New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Serenity: Orca Intrepid

Leonardo

Leo struggles to stay asleep but the final yelp of the dog makes his spine quake. He gets up out of bed and grabs 2 knives from his case under his bed.

Uhg, I swear if that dogs not dead i'm doing it myself.

Leo staggers out of his bunk and goes to where he saw the dog earlier that night.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

Fr. Lyons is awoken from a dream of solid ground. He throws on his pistol holster and places his jacket over his pajamas and gun before heading down the the hold. Once he gets there he stands out of the way, not being crew and all, and tries not to get involved unless someone asks or tells him to.
    I roll 20s

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia Gagarin

After Yann left, Zinya spent the rest of the day doing "standard pilot stuff". She sat in the pilot's chair, reading books and star charts, and occasionally taking a little nap, while glancing every so often the instruments and screen. 99% of the time, a ship'll fly herself; a skilled pilot is necessary only for the brief periods of "Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die!" Thankfully, her first day aboard E.F.N.Y was devoid of such exciting events, though they did once come within 200,000 kilometers of a wandering asteroid - of which Zinya informed the Skipper with a smile, trying to earn her pay.

Somewhere around 11, Zinya began her evening exercises in the unusually spacious cockpit, and around ship's midnight she headed to shower and sleep. Despite being only half-unpacked, she felt no shyness about slumbering in an unfamiliar place, and was snoring within seconds of her head hitting the pillow.

When Achilles starts barking, she sleeps through it - military training teaches you to sleep through anything, and though Zinya was hardly infantry, shuttle bays can be as loud as you please. When the proximity alarm went off, however, she was up like and arrow, and racing through the hallways in just a rather skimpy tank-top and athletic shorts. Paying no mind to the show she may be giving and watchers, she runs on the quickest course to the cockpit, loudly cursing the distance as she goes along the catwalk. Once in the cockpit, she locks the door behind her and slams into the pilot's chair, scanning alertly. If it seems like she has a minute, she'll slip into the flight suit she's kept conveniently in the room; otherwise, she'll fly in just her skivvies.
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

A terrible night. That's all how she could describe it, was a terrible night. Despite the soft linens that she purchased, the bed was hardly was she was used to, and the cold metal of the ground felt like an unwelcome chill against the usual warmth she was used to. Her normal bed was wider, the lap of luxury seemed far away now. Even the gentle hum of machinery stirred her whenever she tried to get some sleep. For the first time, she seriously regretted this.

Then came the barking. Alyssa loved dogs, but this...this was crazy. She whimpered to herself, forcing a pillow over her head in a vain attempt to drown out the bark. Suddenly, the alarm went off, and her whimper became a slight cry of shock. "Oh, what now?" She got up, fumbling with her glasses as she moved to the common room. Wearing a white nightgown, she seemed out of place among the group. "What's the matter?" She asked whoever happened to be close by.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Michael O'Riley

Michael tries to sleep through the insistent barking, but the proximity alarm dashes any hope he has of getting a decent night's sleep. Quickly pulling on some cloths and grabbing his gun, he heads out into the hallway, seeing the captain taking off towards the cargo hold he runs after him.
    Last edited by Horace Smith; 2008-04-10 at 09:04 PM.
    Thinking is but an idle waste of thought, And nought is everything and everything is nought.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morrin rolls out of bed and sticks her head out of her dorm. "I'll be thank'n ye no' t' be crashin' us in the wee hours of the mornin'!" she calls loudly, in a sleepy, annoyed voice. She is immodestly dressed in nightgown that would probably be considered little more than a racy low-cut-minidress under other circumstances. She runs a hand through her hair and rubs her eyes before stepping fully into the corridor. "No killin' us till yae feed us some breakfast and a bit o' coffee at the verra least."
    Last edited by TheRiov; 2008-04-08 at 09:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Markus Durant

Markus slides down the ladder from his quarters, workboots hitting the floor with a thump. He lazily scans the crew, smirking at the barely-clothed masses, and finally slips the vicious-looking pistol he was holding back into his shoulder-holster.

"You lot never been woken up by the proximity alert before? Come on, less standing around and more action. Take a leaf out of Miss Gagarin's book; let's follow the captain and see what's got him worried."

Markus takes off down the corridor at a light jog, following the Captain but careful to look ahead in case anything poses a threat to his employer.
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

8. - Top - End - #68

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

Dr. Hargrave takes a deep breath, obvious apprehension on her face. Her eyes were very active, looking from left to right. Then, it dawned on her, and she sprinted to medical, grabbed her doctor's bag in case anyone was injured, and with great trepidation, went forward to follow Markus and the Captain. "Please be nothing, please be nothing, please be nothing." She repeated to herself over and over again.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Kelly Yann

Kelly sick of trying to ignore the proximity alert climbs out of his bunk, makes his way slowly down the ladder, looks about the lounge, scratches his lower back and says "Hmmm? There somthin' goin' on?"
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

10. - Top - End - #70

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

After the issue with Badger, the Reverend slowly sits back down and returns to his carving. But he casts a suspicious eye on the man's retreating back as he works.

The Gregory completely ignores the dog at first, having slept through much worse before. When the barking changes to a tone of alarm, he snaps awake, instinctively reaching for his chest to grab his cross and the side of the bed to grab his hatchet. The sound of feet moving past upstairs and the proximity alarm reinforce his worry, and muttering a prayer under his breath, he throws on his coat over his bare torso and moves out into the hallway, digging in a pocket for his eyepatch. The priest steps into line behind the doctor, grabbing her shoulder. Any idea what in blazes is goin' on to set off the dog and the proximity alert at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

The doctor jumps when the tall Reverend puts a hand on her shoulder, clearly on edge. "Gah!" she nearly trips and turns around wide-eyed in surprise. "D-Don't do that!" she tries to catch herself. "I don't know. The captain is finding out."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Natalie Crowe

OOG: Sorry for the lack of posting. Projects and tests abound the past week.

Before going to bed, Natalie makes sure to put a gun underneath her pillow, just like always. She has seen some interesting spots to say the least, and doesn't want to be caught in them again.

Upon hearing the sounds, Natalie is immediately woken by it. She doesn't think much of the dog barking other than wishing it would just shut up so she can sleep. After it does in two barks, she becomes slightly concerned, but doesn't think anything of it until the alarm goes off. She doesn't bother putting on any extra clothing on, but goes straight for her vest of guns, and puts the silencer on two of them, having them drawn (one of them being the gun that was under her pillow), before going down the ladder into the kitchen. Upon hearing Morrin's shout, she immediately, points one of the guns at her, and glances in that direction, doing her best to sweep the room with her other gun. She gives a quick glance at Morrin, and tries to get her to shut up, before continuing on. After a few other people arrive in the room, she heads towards the general direction where the barking came from and covers the doorway. "Room is clear, no clue what's going on in there though," she whispers to everyone. Before the captain runs off, she asks where he thinks the barking is coming from, causing her to go in a different route to get to the that location, doing her best to get there quickly yet in a similar amount of time as everyone else.

13. - Top - End - #73

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

Sorry. He seems rather sheepish, and looks down, finally fishing the eyepatch from his pocket and covering the empty socket. Well, we best follow just in case it's something nasty.
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

VI: That’s not good…

The Captain replies quickly to Natalie as he takes off: “Cargo bay, sounds like. Don’t everyone come running at once.” He quickly moves down the stairs towards the catwalk with Leo, O’Riley and Markus following. Dr. Hargrave follows close behind Zinovia as she goes for the cockpit with Delsp and Natalie in tow. Zinovia locks herself in as Dr. Hargrave grabs her medical bag. The doctor, reverend, and teen gunslinger take the forward stairs down towards the cargo hold. Morrin, Kelly, and Rose stay in the mess hall, waiting.

Cockpit
    Zinovia damn near falls over when she jumps into the pilot’s seat, quickly scanning the controls to see what’s inbound. The computer is picking up another vessel, smaller than E.F.N.Y. moving fast on an intercept course. As she begins to disable the autopilot and boot up auxiliary systems, the computer screens go white static and all the controls become completely non-responsive.

Cargo Hold
    Approaching from the fore and aft in your two groups, you all reach the cargo hold. The main group, with the captain, steps down onto the catwalk and stop. The captain motions to keep quiet and begins to start creeping towards the stairs to the floor. Those of you who come upon the bay from the foredeck move out of the door onto the upper catwalk and see a flashing red light coming from the larger cargo hold, near the connecting door. A hissing noise can be heard as well. As the other group approaches the middle of the main hold, you too hear the hissing and see a blinking red light coming from the section of the hold where Badger’s crate was stored. Unfortunately, due to the large piles of cargo, nobody has a clear view of what is going on.

Everyone
    The lump sum of you (save Zinovia) feel the engines power down and turn off, though you all reason that it is Zinovia bringing the ship to a halt. After a moment the ship’s lights cut out and the emergency lights snap on. Those in the cargo hold can see the flashing red light more clearly in the dim light. The Captain seems unswerved by these events and continues creeping forward, shotgun ready.

EDIT: Fr. Lyons is with the Captain's group, whoops
    Last edited by King Tius; 2008-04-10 at 11:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia Gagarin

As soon as Zinya gets in the seat and sees what's going on, as she switches off the autopilot, she announces over the comm, "Skipper, this is Gagarin. We've got someone on a tight intercept. Suggest you prepare to be boarded." It is then that the controls lock up. She tries the comm again, only to find that it's non-responsive; cursing, she sets to work trying to fix the controls.

Technical Engineering + Intelligence 1d4 + 1d8 = 6 (see below)
    Last edited by Minchandre; 2008-04-10 at 10:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

[OOC]Let's try that again[/OOC]

(1d4)[4] + (1d8)[2]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Kelly Yann

Kelly sleapily watches everyone run off and gets the hint, grabs both of his derringers and his glasses and heads right on back to the engine room. He takes a quick scan about just to make sure it all looks like he left it (which as of before take off was quite tidy as he'd finished checking the systems) and punches the comms after Zinovia's announcement just to tell her "Alright Zinya, I'm back here, just shout if yer needin' summut special."
    Unfortunatly the message is cut short by the power outage and Kelly's stood there swearing into the darkness for a couple of seconds before he pulls his glasses onto his face. "Effnie! Babe! Not now..." He exclaims as he takes a more thorough look at the works, "Yer were fine, who's been messin' with yer?"

Spoiler
    Show
    a power outage could be mech or tech so i'll roll for both, i want to spend a plot point but not sure how it works with 2 rolls (if i can do that, if not count it as one point each check and two rounds of checking?[checks tech first])
    i'll let you make the rolls on this, he's looking to find out whats wrong, spending two plot points
    Awesome avatar by Shades of Gray- check this out.

'Famous I don't know about. It's hard to be famous and alive. I just want to play music every day and hear someone say, 'Thanks, that was great, here's some money, same time tomorrow, okay?'- Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

Alex Lyons waits for to see what the fightin' types'll do. If it looks like they're taking cover, he follows suit. If they're getting ready for out and out combat he heads back up into the quarters to keep any of the not-so-fightin' types out of the way. He looks around to the group, Forgive me, but I don't know the first thing about naval combat. Are we being boarded? Will they come out swinging?
    I roll 20s

19. - Top - End - #79

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

"Everything will be ok, everything will be ok." She kept telling herself over and over again. Letting someone else take the lead, she stayed back with her medical bag trying to look and see if she sees anything at all. After all, someone could be hurt.

Since she had no weapons and no idea how to use them, she looked for a place to get out of the way if anything bad happened. Her hands were on her emergency signal ring. Even though they were not in the Core, still on the Border the Alliance would be able to respond, or so she hoped.

20. - Top - End - #80

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

Look's like I'll be earnin' my keep earlier than I expected.
    He sighs. No one ever needs a preacher. He steps forward, pulling his hatchet out. Cap'n, I've only got an axe, and if'n there's somethin' nasty in there that'll cause a bit of a mess...Well, we need you more'n you need me. Mind if I step first? He drops into a combat stance and moves forward towards the case, hatchet at the ready, at least so long as the captain doesn't stop him.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Rose Quentin

The Sergeant didn't feel a particular need to ask questions, but rather just parked herself on the catwalks overlooking the cargo bay, in a position to cover either entrance with her rife.

ooc - I again apologize for being so absent until now. I was sick, and then school decided to kick me in the nuts. Back for good.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Leonardo

Uhg, why did it get louder!? Shut the thing off will ya! Fine i'll do it myself.

Leo swiftly moves towards Badgers crate pushing everyone and everything out of the way.

Get out of my way, a man needs his sleep and i deserve that.
    Last edited by Dustfinger; 2008-04-12 at 09:44 AM.
    Here's a link to a homebrew of a Black Jewels Trilogy setting. It is in dire need of help, so if you have any ideas please stop by.

Here are characters I'm currently playing
    Aidan Gasteau

Here's the games I'm currently running
    A Shadow Falls
    Huge thanks to Caracol for my Maximus Centauri Avatar.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Natalie slowly moves as close to Badger's package as she can, without putting herself in an situation where she is totally out in the open. She keeps one of her pistols trained on wherever she is looking, and the other directed at the door. If she hears any sound of someone who is not part of the crew, then she stops and points her guns at that area, and then at the person(s) when they come into view.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

VII: Crew down, crew down!

Cockpit
    Zinovia goes about trying to repair the failing computer systems but is unable to do so. From her assessment the only way she knows that might get her back into the system would be to try and cold start all the computer systems. A total reboot would temporarily shut down all of the ship’s back up functions. A blinking light on E.F.N.Y.’s side control board signals to Zin that the ventilation system have been turned on full blast, though the air scrubbers are still out.

Engine Room
    Kelly runs a quick mental diagnostic of the engine and can’t find anything mechanically wrong with her. Whatever the problem is, it’s coming from the ships operational systems, not the engine itself. Kelly starts brainstorming options as the lights cut out. He could jury-rig the engine by disconnecting it from the computer systems, but that would remove throttle control from the cockpit. It would also take time.

Cargo Hold
    Dr. Hargrave and Fr. Lyons both step back from their groups to let the “fightin’ types” get in first. Rose takes post up on the catwalk to try and provide cover fire. The remaining members of the two groups move towards Badger’s crate. The Captain graciously lets Delsp move forward and take point as the sneak towards the crate. As it comes into view, you see that the case has popped open and that the red flashing light is emanating from inside. You see a thin white smoke shooting from the case that quickly becomes colorless in the air. The smoke seems to be coming from some sort of compressed canisters. Achilles lies next to the crate, breathing but unmoving. All of you who moved towards the crates feel suddenly light-headed and pass out almost immediately with barely enough time to support yourselves as you fall. The doctor, father, and rose see the groups collapse one after the other in rapid succession.

OOG: Those of you who are now incapacitated may post passing out actions if you want to. I will wait till enough of those conscious to have posted before I update again.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

25. - Top - End - #85

Devil

Dr. Hargrave

"Oh no!" Dr. Hargrave states, trying to get a better look at what actually happened. "That's some sort of agent!" Once that dawns on her, she quickly pulls her surgical mask out of her doctor's bag and slides it over her face and nose. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

Dr. Hargrave gets on the comm. "We've got a poison gas in the cargo hold. Crew down." If the Captain is still up, she asks him. "Captain, do we have hazmat suits? I want to recover those people ASAP."
    Last edited by Sicarius; 2008-04-13 at 11:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fr. Lyons

Fr. Lyons says to Dr. Hargrave hurriedly, "Give me your scissors or a scalpel or something. Now." Once he gets it he cuts the sleeve off of his jacket (a black, tight, polyester-like weave) and begins tying it about his face. "I'm going to try and drag them back. Here is what you need to do. Run upstairs, get on that crane and be ready to move it." He calls out to the ceiling of the hold, Yann, open the inner airlock door!" Fr. Lyons makes sure his makeshift mask is tight before he runs towards the box to drag back his comrades, lightest first.
    I roll 20s

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Zinovia Gagarin

After a few minutes' tinkering with the system, Zinya finds that they're locked tight. A good reboot would start 'em up again, maybe, but it's a little much to risk without direct orders. Still...There's someone out there. If I waste time asking for orders, we might all be screwed...crap, crap, crap crap crap! Her musings are interrupted when she notices the ventilation coming on to full. Huh? Why the hell would...gas!

Holding her breath, Zinya wriggles into her flight suit and resumes breathing only once the internal air supply has activated. Realizing that boarders are, at this point, a near certainty, she begins the main reboot sequence. She now has to make a decision: she can run back to her room and try to grab her guns, or she can stay where she is; after all, the door is locked tight and not much short of an arcwelder could get through. She has a duty to get ready to repel boarders, and to warn her crew mates, but a pilot's place is the cockpit. The urge to warn her crew is strong, but she figures that they ought to be noticing it anyway. Eventually, she reminds herself firmly that guns are for gropos and marines; pilots belong in the cockpit.

Reluctantly, she double checks the door lock before sitting back in the pilot's chair, rotating her attention between the "windscreen", the computer, and the door. As she listens to her breath resounding in her ears, she starts counting off powers of two in her head, a trick she once learned to help pass the time. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16...1024, 2048, 4096...

EDIT: 'cause the comm system is dead.
    Last edited by Minchandre; 2008-04-14 at 12:37 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Rev. Delsp

Oh hell.
    Gregory only manages to take two steps back before going down like a sack of bricks.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

As soon as the call on poison gas is made, Morrin draws a deep breath and holds it, making a break for the shuttles, taking advantage of her earlier tours of the ship to find her way quickly. Once there she'll attempt to seal the shuttle.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to point out that the comm systems are dead, so Dr. Hargrave's message would not go out. For future reference, please try and avoid making assumptions like that in questionable situations. If the ship were operating normally, then of course the comm system would be working. However, E.F.N.Y. is running on emergency lights only right now so it isn't such an easy assumption. Feel free to post a smaller "blank tries the comm system to see if she can deliver a message" post and I will respond as to whether it works or not before another big update. The pace of this game is slow enough and I check often enough that this shouldn't be a problem. Thanks guys!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing