New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Homebrew group 2

Now at last you begin your adventure, or at least the journey to where you hope you will find adventure. Having very little spending money, and very much road ahead of you, have not made the trek pleasant. With each passing day you feel less and less like a hero, and more like a ball of filth. Travelers gaze upon your ragtag group with suspicion, and Innkeeps always seem to find the dirtiest corner of the common loft. The heavens also seem to frown upon you. During your short journey you have managed to see snow, be covered in mud, drenched in hot rain, and baked beneath an even hotter sun. Yet, you finally arrive at last at the great city of Magna Urba.

You pass through the outskirts, which consist of small farmsteads and scattered villages, to arrive at the main gate of the walled city. Once passing beneath what summarily the most intimidating and imposing battlements you have ever laid eyes upon, you are assaulted by a swirling cacophony of sound and color.

The party has arrived at the main market district of Magna Urba. In a space enclosed by a quarter mile wide semi-circle are more carts, vendors, and shops than you have seen in your entire life. Sigil was diverse, in so much as you could find many types of people, but this is diversity of a different flavor. In Sigil everyone was part of a whole, and lived in the same small community. The market place displays a great clashing and bustle of strangers. Each individual seems to exist in their own world, with their own unique style.

You can’t help but get pressed into the crowd and be drawn in by the many attractions. All of the vendors seem quite willing and able to assail against every one of your senses. Had you a bit more gold on hand, you might have found yourself parting with it very quickly.

From what you can tell from you vantage point at the edge of the crowd, the center of the ring is completely inundated with the same chaos . Somehow, probably due to the vigilance of the very competent looking guards, there is a relatively clear path surrounding the central swirl. Carts carrying various goods can be seen passing along this path, which is lined along the wall with more established places of business.

Where do you go now, adventurers?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew group 2

Abe Ochoa

"Heel!" Barked Abe at King, noticing the mutt eye a caged rabbit and not wishing the dog to get separated from him in the midst of the throng. Slowly, holding Berkeley's lead, he attempts to spy any sort of hall or residence where the Duke, or more probably his retainers, might be awaiting the arrival of himself and the rag tag band of other invitee's he had met along the way.

"Any clue where we are supposed to meet his Lordship?" He said as he continued to look this way and then that, "We should probably go directly there. Nobles sometimes get testy when their guests are late."
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2008-04-01 at 01:59 PM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Nox Luna

Looking to the city around her like a child who just received an early birthday present, Nox comes back to reality with Abe's question. She quickly looks to the others, and seeing as no one knew where to go, she starts going towards the people on the city, saying:

"Oh... Oh, yes, we should hurry. Well, we don't know this city anyway, so let me ask someone where the Lord resides."

Nox doesn't wait for an answer, and dissapears into the crowd. After a short time, she is back, still looking amazed at the city.

Spoiler
    Show

Would you like for our rolls to be here on spoilers or on the OOC thread ?

Gather Information check - (1d20+2)[12]
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hunk

From atop his horse followed Hunk, a sullen-eyed half-orc whose great shoulders bore the weight of a suit of chain, as well as a small arsenal of weaponry. Carrying a glaive on his mount, a morning star and a curved sword at his belt, as well as javelins on his back, he could not help but look like a dangerous man. But he was not trying to intimidate anyone - he was primarily utilitarian. In fact, he didn't like standing out in the crowd for even a moment, as evidenced by his constant frowning and avoidance of eye-contact.

He does not often speak, but mutter - and seems to make no exception here."If he didn't say where to find him, then it's his own damn fault if we're later than expected."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

After some minutes of questioning, Nox garners that they should look for a local constabulary if they wish to deal with the Duke's men. Other than that, he can not determine whether or not the Duke himself actually wants to see them.

OOC: Rolls here, in spoilers, keeps things neat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Ochoa

Abe watches as the girl dissapears into the crowd and then turns and looks up at Hunk. "Yeah, it would be," he replies to the muttering, "but the thing is, Nobles, they have these guys called guards who do whatever they say, including cutting your head off. So, we should try to be on time."

He attempts to spy Nox among the crowd, and fails for the most part until she suddenly appears at the edge of the press. "So, where are we going?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Nox Luna

Coming back to the group, smiling and watching the diversity of people passing by, Nox first bows to the group, apologising:

"I'm sorry that I left without warning, but I had never seen a city as big as this one ! Well, to tell the truth, I had never seen any other city anyway. Oh yes, yes, about the Lord; one of these merchants was kind enough to tell me that, if we have bussiness with the Duke, we should look for a constabulary near here. I guess we won't be talking directly to the Duke, after all, but that was a little expected, wasn't it ?"

After informing the group of what she was told, Nox waits for each of the group's members to think, looking at one of the merchants nearby, who was selling a handsome-looking necklage. After a few minutes, Nox turns back to the group and smiles, saying:

"Well, let's get going ?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mreh..." Hunk grumbles at Abe's remark. "They could try." He doesn't comment on what Nox has to say - his feelings on the matter are instead surmized by an apathetic shrug. He follows once the group gets moving.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The group makes their way through the crowd and traffic to a squat and official looking building along the walls edge. Out in front is a bulletin with various job offerings and wanted posters. Two guards wielding halberds stand on either side of the entrance. They do not seem the type for conversation.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe leads Berkeley over toward the bulletin.

"Get my letter from the Duke out of my pack will you Skree?" He says over his shoulder, apparently to pack saddle, which begins to rustle. As the pack buldges and shifts Abe glances over the job offerings and the wanted posters. If whatever the Duke wanted didn't pan out then it was good to be aware of other options. Also, it was good to have a notion of who in this town would be willing to stab him in his sleep or at least was known for being willing to. After a few moments a brown rat with a large white spot on its head scurries out of the large sack in the middle of the saddle with a small engraved envelope bettween its teeth. He nods thanks to the rodent, takes the letter from its maw, and the little creature scurries back into the sack from which it emerged.

"Well," He said looking at the rest of the party, "I guess we better go ask these guards."
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2008-04-03 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Edited for Spelling, Grammar, and general Writing Goodness

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

While perusing the bulletin, Abe notices something rather startling. A poster with a rather detailed description of the party reads the following:

Wanted for High Treason, Reward pending capture, do not approach, DANGEROUS, see your local officer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

He had barely finished his sentence when the contents of the wanted poster finally percolated from his retinas to his brain. "Wait a sec," he hurriedly said and looked back over at the wanted poster. Yep, that was definitely them.

He pulled the invitation out of the envelope in his hand, pretended to glance at it, and said, "You know, actually it says where to meet him on here, follow me folks," and then more quietly, "no need to rush, try to look normal."

As calmly as he could he took Berkeley’s lead, gestured for King to follow, and started walking as nonchalantly as possible back toward the marketplace from which they had come.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case anyone was listening/watching that last comment probably needs a bluff check.

(1d20+5)[11]
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2008-04-04 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I forgot to make the speech in the second paragraph blue

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Nox

"Huh ? What do you mean, my frien..." - Hearing Abe talk about 'looking normal', Nox suddenly goes silent, knowing that something is wrong. She follows Abe back to the marketplace, while casually turning and saying:

"So, what do you guys think about finding an Inn or something ? I am really tired, aren't you guys ?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Casandra:

((OOC: I apologize for the delay.))

She was dressed in a heavy wool coat, her shiny, black studded-leather armor and rapier on her side. She looked like an adventurer, but the sullen look on her dirty, plain face made her feel otherwise. What she wanted was a good, long bath to lather up her spindly, brown hair. Gah."Don't be dumb." she sighed. She had gone much longer with less. Life at the academy was making her soft.

Casandra followed the others without a word, but a very, very inquisitive look on her face. She swaggered on behind them, trying to look as nonchalant as possible, all of her training (and a good dose of common sense) told her to not act like an out of townee; however, even she couldn't help but look around in awe. She had seen many cities on her trip from sea; however, this was the first time she saw one up close and front.

Still that wasn't anything in comparison to the view in front of him. Hunk was quite the hunk. Alright, alright she had a ... thing for half-orcs; personally she didn't get why most people didn't find them cute and Hunk looked so cute when he tried to look human. Still she couldn't let that slip, it wasn't professional.

"You know, actually it says where to meet him on here, follow me folks,"

No it doesn't. She quickly snapped back to her senses; she had memorized the note more or less. She made the assumption that someone was following them, someone who shouldn't have been.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to make it seem like she does not have the high school crush on Hunk: (1d20+3)[4] ... spot check: (1d20+2)[4]

Epic fail
    Last edited by WillWolf; 2008-04-05 at 03:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Before the party can go very far, they are surrounded by a dozen of the town watch. They form a 10ft. circle around the party, leveling their halberds, but making no other hostile moves. A man in a well-polished breastplate approaches and speaks to the party through gap in the circle.

I have been ordered to facilitate you arrest. Come peacefully, and your trial shall be fair and just. Resistance will not suffice you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Nox Luna

Looking to the guards around the group and to the man in breastplate, Nox seems surprisingly calm. She gives a step towards the man, showing no ill-intentions and adressing him:

"If we are being arrested, then I shall go peacefully. However, I would like to hear the reasons for our arrest. We just arrived to this beautiful city, and I did nothing wrong. I believe my companions are also innocent of any illegal activities, for they do not seem the type to cause problems."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Ochoa

Abe said a bad word under his breath.

"Good Sirs, like my friend, I am also confused as to why we might be wanted men here. I have never set foot in Magna Urba before in my life and only do so now at the invitation of the Duke," He held out the invitation to the speaker in the shiny breastplate, "We will, of course, follow your orders and come peacefully but see for yourself the invitation."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Casandra:

Casandra smiled and looked as cute as she possibly could. "Well if you are sure it is us, officers."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man crosses his arms and speaks in short, punctuated breaths.

Treason. There is no mistake. My orders are clear. I am to accept no argument. Come with me, or I will bring you.

The guards remain steadfast around you, obviously being very well trained. You are certain that at a gesture they would be upon you with a crashing wall of metal.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Nox Luna

"Treason ? Well, that is not possible. But relax, I have no intent on resisting the arrest. I just hope our trial is indeed fair and just, and we can walk freely on this beautiful city once again soon."

Nox walks towards the man, intending to follow him to wherever he leads her.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Treason?" Hunk frowns at the man running the show. "Whazzat mean? I don't understand. What did we do?" Whether or not he was telling the truth about understanding the concept may have been unclear, but half-orcs were never seen as intelligent.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-06 at 05:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're coming, we're coming," Abe replied. As they moved he whispered to Nox, "I don't think we should keep our hopes up for a fair trial, what with their being 'no mistake' and all."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Nox Luna

Nox nods to Abe's words, but maintains a calm face. One who saw her could say she was just meeting old friends, and not being arrested. She whispers back to Abe:

"That is true. However, if their justice is really flawed, then it has no value, and we can just escape."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe Ochoa

Abe nodded to Nox.

Especially since it's probably that or hanging. For now though... Abe smiled and continued following the guards.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Casandra:

"It's alright Hunk." She said soothingly. Relax--We're being charged with a crime against the aristocracy or royalty, but since we aren't guilty, we should be fine." She gave him a very sweet smile. Of course she was smart enough to know differently; however, she didn't believe a word she was saying, this smelled like a set-up to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check for Hunk if necessary: (1d20+3)[17] ... Is it possible to do an untrained knowledge local/royality check to know who would be charging us for treason? (1d20+3)[13]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling against me? I thought the rulebooks discouraged the use of skills against fellow PCs. Pfft...whatev.

Hunk

With the lack of will to resist among his companions confirmed, Hunk makes no protests, simply giving Cassandra a nod and going along with the armed men peacefully.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-08 at 09:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Deep. You are more than welcome to ignore these rolls; however, I just didn't want Hunk to you know ... go like a half-orc bruiser ... and bruise. >__>;;

Hope you don't mind the 'crush' thing. I always wanted to have a character have a crush on a race that she or he was not supposed to have a crush on.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man visibly softens his posture and makes a short gesture over his shoulder. Two more guards arrive with manacles and hoods.

For your own safety it would be best that the townsfolk not see your faces. It would do well for you not to be recognized if and when you are found innocent.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    np, Willwolf

Hunk pondered on the statement made, making no attempts to resist to the manacles or the hood.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd need a sense motive check before I respond to that statement.: (1d20+1)[14]