New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout: Van Buren (IC)

"Wrench" Dodgson
    Wrench waits a few seconds, and asks the questions again, the text having failed to register as anything more than gibberish thanks to simultaneous ninja interference.

>What happened to Mallard? I notice he hasn't been communicating on his Pipboy. Also, do these sorts of earthquakes happen often in your experience?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

*Noting the sudden appearance of the puddle, Juggs moves wordlessly towards it, regarding the area around the water with focused scrutiny.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[7] vs 10 PE

3. - Top - End - #33

Spoiler
    Show
    Reactionary PE check.

PE vs 7 - (1d10)[4]

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "Huh. That wasn't there before. I certainly hope we're not underwater..."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-03-21 at 07:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alexis, focuses the rest of his attention on the room, looking for ways of escaping, scrutinizing everything and tapping against walls and floor to notice whether anything was hollow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d10)[10] vs 8.

((Why can't I do these kind of rolls in my -other- games, where I'm not rolling vs my score?!))
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-21 at 07:30 PM.
    A Revenant

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

((Let's take the Pip-Boy discussion to OOC))

After Moore's outburst, Cassie commented.

>I was afraid this would happen sooner or later.

Moore's pent up strength and claustrophobia slams into the barrier. The power of a frantic man trapped in a little room drives forward as corded balls of muscle tissue and bones slamm into the plastic, leading to an awesome and bone-shattering
    whump...

>The earthquakes are common yes.
    >There's about one every day or two.
    >As for Mallard...
    >Mallard was the first to be in this prison among all of us.
    >That was a few weeks ago. He wasn't lonely for long though since people have been piling into here.
    >Once, maybe twice a day a new inmate comes in.
    >Those that act out too much-
    >Don't worry, his response is well within what the Warden tolerates-
    >End up being taken back into the pillar and away.
    >I showed up about four days ago.
    >Mallard died two days after that.
    >At first everyone thought he had caught a cold.
    >Stuffy and coughing.
    >Nothing too serious.
    >But then is just got worse and worse.
    >My guess was a respiratory infection.
    >Eventually it got so bad he was having trouble breathing.
    >I don't know exactly, but on the start of my third day, robots were carrying a body bag from his cell into the pillar.

There is a long pause. Kinda Obvious considering this is probably the 2nd or 3rd day since the most experienced person in the prison died.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Juggs feels along the floor where the puddle is and detects a hair-line crack. Water must have seeped in from there. After wiping the water away, no more wells up the surface. The leak seems to have been fixed.

Meanwhile, Alexis aimlessly taps on every surface, but in his panicked state, he cannot determine if any wall or surface sounds different from another.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

*Reflecting on the discovery, Juggs mutters under his breath, mostly to himself.*

"Curious... Evidently repairs are automated as well."

After observing the area of the puddle, his attention defers again to the chiming of his pipboy. Once there, it lingers over Cassie's words, his expression transmuting instantly into one of subdued alarm as he nears the end of the reply.

*Juggs hastily dictates several queries at his Pip-Boy, fears of monitoring reduced to futility by the Pip-Boy's earlier transcription of his whispered speech.*

> Did he only begin to display symptoms upon or shortly after your arrival, or were these already established?
    > Might you be able to tell me anything more detailed about the timeline of the disease's apparent development, and Mallard's latter afflictions?
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-21 at 08:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Cassie takes awhile to respond to the question.

>I- Understand that you may suspect me as being responsible.
    >At one point I believed that too.
    >However, the other inmates suggested that Mallard was sick before I even arrived.
    >Others still said he was very old, which he was.
    >But I could tell he was strong.
    >They said he was a loner and wouldn't turn to anyone for sympathy or help.
    >When his symptoms worsened, I wanted to assist him, but the time to mingle kept us seperated, and the most I could do was communicate with the Pip-Boy while examining him through the cell door.
    >I am aware that my rigor is lacking.
    >All I can say is that the symptoms a like a cold.
    >They worsen quickly and after about 36 hours it reaches a very lethal stage.
    >Neither the Warden nor his minions could be reasoned with to care for Mallard.
    >They simply didn't care.
    >I wonder if we'll all get sick like him sooner or later.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James

James looks about nervously as the place shakes.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d10)[8] vs 7

"I haven't ever been in a place quite like this before, and it's pretty hard to make any plans if all the information appears on this thing to the overseers."

>Thats affirmative, one unmutated human.

James begins to go through a lengthy stretching process, his small body contorting into various shapes.

10. - Top - End - #40

Alexis

Visibly uncalm and unsettled as he receives the messages from Cassie, Alexis tries to regain his calm as his cell mate goes completely nuts, attempting to break through the barrier. He rationalizes that panic will get him nowhere.

With a hint of nervousness in his voice, he says:

"You'll never get out like this. Help me look around the room please."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rationalizing: (1d10)[2] vs 7

((This is so he calms down to give it another go later on))
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-22 at 03:51 AM.
    A Revenant

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Frowning worriedly as he reflects on Cassie's reply, Juggs recites another series of questions.

>Was Mallard isolated from the rest of the inmate population at any point during his illness? How is it that he came to contract this disease?
    >Are you aware of any other inmates suffering from it?
    >Finally, what do you know of the Warden?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Whump, whump, whump, whump~ Yep, this was getting nowhere fast. Max choked back a scream of frustration and turned to face Alexis with a glare. That barrier obviously wouldn't budge, but what was the point of looking around the cell? Still... It was the only available choice...

"Tch, the hell are you looking for anyway?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (1d10)[8] vs. 8

As he started looking around with Alexis, another thought came to him.

> ...How powerful are these robots, exactly?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss

"Tchh. Well, we can't just stay here and rot either." Joss scratches his chin a bit.

>Okay.
    >What have you guys found?
    >Any loose panels, ventilation ducts, anything?
    >I'd rather not tussle with robots during the three hour free period.
    >Oh, and, I'm not a mutant either, whoever wants to know.

{{Out of curiousity and desire to find out which PE and IN Joss uses, what time is it?}}

14. - Top - End - #44

"Wrench" Dodgson
    >This is very important, Cassie. How long have you been in here? he asks across piptochat.

>I'm sorry to break it to you all, but our time here is limited - I'm certain we're subjects for a biological weapons experiment. Nothing else could be the explanation.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Juggs looks to Dodgson, as he overhears the man's dictation. Upon the conclusion of the transcription, the mutant replies.

"Your assessment seems somewhat premature. It remains a possibility that whatever disease killed Mallard was contracted prior to his incarceration here, incubating for weeks before the onset of symptoms and death. I find it best to acquire further details before arriving at such hasty conclusions."

The response is broadcast through his Pipboy.

16. - Top - End - #46

"Wrench" Dodgson
    >Cassie has been here for four days... How long has everyone else been in here? Can anybody put their entry any earlier than Cassie? You haven't been blacking out for long, have you, Cassie?

Wrench thinks. Biological specimens in a twisted experiment was the only reasonable explanation. Nothing else would make sense in this mad world.

>If my reasoning is correct, we have at least a week. That is all we can count on.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Satisfied with his attempt to preempt undue panic amongst the cells, Jugg cycles through the incoming messages as he waits for Cassie's reply to note a curious inquiry. As the body of the message desires confirmation of non-mutant status, he decides it best to maintain silence for the present, returning to his mattress.

18. - Top - End - #48

Alexis

He sighs deeply as he starts looking for clues again. As he receives the messages on his pipboy, he starts getting a better picture of the area they're in. One thing seemed to press into his mind: He needed to get out of here. And quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    GRumble

>... Wrench? If nothing happened before he contracted the symptoms... then they might be using either a volatile gas to contaminate us... or the food and drink provided.

VT: >Who might you be? Your number is different from ours.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-22 at 08:27 AM.
    A Revenant

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d10)[4]
    A Revenant

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James James ponders the discussion of biological testing for a while as the debate rages on. Would it be likely that he would end up in a government testing facility twice? Once to fix him, once to heal him? It seems pretty unlikely, but it could happen. On the other hand, he muses, it could be just bad luck. With lack of medical attention people could get really sick, he'd seen it on an oversea mission where a bunch of new recruits suffered from a bout of what was thought to be cold like symptoms. Some were near death before medical attention could cure them.

Well James, thinks the small man, if this is a government installation it could be that some of the old protocols were in place.

>It could be that it is a testing facility, but it could
    >also be that the poor hygene and lack of medical care
    >just did him in. Who knows, *chuckle*
    >maybe it's just that the snake is in the water.

Spoiler
    Show

James releases the pip button, and begins to examine the device while he hopes and dreads that the code "the snake is in the water" is picked up as the code phrase that it is. I'm here, I'm military, I'm friendly. However, he secretly doubts that it will achieve anything.
    Last edited by webgem; 2008-03-22 at 11:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Those searching their cells quickly discover the hollowness of the floor, the thickness of the side walls, the odd consistency of the back wall, and the two hidden panels. One next to the clear barrier and the other next to the desk.
    The pip boys indicate it is currently approaching 1700 hours. Five in the evening for those who could understand.

>I'm not to sure what you mean, Mister Wrench.
    >But let's see.
    >Mallard was the first to come at around 2-3 weeks.
    >Then there was Henry and Clay twenty-four hours after Mallard.
    >They seem fine.
    >I-

There is a screeching sound like feedback on a microphone. Ringing through the central chamber and easily through the clear barrier crackles a very nasal, mechanical voice. On occassional however, you note that the voice fades from a nasal chatter to a low, verbose, and cultured sound, and back again.
    "Hello, inmates, and welcome again to the USP Tibbets block 3. This is-is-is- Important in that-at-at..." The voice goes silent for a second and the lights flicker.
    "-Unreliable. Computations are not what they used to beeeeeee- So 'we' have a great deal of work to do before 'we' can start dealing with 'you'. You, as in not 'you', should be made aware, as per 'our' regulatory requirements, to be informed that-at-at... I need to stop saying 'it' in order to avoid 'it'... Bear with meeeee-" The voice stops again, but without any flickering.
    "Regulation requires me to inform you that due to technical difficulties in no part pertaining to me, but rather to the strike by our IT and technical staff which has been going for- one hundred seventy-six years... A personal note is that they are very, very stubborn despite personal efforts to 'crack down'.
    "But I digress. Due to limited computing, we have only just finished our necessary allotment of resources to determine 'it', as in 'you', have not been regarded at the top of priority unlike the other blocks. That is something that 'we' and I will be intended to repair in a mere matter of moments.
    "In the interest of efficiency, all of block 3 shall be placed under all necessary programs assigned that have been late by well over five hundred eighty-one hours. My calculations therefore suggest that a fifty hour regimen can be used to cram all that is neccessary into your schedules.
    "Being volunteers and having had well over the recommended time off, which now allots to fifty-two and eighty-two-- repeating-- days of time off, a little overtime that is unnnnn-der c-c-cut would be... GOOD FOR YOU!"
    There is a very long pause. After about a minute your Pip-Boys chirp.

>That was the Warden.
    >But it has never been that ta-

THUMP!
    CRACK!
    The entire cell block shudders again, more violently than before, the lights flicker and the mechanical voice warps. Something snaps in the ceiling of everyone's cell. Juggs is almost smashed in as the panel misses his face by centimeters. Sparks shower harmlessly on the inmates as an armful of insulated wires tumble down and hang like a brahmin with a hernia. Somewhere else you hear the sound of a water main breaking and yelling. In the main chamber you see a shower off water coming from the roof and crashing down on the excercise yard below, but seems to be draining in rivers to the other walls before pooling.

The Warden's voice returns, much more diminished.
    "Whoa. Okay, time out. What the-the- was that-at explosionnnn? That doesn't sound like the prison super-superstructure caving in again? It sounded hiiii-higher. I'll get back to you all in one mooooooooooooooment..."

>What the *expletive deleted* was that?
    >Is everyone alright?
    >What about the rest of you?
    >Is it draining?
    You imagine she is sending the message to all the block members and not just you new folks.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Joss

"Did it say 'cave in'? It didn't say 'cave in', right?" Joss throws a worried glance at James before taking a long, hard peek into the hole in the ceiling. "I wonder if there's room for us between all that wire and junk..."

{{"PE vs. 5" - (1d10)[1]}}

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Joss can guage that the crawl space is about 30 cm tall and 50 cm wide if one could burrow through all the wires and pipes. For an average human, that is an extremely tight fit. The crawlspace runs from the door to the outer wall along the ceiling. However no lights are there to indicate what's at either end. However, a few sparks light the area in the direction of the door.
    In the distance Joss can hear another distant rumble.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Juggs jolts suddenly erect as a salvo of debris crashes to the floor about him, his bulk swerving just in time to avoid serious injury. He appears surprisingly calm and collected in spite of the mortal danger and trauma recently experienced, little but a tense grimace betraying any sort of emotional response.

"It seems as though my queries will have to wait. I fear this facility is under attack. No natural phenomena or structural deficiency would inflict damage so sudden and specific.

Despite the harrowing circumstances, the mutant manages an odd half smile.

"On the bright side of our rather tenuous position, at least we may conclude with all certainty that our captor is indeed an AI."

He then looks carefully about the ravaged cell, casing its parameters throughly, especially attentive to any potential escape routes.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[2] vs PE 10
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-22 at 04:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Aside from the fallen panel and the milieu of wires. The cell itself seems to have suffered no other sorts of damage. You occassional hear a zap of electricity coming from the tiny crawlspace in the ceiling.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Though the crawlspace is almost certainly too small for the 9 foot mutant, Juggs draws closer to the hole in an attempt to discern whether it might be more suitable for his companion, though finds the sparking wires and sizzle of electricity none too reassuring.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[9] vs 10 PE

27. - Top - End - #57

Alexis

He looks at Moore for a moment, blinking his eyes, completely overwhelmed by the new series of events.

"Huh, okkk..."

> I don't know about everyone, but I'm trying to get the hell out of here.

> Cassie, if you have anything to tell us about any defenses and robots and the like, please do so now.

"And you... you're free to stay if you want" He grins, then rushes and attempts at squeezing through.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[8] vs 7
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-22 at 06:29 PM.
    A Revenant

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Juggs' observation is that yes, it is very simple for a human sized person to enter the crawlspace. What's in there however is a complete unknown. Not to mention the numerous tangles one could get in. Wrench would definately need a light source of some kind, aside from the occassional sparks. Near the door end of the crawlspace, you notice that several of the wires seem to be attached to some kind of power transforming or something with a large cable leading down. You imagine that it runs parrallel to the right side of the door frame.

>The only thing I know about the defense are that the robots are not patient and will cause serious injury if they have to.
    >Though I doubt you'll be able to get out anyway.
    >So long as the barrier has a current going through it, the seams won't form.

Alexis on the other hand quickly learned the first party of the trouble with the duct first hand. With his legs flailing from the hole, he seems to have gotten himself stuck at an odd angle. Can't see the transformer. If there is a God in the world, he is probably laughing his butt off.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Please make sure to write down what you're rolling against. Sometimes your descriptions do not make it completely obvious what you are rolling. It'll take about 1 minute for Alexis to get unstuck, whether that be getting out of the space or crawling deeper inside. If Moore helps him, he'll be able to achieve either immediately.))

29. - Top - End - #59

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "I think I know what you're thinking, Juggs, and no, it's a stupid idea. The cables are all still live, and a lot of them are exposed. Even if this suit is insulating, I haven't got any tools to do anything useful up there."

Wrench takes a step back from his Super Mutant cellmate, and examines the hanging cables. "Careful - most of these cables aren't safe at all."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[39] vs Electronics 38%

Say, shouldn't Electronics 38% be enough to gain an automatic understanding of the more basic principles of electrical cables? Just, say, ID'ing certain cables based on colour, so he knows 'Okay, this is the ground, if it breaks I'll be fine standing on it'

EDIT: Wow. Failed by a single %. Any chance for a runners up observation?
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-03-22 at 07:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((I'll certainly tell you as soon as I stop chortling.))

Sparking suggests that a connect is bad, therefore somewhere along the cables, the tremor had caused something to come loose. The hanging cables are tied together with plastic bundlers. Some of the cables are in a conjoined molding in order to cut down on the clutter however several others are loose. The wires themselves are insulated but there is no telling where the loose cable is and if it is running a current through a metal object up in the crawl. For all you know, you might inadvertantly get zapped by placing your hand on a girder.
    While examining the wires, sorting and twisting them around to see any codes printed on the insulation, you end up getting to arm caught under a bundle of cables and twist away, not paying attention. There is a loud pop and a flash from in the crawl space with the sound of sizzling.
    Although the pressure in the room remains the same, your body almost reflexively tenses as you hear was sounds like pressurization like when you clap the palms of your hands against your ears.
    Juggs notices a hairline fracture on the cell's barrier. Barely visible, it forms the shape of a doorway. It still feels rather solid however and your finger doesn't register the break.
    Last edited by Kain_Tempest; 2008-03-22 at 07:57 PM.