New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Bloody Pirates! IC

Gil

Gil leans against a tree focusing on the conversation taking place. Removing his left boot he dumps out the remaining bits of sand; he kneels down to put it back on before fitting the kukri back around the strap. Wiping the dust from his hands he walks back to the crew, "While I agree that we should attack them together, I think it may be best to do it under the cover of night. I don't know too much about Kobolds; however, I do know it's easier to make the size of our troupe appear larger in the moonlight. Also, nothing hurts worse than the element of surprise. It may be too hard to attack in the light. Plus, we don't know how long they will make this island their port. I say we get the ship tonight, find out what supplies we will need on board, then prepare ourselves for the venture home."

Feeling a bit foolish on his opinion, Gil returns to leaning on a tree and crossing his arms across his chest. Either I'll have all their support... or I may be deserted on this island come morning...

He gives a quick look to Simone, "By the way, can I get that rapier back now. It'd be a bit more comforting to have a larger weapon at my side."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Simone

Simone sits on the beach near the others, once again wearing the rest of his clothes and his boots. After putting the hammer on his pistol back down he put it back in his boot and unbuckled the rapier he had borrowed. "Thank you" he says as he passes it back to its owner, "I was glad to have it. If you see something I could swing like a club, please shout up."

"It's pretty clear that we need to attack those kobolds, we need that boat. All im thinking though, can we actually beat them? There were a lot and unlike us they were actually armed pretty well. I'm not saying we shouldn't fight them, I just think we should sort out some form of plan before we do. I do agree with fighting them tonight though, the darkness should hopefully help us."
    Last edited by Serje; 2008-04-08 at 03:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Theodore

Theodore sits with the group and thoroughly inspects his singular pistol. He checks the lock and trigger for rust. With a bit of his shirt and a stick, he cleans the barrel as best he can. He looks up for a moment as the conversation turns toward the koblods.

I would say we targeting the ship is a good idea. If the majority have gone to shore, we might stand a chance of overpowering the few remaining guards. If we do things right, we might be able to cast off before the kobolds know what is going on. I would like to know why they are here though...

As he trails off, he returns to cleaning his weapon.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

It is now very dark and you are all quite tired. Hunting kobolds right now may not be the best of ideas for the moment.
    The jungle seems to come alive with noise, mostly insects, but you swear you can detect the sounds of something larger stalking through the trees, shuffling past the undergrowth. The sound soon tapers off though. Whatever it was, it is gone now.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gil leans against the tree, his bowed down, a slight snore is heard from his mouth and he darts back to attention. He looks around to see if anyone noticed the approaches them again, "On second thought, I'm feeling a little exhausted. We've been out in the scorching sun today for several hours. We've yet to find a proper water source and, honestly, considering what we've recently gone through. A nice meal to restore our energy, a quick amount of rest, and then we should suffer the Kobolds. Now, what is there to eat around here?"

He begins looking about the trees for fruit, then he hears the loud noise from the forest and jumps back from the tree line, "What the bloody hell was that!?"

6. - Top - End - #36

Simone

"I gotta say Gil, I agree with you. I don't think any of us are in a good enough state to fight these kobolds. We should get at least a little rest before we do anything about this little situation... What do we got to eat around here? An' what're these ruins we're camping in? I've never seen anythin' like them."

At the sound of the large animal and Gil's outburst Simone quickly leaps to his feet and readies his pistol to fire. He keeps it pointing ahead of him as he stares into the darkness, trying to pinpoint where the sound came from. As it tapers off he relaxes a little and lowers his pistol, keeping the hammer pulled back however. "Well it's gone at least. We'd just better hope it doesn't come back..."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

The night passes unevenfully. You keep your regular watches, allowing the spellcasters to get their full nights rest. And despite the occasional rustle in the brush and the constant calls of the insects, nothing significant occurs.

However, in the very early morning hours just as the sun begins to rise you hear a sharp yapping howl that is quickly silenced. The howl came from the North of you, and was relatively close.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Max

“Well gentlemen, seems we have a problem.” max says as he readies his things. “Now that we are all secure, lets procure some transportation.”
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

9. - Top - End - #39

Simone

The half-elf's ears prick up at the sound of the howl, and then the lack of it. His mind begins to think of all the possibilities; it could have just been a predator catching its breakfast, but what if it was a kobold hunting party sent to search for food. He didn't like the latter possibility, with the relative closeness to them he'd much rather it be something not armed with weaponry better than their own. He didn't like the idea of it being a predator either, but that was, hopefully, the lesser of the two evils.

"So what's the plan then? Are we going to go at those kobolds now, before they get a chance to leave? I'm open to any suggestions on how we should proceed, and if anyone has a clue what kind of animal that was, I'd like to know..."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Theodore

The night's sleep was a bit fitful, not for the noise, but for the lack thereof. Theodore had grown quite accostomed to the creaking and groaning of a ship at sea, and his body had difficulty adjusting to a bed that did not move. Still, his weariness allowed him to gain enough rest to take his watch and rise with the group in the morning.

At the strange howls and yappings, he loads and readies his pistol. Turning to Simone he speaks in a calm tone.

Sounds like the kind of animal you can shoot. We'll avoid it if we can, but our main priority is the ship.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gil

Gil comes from a hidden part behind a few trees tightening the belt around his pants. He gives everyone a warning, "I'd stay clear of those bushes if I were..." his voice is cut off by the sharp howl. His eyes dart to the northern edge where it came from, he remains silent, eyes fixed to the trees. After Simone and Theodore speak, he gives his own thoughts, "I'm not sure what kind of animal it was... to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I want to know. We need to get moving soon before the Kobolds have a chance to break shore. As much as I love this island, I'd feel much more comfortable on a ship... even if it is a Kobold vessel."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trueno

Waking up from a long, deep sleep, Trueno yawns loudly. "Excuse me, friends. I did not realize how tired I was from our excitement yesterday. Thank Procan for safety through the night." He then turns and goes through his daily meditation to the Lord of Storms.

Once done, Trueno turns back and pulls out the sea damaged food and an empty waterskin. Bowing his head, he prays, "O great and powerful Procan, we are thankful of your protection through the night. We now ask you for your help with the needs of the flesh. Grant us strength through this food and give us decent drink that will not hinder our actions. May the storms of our lives be in Your control. Amen."

Like the day before, the crested wave around Trueno necks glows. But this time there were two distinct flashes of power that drift to toward the objects. One touches the bread and cheese which make them fresh and decent to eat; the other touches the waterskin which swells from the power. Trueno passes the the bread, cheese, and waterskin around the group. After taking his share of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trueno uses Purify Food and Drink and Create Water.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC -- Sorry for the disappearance. However there was warning in my sig that I would be unable to post. It took longer than I thought though.
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Max

“Thank you friend” Max pleasantly offers as Trueno’s bounty makes its rounds. “But all this aside we really must make haste, I’m ready to move”

He fidgets constantly, occasionally stealing glances into his book. I would appear the night has taken a toll on the calm he had exhibited the day before.

“Anyone dealt with kobolds before? We should speak of a strategy as we move to spy their ship”

Before they depart Max steals to the back of the crowd and removes his bat from a special perch on the inside of his jacket. Max is aware the tiny creature can’t perceive his meaning, but he speaks hoping his sentiment will be enough “Bit, stay close and out of sight, if you spot trouble come and find me…I would not ask you to fly in daylight but we are in need of you, I apologize” with a gently lift he send the bat flying, and returns to his companions.
    and we all die alone

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trueno

"You are welcome my friend." Turning away from Max, Trueno asks "What noise are you talking about? Was I really that tired that I did not notice it?" He then listens to the descriptions of the howl from his comrades. "That sounds very interesting." He then ponders for a little bit if he can recall any knowledge of a creature making that sound. If he does remember, he relates the information to his companions.

"Now I have not been in many fights. And certainly few with kobolds. However, if we follow Procan and He grants us His protection, we should be able to win. During my daily devotion to Him, I was given the spell camoflouge spell. That might have been Procan's push for us to take a similar approach."

Spoiler
    Show
    Checks for the noise
    Knowledge (religion) (1d20+5)[15]
    Knowledge (nature) (1d20+3)[10]
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

15. - Top - End - #45

Simone

"Thank you kindly friend" Simone says, a smile on his face, as the food and drink was passed his way. "I'm ready to move too, the sooner we get going, the sooner we get off this island."

He stands from his sitting position and stretches out his body, his stance giving away his eagerness to get moving. "I've found the best way to fight kobolds, is just like fighting anything else. Shoot before they do and aim better than they can."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

You all cautiously approach the direction where the howl came from. It isn't long before you find the body of a kobold pirate lying in the thick underbrush. His body is twisted in several unnatural positions and large chunks of its flesh are torn away.

It is still in possession of its arms, a small short sword and small flintlock pistol. A small pouch with nine balls inside and a powder horn adorn its belt.
    A small trail of pressed down brush leads away from the body, along with a line of more blood. It appears that someone was dragged away from this site, to the West.
    The kobolds seem to have come from the North, judging from the cut-away brush in that direction. Though it is day, the thick canopy above makes it quite dark at this location.

Trueno

Spoiler
    Show
    Judging by the marks and the manner of the kobolds death, and the unmistakable scent of death and disease in the air, you believe this to be the work of ghouls...
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-04-23 at 07:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Simone

"Now that ain't a nice way to die from the looks of things. It might be one less kobold for us to fight, but what killed it? Looking at this mangled thing, I'd much rather have fought it than whatever killed it... He steals his eyes away from the gruesome sight and stares at the trail of blood, "does anyone fancy following that?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trueno

"Ghouls." answers Trueno in a sobered voice. "Dear Procan. No one deserves that." Turning away Trueno continues, "We need to burn the body. Just in case..." His voice trails off. He goes not want to think any more about it.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gil looks at the body and trail of blood. His right hand reaches to his rapier, "I'm not sure if we have much of a choice. If he kept a Kobold alive it must've been for a reason. Although, I don't know much of these ghouls... I know I don't fancy getting close to one," he glances down, realizing he is already gripping his rapier, "...yet I don't think I'm left with much of a choice."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

You all hear more howling, a bit farther off this time but from more than one source now. It is followed by the familiar sound of gunfire and battle. You hear the kobolds yapping, almost in panic.

To anyone whose character knows Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The kobolds are basically yelling things like "What the hell are those things?" And "shoot them! Shoot them!" and also "There are too many of them, we need to get back to the ship!"

21. - Top - End - #51

Simone

"Well what've we got here..." Simone says in a voice about as loud as a mutter as he hears the conflict. "Sounds to me that those kobolds are in trouble, but thats all I can tell, anyone understand what theyre yapping about? Whatever it is we should go check things out, could be the opportunity we're after to grab that boat from under them."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Max

As the sound of the yapping passes over them, Max mouths back the syllables silently trying to decode them. A look of surprise crosses his face before he speaks.

“They are being attacked, and overrun by the ghouls! They are going to retreat; we need to head them off now!”

Before he can gage the response Max departs swiftly in the direction of the sounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    ready to cast shield at the first indication of trouble
    Last edited by Job; 2008-05-06 at 09:02 PM.
    and we all die alone

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trueno

Scared by the sudden sounds of battle, Trueno jumps and looks away from the corpse. "Dear Procan. There are more than I could have thought." Shaking his head as if it helps to clear it, he continues, "Come on men. It is time we face this storm." Trueno starts to follow Max into the woods. While he is running, he begin to pull his holy symbol from his neck but pauses. He turns his backpack around and checks the front pocket. "It survived. I almost forgot about this." Trueno pulls a flask that glows from within and puts it his pocket. The crested wave starts to glow as if it too is preparing for a battle. Trueno seems excited and nervous of the coming fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready to cast Magic Weapon on the trident.

24. - Top - End - #54

Simone

"They're retreating?! Damn it!" Before following he quickly scoops up the kobolds equipment; slinging its belt over one of his shoulders as a makeshift and rather clunky bandoleer. Ensuring that the newfound pistol and dagger were securely fastened to himself Simone runs after the other two as they head towards the conflict, pulling back the hammer on his pistol as they do so, ready to fire the minute they see the kobolds.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Gil

"Retreating!? Damn... at least we have a speed advantage." Gil decides to take the rear of the group, opting to do what little he can to advancing Kobolds. His rapier readied, he draws the kukri from his boot and follows the other crew.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+1)[13]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[10]
    Last edited by Boggs; 2008-05-17 at 05:41 AM.