New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Diminishing Returns (IC)

Thurstan

Feeling slightly sheepish for messing up the name of the missing professor, Thurstan thought for a moment. The name rings a bell, although I'm not exactly sure why. Let me see if I can remember anything, or if my mind is just playing tricks on me." He then fell silent, seeing if he could recall anything about this 'Birth Valley'.

Spoiler
    Show
    K: Religion (1d20+7)[15]
    Do I know anything about the place?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Gen

"The birth of everything," Gen punctuates his sentence by closing his book as he responds to Morin's question.

He keeps his head lowered slightly, and moves his finger on the cover of his book, as though tracing a passage written on the cover. "Birth Valley is a holy land, said to be the place from which all life in Motavia came. Professor Holtz disappeared after leading a research team there. The very first such team, actually, because such a holy site is naturally well guarded by the cultures who live around the valley." His eyes gloss over for a moment as he muses to himself. "Just imagine the mysteries that might be solved if the stories are true."

After a moment, he drops out of his dreamlike stare and opens his book again.
    "Of course," he continues, "We haven't learned anything yet, as Professor Holtz disappeared on the journey, and we have only heard rumors that some of his party have been seen since."

Seeming slightly self-conscious after speaking for so long, believing that perhaps he should have left that explanation to his teacher, Gen settles back into silence, turning a page in his book and taking a sip of his tea.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-04-02 at 08:11 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What Gen said amounts to basically everything known about Birth Valley.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

Smiling and nodding at his pupil's display of his knowledge, Osheakael sets his teacup down and stands. He walks over to the corner and takes several books and sheets of paper off of a large chest and sets them on his now vacant chair. "I suppose I should get my equipment out and readied for our jaunt."
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Giving his odd grin again, Morin smiles. "Unless you think the monsters will just lie down and allow us to slit what passes for their throats, that would be advisable, Professor."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

Nodding in agreement, the professor lifts the lid of the chest and pulls out a suit of well-crafted leather adorned with numerous ceramic studs and lays it over the back of the chair. Next he removes a large fiberglass shield that is heavily reinforced and leans it up against the chair. The shield is followed by an exquisite sickle, a light crossbow with a bolt case, a sheathed dagger, and a travel pack. He opens the pack and checks the contents, nodding to himself as he remembers each item. "I think I will only bring some sheets of paper, should the need arise to record something. I will leave these here," Osheakael says as he withdraws two books of fairly good size and sets them on his desk.

"If you gentlemen will excuse me for a few minutes, I will get myself prepared."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Thurstan

"You never know, Morin. Some might be sleeping, although I doubt it. Anyway, do you think I should get my crowbar from Whisperwind's pack? I'm never sure if it would be of any use." As he spoke, Thurstan looked contemplative. He always carried an excess of items with him, but he was never sure of which of his many items to bring.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

"That's a good question." Morin looks to the Professor and his student. "Do the storage rooms have locked doors, do you have keys to them if so, or if not, do you think we have permission to remove the doors any way needed?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

The professor shakes his head. "Nothing should be locked. Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me for a few minutes, I will prepare myself and we can begin our mission."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Morin nods to the Professor as he leaves. And then looks to Thurstan. "Bring it anyways. Shouldn't be locked isn't the same as there aren't doors that can lock. Or be barred."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

Five minutes later, Osheakael exits his office and faces the others. With a smile he nods to each in turn. "Ready when you are," he says with a smile. He carries the shield in his left hand and the crossbow in his right, though at the moment it remains unloaded. "I will load when we get to the basement. I would not want any accidents to occur within the halls."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

. .CUT TO:

INT. UNIVERSITY HALLWAY, DAY

There is a young man sitting on a chair outside of a heavy door, the way down to the basement. He has been tasked by the principal to stand in front of the door and not let anybody downstairs. He looks bored, and a little nervous. When you tell him who you are and why you are here, he gladly steps asside and unlocks the door for you.

The way down is dark. Some parts of the University have electric lights, the Adminstration Office and the Medical School for instance, but not the storage rooms. The University has been built on the foundations of an old castle and the walls are cold, damp stone. The stairway is well constructed, but the wood has grown old and mildewy, each step creaking noisily as you descend.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

Noticing the darkness, Osheakael withdraws a leather-capped torch from his pack. He lifts the cap off and lets it hang from now glowing torch. "Would anyone care to carry this? With shield and crossbow, my hands are a bit full." he asks with a sheepish grin.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Unbeknown to Morin, his eyes shift slightly, the blue green energies he summons appearing in his eyes as he looks down into the stairway. Where he at first saw shadow, now he sees. "Heh, shadows aren't as dark as I thought." He looks back to see the Professor's torch. "I'll take point, if you all can't see."

Spoiler
    Show
    See the Unseen. Grants See invisible and Darkvision 60' for 24 hours.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Thurstan

"You should take point. I'll follow." Thurstan followed closely as he spoke, his sword drawn and his shield held. He was a bit uncomfortable without being able to see where he was going, so not going first was fine with him. After a moment's hesitation, he channeled the power needed and shifted his position into that of his Iron Guard's Glare stance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Before we came I put my crowbar in my backpack. Also, for ease of reference, Iron Guard's Glare gives all enemies I threaten -4 to their attack rolls against my allies (doesn't apply to me).
    Last edited by senrath; 2008-04-07 at 01:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Morin leads the way, his fey blood allowing him to see far beyond the glow of the torch. As the four descend, the torch illuminates the basement revealing a stone floor, boxes of old books, shelves, stowed furniture and junk. There is noise from the far end of the room.

Morin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can clearly see two monsters lurking in the corner, partially obscured by a crate. They seem to be a cross between a spider and a slug, oozing slime from their carapaces. Deadly-looking mandables work slowly as they eye the group. They are almost man-sized

Everybody else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect movement from the shaddows in the corner. Something is alive down here, but you can't quite tell what.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-07 at 01:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael

With no takers, Osheakael slides the everburning torch into his belt freeing his hands for his shield and crossbow. He follows the others down, letting his student follow last.

When he notices the movement ahead, the professor calls out. "Who is there? Show yourself or harm may befall you!" He raises his crossbow should it be necessary to fire.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

"They're what we were hired for, Professor."

Morin holds his hands up, blue green energies crackling. "I suggest we hurry this along." The energy seems to bend and mold for a moment as Morin weaves his hands, before breaking loose and jumping the distance in moments.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we playing you do all rolls, Juris?

If so, ranged touch attack at +4, damage is 1d6. crit on 20.

If not...
    Touch Attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    CC: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]

Init: (1d20+3)[22]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The blast sails through the air and strikes the creature's cover, sending a shower of sparks and splinters flying. If they didn't notice you before, they do now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lochar: Forum roller is fine unless I ask otherwise. I did roll your spot checks for you before, for instance.

Initiative please!
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2008-04-07 at 02:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 10/10; AC 17, t 12, ff 15

"Oh. Right. Sorry," the normally verbose man replies with another sheepish grin and a flushed face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[16]
    Can I see well enough to shoot at any targets?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Thurstan

Paying close attention to where Morin directed his attacks, Thurstan began to draw out his power. "Any idea what they are?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[12] Initiative
    Rolling for powers:
    1: Leading the Attack (WR)
    2: Crusader's Strike (DS)
    3: Vanguard Strike (DS)
    4: Stone Bones (SD)
    5: Charging Minotaur (SD)
    6: Reroll
    (10d6)[3][6][3][1][2][5][5][4][4][3](36)
    Rolled extras just in case of duplicates. If three different ones still aren't chosen, I'll roll in the OOC.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Keeping an eye on the creatures, Morin replies to Thurstan. "Someone's nightmare. Two bugs that ooze, with ant mandibles. And they stand almost as tall as us."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Osheakal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can shoot, but they have partial cover and partial concealment from you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael
    Spoiler
    Show

Osheakael starts to take aim at the figures, but realizes he can't see the creatures well enough to ensure a decent shot at success. He pauses, waiting for the creatures to break cover and present themselves in better light. Literally.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any idea what they are? Knowledge (arcana): See OOC.
    Unless I can move to a spot that will negate their cover, I'll ready action for them leaving cover, but I'll go ahead and make my attack rolls for that opportunity.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[19]
    Crit?: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8)[2]
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-07 at 03:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Attencion!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I need to know your intended actions. I have Osheakael's, and I can assume Morin will be firing off another blast, but what is Thurston doing? Also, if I don't hear from Gen before the rest of you, he'll be taking full defense this round as he "mentally prepares himself."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Thurstan

Thurstan carefully moved in front of Morin, his shield raised and his sword at the ready. The moment one of those monsters moved close enough, he was going to strike at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, my internet doesn't like GITP today. Anyway, in case you can't tell, I'm readying an action to strike the monsters once they come close enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Morin

Shifting the energies to one hand, Morin draws his mace as he flings energy at the creatures again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Normally, I'd be using Mortalbane, but as I'm playing a character who doesn't know his whole powers, he doesn't yet know he can do so. :P We need some stress to bring it out!

Ranged touch attack: (1d20+4)[23]
    CC on 20: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Osheakael
    Spoiler
    Show

As realization dawns, Osheakael lets the others know what he has discovered. "It has occurred to me that, as slime-like creatures, they should have slippery and possibly corrosive membranes around their skin. Be careful in melee. It seems we shall be categorizing new creatures during our mission! How exciting!" The professor beams as he sights down his crossbow.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Morin's blast strikes true, penetrating the darkness- and its target. There is a shriek as the monster's guts are painted across the back wall.

The second creature darts out from behind the crate, but not at the party. Seeing his shot, Oshaekal takes it, striking the monster between its exoskelletal plating and drawing what passes for blood, a slimy mass. Not bad for a professor. The creature shrieks in pain and continues on its path, away and through an open archway, out of sight.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Thurstan

Thurstan, still wary, begins to approach the wreckage that was the crates. He figured that the monster that Morin struck was dead, but he wanted to make sure. If it wasn't dead, he was going to strike at it. Else, he was going to get a better look at its remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL