New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew group 1

Fence

Fence keeps pace with the others, retrieving his confiscated gear. "Well, I suppose getting paid is a good reason to go through a bit of hassle, eh friends?"
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

2. - Top - End - #62

Solo

Solo follows the others, having no weapons to collect.

3. - Top - End - #63

Andor

Andor fetches his weapons, checking the blade of his sword and the curve of his bow.

"I guess there's no more reason to stay then."
    My first character was a first edition thief.

Evidence that MS Paint is still a valid avataring tool:
    Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

After seeing the quartermaster, guards lead the group to a sortie gate off the west end of the keep. A short walk down a tunnel leaves you in a rocky outcropping some yards from the city wall. The door is slammed behind you revealing it to be cunningly camoflauged to match the surrounding rock.

As per the constable's orders you walk up the road a bit until the city is obscured by the hilly landscape. You decide to open the scroll.

Three days march to the northwest is a fort ruin. A preliminary expedition was sent to determine whether this strategic position could be rebuilt. This expedition included a civilian survey team, who were to report on this posibillity. No report has been received.

You are to proceed to the fort, acertain as to why there has been no contact with the expedition, and return with this information. If possible you are to assist the preliminary expedition in any way you can, but your primary objective is reconnaissance.

You have one week to complete your task. Returning after this time without good reason will result in your execution records being made public.

After reading the final words the text begins to glow. Fence, who had been holding the paper feels it grow hot to the touch, and casts it aside. Shortly before hitting the ground, it bursts into flame. There is no trace of the scroll after the smoke clears.

The road leads roughly northwest before you. You have your orders, as well as a deadline. However, it is now midafternoon, and a rather pleasant spring day. The way ahead promises more rolling farmland and well traveled woodland paths, as well as a rich reward.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Laryth

"Well, I don't understand what all the secrecy is about, checking out a fort and returning seems to be simple enough of a task... so perhaps there's something there the constable would rather not have seen. Or local politics are against rebuilding a fort. Either way, I'd rather not have the guards of Urba Magna chasing after us."

Laryth shoulders his pack and restrings his bow. He looks thoughtfully at the road ahead, "Three days there, three days back, doesn't give us much leeway in meeting our deadline." He shrugs and sets off down the road.
    "It's a trick. Get an axe."

6. - Top - End - #66

Andor

"Well, it is strange. But I'm up for a walk, I hope you are too. There's no point in thinking about human politics and their reasons, at least no sense in wasting time standing still while we could be moving. Let's head out, shall we?"

The tall elf starts walking off towards the notheast, whistling a walking song slightly out of tune.

Spoiler
    Show

1st commemorative BEAST award, for displaying BEASTLY qualities in overcoming tricksy obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #67

Solo

"I guess we'll just have to trust that the secrecy is for our own good."

Solo walks with the others down the road

8. - Top - End - #68

Fence

I've never SEEN exploding paper like that! I wonder if I can convince him to give me some when we get back... Fence looks wistfully back at the concealed entrance to the city, as the group begins their three day march.

9. - Top - End - #69

Andor

Andor stops his whistling and addresses the others:

"It's too bad they didn't tell us who the expeditionary force consisted of. It would be easier to reconnoitre if we knew what kind of people went there before us. I can't help but wonder why they haven't reported or returned. What do you think? Monsters, bandits or something else?"
    Last edited by Sampi; 2008-05-02 at 08:07 AM. Reason: pselling rreors.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

The party travels along the road without incident. The land you travel is indeed dotted with small farmsteads and a few scattered hamlets. You pass a few of the locals, who do not meet you with hostility, but seem content to let you go on your way. A few miles from the city, the hills flatten out a bit, and you can see farther down the road.

There is a large forest, which you are heading directly toward. By your estimation, the fort must lie deep within this wood. Several hours later you cross into the boundaries.

At this point the trees are sparse but healthy. The road is still well maintained, showing signs of use in commerce. You continue onward as there is still much daylight left in the sky. The canopy has not yet grown thick enough to obscure the sun.

Up ahead is an old man sitting on a stump. He is in the midst of stamping out a small fire and gathering up his meager possessions. His countenance is well grizzled by age, but still carries a paternal warmth. When he sees you, he greets the group.

Well, good day. Travelers, eh? Always loved the open road myself. But, you can't go down this path. Storm took out a few big trees, and the woodsman haven't gotten around to clearing them out. It's why I don't pay taxes. Use that old deer path over there.

He chuckles at his own joke and gestures to a smaller track that veers a bit westerly of the main trail. You can't see very far down either path.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Laryth

Laryth stops, enjoying the opportunity to pause and chat a while. He considers the man's words carefully, but smiles at the same time.

"Well good sir, I myself can barely remember who to pay taxes too sometimes, much less which ones are worth paying! Are you from these parts? Perhaps you can share some stories about yonder wood?"

Spoiler
    Show

sense_motive - (1d20+3)[14]

That may be the first time I've ever typed the word yonder... now twice!

12. - Top - End - #72

Andor

Andor looks around and along both paths, then wonders aloud:

"Why would a few fallen trees hinder four men on foot?"

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Fence

Fence replies to Andor ominously, Maybe they're trees of DOOM! But then he shrugs.

14. - Top - End - #74

Solo

We have little knowledge of these parts, it might be best to stick to the main road. I'm sure with all of our skills we can bypass the trees. In fact, we might just give those woodsmen a head start for when they arrive.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

The old man takes Andor's suggestion to heart and begins prattling on about his experience with the woods.

Well, I have to say that this road is just one of many I've walked down. I can say I've walked down it more than once. Just another place between here and there I suppose. But these woods, they're nothing special. Just some trees, some more trees, the occasional hunter, and a bear or two. I did see a goblin one time. It was a ways up north I suppose. I swear he was drunker than a dwarf on... whatever the dwarven holy day is. Him and a bunch of his buddies. All drunk, just yelling at each other in that screechy little language of theres. I suppose you don't believe me, but I swear I saw them.

He continues on about the trees and the bears and whatnot, taking a bit of a hard left at tavern wenches and his life in general. If you don't stop him you are sure he will go on for hours.

Laryth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man seems sincere, if a bit senile.

16. - Top - End - #76

Andor

"Aye, goblins can be either dangerous or just a nuisance. But tell me, good sir, do you remember a group of soldiers and civilians going this way some time ago? Perhaps you even remember how many soldiers there were?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wasn't exactly here a while back. I was farther up the road, or at an inn, all depends on how far back you mean. I'm more of the travelling type, not the squat-in-the-woods type.

18. - Top - End - #78

Andor

I see. I'm just guessing and asking - but friends, tell me which way should we go? The forest path which this man who does not live here asks us to take or the main road with some fallen trees?

The elf looks at Laryth with the question in his eye.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Laryth

"Let's take the deer path... someone put this young traveler in our path and I am a fan of fate. Look how far it's brought us so far!"

Laryth invites the man to travel with them, but heads towards the path either way.

Spoiler
    Show

A little more trust than he normally would give, but to move the story along...

20. - Top - End - #80

Fence

Fence shrugs and wanders along after his companions.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm going to need marching order and disposition.

22. - Top - End - #82

Andor

Andor moves off with Laryth. Somewhat suspicious of this strange event, he takes his bow and strings it, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marching order suggestion: Rogue in front moving carefully, the rest about 30 feet back.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Solo

Feeling a little uneasy about the path they were about to take, but not saying anything, Solo falls into step with the rest of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    I second Sampi's suggestion

24. - Top - End - #84

Fence

Fence casts a quizzical glance at Andor's bow, then shrugs. Fear an ambush, then? He pulls out his awkwardly large rapier, for safe keeping, and sets off ahead of his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eranti will lead the procession by about 30 feet, then.

spot - (1d20-1)[14]
    listen - (1d20+5)[9]

25. - Top - End - #85

Andor

"Aye, fallen trees blocking the path from men on foot sound suspicious to me. better be on our guard."

Spoiler
    Show

Rolls later, since I apparently cannot access campaign-blog.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Sampi, campaign blog has been down for over a week now, I fear the worst. Thinking maybe their server could have been in China, damaged by the quake.))

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Laryth

Laryth falls to the back of the group, his bow ready.

Spoiler
    Show

spot - (1d20+5)[15]
    listen - (1d20+5)[6]