New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Hertz

Obeying Nalik's order, and noticing Carter's tactic, Hertz joins him in the hit-and-fallback routine. Should Nalik get attacked from the front, he'll use his high speed to reach the dwarf and protect him.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AttackorCritic - (1d20+4)[11]
    AttackorCritic - (1d20+4)[5]
    AttackorCritic - (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[8]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[7]
    Damage - (1d8+1)[6]
    TumbleChecks - (1d20+10)[12]
    TumbleChecks - (1d20+10)[18]
    TumbleChecks - (1d20+10)[19]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

<orcish>"Stand down. Let them go for now. Lieutenants to me at command. Double patrols." The voice sounds rather angry now, and there is almost an after-echo that conjures the feel of snarling.

The command is issued as the team nears the edge of the encampment, and the orcs stop the pursuit, but not until after a few more are cut down by the hit and run tactics employed in flight. The airborne orcs move downward, disappearing from sight. The eight of them remain alive for now, though one was obviously hurt badly by Oliana's missiles.

It takes only a few more minutes for everyone, including Oliana (though she is the last to arrive), to get to the spot where Sarrok is waiting with all the gear. "I'm pretty sure that patrols will pass close to here, now they're on the alert."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oliana

"Everyone made it? Cool. Is that my bag?" Oliana points what appears to be her bag, reaches for it and rifles through it check to see if everything is still there.

"So, we ready to move out? Has any one seen an owl hanging about? You can turn into a tree?" Oliana looks at Deladus curiously.

Spoiler
    Show

If her bag's there, and it has her tree token she pulls it out and keeps it in her hand.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Not knowing how much time they might have Carter straps on the 'low hanging fruit' first. Shield. Weapons. Magic Amulet. Magic Cloak. After a few seconds he looks around and then finally asks Hertz, "My armor is difficult to carry when not being worn and it takes a while to put on. If you help me it will take much less time to don it. Will you help?" Regardless of whether Hertz will help, Carter starts the long process of strapping on the layered sheets of metal the make up his suit of Magical Half Plate.

Once its on he tops it all off with the backpack, belt pouch,
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

5. - Top - End - #125

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Hengist shrugs into his chain shirt, not bothering to settle the maille, and collects the remainder of his gear. We should depart.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

6. - Top - End - #126

Hertz

Hertz quickly dons what few gear he has, before answering Carter. "Certainly. The faster we are out of here, the better." He'll help strap the armour on, before looking around to see if anyone needs help.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Accepting Hertz's help Carter does his best to instruct the man how to help and is sure to say, "Thank you." Once armored and ready for trouble, Carter nods at Hengist and says, "I agree. To stay would be to invite disaster."

Carter readies his sword and shield and waits to take up the rear of the formation once Nalik decides which way to go.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

8. - Top - End - #128

Deladus

Quietly, Deladus gathers his armor and weapons, looking for assistance with his heavy armor once someone is free.

9. - Top - End - #129

Planetar

Nalik

Once they reash Sarrok, Nalik joins everyone else in gathering their gear. The first thing he looks for is the comm device. Once / if he find it. He will activate it and report to command that there is a sizeable orc encampment less than a days march from Highgate.

After that is done, he will move to help Deladus with his armor.
    What happened back there? I thought for sure that you were gone.

After the troop is all geared up.
    Hengist, Sarrok, we need to disapear.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

About a minute after Nalik drops the Comm, apparently not waiting for a response, it vibrates and buzzes very quietly, just loud enough to be heard within a few feet of it. It does so for about two seconds at intervals of five seconds until someone activates it again.

11. - Top - End - #131

Planetar

Nalik

Noticing the activation of the comm device, Nalik raises it to his mouth Bunnyslippers. This is Corperal Stormbrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

"Corporal, is this an imminent threat situation?" The unmistakable clipped accent of that obnoxious elven officer, whatever the hell her name was, comes from the Comm. Luckily, all anyone has to remember in this situation is to refer to the voice on the other end as 'Sir' or 'Ma'am'. "Because if it's not, then I have to tell everyone to stand down due to a false alarm after your incredibly terse warning."

13. - Top - End - #133

Oliana

"If they think an angry camp of Orcs a day's march from Highgate is an immediate threat, then I guess it is! We need to get what everyone saw and make an estimate of how many and how strong they are. Tell them the Orcs appear to not be following us, and we'll report back as soon as we more fully assess the situation. Preferably while we head away from here. Can anyone discern where Highgate is? Oh!"

As Oliana exclaims a bit she looks up and around a bit. "I may be able to do that." Oliana's face scrunches up a bit and a few moments later a white owl flies in from the forest further out.

"Fenny, this is everyone. Everyone this is Fenny." Oliana emits a few little chirps and Fenny chirps back.

Spoiler
    Show

Oliana will tell them all of Elis and how he zapped her good and was barely hurt by her magic. Can Fenny tell us which way Highgate is?

14. - Top - End - #134

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik is quite peeved at the tone taken by the officer on the other end of the comm.
    Ma'am, I am not about to tell you how to interpret the information that I am supplying you. I am only reporting the facts. There is an orc encampment less than a days march from Highgate. This camp includes those with the ability to fly. There is a Human that appears to be in charge, and the creature that used to be our companion Elisathelan. I am still not sure how we escaped with out lives. You can decide if the threat is imminent or not.
    As he talks about escaping with their lives, he will look up at Deladus.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's your job to interpret the threat, Corporal. If all you have are vague half-assed guesses, then you're better off not reporting it."

16. - Top - End - #136

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik suppresses the urge to curse at length. How could this person have become an officer if they can not see the danger that is presented by this encampment, with the means to gain access, so close to the city.
    Yes Ma'am. Forgive me. In my opinion, this orc encampment presents a clear and present danger to the city of Highgate. It is possible, that our discovery of this camp has disrupted their plans. But I believe that Highgate should make ready to defend itself from an aerial assault in the near future.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Listening and trying to remain profession, Carter has no choice but to daydream or get caught in a giggleloop. That is why he makes the big bucks. I totally, never want to get promoted up to be in charge. That would quite quite a sorry state to be in.

Once Nalik exchange seems Carter readies himself to move out or follow any other orders Nalik might have. Perhaps it is time to raid the orc camp for intel....

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

"Understood." The voice this time is completely different: male, serious, and wholly unfamiliar. "Keep us informed if the circumstances change."

19. - Top - End - #139

Oliana

Oliana chitters back to the bird and points upwards, chitters some more and the owl tilts its head quizzically and flies upward from branch to branch until it reaches the tree line.

Spoiler
    Show

Oliana says, "If you would be so kind as to hop up there and check out which direction Highgate is -- the large town with the wall and humans. And them come back and tell me." She points upwards and offers, "And be careful; watch out for flying Orcs and living trees."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

After standing around for half a minute or so waiting for Nalik to give them an order, Carter notices Deladus still struggling to get into his armor, so Carter walks over and helps him along.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

The owl disappears from sight for about a minute, after which it comes right back to Oliana. She and the bird talk to each other for a few moments, then she points straight back at the orc camp. "Fenny says that Highgate is that way."

22. - Top - End - #142

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Judging which way the tracks seem to diminish the most, Hengist leads the others in that direction. Come. We go this way, and haven't time to tarry.

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, here's MY plan. We head out, away from the Orcs, until we're out of regular patrol range. Once we start leaving the areas where our tracks can be lost in the confusion, Hengist will start taking pains to conceal our trail, brushing out the tracks, whatever, in such a manner that it will lead to questions as to where we've gone.

Then, once we reach a suitable geographical barrier (rocky ground, a river, whatever won't show tracks very well), we radically alter direction, striking out at an angle that'll lead us away from the orc camp and back toward the Highgate.

For argument sake, let's say we are on the North side of the camp, and Highgate is due south of it. We head north until we hit a stream, follow it East for a bit, and then set off Southeast until my keenly-trained Woodland senses estimate we're past the Orc Camp before heading Either due west, or Southwest, making our way back toward the Highgate. Also, I think Hengist is going to go for the whole, "Forced March" thing, trying to get the others to put as much distance as humanly, elvenly, dwarvenly, or gnomishly possibly between them and the bad.

Survival +8, Know:Nature +4

Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Deladus

Deladus thanks Nalik and Carter for their help. It probably doesn't take the two long to notice that the armor that Deladus has on isn't metal, but rather some sort of steel-strength wood.

Once they start moving, he follows the rest of the party, sticking to the back if Nalik does not give a marching order.

24. - Top - End - #144

Planetar

Nalik
    After Nalik and Carter help Deladus into his armor, he asks them to help him don his. He then allows the group to find their own positions as Hengist leads them off.

He will take the time to look at each of them to determine how they are fairing after the run in.

Spoiler
    Show

Health check on everyone.

Torger, don't worry about heading towards Highgate. We will not be going there any time soon. We need to find out more about these orcs and we are looking for some other folks.

Nalik doesn't like the female they were talking too earlier from command, and his player is not quite sure if we can trust the male who took over.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2008-05-23 at 03:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Forest
    about 3pm, sunny, 70 degrees

Once everyone dons their gear, Hengist begins striking a path that is little more than 'away from the orcs'. Although his efforts to keep the group from being tracked slow the team down a little, a good distance is covered by the time a small stream is reached. It is about 7 feet wide, and less than a foot at its deepest. The course of it runs roughly northwest-southeast. The sun, seen through the canopy still, marks the day as more than half done.
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2008-05-24 at 06:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Hengist stops at the edge of the stream, drinks, and re-fills his waterskin. To my thinking, we should head upstream and seek shelter. The Skraels stand between us and the High Gate, and we must regroup and outflank them if we are to return.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter walks slow, trying to keep pace with the group, but also to keep track of Hengist who seems to literally be sweeping away the squad's footprints.

Carter checks out the nice refreshing stream and sighs. Too bad there is an Orcish army behind us. A nice dip and maybe a spot of fishing would have been quite relaxing(assuming the stream became more developed further downstream).

Carter also drinks deeply from the stream. He empties any contents from his waterskins and totally fills them and empties them three times. Finally he fills them up and makes ready to go, assuming that is what the orders will be.

28. - Top - End - #148

Hertz

Hertz will also travel silently, walking in a somber attitude and glancing to Deladus curiously every now and then. When he sees Carter refill his waterskin at the stream, he does the same with a sigh of envy. I used to spend days sitting next to streams like this, doing nothing but thinking and writing..

29. - Top - End - #149

Deladus

Taking advantage of their stop, Deladus kneels near the stream and begins using his hand to drink. After a moment, it proves to be not enough, so he takes a more first-face approach. After several minutes of the act, he stands and stretches, basking in the sunlight, pale green skin reflecting some of the brightness.

"So, what is our plan? Hide out for the night and continue tomorrow? Or push on during the night?" he asks Nalik, putting the question to Hengist's statement.

30. - Top - End - #150

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik takes the stop as an opportunity to make some adjustments to his armor, a couple of straps has been rubbing him in exactly the wrong spot. He then bends down to get a drink of water along with the others. He is quiet a moment listening to the questions and other chatter.
    We will not be returning to Highgate. We came out this way with a mission, and that has not changed, although it appears some of us have. again looks at Deladus. He will not push though, at least not at this time.Hengist, steer us away from Highgate. We will make camp early tonight. Many of us will be in need of tending, and there will be no fire tonight. Stealth is our main ally.

As he speaks, he refills his waterskin.
    Spoiler
    Show