New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dwellers in Darkness (Underhive campaign)

Hive Lysias stands eighteen thousand feet tall, as a mountain rising proud from a desert of ash and slag. Over one hundred million souls live and work within its walls, and yet such is its vastness that within its depths lie vast areas beyond the reach of law and civilised society. The dim underhive is a far cry from the regimented offices, manufactoria and residences above. Original pattern hab-domes with layouts reminiscent of surface cities mix with immense stretches of continuous construction, where factories and warehouses merge into one another for hundreds of yards in all directions. Structures have been reworked and repurposed until their orignal design was lost in a maze of haphazard partitions and passages. In the oldest parts of the hive, long since entombed beyond the reach of daylight and fresh air, whole areas lie abandonded, with toxic effluvia pooling in the ruins of structures long since collapsed. Only mutated beasts from the depths, like the dog-sized rodents known as chiselers, dare to tread in those reaches. But even among the ruins, there is some semblance of civilisation. Small pockets of habitation struggle amidst the desolation - inhabited by wild desperados who come seeking the forgotten treasures of ancient technology or freedom from imperial law. These settlements know little of law, only a rugged frontier code, to which even the rare Law Enforcement Division officers reluctantly acquiesce. Infractions are dealt with brutally - by either summary execution or enslavement in the camps of the merchant guild. It is in one of these camps that our story begins.

Lucius feels a rough hand shake him awake. He painfully forces his eyes open, to see he is in a featureless plascrete cell. His whole body aches - he can dully remember being manhandled, half conscious through the tests and inspections like some product in the manufactoria. The grim-jawed arbiters forcefully searching him. The medical servitors with their drills and needles. His mind recoils at the memory of the sanctioned psyker's intrusion. "Up!" barks the man standing over him, a powerfully built Arbite judge, "Get a move on, gak head." Lucius is forced onto complaining ankles, and frogmarched down the sparse corridor to what appears to be an office. Two armed guards flank a cluster of miserable prisoners before an ornate desk at which sits a figure in hooded robes. Lucius recognises a couple of Gav's boys, looking almost as beaten up as he feels, and Marius from the Wolves, with his right arm dangling limply by his side. Marius turns to glower at Lucius, but is cut short by a sharp slap across the back of the head from one of the Arbites. "Eyes FRONT, prisoner!"

The robed man places a seal on a parchment before him, then looks up. "Assembled prisoners are sentenced, for dealing in restricted substances, and other affronts to the Dignity of Man, to Corrective Servitude. Sentence to be enacted at Pit-head Alpha Five facility, forthwith." He hands the parchment to one of the guards. "Transfer orders are presented, take these prisoners to the place of punishment, and may the Emperor's light burn all sin from their souls." The Arbites click their heels in unison, chant "May the Emperor's light burn all sin from their souls." and march the four prisoners out.

Ignance is led in chains through a dirty plascrete corridor, by two men in dull grey smocks, hands resting nervously at their weapons. A third is supporting a limping comrade. "Fresh meat!" cries one of the men as the group approaches a plasteel gate, "Let us through." A hatch opens, then quickly closes again. A bolt scrapes, then the gate swings open, revealing a man dressed similarly to Ignance's captors. "Jes' look at the size of 'im" says the gateman, "Where'd you find 'im, Kurt?"
    "You think you can take our hunting grounds?" replies the leader of Ignace's captors, "You wouldn't stand a chance." He jerks a thumb at the injured man. "Rolf here tried to take the giant on alone, more fool him. Think what it'd do to a weed like you." The gatekeeper looks from Rolf to Ignace, and then back at Kurt. "Ha. Tell me where, and I'll bring back a bigger 'un. But you'd best get him locked up quick," says the gatekeeper. "We've got guests coming who wouldn't appreciate the likes of him wandering around."

"Let's go." says Kurt, leading Ignance away, "A bottle of rotgut says you can't top this brute!" he calls back to the gatekeeper.

Ignance's captors lead him smartly down a series of corridors, until they reach another plasteel door, which a waiting guard unlocks with a large key. On the other side, thick bars running from floor to ceiling define four cells on each side. In the cell at the far end, a raven haired young woman sits on her bunk, staring at the fair-haired poet-faced youth in the opposite cell. The guards take Ignance to the cell next to the young man and leave.

Shortly after, Ignance hears voices outside the cell block.

"You say the 'bites brought these ones in?"

"Aye, guess there's somethin' big brewin' to bring 'bites down here."

"Bad news I reckon. Lead-heads understand how things work - bring the prisoners, and don't ask questions. Even the viggies know their limits, but 'bites. Gakkin' bites just won't stop diggin'"

"Ain't that the truth."

A key turns in the lock, and the grey smocked guards lead in Lucius and the rest. Lucius is locked in the cell next to Ignance, with Marius next to him, and Gav's boys are taken to the cells opposite.

When the guards leave, Marius spits at Lucius through the bars separating them. "Don't think I missed you running." he snarls, "Looks like it's not done you any good, either."
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-03-25 at 04:01 PM.
    19th-20th Century Rulers - in Stick Form!
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Watch my descent into bankruptcy. Portfolio here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    OOTS: 13gp * 62 = 805gp
    DOOM: 11gp *15 = 165gp
    MIKO: 21 * 0gp = 0gp
    HNJO: 44 * 5gp = 220gp
    Cash: 1gp
    Net Worth 1191 gp

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwellers in Darkness (Underhive campaign)

Lucius cradles the back of his head with one hand and ducks the spit, giving Marius a two finger gesture that suggests he can bloody well gak off.

"And you expect me to do what, take out a 'bite kill squad with a bag of spook and my bare hands? Why don't you ask the gak heads over there what in the Emperor forsaken Warp happened?"
    jerking his head towards Gav's boys. He looks through the bars at Ignance, quickly sizing up the much larger man, but saying nothing.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance stares at his feet through the entire procession, saying nothing. Under the makeshift hood his rags make, his blue eyes radiate an immense sadness. Should have known they'd find me... Gak! Why can't they just leave me alone... I hope I didn't hurt that guy too much... guess I don't know my own strength.

He nods as he's taken to his cell. He offers no resistance as he's taken to his cell. He simply stands in the corner of his cell and keeps his eyes at his feet, saying nothing. They're gonna work you until you die... you know that don't you? No one cares about you. You're the mutant... heretic...unclean.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marius glares at Lucius. "Ain't never an excuse not to go down fightin'" he says, "Not if yer a man. Anyways, why doncher ask 'em yerself if you figure it'll help?"

The man in the cell next to Ignance spends some time sizing him up. Eventually, he crosses over to the bars and speaks. "Say there, big guy," he says, "while those fellas are holding their little reunion, why don't you and I get to know each other. I've known people who came out this system alive - pit fighters who won enough to buy their freedom - even a lucky few who escaped. If there's two things they've taught me it's that there's always hope, and that you need to have friends to make it through. My name's Holden - and you?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance lifts his head lazily towards the other prisoner. His eery blue eyes gaze at the man, a deep sadness in their eyes. He opens his mouth, and slowly replies, as if having trouble forming the words, Ig...nance. My name... is Ignance."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holden seems taken aback slightly. "Uh, Ignance..."he says, "It seems like you've seen a lot. If you want to talk about anything - well, time's one thing we've got plenty of in here."
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

7. - Top - End - #7

sick of Marius' idiocy Lucius looks around the bottom of the cell for something to whip at his gangmate's head.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

The cell is a spartan affair. Bare plascrete walls make up the floor, ceiling, and one of the walls, with plasteel bars, maybe two inches apart forming the other walls. There is no furniture, save for a dirty matress on an iron bed frame with a chamberpot beneath. Lucius's sharp eyes notice a spot where the wall is crumbling slightly, and there are chunks of broken plascrete small enough to fit through the bars.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance sighs. (He's obviously hunched as he stands, as I don't think the cell was really made for people of his height)

"Talking won't help us... and it doesn't matter... how hard we..we try... to get out. We're stuck here... to rot... to die... there's no hope..."

He gazes at the man intently, as if sizing him up. "Unless you've got some... gakkin... explosives wit' ya..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fair haired man looks Ignance up and down. "If you're talking about busting out right now, then you've got a better chance than me," he says, "But that's not the way I play things. Keep your ear to the ground, look out for opportunities. Take Bull Gorg of Necromunda - started out in much the same gak we're in - now people across the galaxy know his name. I figger that ain't your style - but there's still opportunities for the taking - the thing is to keep a level head long enough to spot 'em. Right now, talking could help with that."
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance shrugs his shoulders, getting a bit more animated. "What does it matter? The most famous slave is still a slave. We're dirt. Besides, I'll never amount to anything in the eyes of mankind. If I do happen to garner some sort of fame or recognition, I'll proabably be put to death by crazed fanatics anyway. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a mutant."

Ignance blinks his eyes is surprise. That came out perfectly! I didn't stutter, didn't speak slowly, what's goin' on?

12. - Top - End - #12

Lucius keeps an ear open to the conversation between the man-mountain and his friend. The hulking mutie sounds like he's taken a few to many shockmauls to the head, but he didn't look to messed up to Lucius, just a little down. Seeing the loose stones he picks one up, thinks of chucking it, but reconsiders and palms the rock up his sleeve.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Alright," says Holden, "I guess it's too soon to talk - you need time to think. I've been in and out of jails before - forget what it's like the first - " Holden suddenly falls silent, as the door to the cell block opens. Six men enter, in dull grey smocks and heavy boots. Each wears a broad belt, with a holster and some form of electronic device by the hip. Three of the men have batons drawn, and another two wear their batons next to the holsters, and hold in their hands long poles, whose tips bear a series of prongs, crackling with electricity. The sixth man has his hands free, save for a ring of keys. The man with the keys gestures to the two men with poles. "You two watch my back, " he says, "We're taking the giant first, and I don't want to take any chances. " He crosses to Ignance's cell, the two pole guards taking up positions on either side and grimly staring at Ignance. The baton guards spread out in the corridor, also keeping their eyes fixed on the huge mutant. One of them, who seems smaller and paler than the rest looks distinctly nervous, and is using his free hand to fiddle with the clasp on his gun holster. "Come on, mutie," says the keyholder, "Time for inspection".
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-03-29 at 10:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

14. - Top - End - #14

Lucius tenses, the fear roiling of the skinny guard smells like trouble coming. In a blink the rock is in his hand. In this cell he won't have much of a choice but to fight if the grox fodder hits the fan.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance puts his chin to his chest and smiles. Let's see how brave these fellas are...

He takes a step forward and flexes his muscles. He glares down at the slavers. "The men who captured me were better armed... and one of them had to be pulled out on a stretcher. If I come with you, it's because I want to..."

Maybe it's just the day I'm havin', but It's coming out how I want it!

OOC: Intimidate check. (1d20+3)[9]
    Feel free to add any circumstance bonuses (he is pretty big)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucius' move goes unnoticed. The guards are all watching Ignance, and the prisoners are all watching the guards. Most seem to have their eyes on the man with the keys, but it looks like one of Gav's boys has also noticed the skinny guard's hand straying near to his gun - he's tensed up and watching the skinny guard, while trying to signal his gang-mate in the next cell.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

(oops, missed paper bard's post - posting again instead of editing so you notice the thread update)

The two guards with the shock poles tense, and level their weapons at Ignance. He can see that they could probably reach about half-way into the cell if the guards thrust them through the poles. The skinny guard gulps and draws a crude stub gun from his holster. One of his fellows turns to him in alarm "Emperor's tears, Chuck, calm down! Save the guns for when we really need 'em. "

In the meantime, the man with the keys raises a hand and looks at the pole guards "Easy, men." he says, "Just watch and let me handle things."

He looks Ignance straight in the eye, and speaks in a calm, level tone. "You might be big, but you don't scare me. We train pitfighters here, some of the toughest in the hive - and me and my boys have pletny experience keeping 'em in line. All prisoners will be brought before the master guilder. You get to choose how you go."
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance's face is undreadable. Come on! What was that? They've got shock poles and guns and you're just some gakked up ape in rags. No way they'd be intimidatd by you! That was just stupid! Stupid!

He shrugs his shoulders, put's his hands at his sides, and walks forward. "As yuh...you wish..." He says slowly.

Damnit! Now you're stuttering again!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The key bearer steps aside from the door. "Good," he says, "I knew you'd see sense." The two pole-bearers take up positions either side of Ignance and escort him from the cell block. Although their faces are expressionless, they seem to be keeping their distance, standing off by about the reach of their poles.

As the pole men lead, Ignance outside, the keybearer starts unlocking the other cells and leading the inhabitants out to the centre of the block. The woman and Holden come without complaint. Marius glowers at the guards but does not resist. Chuck and another baton-wielded watch the three prisoners in the hall while the third guard watches the keybearer begin to unlock Lucius' cell.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

20. - Top - End - #20

Lucius thinks fast, if there was any chance of getting into a row, it has passed. He slinks back just out of range of the poles and palms the rock again, trying his practiced hand's speed to avoid notice.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolling sleight of hand (1d20+7)[14]
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The guards notice nothing amiss as they open the door and lead Lucius out of his cell, and into the main part of the cellblock. Through the door of the block, he can see the pole-men guarding Ignance just outside. As two of the guards go to unlock Gav's boys, Marius nudges Lucius and casts a meaningful glance towards Chuck, who is drumming his fingers repeatedly on the handle of his baton, and constantly looking out the door at Ignance.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

22. - Top - End - #22

Lucius gives an almost imperceptible nod and knocks the back of his arm across Marius' knuckles. A simple bump to anyone else it is a gesture between the wolves signaling that one has goods. Lucius hopes Marius catches the meaning, now is not the time for rancor.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Marius grins and returns the bump with his one good arm.

The keybearer swings the door of the cell in which one of Gav's boys is held, and commands the occupant to come out.
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-04-01 at 06:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler
    Show
    Is our skiddish friend's revolver still un-snapped? Because if it is I'm making a pass for it. If I succeed then I'm putting it to his head, if I fail I'm probably going to be in a lot of pain. Assuming I roll sleight of hand? (1d20+7)[25] and move silent to get next to him unnoticed (1d20+8)[9] sorry for making a post entirely contained in a spoiler Edit: wow, so I telekinetically lift the gun from its holster, but knock over a china cabinet in the process?
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2008-04-01 at 10:31 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucius tries to move inconspicuously towards Chuck, but stumbles and falls headlong into him, drawing the attention of all the guards, including the pole-men just outside. A look of panic crosses Chuck's face as he brings his baton back ready to swing, and pushes Lucius off with his free hand. Hans, the other baton guard who had been watching the prisoners takes a step towards Lucius, effortlessly stepping over the leg Marius swings at his feet. No-one seemed to notice Lucius lift Chuck's gun and tuck it under his body as he fell.

Gav's boy, seeing the keybearer's distraction, lunges forwards, but is a fraction too slow, and gets a heavy plasteel door in his face for his troubles. Holden and the woman are stunned by this turn of events and unable to react.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

26. - Top - End - #26

Lucius springs to his feet, the barrel of his new pistol pressed into the skin of chuck's forehead. He looks to the the guard Marius attempted to trip. "Drop the gun on the floor, all of you drop your gakking guns, or our friend Chuck gets a new gakking air hole. DO IT!"

Spoiler
    Show
    tumble check to jump up from prone (1d20+7)[22]
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2008-04-01 at 09:08 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could you roll for initiative, and make a touch attack to aim the gun, please.

For positions, see the map below:
    Spoiler
    Show

1 box is 5' square, dark grey boxes are cells, the peachy area is the corridor outside the cell block, all cell doors are shut and there are doors along the narrower corridor. Neither of you can see far enough along the wider corridor to make anything out, but it appears to be in very bad shape, with the far wall looking more like a pile of rubble. People are on the key:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+3)[20] Touch attack (1d20+3)[16]
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Initiative Roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[5]

Ignance waits for the right moment to unwind...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucius brings the gun up to Chuck's head in one smooth action. As he begins to speak, Hans attempts a flying tackle. "Hans! No!" shrieks Chuck.

Lucius has time to react. One standard action.

Spoiler
    Show

Shooting Chuck counts as a coup de gras. Shooting Hans takes a -4 penalty.
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-04-02 at 09:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings: