Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pink's Wandering Goblins

Spoiler
    Show
    Stance: Gambler's Hand Stance
    Maneuvers: Unseen Hand, Mightstrike, Mighty Throw
    Inspiration: 2/4

Gan

Gan ducks low instinctively, using the grass for cover. Whether he's going to use his cover to kneecap a farmer or to slip away, he wants to have options.

Hide: (1d20+12)[6](18)
    Spot: (1d20)[6](6)
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62

Gan spots a gopher in the grass, which quickly runs into one of its holes as it see the goblin looking at it.

OOC: Extra note here, if you guys do want to just be talking here, as long as it's reasonable, it's free out of initiative action. So even though initiative is running, diplomacy is not completely out the door if you try it...It's only very difficult cause you downed and then proceeded to beat to death his dogs.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Oradell flees and runs behind a tree, squatting against it for cover. He says "If they prove hostile, I will help, but for now I am hiding my keester!"

(1d20+15)[21]

He then peeks out from behind the tree to see if the farmers are angry.

(1d20-1)[1]

4. - Top - End - #64

ooc: What Trees? Also, please label your rolls.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

OOC: It's called aggressive diplomacy, pink. You beat them unconscious, tie them up, and then use diplomacy on them when they wake up. They will soon see the error of their ways.

Much safer than trying to talk down an enraged farmer or three: "Oh, are these your dogs? Damnedest thing, they just came tearing through your fields, and all the way out into these grasslands, totally unprovoked. We had to kill them. In self-defense, you understand. Wait, what are you doing with that pitchfork?"
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-04-22 at 05:36 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Flumph

I hide in the crops. Sorry. Also, the one was spot, and the 25 was hide.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+9)[14]
    Full Round Action spent using Adaptive Style to refresh his maneuvers.

If you guys want to try diplomacy, you might need to rein Krulsch in, especially if they are humans... He has a little... Issue... with them...

Krulsch sees the humanoid shapes and begins to growl deep in his chest at the thought that they might be hated humans... His gauntleted hand clenches tightly, and sets himself, mentally preparing to leap into action.
    Last edited by GammaPaladin; 2008-04-22 at 07:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth makes for cover in the grass, doing what he can to try to see the humans while calling out to them in Common. "We're goblins that were sent to track a raiding party from a hobgoblin tribe we're at war with! Seen any in the area?"

Hide - (1d20+13)[27]
    Spot - (1d20)[15]
    Bluff - (1d20+10)[11]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Skeesky reluctantly hides in the grass away from the recently deceased dogs. He decides to defer to Soth for the speaking while trying to keep an eye on everyone.

Hide
    1d20+14
    (1d20+14)[28]

Spot
    1d20+4
    (1d20+4)[16]

10. - Top - End - #70

Round 6:
    -27 - Gan (Mage Armor)
    -24 - Krulsch
    -16 - Soth
    -13 - Oradell
    -8 - Skeeve
    2 - Farmers (1=Farmer Man, 2= Strongboy, 3 = Farmboy)

As all the goblins except Krulcsh disappear into the wild grasses, the farmers approach, though Gan and Oradell are unable to get a good glance at them from their hiding positions. All three appear to be human, with two of them seeming strong and in their prime while the one furthest back carries the signs of age. The first youth carries a fine looking pitchfork that he carries in one hand and a wooden shield in the other, and wears a leather jerkin, while the rest of his clothes seem to be simple farming clothes. The second though, has a uniform of sorts underneath his chain shirt and has a longsword in one hand and a shining metal shield in the other and walks with the self assured grace of a swordsman. The third, the one who has previously yelled at you, wears only a leather jerkin for defence and his weapon seems strange, if it is a weapon. It's a long tube of metal with wood attached to the end, and out of the tube comes a faint trail of smoke.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, you do not know what guns are, you have not heard of guns. You know of magic, yes, but not guns. well, unless some of those that have travelled have a sufficient knowledge check to back it up.

As they approach, the older man, with sufficient speed and dexterity, grabs something from a pouch and a hollowed out horn from his belt, and seems to put them into the metal tube, before aiming it at Krulsch.
    "Ain't never heard of any goblins at war with hobgobs. Come on, up out of the grass, drop your weapons, and tell me what you did to my dogs and what yer doin' on my land. If'n I believe you mean no harm you can get, back where you from. But if you've hurt my dogs I'm expecting you're gonna pay me back for them."
    Last edited by Pink; 2008-04-30 at 10:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth breathes deep, thinking rapidly before casting Ghost Sound, looking at Krulsch before standing up after completing the spell. With rustling and the occasional hushed whisper coming from the direction of S15, Soth holds his club out in front of him so the farmers can see it before dropping it to the ground. He then glances at Krulsch, addressing him in Common loud enough for the humans to hear him. "Drop it, Krulsch. We don't know about that weapon aimed at you any more than they know about our politics."

12. - Top - End - #72

Gan

Gan stands and brushes himself off. This is almost certainly not going to end well, but he'll be damned if he'll hide on his belly in the grass in front of some shmoe with a pitchfork! Whatever the device the old one might be carrying could be, Gan doubts it'll be much use if it comes to a fight. How much damage could a little tube of metal do?

"We take a look to see who owns this heap of sod, your dogs attack us for no reason, and we should pay you for the pleasure of being set upon by your mutts?" Gan asks derisively in Common. "If anything, you should have to pay us for not showing you why trifling with goblins of our caliber is a bad idea."

(OOC: Awesome, the game's not dead! Incidentally, it's usually a good rule of thumb to try and keep Gan from opening his mouth.)

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Flumph

Oradell quickly panics! He doesn't know common. How can he communicate with these strange farmers. He puts down his weapons and looks at the farmers with a look that says "DON"T HURT ME! I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"

14. - Top - End - #74

Skeesky sheathes his weapon as quietly as possible and stands up slowly. "Oradell settle down. They don't mean us harm, yet." Skeesky watches the humans carefully in case they make any sudden movements with their weapons.

15. - Top - End - #75

Round 7:
    -27 - Gan (Mage Armor)
    -24 - Krulsch (Downed)
    -16 - Soth
    -13 - Oradell
    -8 - Skeeve
    2 - Farmers (1=Farmer Man, 2= Strongboy, 3 = Farmboy)

As most of the others lower their weapons and Gan makes his insults to the farmers, Krulsch slowly swings his drow chain. At the end of Gan's taunt, with a grim smile Krulsch replies in the goblin tongue, "Like I'm going to let humans live when they try to threaten me."

And with that he runs towards the fence, a brilliant sight of athletic ability, leaping it in a single jumping. However midair, with another sound like a crack of thunder, a small burst of fire seems to emit from the strange metal tube the man carries and blood violently emits from Krulsch's back and he falls to the ground on the other side of the fence.

"Alright, now I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm not a fighter or a killer. I'm a man trying to protect his family, his land, and his livelihood. Now one last time, you leave here if you mean harm and never return, or come forward without your weapons, no tricks, and we'll have a chat and see if we can't work this out." The man says, reloading the weapon mechanically, but not aiming it at anyone in particular, just keeping it ready. Occasionally him and the farmboy give a look towards the possible corpse of Krulsch, but the soldierly one keeps focused in his gaze.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Keeping focus on the Ghost Sound spell, Soth slowly makes his way forward with his hands in the air, speaking first in Goblin, then in Common. "Oradell, we all speak Common. Gan, you shouldn't. As Gan has already stated, we killed your dogs. They pursued Gan to our main group, who was scouting the area to see if you locals were humanoids that could be spoken with in a civil manner, and we fought in self defense. As for Krulsch... He had some bad history with humans. Don't let his actions represent us."

17. - Top - End - #77

Flumph

OOC: Sorry, I thought that common went off of our character sheets,

Oradell says "Please don't hurt us! We were just looking to see if you were the Hobgoblins that torture our home or somebody who we could talk civily with. Your dogs attacked us, thinking we were thieves, and diplomacy doesn't work on dogs."

18. - Top - End - #78

Skeesky walks over to the fallen Krulsch without saying a word. He bends down to see if there's any life in his eyes at all.

"I see we are at an impasse of practicality." He comments flatly.

Skeesky makes a point of laying down his weapon in such a way that the humans can see him taking the action.

19. - Top - End - #79

"Hey pa, I Don't think that's all of them." Says the farming youth with the pitchfork, taking a step towards the rustling and whispers caused by Soth.

"Don't fall for it, I don't see any goblins there. It's an illusion most likely. One of them's an arcanist." Comes the confident reply from the soldier.

"I thought I asked for no tricks here." says the farmer with a slightly disappointed expression on his face.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Flumph

OOC: OK, it has been re-established I don't know common, so disredgard my last post where I talked.

Oradell whispers to Soth "Soth, please reveal yourself. These guys mean serious business. They shot good old Krulsch, and I don't want you to share his fate. The man with the magic tube that downs people in one shot could shoot the bush, and you might be killed." He then looks with concern at Krulsch's possibly dead body, wondering if his friend will survive.

(Unless, of course, the ghost sound is calling this. Oradell then says in place of the first couple of lines "Soth, turn off the ghost sound. They mean business.")
    Last edited by OOTS_Rules 2; 2008-05-09 at 09:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth gives Oradell a look before ceasing focus on the spell. "I specialize in illusion magic. I feel vulnerable if I don't have a trick ready."

22. - Top - End - #82

Flumph

Oradell whispers "I know, but if they saw you channeling that spell, they might have hit you with that. . . . thing that I shall call the Bang Tube. You saw what it did to poor, poor Krulsch." Oradell points to Krulsch for emphasis. Oradell sheds a single tear as he remembers how the farmer shot Krulsch

23. - Top - End - #83

"They're not getting any less suspicious with us talking among ourselves here."

To the farmers:
    "We've dropped our weapons. Are you ready to 'chat'?"

Skeesky also keeps an eye open for a moment to regain his mental composure (refresh maneuvers).

24. - Top - End - #84

Flumph

Oradell nods and decides to keep his mouth shut during this situation. For all he knows, the farmers could hear his begs for mercy as "ATTACK, MY FELLOW GOBLINS!" However, he whispers to Skeesky "Please kindly inform them that I do not know Common."
    Last edited by OOTS_Rules 2; 2008-05-10 at 09:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

OOC: How close are you getting to them? 20'? 15'? 10'? And martial adepts, I think we'll call this the end of the combat part of the encounter for now.

"Sure are, provided you don't have a knife hidden amongst ya." The farmer says, laying his strange weapon on the ground to the gasps of the other two that accompany him. He then gives them both a quick look that tells them to do the same. To this end the one youth quickly sheds his combat pitchfork on the ground, the other though only sheathes his sword and keeps shield in hand. With a sigh the farmer tries to start the conversation. "Alright, first things first. How many of you speak proper common eh?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Flumph

Oradell shakes his head "No." He then takes off his chain shirt, shakes it to show there is no hidden blade, searches the pockets of his normal clothing to show them that nothing is in there, and takes off his boots to show there is nothing in there. He then puts his boots and chain shirt back on.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth jerks a thumb in the direction of Oradell as they approach, Soth himself coming over the fence. "Oradell there is the only one of us of health who doesn't speak Common, although I doubt my associate who spoke in a hostile tone earlier could be said to speak it properly. Gan, mind keeping your commentary in Goblin if you're going to maintain the attitude?"

28. - Top - End - #88

"I speak Common, but I'm not prone to eloquence." Skeesky doesn't move from his position near the fallen Krulsch. He watches the farmers closely and listens to their movements but doesn't speak any further words.

29. - Top - End - #89

There's a small moment as oradell partially undresses to show his lack of weapons. After he's finished a small smile crosses the farmer's face, while a frown creases the features of the soldier boy.

"Alright then, feel free to translate for your friend. I'm Peter McCready, these are my two sons, Thomas," He says, pointing to the one in armor, "And Harry." He indicates the other one, who is now looking more curiously at the goblins now that combat is ended. "Now. I'm going to assume you've killed my dogs. Now, while I know you didn't know this, those dogs are trained to attack lurkers and intruders. If you had gone around the fence to the front gate or didn't stand your ground against them this close to the fence, they wouldn't have done more than chase and bark at you. Those dogs cost me alot of money, and you killed them all so I don't even have one to breed with. Now, if you really mean no harm to me and my family, and are just here escaping whatever feud you have with your larger kin, why did you stand your ground, and what do you plan to do to make restitution."
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Soth nodded as he took the information in, then glanced at Gan. "Gan here was the one who was scouting out the area, we were trying to figure out if you locals were hostile. Now, Gan, do you think there was any way for you to know how to move around the dogs without making them violently hostile?"

He then looked over at Oradell. "Check Krulsch's body for anything of value that we can't use. We don't have much in money, but if we can give them goods to sell that should cover restitution enough."