New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Charmer (prestige class)

CHARMER
    Hit Die: d4.
    Requirements
    To qualify to become a charmer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Feats: Skill Focus (Diplomacy or Bluff), Skill Focus (any Perform).
    Skills: Bluff 4 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks, Perform (any) 8 ranks.
    Spells: Ability to cast charm person or charm animal and six other enchantment spells.
    Class Skills
    The charmer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animals (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Speak Language, Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
    All of the following are Class Features of the charmer prestige class.
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Charmers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
    Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new charmer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of charmer to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.
    Attractive (Ex): At 1st level a charmer gains an attractive bonus which increases as she advances in this prestige class. A charmer adds this bonus to all DCs of mind-affecting enchantments she uses, and to all Charisma-based ability and skill checks she uses against creatures which find her to be a possible sexual partner or mate or otherwise sensually appealing (usually only creatures of the same type and opposite sex).
    Inspiring aura (Su): At 2nd level a charmer grants all allies within 10 feet of her a +2 morale bonus to all attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. A charmer can activate this ability as a free action.
    Unearthly Grace (Su): At 4th level a charmer may reroll any Charisma-based ability or skill check once and take the higher result. She also adds her Charisma modifier as a luck bonus to all her saves. At 8th level she also adds this bonus to her armor class.
    Charming aura (Su): At 6th level all creatures within 30 feet of a charmer must make a Will save DC10 + charmer’s class level + charmer’s charisma modifier or become charmed by the charmer. This effect lasts as long as the creature remains within this radius and after they leave the radius for 1 minute per charmer level. Though this is always active, a creature can be affected by this ability only once every 24 hours regardless whether they pass or fail the save.
    Suggestive aura (Su): At 10th level any command or request a charmer gives is treated as if made through a suggestion spell requiring a Will save DC10 + charmer’s class level + charmer’s charisma modifier to resist. This affects only creatures within 30 feet of the charmer. If a creature targeted by this ability ever passes one of its Will saves, it becomes immune to this ability for 24 hours.
    Last edited by arkanis; 2008-03-26 at 11:02 PM.
    Everything is perspective. You can't excuse or ignore anything because of that.

My d20 Homebrews: Arkanis Compendiums

My Webcomic: GreyScaleMail.com

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Charmer (prestige class)

I like the idea of this, but I have to ask what the character gives up in exchange for the class features. Suppose a reasonably charismatic wizard qualified for the class. She would have all of her normal spell casting ability, some really nice class features, and all she would lose is some of her familiar's potency. Maybe is the spell-casting progression was lowered...
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I somewhat based it off the Loremaster prestige class as an example of "power".

The prerequisites are low because most spellcasting classes don't have these skills as class skills except for bards which have a slower spellcasting progression anyway. I could add feats like Negotiator or something charismatic to make it more restrictive.

I was a little worried about a Sorcerer who would benefit from this class most but couldn't think of a fair way to limit them more than any other spellcaster for a charmer concept.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Lol! "Magic Weilding Hooker"
    Tall Dark Strangers In Hooded Cloaks should be assumed to be Epic until proven Low Level.

Maybe there is an artifact: Cloak of Mighty Power

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I don't have the book with me at the moment, but isn't the loremaster a divine/arcane caster? If so, that means that means that the loremaster sacrifices a few levels of both divine and arcane power in exchange for more versatility. This class could potentially give you full spell-casting power and extra class features.

I suppose the skill requirements would help out, but I personally have never seen skills as a real selling point for most casters. And going back to INT based casters like the wizard, the high INT kind of softens up that drawback.

Sorcerers would probably be the most obvious choice for a class to go into this, but because they have a limit on how many spells they know, they'll at least be giving up something of their potential spellcasting power, and the entry requirements do a good job of forcing them to fit the flavor.

... that last sentence was long...

I hope I don't sound like I'm doing nothing but pointing out flaws here; I really do like this class.

Spoiler
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually Loremaster can be applied to either divine or arcane, but they aren't both. A wizard can go loremaster, a cleric can go loremaster, a bard can go loremaster, and anyone with some knowledge and spells can go loremaster. That drawback doesn't apply.

A wizard charmer or bard charmer or even a druid or cleric charmer seems perfectly balanced as is but a sorcerer/charmer doesn't.

Maybe I could put a feat requirement. Wizards get bonus feats and that would be the balance between the two arcanes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

And here I've been thinking lore masters were arcane/divine. Ya, more feat restrictions would make it harder for sorcerers to qualify.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you may have had Loremaster confused with Mystic Theurge, which IS the divine/arcane hybrid caster.