New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 3

Carter

Carter doesn't mind getting wet, but is kind of disturbed by the mud. After seeing Deladus in tree form and feeling his own strangeness and green tint, Carter was feeling a little paranoid that his feet might sprout roots if he let them get too covered in mud.

Rain wasn't all that bad, it was like taking a bath without all the hassles of getting neked. All the same, he was happy to see the stars out again and moved out from under the temporary shelter for the rest of the night so he could watch the stars spin round and round.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-06-05 at 08:46 PM.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Nalik

There is no help for it tonight. Hengist, if you can find a way to make a small fire that would not be seen, I am sure that it would be appreciated. Beyond that, lets try and get back to sleep if we can.

If Hengist thinks he can get a fire started, Nalik will help him find wood, then warm up for a second before going under the shelter to get back to sleep. If not, he will just try and go back to sleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist
    The locating of dried timber will be... difficult... given the circumstance, but your ill be done, Huskarl.

Hengist begins to rummage for firewood, staying relatively near to the camp. (Survival +8)
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite Hengist's skill with such, he is unable to locate any wood that isn't fully waterlogged.

5. - Top - End - #185

Oliana

Oliana wakes up groggily when the rain starts and quickly jumps to action to protect her stuff and help where she can. Once the rain stops she wrings out her robe as best she can and tries to stay warm.
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Carter, who wasn't sleeping before, continues to not be tired and is now uncomfortable enough that he probably couldn't sleep. He does lean back and 'daydream' while listening to the forest and watching the stars.

Huh.. maybe I'm becoming elven.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hertz

Hertz was able to get little sleep in the wet, uncomfortable night. He sighed, turned around, yawned, turned over again, let his thought wander and there, sighed a second time before turning around once again. At my age, maybe I'll start developping rheumatisms in this rain!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Forest Mud Pit
    morning, clear skies, warm

Everyone tries to sleep, or at least rest, and morning is slow in coming. The first rays of the sun are blocked by the trees, but the light steadily increases. Everything is still damp and muddy. Birds are chirping cheerfully enough, and the various scurryings of small animals can be heard not far from the campsite.

9. - Top - End - #189

Deladus

With a sneeze, Deladus sits up from his formerly sleeping position, rubbing at his nose. Feeling a tad off, he feels his forehead. Great, standing in the rain last night wasn't such a great idea.

Sneezing again, he stands and paces around the camp, attempting to clear his flu-addled brain.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

When the morning sun began to shine Carter got up from his muddy bed and stood before its warm healing rays with a rare smile upon his face. The sun and its life giving light brightened his mood even if his legs did feel a little slow this morning. Perhaps he did need sleep or meditation or whatever it is that them elves do.

Carter readies his gear, wipes his nose and stands guard while everyone else prepares for the day's journey. *Snork* Hmm.. maybe I'm allergic to something out here.

11. - Top - End - #191

Oliana

Yawning a bit as her watch ends, Oliana begins her morning studies.

"Oh, I found some things on the way out of camp that I may be able to make into helpful potions and what-not, but I need time to do it. Are we planning on camping here for a while? I may be able to do something about the comforts.... Hmmmmm" Oliana's becomes buried in her book as she takes some notes and draws some diagrams.

Spoiler
    Show

Just role playing new item acquiring.

12. - Top - End - #192

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok wakes up from the shelter and grumbles to him self wiping mud and gunk out of his hair. He sniffles and walks over to tree in search of the least muddy spot in the camp. He curls up in to a ball and says nothing.

13. - Top - End - #193

Oliana

"Yes! Excellent! I think we can do this. First thing's first, this scroll here, goes in here." Oliana pulls out a scroll and points to her book. "This will get us shelter without rain, and some protection."

14. - Top - End - #194

Planetar

Nalik

Our first course of action should be to find a better location to use as a base camp. Hertz and Hengist, please explore in that direction points away from Highgateand see what you can find. Return here in no more than 3 hours.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Hengist sneezes thunderously before nodding in acknowledgement. Behind all the hair, the large man looks rather wan, but says nothing, setting off in the direction he was assigned, searching for a better location

Survival +9, now. :)
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

When Nalik starts handing out assignment Carter smiles and stands nearly at attention waiting for something exciting. When Nalik stops handing out assignment, Carter's shoulders slump and he trudges slowly through the mud to check on his tripwires.

17. - Top - End - #197

Hertz

Stretching his limbs to warm them up, Hertz headed in the direction pointed by Nalik. His path took him slightly off from Hengist, but he made sure he remained within earshot in case something happened. He smiled slightly, half-expecting to hear a booming "Skraels!" anytime now.

Spoiler
    Show
    No ranks in Survival, but I do have a mighty Wisdom. So, Survival +5!

18. - Top - End - #198

Deladus

Deladus grins as Carter slumps dejectedly away. Mildly amused for the morning, Deladus wanders around the camp, gently touching each of the trees in the area, feeling their health and their strength. He marvels that he had never noticed such a thing before. Before this, he had been blind.

Shaking his head at his former ignorance, he sits beneath one of the trees and quietly listens to the forest, an ear out for any orders.

Spoiler
    Show

Forest Sense active, any chance of using that to remotely find good base camp areas? Survival +12

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

As Carter checks the makeshift alarm system, he mentions to Nalik, "If we can find a less transient campsight I've got materials to set up some traps, although I will need some time to install them."

Once his traps are checked out, Carter finds a place to stand in the sun and takes off his helmet and gauntlets to allow the morning sun to shine upon his face. Once his face is clear he 'looks' into the sun, with his eye closed and sneezes. After wiping his nose, he straightens back up and beings enjoying the warmth of the sun.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2008-06-14 at 02:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Heralede by another thunderous sneeze, the Norseman returns, slightly behind the old man. We have an issue. There are tracks outside the encampment. Humanoid. With my proportions. Either a Skrael, the one in blue, or one of comparable stature. They seem to come from this direction, Hengist points to the Northwest, and lead due north, toward rocky terrain.

Hengist's voice gets strained at the end as he tries, and fails, to suppress another sneeze.
    Last edited by Torger; 2008-06-19 at 08:56 AM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201

Hertz

Hertz let Hengist report most of what they had found, aware the northsman knew better than he what they were talking of. "We found the tracks about a hour out of the encampment, and followed them for a while. We turned back once reaching the rocky terrain, where tracking was made near-impossible."

22. - Top - End - #202

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik listens as both scouts report their findings.

There was only 1 set of footprints?
    waits for answer
    And they came no where near this camp?
    waits for answer
    Can you tell how old the tracks are?

Spoiler
    Show

I assume the tracks were made after the rain fall or they would have been washed out, but I don't know Nalik would know that.

Are there repercussions to Deladus staying as a tree for long periods of time? If not, then we can have him turn into a tree at night and he can always come from behind anyone attacking us. That would rock!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

Hertz

"There was only one set of tracks, and they indeed never came close to here." Hertz replied, before smiling as Nalik asked once of his very own questions. "Hengist said the tracks could not be old, or rain would've washed them away."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

A set of tracks an hour's walk from here... Could be some random woodsman or maybe some other humanoid unassociated with the orc camp.

Carter asks, "What are we thinking? Scout, searching for us? Could you tell how fast they were traveling? Was it maybe a runner sent out to warn some other group?"

25. - Top - End - #205

DwarfClericGuy

Hengist

Another thunderous sneeze. Thr tracks were made near the storm's end, and belonged to a single being. The pace seemed measured and sedate, and the depth did not indicate running. The being wore boots, stood over six feet tall, and, as I said, came from there, and went that way. It did not pass near this site. The Vinlander sits down heavily, leaning against a tree with his eyes closed and looking faintly miserable.
    Last edited by Torger; 2008-06-23 at 08:55 AM.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik considers the information that has been given to him, as well as the state of the team. Some of them will not be functional for quite a while. Unfortunately, Thor is much more interested in curing battlefield ailments, and not a common cold.

He looks to Oliana,
    What can your owl friend tell us? I would like to know a little more about the person who has made these footprints. I don't think Astryn or an orc would be traveling this way on their own, but we have seen that they posses the ability to fly, and that could pose us some problems.

Spoiler
    Show

OK, so who all has a cold at this point?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

As Nalik is finishing his question, Carter sneezes and the fakes a smile and says, "Sawwy", his nose obviously stuffed up. He steps back and mutters, "Allergies... I think." *SNORK*

28. - Top - End - #208

Oliana

Oliana looks up from her books, just barely to answer the question, "Fenny can fly out a mile and stay in contact with me; it sounds like the footprints were further than that away. Plus she sees better in the night, like me."

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledgeness:
    Local +9
    History +8
    Geography +7
    To see if Oliana knows enough about the area and Hengist's description of the walk and area to guess where BlueMan was heading. Such as local settlements, old stories, etc.

29. - Top - End - #209

Deladus

Quietly listening to the going-ons, Deladus concentrates on making his nose leak less. Leaking sap- erm, snot, wasn't very appealing.

30. - Top - End - #210

Sarrok Balderk

Sarrok remains in his spot under the tree seemly unconcerned with the rest of the party. He lets his mind wander back to the city with its warm fires and comfortable beds. Well maybe not comfortable always but at least mud free. He sneezes loudly and settles himself against tree.