New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Oliana

As the group moves away from the Orc encampment and she feels more secure they aren't being followed, she repacks her equipment back in her pack. When they stop to camp and Nalik mentions they are re-grouping she offers, "If we can stay a couple of days, I can prep some potions and scrolls so that we can do some serious damage to the camp without as much brute force and running away."
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

More Forest
    near dusk, just starting to cool

Hengist leads the group northwest along the stream, cleverly using the water to conceal the backtrail. He cuts across to the other side after an hour or so, taking the team up a mildly rocky slope, then continuing northwest. As the light starts to fail, the best Hengist can do for a campsite is a relatively flat spot that is generally clear of undergrowth. The small clearing has large shrubs around it, and a few medium sized trees, which should provide a screen from view.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Upon finding the campsite, Carter looks around for good places to put up tripwires and other sorts of automated alarms. Once he spots a candidate he takes a step and his foot makes a 'squish' sound as the water in his boot sloshes.

"My feet got wet."

Carter takes his boots off and hangs them upside down to drain while he takes out his rope and tries to setup something.

Alarm
    Spoiler
    Show

Looking to set up the rope tied from tree to tree to tree at a foot or so off the ground with some metal items hooked in that will rattle when someone touches the rope (hopefully) waking us up.

Craft-Trapmaking +8
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #154

Oliana

"Fenny can help, too. Right Fenny?" The bird, who had been quiet most of the walk, hiding from the sun and catching a few moments of sleep during the day. He perked up once the sun set, and occassionally made a leap for some small rodent he saw in the distance.

5. - Top - End - #155

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Hengist has been relatively quiet since the river, and takes the first opportunity to scavenge for comestibles for the unit, ones that don't require cooking. Once he's limbed the surroundings of edible materials, he wordlessly assists Carter with the warning systems, his face in a brooding scowl that didn't particularly invite conversation.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival - (1d20+8)[25] to forage for food.
    Trapmaking - (1d20+3)[11] Hoping for an aid another.

Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hertz

As the group made camp, Hertz took out part of the trail rations he had that did not require cooking. Not that he didn't trust what Hengist would bring back, but he doubted it'd suffice to feed everyone - especially after a day like this. He sat down next to Deladus, and asked as he watched Carter and Hengist work on the traps "How long do you think it will take before they go after us?"

7. - Top - End - #157

Planetar

Nalik

As the group settles in for the night, Nalik works his way around to each of the party members to provide care for their wounds. He will cast healing on Hengist and Carter and Hengist before they start setting up their traps.

As he gets to Deladus he sits next to him.
    What happened back there Deladus. One moment we were being attacked and the next, you turned into a tree. Then, I thought we had lost you. I reached back to haul your lifeless body out, and you got up and started walking. I would prefer to not have to deal with these surprises.

He will set up the watch order, Sarrok, and Hengist first, Carter and Hertz second, Himself and Oliana last. Deladus, because he was dead a few hours ago will get the night off.

He will then lie down and try and get some rest.

Spoiler
    Show

trading in a turn undead to extend healing to Carter, Hengist, and Nalik
    cureLightWounds - (1d8+5)[6]

Can I get max HP for Hengist, Oliana, and Hertz
    I don't know what the damage level is for Oliana, Deladus, or Sarrok
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Once the sun goes down, Carter's mood sours, if that is possible. He still couldn't see in the dark and without a nearby fire, he wouldn't even have that comfort. Fortunately he felt really energized.

When everyone heads to bed and the first watch takes over, Carter stays up and helps to keep an eye on things. When its his turn, he continues to be awake and alert with Hertz. At the end of their shift, he stays up with the early morning crew to watch the sunrise.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

9. - Top - End - #159

Deladus

Watching the rest of the group bustle around the camp, Deladus ponders what had befallen him before. Apparently, I can turn into some sort of... tree-person, now.

Thoughts interrupted by Hertz, the man replies, "I would not be surprised if they are already searching us out once again. Orcs seem tenacious, in that regard. It does not help that they have such abnormal leadership." He snorts with a small laugh. "I mean, how often do you see flying orcs?"

Looking to Nalik as he describes his view of the earlier battle, Deladus grins. "I'm sorry, sir, I'll try to be more considerate about coming back to life, next time." He stares at the ground as he continues, "As for the rest of that... I'm not quite sure. I've been feeling oddly ever since that woman in the forest captured us all and transported us back. I... erm... had a chat with some sort of plant-lady at the time. Perhaps this has something to do with it?" He shrugs.

"At any rate, I think this is what I am now... I feel like I can do it again. In fact..." The green man frowns, concentrating. "I can also sense everyone moving around the camp. Without seeing them, I mean. And a few squirrels in the tree over there. And... well, everything in the forest, I think."

Spoiler
    Show

Using Forest Sense to track things up to 1 mile away (full round action).

For those curious, here is his new character sheet, and here is the relevant homebrew

10. - Top - End - #160

Oliana

Oliana curls up to rest, her owl high in a tree, perhaps hunting, perhaps keeing an eye out for the group. She thinks about what she needs to do to take out the thing that is controlling Elis's body and she rolls over a few times. Half listening to Nalik and Deladus's conversation she emits an "Eeewww" noise when Deladus explains the chat he had with that tree thing.

If my rope was involved.... She sits up, removes the rope to a few feet away and contemplates washing it in the river in the morning and falls asleep until her watch.

11. - Top - End - #161

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik hangs his head a bit at Deladus interpretation of his statements.
    I am sorry my friend. When you came back to life, that was very happy moment for me. I was referring to you changing into a tree. The only reason I would want you to not come back to life, is that I hope you do not die while we are on duty.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

Hertz

At Deladus' jestful question about flying orcs, Hertz simply smiles and mumbles "Not often." He then patiently waits for the rest of the story, obviously as curious as Nalik about what had happened to Deladus. Something in the story, however, catches his attention. "Are you saying you did not know they had transformed you in such a way?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter, always one to listen in on other peoples conversations and interject his own opinions without being asked, says, "My skin is green now. I'm not sure what happened, but I do feel a little different, I just don't know what has changed."

He looks at Deladus and says, "I don't feel like I'm going to turn into a tree. But... I haven't eaten all day and I'm not hungry. Actually, I'm not tired either."

14. - Top - End - #164

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Hengist, still annoyed at the outcome of the day's encounter, chimed in from where he was keeping watch, not looking at the rest of the group. This divine sustenance is the gift from Baldur. The gods have smiled on we three, much as Odin has on Oliana, in granting her his Knowledge of the runecasting, or Thor has on the Huskarl, allowing him to keep we warriors fighting. Clearly, our group is well-blessed, though the Norns have woven for us a tapestry of guts, bone, and hard fighting. Perhaps we must further prove our worth...

Hengist drifts back off into silence.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165

Hertz

"Ah, yes. Blessed. It is a great blessing indeed, when one does not choose whether or not to accept what is being forced upon him." Hertz commented, not the least bit trying to hide his irony.

16. - Top - End - #166

Deladus

"I was not directly aware of it, no..." Deladus explains. "But if it helps us in our work, then I brook no complaint against Balder's will."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter sighs and looks around at the other and says, "Call it what you will, but I doubt it was the will of the Gods, heathen or otherwise...", that last bit Carter nods at Hengist, "... I'm sure there is a more logical explanation. I would be more likely to bet that our hosts, the forest spirit inhabitants of those trees, did it to us."

Carter tightens his cloak around himself and looks up at the stars for signs and portents. Maybe I can spot a shooting star to warn us of danger in our futures...

18. - Top - End - #168

DwarfClericGuy

The creatures were the servants of Baldur, as described in the Eddas. Perhaps the true lore has been lost in the Outlands...
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169

Planetar

Nalik

Have faith Carter. If these changes were brought about in the grotto, they are indeed gifts from the gods.
    Dramatic pause
    I spoke for a while with the wife of my liege. Sif was both cruel and kind at the same. It was from here that I learned that Elis was restored through necromancy, and that Astryn is not truly in charge.
    Nalik's eyes get a little dreamy as he thinks about the next part of his story. There are some things that he decides that he is not ready to share.
    After sharing tea with her, I climbed a mountain to an oracle. On the way, I found the armor that I now wear. I have no doubt that this armor is also her gift. It was the oracle that told me that we should search this pass for the true threat to Highgate. We must find Hergilash and Brosskidil, and kill them. We will need allies to fight the threat, and this will help us to get the kobolds on our side. There is more, but we can speak of that later.

In the morning, Nalik will spend some time and offer his prayers to Thor.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

Oliana

Oliana listens to the converstations about gifts and whatnot grumbling inwardly, resentful.

Spoiler
    Show

Does Oliana know anything about Hergilash and Brosskidil? Or anyone that Hengiest is talking about? Or why some people are part trees? Or where they are or want to get to?
    Knowledge:
    Arcana: +10
    Geography: +7
    History: +8
    Local: +7
    Nature: +5
    Everything else is untrained.

21. - Top - End - #171

Sarrok Balderk

For the past hours Sarrok’s mind had been running on auto polite. The years of training and experience from life as police enforcer jumped into action and took his body over. Emotions, thoughts and personal feeling did not matter only that he performed his given task successfully and efficiently. As they walked through the forest he evaluated his performance. He had done well. He may not have slain any orcs but he did survive and liberated the much needed gear. Plus he found a point of escape an help lead the rest of the party to it. Well enough anyway.

Now that they had found a small sanctuary he let the thoughts of tactics and survival fade from his mind. He began the task of piecing the events together. Their capture, his map, the child and its mother, and Deladus’ transformation. So much had happened. Carter’s strike on the mother was the most disturbing to him. Being an orphan he knew how it felt to be with out parents. He reasoned though, she was a threat. He sighed. Still though he wished they could have handled it differently.

Finally his mind had shut up and he could listen to the others talk. Gifts from the Gods hmmm… Was that Dragon a God as well? He shook his head. His knowledge of religion was really quite deplorable. However he knew a enough that a dragon of black scales and rotting smell could not be a good sign. He shook his head. Remember what father says... "Base not your trust on appearance nor race for everyone is capable of evil" He smiled at his father's words as they ran through his head. Perhaps the orc child will find a new parent as I did... that is if its mother did indeed die. He felt as though he should say something but thought better of thinking what ever would come out would be out of place and foolish.

Sighing Sarrok set himself up against a tree, and loads his crossbow... ready for anything that might harm his friends.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

A few small scale, simple precautions are set up around the camp, each of which seems like it will function as intended. The light slips away, leaving a starry night in its wake. There does not seem to be a moon tonight, and it is quite dark.

Not long after Carter and Hertz begin their watch, a cool wind starts to blow lightly, and on its heels comes rain. They can just barely smell it before the first drops begin to fall, and before they have time to do much more than register the storm, it is in full flower. It is a downpour whose onset is sudden enough that it wakes everyone up as it drenches.

23. - Top - End - #173

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist mops his sodden face, his hair and beard matted with the torrential rain. A portent, perhaps? One from Thor? This may auger well. The rain will make us more difficult to track. Hengist moves as if not tired, having been resting, more than sleeping.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174

Hertz

"Harder to track, yes, but moving out while it's fully on like this is not a good idea." Hertz answers, hoping the rain would not destroy his small journal too much. He sighed "I haven't written in it for ages. We don't have time to think much anymore."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Sitting in the rain was not helping improve Carter's mood. Hengist's happy sunshine view of the rain was a bit more than he could take without offering his opinion.

"The clouds and rain, which obscure the moon, allow our enemy, who has better visual capabilities, to continue to operate while we are effectively blinded. The sound from the downpour hitting the ground and leaves and such effectively obscures the sounds of their movement." Carter looks around frantically attempting to see or hear anything and adds, "They could have us surrounded right now and be ready to spring their trap and we'd never know."

I'm glad I'm not tired. I'm not sure I could sleep anyway in this situation.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-06-04 at 11:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Deladus

Deladus shakes his head at Carter's comment and makes a chopping motion with his hand at his side. "No, I believe that I would know if they were coming upon us," he states, reaching out with his forest sense to ensure his comment.

If all is well, he grins and stares up at the sky, seeming to gain strength from the rain*.

Spoiler
    Show

Forest Sense - 1 full round

*in the metaphorical sense

27. - Top - End - #177

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist seems thoroughly surprised at the lack of faith shown by his companions. He withholds comment, instead making prayer to The Lord of Thunder and thanking him for his assistance.

Hail, Thor, Lord of Thunder,
    Master of the Wind of the Western World.
    Hail, Thor, Hammer Wielder,
    Lord of Lightning, Lord of Storms.

This refrain is repeated, interspersed with words of thanks and praise. He keeps his volume low, audible as no more than a murmur for the duration of his worship.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

Sarrok Balderk

Looks up and frowns at the rain shaking his head. He makes quick work of placing all of his things inside his pack an secures them tightly. He looks bemused at a Deladus and Hengist as they enjoy the rain.

He looks up and whispers something to Carter and grins.

Trying to look more serious Sarrok starts "I think Caters right, this could be the perfect opportunity for the orcs to sneak up on. We now know that the orcs have access to Magicians so they my be able to track us through other means besides merely physical" He shrugs not knowing much on the subject "It could be a blessing from Thor, however I think I will call badly timed precipitation"

29. - Top - End - #179

Planetar

Nalik

even though he is just as grumpy about the rain as Carter and Sarrok, Nalik does his best to hide it.

I think this will hamper them more than us. It is unpleasant though. Is there enough material around here for us to build some sort of shelter?

He will look to see if he can see fallen branches and the like to build a lean to.

Spoiler
    Show

survival - (1d20+4)[24]

What a waste of a natural 20
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2008-06-05 at 12:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Through the quick application of sharp eyes, brute force, and clever hands, a temporary structure is erected that provides a fair amount of protection from the rain. It is large enough for everyone if people don't mind sharing personal space.

The rain lasts nearly an hour as a torrential downpour, then finally starts to let up. It takes roughly ten minutes for it to go from full rain to a light drizzle, then it stops completely. Everything is dripping wet, and the camping spot has become a quagmire of mud. But the stars are shining brightly again.