New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Grinning Snake Group 1

It is early morning; the sun has begun to poke up over the horizon as you begin your morning routine. Some of you many have a quick shave, perhaps buy a quick meal from the man on the corner, nothing too special. Well, not yet anyway. You begin to work your way through the slums that cover most of the western side of the city, even sprawling past the city walls. The streets begin to full up with people as the sun rises above the spires of the Palace and your shadow shortens. The general din of the city reverberates in your ear, people selling their wares, greetings and farewells all join together into one noise.

The air is crisp, there is not a cloud in the sky, you can see frost on the edges of the windows and your own breathe in front of you, ‘Dragon’s Breathe’ they call it, something to do with difference in heat and water, you never really worried about that sort of thing. You make your way to the docks, men are already working hard unloading ships and running up and down the massive jetty jutting out into the bay, the Block they call it. You take a left and enter a small square, in the middle is a simple fountain; a group of children are drinking from it as you head towards the Rejoicing Sailor Tavern. You enter the building and despite the fact that it is still early the inn is already filling up with men, keen to spend the money they earned on the night shift. You walk over to the barman, a short squat man. You enquire about a man called the Grinning Snake, he looks hard at you for a second, as if appraising you before showing you to a room in the back.

“Wait here,”

He says simply and closes the door as you sit down at the table. Some people may have already arrived or perhaps you are a morning person and like to get somewhere in good time. Either way the room slowly fills up until there are three people sitting around the table with you. The barman enters again.

“He will be with you shortly, please be patient, please feel free to converse among yourselves whilst you wait”
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-05-20 at 12:51 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The Grinning Snake Group 1

Trevor

A black cloaked man enters the bar. His cloak hides most of his features except for the clinking of a chainshirt, and the hilt of a blade pushing on the fabric. His face is clean shaven, and a few strands of black hair crawl down to his brow. His brown eyes scan the room , and he approaches the barman, inquiring about the "Grinning Snake".

Trevor enters the room that the barman guides him to and takes a seat, the first seat, being the first one in. Saying nothing further to the barman, he leans back comfortably, though his hand under the cloack rests closely to the hilt of his blade. He pondered over his situation.

I never like being the first in a room.. for all I know Ill be the only one and this is some trap.. damn

3. - Top - End - #3
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Galan

A young, slender man enters the room, looks around briefly, and chooses the chair that exposes his back as little as possible to a doorway. He appears to be quite handsome and charming, but in a very nondescript way -- you'd doubt you'd be able to accurately describe him five minutes after he left.

Never show them your true face, even if you trust them. And I don't trust anybody.

"Good morning!" The sound is pleasant, and slightly uplifting, although the eyes still seem to be appraising the cloaked man. Galan drifts off into humming a simple, but catchy tune.

Spoiler
    Show

Disguise - (1d20+8)[28] -- minor features altered, such as hair color, a small scar or two, shape of the ears and nose, etc.
    Perform - (1d20+8)[28] -- no particular reason, just to see how good the song is.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

"I'm to assume you're not the host then eh?" Trevor responds calmly. "Seeing as how we're likely waiting for the same person, you will likely be someone I'll be seeing often.. so I suppose introductions are in order.. you can call me Trevor then." Trevor stares at Galen, waiting for a response.

5. - Top - End - #5

Galan

"Hmm. Yes, well, I hope you'll understand that I'm not particularly eager to share my name with a stranger. You may call me what you wish, I'm sure I've answered to worse," he says with a smile.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor sneers and responds coldly, sounding a little angrier with each few words. "I will call you paranoid. What could I have done with a name, seriously, in a city of this size? You assume I care what name you gave me? An alias would of sufficed, but you had to go and try to make a fool of me." Trevor adjusts his seating to be sitting up straight, giving Galan a glare, but then he smirks exhales, and calms down, turning his gaze back to the door.
    Last edited by Barbarian-Wizard; 2008-05-21 at 03:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serric

The last to arrive is a young man, seeming quite thin but what remains is all muscle, one living in lean circumstances. He has stubble about his face and his hair is long in need of a haircut and slightly greasy. He wears no shoes, just the clothe wrappings on his feet, and his pants and shirt are simple wool. However, since it's still quite chill in the mornings near the docks he has a thick blanket over him like a cloak, that must conceal a small backpack worn on his back. Though he movements are silent enough to cause no extra noise, it can be noticed through a hole in his shirt that there is chain mail beneath, and as he enters for a moment the blanket moves enough to show a short sword on the left and right of his belt. As he enters he stares coldly at the two who had already arrived.

"Rich...well fed...don't seem like the types to join a gang, and they aren't this snake guy either...What if they're from the town guard? I never should've shanked that guard the other day, it was still too open there."

Slowly, watching both of them, he takes a seat that is both a fair distance away from them and as close to either the door or a possible exit (Window, backdoor) as possible. His hands drop from holding the blanket around him to his sides, quite close to those short swords.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few minutes of silence the tension becomes almost unbearable. The distrust in the room is thick enough to cut with a knife and sell as cheap building material. Slowly the door opens and in steps a man dressed in a red overcoat and red brimmed hat. He is of average height and slender build, his black hair is slightly messy and goes down past his shoulders. The most striking thing about him is his face, it is very angular, as if it had been hewn from stone.

"Good Morning," he says very cheerfully and walks towards an empty chair. As he is about to sit down he pauses, "only three?...Well, we shall make a start anyway."

He sits down smoothly as the barman walks in carrying a jug of water and some glasses which he sets down on the table. He gives a short bow to The Grinning Snake before exiting. The Grinning Snake, sensing the tension in the room smiles, "No need to be so suspicious, if I wanted you dealt with I wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of dealing with the guards who were waiting outside," He says with a smile, whilst looking at Serric.

After a pause he speaks again, "Well, seeing as I don't like to be interrupted we might as well get any questions you have out the way first before getting down to business, ask away" As he says this he pours himself a glass of water but instead of drinking it he holds his hand over it and slowly a snake pokes its head out of his sleeve and dips its mouth in the glass.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-05-22 at 06:03 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor watches the Grinning Snake carefully as he talks, and raises an eyebrow at the mention of the guards outside. He begins to become less tense as he speaks, his sword hand becoming less twitchy. He then sits up straight and speaks clamly. "I have a few questions I'll want answering. First, how large of an organization are you running, I also heard you say only three so Im wondering how many you expected to show up here. Another thing, if we do work here, will we immediately have direct enemies? I of course understand that rival gangs and the town guard are naturally.. our enemies, but are there anyone who have their sights aimed specifically at you? Also, whats our cut of whats drawn in. Lastly, who are these people around me right now, and why have you become interested in them?" With his last question Trevor sends a frown towards Galan. Trevor then looks back to the Grinning snake, waiting for either the next questions, or the Snakes response.
    Last edited by Barbarian-Wizard; 2008-05-22 at 07:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

As the leader of the meeting enters, Serric slowly takes his hands away from his blades. He tries to keep his eye looking at everyone gathered at the same time and his expression doesn't really change, even at the mention of the town guard nearby. He stays silent, though some of the one man's questions echoed with his own thoughts. That one thought in the right directions...Maybe Serric could work with him. At the last question though, Serric decides he might as well answer for himself.

"The name's Serric. I don't know why I was asked to be here, but I can follow orders. And I've run with plenty of gangs in this city, for a little bit at least."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Galan

Now that the prospective boss showed himself, Galan relaxes. Slightly. Inclining a short nod toward Trevor, he says, "as I was telling... Trevor was it?... just a minute ago, names are, well, just that. In the line of business I assume we are here to discuss, they are liabilities. Still, I suppose you must call me something, so 'Galan' will have to suffice."

He smiles broadly. "My talents lies in persuasion, coercion, and infiltration. If you need to obtain -- or impart -- information, I'm your man. If you're just looking for some muscle, I'm afraid you've got the wrong guy."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor nods briefly to Galan and Serric, seeming satisfied with their answers, he then sits up straight and grins. Trevor then gives them both a glance, and speaks in his calm tone once more. " Good then. I might as well answer that part as well for myself.. I'm Trevor, and as Galan said that as muscle, he's the wrong man.. well, as muscle I'm the right man. My talent is killing. I'll admit that I haven't worked long with any gangs.. my work had mostly been independant projects. However.. I guess it turns out, working alone all the time doesn't exactly reap you the most benefits. I grew tired of the small rewards, and now I'm here I suppose, a potential sword and knife in the dark for this gang. Trevor then turns his head to regard the Grinning Snake.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The Grinning Snake nods as he regards Trevor, "Very small, four, no, yes, depends on how much you make,".

It takes you a few seconds to realise that The Grinning Snake has just answered all of Trevor's questions in the order that they were asked. He then looks at each of them slowly and then sits back. The snake has finished drinking and returns back up his sleeve.

"As you all know I have called you here because I wish to create a new power in the city. Te gangs have become fat and stagnant, the city guard lazy. I aim to change all that... to mix things up a bit. To do this I require your help, you will go out and stir things around in my name. You will be able to keep most of the profits you make, as well as any power you earn."

He reaches into an inside pocket of his coat and pulls out a key and a letter. "I have arranged so that you will have a base of operations. It is quite rundown, and I would suggest shoring up the locks as a first course of action," He hands the key and letter to Galan, "Front door key and directions,"

He again reaches into a pocket and pulls out three coins and hands one to each of you. They are simple silver coins, stamped on both sides with the grinning snake emblem.

"If you wish to contact me them leave a gold coin on the gatepost outside the house. Now, we better get going,"
    With that he gets up and motions to the door.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #14

Serric

"What's in it for you? This stirring things up business." Serric asks, getting up to take a drink of water straight from the pitcher before making himself ready to leave again. He was happy enough to get another place to hide from the guard and have a steadier income, but with such a small gang and with such little motivation from the leader, he had to wonder.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The Grinning Snake smiles, "Come now, you know how it works; Don't ask and I won't have to lie, all will be told in good time, just be happy for the oppertunity given to you."
    Last edited by Exeson; 2008-05-23 at 03:22 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Phin "spoon" emptypockets, Halfling Rougue

Suddenly you see an incredibly small halfing, almost bashing hastly trought the door. His hosrt red hair is a mess, his face marked by pressed lines, his eyes are all red and he blinks unevenly. he is breathing heavly, with a chain shirt taht was hastly donned, and a black cotton shirt above it it's all roughted up. It seems like he woke up 3 seconds ago and left his bed in a rush. he's very young, leaving you in doubt if that's is not actually a child

"Did I miss something??" he says, almost in a cry, as he keeps the motion and almost bull rushes that large man in red in front of him.

seeing that he arrived in a bad time, he tries to sneak to a close chair, quite embarassed, and pretends that nothing happened. "oh! Spoon here. Sorry I'm late, last night was just lame"he relaxes and tries to find a glass of water for him.
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2008-05-24 at 10:59 AM.
    Playing:
    Shoe, the make-belive gun dealer
    Akira, the psichyc warrior

17. - Top - End - #17

Serric

"Happy about it? We'll see about that." the young man replies to the ambiguous answer. Then, seeing the door burst open, Serric instinctively drops his hands from holding the blanket around him and draws both his shortswords. As the halfling enters he raises them and is about to move forward to strike but then he holds his hand a moment. "You said...four...is this the fourth?" His tone is completely no nonsense and he gives the impression that if the answer is 'no' then the halfling's life would quickly be snuffed out.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor had taken the silver coin, saying nothing else and had begun to stand slowly to depart until the halfling bursts into the room. His right hand draws his Longsword out, and his left wraps around the hilt and pommel below his right and the blade is angled to stand verticaly between Trevor and the Halfling. However he stands still as Serric moves in on the halfling and he waits to see what will happen after the Snake answers Serric's question.
    Last edited by Barbarian-Wizard; 2008-05-24 at 07:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Phin "spoon" Emptypockets, halfling rougue

ops...
    the halfling coils back in the chair, letting go a strange smile
    "Annn...Nice, sharp swords you guys got"

Now that you can see him better you notice several daggers atached all over his belt, arms and legs, as well as empty slots for more daggers. His eyes are wide open, looking everywere at once, as if trying to find another exit.
    Playing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"The weapons will not be needed... just yet" says The Grinning Snake, with a wave of his hand. "He is indeed your fourth member and as much as I would love to give you time for introductions we should be going. Now."

He quickly steps through the door and walks briskly across the Tavern to the door, motioning you to follow. "Now, I will give you some time to get comfortable in your new base of operations, perhaps even obtain a little funding, before I contact you with your first assignment. Kindly fill in Spoon for me about the details... well... as many of them as you know. Now come" He motions towards the door and slips out.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor frowns slightly, and returns the blade to its sheath. He follows the snake out the door. "Might as well leave.. if the boss bit a few guards, then we can't stay here a moment longer. Halfling, follow.. and don't startle us again, Gods.. next time my knife will be whistling through the air.." Trevor says harshly, pulling his cloak snugly around himself, hiding as much of himself behind its black cloth as much as possible, quick-stepping after the snake.

22. - Top - End - #22

Serric

Serric allows himself a brief smile as he sheaths both his blades and picks up the previous warmth giving blanket before following. He might enjoy this afterall if he could work with someone like Trevor. While Serric was just a simple thug and cut throat, Trevor seemed to be a man of the trade, professional. Someone to learn from perhaps.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

phin "spoon" emptypockets

orgasmicly relived of seeing all those blades away from his face, Phin quiquily fallow the steps of the others, not sure of what's goning on nor where the'yre going nor why the rush.
    mmm.. is the guy in red is the boss? looks like...

still a bit embarassed, and fallowing the footsteps: "ahhmm, so, we have a base of operations? thats sounds great! name's Phin by the way... aaahm, Spoon is my nickname, but call me however you like, I doubt I will be offended by any insult" and gives a huge smile to the guy in black cloak and large sword, whoever he is. "Oh, don't worry, next time I will just sneak in!". The halfling shut's up as he nears the bar exit

action: spot check looking for guards or something as soon as I can see the street
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2008-05-25 at 10:14 AM.
    Playing:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

No need for a spot check! you can see a pair of guards racing towards you, weapons drawn, barging people out the way. The Grinning Snake smiles, "I'll deal with them, you flee along the docks, just follow the directions in the letter."

With that he steps towards the men and takes a fighting stance. The two guards stop and smile at each other as they close in, swords raised. Suddenly The Grinning Snake lashes out and the the snake up his sleeve shoots out and bites one of the guards on the nose before retreating back up his sleeve.
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Trevor

Trevor frowns, never liking to run away from a fight, but deciding that this one is pointless and risky for the cover of his identity, he fixes his hood quickly and begins running away, though his eyes glance to Galan, to watch his movements as Galan is currently the direction holder.

26. - Top - End - #26

Galan

"Running from a fight... sounds like a good plan to me." Galan smiles, and then starts running down the indicated path. "Since I have the directions, you'd better not fall too far behind me!"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The halfling goes runnig as fast as his legs allow him to move, still dazed from the sudden wake-up-and-run-arrond"how far is that??? running in the middle of half the streets of the city may, and just may, call some attention!!"
    Playing:

28. - Top - End - #28

Serric

"See you...Boss" Serric replies, complying with the order to fall back as the snake seems to have everything under control. Nice pet, Serric would have to look into getting one of those. He spares a moment to shove the blanket into his pack and runs with the others, his hands never to far from his blades. "Take to the alleys if the directions allow, all the better to lose them or have better odds than in the streets." He suggests to Galan.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The directions are very, well, indirect, they take you on a winding course through the city. When you are nearing the end as you jog around a corner Galan runs slap bang into a city guard, nearly knocking him over.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #30

Galan

Galan adopts a sheepish look. "Oh, thank goodness! A member of the watch! My humblest apologies for the collision, but my friends and I," he gestures to the others following him, "were foolish enough to try and take a shortcut through these back allies. We were accosted by a gang of thugs, but I think we were able to outrun them. I'm sure they won't dare pursue us now that we have the protection of a proud member of the city guard!"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota