New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout: Van Buren (IC)

VT

"You're forgetting that these robots are connected to the AI in question. Anything and everything it hears, they hear, and vice versa. You may as well try to make a noise that a human hand can hear but the ear cannot. As for taking offense at your obvious bias against non-living humanoids, I do not. It is understandable that, a being placed in your position, will trust creatures that are closer to itself than a creature completely alien to it." VT makes no effort to assist in the search for another escape. He does, however, assess the potential injury of his charge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doctor Check on Cassie:

34 vs 42.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

The diagnosis suggests there are no problems with your charge. No overt injuries are detected, but something seems rather curious. However, the stirring of your charge stops any further query on the matte. Cassie slowly opens her eyes, feeling groggy and looks at VT. She touches her temple and winces.
    "Sorry." She murmurs.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am aware of the integration of the various robots with this 'Ulysses'. However, it remains a possibility that silent communication via pipboy as opposed to anything audibly detectable will buy us precious moments due to lag between its processing and delegation, whereas a machine might know to respond instantly to any suspect noise. This is doubly true should the AI be malfunctioning under stress as it seems to be doing. Of course, if the flow of information is indeed instantaneous, then the gesture is a futile one, but as we've nothing to lose by utilizing our pipboys for quiet distance communication, and quite a bit to gain, it only stands to reason that we continue to do so."

*As Juggs happens across the barrier, he frowns and sighs deeply in obvious chagrin, his eyes searching for some alternate route to the control booth, or perhaps a means of climbing up to it. The mutant's senses also test the glass, as if gauging its resilience.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[2] vs 11 PE

Lastly, my preferences are not so much a consequence of discrimination as observed competency. Cassie has proven herself capable of operating the control interfaces effectively, and we are on a clock. While I do not doubt your aptitude, you must forgive me for opting for certainty in such desperate circumstances."

*He then notes the peculiar behaviour of the Fixits, and focuses on the mechanical critters, attempting to better discern precisely what they're doing.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[5] vs 11 PE

"I don't like the look of this. These machines are up to something that undoubtedly isn't in our favour. Perhaps we should preempt their objective."

*With Cassie rousing into consciousness, Juggs returns his attention to the android.*

"And how does your patient fare?"

*Attempting a reassuring smile, he nods at the human.*

"That's quite alright. How are you feeling then? Ready to charm a few more consoles?"
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 04:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

VT

The android makes eye contact with the awakening human. It's smile remains unmoving, and it's eyes remain unblinking. "Good morning, female human suffering from farsighted-ness. The other humanoids have placed you in my care, and have left to find a control panel for the elevator. Why they don't simply force it open is beyond me, but I'm only programmed to fix humanoids--not understand them."

VT carries Cassie until she signals that she's capable of standing, at which point he places her on the ground.

EDIT: VT addresses the question raised by the super-mutant. "My patient is suffering from an acute case of eye degradation that has resulted in an inability to distinguish shapes at long distances. Other than that, she is healthy. As for my capabilities in computer-use.. You would do well to remember that I, unlike you 'living' creatures, am run and governed by a CPU. Because of this, using a computer is as easy to me as breathing and blinking are to you."
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-03-27 at 05:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

*Juggs looks to the elevator, and back to the android, a quizzical look on his features.*

"It is inconceivable that we'd be able to force open those doors. This is a prison facility, and that happens to be the primary exit. I doubt anything less than shaped explosives would suffice in breaching them."

*Looking with concern at Cassie, he nods in reply to the machine's statements.*

"Again, I do not doubt your capabilities, but I have also not seen them demonstrated. As stated before, these are matters of life and death, which compel us to act with utmost certainty. Needless to say, I am more than willing to defer to you in the event Cassie is unable to contribute in her normal capacity."
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 05:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

VT

"It is a prison, yes, but we are not the first people to go through here. Logic dictates that this elevator is little more than an elevator, primarily because our 'rescuers' went through this area without any trouble. Do you see any signs of plasma scarring? Any signs of combat aside from the decomposing sack of meat in the corner? No, you do not, because this place was obviously not taken with force. Which leads me to the conclusion that the elevator before us is not reinforced."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

"Perhaps this is because the elevator wasn't forced open so much as accessed conventionally through its corresponding terminal. The corporal was clearly making a beeline to the control booth, further suggesting the plausibility of this theory."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

The glass looks heavily reinforced. The darkened nature of it likely intended to obscure the operators within. However, Jugg's keen eyes spot very slow movement of something beyound the glass.

As for the Fixits, one finally scurries out from undernearth the android, weight down by a metal playing piece about four inches wide on each side. Like scavengers, they are breaking down the android into manageable chunks. Carrying their payload they quickly head towards the Fixit hatch in the pillar. Soon, two more join in the break down procedure, wittling off armour plates and hurrying back to the hatch and dumping them down. Three others almost seem to materialize out of nowhere and seem to be studying Anderson's remains, likely determining their value. On whole, eight of the creatures are now cleaning the place up. It is almost like seeing an accelerated ecosystem. Greater organisms have perished and now these Fixits, the scavengers and maintainers of Tibbet's status quo are not breaking down the broken things. As garbage?

Easing out of VT's arms, Cassie examines the console on the control booth.
    "No this doesn't seem like an actual computer console so much as it is just a passcode device. There is no way to trick it as is I'm afraid. I'd need a card and the passcode in order to open this, and I doubt we'll find either down here." Cassie ponders this puzzle.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alexis

He smiles as Cassie gets up and makes her diagnostic as usual. He felt a sense of relief. Then, walking to the group he points a finger towards the two other corridors.

"Okay, well everyone seems to be fine, that's important. Looks like the robot is being disassembled. But see those corridors? There might be another way in. Maybe a fixit vent again."

Taking the knife from his pocket, he walks forward to the corridor on their right, taking a look inside very carefully to see anything of interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d10)[6] vs 8
    A Revenant

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

*Juggs nods.*

"Though your observations are accurate, I had other objectives in mind for your talents. There is a control booth presently beyond our reach which likely exercises jurisdiction over the nearby elevator, which we presume to be our way out."

*He points towards it.*

"Assuming we can make our way there, we'll need you to operate the interface, and secure our exit. That said, it is possible that we may find a keycard on the corpse of the corporal, swarming with fixits as he is..."

*The mutant frowns, a sigh of exasperation squeezing past his lips.*

"That still leaves us without a passcode however, unless this also happens to be on his person, but it'd be a start all the same. Alternatively we can try to break through the barrier, but I'm sure that if this is at all possible to begin with, it'll require a signifigant amount of time. Time we may not have. The fixit shafts may also prove a viable avenue of travel for our friend Torres. Hopefully the additional accessibility will allow him to produce something applicable to our situation."

*His eyes then narrow to daggerpoints, and he studies the glass intently.*

"I have also noticed something lurking beyond, its movement is slow and deliberate, likely an android lying in wait."

*Juggs steps closer to the barrier, attempting to more accurately discern the curious object.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[8] vs 11 PE
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 06:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we really need to roll perception for everything? Can not a simple look show obvious things without having to roll first? I note that Wrench's cursory look at the destroyed android didn't yield a description.

"Wrench" Dodgson
    "It's actually 'Ullysses'. Yes, Ully - whoever came up with the acronyms must have made a mistake. That, or our host is more deranged than we suspected."

He turns his attentions to the panel.

"I suppose all we can rely on is the necessity for manual maintenance on malfunctioning hardware - surely the designers were not so stupid as to rely on total automation. Even then, if we can figure out where, the fixit access could be broken into. Come on, give me a hand figuring out if it's possible to crack this puppy open."

PE 7 - (1d10)[10]
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-03-27 at 06:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since when were PE rolls universal? Whenever I've personally made one, it's typically been to garner details that might not be immediately obvious.

*Levelling his powers of observation at the panel, the mutant assists in Wrench's attempt at discernment.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[10] vs PE 11

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((First of all some clarification of the area. The following is a map of the region you are currently in. This isn't of course your fault, but my lousy descriptions.

Numbers are elevators to the corresponding block.
    A = Anderson's corpse.
    B = Stairs up to catwalk on level 2.
    C = Catwalks to control booth.
    D = Control Booth covered in black glass on level 2.
    E = Triple pillar, accessed from level 1 and runs up through D and into the cieling.
    Red X= Door to control booth where the card reader is.
    Blue X= Where I think you were.
    The wedges form the 'canyon' walls through which Anderson passed to his ambush.

I'm not long clear on where the party is in relation to these two points. Eventually however, Alexis will determine the make up of the chamber.))

Alexis' explorations quickly determine the make up of the room which is mapped by his PipBoy ((Roughly as above.)) The panel looks like a simple pry job from Jugg's perspective, using some kind of flat tool could easily get inside and pop it open to expose the guts. But there's no way the architects would have made it THAT easy.

14. - Top - End - #224

Alexis

Coming back from his scouting progression. Alexis returns to the group. ((I assume we're all up on the catwalk on level 2 then, trying to crack the passcode or bypass it.))

"Well, it's everywhere the same. Each catwalk has a cardreader and there seems to be nothing around here. Literally. I went around in a circle as you can see from your pipboys. There's nothing there and noone aside from our late soldier friend. And aside from the moving figure behind the glass, Juggs. I also think whatever it is, it's nothing good for us. If anything I'd like you all to ready whatever weapons you have, because it might get rough at any moment."

He turns back again. Walking away from the group before turning to VT.

"VT, as usual, take care of Cassie when she moves around, she's your patient now. When we get in there, it'd be best if you start working on the control booth to bring the elevator, Cass'. The rest of us will deal with whatever that thing is."

He moves away from the group going down the stairs.

> Any luck with bypassing the cardreader, Wrench?

He approaches the late soldier's corpse and attempts at finding the assumed magnetic card in his possession.
    A Revenant

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

"It seems like a simple matter of leverage to crack open the panel, but I sincerely doubt a maximum facility like this would feature security so lax. My assessment is that it's either stronger than apparent, or protected against meddling by some form of trap mechanism, likely electrical. Even if we do manage to bypass it, we still have the likely android beyond to worry about. You are welcome to pry it if you so wish, any durable; rigid flat object will do. One is likely salvagable from the remnaints of the destroyed robot, should any remain. Alternatively I suppose we might rely on the android or Max. They seem most capable of performing the job."
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 07:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

VT

The android addresses Juggs' observation. "You would assume that, but organic logic is often flawed by fear and various other unwelcome hormones flowing through their biological system. To wit: This facility is automated, and as such there is no need for a control booth on the outside of this room. Because of that, the soldiers would have been forced to open the elevator shaft without access to any sort of control panel. I do not expect the elevator is anymore reinforced than the door leading to the control booth."

When Wrench speaks, VT seems to take his comment as a personal insult. "Organics die, human. Automaton ensures that a facility continues it's function long after the death of those responsible for running it. The only reason humans are still alive are because of the Vault-series, which were automated for the most part."

VT addresses the glass while Cassie looks over the passcard reader. He steps up to it, and in one fluid motion gives it a hard punch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength- 2 VS 7
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2008-03-27 at 07:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

James walks over after hearing Cassie's reflection that it is a simple pass device, and the loud noise of VT slamming into the control panel. He smiles at the brute force approach.

"Simple, and hopefully effective."

James examines the wiring leading to the control panel.

"Now this I think I might actually be able to do something with. I'll need some tools, mainly a screwdriver, and a wire cutters, and a pliers if we have some to do some splicing."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d10)[1] v 7 perception to examine the set up and check for traps
    (1d100)[63] v 37 percent lockpick

James attempts to use the tools provided to override the cords to the pass card reader.
    Last edited by webgem; 2008-03-27 at 07:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

*The mutant frowns as he contemplates VT's rebuttal.*

"I'm afraid I disagree with your conclusion. Though it is true that fear often proves a signifigant hinderance to rational thought, that soldier, though admittedly frightened, did seem in reasonable control of his faculties, moving with careful tactical deliberation. I further have no cause to doubt that every applicable floor yields a manual means of controlling the elevator, to say nothing of its internal interface, due to the need for redundancy and human access in the event of technical failure, hence the existance of the control panels thus far witnessed. Nevertheless, I shall try to determine whether your arguments hold merit."

*Juggs moves to get a closer look at the elevator, bringing all of his senses to bear against it, evaluating its constituent materials and components visually, testing density, thickness and rigidity with knocks and vibrations, even pulling at the centre crease in an attempt to force it open.*

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10)[10] vs 11 PE, (1d10)[6] vs 6 STR
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 08:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Huh guys, where exactly are you? The door with the card reader isn't an elevator door.))
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-27 at 08:41 PM.
    A Revenant

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

OOC: sorry, I just thought that VT was accessing some sort of lock's cords, and I thought James should try to open it. If that isn't what's going on, James will just go about searching trying to help the effort.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Idly, I don't think he was headed for the card reader. Why would he, when the ladder to reach it is right next to the elevator for Cell Block 3?"

Max eyed the charred remains, and the fixits, standing a good distance back, away from the robots. He had pretty much ignored the mutant's suggestion; hell if he was getting shocked by some countermeasure for the control panel. Then again, VT and Juggs didn't seem fazed at all at the possibility.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

The sound of the punch alerts the being inside which stops. Slowly turns form left to right, and then pivots 180 degrees and moves to the entrance that the control booth the posse is trying to access.

Torres' fiddling with the wires and circuits proves to be unsuccessful. The panel sparks, however nothing comes of it. Juggs attempts to bust through the door, ((Or elevator door, whichever you chose.)) proves to be ineffective. The door simply doesn't budge.

The Fixits seem to be aware that something is wrong. They quickly complete their task, emptying themselves of salvage and then start fanning out from area A, looking as though they are looking for the source of some kind of disturbance.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Juggs is currently at the elevator door. After moving towards it, he attempted to determine whether or not it was fortified, and able to withstand being forced open.

>As I suspected.
    >The elevator door is reinforced.
    >It'll be impossible to open this with brute force given the tools at our disposal, or perhaps more appropriately, the lackthereof.
    >We must access the control booth.
    >There is simply no other option.

*Upon relaying his findings, Juggs hastily rejoins the team at the second level.*
    Last edited by Surrealistik; 2008-03-27 at 09:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Alexis

Back on the first level, approaching where the remains of Anderson were, he examines them (Unless the Fixits already cleaned up the place.). He is trying to find the control booth card or maybe a paper with the code in it.

If he finds nothing or the corpse was already cleaned up, then he will join Juggs on level 1 near the elevator door, simply checking whether it worked by pressing the conventional button. (if there is one)

If nothing happens, he just stays around Juggs, going back on level 2 with him.

"How the hell are we going to get out of here."
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-03-27 at 09:18 PM.
    A Revenant

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

James looks up as Juggs returns.

"Well, I thought that would work, I could try again but I'm worried about frying the door, if this will even work. It's a bit more technical than I expected, but I'll try again if you tech experts think it is safe."

He looks inside the door, "Also, that thing doesn't look happy, plus those fixits aren't exactly ideal playmates."
    Last edited by webgem; 2008-03-27 at 09:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Alexis

"Well, I'm no tech experts, but this one door out of three, so you can try on it until you fry it if you want for all I care, we've got two spare."

He looks towards the figure, silent, waiting behind the door.

"Not exactly sure how we'll manage once we're out. Hopefully there's a few vehicles and we're not forced to flee on foot."

"But I suppose that's pushing it... let's expect the worse case scenario."
    A Revenant

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right then team. I'm going to leave it to Wrench to work his magic. If all else fails, we're going to have to make a collaborative effort to break this door in. Even though one of us would doubtlessly prove unsuccessful, I am confident that through cooperation, our strongest can force this obstacle into submission. VT, Max, Torres. We'll be working together to do precisely that should the situation demand as much."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

James Torres

"Allright, let me give this lock one more try, I'm usually pretty handy with them, and if I can't do it, we'll let wrench do it, be ready for anything team, weapons ready."

Assuming everyone gets their gear together and in a somewhat defensive position, Torres attempts another go at the lock, trying to bypass the code lock system by fiddling with some wires.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d100)[95] vs 37

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Torres hears and angry his as a Fixit climbs up to the panel, pawing at the air with its claws. Apparently irritated that he was messing with the mechanics. After waving Torres back from his continued fumblings with the contraption it starts busying itself trying to repair the damage caused by him.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

Blargh, all this time I thought we were up on the catwalk. My previous post makes no sense now =/

Max glanced around the area, shaking his head at what he thought to be general incompetence. Sure this was an adventure, but this was anything but fun.

"You see that? Damned robot running around punching things and drawing attention to us."