New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 101 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 91

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0079.html

That is why Parson's height doesn't matter. Why would the men who croaked 5 dwagons and two warlords in one turn care if the other warlord is twoll sized? Boop me in the boop, people. Parson being tall is irrelevant to what's going on. They might be aware of his height via the thinkagram. They might not. It doesn't matter. If anything, it would make Ansom and crew discount Parson as an intelligent foe. Twolls aren't all that smart, remember. Though they CAN count to three.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0010.html

I'm assuming that the guy in this comic is a twoll and not just some random race. Not sure how the number of eyes factors in.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekreeper View Post
    A battle of wits? Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
    And Parson is Italian, no? *facepalm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lamguin View Post
    I'm assuming that the guy in this comic is a twoll and not just some random race. Not sure how the number of eyes factors in.
    It does say in her report that she killed a twoll. Maybe Bog is unusual, and most twolls are not cycloptian. Which would indeed mean that peoples first impressions of Parson would be that he's an oddly colored, very hairy, verbose twoll.

I'd suspect they'd call Human-Twoll hybrid, except I'm not sure if the concept of hybrids exists in a world where people pop.
    Last edited by kagato23; 2008-04-02 at 06:32 PM.
    /co/ is love.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djharr View Post
    So, there are several ways this could go. Parson is obviously trying to get Ansom to lose his cool, having him do stupid things. I am undecided as to what I think he is exactly trying to accomplish, but it seems to me there are several possibilities.

1) Cause rifts in the coalition by having Ansom spout off about how great royalty in general, and he in particular, is, compared with the peons.

2) Goad Ansom into hasty, ill-conceived attacks, allowing Parson to hammer Ansom's forces through ambushes and such during Ansom's turn. Further, cause Ansom to end his turn with his forces in bad tactical positions, allowing Parson's newly healed forces to respond with a devastating counterattack on their turn using units heavily boosted by the presence of the Sizemore and (if she recovers in time) Wanda.

3) Cause fractures among the coalition once the non-Jetstone elements, particularly the Marbits and the Elves, suffer disproportionately heavy losses as a direct result of Ansom's hasty actions. Combined with his seeming casual disregard and near-contempt towards the non-Royals, this could cause enormous friction among the these erstwhile allies.

4) Further damage Ansom's standing by convincingly demonstrating that he, Parson, a commoner, is more than Ansom's match in terms of tactics and "moral fitness" to lead.

5) Cause doubts in Ansom himself by handing him a total defeat, again at the hands of a commoner.

David
    This also what I was thinking, but the main thing is to get Ansom running into those tunnels against Webinar's advice. Ansom is a Warlord, not a king, if he comes off as reckless with Jetstone forces he might get yanked from the battle. This would pretty much break the coalition by itself. Jetstone does not seem to have a stake in this fight by all accounts, but they are going after Stanley like he defiled their capital. If Webinar could be needled into giving a report to his King that Ansom is unstable and making bad decision with Jetston forces, while Ansom himself drives a wedge into the coalition just as a big defeat is weighing them down.
    Suffice it to say, they may decide Goblin's knob is not worth the hassel, as they are already pretty sure Stanley is not there.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

There is one wildcard in this whole thing, though. The one thought that keeps going through my head is that Parson is building up to some sort of mano-a-mano champion duel between Parson and Ansom. It really seems that the entire conversation is building up not only to have Ansom blow his cool, but to force him to demonstrate his superiority over Parson. I am not sure how Parson could structure that so that he would have a decent chance to win (like a previous poster, I am reminded of the duel of wits in the Princess Bride), but he may have some ideas. Maybe he is planning to steal the idea from the Princess Bride whole cloth? Not sure. Also, if there does come a one-on-one fight, I have to think that Parson's enormous advantage in height, weight and (presumably) strength would have to play some part. I doubt he is planning single combat, but you never know.
    I don't think Parson will win with out some sort of weapon earth design. Ansom is a high level warlord, so he probably has super strength of some sort (for his size). Plus he is someone who has prepared for combat so he is probably as strong a fairly strong human from our world. Plus he is probably far better at fighting than Parson, so he can probably beat Parson to death with that large, blunt metal object he carries around. So, baring getting shot or bombed, the worst thing that could happen to Ansom is he takes a couple of hits and bleeds out, or picks up some stray microorganism and dies, but he would still be able to kill Parson.

So I'm think the duel is a no go.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, but Ansom isn't really that big - in fact, he's much shorter than Parson and armed with a pair of pliers that take up most of the length of his thigh. Assuming that the pliers are normally sized for us, this gives him a height of a few feet, tops, whereas Parson is just huge by comparison.
    There was also a theory kicked around that Parson is outside of the normal combat mechanics, and treats things as though they happened in the real world; thus, the pliers wouldn't do much. Either way, in terms of size, the Arkenpliers are tiny compared to Parson - and without magic they probably won't hurt him too much.
    Haven't you ever seen where the big huge, slower guy just grabs the smaller faster guy and sits on him? Parson would probably crush Ansom if he did that.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Ansom isn't really that big
    Ansom, Jillian, Wanda and Sizemore are all about the same size, and Parson is about the size of Bogroll.
    Wanda is about half Parson's size, which makes her (and the other normal-sized erfworlders) about 1.00 - 1.20m

pliers that take up most of the length of his thigh. Assuming that the pliers are normally sized for us,
    this gives him a height of a few feet
    Magic items can be resized, and we have seen the pliers appear much larger when used to attack Manpower.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    There was also a theory kicked around that Parson is outside of the normal combat mechanics, and treats things as though they happened in the real world; thus, the pliers wouldn't do much. Either way, in terms of size, the Arkenpliers are tiny compared to Parson - and without magic they probably won't hurt him too much.
    Haven't you ever seen where the big huge, slower guy just grabs the smaller faster guy and sits on him? Parson would probably crush Ansom if he did that.
    Do you really think Parson is going to rely on theory? Particularly when it's his boop literally on the line? In a world where magic is real, and he knows jack about it?

No way.