New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Brickwall's Exalted

Mars Day, 28 Descending earth, 768

It's a bright, sunny morning in Epischa. People are happily walking off to their jobs, full of delicious breakfast consisting of fresh fruit and bacon. You know this because you have just partaken in such a breakfast at the local inn, served to you by an attractive girl named Crystal Waters. Though the inn was busy, most of the patrons have left now. A couple people still remain, but the most prominent group is the five sitting together at one table. Stone Dust Lion, Huang, and Xan are conversing with their new friends, Grinning-Fox Shin and Ji Chan-woo. A few mercenaries sit about, a couple of them trying to hit on Crystal Waters, but are for the most part still nursing headaches from last night's surprisingly strong drinks.

The town, as you've noticed, is built entirely of stone structures that look older than the Empress. Food is a bit pricey, but you can find most anything man-made here cheaper than you'd expect, and of good quality. In the center of town stands a statue of a male clad in heavy armor, weilding a preposterously sized ornate axe, standing beside a simhata. He has short hair, and distinctively masculine features. His forehead appears to have been chipped. Those who can read Old Realm recognize the glyph at the base as the name "Ahemann".

Crystal Waters comes to take your empty plates, bending over enough to show off her cleavage quite indecently. She gives Shin a smile and a wink before taking the dishes back to the kitchen.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Brickwall's Exalted

Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin fails to notice Crystal Waters and turns away, scratching his head nonchalantly. He adjusts his cobalt-tinted glasses and knots his ponytail tightly, securing it with a chopstick: on a lesser man, this would look foolishly feminine. Perhaps it is Shin's confident posture, or perhaps it is the fact that he seems...a bit blurry. Whatever the reason, he carries himself with the air of a man who simply doesn't care, at least so far as others are concerned.

"If you don't mind me asking,"
    he begins, "what brings the three of you to Epischa? The ladies? Because," and he leans in, motioning for them to come closer, "I think that one likes you, Huang."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Xan looks both a bit uncomfortable and more than a bit out of place, to be seated in an inn. His ragged clothing, long hair and beard do stand out, and he has siturated himself in the place at the table that offers the most concealment possible, as little as that may be.

He gives the appearance of studiously avoiding looking at the patrons of the tavern, but anyone who paid close attention to him would realize that he is carefully monitoring everything that happens around him, without drawing attention to the fact.

When Shin speaks, Xan seems almost startled, as if he is unused to conversation. He guffaws quietly at the suggestion of seeking female companionship, as though he finds the concept ludicrous. Inwardly, he is relieved that Shin addresses his comments about the subject to Huang. After all, even if he had any desire to pursue such a subject, his appearance was not exactly designed to attract that sort or attention. Or any attention at all, really.

Which brings him back to his discomfort with being in such an exposed position. But still...

He clears his throat to speak, his voice cracking as if from long disuse. "What brings me here? I had some... Difficulties... in Nexus, and found myself with a sudden and urgent need to travel. I have had no particular destination in mind, so I suppose you would have to say fate or chance has brought me to this point."
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-03-23 at 11:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

"Nexus, really? I've never been," Ji says absently, while staring intently at the stonework. "Could swear I recognize this stonework from somwhere... Shin do you recognize this construction? Nevermind, I guess that isn't really your area anyway..."

Ji lifts his hands briefly from the large leather satchel in his lap to adjust his sleeves and push up his spectacles. "That name, Ahemann, that I know I recognize. And with the... hmm," he says as he lays his hands back onto his satchel, still largely ignoring everyone in favor of his intent examination of Epischa's stonework.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Having listened with amusement to Ji's musings on the architecture of Epischa, Lion leans forward, looking at all of his newly acquired aquintancies in turn.
    Fate, you say? I suppose that's as good a reason as any to be on the road. Now, pers'nally me and my men here... Lion waves vaguely towards the mercenaries sitting around the room,
    who incidentally have no sense whatsoever of when to stop drinking, are here in business.
    Lion leans backwards on his chair, and smiles.
    Last edited by Rockbird; 2008-03-24 at 04:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang had wolfed down his breakfast with impressive speed, as if subconsciously afraid the cook would change his mind. When finished, he seemed to relax somewhat, just sitting back and enjoying the scene before him. He raises his eyebrows at Shin's comment. "Really? She looked to have an eye on you from where I'm sitting." Huang gestured grandly "And I must admit that I share my reasons for being here with Stone Dust Lion. The excavation team pays much better than any job back in Nexus."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

With a sudden smile and a snap of his fingers Ji says, "That's right, Ahemann was the one who killed- oh it doesn't really matter anyway. Still this is an odd place..." Ji trails off somewhat, seeming to suddenly notice the people at the table with him again. With a small embarrassed smile and nod of his head, he looks to Huang and Stone Dust Lion. "I apologize, my mind wandered for a moment there. Might I ask whom your respective employers are?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Shin

"Are you alright, Ji? You seem a bit distracted,"
    Shin says, fingering the clasps of the pack at his feet. A thin bar of black jade protrudes from it, slipping just above the table and putting it, regrettably, in view. Satisfied, he turns his attention to the architecture. He quickly withdraws a fine ivory flute from his pack and taps it lightly against the wall, setting his ear to the nearest stud.

"You're right...this place is old. Echoes like this went out of fashion with the Great Contagion."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang shrugged his shoulders. "In this town? Who else but Opulent Star? Not that it really matters. I dig where they tell me. But what brings you here?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

...who else but Opulent Star? Indeed. Not that it really matters...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis tilts his head curiously.

"Who is this Opulent Star?"

He frowns, considering the possibility that he is revealing a bit much ignorance.

"Forgive me, I made the decision to travel here rather on the spur of the moment. I'm not familiar with... Much of anywhere aside from Nexus. And then it was only my own neighborhood."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

"He's the local Scavenger Lord. He's hiring people to work at the excavation site up north," Huang looks over at Stone Dust Lion, "and apparently mercenaries as well."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-03-25 at 06:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Vengeful Mantis follows Huang's glance. "How odd. Surely he does not expect such men to dig?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion laughs. Well, i certainly hope not. I'm not one for digging, and those wouldn't know the difference between a shovel and a stick if it hit them in the face. No, it would appear that our dear employer expects some sort of trouble. With what, well i don't know.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Smoothly ignoring the questions directed toward him by letting the conversation continue around him, Ji waits for a pause to speak. "If they are going to the trouble of excavating it, it is likely that others would want whatever it is they are going after. I've some small curiosity as to what it might be actually. Wouldn't mind getting to take a look at the area being excavated... We don't do a lot of excavating back home, not that I would have had time to gawk if we did," says Ji with a sigh. "Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying being away from my regular duties?" Ji asks for what must be at least the third time this morning alone, half-grinning at Shin while he does so.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis rests his chin on the knuckles of his left hand.

"Interesting."

"I am curious now myself. I wonder if Opulent Star needs any additional help." He directs a questioning look towards Stone Dust Lion., before continuing with a mocking sigh. "I would have to give up the glamorous life of a beggar of course. But then, somehow I don't think I will have much success in that particular field after being seen associating with such august personages as yourselves."

He chuckles, and gestures to the others at the table.

"That being the case, I may as well earn some real coin for once."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion looks at Vengeful Mantis with a calculating look, and chuckles. Though it would be a pity indeed for you to abandon such an esteemed path of life, i would not object to your company. I can of course not speak for my employer, but i can put a word in for you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang brightens at the possibility of a mercenary job. "I have some skill with a blade myself; the product of a...misspent childhood. And mercenary work pays better than digging holes."

19. - Top - End - #19

Shin

Grinning-Fox shin smiles to Ji, eyes glittering with mischief behind his glasses. With a single swift motion, he pulls out the black jade sanxian from his pack, strangely careful not to touch the thin, glittering strings.

"Sounds like fun. If you all would be amenable to the work, I could certainly do with a glimpse at whatever it is they're digging up. Seems like fun...for a while. But I do think I've heard a song about this fellow, Opulent Star. If you want, I could share it while we go search him out," he says, smiling wide enough to show all his teeth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis grins at Stone Dust Lion.

"That would be quite kind of you. Normally I am loathe to be so... visible. My current career allows me the luxury of going largely unnoticed."

"However, that seems to be incompatible with a continued acquaintanceship with you fine people, and while I have known none of you for long, and some of you for mere short hours, I must confess I feel a certain kinship with you."

He glances at Stone Dust Lion before looking around the table consideringly.

"I must admit I had not expected to find others who I could say that of. Therefore it seems I am forced to renounce my decadent lifestyle."

He laughs softly.

As Shin draws forth his instrument and offers to play, he nods, clapping his hands together.

"Ah, you play? Wonderful, I am certain a song would liven up our morning."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion looks at Shin with a thoughtful frown.
    A song of our employer? He must be well-known then, strange that i had not heard of him before... But you'll certainly hear no objections from me. A song is always nice.
    Then he turns towards his men and bellows:
    You lot pipe down too! Take the opportunity to hear some music when you have the chance!

22. - Top - End - #22

Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin's smile subdues itself as the room quiets down a bit, and he makes a few quick adjustments to the instrument. Satisfied, he adjusts his posture and strums the thin chords of the sanxians once to measure the sound. Immediately after, his hands begin moving like lightning, possessed by motion. The warbling sound of the sanxian fills the room like light from a candle: faint, but all-encompassing. The room feels dimmer, like starlight. The chords fall into a pattern quickly, a pleasant, brisk melody like a hectic summer day and then, instantly, Shin slows to a subtler speed.

Fruitless mountaintop,
    Where have all your peaches gone?
    Your soil is empty now.

Fruitless mountaintop,
    Weeping, crowned by softest snow,
    This, sadly, is your Fate.

Fruitless mountaintop,
    All things are governed now
    By our opulent stars.

Heavenly dancers:
    The lives of man and peach
    Are beyond their cares.

Shin punctuates his performance with one last flourish of the sanxian's triplet chords and looks up with a bittersweet smirk.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2008-03-26 at 10:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

When the song ends, murmurs of approval rise from the half-awake mercenaries. A few seconds later, a man comes out from the kitchen. Some of you recognize him as the man who tends the bar, Adamant Flame. He has a distinctively average physical build, and looks perhaps 40, though he's shaven. He's gently coaxing along a beautiful young lady, one who looks much like the waitress Crystal Waters. She, however, obviously doesn't pay much attention to her grooming, and she's still wearing an apron dirty from kitchen duty. She barely shuffles along, and keeps her eyes pinned to the floor. Flame finally manages to bring her over to the table.

"Young master poet," Flame says, without taking his eyes off the young lady, "My daughter, Rainbow Blade, is a bit of a poetry enthusiast, and would like to say something to you. Dear?" There's a beat of silence, but finally, Blade manages to mumble something.

"You sing beautifully. Thank you for playing at our inn." Without hesitation, she flees with remarkable speed back to the kitchen, and slams the door. She might have been blushing, but her hair was in front of her hung-down face, so you really couldn't tell from looking.

"I apologize for her," Flame says, finally facing the table as a whole. Without the coddling tone in his voice, you finally recognize that he has a very soft voice, even when speaking at a normal volume, one that makes you just a little sleepy, "Every day, she just finds it a little harder to talk to anyone. I hope we haven't upset you."

24. - Top - End - #24

Grinning-Fox Shin

"Bothered? Not at all...if you don't mind, I would like to talk to this young lady. No one should be so bound by their own anxiety. If you don't mind, of course,"
    he adds, nodding respectfully towards Flame but making it clear that he's going to speak to her no matter how he responds. He stops at Ji's side and taps his shoulder, giving him a quick grin as he pulls out a thin band of cloth and ties it over his forehead with a wink. Shouldn't have cinched it so much with Tangled Stars, he thinks to himself as he follows after Rainbow Blade as best he can, adjusting his dark blue sunglasses to sit on the tip of his nose.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Ji furrows his brow as Shin walks off toward the girl. "How does he always manage that?" says Ji with a wistful sigh. "I've got paperwork to finish anyway..." Ji opens his satchel to remove a sheaf of paper and a beautiful silver brush, and starts quickly writing something.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang sits up as the song comes to a close. "I don't know much about music, but that sounded incredible."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis nods approvingly, cutting small pieces of fruit from the scraps of the breakfast and slipping them to the mouse in his ragged cloak when the bartender is not looking.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Shaking his head slightly, as if trying to clear it, Lion gets up from his chair. He looks at Shin shortly, and then walks over to his men.
    Right, you lot! Break's over! Get up, get ready, lots of work today! Oh don't give me that look Yan, you having too much to drink is noones fault but your own. Move it!
    As his men clears out of the room, Lion turns towards his newly-made aquintancies.
    As i said, i'll talk to my employer and see what i can do. Hopefully, we shall have the opportunity to work together. Now, i must see to it that my men don't trip on their own swords. If you see Opulent Star, tell him i'll be outside. Be well.
    And with those words, he exits the building.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Flame doesn't try to stop Shin from going to the kitchen.

"Poor fool's just wasting his time. My daughter barely talks to me. I doubt she'll talk to a stranger." After Lion gets up, he addresses the rest of the table. "That man just say he was looking for Opulent Star? Lemme guess, more mercenaries? Or is someone actually going to try to pick a fight with the big boss himself?"

Kitchen

Spoiler
    Show
    As Shin enters the kitchen, he notices the lone figure of Rainbow Blade washing the numerous dishes from breakfast. Other than that, however, the kitchen is immaculately clean, though the stocks seem minimal, barely enough to last the week. Except, of course, the monstrous amount of alcoholic beverages and ingredients.

Outside

The town looks exactly as described earlier, and the streets are filled with people headed to work in the morning.

30. - Top - End - #30

Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin enters quietly, letting his hair down as he does so, careful to try and cover his forehead additionally. He bows lightly and coughs a bit to draw her attention, then stands perfectly straight, wearing his confidence lightly.

"Do you believe in Heaven, Rainbow Blade?" he asks, smiling widely in accordance with his name. This would be a magnificent lie. Without waiting for her to answer, he nods his head and mutters: "Yes, I think you do. There are gods of love and confidence, you know, all watching mortal actions with the greatest of interest. But there are so many, and so few gods...My mom told me these things," he adds, winking.

"What would you do if I told you that Heaven thought you were special? If I told you that you could be bolder. No one should be so afraid of the world," he says, offering her his hand. In that same instant, he worked a simple Sidereal magic, weaving lesser Fates to lesser ends to make her see him as what he claimed.