New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

*hugs Alarra and tailwhips Serpy*...meaniekins!
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Wadledo's Weirdly Warbling Watercress Watching Washing Machine Only Random Banter

Now, Serpentine, that was just mean. Here, Alarra, watch this video, it ought to soothe you.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-03-27 at 01:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, those spooky stories had me trying to look up spirit photography, but it all looks like crap. Anyone have anything else I should look up? I might just try "ghosts"...

edit: On Blink, someone pointed something out to me ages ago that just added even more to its creepiness: There are times when noone on the show is looking at them, but they're still stone. So why are they stone? Because you are looking at them!
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2008-03-27 at 01:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

An angel statue? GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! RUN!!!!

I just find it amusing that it was the sign on doom. And that the reaction wasn't, 'What angel statue? You know my wife collects those little ceramic kid statues they sell on the shopping network. I try to get to stop but she just thinks they are so adorable....'

On a more 'I feel for you' note, I used to love horror stories. The only ones that ever worked on me though were the 'the call is coming from inside the house', 'the truck driver was flashing the lights because the killer was in the back seat of the car', 'the hook made scraping noises on the door' and 'black dog hairs were found on his dead body'. Oddly, those affected me enough that I am now subsequently creeped out remembering them.

Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show

I used to read whatever I could on car trips. One time I was in my Godparents car and had forgotten reading material. I was pretty young at the time and decided to read my god brothers horror book. There were little one or two page clips about different monsters. I kinda laughed at all of them, none really seeming scary to me, when I came across the Vampire. It was my first exposure to the idea and that version was the kind where they leave at night to collect hearts in glass jars. A rather small division of the mythos. Anyways, I was instantly transfixed. I loved the idea and was scared out of my mind. Thus began my life long vampire interest. Though the 'keeping a wooden state at the side of my bed because the vampires watch me while I try to sleep' stage lasted a lot longer than it should have. I don't think the pioneer village folks figured their wooden stake making activity would be put to that use. Though I can't remember why you would make one otherwise.
    Character Stats

Phoenixineohp avatar by Trog!

5. - Top - End - #125

You might be interested to know that old methods for dealing with pesky ghosts included pinning them underground with a stake... As that little snippet in my book says (quoted, but from memory only), "walking near a lonely stake in a desolate field, you might hear a faint voice wafting up from below the ground: "I'll push... and you pull.""

Oh, my favourite ghost stories, from that same book! They go something like this:

"Waking up in the dark late at night a man reached for a match... and one was put in his hand."

A man was staying at a friend's house. His friend's servant (or someone) mentioned that his room was reputedly haunted, but he laughed it off. Getting into bed, though, he felt the night pressing on him. So he got up, looked under the bed, examined the wardrobe and draws, checked out in the hall, then locked the door and turned out the light. As he lay in bed in the dark, a tiny voice whispered from the vicinity of the inkstand with satisfaction, "Ah, now we're shut in for the night."
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2008-03-27 at 01:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126

I think my DM had heard of that....

But is it wrong if I found that cute in a way?
    Character Stats

7. - Top - End - #127
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ghost stories? Is that what RB has deteriorated into? I will give you all ONE CHANCE to redeem yourselves! Support my world domination! Join my armies of death and legions of terror! Find me a Mutant Ninja Squirrel breeder with low rates and lower sanity! Then, when I have conquered the world, I shall cordon off all the good artists in "Artistic Confinement Centers" with fresh bread daily, running water, and the opportunity to interact with their family or potential love interests at least once a week.

Remember, Join me, and we will have a better world! Bwa-hahahahaahah!

As for the pathetic little ghosts that think to stand in my way? I will destroy them with my Patent Pending Proton Pack! Take that slimy thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #128

I think that it would be a very bad idea to confine artists in a building or area. Have you seen an art school? *shakes her head*
    Character Stats

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixineohp View Post
    I think that it would be a very bad idea to confine artists in a building or area. Have you seen an art school? *shakes her head*
    They wouldn't be confined so much as locked away for their safety! And these things would be big! Like the size of Manhattan. I might just turn Manhattan into one. :evilgrin:
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #130

Hmm... The New York Scene is still a center for art. That could work. And they may not notice the change.
    Character Stats

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    "Waking up in the dark late at night a man reached for a match... and one was put in his hand."
    Eheh, that's one neat book you have there. Maybe it's just me, but those ghosts sound friendly, as if they're only there because they feel lonely.

12. - Top - End - #132

Heh, aww. It's Ghosts from the Enchanted World series, if you're interested.

Also, watch out Rockfed, lest the aliums from Saturn's moon* come get ye!

See people? This is what happens when you get me on these paranormal subjects... ^

*That's no moon!
    ^I don't get any work done

13. - Top - End - #133

>_>
    <_<
    Spider scenes tingling... I sense we need a new subject.

I hereby insert the theme, "What if people had flashlights for ears, but they could still hear out of them"

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Ooooh, Zak is back!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Death Knight by Threeshades, Werewolf Knight by boomwolf

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, for one thing, those sideways-facing mugshots would be completely useless, what with light shining into the camera and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Jibar is not sleeping tonight.
    Thank you Serpy.

This would also be a fun time to mention I never actually saw Blink, and so this is the first time I've seen the statues all evil.

God this is going straight in the Nightmare Bin with The Woman In Black.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh I wish I could believe that article. Although I will read it eventually (currently on page 3, it's fun), due to the very nature of the website that also features topics like the "Face on the Moon" and the like, the tactfully written text with many cliched, italicized sentences - you simply can't expect me to give it much credibility. Also, those shots are overly unclear.
    Last edited by Sensate; 2008-03-27 at 03:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post

Jibar is not sleeping tonight.
    Thank you Serpy.

This would also be a fun time to mention I never actually saw Blink, and so this is the first time I've seen the statues all evil.

God this is going straight in the Nightmare Bin with The Woman In Black.
    Heh, I am legend kept me awake for a week. I will never forgive my sister for it.

But isn't the point of making statues on churches to make them all evil looking for to scare off weird things? I could be a nutcase though. Speaking of scary Gothic statues, whatever happened to that Gargoyles cartoon? That thing rocked 10 years ago(though I can't remember much as it was on right when I got home from school and I am really bad at doing the same thing at the same time everyday.)
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixineohp View Post
    I'm in an art school. We keep our sanity by keeping the subject off of anything art-related unless there is a competent mental health professional present.

Oh, and can I sig you on that one?
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Okay, Zeb is officially "tired". Just in case anyone was wondering.

I finally got ineternet and TV at the new house yesterday, so that's good. The installers left shortly after noon. From noon to 9pm I was only able to drift off for a nap that lasted about 30 minutes before I had to get up and start getting ready for work.

The reason? I'm afraid I might be allergic to my new pets. I've not had pets as an adult and so haven't been confined in a building with them for days at a time until now. Now I have a basset hound and a long haired cat. I spend all my time sniffling and wheezing and sneezing. I don't want to get rid of the poor dears, but I'm not sure what options are available. Of course I need to verify my suspicions by going to a doctor and getting tested. But what happens if my fears are confirmed? When I was a kid my sister had some bad allergy problems and she had to get shots to be able to function normally in the world around her. As a man in my mid to late 30's, that prospect does not appeal to me at all.

But that was 25 years ago. Are there solutions out there now that don't involve weekly shots or simply pumping myself full of Benadryl for the rest of my life?
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Are there solutions out there now that don't involve weekly shots or simply pumping myself full of Benadryl for the rest of my life?
    Keep them in a giant inflatable bubble for the rest of THEIR lives?
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    I'm in an art school. We keep our sanity by keeping the subject off of anything art-related unless there is a competent mental health professional present.

Oh, and can I sig you on that one?
    You raise a valid point. Perhaps I should confine all artists and intellectuals to small compounds where they can interact with eachother and progress science and learning. Perhaps I should force them to teach the rising generation both useful and esoteric knowledge to earn their daily bread.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm allergic to long haired cats and all dogs, and have been for 15 years or so, and I'm afraid I've never found a way around it. I have allergy tablets for when I'm going to be around such creatures, but I've never been able to keep anything like that as a pet, it's just sneezes and rashes continuously for me until I give up.

As for solutions I honestly don't know. Standard allergy tablets work for a while, but living with something you're allergic too....I really don't know if there's anything that can put a stop to it.

It's a shame, I like animals, but I can't keep anything bigger than a Guinea Pig!

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    You raise a valid point. Perhaps I should confine all artists and intellectuals to small compounds where they can interact with eachother and progress science and learning.
    That wouldn't be a good idea, many great scientists and artists throughout the history were solitary individuals not very happy with their social lives. Confining them all together would probably result in the creation of groups that would possibly prevent the development of one's thoughts and ideas in a different direction.

On the other hand, I believe Athens was such a place, up to an extent. In the Childhood's End, a book by Arthur C. Clarke I've read recently, modern-day Athens is formed in a time of peace brought by the superintelligent alien race. It was supposed to be a moderate-sized city/town where children would attend art and science schools from their early ages, where the goal of each citizen would be to excel in a form of art/science, released from the strains of slavery and other issues the original Athens had. Now that could work...not a single building .

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

You evil, evil woman
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

25. - Top - End - #145

You might be interested to know that old methods for dealing with pesky ghosts included pinning them underground with a stake... As that little snippet in my book says (quoted, but from memory only), "walking near a lonely stake in a desolate field, you might hear a faint voice wafting up from below the ground: "I'll push... and you pull.""

Oh, my favourite ghost stories, from that same book! They go something like this:

A man was staying at a friend's house. His friend's servant (or someone) mentioned that his room was reputedly haunted, but he laughed it off. Getting into bed, though, he felt the night pressing on him. So he got up, looked under the bed, examined the wardrobe and draws, checked out in the hall, then locked the door and turned out the light. As he lay in bed in the dark, a tiny voice whispered from the vicinity of the inkstand with satisfaction, "Ah, now we're shut in for the night."
    ^_^
    Tales of Terror right? I love reading that one, Night Creatures and the other one bound in black just before bed when I'm the only one awake.
    And then walking the dogs in the pre-dawn.
    That is shiver-inducing.
    And you culled those little snippits from the side margins right? I like the Norwegian baby one and the Inuit story and the one where it talks about all the possible origins of vampires. And the Djinn one.
    And Ankou and the Wild Hunt. Because I live near there.

And I thought it was an Inn. And the Innkeeper said the room was haunted.
    Now I want to do my Haunted Inns of Britain puzzle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Funny Story:

There was a huge lunch organised for every staff member in our rather large organisation and at one point I was sitting at a table with a whole heap of IT staff from a different city office when I happened to mention that I'd detected an unsecured wireless network on my mobile.

Every single IT person got out their mobile phones and immediately tried to connect. Heck, we even got lolcats.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

27. - Top - End - #147

I'm pretty sure it was Ghosts. They're among the ones I've flipped through the most, along with Dragons and Magical Beasts. Yup, from the margins

Rawhide: You're all a bunch of nerds

28. - Top - End - #148

I'm pretty sure it was Ghosts. They're among the ones I've flipped through the most, along with Dragons and Magical Beasts. Yup, from the margins

Rawhide: You're all a bunch of nerds
    And we're not nerds for being able to recognise where the stories come from or that we both peruse the same set of books.
    Given a bit of thought I think I could even tell you page numbers for them. The mmatch one is from pg. 197 give or take five pages.
    The crossroads one is (although I'm not sure of the page) in chapter one of the book and on the right hand side margin. I think there's even a picture in reddish brown colours.
    If I'm right I now have a semi-photographic memory; or an extraordinarily good one.
    Dragons and [/I]Magical Beasts[/I] are some of my favourites too. I love the wierd sheep-plant and the ant-lion. Best. Improbable. Monsters. Ever. Oh; and the goose-rock things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #149

Mordokai, I hate you.

This sounds stupid now, but yesterday I was scared!

The story I found really scary was the mirror one. Because earlier that day, I had looked at my mirror and saw myself blink. (I was sleepy and forgot about it til I read that story)

I was alone here when I read it, it was 2 am, I had a mirror right next to me and was trying not to look at it.

I tried to sleep, but was thinking all this scary stuff and couldn't relax. I got scared with every little noise. (why are there no noises when I'm up and the lights are on? )

So, I got a stupid dream, a black shadow/fog with claws getting out of the small mirror above my bed, to drag me in. Then I heard someone breathing next to my ear, and woke up. I was so scared!

Then I convinced myself that it was just myself breathing anxiously in my sleep, so I kinda woke myself up. ( I still have the feeling that I actually heard someone else)

It took me like half an hour to relax again, and when that happened, I feel my bed shaking, with a VMMMM noise.
    I'm lucky I didn't get a heart attack.
    I had forgotten to turn my cellphone off, and someone was calling me. My phone first vibrates and then rings.
    I answered; Silence. Someone has too much free time.

I turned it off, and tried to sleep, but just couldn't.

I saw the daylight once again, and then managed to sleep.
    Woke up today, at 3 pm.

I so hate you, Mordokai.

(I like scary stories, but yesterday I was very scared. I feel stupid.)
    Last edited by I'm da Rogue!; 2008-03-27 at 09:52 AM.

All artwork stolen from Bathy

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak