New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swordslinger

1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Swordslinger

Claw and Ghost

Claw turns when he sees Elia coming out the door towards him. He keeps walking but answers her question in Rouisi, "I am Big Bear's Claw, I speak like the People." But then he smiles suddenly, almost bashfully, "But I also speak like you." Pointing to Ghost he introduces the dog, "This is Big Bear's Ghost, he speaks only Nobb."

"You are the one the men do not value." He stops and turns to face Elia, touching his heart, "If you are the crow spirit, I am happy to walk with you. If you are not, I think I still am happy to walk with you."
    "It's a trick. Get an axe."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

The Constabulary

Lirg looks to Fallsey, who is once again ignoring you, before answering.

"They're erratic, but we've been taking about two raids each week lately."

Outside

The streets are even emptier than when you first entered. All the business that was being taken care of in the morning is concluding, one last cart is packing up and wheeling back towards its home. The sun is rising further, and it is starting to warm up, and many of the shopkeepers have retired to the cool of their establishments.

The Shining star is about halfway between the constabulary and the edge of town, but is easy to spot. The hitching rail surrounds it on two sides as it sits on a street corner, and there is a shingle nailed above the door with a silver five-pointed star painted on it. The building itself is a single story of unpainted wood with a shingle roof and only a few small windows. A fair number of horses and carts wait outside, and the sound of music wafts from within.

The Shining Star

Inside the tavern is dimly lit with light from the outside. There is a large fireplace in the back, but it lies dormant. The front room is large and square and scattered with round and square tables. In the back a bar covers left half of the wall and a door behind it leads, presumably, to the kitchens. In the back right corner, a staircase leads down.

A dozen or so men and women populate the bar, most of them gathered at the bar nursing drinks, but a group of four are gathered at one table where a man in a black leather vest and white sleeves is playing his instrument. He plays an old tune that you recognize, a favorite among people in the marches for its catchy melody.

As you enter, half the patrons look to see who has just come in, and half of those may give the pair of a wild man and a lady a dirty look, but just as soon they all return their attention back to their drinks.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elia

"It's nice to meet you, Big Bear's Claw," says Elia, smiling. "And the reason that they do not value me is because of appearance. Things are, of course, rarely how they appear."

She then leans over slightly to look at Ghost and says in Nobb:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It's nice to meet you as well, Big Bear's Ghost."

Standing straight again, Elia continues in Rouisi, "We should wait for the others when we reach the tavern. It would be bad to get too far ahead of them while they are still just preparing preparing."
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Penn (at Constabulary)

The merry-go-round of ignored questions and tell-your-friend comments was making Penn's head spin. It was at least clear to him that the Constable wouldn't be giving any advances on their wage. He wished he'd stepped out with the other two: attitudes towards women in the company of seemingly native men varied.

"I suggest we gather us at the Shining Star and ask if they have a backroom, for planning. But there is a question I have. Are the boys just thieves, or killers also?"
    Last edited by Selv; 2008-04-13 at 05:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Claw and Ghost

Claw told Ghost to wait outside again, people in these human settlements always seemed aggravated when Ghost went into their walled spaces. Claw agreed with Elia's suggestion, but added "With two voices, we are curious, with five, we are dangerous. We will be curious first, dangerous second." His voice made the last part sound like a statement, but his eyes added a silent question mark.

Once they entered the tavern, he gestured over to the bar, "I do not drink the storm water, but if you like, I will sit with you."

6. - Top - End - #36

Elia

"I would rather not drink either," says Elia, looking around at the stares that they're getting. "But yes, we do seem to be quite the curiosity to these people. Let's ask the bartender who of the patrons the caravaneers are."

She then walks to the bar and asks, fairly certain that she still has the bartenders attention, "Do you know which of the patrons will be part of the next outgoing caravan? We've been hired by the constabulary as guards."

And bounty hunters, she things to herself.
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-04-13 at 05:05 PM.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc regarded both the answer and his hasty companions with a growl. He looked at the richy with a raised brow. Then he gave a reply before the hob could:

"It doesn't matter if they're killers or thieves there are more of them then us so they won't come quiet. If you hold back during the fight then some of us will die, and it damn sure won't be me."

Murdoc pasued to consider the door before growling again, "We might as well get going before the girl gets laughed out of the tavern." He then strode over to and out of the door.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Rina

"This bores me to tears." She replies flatly. "We should be interviewing the people from the farm, and trying to track them from their last attack." But seeing as three of the five had left, there was little point in arguing.

Rina strides out and leisurely makes her way to the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The Shining Star

A handful of patrons take notice of Elia's question, glancing up from their drinks and eying her questioningly. The Bartender has come over as the pair approach the bar, and is busily drying mugs as he speaks.

"Next caravan? Not sure what you're talking about. We han't been in trade for the past few days, after what happened to the last ones. Constable hired you on as guards you say?" He eyes Elia, then turns to look at claw, giving him a much more dubious look. "I heard Fallsey was looking to hire bounty hunters, not guards." He shrugs. "But 'ey, What Fallsey does is his business and I hope none of mine. Anyone here's a caravaneer, 'cept fer the troupey, but I don't think anyone's keen to set out anytime soon."

The door swings open again as the others arrive, and again the patrons look over to see who it is for a moment before returning to their drinks.

One man sitting near Elia and Claw at the bar has listened in on their question and the bartender's response. He is not the cleanest man, and his graying hair is coarse and hangs down to the base of his neck. He chews his lip a bit, smoothing the stubble around his mouth, then speaks.

"I'm a trader, miss. Not sure what you're trying to sell, but nobody's gonna to be fool enough to try to get past the dogs. They spot anyone trying to move cargo, and unless it's got a heavy guard on it, it's theirs. Lost my wagon trying to move goods here, nobody's going to risk that kind of sure bad thing... and this town's got nothing worth hiring guards for."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Penn

So I might not be hunting killers, but it looks like I'm working with at least one. I hope the other two are easier to get along with.

On the walk between the two points, he tries to introduce himself to the others. The name is Penn, by the way. Pleased to meet you. He tips his hat to Rina, and then Murdoc, in the slightly old-fashioned way still usual among people from his country.

(at the Shining Star)
    Penn tries to enter a step behind the other two. Seeing Elia in conversation, Penn goes to the bar and sits on a stool without acknowledging them, hoping to listen in on the conversation without announcing himself just yet. After all, between Duchesses, wild-men, lady scholars and a man in armour a head taller than the crowd, who'd notice me?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The bartender leaves Elia to meet with Penn, tucking the mug under the bar on his way over and flipping his towel over his shoulder.

"Greetings, friend, anything I can get you?"

The old trader sitting next to Elia scratches absentmindedly at his cheek with a sound like a scrub brush being pushed across a floor. He picks up his drink from the bar and takes a swig, sloshing the ale around his mouth before swallowing and smacking his lips.

"So tell me, what is it you're after? Looking for a safe way out of town or something?"

12. - Top - End - #42

Elia

After listening to the explanation of how the caravan industry is effectively dead within the town, Elia thinks to herself, Well, without a caravan to use as bait, we may have a harder time of tracking them down.

"When the bandits attack, how brutal are they, and do they take the wagons and draft animals along with whatever cargo they're carrying?" Elia asks, deciding to just glean useful information since it appeared that her first plan wouldn't be working.

We could get a covered wagon and pretend to be carrying cargo, only to reveal warriors inside. Or we could try to find out where they camp and storm them at night. If they rely on theft, they must sell their goods somewhere. Perhaps we could pretend to be a group of fences for stolen goods and infiltrate them. There are always other options, she thinks to herself, brow just slightly furrowed in thought.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

13. - Top - End - #43

Devil

Rina

Rina scowls at everyone. This was wasting time. Their best bet was to track them down and cut them down in their sleep, not let themselves be ambushed in the process. She sits down wherever there is a free seat and idly observes them until something more interesting happened.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc looked around the tavern and grunts in slight approval. Seeing his presumed companions engaged at the bar Murdoc decides to ask questions of the other group. He waits for the music to wind down before approaching, then he says "Good day" to the assembled.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Penn
    "Sun's still up, so I'll have a sarsaparilla."

Penn orders a bitter drink, popular among teetotalers. He considers starting a line of questioning of his own, but decides against it when the others are already doing so within earshot. He starts sorting through the tiny coins in his pocket to pay the barman.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Claw

Claw turns towards Penn, "Sarsaparilla? Does this sun drink make your head burn too?" Assessing Penn momentarily he adds, "I am Big Bear's Claw. You are the one that is observant. I greet you." Claw places his hands on Penn's shoulders and then pulls him into an embrace. He whispers a request into his ear as he does so, "Who observes the hunters?"

He turns back to the trader and the bartender, announcing, "We hunt the black pack."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Penn
    Er, well, is just still morning so... When Penn hears Claw's whisper and connects it up with the word observant, he nods as slightly as possible.

So, I'm not the only one worried about the colossus here.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Bar

"That it is." The bartender duly replies to Penn as he pours him a mug of dark liquid from one of the many barrels stacked behind him and sets it down on the bar.

The trader's eyes darken at Elia's question, and he pauses before answering. "They took my wagon, for sure... I hear at first people were a bit luckier, then the bandits got smart, now they cart your stuff away on your own horses..." He takes another sip of his drink before continuing. "If they're brutal they're not thorough 'bout it... Still, they deserve whatever trouble they can get."

The bartender, and a few people at the bar, take notice of Claw's declaration, and they all give the savage-looking man a funny look. The bartender seems to shrug it off and responds to an order further down the bar. The trader has also noticed and leans over the bar to get a good look at Claw.

"So, you're the town's bounty-hunters ah? That explains the dodgy questions. Well Let me tell you, I for one hope you get these dogs. I reckon most of us do. In fact, if there's anything I can do to help..." He just lets the rest of the sentence hang in the air unspoken.

At the Table

The player and his audience all look over at the armored man and make room for him to sit. Chairs are scooted and one person shifts a seat over so that there is a seat available. The player himself sits on the high back of one chair, his feet resting on its seat.

"Come, have a seat, friend." The player invites while re-tuning his instrument. "Anything we can do for you, well-armored sir?"

The audience look between Murdoc and the player, waiting to see what would happen.

19. - Top - End - #49

Elia

"Well," says Elia, leaning in towards the trader and making a hand motion towards Claw and Penn suggesting that they do the same, "I was thinking that we would lure the bandits out with a fake caravan. They expect easy prey when the caravans come through because most traders aren't warriors and can't exactly afford body guards. If we set up a fake caravan, though, and hide us in the backs of the wagons where the cargo would normally be, they may be given an unexpected surprise when they strike. The challenge would be in getting a wagon, some horses, and a person who's willing to take a few risks and wouldn't look too out of place steering it."
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc grins as he leans down, planting his foot on the offered chair. "Well that depends, what do you know about these wannabe bandits?" Murdoc's eyes narrow looking for their responses, not just their replies.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Bar
    The trader starts to grin as Elia outlines her plan, and a bit of cheer lightens his face. "Well, I think I got that last part taken care of." He says with a wink, then leans back and looks about the room. "'fraid I got no wagon nor horse, but if you do find those... I'd be more'n happy to drive 'em for you. Just so long as you give those dogs a thrashing."

The bartender returns as the trader finishes. "What's this about a thrashing?"

"Say there, Arthur, you wouldn't know where these fine people could find a wagon and horse for rent, would you?"

"Looking to rent a wagon, you aren't planning on trying to run the Redcap gauntlet, are you?" The bartender quirks his eyebrow suspiciously at the trader.

"Tryin' to get out? Nah, looking out for my blood."

At the Table

The audience members all take on a sudden quiet and exchange glances. Some of them look worried, others quickly size Murdoc up and then share a pleased look. A singe "ooh" escapes the lips of one young lady.

"Aha! So I am correct," the player declares, "and the town is saved. I'm afraid we here don't know much about that lot, trying to keep our heads out of trouble and despair by staying indoors where the ale is. But I can tell you this. Nobody is safe outside of Redcap. If you're looking for something heroic to do, you might try your luck out in the farmlands, I hear there's no doubt the dogs will be there again soon."

He says all this with a smile, eager to grant his sage advice and wisdom on the matter at hand.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc grinned at the response, though it might have looked like he was about to growl. "Well I know that they wear black and where they like to attack, but not so much their tactics or history. What weapons do they like to use?" Even as he says this he takes a quick glance at the girl who oohed.

23. - Top - End - #53

Elia

"Might they have a horse and wagon for rent or sale out in the farmlands? It seems like such local trips would be less commonly hit by the bandits than the true caravans," says Elia, smiling now. "We could see if anyone out there is willing to loan or rent us anything, if they've got it. My name is Elia, by the way."

Looking around between Claw, Penn, Arthur, and the trader, she asks, "So, what do you all think about this?"
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

24. - Top - End - #54

Devil

Rina

This was absolutely pathetic. The tinman was preening like a peacock, the rest of the mercenaries were ignoring her. Rina slams her hands down on the bar, causing the glasses upon it to shake slightly. It seems the frontiersmen had no manners. She rather primly moves to where the tinman is preening and strutting his feathers. She narrows his eyes at Mr. Helpful, trying to get a read on him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive Check: (1d20+6)[11]

25. - Top - End - #55

Elia

"Might they have a horse and wagon for rent or sale out in the farmlands? It seems like such local trips would be less commonly hit by the bandits than the true caravans," says Elia, smiling now. "We could see if anyone out there is willing to loan or rent us anything, if they've got it. My name is Elia, by the way."

Looking around between Claw, Penn, Arthur, and the trader, she asks, "So, what do you all think about this?"
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

At the Bar

The patrons startle and look over as Rina slams the bar and leaves. Arthur makes a hmm sound, then turns his attention back to Elia.

"Out in the farmlands? Well they certainly have them, don't know about for rent though. I figure they'd welcome the extra money, but I don't get a lot of farm folk in here, so I wouldn't know who or where. What exactly are you fixing to do with this wagon?"

The trader nods his head a bit, but remains silent and goes back to nursing his drink, letting others take care of the talking.

At the Table

The girl who oohed catches Murdoc's glance and blushes, turning her face to look down. Then, slyly, she glances up at him through her eyelashes, which she quickly flutters.

The player opens his mouth, then closes it. His eyes wander about the room for a moment searchingly, then center back on Murdoc.

"Oh... um. I can't really say. Swords, I guess... bows... maybe?" He quickly looses what little steam he starts out with and by the end it is a hopeful question, as if he were a child hoping to answer a question correctly. It is clear he knows little or no real information about the local bandits.

Rina
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Helpful (I'm assuming it's the minstrel you're talking about) seems harmless enough. As far as you can tell he has good intentions but is of very limited knowledge and capability. It would be safe to say he's found the most useful place for himself here, playing upbeat music in a bar.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Penn, at the bar

Guards or Mercenaries. I wish we knew. If we're policemen, we should let them know the law's here and hope they decide to retire. If we're mercenaries, we'd like the first time they see us to be a bloody surprise.

These dogs, what is their crime? Theft with menaces? Killing? Does anyone know who they are or where they are from?

When Rina stalks off, he glances after her silently for a second then shrugs and returns his attention to the other two.

Perhaps there are three routes we can take. We can hunt them to their home, as you said, Claw. We can lure them with a caravan as you said, Elia. Or we could fortify a farm and wait for them there. Is there another I have not thought?

28. - Top - End - #58

Elia

"Like my friend just said, we could lure them into an ambush with a horse and wagon,"
    says Elia to Arthur. "Anyway, there's always the possibility of us making it no longer... profitable for them to steal in this area. If we find their fences, whomever they sell their stolen goods to, and arrest them, the bandits may lose interest in the town and move on. Of course, in that circumstance we wouldn't be able to collect the bounty on them."
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

29. - Top - End - #59

Devil

Rina

"What a wealth of information..." Rina regards him coldly and speaks with all the haughty demeanor of a countess. "Does anyone here have anything contributory to add?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc turns his head slightly to give the intruding woman a harsh glare for the interruption before turning his attention back to the table. He shot the woman he was flirting with a quick wink before turning his attention to the whole table.

"While my companion could use a lesson in politeness I do agree with her question." Murdoc was, in many ways, in his element here. This is the sort of attention any member of the Hillstomper clan used to get in Barksburn. He was more than willing to take control of this little group while he had the chance to gain any information. He did not appreciate this uptight woman getting in his way.