New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Brickwall's Exalted

Grinning-Fox Shin

"Lovely,"
    Shin says with a grimace as he looks over Sanguine Blossom's shoulder for only a brief moment. "What's happened here?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sanguine Blossoms

The physician reaches into his satchel- a box of some green material covered in leather- and removes a beautifully carved jade case. Within are a number of glimmering needles; he selects two that shine like water under moonlight, and without hesitation, plunges them into the victim's collarbone and groin.

A pair of golden needles prick his temples, sliding in swiftly; two of jade transfix his wrists.

"He has been poisoned. The compound is fusing with his blood. A very painful way to die."
    He pauses, and one with a particular grasp of motive might perhaps think it is to allow others to guess at ill-purposes for the needles.
    "However, I suspect I will be able to...redirect his life using these, to counteract the effect."

As he says this, he adjusts his deep crimson headband, which seems to glimmer. The area around him wavers as if in sun-dappled shade.
    Last edited by Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick; 2008-04-06 at 09:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Some of the crowd parts away from the oncoming (and loud and pushy and armed) foreigners, but there's still very little room to squeeze through. Even so, they manage to get to the center, where the strange man with the headband is already beginning to test the wounded explorer for Essence flow points.

It's not even half a minute before a voice booms over the crowd - literally. What sounds like an explosion coming from the end of camp opposite the gates begins to form words that would probably deafen you if you were closer.

"Why am I being disturbed from my rest so early in the morning, and why in all the Malfean realms are the gates closed?!"

The others scatter in fear from the oncoming of a man who appears...significantly less intimidating than he sounded. He's a bit shorter than average, thin and wiry, and has dusky gray hair that looks very messy at this point. He's only wearing a bedrobe, but he's also holding a discus of blue jade that only the most uneducated would fail to recognize as an Infinite Jade Chakram. That's probably because he also has blue-tinted skin and a slight chill around him. Clearly, he's a Terrestrial, and that would probably explain the voice you heard earlier, since the one he uses next is of a normal volume.

"Someone got hurt? Damn you incompetent fools! If you can't keep yourselves alive, we'll never finish exploring this place! And I can't pay for a god-blooded doctor to come around treating the results of your mistakes! If I do, it's coming out of your salaries!"

As he's finishing, a man a bit taller than him but no less skinny comes up carrying an armload of things, mostly books and large scrolls of parchment. He places a pair of glasses and a cloak around the Exalt. "Sir," he says somewhat meekly, and with an odd nasal voice, "it's your responsibility to map out the site. If they ran into anything, the map you made led them into it." He continues attempting to arrange all the things in his pile correctly, but the Dragon-Blood pushes with one arm and sends them all flying. The attendant sighs and begins picking things up immediately.

"Well, what are you five doing just standing around, gawking? I don't allow visitors, so unless you've come to do business, get out before I get the guards to show you out."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion takes a deep breath, visibly calming himself down before speaking.
    I assume you're Opulent Star? My name is Stone Dust Lion, and i believe you've hired both me and my men, who at the moment remain in Epischa.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

Meekly dropping his gaze and stepping back, Ji says very quietly, "Pay me no mind, just an unimportant file clerk," as he fades into the background...
    Last edited by demihappycow; 2008-04-07 at 08:34 PM.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

6. - Top - End - #66

Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin's titular smile fades as Ji recedes into the background, and from the corner of his mouth he manages to just mutter the word "cheater" before turning his attention back to the Exalt before them.

"He's not Opulent Star, Lion,"
    Shin says calmly, shooting a glance back towards the physician.

The message only said there'd be an Earth aspect for them to deal with, but I suppose that was unfounded optimism, Shin thinks to himself, sizing up the short, blue man before him.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

The loud man seems somewhat less angry when Lion starts talking, but Shin undoes that quickly enough.

"What do you mean I'm not Opulent Star! I happen to be an expert at quite a few things, but foremost among them would be knowing my own name!" He strides forward, shoving the musician aside rather purposefully, and gets in Lion's face as best he can. "Well, why don't you go back to town and gather your men so you can do the job I've already paid you for? It won't take you long, and hopefully by then someone will have told me what the hell is going on!" There don't seem to be any volunteers for that last bit, as everyone seems to be suddenly very busy with their work.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

With a quite notable stiffness Lion glares at Opulent Star for a moment before nodding and turning away, heading back to town.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis smiles expansively.

"Ah, of course you know your own name. You strike me as a man who knows many, many things. A learned and wise man if ever there was one. My friend Stone Dust Lion has told us all what a generous employer and cunning seeker of relics you are."

"I must say though, his words did not do your impressive presence justice. And this excavation,"
    Mantis gestures widely, seemingly completely unconcerned with his ragged and travelworn clothing, "is quite the expert work, if I may say so."

"You'll forgive me for tagging along, I hope. It's simply that after all the tales I'd heard, I just had to see your work. It also occurred to me, since I've heard so many people speak of your equitable and magnanimous treatment of employees, and your wise and insightful concern for security... Well it seemed to me that you might have a need for a person of my particular skills, so I thought to offer my services."

"Ah, but where are my manners? You must think me an artless oaf. Allow me to introduce myself. I am called Xan."

Mantis bows to the Dragon Blooded scavenger lord with a surprisingly practiced flourish.

"Please forgive the brevity of my nomenclature, my parents were from the realm, never left it in their hearts, you understand."

He turns a dazzling smile on the man, his attitude that of a courtier, rather than a beggar.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-04-08 at 02:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Opulent Star makes a huffing noise. "Particular skills? What are those, being a worthless piece of crap with an ego malfunction? Get back to the streets and let the commoners kick you as they pass you by, before I decide to give you any special attention."

He seems to be fed up with the outsiders for now, and heads off to oversee some people. In other words, yell at them. It gets muddled over the sounds of resumed work, though.

11. - Top - End - #71

Sanguine Blossoms

The physician leans back and folds his hands; his brow is creased in thought, and he seems to be checking the weight of his sleeves- possibly explained if he has any tricks up them. He appears somewhat fatigued by his stresses, and his fine clothes are slightly damp with sweat- although the odor is by no means unpleasant, as if he extrudes lilac instead of perspiration.

Who would poison this man? Why? And why such a potent tincture, when likely far less would have done simply to ensure his death? Was it even a poisoner at all, or is some inhuman agency at work? A device? A trap? A...
    His thoughts tumble off into an interlinked lattice of associations and conjectures, while his eyes continue to devour the progress of his patient, noting minuscule fluctuations in breathing and pulse.

He notices the newcomers to the scene with little true apparent interest, though this is more in the nature of a venerable gentleman who does not wish to give too much indulgence to the young than of any true rudeness. He does, however, seem to be biting his lip at Xan's pronouncements. He turns to the others- newcomers and any still hanging about alike- and raises his voice politely, a surprisingly strong, clear tone from such a slight man.

"I suppose it would be another in a long line of needless optimisms to suggest that any of you have a particular insight into how this man received his wound? I am only curious, you understand. It has no bearing on the treatment, only my own peace of mind."
    He looses a sotto voce sigh and cracks his knuckles.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang had hung back during Opulent Star's...speech. He seems to be just like those Guild members back in Nexus; putting himself above the common folk while they starve. But, I cannot jump to a conclusion just yet. Angry is not evil. Sanguine Blossoms' question snaps him from his revere. "My apologies, we only recently arrived. But your magics were able to contain the demons within this poor man, at least?"
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-04-09 at 06:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Sanguine Blossoms

Sanguine smiles and taps a finger against his cheek, ruefully.
    "A surprisingly apropos description of his malady, though I have the profoundest doubts that was by intent. Yes, I was able to ease his...discomfort. But it is not something I can do every hour of the day."

His smile fades and he returns to his previous, thoughtful expression.
    "So; you are not, I think, true lackeys of our dear opulent star, may the spirits bless him and keep his soul pure. Why then are you here?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

"Well, I was originally here to find work digging, honoured one, but a friend of mine told me that Opulent Star was hiring mercenaries." Huang shrugs. "It seems a bit odd, though. Why would a digging site have need of warriors?"

Huang blushes as he rememberes his manners and hastily bows. "I apologize, wise one, but I get ahead of myself sometimes. I am Huang, and it is an honour to meet you.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-04-11 at 05:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Sanguine Blossoms

"Honored and wise are titles I neither crave nor deserve. You are more likely to win glory than I, if you are, as you say, a warrior- and welcome you are to it."

He lifts one long, pale eyebrow and waves to take in his patient and the site itself in one fell swoop, while returning the bow with reasonable grace.

"As to why they require warriors, I have some ideas."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Banned

As Stone Dust Lion heads toward the exit of the encampment, he hears the sound of armored feet at a hastened march (called a 'frenzied dash' in less disciplined circles). His mercenaries come flowing down the ramp into the site loudly. The one in front sees Lion coming towards them, and begins screeching to a halt, only to be carried forward by the momentum of his peers.

The group of around 20 soldiers begins tumbling in a giant, unbelievable jumble. Screams and yelps are heard as they descend roughly down the hill. They finally skid and stop about two feet in front of Stone Dust Lion. Various cries including "Okay, who did that?", "Did somebody catch the standard on that army?" and "Whoever that is, hands off!" are heard, intermingled with general moans of pain. Finally, the one from the front (recognizable by his distinctive conically crowned helmet) crawls into a standing position and salutes weakly.

"Sir," he says with stiff formality, "sorry to keep you waiting, we didn't see you leave."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion sighs and takes a deep breath before speaking.
    No problem, i didn't tell you, so... Just... next time, do try to make a more disciplined entrance. You're just lucky our employer left. It's not good for your reputation, this kind of thing. Anyway. Let's get to it. Two lines of ten! Straighten that belt, Yan! Can't have you looking like you fell down a flight of stairs! Weapons straight!...

Lion shouts a few more orders and when his men are arreanged with satisfactory order, he turns back to the encampment to find Opulent Star. As he passes the others he pauses momentarily. When he speaks, he adresses Huang and Mantis.
    It would seem my employer is not the kind to listen to the suggestions of those he have hired. If you wish, i shall still try to speak to him, but i don't think i will yield much success.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang nods at Stone Dust's words. "If you could, I would be most grateful, though you should not feel obligated. Your own employment should come first."

19. - Top - End - #79

Grinning-Fox Shin

"If he doesn't take suggestions, then don't offer them," Shin says as he approaches Lion with an annoyed look still gleaming in his eyes. He waves a hand inclusively towards them all, then nods knowingly.

"Let's just go. Exact a higher price as if Lion's troops were more numerous. I doubt this Opulent Star fellow--" he shoots the Immaculate a nasty look from a safe distance, "--if that really is his name...Anyway, I doubt he'd either notice or care. He's got his own to worry about."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

That's an idea, of course. It might just work. You should know i am to lying what rocks are to flying, though.
    Lion shrugs.
    But if you want to tag along, then do so, by all means. Now let's get going.
    And then he begins to march off to find Opulent Star. He'd be where someone's shouting, probably.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vengeful Mantis

Mantis laughs softly. "Then do not lie, friend Lion. Simply consider us to be members of your mercenary band, and then your charge is both fair and honest, is it not?" His eyes smile along with his lips at the idea of such lawyerly mischief.

He lowers his voice to a conspiratorial murmur. "I must say, I am not terribly impressed with master Star yet. But perhaps he has unseen depths. Truly well hidden depths. But either way, money is money, and I must confess I am curious as to the object of this particular excavation."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion smiles.
    I was not intending to, but should it become an issue, it is only fair that i warn you. And indeed, these depths are truly experts of camoflauge.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Ji Chan-wook

"I myself am curious as to what precisely is being excavated. I daresay those hidden depths might hold more of interest than Opulent Star," says Ji with a sardonic grin, to whomever is still noticing him. "Were I more than a humble bureaucrat I might be tempted to look into things a bit more closely. Almost seems as though they could be uncovering something dangerous," Ji glances significantly at Shin as he says the last.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

24. - Top - End - #84

Grinning Fox Shin

Shin considers Ji's innuendo for a moment, then raises an eyebrow and shifts his glance to each of his companions in turn.

<<Do any of you speak, by any chance, the language of the Old Realm?>>
    he asks in the very language he inquires about.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Huang

Huang stares blankly as Shin starts spouting gibberish.

26. - Top - End - #86

Sanguine Blossoms

Sanguine gives a mirthless chuckle, twitching his queue back over his shoulder with an impatient gesture.

"I would say their excavation of something dangerous is more certainty than supposition."

<<Not a thing, I think, for scholars, mercenaries, and diplomats to inquire about. But I think, somehow, you are not such.>>

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Stone Dust Lion

Lion gives Shin a puzzled look.
    Uh... I'm sorry, what was that you said?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mantis contemplates feigning ignorance, for a moment, since it's apparent (To him at least) that he might get to hear something secret... But decides that he likes his new friends too much.

He grins wryly at Shin. <<Mother insisted on it.>>

29. - Top - End - #89

Grinning-Fox Shin

Shin glances from Sanguine Blossoms to Mantis, and his smile wilts like a cut flower.

<<Right. Right. Well, then, that's good. Because it looks like that may be a useful skill. My own Old Realm is a little bit...>>
    he breaks off, then begins in what sounds like a different dialect:

<<High Realm, then?>>

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mantis grins mischievously.

<<Would you be happier if I pretended I didn't speak it?>>, he asks, in the new dialect.