New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dwellers in Darkness (Underhive campaign)

Don't is the last thing Chuck ever says. Lucius is not a killer, but above all else he is a survivor, and he is not about to become a pit slave. Hans seems to be moving in slow motion. The trigger depresses, hammer impacts, skin ripples under the heat and pressure of the shot, then pops and pulls back as if it were running from the slug. Lucius closes his eyes involuntarily as blood splatters his face and tries to bring the gun around while bracing for the impact of the tackle.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8)[6]
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chuck gurgles as he slumps to the floor, face a bloody mess. Lucius barely has time to turn as Hans barrels into him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Opposed strengths for bull rush: Hans gets a total score of 12. If you fail, take d6+2 points subdual damage from being slammed into the bars

Whether Hans succeeds or fails, Marius takes a swing at him with his left fist, bringing it down hard on his shoulder. Holden, seeing the way things are going, runs up to Hans and grabs onto him, but is immediately thrown off.

Bud, the remaining baton guard holds Gaz at bay while Arn locks his cell. Dan, one of the pole men guarding Ignance runs past him into the cell block and thrusts the crackling tip at Lucius, who skillfully ducks the blow.

Ignance is up.
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-04-03 at 02:34 PM.
    19th-20th Century Rulers - in Stick Form!
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Watch my descent into bankruptcy. Portfolio here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    OOTS: 13gp * 62 = 805gp
    DOOM: 11gp *15 = 165gp
    MIKO: 21 * 0gp = 0gp
    HNJO: 44 * 5gp = 220gp
    Cash: 1gp
    Net Worth 1191 gp

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance uncoils like a snake, his big, meaty fist swinging around to slam into the other ole-bearer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage (if hit) (1d6+3)[6]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Ignance closes, Ed the pole bearer makes a thrust (Aoo), striking Ignance squarely in the chest. His muscles spasm as a sudden wave of pain washes over him (6 hp subdual), but he continues to land a crushing blow on the man's side.

The woman runs to assist Lucius, making a sharp jab at Hans, which he manages to block with his forearm.
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-04-03 at 03:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: I should still have a move action. Can I use it to pick up the stun rod that bugger hit me with?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: unfortunately for you, he didn't drop it when you hit him. To try and wrestle it from him would be a disarm attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: Oh? He's still goin'? I thought six damage would have been enough at level 1 to knock him out.

8. - Top - End - #38

(( (1d20)[14] opposed strength check ))
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hans powers into Lucius with a crunch of bones. Lucius stands firm and retains his hold on the gun as Hans springs back to where he was before, baton at the ready.

Lucius is up.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

10. - Top - End - #40

Gun out in front of him Lucius takes quick aim and fires at Hans' center of mass.
    Spoiler
    Show
    to hit: (1d20+3)[17] damage: (1d8)[4]
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hans grimaces in pain as the slug buries itself in his chest. Teeth clenched, he makes a desperate swing with his baton, catching Lucius in the ribs for 4 points subdual damage. Marius moves around to Hans' far side, trying to distract him with light jabs as Holden tries again to bring him down. Unfortnately, Hans is able to turn and ward off Holden's attack with his baton.

Dan makes another thrust at Lucius, this time connecting and sending sharp waves of electrical agony up Lucius' arm (3 points sd). Ed steps back slightly, crouching and wheezing from the pain in his side as he continues to try to fend Ignance off, scoring a glancing hit (1 point sd).

Arn hits a button on the electronic device on his belt, and barks "Disturbance, Block One!", and an alarm sounds somewhere to the north, as Bud takes up a combat position facing Marius.

"You can't win, the response team's on its way." He says, "Drop the gun and back against the wall, and you might get off with a flogging. Keep fighting, and you'll learn that there are worse things than being a slave."
    Last edited by Electric_Monkey; 2008-04-05 at 08:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

12. - Top - End - #42

Lucius gives Marius a glance and pops the release on the revolver, the remaining four rounds clattering to the floor, and then dropping the gun itself. He raises his hands and turns to the wall, better a pit slave then dead.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance sighs and puts his hands behind his head, panting heavily. He turns to the man he hit.

"Sorry... hope I didn't... hit... hit anything import...important..."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

The cartridges bounce and spin on the floor, the soft plinking they make somehow audible in spite of the klaxon wailing in the background. Marius stares at the dancing brass, fire draining from his face. He looks up at Bud, and at Arn who has now drawn his own weapon, a well-kept laspistol, then reluctantly joins the others at the wall. Hans kneels painfully over Chuck's prone form and forces speech through gritted teeth. "Emperor's tears, Chuck. Why'dja hafta turn yer safety off?." Chuck groans faintly in response (Yes folks, the Lich is a winner)

Dan merely glowers at Ignance as Ed returns from the cell and together they lead Ihim north through a corridor strewn with rubble. After a hundred or so feet, they pass two more guards, followed by five men in black flak armour, gasmasks and helmets, all moving at a run. Fifty feet further on, the group arrives at a crossroads - the corridors stretching east, west and north are far better maintained tan the southern corridor, and each has a guarded metal door at its end. Ignance thinks the eastern corridor was the way he came in.

Up against the wall in the cellblock, Holden whispers to Lucius, "Not a bad showing against six armed men - I think they'll fear you as much as the giant now."
    No sooner have the words left his lips, than the response team burst into the cell block and fan out, covering the prisoners with their riot shotguns. Arn lowers his laspistol in relief. "I think we're under control," he says. "Help us get these prisoners to inspection while we bring our wounded to the medicae" One of the response team flips a switch on his communicator, adn the klaxon dies down. Hans goes out limping on Bud's shoulder, Chuck cradled by the two other guards who had accompanied the response team. Arn and the five armoured men lead the prisoners out of their cells, and northwards up the corridor.

First Ignance and then the rest of the prisoners pass a small Imperial shrine, then two doors in the east wall, and finally take a door in the west wall, just before the heavy plasteel gate across the corridor and under the watchful eyes of two more guards.

The prisoners find themselves in a wide open room with six pole-guards around the edges and large double doors in the middle of the North wall, currently closed and barred. Along the near wall runs a fibroboard platform, on which four people wait to view the new prisoners. The first is a thin, balding man, almost seven feet tall, and wearing the deep purple robes of the merchant's guild. Beside him hovers a nervous young clerk, clutching a data slate. The third, a severe looking woman with tightly bound grey hair, wears in a brown robe and carries a large scroll. The forth is a solidly built man with a completely shaven head. He is shirtless, revealing a maze of scars and tattoos across his flesh.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance bows his head in shame.

Stupid! Stupid! How could you even think about escaping? What the hell were you thinking?

He growls and his eyes pulse with a stronger blue light. He looks at the guards as they bring him to the large room.

Everyone you hurt is someone's son or daughter. Maybe an aunt, an uncle. Maybe a father or mother, a sister or brother. You got to thnik things through dammnit!

He scowls even deeper, but more at anger at himself, not those around him.

If you're going to be a slave, get on their good side. Be nice to them. Do what they tell you...
    But what if they tell me to hurt someone?
    Then you do it... it's you or them.

He sighed heavily. You or them... you or them... you or them...

When he arrives at the large room, he scans the rather pmpous-looking people before him.

16. - Top - End - #46

Lucius nods his thanks to Holden and Marius. He follows quietly to the room that he figures for a reviewing chamber and waits for things to play out. His outward appearance is normal, but a careful observer will notice the tremors in his hands.

I just killed a man... or tried... and tried to kill another. What am I doing? I'm no killer! Am I?
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman on the platform looks at Ignance, and hisses sharply to the man in purple "Another mutant? Why do we allow such corruption here?" The man narrows his eyes and replies "You knew our business when you agreed to serve with us, Confessor. Our duty is to bring the light of the Emperor to all who need it."

"Do not think you know Imperial duty better than I do, Heinrich." declaims the woman."You, whose true loyalty is to his pocket book. While this facility remains of value, I will continue to work with you, and pray nightly that you come to your senses before you bring ruin on us all. "

The man grimaces "Your point is noted, Confessor," he says, "But there is business to attend to. " he turns to Arn, "I think we had best begin with your report on this disturbance."

Arn gives his report, Heinrich nodding solemnly. When Arn is finished, Heinrich turns to the bare-chested man. "That killer instinct is interesting, Harl. Do you think this one could prove valuable in the arena?" Arn looks extremely disconcerted. "With respect, sir." he says"The man may well have killed Chuck."

"I knew Chuck. He was weak, and of little value to us. Disciplining the prisoner is at your discretion, provided you leave him fit for duty. We shall discuss security later, but for now, let us examine this 'Lucius' "

Arn bites his tongue, and gestures to two pole guards, who lead Lucius onto the platform.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

18. - Top - End - #48

Lucius knows that he's well out of his depth, and though normally mouthy he stays quiet. he doesn't want to give Arn any more reason to kill him then he already has.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Harl, the bare-chested man peers closely at Lucius, and orders him to perform a series of simple exercises. While Harl is assessing Lucius, Heinrich turns to the clerk " How did this one come to be here?" he asks.

"Adeptus Arbites brought him in sir," is the clerk's reply "Him, those two, and that one with the broken arm. Gang members they say."

"Arbites? If they want to check up on their prisoners that'll make it difficult to get a quick turnaround from our broken-armed freind. Let's hope we can regain some of the cost of his healing time. As for the gangs, anything that'll cause us trouble after the Arbiters go uphive?"

The clerk consults his data slate "Says here they're 'the Wolves' and 'Gav's Boys' - small scale drug gangs from around Burthaven's Refinery. Seems the Arbiters just about wiped them out - what's left will have gone to ground."

Harl finishes his inspection and reports to Heinrich "Lucius seems to have good flexibility and speed, even if he's lacking in muscle mass. Lots of good potential as a gladiator"

Heinrich nods, and gestures to the guards who lead Lucius off the platform. He then calls up the rest of the gang members, followed by Ignance.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Harl and Heinrich study Ignance admiringly - they seem very impressed by his size and strength. The confessor looks disgusted and mutters a prayer under her breath. Finally it comes time for Holden and Tasha. The clerk speaks up. "Ah, you'll find these two quite intersting, sir." he says "Seems the woman had a lot of unpaid debts, and when the collectors came this chap here tried to defend her. Poetic fool said they couldn't take away his love, so we got two prisoners for the price of one."

Heinrich casts a critical eye over the two."The male doesn't look particularly valuable, but the female....I can see some of the uphive nobles paying a pretty price for her...I have seen enough. Guards, return the prisoners to their cells for now. Arn, we must discuss security before it is time to bring the prisoners to their duties."

The guards return the prisoners to the cell block, and leave them alone in each other's company.
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

In a fit of rage, Ignance slams his fist into the wall of his cell, ignoring the obvious pain said action causes.

"Damn... it..."

He turns to the other prisoners. "They were sizing us up... like... we were peices of...meat!"

22. - Top - End - #52

"That's all we are to them, meat for the slaughter." Lucius sounds winded, the earlier fight has left him somewhat detached, he slides down the wall into a sit. "Marius, no hard right? We need to stick right close now more than ever. Ignance right? Looks like you'll be with us in the pits, we'll get another chance for a breakout soon enough I hope."
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance snort derisevly.
    "Yes... cuz our fir...first try... isn't goin' to have any...consequences."

He turns to Lucius. "You realize... they'll make us... fight each...each other."

24. - Top - End - #54

"Not if we fight them first"
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance shrugs.

What...ever. Whether the glass is half empt...empty or half fu...full...yer still missin' half a glass."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holden grins. "Maybe I could top your glass up a little, then." he says, "I'm not the fool they make me out as - wouldn't get thrown in without a good chance to bust Tasha out. I've got contacts who can get me things - knives, guard schedules, maybe even a copy of the keys. And now you've seen how the guards fight, we can get a plan together."
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

27. - Top - End - #57

"Now you're speaking my language." Lucius cracks a smirk "We have brains speed, and brawn in spades, and now we have supplies. When can you make contact?"
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ignance scowls at Holden. "Tell...me... where wuh...would we buh be going if we mah...manage to escape...?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Shouldn't be more than a day or two - I'm lucky to be in this camp, it's one of the best for my network. Might take a while to get the more sensitive stuff, though. Once we're out, we can skip across the hive. This deep you can go a single click and be a stranger. Of course with the 'bites on your back we might have to go further, but searching the whole underhive's a no go."
    Spoiler
    Show

PM me to request an av
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Holdings:
    Net Worth 1191 gp

30. - Top - End - #60

"Excellent, all we have to do is live till then." he turns to Marius and the two Gavies "What about you lot, fancy a new start?"
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2008-04-23 at 08:59 PM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show