New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: 101 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 91

Once again, I like how I can find things I favor about each character. Parson is momentarily being the hero/badass, but Ansom is playing such a defining and critical role here. He's standing for something specific, and as offensive as it may seem on the surface, (not to me) we all feel this way to some degree.

It's pretty clear splitting the coalition is still the order of the day. If Parson can get Ansom (and probably Jillian) running off to Faq, that leaves a showdown between Vinnie and Parson, which is probably going to be...protracted.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wender View Post
    I did not expect Parson to be able to drive wedges between Ansom and Webinar, let alone Vinnie.
    What makes it even funnier is that Parson isn't driving the wedges (because no one else knows what he's saying). He handed Ansom a bunch of wedges and a sledgehammer and got him to hammer them in for him.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Wonder if Parson's height is having any impression on Ansom at all?

Not that it needs to. Although if anyone else sees this conversation, they might be impressed by Parson and his demeanor.

Gonna be interesting what's said next. Unless Parson had no goal other than causing this apoplectic fit.
    Parson should just pretend to be a Titan. Hope this hasn't been said yet -- haven't been reading.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    I think he's trying to get Ansom to offend his non-royal allies.
    Bingo, Bloody Red Commie. I love this week in Webcomics. Girl Genius is being a perfect showcase for Worshipful Lackey Acquisition. New Erfworld is Venemous Whispers Technique.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabra View Post
    Side Note: Note Jillian saw Ansom's rage-on as well, and she takes a dim view of royalty.
    Jillian described Ansom's belief in noblesse oblige as "that kinda crap" in the context of its best aspects (courage, concern for followers). How is she going to react to this raw display of its worst aspects (arrogance, contempt for social inferiors)?
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-25 at 10:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: 101 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 91

Haha, yesss... that was awesome.
    Was anyone else reminded of Ben from LOST? Parson analyzed Ansom's weakness and was able to use his weasel tongue to make him lose his cool.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

My suspicion is this: The goal isn't necessarily to make Ansom offend his allies (although I'm sure that would be a bonus), but to get Ansom unreasonably angry with Stanley. Meanwhile, the thinkamancer is sending all the strain of breaking the thinkagram to the foolamancer with which she was recently linked.

End result: Foolamancer out of comission, so Stanley's dragons become visible again. Ansom is furious with Stanley...and look who just became unveiled.
    Last edited by Shadowdweller; 2008-03-25 at 10:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hurt my hip when i fell out of my chair. that was lovely
    this comic rocks!
    Memento mori

I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Impressive as it was seeing Parson make Ansom nearly impotent with rage, I doubt that was the point of the thinkagram. He's got something else going on. He just jumped on Ansom insisting on his title. "But I think titles are kinda lame, don't you." Feels more like he was just throwing it out there to see what would happen. He caught a whopper, though.

Funny thing about those of us with not the good social skills having nes, we have a knack for pissing people off really booping quickly. I assume Parson is in this group, considering his job, hobbies, Hamstard, and the lack of him worrying at any point whether or not he'll see anyone from the real world again.

Kudos to Jamie and Rob for being so very good at destroying all of our theories.

10. - Top - End - #40

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    Also, just a possible point here that hasn't been brought up, aside from the more obvious good points, but could parson also be trying to use the loyalty system a bit? By communicating Stanley as a Unit more highly favored by the titans, he might be twisting the mechanics of the system to lower the stats of those attacking stanley.

Just a thought since there was some experimentation with it.
    That's actually an interesting thought. Or maybe it's not that Parson is trying to actually twist the mechanics, but implying that such a thing may be possible would be enough to get under Ansom's skin.

This is just brilliant, though, regardless. As someone who's been on both sides of such a gambit in various roleplaying games, I loved this strip.
    "GMs wear many hats. They are referee, administrator, actor, author, and storyteller, and all of this without a paycheck. Anyone who doesn't appreciate what their GM does for them has no soul."
    --Anonymous, but appears in the L5R GM's Survival Guide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
    My suspicion is this: The goal isn't necessarily to make Ansom offend his allies (although I'm sure that would be a bonus), but to get Ansom unreasonably angry with Stanley. Meanwhile, the thinkamancer is sending all the strain of breaking the thinkagram to the foolamancer with which she was recently linked.
    I don't see it. Ansom is already unreasonably angry with Stanley, so this would serve little purpose in that regard. And Maggie can't be sending the strain of the Thinkagram to the Foolamancer because there is no link any more. Neither part makes sense.

End result: Foolamancer out of comission, so Stanley's dragons become visible again. Ansom is furious with Stanley...and look who just became unveiled.
    The Foolamancer is already out of commission for all practical purposes, and has been since the link was broken; the dwagons haven't been invisible, merely funny-looking. Ansom was already furious at Stanley; now he's furious at Parson.

12. - Top - End - #42

My suspicion is this: The goal isn't necessarily to make Ansom offend his allies (although I'm sure that would be a bonus)
    Parson had no way of knowing whether any of Ansom's allies would be around to witness his reaction, so any benefit from that part of it would be a bonus. He might guess that there's be some tension between Ansom and anybody who might try to talk him out of doing something stupid as a result of the goading, though.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember, his original plan was to contact all the leaders of the enemy side, so whatever he's doing with Ansom must be a stand-in for that. Driving wedges seems like a logical thing -- especially between Ansom and Charley, which would connect with what he was trying to do before. If Parson knows that Ansom has an arkentool and has failed to attune to it, I would expect him to bring that up, too... the fact that, out of the four known arkentools, two have attuned to non-royals while the third has refused to attune to Ansom at all has to be a sticking point for him.

The implication (people who attune to Arkentools are better and stand above royals) places a clear wedge between not only Ansom and Stanley (where it is hardly needed), but Ansom and anyone who has successfully attuned to an Arkentool.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-03-26 at 04:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the Marbits and Elves are going to jump ship, possibly Foxmud and Hobbittm will go too. Although I doubt Unaroyal or Sofa King will be overly offended. That leaves about 5700-6000 units on Ansom's side but Ansom should still have more than enough forces to take GK.

Jillian looked pretty shocked at Ansom, even Wienber was surprised it seemed. It appears Vinny realized Ansom's mistake already, and the generic mook seems surprised too. Regardless of what happens the fallout is sure to be fun.

Parson had no way of knowing whether any of Ansom's allies would be around to witness his reaction, so any benefit from that part of it would be a bonus. He might guess that there's be some tension between Ansom and anybody who might try to talk him out of doing something stupid as a result of the goading, though.
    Although they need to make plans, especially after the new info in the tunnels, so it is a reasonable guess that he probably wasn't alone.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If Parson knows that Ansom has an arkentool and has failed to attune to it
    "Ansom has one. It's not attuned to him and he doesn't know why."
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-03-25 at 11:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Now THAT, was awesome... or the psychological war is in full swing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB
    Actually, Parson could have been relying on Ansom being the type of Leader to stick by other warlords, especially when it's not their turn and they have time to plan their attack...

Afterall, Parson's plan with charlie was to break up the alliance, and i think it's safe to assume that charlie wasn't the only one he was trying to break off... Orginally, Parson was gonna contact each of the leaders, but found out that he could only make one call and that was it... it may have been possible that he was orginally gonna call each of the leaders and give him that royalty vs toolship speech to make them rethink their loyalties, but since he could only do it in one call, he had to trick Ansom into make himself look horrible...

granted though, it is equally likely he was gonna piss off each of the leaders to make them all act rashly, but then just choose to piss off the leader

First off, if Stanely croaks, Parson is croaked to, so having Ansom attack Stanely in full force would not help him...
    Second, Parson does not know whether or not Ansom has realized that Stanely has left Gobwinknob...
    third, the thinkamancer is no longer linked to the foolamancer and as such can not send the strain to him... Besides, the only strain she is feeling now is probably fatigue

17. - Top - End - #47

HalflingRangerGuy

Thumbs up Re: 101 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 91

"What did the five fingers say to the face?" .... "SLAP!" (As Rick James Slaps Charlie Murphy) That comment about Tool's attunment with the Arkenhammer was "Cold Blooded!"

Yep that alliance is going to be held together with twine from now on. Ansom's rant made the shoestring connections rip and now he'll be on the last little bit.

What is the object on the left of the last pannel with Tool and his foolmancer?

Another question, i doubt that the others can, not would it have really mattered, but could the others hear the think-o-gram?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Parson's Plan as I see it:

Contact Ansom and talk to him about royalty. Insult royalty so that Ansom's superiority complex (which has a superiority complex with a superiority complex with a superiority complex, etc.) shows itself and totally wigs out the people he's leading, dividing the coalition by turning them against their obviously corrupt, power-obsessed leader.

I mean, look! It totally worked on Vinny. And I'd be willing to bet Jillian has fallen totally out of love with him and is gonna ditch that *** next chance she gets. And Webinar and Dora are going to run off together, just you wait and see. Heck, maybe some of these people will even join up with Stanley and Parson!

Edit: Or at least Parson.
    Last edited by dragongirl13; 2008-03-25 at 11:50 PM.
    私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
    Watashi no hobakurafuto wa unagi ippai desu.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monan View Post
    What is the object on the left of the last pannel with Tool and his foolmancer?
    The failed veil made a giant clown out of the dwagon they were riding, and the black object is one eye of that clown.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

"Now it's personal" (kinda)

Excellently delivered. Both plot and fun. And I don't mind if it's just a little slap-stick. It's a good slap-stick.

Implication: Stanley it's your superior to royalty by divine call. But Stanley it's an idiot (it's for the reader, Parson doesn't know... well, actually...). So, royalty is inferior to the religious egomaniac idiot. And the smart commoner tricks both.

I'm sooo happy...

Laurentio

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

I must have missed something. What's up with the last panel? What does it have to do with anything else that's going on?

*totally confuzzled*

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by masonwheeler View Post
    I must have missed something. What's up with the last panel? What does it have to do with anything else that's going on?

*totally confuzzled*
    It's the delivery. After a pompous dialogue about royalty and personal value, Parson end a "Stanley is better than you" silogism. Only that... Stanley is a moronic hot-head, that try to kill the poor dude for being not useful (by Stanley's fault).
    Just figure Homer Simpson instead of Staley, and you will catch the humor intention. "Why you little...!"

Laurentio

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man... I am still snickering. Wonderful, wonderful update. Ansom's expression is beyond priceless, he even has a vein pulsing on his forehead the last time his face is shown.

Some comments: Parson is not merely playing the opponent, he is throwing in a dash of a completely alien attitude here. This is not merely the commoner rebelling against the Royal, but a child of the 21st century looking at a political system he considers centuries in its grave. A commoner that rebelled would to a degree at least be fearful of the wrath he was provoking. Parson is acting as if it not only doesn't matter, but as if it couldn't possibly matter. This will serve to enrage Ansom more than anything else.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Stanley could hear this, he'd probably even forgive Parson the earlier setback.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I've always wanted to hear someone say "Bide" in a form of media, and now that pleasure has been fulfilled! I'm so happy! X3

In other news: Cancel the dance, everyone, there's about to be a fight in the (metaphorical) parking lot. Even if the sword hilt had actually been a Wii-mote like we originally speculated, I don't think Parson could have pushed Ansom's buttons any harder. Couldn't happen to a better guy, I say. XDDD

And finally, even while being choked, the Foolamancer can rhyme. Wow. O_O;;;

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There's another side to this trick that I haven't seen mentioned. Now there is no doubt that Gobwin Knob has managed (beyond all reasonable explanation) to field itself a chief warlord who is not only competent for a change, but can actually play Ansom like a harp.

Suddenly, that whole Dwagon Doughnut incident makes sense, and there can be no question that not only was it intentional, but it demonstrates that Parson can think outside of tradition and knows exactly how to use Ansom's own strengths against him. Now the "Wow, I didn't think they would be stupid enough to fall for that, guess I'll have to reverse my plans" becomes "Oh, boop. He not only saw through it after all, but he's already turned it into a gambit of his own!" None of knowns can be trusted any more, and he is left sitting uncomfortably on a glass throne that's begun to crack.

While I severely doubt this put any distance between Ansom and Vinny, I think Vinny is clearly embarassed for Ansom's sake and can see plainly that Parson just scored major points. The non-Side allies, however, such as the elves and marbits, are going to be watching him like a hawk from now on.

Finally, a strip with a character who uses his head for something OTHER than a blunt object! It was so beautiful it made me shed a tear.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vinny: "Ansom! Obvious troll is Obvious!"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Calemyr: EXACTLY! They'll be forced to review their strategies, their decisions, even their leadership. A line like "convention dictates..." or "only a main garrison stack" COULD lead to disaster, if they act predictably.

I can almost SEE the next strip: One of the other Coalition leaders steps up to say, "EXCUSE me, your HIGHNESS, but we LOWLY COMMONERS would like to renegotiate our... relationship." Ansom either accuses them of being a traitor or appeals to their desire to wipe out Stanley, Vinny steps in and calms people down, meanwhile Stanley does whatever it is he's doing, Maggie picks her jaw off the floor in awe, Parson does the next part of his plan...
    Which is... what? Attack? Collapse the tunnels? Uses one of his StupidMeal toys in a cool way? Wanda wakes up??

Or possibly Charlie talks to someone for a strip. The Tardy Elves? The Hippies?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    Even if the sword hilt had actually been a Wii-mote like we originally speculated, I don't think Parson could have pushed Ansom's buttons any harder.
    Oh yes, the sword. Presumably the blade arrives at the start of the next turn and the thing's complete. And whether the thing turns out to be a kick-ass weapon that would make Wilkinson proud, or just a piece of plastic trash as others have speculated, it's fairly certain that it's going to look impressive, at least from a distance, especially considering it's Parson-sized.

Maybe it would be best if the sword turned out to be made of plastic, after all. I'm not sure Parson could convincingly swing a steel sword bigger than a rapier. Useless in a fight, but Parson would stand little chance in a fight anyway, and if his strategy is to bluff Ansom and smash the coalition through psychology…

“I want a big guy. Big, powerful, dashing, handsome, heroic… a guy who'll shock and awe them, just standing on the city walls, commanding the fight…” — Stanley.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Is it just me, or does Parson look like a badass towering over Ansom's image in the third panel? I wonder if Ansom can see their size difference over the thinkagram. One on one, it appears that Parson may be able to crush him like...well, like a grown man beating up a ten year old with toy pliers.