New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Overpowered Game

As Kel moves, his mindsight shifts from being to being below his feet, as though moving a slide under a microscope, allowing him to "see" many more undead moving around beneath his feet, although they apparently take no notice of him.

Meanwhile Alekel waits nervously for Alazne and Yogg..y to stop bickering before he follows Kel.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne rolls her eyes.
    Fire kills vampires. Sunlight kills vampires. Firelight does not kill vampires. Heat equal to that produced by sunlight, on its own, has no real affect on a vampire. Hell, you saw and felt the heat my blasts of fire created, and that one vampire still lived beyond it! It wouldn't have survived that long if exposed to sunlight, which is far, far less hot.
    Heat is not what makes sunlight lethal to vampires- perhaps it isn't divine magic and power (though I bet many priests of sun gods would beg to differ), but it is something far more than just fire.
    Vampires don't fear fire. They DO fear sunlight.

She keeps walking towards the tower, ignoring Kel.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With a glance back at Yoggy, Alekel follows Alazne.

A giant black, stone tower rises before the party, circular in nature, with each successive level of the tower smaller than the one beneath it, so that it looks similar to a circular pyramid. Each level is approximately 15 feet tall, and there are 5 visible levels in all. From where the group stands, it is impossible to see around the tower, but presumably there Kel can sense many intelligent undead within the tower as he closes in on it.

As the party approaches the tower, the path widens a bit, and then shrinks as it approaches a large steel door. Kel senses no creatures on the other side of the door, or even close to it - the closest one being approximately 30 feet away.

Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-04-11 at 09:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Kel' looks up at the great tower and frowns. No welcoming party? I'm disappointed. He smiles to himself as he reaches into his pack and pulls out a bag. Turning it inside out, it glows bright yellow.

Well Cleric? There isn't a sentient being within 30ft of the entrance. Will you do the honor of opening the door?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"M-me?" Alekel looks startled, backing up a step. "B-but... I... ah..."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

No one within 30 ft? Well, I guess we ought to knock then. He might greet us personally, and save us the time of going up. Go on cleric, knock on the nice door.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne rolls her eyes and moves up to the door, entirely unafraid as she knocks quite loudly in a triple beat, then steps back to wait on an answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Given the color of the path, I've decided that white was a bad choice for doors. So henceforth, all doors will be brown.

I've also given each of the PCs their own color, as you can see

I think after this I'll start putting dots on the map where Kel's mindsight tells him there are other creatures.

The stone door opens by sliding up. No one is on the other side, nor can the adventurers see anyone else anywhere around. Entering a five-foot-wide hall, they see that it slopes around in a circle, so that it is impossible to see the entire hall at once. From the general shape of the hall, and previous knowledge of the place, the group can guess that the tower is round and the hall goes all the way around this floor. Two more doors are visible from the entrance to the place, though these are wooden instead of stone.

Kel can sense many living beings all around him - some below, some above, and some on the same floor. All are undead, and many intelligent. He can tell that entering through the wooden doors will allow him to meet some of the undead.

As the party moves around the base of the tower (with Alekel trailing), they find two more doors, but nothing else. It appears they will have to enter one of the doors in order to proceed.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-04-15 at 08:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne frowns, pacing around the base of the tower, wondering which door they should choose. She glances at her companions, wondering what their thoughts are on the matter.

10. - Top - End - #40

Kel' moves in, heading to the right. He stands directly in front of the Door reaching out with both his Mind and soul through is feet.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

"Very well then. Inward and onward!" Yog marches into the tower.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the adventurers head into the lich's tower, they meet nothing and no one. However, they hear voices coming through the walls on the inside of the tower - almost as if the tower were a social area for undead. Alekel meekly follows behind Yoggy who is last in.

Kel's mindsight has already shown him that there are many undead waiting inside the door of the tower, and his tremorsense reveals nothing new.

13. - Top - End - #43

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are all those on the first floor? I'm changing my post if the answer is no.

Kel' reaches out to his companions: There are approximately 200 undead in the center of the tower. We may be dealing with all of them at once. I recommend we start by killing a large number, and inform the remainder that it is in their best interest to not get in our way. Other options include attempting to speak politely with them.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne laughs quietly and then speaks in a hushed voice.
    We could probably take them all if we needed to. Why not just go in and slaughter them?

15. - Top - End - #45

Why bother? I wish not everything around here was sentient. I'd feel better with a cold body in front of me.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

It would be simpler and quicker. Burn most of them, let the rest flee, and keep going.
    Alazne is obviously confident in her abilities. Perhaps overconfident.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I misjudged lengths in my last post, and only showed 50' of mindsight, rather than 100'. This post is essentially so I can put up the right map.

@Chosen: Yes, these are all on the first floor. There are more undead on the floor both above and below.

Kel's mindsight expands from his focused tremorsense to its max range, revealing even more undead, and almost justifying his estimate of their numbers to his partymembers.

Alekel, almost too scared to speak, remembers what Kel said about his thoughts, and so directs them at Kel. Perhaps, ah, we could just sneak around?

18. - Top - End - #48

Kel steps back from the door and sits against the wall.

Whatever we are going to do, someone should go about doing it.

19. - Top - End - #49

Kobold

Tell me when you're ready, and I can begin the negotiations. By which I mean distraction.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne swiftly casts Mage Armor, then signals for Yog to get the door as she starts readying herself to blow some things up.

21. - Top - End - #51

Kobold

Yog opens the door.

"Hello!" he says.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I had to guess where you guys were, I suppose this is good enough.
    Initiatives:
    Alekel: 14+2=16
    Alazne: 13+2=15
    Kel: 1+13=14
    Yoggy: 7+3=10

Yoggy opens the door to a room full of undead. Two gray walls come to an intersection directly across from where the door is, and the wall with the door curves to meet these two. On the wall diagonally to the left, two more doors wait on either side of a low table - approximately 1 foot off the ground - which seats two undead. There are several similar tables along the other walls as well, with undead sitting behind them. Around the room, there are several exotic carpets on the stone floor, neatly positioned for the aesthetic pleasure of the room's inhabitants. Throughout the room undead sit on carpets, at tables, and even on the stone floor itself.

There is an incredible variety of undead, ranging from ghouls to wights - some with armor or weapons - a devourer in one corner of the room, and some even stranger undead.

As Yoggy yells out his greeting, almost all the undead turn to look at him. Then they stare at him. The room goes quiet.

Alekel, seeing Yoggy open the door, decides to help out by casting Magic Circle Against Evil.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-04-22 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Initiative check modifier

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Alazne pauses at all the undead, wondering if this really was such a good idea. She had been confident in her power, she was a wielder of fire such as would sear the traces of these undead from the earth...
    But there were just so many of them- and some of them looked too powerful for her liking. However, it was a wee bit late for taking this back now.
    Steeling herself, Alazne casts her spell...

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting one Sculpted Empowered Searing Fire Substituted Fiery Lightning Bolt.
    I'll choose the four 10ft cubes again. One will be on the little cube of undead in front of us- that is, the wight, wight, ghoul, and undead next to Kel and in front of Yog.
    The second will be in the back on top of the devourer and the two undead below it.
    The third will be the three undead below the second cube.
    The fourth overlap the first cube in the upper left corner (just one 5ft space) and hit the three wights that weren't hit with the first cube.

Damage:
    (15d6+15)[57]
    SR check for Devourer: (1d20+10)[12]
    Misc SR checks just in case some of the other undead have SR:
    (1d20+10)[25]
    (1d20+10)[12]
    (1d20+10)[27]

Alazne decides to get out of the way, and backs off down the hall, thinking it might be best to run, or at least get out of sight.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-04-22 at 07:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Kel', in his calmest, coldest, flattest mental voice speaks directly into the minds of all the undead in that section of the building, Sometimes those things just slip out. Your friends are fine, I'm sure. If you disagree, well, speaking rights can be arranged.
    Last edited by Chosen_of_Vecna; 2008-04-23 at 05:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Kobold

Seeing his allies taking to the fight, Yog joins in. Warriors of darkness shall fall! Yog yells. He moves back and casts a Widened Grease such that the near corner of the effect covers the doorway.

26. - Top - End - #56

In the first sound anyone has heard uttered from Kel's mouth:

Hurrumph. Why do I even bother?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Saves:
    Ghoul: Fail
    Wight: Fail
    Wight: Succeed
    Wight: Succeed
    Undead: Fail
    Undead: Succeed
    Undead: Succeed

Consider them to be in ascending order. I've marked in red the enemies hit by Vael's spell.

Vael's caster check is insufficient to overcome the Devourer's SR.

Shadow, your turn is still before the undead. Check the OOC thread before you cast though.

Vael's spell wipes out a few of the undead, but many are left standing. Seeing their brethren destroyed, the remaining undead break out angrily.

"Your comrade just destroyed our friends!" One yells out in response to Kel's comment.

28. - Top - End - #58

Kobold

Not aware of any peace-related attempts, Yog steps back, and sprays a wad of grease onto the floor. "Heh heh. Fall, evil warriors!"

Spoiler
    Show

Heightened Grease. Targeted such that the closest square covers the door, so any undead who want to get past will have to make their balance checks.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll assume you meant to heighten that to level 3, since you didn't post a level. In that case the save DC is 17 Just make sure to record your spells available/cast on your character sheet

Both wights failed their reflex saves against the grease by more than 5.

As Alazne runs down the hall, she hears the sound of a door opening and closing, and catches a glimpse of a creature down the curving hall.

Yoggy's spell splatters the floor with grease, and as the undead close in on him, they slip and fall on it.

Behind them, all the undead stand up, and a few wights draw their weapons. However, none of the undead are able to enter within 10' of Alekel because of his Magic Circle against Evil. However, the stranger undead shamble forward and hit Yoggy with the power of their eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow, roll 13 fortitude saves (DC 17) or die. You gain a +2 resistance bonus to your saves from the CoP: Evil.

The devourer remains sitting, but casts a spell that Yoggy is able to identify (if he still lives), and Kel identifies as Spectral Hand. A ghostly hand appears, wafting towards Yoggy's body.

Spoiler
    Show
    The devourer rolled a natural 1 on his attack, so don't worry about that, if you can make it past all the fortitude saves.

Alekel cries out and tries to move in to help Yoggy, but sees the undead and grows panicked. He runs away, putting him next to Alazne with a terrified look in his eyes.

"Yo.. Yog..." He sputters, unable to form words over his terror.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now it's Vael's turn.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-04-25 at 09:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[7]

"Ow.". Yog falls over dead.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2008-04-25 at 04:30 PM.