New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Five Orders of Creation - Autumn - Chapter One

Today is the first day of autumn, of the thousandth year of the Third Dawning Era. The leaves have not turned yellow yet, and the air is still warm, but soon the trees will be bare and the chill will follow. Somehow, your paths have brought you to the small town of Jasmine's Dawn on the western reaches of the Great Empire. You are sitting in the Dragon's Landing teahouse, quite easily the largest structure in the town. The teahouse is quite crowded, despite the small population of Jasmine's Dawn. Idle chatter is made, drinks and food are being served and the pulse of the town is right here. You could almost see the strange figure that enters through the door, but the rest of the scene is too distracting. And of course, Jasmine's Dawn is not lacking in bullies and thugs, who also frequent the teahouse. It is early morning and this is where and when your legend starts.

What do you do?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Five Orders of Creation - Autumn - Chapter One

Jin

Sipping away at his wine, Jin throws around quick glances, keeping an eye out for any thief or thug that may try his chances. His eyes almost show an eagerness for such an attempt, that he may "retaliate" in full force.

The man is slightly taller than average and his hair seems to have been newly cut, though somewhat incompetently, resulting in a black mess. A large sword is strapped behind his back in an uncomfortable manner which is constantly prodding people passing by, but if anyone is feeling anything, they are probably keeping it at themselves.

He is probably too involved with what's around him to notice the figure entering the teahouse.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2008-03-30 at 10:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kalim

"That will be all for now, thank you..." As the waitress leaves his table, Kalim peers into his cup and lets the aroma get to him. With a fond sigh, he takes a drink as he lets the chatter of the teahouse sets the mood.

He sat alone at a table off to the side. A quick look would have marked him as tired and unassuming, at least until the short blade on his side was made out from under his fading, black overshirt. His face had a sort of well-traveled, but given the state of his hair, which was held back and fell in a single low ponytail with no attempt at order, and general worn nature of his clothing and pack, this was probably done through more economical means.

The night had been long and unfruitful. Either he was off his game or or the Heart didn't care for a place like Jasmine Dawn. Regardless, he was here now so he might as well enjoy it. Some habits become innate though. As he continues with his drink, he appraises the situation. It never hurts to be on your guard anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll take ten on a Sense Motive Check to get a hunch of the crowd. Should result in 20.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Liam

Liam arrives at the Drragon's Landing as he does on most days. After healing a relative of the owner the tea house became one of the cheapest places he could come for a bite too eat. He sits in a chair at the edge of the room and talks to the waitresses that walk by. He has become friends with many of them but has yet to feel any more comfortable when talking to females. Being raised in an all male monastary didn't allow him much practice at some of the more common skills of communication.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Angrui

Angrui sits at a table near the centre of the teahouse, a steaming mug of green tea resting on his small table and a light fried pastry in his hand. He relaxes, enjoying the early fall day and the many smells and sights of the restaurant. His bow and quiver are slung across the back of his chair and his back rests on the ground next to his seat. His head and face have gone just long enough without shaving that they're now soft instead of bristly. Good food, good tea, and nice weather all serve to make him calm and content, smiling happily at anyone who makes eye contact.
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-03-30 at 03:32 PM.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Kalim:

Spoiler
    Show
    You do not get any inherent feeling of wrongness from the general crowd, but the bullies do seem restless, eager to start a fight.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Miuki

Miuki sat alone in the corner of the tea house. A bit bitter. She let the tea steep too long. You'd think after she spilled the first pot she'd have been in more of a hurry to brew the second.

It was not that the serving girl was incompetent, but rather Miuki had been quite gruff with her since the moment she entered the teahouse. The girl was so terrified of Miuki that she clumsily fumbled the first pot, and was so scared to approach her again, that she waited far too long to bring her the second.

A few wisps of hair fell into her eyes. Miuki curled the corner of her lip upwards to blow it out of the way, but it just fell back across her brow. It did so again, and again. With a grunt of frustration, Miuki bunched up her hair and tightly tied it in place.

Since leaving her monastery Miuki could be angry with any one or any thing. She'd blame the sun for being too hot on a summer's day, then hold it equally to blame for hiding from the rain. The anger scrawled across her face made her appear older than a girl of fifteen.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex

Lex sits quietly in the corner, hood hiding his scarred face. If anyone were looking his way, all they would be able to see was a faint smile on his lips.

It has been too long since I have had some good tea. It is a bit cold though. Let's change that.

Lex puts his hand beneath the cup. The tea begins to dance in the cup, seemingly rejuvenated by the fresh heat. A smile forms again on Lex's lips. Lex begins to look around the teahouse, enjoying his tea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Miuki:

A few large men get up from their table and approach yours, all the time whispering amongst themselves and chuckling. The largest of them puts his hands on the table and wears a large grin on his face.

"Say, pretty girl. You look lonely over here. How 'bout I take you out to my house, and we... well, take care of it?"

His grin widens even more and it's obvious he doesn't talk about having a conversation. You also get a feeling that whatever he does, his "buddies" will join him.
    I use black for sarcasm.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katsuro

Off to the side of the teahouse, a small crowd of children and a few interested adults had gathered around a somewhat unkempt-looking man.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, long hair spilling out over his robes, his voice could could be heard rather easily from time to time as he began to get overly caught up in what he was doing before catching himself. Whatever he was doing, he obviously enjoyed it to a great extent.

Anyone inspecting closer would notice an alms bowl to his left, and two humanoid shapes, a foot and a half, maybe two feet tall, moving in front of him, made of pure stone.

"...but what will we do? cried Saya." He was saying, dramatic gestures with his hands causing the figures to move in an appropriately overdramatic fashion.

"If young brother is lost in the spirit's forest, what will we do?"

"'Fear not, Saya,' the herdsman exclaimed, 'I will find your brother!'

And so the herdsman set out. He was of poor birth, and did not have a horse of his own, so he rode towards the evil forest on the back of Sei-ba, his favorite cow." This garnered some snickers from the adults, as well as open laughter from the children.

Looking around the teahouse to see if he had disturbed anyone, Katsuro spied the men gathering around the woman in the back.

"Oh dear, that doesn't look good..." He thought, standing up and brushing himself off. "Excuse me, everyone, but we are going to have a short break for a few minutes. If you wish to get a cup of tea and relax, i will return shortly."

Trusting that no one would try to steal from a monk's alms bowl, he scooped up the puppets and placed them on his shoulders as he walked towards the table.

Placing a hand on larger man's shoulder, he smiled, "Excuse me, sir? I couldn't help but notice your friends and yourself here. If you don't mind me saying, fresh air is as key to a tea-drinking experience as the leaves themselves. If you wish to sit with the lady, might I recommend a table closer to a window?"

His words were perfectly present, although an astute listener might pick up on a little bit of mocking when he said "Fresh air." The puppets remained on his shoulders, tilting their heads and looking around at the other men, but he did not appear to be otherwise armed.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The man shrugs and gets your hand off his shoulder.

"This is between me and the lady here. Why don't you go back to whichever monastery spawned you and meditate s'more? Maybe it'll teach you to keep your nose out of others' business!"

He shoves you back - he is strong, and fast, but you have a pretty good feeling you could take him in a fight. His friends laugh at you, almost daring you to start something. Some of the other patrons leave the teahouse, and the others seem agitated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Sense Motive.
    I use black for sarcasm.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Jin

Capable of spotting aggressive potential from a mile away, Jin stands up and flexes his back in a haughty manner when he sees the men gathering about the girl's table. Putting on a relaxed pose, he passes through the leaving patrons, trying to reach the center of the action, but he is interrupted as a long-haired man with stone puppets over his shoulders get shoved into him. He tries to hold and stop him, and throws a glance at the larger man.

"Soo..." he pauses to look at the puppeteer, the men, and the girl. Flashing a toothy grin, he continues. "What do you fine people want?"

His grin doesn't fade away, and the keen glint in his eyes betrays his smiling face.

Spoiler
    Show
    If needed,
    Intimidate - (1d20+8)[9]

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Miuki

The girl almost laughs at the attempts of the puppeteer to difuse the situation. without a word, Miuki calmly stands. She hoped these rabble would just give up and go away once she dealt with their leader, but she was ready to take them all on if she had to.

"Well then?"

Without warning she thrusts the table forward with her foot, attempting to knock the leader off balance.

Spoiler
    Show

Combat Actions:
    Combat Expertise for 2.
    Unarmed Improved Trip attack. (The table is just for flavor.)

If the leader is tripped, she will follow up with an unarmed strike.

The edge of the table catches the leader squarely in the knee and he is unable to stop himself from falling forward. Just as his jaw is about to smack into the table, Miuki plants her lead foot and swings her back leg around underneath. With a solid kick, she attempts to punt the table into the ruffian's face.

Spoiler
    Show

Follow-up Attack:
    Unarmed Strike vs. prone opponent for non-lethal damage.

EDIT: Declaring my dodge bonus against the leader and the nearest henchman.

(OOC: I'm not sure how you wanted combat actions described. I didn't add any dice rolls, just descriptions of the actions.)
    Last edited by Son_of_Meepo; 2008-04-02 at 12:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: You can describe your actions as you want in combat, but only against mooks. Against real opponents, we roll dice.))

The leader falls on his back from the force of the assault, and the rest of the pack is intimidated... sort of. Their fear, however, is tempered by their pride, and feeling they can take a lonely girl all by themselves, they lunge forward.

A few more customers leave, but some feel angry at this assault by a stranger against their own townsfolk and prepare to join the fray.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2008-04-02 at 01:21 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

15. - Top - End - #15

Agrui

As the monk approaches the bullies, Agrui calmly sets down his pastry and rotates his chair so that its back is to his right side. As the monk is shoved aside, Angrui takes his bow and places it on his lap, calmly watching the scene. As people start running past him, leaving the teahouse, and the girl floors the bully with the table, he casually draws an arrow and readies his bow. Finally, as the townspeople started moving to join the fray, he stands and levels his bow across the room, panning from left to right. "Let's not start the day off with a fight, people. I would really rather that this day end as well as it was going just minutes ago," says Angrui, clearly not threatening or trying to intimidate, merely stating that he would start shooting people if the fight did not end immediately. "Please."

Spoiler
    Show
    Angrui is readying an action to shoot the next person who attacks anyone. On the off chance that anyone has the bad judgement to attack anyone while under his bead:
    Attack - (1d20+10)[24]
    Confirmation - (1d20+10)[20]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[5]
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Who are you to tell us what to do, stranger?" asks someone in the crowd. "If someone attacks our townsfolk, it is our duty to protect them." A few voices in the crowd join his in agreement, but it is evident that most people would just prefer the fight to stop.
    I use black for sarcasm.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Liam

Liam sees the small quarrel escalate quickly into something more dangerous. He runs through his head everything he could do to diffuse the situation, but instead of acting he stays rooted in his chair. While he doesn't want to see anyone get to hurt, he still has never found the confidence to take control of this kind of situation. He reasures himself a little with the knowledge that if anyone is injured he will do all he can to help heal them.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Jin

As the girl calmly stands up and starts shockingly to beat the larger man, Jin realizes the cue has been given, and he does the first thing he thinks at the moment: grab one of the pack as they charge towards the girl by the neck, and sling his fist right on the right ear of the surprised man.

The man stumbles forward with the force of the blow, and Jin turns back to face anyone from the angry crowd, but he freezes as one man pulls out a bow apparently to "pacify" them.

What the hell?! he thinks, furious. And we were just getting started!..

He redirects his anger to the wise guy in the crowd instead, talking about duty like he knows anything about it.

"Keep your "townsfolk", then, in order, because if picking on lone young woman is a regular thing in your town, it seems that things have changed way too much around here."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2008-04-02 at 04:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kalim

Wincing as the mood comes crashing down, Kalim finishes the last of his tea in a large gulp and stands up. He could see the brawl forming as the large man and the perfomer went to the girl and the men. The first punch was quite a surprise though, and it looked familiar enough for him to truly appreciate it. He puts the cup down and makes a motion towards the group as the thugs lunge forward, but is comes to a halt as a more educated man tries to bring it to a pause.

No complaints there, smiling, he raises his cup to the man and starts sitting back down.

He starts sitting back down, but the large man´s words were like nails on a chalkboard in his mind. A distinction had been made, and his status as a foreigner left him out of the "townsfolk" group. With a sigh, he finally drops his bill inside the empty cup and braces himself for what´s to come.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex

Man! Right when I was really starting to enjoy my tea! This is just like that bar incident. This time I'm not going to get out of control. You are a stronger person now. You know how to control your abilities now.

Lex stands up from his table and begins to draw in heat from his surroundings, mainly the bullies who are picking on the outsiders. As he draws heat from them, he manipulates the heat into a ball of fire right in front of the townsfolk.

"I am going to need you to stop this nonsense before this escalates too much."

At this Lex draws heat from the tea around him and the fire instantly becomes larger and brighter.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If I read the play with fire correctly, I can easily do this.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"OK, fine." says one of the thugs, and motions for the rest to stop. Then just when things are about to get to normal, he jabs towards Katsuro, and the rest attack whomever is close. Apparently, these guys are not going to stop without getting beaten - or beating someone up themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: OK, roll init... I mean describe your actions.))
    I use black for sarcasm.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katsuro

Pointing his finger skyward in an 'ah-ha' gesture, Katsuro smiled. "Well! Looks like you didn't need help after all!" The puppets on his shoulders nodded their agreement.

He watched casually as the others began to make their threats, "Come now, is there really any need for all this?"

OK, fine." says one of the thugs, and motions for the rest to stop. Then just when things are about to get to normal, he jabs towards Katsuro, and the rest attack whomever is close. Apparently, these guys are not going to stop without getting beaten - or beating someone up themselves.
    Tilting his head out of the way of the jab, Katsuro blinks. "Oh dear..." As the man's momentum carried him past Katsuro, he shifted his weight slightly, moving his foot to trip the man without hurting him.

"You should really be more careful," He said, pleasant smile never leaving his face. "Someone might spill their tea, and that's not really fair to the poor girl steeping it, is it?"
    Last edited by Sornas; 2008-04-03 at 10:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex

Lex stands back in awe at the stupidity of the townsfolk.

Who would want to test the might of a mighty firebender? Are these people so dense that they don't realize I could destroy this entire place? Not that I would again, but still they should be horrified of my abilities!

Lex stays where he is at away from the combat and waits for one of the townsfolk to try and engage him in combat. He is very interested to see what these outsiders can do in battle.

24. - Top - End - #24

Angrui

As the thugs move to attack again, Angrui starts firing off shots from his bow, trying to aim at non-vital areas such as the legs and feet. If anyone tries to move close and stop him, he cracks them in the head with the pommel of his shortsword or shoots them in the feet before they can get close enough to do anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aiming only at aggressors, trying to disable the thugs without doing them any permanent damage. Fires off the arrows as quickly as possible within reason, making sure not to fire so quickly that he might accidentally hit them in the vitals. Uses the shortsword to deal nonlethal damage to anyone who moves close in order to attack him.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Jin

Jin pauses for a moment when the thug dashes to the puppeteer, but recovers himself and jumps in the middle of the remaining thugs, delivering and receiving blows. A whizzing arrow catches his attention, and he turns to see an archer, shooting arrows at the legs and such.

What is this? Don't these people know how a brawl goes?

He shouts to the archer with crossed brows, "Hey, you there! Stop with the arrows alrea-" but is interrupted by an opportunist blow right to his ribs. He shakes off the pain quite easily though, to the surprise of the attacker, and headbutts the assailant rather fiercely. While the man tries to recover himself, Jin grabs another attacker by the arm and shoves him directly to the first one, resulting in a tripping and falling heap of men. He then looks around to face any new threats.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the folks are scared at the skill displayed by these relative strangers, but a good number still remain, probably due to foolish pride. Or just plain foolishness.
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Kalim

Sticking a foot out to trip a thug as he rushed to the large mercenary type, Kalim couldn't help but enjoy himself. There was something about the atmosphere, the general "friendliness" of the affair. Ok, not friendliness, but its much more relaxed then the usual Heart members, no cold emotionless stares as bladed weapons reach for fle--

The blow to the side of his face brought him screeching back. He stumbled, almost landing on the floor if his table hadn't propped him up. "Ugh..." Before he can even refocus his vision, the man who'd been on the floor only a few seconds ago was looming over him, his hands around his shirts neck. A sudden CRACK fills his ears as the world moves violently. He doesn't recognize it as his own head hitting the table until the second, maybe third time. Awareness failing him, instinct takes over.

With a lightning quick motion he slips out of the man's reach. He gives his assailant a cold emotionless stare as he adopts a very precise stance. His right arm becomes a blur that only reforms once it's deep into the man's throat and applying pressure. He feels the wrapping under his right arm tighten.

His expression suddenly becoming much more flustered, he lets go of the man, who thanks him in a strange tongue, consisting mostly of panicked coughing. "Sorry I-" The ache building in the back of his head told him this wasn't the time for formalities. The best apology he could give the man would be to take him out of the fight and give him time to recover. Leading with his left, he takes the man by the collar and quickly brings him over his head before leaving him back on the ground.

While the dust settled, he decides to tip his chair over him as a finishing touch. He left the coughing (albeit, not as violently anymore) man on the floor and made his way to the other side of the tea house, throwing a few light jabs here and there, but mostly dodging. He hoped the manager would throw them out before the man under the chair got back up.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2008-04-03 at 07:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Lex

Ah! It seems as if these outsiders fight with both passion and intelligence. They are holding back a little. Maybe I should join in on the fun. It could be like my old military days.

Lex leaps into the air with a fiery burst and lands a solid foot across the temple of one of the townsfolk. He lands gracefully on his right foot and twirls around to stand in a crouched position, fire leaking from his hands.

The men in the bar seem to caught up in the fighting to really be afraid of Lex's fire. Lex forces his hands forward towards a group of men approaching him rapidly. Without warning a small explosion erupts in the lead man's chest, throwing him back several feet into the other men. A swift smile comes across Lex's face as he feels invigorated for the first time since his training with Master Ling.

Lex drops into a stance and begins to twirl his foot around in a circle. Fire dances around his foot and begins to grow in size and intensity. "Do you gentlemen want anymore?"

29. - Top - End - #29

Angrui

Finding that the teahouse grew too chaotic for him to let off more than two arrows without fearing that he would serious hurt anyone, Angrui puts his bow and quiver back on his back. Picks up his bag, he starts beating his way to the door, either shoving aside or braining anyone in his way with his bag and sheathed sword.

When he's barely halfway to the door, however, someone wielding a chair lands a cheap shot in the back of his head and knocking him to the floor. As Angrui moves to stand up, the man hits him again with the chair, this time in his side, sending him sprawling.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

At this point, nearly everyone left in the town is ready to fight, not more than two dozen people - except for one man who hasn't moved an inch since the fight started. He stares at you intently, as if waiting for you to do something, but you're not sure what. Also, some of the townsfolk started fighting amongst themselves. Apparently some thought the bullies' actions were not justified. You can also hear the owner of the teahouse complaining about the mess the fight has done.
    I use black for sarcasm.