New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    The usage of "hicks" is commonly derogative, my fanboyism immediately kicked in. Also, the pilot is hardly "redneck"...
    I see no chickens, wifebeaters or lots of empty beercans.
    Therefore not redneck.

The accent/way of talking in firefly is familiar, but I can't really place it. It's like the western way of speaking as taken from westerns, not how people really talk.

Plus there are so many great one-liners and moments in that show I really don't see how someone could NOT like it. I mean Mal just walks on the ship and shoots the guy that's been causing problems the whole episode right in the face. I love that man. <3

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Re. Lexx: I am a big fan of weird

The most recent Firefly I saw was Serenity. It was reasonably enjoyable. And yes, it was full of oh-so-quotable quotes. But they all felt so damn contrived, all "this'll be repeated by the fans for years to come!" I think that's the main thing that bugs me about it: Oh yes, it's quotable. But it goes to so much effort to be so...

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Serp! You reminded me!
    I have learned two new things about Australians yesterday.

1. Apparently Australia has the milligrams of tobacco product labeled on their cigarettes.
    2. Australian IDs, or at least the one that I had to look over, is/are extremely simplistic and yet, mildly annoying at the distribution of information at the same time.

-edit-
    3. There are a lot of Australians, Irish, and Japanese in this city for some reason. Or they just really like Walgreen's...
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2008-03-30 at 02:58 AM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Banned

On the subject of Serenity, while I did like the movie, I dislike the way in which they concluded the series with all manner of finality. I realise it never would've happened, but what if someone had wanted to revive Firefly a few years later? Well, then we, the fans, would've been robbed of all the space cowboy shenanigans, that's what.

Also, they didn't have to

Spoiler
    Show
    kill off Wash. He was cool. And it's not as though he died for any particular reason, either. The Shepherd I didn't really care about because most of the time he was annoying, despite the ol' used to be an assassin thing, but Wash was funny.

Our love for him now ain't hard to explain. The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-03-30 at 05:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

We are all forgetting the most important thing here.
    Kaylee! She's adorable.
    Simon's kinda cute, too. In an awkward way.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    Because China and America formed up to make the Alliance as they colonized the universe. They all speak Chinese for that reason, and they mostly use it for swearing...
    The swearing was the one inconsistent part I found in "Firefly". Everyone I know reverts to their native language when they really swear with intent; they don't switch to another. That was a typical 'getting it past the censors' TV dodge (goes back at least as far as "Mork & Mindy"). Ruined the verisimilitude for me.

PS: Inari > Kaylee > Zoe > River
    Warrior women and schizo birds are much too tiring, give me elegance and/or sweetness for preference.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-03-30 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Needs more Inari, no exceptions!

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    The swearing was the one inconsistent part I found in "Firefly". Everyone I know reverts to their native language when they really swear with intent; they don't switch to another. That was a typical 'getting it past the censors' TV dodge (goes back at least as far as "Mork & Mindy"). Ruined the verisimilitude for me.
    Not true, the most popular swear words here in Holland are English.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Not true, the most popular swear words here in Holland are English.
    While that might be true in Holland, most of the swear words I use are Dutch in origin (the only English language swear word I use is F***), I use Dutch names for genitals and Dutch names for diseases (yeah, we Dutch use things like Cancer and Cholera as swears).

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    While that might be true in Holland, most of the swear words I use are Dutch in origin (the only English language swear word I use is F***), I use Dutch names for genitals and Dutch names for diseases (yeah, we Dutch use things like Cancer and Cholera as swears).
    Awesome! I'm going to start using diseases.

Aw, Cancer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

10. - Top - End - #310

We use cancer as a curse.
    "I hope you die from cancer".

We also swear on people's graves.
    "I wish someone [insert inappropriate verb here] on your grave".

And people love to make up curses all the time.
    "I wish you become really, really rich, gain a lot of money.... and use it all for medicines and doctors".

All artwork stolen from Bathy

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am the best inventive curser ever. Or at least very detailed.
    "You mangy rear end of a mongrel cur! I hope you are smote down by the very dark gods I worship!" Or something like that. I used that one and made the poor cursee blanch.
    Of coure, siomplicity is always good, "May you live in interesting times!" is one of my favourites because people think it's a good thing.

Insomnia until eight am on the day the clocks go forward is unfunny. (That's eight am before I 'went forward') So, it turns out I wake at two thirty. Well, by wake I mean leave that wierd fugue state you enter after a certain amount of time trying to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Banned

Remember not to stint on the blasphemy. People have forgotten why the short forms of blasphemous sayings are offensive. Remind them!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray for daylight savings time! It means I no longer have to walk to and from school in the dark! It marks 'proper' spring, not this phoeny 'snow at Easter is totally cool and normal' spring! All the flowers are, uh, flowering! And I've seen about three or four queen bees out looking for a new home. Calloo callay such a frabjuous day!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hooray for daylight savings time! It means I no longer have to walk to and from school in the dark! It marks 'proper' spring, not this phoeny 'snow at Easter is totally cool and normal' spring! All the flowers are, uh, flowering! And I've seen about three or four queen bees out looking for a new home. Calloo callay such a frabjuous day!
    Mmmmyou could put it that way. All that matters to me is I now have that one hour that was ruthlessly stolen from my day last year back.
    Last edited by Sensate; 2008-03-30 at 12:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315

No! It's an unfrabjous day. My window faces east!
    East!
    It'll wake me up every day at x o'clock when I want to sleep. Can you imagine still trying to sleep when the sun's fully up? And you know that if you don't sleep now you'll fall asleep at some unseasonally early hour and wake up extremely early.
    How unfrabjous this day is.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

I just got a bunch of my college application results back. I'm into my second choice college! I find out about my first choice tomorrow! I got waitlisted by a couple places, but I don't care about them, because I like the place I got accepted by better! Eeeeeee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    I just got a bunch of my college application results back. I'm into my second choice college! I find out about my first choice tomorrow! I got waitlisted by a couple places, but I don't care about them, because I like the place I got accepted by better! Eeeeeee!
    Congratulations, that must be a very happy day for you! I remember when I got accepted to college, it was transcending.

18. - Top - End - #318

@Curly:

My window faces south, but I hate the sun and it's very sunny here.

So, I got dark purple curtains. They're nice, match with the purple walls and it's always dark, unless I decide I want to see the sun.

Why don't you get curtains?

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray for daylight savings time!
    Hooray for you maybe.
    Do you know how many clocks I have in my room?
    That's 13 bloody clocks I have to change.
    And that's not even taking into account my watchs and digital stuff.
    Daylights savings are the biggest chore in the world for me.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Hooray for you maybe.
    Do you know how many clocks I have in my room?
    That's 13 bloody clocks I have to change.
    And that's not even taking into account my watchs and digital stuff.
    Daylights savings are the biggest chore in the world for me.
    ...why so many clocks?

...also, wasn't the change weeks ago?
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

21. - Top - End - #321

The change was yesterday for me.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Europe changed yesterday.
    And I can't get curtians because we have no curtain rod ans the walls are too weak to allow one being put in without breaking. Which is bad because the wall suppports the roof.
    Also; I like having the window wide open.
    But that means I get early morning seagulls.

@SurlySeraph: Congrats on your applications.

@Bath: Hehe. September . . .

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

What about September?

Or am I missing something?

Again?

Damn Jibar, I've only got *counts* 11 clocks. All of which (except for the automatic radio clock) are wrong. Which is not going to change in the near future.

In other news I found a coin embedded in lava in my desk draw today, but I have no idea where it's from...

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    ...why so many clocks?
    ...OCD.

And Bath, in all fairness, two of them are digital, so I only have 11 proper clocks.
    My room ticks so loud if you leave the doors open you can hear it all through the house.
    People ask me how I can sleep with it, I ask how can they not.

*Dances a dance of weirdness*
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

25. - Top - End - #325

Spetmeber: uni applications.

@Jibar: Same thing here only on a lesser scale. Every room in our house (bar the bathroom) has between three and nine clocks. Digital and anaolgoue. The worst are the bells that chime every hour on the hour.
    Best part is that they're all wrong. But we know by how much so we look at the window wall clock in the front room and it says 12:34 and we know it's 18:34.
    Or the door wall clock in the front room and it says 3:45 we know it means 16:45.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #326

...OCD.

And Bath, in all fairness, two of them are digital, so I only have 11 proper clocks.
    My room ticks so loud if you leave the doors open you can hear it all through the house.
    People ask me how I can sleep with it, I ask how can they not.

*Dances a dance of weirdness*
    I think I'd snap and go on a killing spree were I ever to spend an extended period of time in your room...
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, most people say the same...
    The extent of this need is such that whenever I go on holiday I actually take two or three clocks with me so I can sleep.
    Someday I hope to stick all my clocks in one rucksack and try and board a plane with it.
    Nothing but a Nobody

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I am the best inventive curser ever. Or at least very detailed.
    "You mangy rear end of a mongrel cur! I hope you are smote down by the very dark gods I worship!" Or something like that. I used that one and made the poor cursee blanch.
    Of coure, siomplicity is always good, "May you live in interesting times!" is one of my favourites because people think it's a good thing.
    We had a kid in one of the classes I help out in call someone a 'ragamuffin' the other day. That was awesome. Of course, since it's English we teach them all sorts of Shakesperean insults as well. "Moon-calf" has caught on quite nicely

Insomnia until eight am on the day the clocks go forward is unfunny. (That's eight am before I 'went forward') So, it turns out I wake at two thirty. Well, by wake I mean leave that wierd fugue state you enter after a certain amount of time trying to sleep.
    Spetmeber: uni applications
    Wow, your insomnia shows
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh dear! Poor Scorpina! *gives her earmuffs*

Yeah, most people say the same...
    The extent of this need is such that whenever I go on holiday I actually take two or three clocks with me so I can sleep.
    Someday I hope to stick all my clocks in one rucksack and try and board a plane with it.
    ...you crazy little muffin, you...

...get someone to videotape it. :P
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Glaivemaster View Post
    Wow, your insomnia shows
    I'm sorry! My brain can't wake up.
    And I call people ragamuffins on a nigh daily basis.

@Jibar: You try that and I'll want to see the tape too. Just try not to get shot. No leaky Cat-Muffins allowed.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!