26]
    Str 5 - (1d20+6)[12]
    Str 6 - (1d20+6)[23]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

crap, forgot about this...too much stuff on sheets :P

for each attack you make, unless you have True Sight...you must succeed vs. a 20% miss chance

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can live with that. How come you only rolled 5 opposed strength checks though? Should be six.

Six concealment chance rolls, lower is better, since that's how MrScary rolled his:
    ConcealmentChance1 - (1d100)[68]
    ConcealmentChance2 - (1d100)[16]
    ConcealmentChance3 - (1d100)[34]
    ConcealmentChance4 - (1d100)[76]
    ConcealmentChance5 - (1d100)[54]
    ConcealmentChance6 - (1d100)[37]

12. - Top - End - #12

The other strength check is back in the recruitment/OOC thread. It was a 13
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, so, all the touch attacks hit, I take it? My concealment chance rolls have me hitting all six.

Going by what you said in the other thread, our opposed rolls are:

{table=head]Character|Roll 1|Roll 2|Roll 3|Roll 4|Roll 5|Roll 6
    Monkey|33|37|35|30|34|42
    Hassan|13|21|26|26|12|23[/table]

Which means the Monkey King succeeds on all six throws, at +20, +16, +9, +4, +22, and +19

Therefore my damage rolls are:
    Damage1 - (6d6)[25]
    Damage2 - (5d6)[20]
    Damage3 - (3d6)[13]
    Damage4 - (2d6)[8]
    Damage5 - (6d6)[23]
    Damage6 - (5d6)[21]

Assuming I'm at J7, and Hassan is at J5 to start... I can place him anywhere within 30 feet of me for the first throw, so I will place him in J11, 20 feet away, allowing me to take my 10 foot movement and bring him within my 10 foot reach again.

Second throw sends him back to J5. Third throw I can only plant him within 15 feet, so I send him to J10.

Fourth throw, I can only place him within 10 feet of me, so I move adjacent, in J9, then throw him to J7.

Fifth Throw, I move to I8, then throw him to I4.

Sixth Throw, I move to I6, and throw him to I8, leaving him prone, and just inside my reach.

So, the Monkey King is in square I6, and Hassan is in I8.

14. - Top - End - #14

So, subtracting 5 from each roll for DR, Hassan takes 80 damage and is prone. and we get to round 2. Hassan's turn.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Redoing damage rolls to factor in loss of +4 from improved trip on the trip checks:

Damage1 - (5d6)[12]
    Damage2 - (3d6)[6]
    Damage3 - (3d6)[10]
    Damage4 - (2d6)[7]
    Damage5 - (5d6)[19]
    Damage6 - (5d6)[22]

*sigh* Much worse rolls this time.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-21 at 03:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ok, now that all that crunchy OOC stuff is out of the way...

The Monkey King wraps his whipsword around Hassan's legs, and tumbles like a monkey, yanking Hassan from his feet and flipping him overhead as he does so. He continues to make tumbling leaps through the air, each time dragging Hassan along with his bladed chain, before the chain finally comes loose, and he stands grinning at the prone form of his enemy in the dust of the arena floor.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Round Two

Having been tossed about like some training initiate, Hassan is determined to *not* let this happen again.

He murmers a word, and then qips himself to a standing position, provoking a response from the Monkey King.

Spoiler
    Show

Designating Monkey with my Dodge (adds +1 to Touch AC)

activating an item as standard action, then adopting a 2nd stance, and finally making a move-action to get up

[12] = 7
    [6] = 1
    [10] = 5
    [7] = 2
    [19] = 14
    [22] = 17

Total: 46

As he rises to his feet, he assumes a strange stance, resembling that of his current and something else (DC 13).
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-21 at 03:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Monkey King takes the opportunity to strike at Hassan, once again moving drunkenly, the attack seeming almost accidental.

Spoiler
    Show

AttackOfOpportunity - (1d20+29)[45]

If it hits, it does 1 point of constitution damage, plus:
    Damage - (1d6+9)[15]

He grins and does a little dance, clicking his heels together as if in glee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action to activate his boots

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The attack by Monkey King misses Hassan.

Round Three
    This time Hassan performs a cartwheeling maneuver, tumbling around the Monkey King, denying the ape-man the ability to strike him.

The fan in his right hand momentarily glows black, and then the strange warrior strikes with it.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Tumble to tumble through Monkey's threatened square, and then use my Acrobatic Strike to gain a +4 to attack roll.

Tumble - (1d20+33)[42]

Attack - (1d20+28)[44]

Crit Check - (1d20+28)[33]

Damage - (1d6+10)[12]

Crit Dmg - (1d6+10)[14]

Miss chance 20% - (1d100)[99] high is bad

HASSAN'S HEAD BLOWS UP BECAUSE HE CAN'T CATCH A FRAXING BREAK ON ANYTHING AT ALL!!

Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-21 at 04:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hassan's acrobatics carry him towards the Monkey King, but his attack misses the evasive Hadozee. The Monkey King spins away, grinning, and lashes out at Hassan's legs with his whipsword again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't sweat it... your attack roll missed before the concealment anyway.

Shifting Defense allows Monkey King to step back to I5. He attempts Ballista Throw against Hassan.

Once again, vs Touch AC:
    TouchAttack - (1d20+29)[36]

If that hits, I have to check against the 20% concealment. Lower is better.
    Concealment - (1d100)[80]

Then make a trip check:
    TripCheck - (1d20+12)[32]

If it hits, Hassan takes 6d6+8 damage and is thrown to I14 where he smacks into the wall. Sadly, this does no extra damage ;)
    damage - (6d6+8)[26]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

do i still need to make a save, when my base save is 17, and the dc is 16?

The attack from Monkey King misses Hassan, passing through a space where the brown cloaked figure is not.

Round Four

Hassan frowns, the fight obviously not going in his favor.

He decides to take some drastic measure. Once again he tumbles around the Monkey King, avoiding the creature's attacks, and then striking out at his weapon.

He attempts to Disarm Monkey King, hoping to snatch the strange weapon away from him.

Spoiler
    Show

Tumble - (1d20+33)[53]

Disarm Attempt - (1d20+24)[42]
    beat this to resist Disarm

Miss at 30 - (1d100)[88] low bad

grr..what's up with the site today?!?!?!
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-21 at 06:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Yes, you have to make the save, since you fail on a natural 1.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

[ooc]Ok... First I want to know whether my attack roll for Ballista Throw hit Hassan's Touch AC or not, because 80 out of 100 is NOT a miss on the 20% miss chance roll. It would have to be 81 or higher since the scale is 1-100, not 0-99.

Second, I'd like to point out that Hassan actually takes an extra 48 damage from that Tornado Throw earlier, which I forgot to factor in (I gain my wisdom bonus to all damage rolls for Setting Sun strikes, which gives me +8 to damage for each of the six rolls.

Third, Hassan is (Apparently) using War Fans. War Fans are an unupdated 3.0 weapon, which, in all three 3.0 sources in which it appears, is listed as a "small" weapon. Converting this to 3.5, this means that it is a light weapon by 3.5 rules, and therefore Hassan has a -4 on attempts to disarm me, meaning I only need to roll a 38 to defeat the disarm check. Furthermore, my chain is a two handed weapon, which means I gain a +4 on the roll.

All that said..

DisarmCheck - (1d20+33)[48][/spoiler]

24. - Top - End - #24

He's using collapsing crescent fans, which are light exotic melee weapons from Sandstorm. In most ways, they are the same as the war fans from Oriental Adventures, except there is no bluff check in the first round of combat and they are more effective against flat-footed opponents. But you are right, they are light weapons.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

which is why i used the acrobatic strike to negate the -4 penalty from using a light weapon

but you know what, i give up. there is nothing i can do to apparently hit you (even with hitting a 44 ac)

your cheese is superior, and your dice rolls are amazingly consistent

while mine are amazingly sucky most times...and even when it wasn't, it still didn't mean d1ck because you are apparently 45+

i guess i'll need to resort to bigger cheese next build
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-22 at 08:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

44 was pretty close and yours is higher than his; you just had the bad luck to go up against the touch attack heavy discipline

EDIT: heh; so far I don't think anyone has brilliant energy weapons. That might get nuts. It's pricy, but probably worth it for what it gets you. Shadow Hand ninja with big lightsaber might be fun and ironic

Your suggestions in the OOC thread were more or less what I was thinking but people seemed to want a buff round and I didn't think it'd matter that much, except that the people with robes of scintillating colors would probably just buy minor cloaks of displacement and settle for 20% miss chance.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2008-03-22 at 09:08 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Heh, I'm not hitting much either... I didn't bother with a Brilliant Energy weapon because I have a significant number of touch attacks to start with...

But, anyway... Next gambit. In the hopes that you took a 4+ level dip in something other than swordsage...

The monkey King swings his whipsword around in a circle, avoiding Hassan's fans, and leaping into the air, allowing the chain's momentum to whirl him about. The chain bursts into blue flame as he spins, and as he touches the ground, he brings the weapon down against the ground, flames exploding from the point of impact in all directions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiating Inferno Blast.

Please make a DC 27 reflex save.

Damage is 100. Save for half damage.

Note that the book does not specifically define the DC for this maneuver, but CustServ ruling is that the DM must adjudicate DCs for these until an errata is released. No errata has been released, but the standard DC for maneuvers is 10 + maneuver level + the discipline's ability modifier. It's a 9th level maneuver, and the key ability for Desert Wind is Wisdon
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-22 at 01:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

i guess you missed the "i give up" part.

but to humor you...

Watching the rising creature, Hassan twirls about in his own way, shrugging off the effects of the fiery maneuver.

Spoiler
    Show

activating Diamond Defense, adding +17 to reflex save, making the total +30

Reflex - (1d20+30)[40]

*successful Evasion means 0 damage taken

Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-23 at 08:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Forfeits are no fun though :(

Oh well. In all likelihood Reel On, Love's character is going to pulp Monkey King anyway.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-23 at 09:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

and only being able to hit with a 5% chance isn't fun either**...becuase i can't hit you with anything else but a 20.

** yes, i know you've seen my sheet, but you've got mega touch attacks...which negates 1/2 of it :P
    Last edited by MrScary; 2008-03-23 at 09:22 AM.