New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Leases and Legality... *tears hair out*

I turn to you all! Have spent the day looking up lease info and can't find what I need.

4 friends and I were going to get a place together because we're sick of the dorms, so we apply, got it, only prob is I can't get a co-signer. Sooo they won't accept my application (the realty company). One of my friends mentioned just living there/paying rent, only thing is I wouldn't technically be liable for damages and whatnot.

Sounds great but the only problem for me is the legality of it...
    If I do live there, is that a) considered a breach of lease, b)even legal, and c)What are the consequences of getting found out if it isn't legal?

I figured I could ask the company buut then if is not legal but there's no real consequences, waste of a question ;)

Thanks in advance guys, realy appreciate the help.
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-
    Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    I don't join groups i just play with myself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Leases and Legality... *tears hair out*

Quote Originally Posted by †Seer† View Post
    I turn to you all! Have spent the day looking up lease info and can't find what I need.

4 friends and I were going to get a place together because we're sick of the dorms, so we apply, got it, only prob is I can't get a co-signer. Sooo they won't accept my application (the realty company). One of my friends mentioned just living there/paying rent, only thing is I wouldn't technically be liable for damages and whatnot.

Sounds great but the only problem for me is the legality of it...
    If I do live there, is that a) considered a breach of lease, b)even legal, and c)What are the consequences of getting found out if it isn't legal?

I figured I could ask the company buut then if is not legal but there's no real consequences, waste of a question ;)

Thanks in advance guys, realy appreciate the help.
    As a preliminary matter, I'm a law student and have not yet set for the bar exam in any state. As such, I am not qualified to give final legal advice and anything I say on this matter should be taken as personal and not legal advice. Savvy?

In general, leases have boilerplate that prohibit tenants from allowing people to either sub-let without permission or allow people who aren't on the lease to live there.

Under those circumstances, YOU would have no legal right to be there and could be treated as a trespasser and could be evicted at any time. Depending on the provisions in the lease, your friends who ARE on the lease could possibly end up evicted themselves.

In short... it is not legal for you live there after the landlord has refused to accept you as a tenant and if you do so, you'll be doing it at your own very extreme risk. In all likelihood, the landlord WILL find out that you're living their and at the minimum, you WILL be evicted.

If you can't get a co-signer, you're SoL for that place.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, in my understanding it all depends on the lease. Just some things you might get clear:

Is the lease for x # of people? In other words, in my case my lease is a contract between 3 different people and the landlord. So if one of my rmmates leaves, I won't be responsible. I've had leases though where just 1 person was responsible for the whole thing, the rest of us weren't on the lease. But the landlord accepted us living there and took our checks. We just weren't ultimately responsible. Point is, what kind of arrangement does the landlord want?

Also, what does the lease say about guests? If your friends are cool with you living and paying off-lease, before you do so I'd check to see what their leases say about it. For example, my current lease says that we can't have a guest for more than a week without telling the landlord.

You've probably already thought of this, but if your 3 friends have co-signers or are OK for the lease, could one of them co-sign for you? Rent 2 rooms? Talk their co-signers into co-signing for you too?

Good luck!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

*nods* Thanks guys :) Will check the lease and see how it goes.
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Although I'm in Canada and we have different laws here (they actually favour the tenant quite a lot), one thing should still apply in your case:

If you rent a house to yourselves or something else like that, where landlord only comes up to fix the stove and whatnot, chances are no one will care who's living where as long as you pay your rent and don't burn the place down.

If it's an apartment/townhouse/whatnot, chances of "guests" getting evicted increase as noise levels increase. If you just sit there and play XBOX all day, there's no noise, everyone is happy. If you have a kegger every night, it makes you much more likely to get evicted (actually it increases the chances of anyone living there getting kicked out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Although I'm in Canada and we have different laws here (they actually favour the tenant quite a lot), one thing should still apply in your case:
    Actually, landlord/tenant law in both the US and Canada are very similar. They're both derived primarily from English common law, so it's unsurprising.

In both... a person who isn't on the lease generally isn't a tenant: he's a trespasser.
    “Life is made up of constant calls to action, and we seldom have time for more than hastily contrived answers.” -- Learned Hand

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Technically he's only a trespasser if the person living there doesn't want him at the house/apartment (unless it's specifically mentioned in the lease). The landlord has no right to forbid the person to come there. In Canada (or at least BC) he also can't evict people living there who didn't sign a lease without kicking EVERYONE out of the apartment (and even then he has to give a 30 day notice and state a valid reason, just because he doesn't like other people living there is not a valid reason unless mentioned in the lease).

That's the big difference. When I lived in the US I heard of a lot more people getting kicked out because the landlord didn't want them there.

Although I'm not a lawyer so I'm only talking based on experience and not actual code.
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStaticWolf
    As a preliminary matter, I'm a law student and have not yet set for the bar exam in any state. As such, I am not qualified to give final legal advice and anything I say on this matter should be taken as personal and not legal advice. Savvy?
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by †Seer†
    4 friends and I were going to get a place together because we're sick of the dorms, so we apply, got it, only prob is I can't get a co-signer. Sooo they won't accept my application (the realty company).
    What exactly do you need a co-signer for? I'm also somewhat confused since the first sentence suggests your application was successful, and the second suggests otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Technically he's only a trespasser if the person living there doesn't want him at the house/apartment (unless it's specifically mentioned in the lease). The landlord has no right to forbid the person to come there.
    I concur. I believe there's a term in my licence to occupy that no visitor shall stay for more than two nights in any seven, but that's entirely reasonable given the nature of the premises (shared house; bedrooms rented separately) and the fact that it's a licence and not a lease.

In Canada (or at least BC) he also can't evict people living there who didn't sign a lease without kicking EVERYONE out of the apartment (and even then he has to give a 30 day notice and state a valid reason, just because he doesn't like other people living there is not a valid reason unless mentioned in the lease).
    Indeed. His only remedy would be to determine the lease for breach of covenant and recover possession from the tenant. At that point, the tenant's licencees would become trespassers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStaticWolf
    Actually, landlord/tenant law in both the US and Canada are very similar. They're both derived primarily from English common law, so it's unsurprising.
    Short-term residential leases, however, tend to be the subject of extensive statutory regulation. Check your state law code.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

A co-signer is required to rent from the company (as I'm a college student), and the company said my application was acceptable up to the point of a co-signer, as the party who had previously agreed to signing backed out at the last moment.

It seems like it's a matter of the lease, and if there's no clause that restricts sub-letters, then it should be legal to live there, although it would remain on the mercy of the current renters?

Also, is it possible to be signed on to the lease later on? Say for example I get a co-signer from a different source, would the company add me on at a later date?

If anyone wants to/is willing to go over all of this on a messenger or anything, toss me a PM and I'll send info.
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that co-signer clause is pretty common for college students. They basically want to be able to call the guy's parents if he doesn't pay the rent. My personal advice: get the co-signer. If you absolutely, positively can't find one, that's probably a black mark against you anyway. If nobody trusts you with handling the money, why should the landlord? Even so, if you can't find a cosigner you might be able to negotiate a higher price, larger deposit, or something with the landlord. It's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

(Not a lawyer, just have dealt with college landlords before).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Yeah, that co-signer clause is pretty common for college students. They basically want to be able to call the guy's parents if he doesn't pay the rent. My personal advice: get the co-signer. If you absolutely, positively can't find one, that's probably a black mark against you anyway. If nobody trusts you with handling the money, why should the landlord? Even so, if you can't find a cosigner you might be able to negotiate a higher price, larger deposit, or something with the landlord. It's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

(Not a lawyer, just have dealt with college landlords before).
    *nods* Good ideas, will ask 'em when I go in today ^^.
    I guess I should state, I'm proud, and don't like asking for help... 'Tis for that reason it's hard to find one, not because I'm untrustworthy :) I know pride is one of my defects, but I am thinking of asking a family friend to sign.

*EDIT* Another question. In the Residential landlord-tenant act, in section 59.18.570, a 'househeld member' is defined as : *"Household member" means a child or adult residing with the tenant other than the perpetrator of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual assault*

Does that allude to an adult living with their partner being legal, or just that if it is allowed they are protected under the RL-TA?
    Last edited by †Seer†; 2008-04-17 at 12:38 PM.
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Most people just get their parents to co-sign.

We kept a friend in our apartment for one summer. The actual roommate was working out of town. He paid rent and our other friend paid him. 3 or 4 months and the apartment never caught on.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Most people just get their parents to co-sign.
    *nods* Mine are unwilling to due to various reasons.
    Called the company and they're willing to put my app on hold until I can get a signer. Going to make some calls and see what's what ^^

Thank you all very very much! All your info helped a lot/kept me from doing anything stupid
    -Ex Chaos Adveho Ordo-

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo
    Technically he's only a trespasser if the person living there doesn't want him at the house/apartment (unless it's specifically mentioned in the lease). The landlord has no right to forbid the person to come there.
    There's a lot more to trespass than that. You're thinking in terms of the crime/tort of trespass to land. I'm talking about the type of tenancy called tenancy at sufferance. If Seer were to actually live there, it would be at the landlord's sufferance. At the landlord's option, he could treat Seer as a trespasser and have him evicted.

You'd be right if this were the case of a short-term house guest. A landlord can't forbid short-term visitors. However, that isn't the case here. We're not talking about Seer visiting. Seer was talking about actually living there without the landlord's consent. Lease agreements always have provisions that prohibit tenants from doing that kind thing. Such provisions are almost always enforceable (I say almost because I've seen a lease for a HOME that had provision prohibiting any overnight guests... and that wouldn't be enforceable).

Thus, if the landlord feels like it, he could let Seer stay there. Or, he could just kick him out.

However, I do concede that my initial wording was imprecise. Other issues I didn't address because their too complicated and don't really matter: adverse possession.

Quote Originally Posted by unstattedCommoner View Post
    Ditto.
    Fun, innit? I actually like answering questions like this because I consider it good mental exercise and practice.

I concur. I believe there's a term in my licence to occupy that no visitor shall stay for more than two nights in any seven, but that's entirely reasonable given the nature of the premises (shared house; bedrooms rented separately) and the fact that it's a licence and not a lease.
    Actually, lease agreements are largely the same. As a contract, it changes the rights of the parties from what they'd otherwise be. They can and do frequently contain similar enforceable provisions to what you describe. For example, mine has provisions that prohibit me having an overnight guest stay for longer than one week or from sub-letting without written permission from my landlord.

Short-term residential leases, however, tend to be the subject of extensive statutory regulation. Check your state law code.
    Very true. Always read applicable statutes. However, in a situation like this, it's my opinion that the actual terms of the lease are FAR more important. Unless those terms are voidable in some fashion, they'll almost certainly be enforced over the default rights set forth by statute.

So read the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Seer
    *EDIT* Another question. In the Residential landlord-tenant act, in section 59.18.570, a 'househeld member' is defined as : *"Household member" means a child or adult residing with the tenant other than the perpetrator of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual assault*

Does that allude to an adult living with their partner being legal, or just that if it is allowed they are protected under the RL-TA?
    I'd bank on the latter. However, as a practical matter... if you were say... trying to rent a 1 bedroom apartment and you wanted your SO to live with you, MOST landlords would allow it if you actually ASK for permission first. In which case, they'd certainly be covered under the RL-TA. The landlord would probably insist on amending the lease agreement to make the SO secondarily liable for rent, with you remaining primarily liable. At least that's what I'd do in his shoes.

The thing with landlord/tenant relations is... don't look at the landlord like he's your adversary who you have to put one over on. Treat him like a partner and you'll find that he's amenable to a lot of things.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStaticWolf View Post
    There's a lot more to trespass than that. You're thinking in terms of the crime/tort of trespass to land. I'm talking about the type of tenancy called tenancy at sufferance. If Seer were to actually live there, it would be at the landlord's sufferance. At the landlord's option, he could treat Seer as a trespasser and have him evicted.

You'd be right if this were the case of a short-term house guest. A landlord can't forbid short-term visitors. However, that isn't the case here. We're not talking about Seer visiting. Seer was talking about actually living there without the landlord's consent. Lease agreements always have provisions that prohibit tenants from doing that kind thing. Such provisions are almost always enforceable (I say almost because I've seen a lease for a HOME that had provision prohibiting any overnight guests... and that wouldn't be enforceable).

Thus, if the landlord feels like it, he could let Seer stay there. Or, he could just kick him out.

However, I do concede that my initial wording was imprecise. Other issues I didn't address because their too complicated and don't really matter: adverse possession.
    And this is what I meant by differences between US and Canada. Very few leases here actually make a point to say whether guests or other people living there are allowed. And if they do, it's usually for cheapo apartments in poor neighbourhoods.

However, since the OP is in the US and you're a lawyer so you know this stuff better than me, your advice is probably much more useful to Seer.
    Last edited by Don Julio Anejo; 2008-04-17 at 06:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by †Seer† View Post

Since that section forms part of a group of sections dealing with rights of tenants who have been, or whose household members have been, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or sexual assault, I don't immediately see its relevance.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!